Print Page | Close Window

The Brusilov and Kerenski offensives

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Military History
Forum Discription: Discussions related to military history: generals, battles, campaigns, etc.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1947
Printed Date: 20-Apr-2024 at 01:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Brusilov and Kerenski offensives
Posted By: dark_one
Subject: The Brusilov and Kerenski offensives
Date Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 20:57
 All I know about them is that they destroyed Austria Hungary and that they wer eled by Brusilov. If anyone has history of the campaigns (maps greatly appreciated) I ask that you post them here.

Replies:
Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 01:22
I can tell you the tactics used by the initial offensives by Brusilov were then copied by the Germnans to become the vaunted stormtrooper tactics, which Germany for some reason gets credit for

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 14:28
 That has to do with how much mroe effectiv ethe Germans' use of the tactics was. Russiant roops ran out of ammo. The first time the Result was the February revolution. The second offensive even Brusilov turned on Russia, Kornilov marched upon Petrograd, huge riots and demonstrations errupted, the Russian army got up and ran back int he direction of Moscow and the Germans and Austrians ddn't even bother to chase us and then the October Revolution. Ironically there was enough ammo for the front, but it didn't get there. That ammo was used byt he Bolsheviks to fight the entire civil war.

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2005 at 15:03
 Come on I really need to know this stuff

Posted By: Sikander
Date Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 16:12

Try at these:

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/lutsk.htm - http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/lutsk.htm

http://www.worldwar1.com - http://www.worldwar1.com

http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi - http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi

Oh, and an extra (you will kiss my feet after this!)

http://www.ww1-propaganda-cards.com/index.html - http://www.ww1-propaganda-cards.com/index.html

Best

Sikander

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 04:19

edited for racism! Poster banned!

-------------

Posted By: Teup
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 04:45
What does Microsoft Windows have to do with this?

-------------
Whatever you do, don't

Posted By: Sikander
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 10:34

Oh, and look for Osprey' "The Russian Army 1914-19182. In the final pages it has something about he Brusilov Ofensive which, by the way, was trully devastating. If the Rusians had had a good supply system in order to keep the ofensive going on for some 4 more mounths, the austrians would have been knocked out of the war.

Go, frontoviki, go!

Sikander

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 13:42
CONTENT REMOVED

-------------

Posted By: white dragon
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 16:18
The Russian Army 1914-19182
endquote

whoa!! The kinda a broad topic huh

-------------
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman

Date Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 16:26
 Yeah. thankfully the czar was killed and Brusilov served in the Red Army helping the civil war end quicker (reds would ahve won anyway).

Posted By: Jonathan4290
Date Posted: 11-Mar-2008 at 15:25
I'm doing a study on insurgencies and am looking for a good back on the Russian Revolution and Lenin's strategies as a whole. Any suggestions?? It needs to have an English translation though, I'm learning Russian but I'm not THAT fluent.

-------------
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.

Posted By: deadkenny
Date Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 12:03
Originally posted by Tobodai

I can tell you the tactics used by the initial offensives by Brusilov were then copied by the Germnans to become the vaunted stormtrooper tactics, which Germany for some reason gets credit for

No, this is false.  The Germans didn't 'copy' their inflitration tactics from the Russians, or anyone else for that matter.  The Germans were already experimenting with these tactics themselves in 1915, albeit on a small scale.  The Germans increased the scale of their use in 1916, at Verdun and finally used them on a large scale against the Italians and Russians in 1917.  Their final use was in the western offensives in 1918.

-------------
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 12:05
Originally posted by Jonathan4290

I'm doing a study on insurgencies and am looking for a good back on the Russian Revolution and Lenin's strategies as a whole. Any suggestions?? It needs to have an English translation though, I'm learning Russian but I'm not THAT fluent.

Are in interested in the period prior to and up to the overthrow of the Tsarist and 'Parliamentary' governments?  Or are you interested in the later 'consolidation' of power?

-------------
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Date Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 12:16
Originally posted by dark_one

All I know about them is that they destroyed Austria Hungary and that they wer eled by Brusilov. If anyone has history of the campaigns (maps greatly appreciated) I ask that you post them here.

Two separate offensives with different effects.  The Brusilov Offensive in 1916 did succeed in inflicting a crushing defeat on Austria-Hungary.  It further succeeded in forcing Germany to cease their concentration on the west and shift forces east in order to prop up their ally.  On the other hand it was a bit of a two edged sword as far as its effects, as ultimately the Russian offensive was stopped (with German intervention) and the Russians suffered massive losses themselves.  At that point AH was crippled, but not knocked out of the war and the Russians themselves were hurt badly.

The Kerensky Offensive was much worse for the Russians.  Although it was intended, and initially achieved some success, in targeting the Austro-Hungarians, it achieved far less than the Brusilov Offensive in terms of inflicting damage on AH forces.  On the other hand, the combined German and A-H forces stopped the Russians much more quickly in 1917 than they had in 1916, and in turn inflicted a significant defeat upon the Russians.

The Brusilov Offensive is viewed as a Russian success, although at a heavy cost, in that it achieved the strategic objectives of inflicting a defeat on A-H and forcing Germany to shift forces from their western offensive to the east.  The Kerensky Offensive is viewed as a defeat, as it achieved little positive result, but was the beginning of the end of Russian participation in the war.

-------------

Posted By: Jonathan4290
Date Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 14:57
Originally posted by deadkenny

Are in interested in the period prior to and up to the overthrow of the Tsarist and 'Parliamentary' governments?  Or are you interested in the later 'consolidation' of power?

More so prior. The later consolidation of power would refer to the full-scale war right? I'm definitely looking to study the growth of the Communist movement before the war but specifically in Russia. Any suggestions would be helpful however.

-------------
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 12-Mar-2008 at 19:19

Two separate offensives with different effects.  The Brusilov Offensive in 1916 did succeed in inflicting a crushing defeat on Austria-Hungary.  It further succeeded in forcing Germany to cease their concentration on the west and shift forces east in order to prop up their ally.  On the other hand it was a bit of a two edged sword as far as its effects, as ultimately the Russian offensive was stopped (with German intervention) and the Russians suffered massive losses themselves.  At that point AH was crippled, but not knocked out of the war and the Russians themselves were hurt badly.

The Kerensky Offensive was much worse for the Russians.  Although it was intended, and initially achieved some success, in targeting the Austro-Hungarians, it achieved far less than the Brusilov Offensive in terms of inflicting damage on AH forces.  On the other hand, the combined German and A-H forces stopped the Russians much more quickly in 1917 than they had in 1916, and in turn inflicted a significant defeat upon the Russians.

The Brusilov Offensive is viewed as a Russian success, although at a heavy cost, in that it achieved the strategic objectives of inflicting a defeat on A-H and forcing Germany to shift forces from their western offensive to the east.  The Kerensky Offensive is viewed as a defeat, as it achieved little positive result, but was the beginning of the end of Russian participation in the war.

actually the whole point of the Brusilov offensive was to call of the K.u.K. offensive in Italy, which suceeded.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 01:13

More so prior. The later consolidation of power would refer to the full-scale war right? I'm definitely looking to study the growth of the Communist movement before the war but specifically in Russia. Any suggestions would be helpful however.

Yes, the 'consolidation' period would run into the Civil War.  For the revolution itself you might want to check out "Ten Days that Shook the World" by Reed. 

