Forum Discription: World History from 1500 to the end of WW1
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=177
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 05:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Polish Field Commanders - 17th century
Posted By: rider
Subject: Polish Field Commanders - 17th century
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 05:31
Which of these is the greatest field commander of Poland? That means that no naval commander counts.

Replies:
Posted By: boody4
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 13:53
Without a doubt for me, my vote goes to King Jan III Sobieski.

Posted By: Keltoi
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 14:11
Reasons why?

-------------
Cymru am Byth

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 14:20

Lubomirsky was great untill betrayed. For sure he showned his mastership as commander in war against Russia, defeating all Russian armies but next he signed bad peace treaty with Russia just to have free back when leaded his army against king John Casimir.

Also Stephen Czarniecki proved his extraordinary skills on the battlefield.

As for Sobieski for sure he was a master in fighting Turks. He made many campaigns and won 2 major battles, first at Chocim and next in Vienna.

All mentioned commanders were good in the field and its really hard to say which one was the best.

Actually we can say that Lubomirski was better than king John Casimir because he leaded succesfull rebelion against this king.

Posted By: TJK
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 14:27
I think in the second half of XVII centaury Sobieski have really no competitors. Podhajce, raid on the czambuls 1672 , Chocim, Vienna, Parkany.. 

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 15:03

Originally posted by TJK

I think in the second half of XVII centaury Sobieski have really no competitors. Podhajce, raid on the czambuls 1672 , Chocim, Vienna, Parkany.. 

Wasnt Lubomirski also very succesfull commander? His campaign against Russia was brillant. Can you say that if Lubomirski had such army like Sobieski at Chocim he wouldnt win as well?

What about Wisniowiecki and his fight against much larger Chmielnicki forces?

And Czarniecki also did great job in much harder situation and in much worse time.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 15:38
Lubomirski was very able commander indeed - battle of Cudnów is masterpiece of strategy, however his tactical and strategic  skill could not be compared (in my opinion) with Sobieski.  Lubomirski together with Czarniecki were in first place the cavalry commanders, the way they command the combined arms was a little obsolete. Thus they were defeated by Swedish forces during the "Deluge" period.. Sobieski has shown his great tactical skill as cavalry commander mainly during the raid of czambules when in other battles he prove to be able to use combined arms..
With Wiśniowiecki we have no data ..he have command (as general commander) only quite unnumerous corps..I think with his tactical skill he was equal to the Janusz Radziwiłł.

Great webiste about Jarema: 
  http://www.jarema.art.pl/ - http://www.jarema.art.pl/  

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 15:55

And what do you think about king John Casimir and his military skills?

As you know im not an expert on 17th century so i value your opinion on these matters. Altough im not an expert and cant compare my knowledge about this period with yours, i have read some articles about him. In general i have learned that he wasnt an enthusiast of polish-lithuanian army and prefered to rely on foreign mercenary troops, especially infantry. He was also well educated in military strategy and tactics. Was battle of Beresteczko his achievemnt or some other commander stayed behind it?

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 16:14

I think we should give credit to the Johanes Cassimirus for this battle..this was his idea of the "western type formation" used at Beresteczko ( advised by Zygmunt Przyjemski and Christoff Houvaldt). Generally I think he was able commander but not the great..Victory at Beresteczko should not blanke off the defeats at Zborowo, Żwaniec, Warsaw and finally Mątwy...

Posted By: boody4
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 19:05
Well, I'll be honest, I've only read two history books on Poland . I haven't been as lucky as native Poles who get to have their extremely interesting history lessons . I chose Sobieski because I haven't really heard of the reputations of the others as marshals and because of, I think, one of Poland's greatest victories: The Battle of Vienna.

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 03:16

Originally posted by TJK

With Wiśniowiecki we have no data ..he have command (as general commander) only quite unnumerous corps..I think with his tactical skill he was equal to the Janusz Radziwiłł.

