Forum Discription: all things relating to the written word
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1855
Printed Date: 29-Apr-2024 at 03:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best writer of historical fiction
Posted By: Komnenos
Subject: Best writer of historical fiction
Date Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 05:47

Over at the medieval forum is a discussion raging about Dan Brown and his omnipresent “Da Vinci Code”. My opinions on Dan Brown sorry efforts are excellently expressed by Vagabond’s contribution. I haven’t actually read “Da Vinci Code” ( am I alone in the universe ?), but I’ve tried “Illuminati” and found it so badly written and researched, that I had to give up after 50 pages and swore never to try another again.

Anyway, who do you think is the best writer of historical fiction?

My personal favourite is Umberto Eco, whose books (especially Foucault’s Pendulum and Baudolino) are everything that  Dan Brown’s aren’t: Thoroughly researched, highly readable and  genuine works of literature as opposed to Dan Brown’s pulp fiction.

Any other suggestions? Answers on a postcard, please!

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Replies:
Posted By: Dawn
Date Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 15:41
No you are not alone in not reading Da Vinci code. I have not bothered with it ( will some day if comes into my store but I'm not going to buy it new) A similar statement by vagabond earlier chased me away from it. As to great writers I like many but Eco is not one (i must be the only one around here that doesn't) Some of my favorites are Graves, Miles, McCullough, Pauline Gedge, Rutherford and my favorite(mostly  historical but sort of fantasty) Jack Whyte.  

-------------

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 18:48
I have tried DaVinci code and found it poor. I think the best of all times are Graves, Dumas, Scott, Sienkiewicz (polish writer who was writing about 17th century polish wars). But also great is McCullough and Patrick O'Brien.

Posted By: Cornellia
Date Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 19:25

I too read DaVinci Code and would not recommend it to anyone.  Its just not very well written.  A friend of mine gave me a copy of the book which is the only reason I read it.

I enjoy Eco, Dumas, Graves, McCollough among many others.

-------------
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 01:37
Somehow I forgot to mention Marguerite Yourcenar, whose Memoirs of Hadrian is the finest book on Roman history, I've come across.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 04:49

I kinda enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, mostly due to its cinematographic writing, which made me read it in one day (I just couldn't stop). Sure, it's no masterpiece, but I would certainy recomend it as a nice light reading. If Ron Howard is on a good day, it might turn out a good blockbuster.

Of course it's still a bad copy of Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum", that one being a truly astonishing book, although not quite an Historical Fiction.

As for my favorites, I'd have to choose Eco, Joăo Aguiar, Alexandre Herculano, Count Alexis Tolstoi and Walter Scott. Also, I enjoyed Valerio Massimo Manfredi's Alexander The Great triology.

I'm also looking forward to reading Bernard Cornwell's triology on the 100 Years War. Anyone tried that one yet?

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 14:03
Never read the 100 years war ones but read his king Arthur ones liked Jack Whyte's better.

-------------

Posted By: Vamun Tianshu
Date Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 20:02

Luo Guanzhong on his works with Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Outlaws of the Marsh.I find his works very compelling and a very interesting read if you're into war,diplomacy,and relationships between enemies.

Also,Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa.It has bits of fiction,but is mostly historical in every way,and so is his book Musashi.Taiko has to do with the warring states of Medieval Japan in the 16 century.

The Black Flower by Howard Bahr.

-------------

In Honor

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 12:09
I wonder if I'm the only one who has enjoyed a Lieutenant Sharpe book?

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 10:51

I'm a huge fan of the Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa series. Its portrait of Ancient Rome everyday life and intrigue, giving life to both historical and common characters alike, is fascinating.

And one's got to love Gordianus, the Finder

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 09:48
yes I like those as well for a quick light read.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 13:25
Currently I'm just getting along with Kara Kitap (The Black Book) from Orhan Pamuk.  

-------------

Posted By: Cornellia
Date Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 14:23

I have met Stephen Saylor - a very nice man and have several of his books autographed and spent last Halloween night on Bourbon Street - in Roman costume with Mr. Saylor and friends. 

Sorry....its just about the only name dropping I can do.  LOL  Gordianus the Finder ROCKS

-------------
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 11:39
Gordianus rules, indeed! I must say I admire the man

-------------

Posted By: SulcataIxlude
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 02:53
I enjoy James A. Michiner and James Clavel quite a bit.