-------------

Posted By: Sarmat
Date Posted: 13-Mar-2008 at 05:45
One can hardly compare Brusilov's offensive which was one of the most succesful operation of the whole WWI with Kerensky's offensive which actually was a big joke. At that time the famous order number 1 was in effect in the Russian army. It basically meant that the soldiers could refuse to attack should they will to do so. The offensive basically stoped after the first two lines of thenches of the Austro-German defences were crossed simply because the soldiers didn't want to continue the attack. Russian army at that point was a mob of armed and disorganized people rather than an effective fighting force.

-------------
Σαυρομάτης

Posted By: Challenger2
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 17:29

No, this is false.  The Germans didn't 'copy' their inflitration tactics from the Russians, or anyone else for that matter...

You keep saying this without offering any evidence to support your theory. Care to elaborate?

BTW been away for a while, but I vaguely recall I was to respond to one of your posts, but can't remember where. Confused

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 18:03
Originally posted by Challenger2

No, this is false.  The Germans didn't 'copy' their inflitration tactics from the Russians, or anyone else for that matter...

You keep saying this without offering any evidence to support your theory. Care to elaborate?

BTW been away for a while, but I vaguely recall I was to respond to one of your posts, but can't remember where. Confused

Interesting that when I asked you for sources for your claims your response was that the information was 'readily available in the public records'.  Also interesting that you don't ask those claiming that the Germans 'copied' infilitration tactics from someone else (although who the someone else is varies from claim to claim) to support their claims.

However, there is an extensive discussion of this point in another thread, started by you in fact : http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=22423&PN=10 - http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=22423&PN=10

Already in 1915 the Germans were 'experimenting' with platoon level 'combined arms' teams using 'infiltration' like tactics.  The Germans expanded the use of these tactics during their Verdun offensive and Ludendorff supported the further use and development of the concept.  All of the combatants, on the western front in particular, were trying to cope with the same problems and not surprizingly came up with similar solutions.  However, there is no evidence that the Germans simply 'copied' the tactics of their opponents in 1917, and to the contrary there is plenty of evidence that they were working on their own development as far back as 1915.  For example, the following is taken from "Historical Applications Of Maneuver Warfare In The 20th Century" by Major Peter E. Higgins, USMC

Originally posted by Major Higgins

In 1915 Captain Rohr was one of the first commanders of the
Assault Detachment.  His mission was to use his experience to
develop new tactics and provide detachments to support offensives
in the western front.  What he had to work with included a machine
gun platoon, a trench mortar platoon, a flamethrower platoon and
some 76.2 mm field guns.24

Rohr would meld these weapon systems together into one unit.  For
an assault to be effective, he wanted speed and violence of execution.
He first worked on perfecting the following three elements:

(1) Replace the skirmish line with the surprise assault of
         squad size stormtroopers.
     (2)  Use supporting arms (machineguns, mortars, artillery and
          flamethrowers) coordinated at the lowest level to suppress
          the enemy during attack.
     (3)  The clearing of trenche by "rolling them up" with troops
          armed with hand grenades.

The stormtroopers' mission was to cross "no man's land" and
take possession of the enemy's trench.  The squads were trained to
move as individual units, taking advantage of the cover and con-
cealment that the terrain provided.  This changed the role of the
NCO from being behind his men and pushing them forward to being
in front of them to lead them, and making decisions.  Indirect
artillery was used to both suppress enemy batteries and provide
a box barrage on the objective to seal it off from the battlefield.
The preparatory fire was to suppress and paralyze the enemy so that
the stormtroopers could maneuver.  It came to be realized that
artillery tended to keep heads down rather than tear them off.
Accuracy and timeliness of fires, as well as the ability of the
infantry to exploit its effects, came to be seen as more important
than the volume or duration of fire.

Stormtroopers were employed at Verdun in February 1916.  They
moved right up to the artillery barrage, risking the occassional
casualty from short artillery rounds in order to be able to fully
exploit the effects of the fire.  Sometimes they could take
possession of a trench within seconds of the barrage being lifted.
This was when the French were caught in their dugouts.  The second
wave of the attack would contain infantry in skirmish lines who
were to defend the captured trenches from counterattacks.  The third
wave of men would carry ammo, tools and material to improve the
trench and build breastworks.  The six machineguns assigned to the
infantry battalion would also move forward with this wave.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 18:59
I don't think storm trooper tactics was copied by Germans from Brusilov offensive. In fact. I'm more inclined to think that it was actually copied by Russian from Germans.

The innovation of Brusilov's offensive was in another area. The most innovative think was that Brusilov rejected long preparation artillery bombardment as was alway done before. Usually, during the earlier offensive operations the attackers bombarded one fixed area in the enemy defences for many hours and even days. This allowed the defenders to move the troops to the anticipated area of attack and to prepare adequately right in the point of planned attack. Instead, Brusilov didn't concentrate the artilery at one point but ordered a swift, shotr artillery preparation along the whole line of Austro-German defences. That brought much confusion to the Central powers command, since they couldn't predict where where will the actual attack take place. As a result, Austro-germans were unable to concentrate enought troops in the areas where the main Russian attacks were supposed to be. By using this innovative tactics Russian army was able to quickly overun several lines of heavy fortified defences, which was a stunning succes. I believe this perhaps was copied later by the Germans during their later offensive operations but not the concept of stormtroopers.

-------------
Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 20:39

Interesting that when I asked you for sources for your claims your response was that the information was 'readily available in the public records'.  Also interesting that you don't ask those claiming that the Germans 'copied' infilitration tactics from someone else (although who the someone else is varies from claim to claim) to support their claims.

Is it? I was just checking to see whether you'd read any of these "public records"Big%20smile
I don't need to ask anyone else to "prove" the Germans copied; that's also in the public record, albeit hotly debated by "German supremacists" [by that I mean those that think the German Army was "perfect", not the less savoury definition of the word "supremacist"Wink].

Andre Lafargue's training pamphlet was widely circulated along the Western front by August 1915, Rohr took over the Sturm Abteilung in September 1915 and radically overhauled and changed it's tactics until it was first used in anger in October at Verdun. Prior to Rohr, the Abteilung had been developed and used as slow moving "armoured" infantry. Such a radical change in emphasis "out of the blue" was either an epiphany by Rohr, or he'd read Lafargue's pamphlet.

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 20:46
oh well, so from what you are saying, you just assume they must have copied it because you don't believe the German Army could have been expert enough....? Ermm

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2008 at 23:55

Is it? I was just checking to see whether you'd read any of these "public records"Big%20smile
I don't need to ask anyone else to "prove" the Germans copied; that's also in the public record, albeit hotly debated by "German supremacists" [by that I mean those that think the German Army was "perfect", not the less savoury definition of the word "supremacist"Wink].

Andre Lafargue's training pamphlet was widely circulated along the Western front by August 1915, Rohr took over the Sturm Abteilung in September 1915 and radically overhauled and changed it's tactics until it was first used in anger in October at Verdun. Prior to Rohr, the Abteilung had been developed and used as slow moving "armoured" infantry. Such a radical change in emphasis "out of the blue" was either an epiphany by Rohr, or he'd read Lafargue's pamphlet.

Your attitude would seem to be no better than the Germany army 'fanboys', just biased in a different direction.