Well, have you ever heard of Zbaraz- Wisniowiecki held there the Tartars and Cossacks back with maybe 10,000 men a force of 10  or 15 times greater, he made many fierce battles with Chmielnicki and won them. And then came the forces of Jan II Kazimierz and won of the enemy finally.

Polish forces retreated to the fortified camp of Zbaraz (10 July to 25 August 1649) where a relatively small force of some 9,000 Polish troops held back the entire might of Chmielniecki and the Khan for over six weeks.

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 12:33

have you ever heard of Zbaraz

I would say it's rather strange question..when I have two Wisniowiecki biografies on my bookshelf.

Zbaraz was a siege (an you have asked about field commander)..

he made many fierce battles with Chmielnicki and won them..

Inaccurate. Wisniowiecki have repulsed many Cossack's storms and was succesful during some sallys otside the fortification but it still far from winning many battle with Chmielnicki...

And then came the forces of Jan II Kazimierz and won of the enemy finally.

Absolutely untrue ! Chmielnicki have split the army and marched with main corps towards Jan Kazimierz, then he ambused polish forces near the Zborów. Only bribery of Crimean Khan by polish chancellor Jerzy Ossolińki have rescued polish army from destruction. 

BTW I think Wisniowiecki was really good - he have palyed great role during battle of Ochmatów as well as at Beresteczko (he have commnaded left polish wing). The defence of Zabaraż is also mainly his credit...however IMO he could not be compared with Sobieski, Chodkiewicz or Koniecpolski..

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 12:49

ah, almost the same...

sorry.

and field commanders, now i count wisniowiecki as one of them too...

and from few points all battles were sieges, for they built fortifications

Posted By: cavalry4ever
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 12:23

I would like to mention Hetman Zolkiewski in the Kluszyn battle against Russians.

His army of 6,800 was stuck between two Russian armies: one with 8,000 men and other with 35,000 men. Even Napoleon would have some misgivings about starting battle under these circumstances. Zolkiewski attacked the smaller force and forced them to seek refuge in a nearby fortified town and left some minimal forces to keep enemy inside fortifications, then turned his main force against bigger army of 35,000 and managed to defeat them, then came back to finish the smaller Russian and mercenary force. This was one of the battles involving Polish Hussars. Hussar losses were very minimal (about 100).

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 14:40
Afcourse you are right and we all know who Zolkiewski was and what battles he has won but here we were debating about polish field commanders of late XVII century.

-------------
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 16:09
Originally posted by Mosquito

Afcourse you are right and we all know who Zolkiewski was and what battles he has won but here we were debating about polish field commanders of late XVII century.

Sorry guys. I had several windows open and did not pay attention to the header.
I looked at names only and some of these commanders accomplishements span the century.

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 18:04

I looked at this list and have one comment: All great military leaders from this list will be dead by the end of century. Some of them were already the great leaders in the first half of century. Some of these leaders were better that any of their European counterparts. What is interesting is that this list doesn’t contain any leaders that  could lead Poland military into the next century. In any country, such end of century list  would contain also next century leaders as well. It would be interesting to open discussion on XVIII century Poland. It is very interesting to see the decline of a great empire.  Lubomirski is probably the sign of things to come. Another thing, you are dealing with history that is not well known for many of readers yet they may want to follow these discussions, could you provide more dates?

Posted By: Surenas
Date Posted: 26-Dec-2005 at 05:51
Hello all,
in your opinion which of these commanders was the best at handling cavalry?

Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 02:57
MAybe SObieski was most familiar with cavalry, although if you were a Polish general then you had to be good at handling cavalry.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 11:14
Rider is right. Most of them were much better commanders of cavalry than infantry.

-------------
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted By: ataman
Date Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 02:38

Originally posted by TJK

Lubomirski together with Czarniecki were in first place the cavalry commanders, the way they command the combined arms was a little obsolete. Thus they were defeated by Swedish forces during the "Deluge" period..

