Forum Discription: World History from 1500 to the end of WW1
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1850
Printed Date: 29-Mar-2024 at 12:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Luther
Posted By: Dawn
Subject: Luther
Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 11:12
I watched the movie Luther . It is about the life of Martin Luther. Anyone else seen it?

Replies:
Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 05:06
Sorry, just noticed your post. Yes, I've seen Luther, found it not too bad, considering it was an hollywoodish
take on his life. Was it on general release in North-America?
Loved the late Peter Ustinov as Friederich der Weise!
I think Martin Luther's importance is rather underrated, in- and especially outside Germany. People only see him as founder of the Protestant religion, but I think he was more influential as a catalyst, finally freeing the development of thought from the shuckles of the Catholic Church, and therefore ,after him, allowing for far more radical ideas to appear. The fact alone, that, by translating the bible , he emancipated the German language and made it pssible for people who didn't understand Latin to access and discuss new ideas, make him one of the most influential figures in German history.
If the movie helps to awake an interest in his person, then it can't be that bad.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Posted By: Dawn
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 10:18
I can't say I ever saw it released in a movie theater or advertized on TV or anything but I found it in the video store a couple of weeks ago. Like you I found it a bit hollywood but worth watching. My kids even watched it through,finding some value in it. Although I am a non beliver when it comes to religion I (and my kids as well) where baptised Lutherian so a story about the founders life held some interest.  The movie did bring to to the forfront more of his importance as a catalyst and does give a starting place for more intrest.  

-------------

Posted By: Denis
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 17:38
Did it bring up his anti-semitism at all?

-------------
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo

Posted By: Notch
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 18:06
I own it.. have for a while...

Excellent flick...

The movie was about his early life and the beginning of the Reformation period.

Someone just out looking to stir the pot would look to bring up his anti-semitic statements... Luther was a man of God. He was not perfect, no man is, Christ is perfect only.

In light of the many positive and caring statements concerning the Jews made by Luther throughout his lifetime, it would not be fair on the basis of a few regrettable (and uncharacteristic) negative statements, to characterize the reformer as "a rabid anti-Semite."

Good movie...

-------------
"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 19:16
In 1517, all Christians would most likely have been anti-Semitic. As most Moslems would have considered Christians unbelievers and "Christian dogs."

"Diversity," and political correctness had little validity then.

Religious unorthodoxy was considered heresy and treason in those times.

Posted By: Denis
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 12:16
Originally posted by Notch

I own it.. have for a while...

Excellent flick...

The movie was about his early life and the beginning of the Reformation period.

Someone just out looking to stir the pot would look to bring up his anti-semitic statements... Luther was a man of God. He was not perfect, no man is, Christ is perfect only.

In light of the many positive and caring statements concerning the Jews made by Luther throughout his lifetime, it would not be fair on the basis of a few regrettable (and uncharacteristic) negative statements, to characterize the reformer as "a rabid anti-Semite."

Good movie...

Not picking a fight here mate, but you are wrong - http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/luther-jews.html - Luther's nasty little secret

Quite frankly, no matter how you interpret it using historical context and whatnot, there is no denying Luther was indeed a rabid anti-semite:

Originally posted by Martin Luther

Therefore we Christians, in turn, are obliged not to tolerate their wanton and conscious blasphemy.

-------------
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2008 at 15:49
Has anyone seen the BBC adaptation the reluctant revolutionary, it seemed to be to be quite accurate any thoughts?

also would people say the film is a good education tool, I am studying Luther at the moment and wondering if watching it would be useful revision

Posted By: Aster Thrax Eupator
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2008 at 17:22
Has anyone seen the BBC adaptation the reluctant revolutionary, it seemed to be to be quite accurate any thoughts? also would people say the film is a good education tool, I am studying Luther at the moment and wondering if watching it would be useful revision

It is factually a very good film, but I do think that cinematically it leaves a lot to be desired - the endless speeches of his when he is in the cart travelling around Germany - probably to debates such as those at Trent and the Marburg Coloqually - are repetative and obvious. I don't think it goes into enough detail about the later period of his life which I mentioned above when he drafed the Schmalkaldic declartion for the councils of Trent and when he debated with Zwingli. That said, the area we are studying doesn't require us to know that much about that period - it just seems to want us to know a fair bit about stuff up to the 1547 battle of Muhlburg.

-------------

Posted By: drgonzaga
Date Posted: 21-Apr-2008 at 14:38
Anyone who has taken time to read Luther's voluminous writings and correspondence can only conclude that he was not a "nice" man and in fact Freud might have called him a paranoid schizophrenic.Shocked I need only refer to his wrestling with the devil in the security of his own crapper!

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 18:33
could agree more with ur apraisal for luther character u can add to the list beliving in goblins and bigamy and throwing ink pots at walls, I feel sorry fo his wife LOL

I think it can be traced back to his early child hood an its strict nature and in later life a great many ailments (like Henry III) so there are mitigating circomstances

but ur still right Star

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com