Once again you provide a number of inaccurate statements with no supporting quotes or cites.  Laffargue's pamphlet wasn't published until early 1916, so it's difficult to imagine how it could have been 'widely circulated along the Western front by August 1915' as you claim (any source for this?).  Once again you simply 'make up' facts to fit your theory.  Your characterization of the  Sturmabteilung prior to Rohr's assignment as commander is likewise inaccurate. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 12:54
Originally posted by Temujin

oh well, so from what you are saying, you just assume they must have copied it because you don't believe the German Army could have been expert enough....? Ermm

No, not at all, the German army's expertise is not the question; it's just that German experiments were heading down the road of heavily armoured assault Pioneers, supported by integral light artillery, when there's a sudden change which coincidentally[?] coincides with Lafargues' publication?

It's not my assumption, historians like Griffiths, Strachan, etc have come to similar conclusions.  

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 12:59

Your attitude would seem to be no better than the Germany army 'fanboys', just biased in a different direction.

That's probably a reasonable supposition; I freely admit to search for historical truth, through the myriad of propaganda and mythology that surrounds the German "war machine". Wink

Once again you provide a number of inaccurate statements with no supporting quotes or cites.  Laffargue's pamphlet wasn't published until early 1916, so it's difficult to imagine how it could have been 'widely circulated along the Western front by August 1915' as you claim (any source for this?).  Once again you simply 'make up' facts to fit your theory.  Your characterization of the  Sturmabteilung prior to Rohr's assignment as commander is likewise inaccurate. 

Fair enough, why don't you enlighten me with your vastly superior knowledge, instead of just blandly saying I'm wrong. I stand ready to be convinced!

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 14:01

That's probably a reasonable supposition; I freely admit to search for historical truth, through the myriad of propaganda and mythology that surrounds the German "war machine". Wink 

You claim to be searching for the 'truth', however, it appears more like you are engaged in 'campaign' which is just as wrong as the 'fanboys' but in the opposite direction (i.e. emphasizing the 'negative' and rejecting the 'positive').  If one is truly interested in the truth, then one must be open to accept whatever that is, and not 'edit' findings to conveniently fit preconceived ideas or theories.

Fair enough, why don't you enlighten me with your vastly superior knowledge, instead of just blandly saying I'm wrong. I stand ready to be convinced!

This comes off as sarcastic, not sincere, to me.  In any case, for whoever might be interested in the real facts (whether or not you are one of them) I will point out a couple things.  First, in the context of this thread, the claim was that the Germans 'copied' what the Russians did during the Brusilov Offensive.  The fact, that I have well established with a cite, is that the Germans were already developing and using such tactics through 1915 and at Verdun (on a larger scale ) in 1916, before the Brusilov Offensive.  So that particular version of the theory that Germany 'copied' infiltration tactics is a non-starter.  Similar versions of the 'copied' theory claim that it was the French or British (anyone care to make a claim for the Italians, or Serbs, or Turks....?) that the Germans 'copied' from.  British claims can be similarly refuted based on the timing.  So we are left with Laffargue's pamphlet.  Captain Laffargue wrote his pamphlet based on his experience in a French attack in May 1915.  It was not published and did not fall into German hands until 1916.  So again the timing is off.  The Germans established  their first Sturmabteilung  unit in March 1915.  Although they did make use of shields and body armour, the reason was because they were attempting to do the same thing as was done earlier, which was get in close to their own artillery bombardment as well as exposing themselves to enemy fire by their rapid (not slow) advance.  You try to make it sound as if they were acting like one man tanks and advancing slowly through the open, which is not true.  The fact is, the big change that occurred when Rohr took over is that the unit up to that point had not been used 'properly' (i.e. to 'spearhead' attacks) because the higher ups didn't know what to make of it, or rejected 'innovation' out of hand.  Rohr, based on his own experiences (not a French pamphlet), managed to further develop the tactics and use and coordination of the various weapons.  This was not a 'sudden change of direction', no more so than might be expected with a new person in charge. 

Anyone who is sincerely interested can reference "Stormtroop Tactics:  Innovation in the German Army 1914-1918" by Bruce Gundmundsson.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2008 at 20:34

It's not my assumption, historians like Griffiths, Strachan, etc have come to similar conclusions.  

did they actually found solid evidence like orders or memoires or is it just what they 'concluded'?

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 22:55

Been away for the Easter break so couldnt get back to you earlier.

This comes off as sarcastic, not sincere, to me. In any case, for whoever might be interested in the real facts (whether or not you are one of them) I will point out a couple things.

My, arent we touchy; and leaping like a spring lamb to conclusions, as usual.Smile

First, in the context of this thread, the claim was that the Germans 'copied' what the Russians did during the Brusilov Offensive. The fact, that I have well established with a cite, is that the Germans were already developing and using such tactics through 1915 and at Verdun (on a larger scale ) in 1916, before the Brusilov Offensive. So that particular version of the theory that Germany 'copied' infiltration tactics is a non-starter.

I agree; this was never my contention or had anything to do with your subsequent post that I challenged. Lets move on.

Similar versions of the 'copied' theory claim that it was the French or British- (anyone care to make a claim for the Italians, or Serbs, or Turks....?) that the Germans 'copied' from. British claims can be similarly refuted based on the timing. So we are left with Laffargue's pamphlet.

DeadKennys, like Gudmundssons account, completely ignores British and French tactical innovations at Neuve Chapelle, (10th March 1915) Festubert-Artois (May-June 1915) and Loos (Sept-Oct 1915) where, for example, the 15th Scottish Div history states that following the Creeping Barrage, The scene resembled nothing so much as a cross country race with a full field. Men ran as if for a prize and continued to do so for some four miles into the heart of the German defences. [J. Buchan, The Long Road to Victory] and similarly, The French had already adopted the self-contained Platoon as a unit. Tiny groups, taking every advantage of cover, swarmed forward, intangible as will o the wisps, illusive as quicksilver. The German artillery was baffled and their defences overrun by these handfuls of men who were everywhere at once. In a few minutes they had disappeared over the skyline. The attack had been successful. (Eye witness account of a typical French attack on 1st July 1916 by Maj-Gen Sir Edward Spears cited in White Heat: The New Warfare 1914-18 by J. Terraine, describing Allied infiltration methods in use up to that point in the war.)

Captain Laffargue wrote his pamphlet based on his experience in a French attack in May 1915.  It was not published and did not fall into German hands until 1916. So again the timing is off. The Germans established their first Sturmabteilung unit in March 1915. Although they did make use of shields and body armour, the reason was because they were attempting to do the same thing as was done earlier, which was get in close to their own artillery bombardment as well as exposing themselves to enemy fire by their rapid (not slow) advance. You try to make it sound as if they were acting like one man tanks and advancing slowly through the open, which is not true.

Nonsense. A man carrying 30-60lb of armour, bulletproof shield and miscellaneous equipment tends not to move as rapidly as you seem to think or want to believe. The first Sturmabteilung unit was designed more as assault Pioneers to facilitate clearance of strongpoints and trenches during regular attacks. They were not trained in any form of infiltration tactics at this point in time, and you know it [or perhaps you dont?]. Allow me to quote from your source, (Page 46-47 of Gudmundsson)

On March 2, 1915, the War Ministry ordered the Eighth Army Corps to form an Assault Detachment (Sturmabteilung) from men provided by pioneer units. In the course of the month of March, this unit, consisting of a headquarters, two pioneer companies, and an overgrown battery of 20 of the lightweight Krupp guns, was assembled at the artillery range at Wahn. The officer chosen to command this unit, Major Calsow, was a pioneer.