What failures do you mean? 

Posted By: Chrzanovia
Date Posted: 23-Jun-2006 at 15:27
What about Hetman Żółkiewski??? he abled to conquer Moscow... Even Napoleon and Hitler didn't abled to conquer Moscow... :)

-------------
My English is bad :(

Date Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 02:06
Originally posted by Chrzanovia

What about Hetman Żółkiewski??? he abled to conquer Moscow... Even Napoleon and Hitler didn't abled to conquer Moscow... :)

Chrzanovia,

Żółkiewski was a good commander, but he died (was killed) in 1620. This thread is about late 17th c. commanders, so Żółkiewski doesn't fit here.

pozdrawiam
ataman

Posted By: Chrzanovia
Date Posted: 24-Jun-2006 at 03:35
[QUOTE=ataman][QUOTE=Chrzanovia]What about Hetman Żółkiewski??? he abled to conquer Moscow... Even Napoleon and Hitler didn't abled to conquer Moscow... :) [/QUOTE=Chrzanovia]

Chrzanovia,

Żółkiewski was a good commander, but he died (was killed) in 1620. This thread is about late 17th c. commanders, so Żółkiewski doesn't fit here.

pozdrawiam
ataman
[/QUOTE=ataman]

OK. Thanks Smile

-------------
My English is bad :(

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 04:32
Originally posted by ataman

Originally posted by TJK

Lubomirski together with Czarniecki were in first place the cavalry commanders, the way they command the combined arms was a little obsolete. Thus they were defeated by Swedish forces during the "Deluge" period..

failures ? You mean probably defeats -  Gołąb, Kłecko and Kcynia 1656

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 13:19
Originally posted by TJK

Originally posted by TJK

failures ? You mean probably defeats -  Gołąb, Kłecko and Kcynia 1656

TJK, I agree that the Poles lost these battles, but I don't agree that they lost them because 'the way they command the combined arms was a little obsolete'. In fact Polish army in these battles consisted almost only cavalry. There were no Polish infantry and artillery in these battes. There were only cavalry and very few dragoons.

Date Posted: 27-Jun-2006 at 17:09
TJK, I agree that the Poles lost these battles, but I don't agree that they lost them because 'the way they command the combined arms was a little obsolete'. In fact Polish army in these battles consisted almost only cavalry. There were no Polish infantry and artillery in these battes. There were only cavalry and very few dragoons.

..and Swedes have field the hughe numbers of infantry and artillery in this battles ;) ? Only polish wins in open filed battles during Deluge were battles of Warka and Prostki where (in both cases)  Poles have outnumbered Swedes more then 2 times. During battles of Voynich Poles have slightly bigger army and the numbers of dragoons was equal, at  Warsaw Poles outnumbered Swedes more then 2 times and the number of infantry was nearly equal...

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 02:40
TJK, you said that 'Lubomirski together with Czarniecki were in first place the cavalry commanders, the way they command the combined arms was a little obsolete.'
Neither Lubomirski nor Czarniecki commanded in the battle of Wojnicz and Warszawa. Neither Lubomirski nor Czarniecki had combined arms at Gołąb, Klecko and Kcynia. Therefore I don't agree that these 5 battles prove that 'the way they command the combined arms was a little obsolete.' 

Originally posted by TJK

..and Swedes have field the hughe numbers of infantry and artillery in this battles ;) ?

Have I ever written about that? You're trying to discuss with something that I have never writtenConfused.

BTW. 

TJK, I'd like to explain that I agree with your opinion that Sobieski was the best Polish commander in the second half of 17th c. I've also voted for him.
I was only wonder what do you mean by the statement that the way Czarniecki and Lubomirski commanded combined arms was a little obsolete (and 'Thus they were defeated by Swedish forces during the "Deluge" period').

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 08:41
Wait, no need for a post war...