Posted By: Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 08:54

Call me "Old School", but I've always been a fan of Sir Walter Scott--Ivanhoe was awesome, and The Talisman was even better (despite Scott's penchant for portraying the Templars as sinister).

-------------
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 01:48
Eco i like, even though i found Baudalino (sp?) a little weak.

I wonder if I'm the only one who has enjoyed a Lieutenant Sharpe book?

I believe i have watched some TV episodes of a series based on them, if that makes you feel better.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 14:04
I was really enjoying Baudolino, but I have to say that the swift change in the plot's direction after they leave Armenia kinda spoils it. But its still a great ending though...

-------------

Posted By: druidebaron.nl
Date Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 16:23
Q by Luther Blissett. Luther Blissett is the name of a Jamaican soccer player who played for AC Milan in the early l980s. The real author are four Italians. This change of identity returns in the story it self.
Set during the Reformation, "a young theology student adopts the cause of heretics and the disinherited and finds himself pursued by a relentless papal informer and heretic-hunter. What begins as a personal struggle to reveal each others' identities becomes a mission that can only end in death." (amazon.com)
It's great, I really liked it. I believe the Italian text is public domain. (translations are probably copyrighted)

Date Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 18:58

Originally posted by Infidel

Gordianus rules, indeed! I must say I admire the man

Actually from "Gordianus" series i find only first book to be average. Every next book is worse than previous. Characters are not realistic and i think the whole story is not well written. For me Stephen Saylor is a second or even third sort writter who cannot be campared to - for example Colleen McCullough. Her roman books are much better.

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 30-May-2005 at 23:57

Posted By: druidebaron.nl
Date Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 04:07

I just finished Imprimatur by Rita Monaldi and Francesco Sorti. The story is set in Rome in 1683, during the siege of Vienna. After the mysterious death of a guest, a small group of people have to stay in quarantaine in a Roman inn. The writer of a journal and a secret agent from the court of Louis XIV try to find the murderer.

Imprimatur is Latin for "let it be printed." When a Roman Catholic bishop grants his imprimatur to a printed work, he assures the reader that nothing therein is contrary to Catholic faith or morals. Actually the book was  the victim of a boycott campaign orchestrated by the Vatican. The authors depicted an image of Pope Innocent XI as a selfish politician, betraying the Roman Catholic churchs interests in the hope of recovering a personal debt from William of Orange by financing his invasion of England (Glorious Revolution). The book is based on historical research by the authors and contains an appendix of forty pages with notes and sources.

-------------
How inextricably woven are the different strands of greed, ambition, cowardice and idealism” Alan Clark

Posted By: opuslola
Date Posted: 18-Nov-2009 at 14:12
I support Hugo's "The Humpback of Notre Dame", which really gives one a view into parts of the "Dark Ages!" As well as Dickens', "A Tale of Two Cities!"

-------------
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2010 at 20:07
Head and shoulders above anyone else writing "Historical Fiction" is Livy! OK, and Mommsen! Ok, Ok, and Caesar! Laugh!

Regards,

-------------

Posted By: Apologia
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2010 at 14:35
I loved I, Claudius. I also just saw the television version, and the actress what played Livia was amazing!

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2010 at 15:14
Yes, pure depravity is exciting! Laugh!

Regards,

-------------

Posted By: Azadi
Date Posted: 10-May-2010 at 03:57
One I come up with is Andrew Manco.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-May-2010 at 13:28
Originally posted by Apologia

I loved I, Claudius. I also just saw the television version, and the actress what played Livia was amazing!

Yeah, BBC TV series are great. Unlike in Hollywood in the UK they got actors that can play and learned their skills studying and playing for years in the theaters. Americans cant do good TV series or movies unless they borrow the actors from Europe :)

-------------
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted By: DreamWeaver
Date Posted: 10-May-2010 at 15:55
Alot of UK actors have a habit of ending up treading the baords doing Shakesperian acting. RSC demands alot of its actors.

-------------

Posted By: TheAlaniDragonRising
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2011 at 09:28
I like the style of writing from Conn Iggulden in both his Emporer and Conqueror series, and where deviations occur he tells you at the end. I recommend anyone tries them. 

-------------
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com