The Assault Detachment spent the months of April and May, 1915, developing techniques for using the Krupp guns, which were soon christened "assault cannon" (Sturmkannone), in combat. The men of the cannon battery were trained in the care, manipulation, and firing of the cannon themselves, while the men of the pioneer companies developed techniques for ensuring that the cannon got across "no man's land" and the first enemy trench in condition to take part in the fight. Besides brushing up on the traditional pioneer skill of clearing barbed wire and other obstacles, they practiced using portable steel shields to protect those clearing obstacles from enemy fire.

This training, however, was never put to use. The first combat mission of the Assault Detachment was the defence of a section of the German trench line in France. The pioneers were used as line infantry while the assault cannon were used like the very weapons that they had been procured to combat -- as light field pieces positioned to the rear of the German front line trench. The cost of this improper employment was high. In the month of June the two pioneer companies had taken so many casualties from French artillery bombardments that they had to be consolidated into one under strength company.

The assault cannon proved to be unsuited to employment near the front line. Each time one fired, its pronounced muzzle flash made it easy for the French to determine its exact position. Once located, the assault cannon became the favorite targets of the French artillery.

Needless to say, such a weapon soon became quite unpopular with the troops that had to serve in its vicinity.

In August of 1915 Major Calsow was relieved of the command of the Assault Detachment despite his protest that the poor showing of his unit had been due to the fact that it had not been employed in accordance with the instructions of the War Ministry. In the eyes of Colonel Bauer, Major Calsow's main failing was that he did not see the true potential of the Assault Detachment. Calsow did not share Colonel Bauer's vision of the Assault Detachment as a laboratory where new techniques could be tried out and a school where they could be taught. Rather, he had been content to command a unit that provided other units with detachments of assault cannon and pioneers.

Anyone who is sincerely interested can reference "Stormtroop Tactics:  Innovation in the German Army 1914-1918" by Bruce Gundmundsson.

And anyone who does will realise, amongst other things, that theres no n in Gudmundsson. Tongue

A serious scholar like DeadKenny could also have mentioned the following works to get a Teutophile view of German tactical achievement in the Great War;

The Dynamics of Doctrine: The changes in German Tactical Doctrine during the First World War by T T Lupfer

Doctrine and Dogma: German and British Infantry Tactics in the First World War by M Samuels

If Germany attacks by G C Wynne

And of course, the classic:

The Storm of Steel by E Jűnger, and Die Deutsche Strurmbataillone im Weltkrieg by Helmuth Gruss

All excellent examples of accounts of how the Germans did things that generally ignore, or chose to overlook allied achievements. Gudmundssons highly informative thesis is marred by the fact he generally omits the effects of parallel Allied tactical developments which were often [but not always] far ahead of the Germans themselves.

Clearly DeadKenny has reached the pinnacle of enlightenment and I sit in awe at his pronouncements. The rest of us mere seekers after the truth who labour in the fog of uncertainty and the mists of mythology will soon discover that Gudmundsson published his work in the late 80s, so would not have been aware of subsequent research in the 90s which finally determined that there was a fatal mix up due to a confusion between Laffargues Impressions and Reflexions and a competing pamphlet called LEtude sur lAttaque written by a Commandant Lachevre, C.O. of the 74th Infantry Regiment, and published by the French Army in November 1915 and translated for the British in June 1916, (according to the OH 1917 vol.2) and quoted erroneously by Gudmundsson in his book as the work of LaffargueOops.

Date Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 22:59

did they actually found solid evidence like orders or memoires or is it just what they 'concluded'?

I don't know. In reality all sides cherry picked ideas and "best practice" from each other and on balance of probability it was highly likely Rohr, et al experienced French or British methods and were inspired accordingly. They were hardly likely to admit to "cribbing from the enemy" were they. Big%20smile 

Date Posted: 25-Mar-2008 at 20:19
why not?

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2008 at 18:25

why not?

Personal Ego? National pride? If you highlight the fact in your training manuals that you cribbed ideas from your enemies, isn't there an implication that they're better than you, or you are not as good as you think you are? Wink

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2008 at 19:12
thats just jumping on conclusions, what makes you think so in the first place? why do people like to think Imperial Germany was a xenophobic isolationist country with too much national pride? this was so totally not the case, even the most nationalist soldiers often admitted the fighting courage and spirit of the enemy, there's no logical reason for me to assume they would have not mentioned foreign tactic manuals in their reports.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2008 at 20:38
I agree with Temujin. In fact, recently I have come to the conclusion that Germany became the victim of the Entente's imperialism. She was the last country to want WWI. Unfortunately, most of the accounts we have about Germany in the context of WWI are biased and this also relates to the specialized military literature as well.

-------------
Σαυρομάτης

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 12:38

thats just jumping on conclusions, what makes you think so in the first place? why do people like to think Imperial Germany was a xenophobic isolationist country with too much national pride? this was so totally not the case, even the most nationalist soldiers often admitted the fighting courage and spirit of the enemy, there's no logical reason for me to assume they would have not mentioned foreign tactic manuals in their reports.

I was merely providing suppositions, not jumping anywhere. Smile

Temujin, Im not sure what you expect me to say here, unless you want me to admit to non existent "anti-German sentiments". Have you read any tactical manuals that actually say a given method was borrowed from an enemy at the time? I havent. Tactical manuals are not history books and tend not to dwell on context. Their function is to detail and instruct, nothing more.

In any event one thing everyone agrees on is that Laffargues pamphlet [amongst others] was captured, translated and widely distributed throughout the German army. The debate revolves around the timing and its likely effect on Rohrs thinking.

To keep blandly stating, like D-K, with absolute certainty based on publications over a decade old that Rohr never copied French, or British for that matter, methods demonstrates a mind closed to contrary argument. History is never that clear cut. What was true 10 years ago may not be true 10 years from now. Currently the prevailing view is that Rohr copied. In the absence of facts to repudiate this view, Im happy to go along with that. If I find anything supporting a contrary view, Im equally happy to entertain the possibility he didnt. 

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 12:40
Originally posted by Sarmat12

....that Germany became the victim of the Entente's imperialism. She was the last country to want WWI. Unfortunately, most of the accounts we have about Germany in the context of WWI are biased and this also relates to the specialized military literature as well.

If by that you mean the average German, Id agree with you that a major European war was the last thing on his or her mind in 1914. Unfortunately the views of the average German had nothing to do with the policies and plans of Germanys government and General Staff. The war guilt clause wasnt put into Versailles just out of spite, but thats a subject already covered in another thread.

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 22:47

My, arent we touchy; and leaping like a spring lamb to conclusions, as usual.

Not as 'touchy' as you, when I demonstrated the falseness of your claim of a 100 million German population of the Third Reich. Based on some of your comments, it seems that I have in fact drawn the correct conclusions regarding your attitude.

I agree; this was never my contention or had anything to do with your subsequent post that I challenged. Lets move on.