I ask now, what is the point of dragons in battles. They are supposed to be mounted infantry, correct? But do they dismount too? I have heard of dragon charges and that means they attack on mounts. So it is the way commander says or specific dragon units train for mounted and others for dismounted combat being still possible to do both...

And I know the correct spelling is Dragoons, dragons is so much... cooler for me..

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 10:24
Originally posted by rider

Wait, no need for a post war...

War? I have no intention to begin any war. If my posts are too sharp, I'd llike to apologise. I hope nobody is offended.

I ask now, what is the point of dragons in battles. They are supposed to be mounted infantry, correct? But do they dismount too? I have heard of dragon charges and that means they attack on mounts. So it is the way commander says or specific dragon units train for mounted and others for dismounted combat being still possible to do both...

And I know the correct spelling is Dragoons, dragons is so much... cooler for me..

Well, Polish dragoons (dragoni in Polish) were usually used as a infantry (I'm talking about 17th c.).

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 14:03
Hmm, in Deluge (the book) Sienkiewicz described them charging... I believe it was in the Deluge.. in one of Sienkiewicz's novels it was. Did he make a mistake?

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 15:49

Hmm, in Deluge (the book) Sienkiewicz described them charging... I believe it was in the Deluge.. in one of Sienkiewicz's novels it was. Did he make a mistake?

Sienkiewicz was a good writer and had a great knowledge about 17th c., but he didn't know everything. IMHO his vision of dragoons was an effect of an influence of 18th c., when dragoons were most of all a cavalry.
Opposite to 18th c., Polish dragoons in 17th c. were most of all an infantry. I know many examples that they fought dismounted but only 1 evidence that they fought mounted in 17th c.

Date Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 16:00
Neither Lubomirski nor Czarniecki commanded in the battle of Wojnicz and Warszawa. Neither Lubomirski nor Czarniecki had combined arms at Gołąb, Klecko and Kcynia. Therefore I don't agree that these 5 battles prove that 'the way they command the combined arms was a little obsolete.' 

During battle of Klecko polish army (commanded by Czarniecki and Lubomirski) inlude few dragons companies. What was the way of using this units ? Have they use dragons (as Swedes) to support cavalry charges ? Lack of fire support led to the failure of Czarniecki's cavalry charges on Douglas units (on right Swedish wing).
On the other hand examples of Gołąb, Wojnicz, Klecko and Filipowo shows how Swedish army could win having small amount of infantry (or even only dragons) by coordination with cavalry.  

Yes, in the end of XIX century polish XVII century warfare was not well known and what Sienkiewicz described as dragons was rather light banner.

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 01:19
Originally posted by TJK

During battle of Klecko polish army (commanded by Czarniecki and Lubomirski) inlude few dragons companies.

Yes, its true. I have already written about it.
But look at this - there were probably only 3 companies of dragoons, which might be about 300 dragoons. Polish cavalry at Kleck counted about 12 000. So Polish army at Kleck was composed of about 2.5% dragoons and 97,5% cavalry. It is difficult to say that it was combined army.

Originally posted by TJK

What was the way of using this units ? Have they use dragons (as Swedes) to support cavalry charges?

First of all - did the Swedes during 'the deluge' really use dragoons or infantry to support charging cavalry? AFAIK they used them only to support defending cavalry. Why? Because dismounted dragoons or an infantry isn't as fast as cavalry to can support a cavalry during a charge.
Second of all - this idea of a special detachments of musketeers which cooperated with cavalry isn't the best way of a cooperation between cavalry and dragoons / infantry. It could be easy copied by other armies, but AFAIK nodoby did it. And even the Swedes abandoned this kind of cooperation soon after GA (you can read more about advantages and disadventages of this tactic in Richard Brzezinski's Osprey about the Swedish army (nr 2 p.34).
So, IMHO the fact that in the battle of Kleck Polish dragoons didn't support charging Polish cavalry is rather natural. Czarniecki and Lubomirski planed to destroy Swedish army by suprise attacks of cavalry groups. In this case dismounted dragoons were too slow to can cooperate with Polish cavalry.
Why did the Poles lost this battle? IMHO because the synchornization between Polish cavalry groups failed.