Before we 'move on', let's look back for a moment on what you did in fact contend:

Where is the evidence that, as you claimed, Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely circulated' by August 1915 or that Rohr had access to it and based any of his ideas on it?

DeadKennys, like Gudmundssons account, completely ignores British and French tactical innovations at Neuve Chapelle, (10th March 1915) Festubert-Artois (May-June 1915) and Loos (Sept-Oct 1915) where, for example, the 15th Scottish Div history states that following the Creeping Barrage, The scene resembled nothing so much as a cross country race with a full field. Men ran as if for a prize and continued to do so for some four miles into the heart of the German defences. [J. Buchan, The Long Road to Victory] and similarly, The French had already adopted the self-contained Platoon as a unit. Tiny groups, taking every advantage of cover, swarmed forward, intangible as will o the wisps, illusive as quicksilver. The German artillery was baffled and their defences overrun by these handfuls of men who were everywhere at once. In a few minutes they had disappeared over the skyline. The attack had been successful. (Eye witness account of a typical French attack on 1st July 1916 by Maj-Gen Sir Edward Spears cited in White Heat: The New Warfare 1914-18 by J. Terraine, describing Allied infiltration methods in use up to that point in the war.)

So now you're giving 'credit' for 'running' to the attack and 'taking cover' using local terrain to the British and French? I suppose you've scoured German divisional histories and determined that the Germans didn't 'run' or 'take cover' until after they had seen the British and French do it, have you? In any case this hardly establishes your claim that Laffargue's pamphlet was widely circulated along the Western front by August 1915 or that Rohr had access to it and based anything that he did on it.

Nonsense. A man carrying 30-60lb of armour, bulletproof shield and miscellaneous equipment tends not to move as rapidly as you seem to think or want to believe.

Nor were they as (relatively) slow as you seem to want to think or believe. The standard pack early in the war was at least 60 lbs, so an otherwise unburdened assault trooper with armour would have been no more encumbered.

The first Sturmabteilung unit was designed more as assault Pioneers to facilitate clearance of strongpoints and trenches during regular attacks. They were not trained in any form of infiltration tactics at this point in time, and you know it [or perhaps you dont?].

It was the starting point. Obviously they didn't start off with the full blown 'infiltration' tactics that would eventually be developed. However, it was clearly a manifestation of the intention to develop such. How many dedicated 'stormtrooper' units did the French and British form and when did they form them?

Allow me to quote from your source, (Page 46-47 of Gudmundsson)

On March 2, 1915, the War Ministry ordered the Eighth Army Corps to form an Assault Detachment (Sturmabteilung) from men provided by pioneer units. In the course of the month of March, this unit, consisting of a headquarters, two pioneer companies, and an overgrown battery of 20 of the lightweight Krupp guns, was assembled at the artillery range at Wahn. The officer chosen to command this unit, Major Calsow, was a pioneer.

The Assault Detachment spent the months of April and May, 1915, developing techniques for using the Krupp guns, which were soon christened "assault cannon" (Sturmkannone), in combat. The men of the cannon battery were trained in the care, manipulation, and firing of the cannon themselves, while the men of the pioneer companies developed techniques for ensuring that the cannon got across "no man's land" and the first enemy trench in condition to take part in the fight. Besides brushing up on the traditional pioneer skill of clearing barbed wire and other obstacles, they practiced using portable steel shields to protect those clearing obstacles from enemy fire.

This training, however, was never put to use. The first combat mission of the Assault Detachment was the defence of a section of the German trench line in France. The pioneers were used as line infantry while the assault cannon were used like the very weapons that they had been procured to combat -- as light field pieces positioned to the rear of the German front line trench. The cost of this improper employment was high. In the month of June the two pioneer companies had taken so many casualties from French artillery bombardments that they had to be consolidated into one under strength company.

The assault cannon proved to be unsuited to employment near the front line. Each time one fired, its pronounced muzzle flash made it easy for the French to determine its exact position. Once located, the assault cannon became the favorite targets of the French artillery.

Needless to say, such a weapon soon became quite unpopular with the troops that had to serve in its vicinity.

In August of 1915 Major Calsow was relieved of the command of the Assault Detachment despite his protest that the poor showing of his unit had been due to the fact that it had not been employed in accordance with the instructions of the War Ministry. In the eyes of Colonel Bauer, Major Calsow's main failing was that he did not see the true potential of the Assault Detachment. Calsow did not share Colonel Bauer's vision of the Assault Detachment as a laboratory where new techniques could be tried out and a school where they could be taught. Rather, he had been content to command a unit that provided other units with detachments of assault cannon and pioneers.

None of which contradicts what I've said.

And anyone who does will realise, amongst other things, that theres no n in Gudmundsson.

Really? Are you sure about that? No 'n' in G-u-d-m-u-n-d-s-s-o-n? Perhaps you should take a closer look.

A serious scholar like DeadKenny could also have mentioned the following works to get a Teutophile view of German tactical achievement in the Great War;

Of course you label any study of what Germany did as Teutophile, so in your simplistic view there is only ignorance or 'pro-German' bias. Meanwhile you're blind to your own 'anti-German' bias.

The Dynamics of Doctrine: The changes in German Tactical Doctrine during the First World War by T T Lupfer

Doctrine and Dogma: German and British Infantry Tactics in the First World War by M Samuels

If Germany attacks by G C Wynne

And of course, the classic:

The Storm of Steel by E Jűnger, and Die Deutsche Strurmbataillone im Weltkrieg by Helmuth Gruss

All excellent examples of accounts of how the Germans did things that generally ignore, or chose to overlook allied achievements.

Gudmundssons highly informative thesis is marred by the fact he generally omits the effects of parallel Allied tactical developments which were often [but not always] far ahead of the Germans themselves.

The Allies 'were often far ahead of the Germans'? Another totally unsubstantiated claim. Care to back that up with something?

Clearly DeadKenny has reached the pinnacle of enlightenment and I sit in awe at his pronouncements.

Once again, just more immature silliness from you. All it does is detract further from your credibility, to the extent that your consistent inability to connect together your claims with proper cites supporting them leaves you with any to detract from. Remember this?

Does anything you've posted here support this claim?

The rest of us mere seekers after the truth who labour in the fog of uncertainty and the mists of mythology will soon discover that Gudmundsson published his work in the late 80s, so would not have been aware of subsequent research in the 90s which finally determined that there was a fatal mix up due to a confusion between Laffargues Impressions and Reflexions and a competing pamphlet called LEtude sur lAttaque written by a Commandant Lachevre, C.O. of the 74th Infantry Regiment, and published by the French Army in November 1915 and translated for the British in June 1916, (according to the OH 1917 vol.2) and quoted erroneously by Gudmundsson in his book as the work of LaffargueOops.

Do you have any cites which support this claim? In fact it is more likely that it is you who are confusing Lachevre's Notes sur l'Attaque with Laffargue's L'Etude sur l'Attaque.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 23:23

Not as 'touchy' as you, when I demonstrated the falseness of your claim of a 100 million German population of the Third Reich. Based on some of your comments, it seems that I have in fact drawn the correct conclusions regarding your attitude.

We back to this? You never demonstrated  anything, and  if you read my post you'd remember it was never my claim, but Dupuy's, I just thought it was a reasonable one.

Before we 'move on', let's look back for a moment on what you did in fact contend:

Where is the evidence that, as you claimed, Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely circulated' by August 1915 or that Rohr had access to it and based any of his ideas on it?

I've already cited my sources, you've just missed them in your desperate myopic urge to maintain what's left of your credibility. How sad.

So now you're giving 'credit' for 'running' to the attack and 'taking cover' using local terrain to the British and French? I suppose you've scoured German divisional histories and determined that the Germans didn't 'run' or 'take cover' until after they had seen the British and French do it, have you? In any case this hardly establishes your claim that Laffargue's pamphlet was widely circulated along the Western front by August 1915 or that Rohr had access to it and based anything that he did on it.

I repeat, I've already cited my sources, you've just missed them in your desperate myopic urge to maintain what's left of your credibility. How sad.

Nonsense. A man carrying 30-60lb of armour, bulletproof shield and miscellaneous equipment tends not to move as rapidly as you seem to think or want to believe.

Nor were they as (relatively) slow as you seem to want to think or believe. The standard pack early in the war was at least 60 lbs, so an otherwise unburdened assault trooper with armour would have been no more encumbered.

Do you want to review this? this is possibly the most stupid post you've made so far. You are making  yourself a laughing stock, it's embarrassing. It's crystal clear you have never served in the military.

...How many dedicated 'stormtrooper' units did the French and British form and when did they form them?

Another stupid comment. To quote Field marshall Slim, "Armies do not win wars by means of a few bodies of super soldiers but by the average quality of their standard units...Any well trained infantry battalion should be able to do what Commandos [substitute "Stormtroopers" here and you get the point] can do."

Really? Are you sure about that? No 'n' in G-u-d-m-u-n-d-s-s-o-n? Perhaps you should take a closer look.

Ha. Ha. You originally spelt the name Gundmundsson. But I agree  that was a pointless jibe, given you've not read either your own or my posts carefully. 

Of course you label any study of what Germany did as Teutophile, so in your simplistic view there is only ignorance or 'pro-German' bias. Meanwhile you're blind to your own 'anti-German' bias.

Yeah, right, whatever. Is that all you got?

The Allies 'were often far ahead of the Germans'? Another totally unsubstantiated claim. Care to back that up with something?

If you knew anything about what your pontificating about, I might take you seriously. Judging by this and your Rommel defence, once again you prove your ignorance. I'm bored now.

Once again, just more immature silliness from you. All it does is detract further from your credibility, to the extent that your consistent inability to connect together your claims with proper cites supporting them leaves you with any to detract from. Remember this?

Does anything you've posted here support this claim?

The rest of us mere seekers after the truth who labour in the fog of uncertainty and the mists of mythology will soon discover that Gudmundsson published his work in the late 80s, so would not have been aware of subsequent research in the 90s which finally determined that there was a fatal mix up due to a confusion between Laffargues Impressions and Reflexions and a competing pamphlet called LEtude sur lAttaque written by a Commandant Lachevre, C.O. of the 74th Infantry Regiment, and published by the French Army in November 1915 and translated for the British in June 1916, (according to the OH 1917 vol.2) and quoted erroneously by Gudmundsson in his book as the work of LaffargueOops.

[QUOTE=deadkenny]
Do you have any cites which support this claim? In fact it is more likely that it is you who are confusing Lachevre's Notes sur l'Attaque with Laffargue's L'Etude sur l'Attaque.

Once again fishing for information you would already know had you bothered to do any real research on this subject.  Bleat on to your heart's content. I've done with you now.

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 23:24

...In any event one thing everyone agrees on is that Laffargues pamphlet [amongst others] was captured, translated and widely distributed throughout the German army. The debate revolves around the timing and its likely effect on Rohrs thinking....

It doesn't appear as though the timing was very 'debatable' in your view when you posted that. So have you come up with anything that supports your claim that Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely circulated' in the time frame you claimed it was? Do you have anything that supports the claim that Laffargue's pamphlet itself was 'widely distributed throughout the German army'?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2008 at 23:49

I've already cited my sources, you've just missed them in your desperate myopic urge to maintain what's left of your credibility. How sad.

You've cited no source at all that supports your claim that Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely circulated' by August 15. I seriously wonder if you know what a proper cite is.

Do you want to review this? this is possibly the most stupid post you've made so far. You are making  yourself a laughing stock, it's embarrassing. it's crystal clear you have never served in the military.

So now you substitute petty insults for rational arguments. I didn't realize that service in the military was a prerequisite for studying history. In any case, I have carried a 70 lb pack. I can't claim to have worn body armour.

Another stupid comment. To quote Field marshall Slim, "Armies do not win wars by means of a few bodies of super soldiers but by the average quality of their standard units...Any well trained infantry battalion should be able to do what Commandos [substitute "Stormtroopers" here and you get the point] can do."

Again, petty insults as substitute for rational arguments. So now you're claiming that the entire British and French armies were developing tactics along with the German dedicated 'stormtrooper' unit(s)?

Ha, ha. You spelt the name Gundmundsson. But I agree  that was a pointless jibe. 

Yes, but unfortunately for the tone of the 'debate', one which you were unable to refrain from posting in the first place.

Well, in the final analysis, 'all that I've got' is to point out that you don't seem to be able to make up your mind whether you want to participate in a serious debate on history or a childish internet flame war.

If you knew anything about what your pontificating about, I might take you seriously. Judging by this and your Rommel defence, once again you prove your ignorance. I'm bored now.

Ahh yes, the Rommel debate with your 'massive reinforcments' for Rommel, which turned out to be 50 tanks, vs. 500 for the British. Oh yes, don't forget the 'denuded defenses', which turned out to be rotating out one division and rotating in another.

Once again fishing for information, you would already know had you bothered to do any real research.  Bleat on to your heart's content. I've done with you now.

I'm not 'fishing' for anything. You've again made a claim and are unable to back it up with a proper cite. Given your credibility vs. that of Gudmundsson, I know which one I'm going with.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 06:25

You've cited no source at all that supports your claim that Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely circulated' by August 15. I seriously wonder if you know what a proper cite is.

Do you want to review this? this is possibly the most stupid post you've made so far. You are making  yourself a laughing stock, it's embarrassing. it's crystal clear you have never served in the military.

So now you substitute petty insults for rational arguments. I didn't realize that service in the military was a prerequisite for studying history. In any case, I have carried a 70 lb pack. I can't claim to have worn body armour.

Again, petty insults as substitute for rational arguments. So now you're claiming that the entire British and French armies were developing tactics along with the German dedicated 'stormtrooper' unit(s)?

Ha, ha. You spelt the name Gundmundsson. But I agree  that was a pointless jibe. 

Yes, but unfortunately for the tone of the 'debate', one which you were unable to refrain from posting in the first place.

Well, in the final analysis, 'all that I've got' is to point out that you don't seem to be able to make up your mind whether you want to participate in a serious debate on history or a childish internet flame war.

Ahh yes, the Rommel debate with your 'massive reinforcments' for Rommel, which turned out to be 50 tanks, vs. 500 for the British. Oh yes, don't forget the 'denuded defenses', which turned out to be rotating out one division and rotating in another.

Once again fishing for information, you would already know had you bothered to do any real research.  Bleat on to your heart's content. I've done with you now.

I'm not 'fishing' for anything. You've again made a claim and are unable to back it up with a proper cite. Given your credibility vs. that of Gudmundsson, I know which one I'm going with.

Nothing worth responding to here. Just the usual DeadKenny evasions, jibes, accusations and inaccuracies. Another vain attempt to deflect attention from the fact he knows next to nothing about his subject.

Date Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 11:51

Nothing worth responding to here. Just the usual DeadKenny evasions, jibes, accusations and inaccuracies. Another vain attempt to deflect attention from the fact he knows next to nothing about his subject.

In spite of your best attempts to to throw up a smoke screen to cover your 'retreat', the fact remains that you made a definitive statement that Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely distributed' by Aug. 1915, and you have failed to back up that claim.  You then tried to 'discredit' Gudmundsson with a claim that he confused Laffargue's and Lachevre's pamphlets.  Again, you've failed to back up your claim when I called you on it.  The fact is that it was you who was confused, not Gudmundsson.  Finally, rather address the entirely legit factual arguments that I raised, you switched to ad hominem attacks.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 19:31

The Storm of Steel by E Jűnger,

have you even read that? i just recently finished it and all the negative claims of it being nationalistic are completely out of thin air, it has next to zero nationalism. it is overswelling of militarism though, so i can see people confused militarism with nationalism. Jnger wrote about everytime he fought the enemy how he respected the british soldiers in particular for their fighting courage and spirit.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 22:53

The Storm of Steel by E Jűnger,

have you even read that? i just recently finished it and all the negative claims of it being nationalistic are completely out of thin air, it has next to zero nationalism. it is overswelling of militarism though, so i can see people confused militarism with nationalism. Jnger wrote about everytime he fought the enemy how he respected the british soldiers in particular for their fighting courage and spirit.

Yes I have, it's an excellent  book  for a first hand account of the war from the German point of view. I heartily recommend it.

Date Posted: 29-Mar-2008 at 16:39

... DeadKennys, like Gudmundssons account, completely ignores British and French tactical innovations at Neuve Chapelle, (10th March 1915)...

John Keegan, in his The First World War has the following to say about the British attack at Neuve-Chapelle in March 1915:

Originally posted by John Keegan in The First World War

] ...The defenders, belonging to two infantry regiments and a Jger battalion, about one-seventh in strength to their assailants, were overwhelmed. Their wire had been extensively cut, their front trench destroyed. When the British infantry assaulted at five past eight, they were not opposed and within twenty minutes a breach 1,600 yards wide had been opened in the German line. The makings of a victory, local but significant, had been won.

The British plan stipulated that, after the first objective 200 yards inside the German wire was taken, the infantry was to pause for fifteen minutes while the artillery shelled the ruins of Neuve-Chapelle village in front of them. The intention was to disable any remaining defenders waiting there. In fact there were none.

After this second bombardment the British followed fast, into open country beyond the bombardment zone and scenting triumph. Orders, however, now required that they should wait for a second time. The commander of the battalion in the centre, 2nd Rifle Brigade, managed to send back a message requesting permission to disregard the order and continue the advance. Surprizingly there were no telephone lines and this was the pre-radio age it was received; even more surprizingly an answer was returned from brigade headquarters speedily enough to affect the situation, wholly for the worse. Permission to move forward was refused.

All the while the local German commanders, junior but determined and well-trained officers, were hurrying reserves to the flanks by bicycle or on foot. By contrast, and here the functional contributions to failure was at work, the British junior officers were passing their observations of the local situation, as the plan required, back up the chain of command so that authority could be granted for any alteration of the all-defining plan they requested.

Contrary to Challenger2's attempt to paint the British attack at Neuve-Chapelle as somehow demonstrating the development of 'infiltration tactics', along the lines of what the Germans were doing with their specialized unit(s), John Keegan clearly paints the opposite picture. In fact the British attack at Neuve-Chapelle in 1915 was designed to 'tear' a large gap in the German lines with 'overwhelming' force, not 'infiltrate' past strongpoints on a narrow front. Furthermore, the British plan was 'rigid' and to be directed by higher command, and thus failed to demonstrate defining characteristics of 'infiltration tactics' such as flexibility and lower unit initiative.

Clearly DeadKenny has reached the pinnacle of enlightenment and I sit in awe at his pronouncements. The rest of us mere seekers after the truth who labour in the fog of uncertainty and the mists of mythology will soon discover that Gudmundsson published his work in the late 80s, so would not have been aware of subsequent research in the 90s which finally determined that there was a fatal mix up due to a confusion between Laffargues Impressions and Reflexions and a competing pamphlet called LEtude sur lAttaque written by a Commandant Lachevre, C.O. of the 74th Infantry Regiment, and published by the French Army in November 1915 and translated for the British in June 1916, (according to the OH 1917 vol.2) and quoted erroneously by Gudmundsson in his book as the work of LaffargueOops.

Here is the correct information regarding the respective pamphlets by Laffargue and Lachvre:

Lachvre (commandant), Notes sur l'Attaque. Impressions d'un Commandant de Bataillon, Imprimerie Nationale, 1916, 40 pages.

Laffargue (A.),
tude sur l'Attaque dans la Priode actuelle de la Guerre. Impressions et Rflexions d'un Commandant de Compagnie, Plon, Paris, 1916, 58 pages.

This clearly shows that both were published in 1916, and thus were not 'widely circulated' by August 1915 (in fact Lachvre only wrote his in Nov. 1915), contrary to Challenger2's claim. It further demonstrates that Gudmundsson had it right and it was / is only Challenger2 that has 'erroneously quoted' anything.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 12:38

Contrary to Challenger2's attempt to paint the British attack at Neuve-Chapelle as somehow demonstrating the development of 'infiltration tactics', along the lines of what the Germans were doing with their specialized unit(s), John Keegan clearly paints the opposite picture. In fact the British attack at Neuve-Chapelle in 1915 was designed to 'tear' a large gap in the German lines with 'overwhelming' force, not 'infiltrate' past strongpoints on a narrow front. Furthermore, the British plan was 'rigid' and to be directed by higher command, and thus failed to demonstrate defining characteristics of 'infiltration tactics' such as flexibility and lower unit initiative.

Its telling that of all the myriad of first hand accounts, regimental and divisional histories, and detailed academic studies of this battle available to chose from, Deadkenny chooses to base his argument on a general overview textbook, albeit one written by a well respected historian, that devotes no more than a page or two to the battle, and dwells more on the circumstances of why it ultimately failed than the actual tactics used.

Here is the correct information regarding the respective pamphlets by Laffargue and Lachvre:

Lachvre (commandant), Notes sur l'Attaque. Impressions d'un Commandant de Bataillon, Imprimerie Nationale, 1916, 40 pages.

Laffargue (A.),
tude sur l'Attaque dans la Priode actuelle de la Guerre. Impressions et Rflexions d'un Commandant de Compagnie, Plon, Paris, 1916, 58 pages.

This clearly shows that both were published in 1916, and thus were not 'widely circulated' by August 1915 (in fact Lachvre only wrote his in Nov. 1915), contrary to Challenger2's claim. It further demonstrates that Gudmundsson had it right and it was / is only Challenger2 that has 'erroneously quoted' anything.

Well what can I say? Im overwhelmed with admiration. DeadKenny has resolved a debate that has gone on between authors and academics arguably since the 1920s and is still going on todayHow? By looking up a bibliographical reference! Damn! If only all those academics and professional historians had thought of doing just that all these decades ago, it would have solved everything! Pure Genius!

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 12:40

In spite of your best attempts to to throw up a smoke screen to cover your 'retreat', the fact remains that you made a definitive statement that Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely distributed' by Aug. 1915, and you have failed to back up that claim.  You then tried to 'discredit' Gudmundsson with a claim that he confused Laffargue's and Lachevre's pamphlets.  Again, you've failed to back up your claim when I called you on it.  The fact is that it was you who was confused, not Gudmundsson.  Finally, rather address the entirely legit factual arguments that I raised, you switched to ad hominem attacks.

DeadKenny, I study the First World War as a hobby, an interest kindled over 20 years ago when I first visited Ieper [Ypres]. I learned early on to my surprise that even in a conflict a recent as this, records were incomplete and sometimes contradictory; that there was much to learn if I wanted to find out what had really gone on, beyond the then prevalent public myths and preconceptions. To that end, Ive so far accumulated a paltry library of around seventy books on various aspects of this conflict that interested me and from various viewpoints, including those of the French and the Germans. My membership of the Western Front Association has put me in touch with and allowed me to question experts on various subjects; academics, battlefield archaeologists, and the like. Whenever time allows, I like to visit the Templar Archive in the National Army Museum, the library at the Imperial War Museum and the Liddel-Hart Archive at Kings to study the available primary sources. I still have much to learn, and there are no conclusions Ive come to about anything that cannot bear review in light of any new information that comes my way.

If some of my comments are ad hominem, its purely out of a sense of frustration at meeting such a closed, blinkered mind that appears so unwilling or incapable of entertaining concepts that differ from its world view and persists in insinuating anyone that disagrees is a racist, liar or fantasist. It is clear to me that to you winning is more important than learning and I feel frustration that I have neither the time, nor if truth be told, the temperament to educate such a mind to accept other possibilities. So yes, if you want to massage your fragile ego by calling this a retreat thats fine with me, this experience has been akin to throwing snowballs at a brick wall; ultimately futile. I really cant be bothered any more. Congratulations, for what its worth.

The sun is shinning, God is in his Heaven, and all is rosy in DeadKennys world of absolute certainties.

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 16:59

Its telling that of all the myriad of first hand accounts, regimental and divisional histories, and detailed academic studies of this battle available to chose from, Deadkenny chooses to base his argument on a general overview textbook, albeit one written by a well respected historian, that devotes no more than a page or two to the battle, and dwells more on the circumstances of why it ultimately failed than the actual tactics used.

I chose the cite very deliberately, because it's all about 'characterization' of the battles. John Keegan has studied the original sources thoroughly, and he has drawn a conclusion diametrically opposed to your claims. The couple isolated quotes you provided, of British attackers 'running' or French attackers 'taking cover' in no way support your claims. Your last statement makes no sense in the context, since the ultimate failure of the attacks had everything to do with the tactics used by the British, which is exactly the point Keegan was making. In summary of the British and French attacks in 1915, Keegan states the following:

Originally posted by John Keegan in The First World War

It had been a doleful year for the Allies on the Western Front, much blood spilt for little gain and any prospect of success postponed until 1916.  The Germans had shown that they had learnt much about the methods of defending an entrenched front, the Allies that they had learnt nothing about means of breaking through.

You've not made any sort of case whatsoever, beyond unsubstantiated statements and claims, that the Allies were 'ahead' of the Germans or that they were developing anything remotely resembling 'infiltration tactics' during 1915. Again, in terms of the characterization of what was happening in 1915 on the Western Front, Keegan has a great deal of credibility and you do not.

Well what can I say? Im overwhelmed with admiration. DeadKenny has resolved a debate that has gone on between authors and academics arguably since the 1920s and is still going on todayHow? By looking up a bibliographical reference! Damn! If only all those academics and professional historians had thought of doing just that all these decades ago, it would have solved everything! Pure Genius!

Once again, in place of a rational argument based on facts, supported by proper cites you fall back on sarcasm. At least I have looked up and posted some supporting evidence, which is more than you have done. You initially made a definitive statement to the effect that Laffargue's pamphlet was published and widely circulated in 1915. Then you claimed that 'recent scholarship' from the 1990's brought into question Gudmundsson's earlier research and conclusions. Now you claim that there has been 'debate' on the subject since the 1920's to the present day. Yet you have consistently failed to provide a single shred of evidence to support any of this, beyond your own 'word'. There is plenty of evidence backing up the authorship and publication dates of the pamphlets / articles in question. You have provided exactly zero evidence to the contrary. So, if you want to keep discussing this issue, then back up your original claim that Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely circulated' on the Western Front by August 1915. A very specific factual claim that must have some supporting evidence, if it is true.

DeadKenny, I study the First World War as a hobby, an interest kindled over 20 years ago ....

To be honest, some of your posts have been so immature that I have difficulty even believing that you're over 20 years old, never mind been studying the war for that long. Irrespective of your amateur efforts, when you make claims and characterizations that directly contradict those of established respected historians such as John Keegan, then the onus is on you to provide cites to back up your claims. Yet you have consistently failed to do so, and have resorted to ad hominem attacks when I have persistently asked that you do so.

If some of my comments are ad hominem, its purely out of a sense of frustration at meeting such a closed, blinkered mind that appears so unwilling or incapable of entertaining concepts that differ from its world view and persists in insinuating anyone that disagrees is a racist, liar or fantasist. It is clear to me that to you winning is more important than learning and I feel frustration that I have neither the time, nor if truth be told, the temperament to educate such a mind to accept other possibilities. So yes, if you want to massage your fragile ego by calling this a retreat thats fine with me, this experience has been akin to throwing snowballs at a brick wall; ultimately futile. I really cant be bothered any more. Congratulations, for what its worth.

First, I didn't see anything in the 'terms of use' for this site that said 'ad hominem' attacks are OK if you're 'frustrated'. Second, the actual source of your frustration appears to be that I won't simply 'take your word for it' in terms of the claims you make. You definitively stated that Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely circulated' by August 1915. Since everything that I've seen indicates that it wasn't published until 1916, that appears to me to be a false statement. Yet, when I asked you to provide a cite to support that claim, you ultimately responded with 'ad hominem' attacks on me. A quick review of this thread will show that it was in fact you that make the first insinuations, and I simply responded that you appeared to be no better. As for the rest of what you've posted, it just confirms that you appear more interested in trying to portray me in a negative light than you are in addressing the actual facts in question. Again, just in case you missed it, you clearly and definitively stated that Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely circulated' on the Western Front by August 1915. That is a fact in dispute and I have asked again and again for a cite that supports that claim. As complicated as you want to make this, it is in fact really very simple. All you had to do, from the start, was to either provide a cite supporting this claim, or retract it.

The sun is shinning, God is in his Heaven, and all is rosy in DeadKennys world of absolute certainties. 

Once again, you stray from the facts and 'target' me. Yet you started off with definitive claims, at least as 'absolutely certain' as you claim I am. You very definitively stated that Laffargue's pamphlet was 'widely circulated' by August 1915. When you originally made that statement, there was no 'doubt', you didn't say that it was 'debated' in academia.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com