Originally posted by TJK

Lack of fire support led to the failure of Czarniecki's cavalry charges on Douglas units (on right Swedish wing).

In the opinion of a hussar who participated in the fighting in this place, it wasn't a lack of fire support but it was a ditch which prevented Polish hussars to destroy Swedish musketeers.

Originally posted by TJK

On the other hand examples of Gołąb, Wojnicz, Klecko and Filipowo shows how Swedish army could win having small amount of infantry (or even only dragons) by coordination with cavalry.  

IMO these are not good examples. Look for example at the battle of Gołąb. Although Swedish dragoons cooperated with own cavalry, the charge of Polish hussars defeated both of them - dragoons and cavalry.
The Poles finally withdrew, but not because the Swedes used dragoons or infantry.

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 08:42
Yes, its true. I have already written about it.
But look at this - there were probably only 3 companies of dragoons, which might be about 300 dragoons. Polish cavalry at Kleck counted about 12 000. So Polish army at Kleck was composed of about 2.5% dragoons and 97,5% cavalry. It is difficult to say that it was combined army.

There is no source which could confirm your claim about 3 dragon companies, Nowak and Wimmer write about few dragon companies and int could be 3 as well as 7. Coordination between cavalry and infantry (dragons) could be achieved independently of proportion between cavalry and infantry. additionally in operation against Doulgas wing took part not whole 12 000 cavalry but only two regiments (Royal and Wiktowski's). 

First of all - did the Swedes during 'the deluge' really use dragoons or infantry to support charging cavalry? AFAIK they used them only to support defending cavalry.Why? Because dismounted dragoons or an infantry isn't as fast as cavalry to can support a cavalry during a charge.
It always the same model - cavalry charged, if unseccesfully - retreated  and giving the field for supporting fire of infantry (dragons) 

Second of all - this idea of a special detachments of musketeers which cooperated with cavalry isn't the best way of a cooperation between cavalry and dragoons / infantry. It could be easy copied by other armies, but AFAIK nodoby did it. And even the Swedes abandoned this kind of cooperation soon after GA (you can read more about advantages and disadventages of this tactic in Richard Brzezinski's Osprey about the Swedish army (nr 2 p.34).
I'm not talking about detachments of special muskeeter units - this were avoided in Swedish Army in the end of 30-year war. The role of this unts during Deluge were taken by dragons or smaller infantry brigades. Look articles of Lars Tresmeden in "Studia i Materiały do Historii Wojskowości" volume XIX -2 and XXI.

So, IMHO the fact that in the battle of Kleck Polish dragoons didn't support charging Polish cavalry is rather natural. Czarniecki and Lubomirski planed to destroy Swedish army by suprise attacks of cavalry groups. In this case dismounted dragoons were too slow to can cooperate with Polish cavalry.
Why did the Poles lost this battle? IMHO because the synchornization between Polish cavalry groups failed.
I'm not talking about participation of dragons in "amboush group". I'm talking about attack of 2 regiments under Czarniecki on right swedish wing (Douglas).  As for the reasons of polish defeat it could be listed many items: lack of coordination, lack of infantry and artillery, lack of discipline of ambush group, lack of support of Lubomirski etc..... Point I have raised is why this small amount of dragons were not used against units of Wittenberg and Berens. 

In the opinion of a hussar who participated in the fighting in this place, it wasn't a lack of fire support but it was a ditch which prevented Polish hussars to destroy Swedish musketeers.

Yep, this is opinion of Kochowski, Czarniecki have another opinion, Jemiołowski have another and modern warfare historians have antother one....

IMO these are not good examples. Look for example at the battle of Gołąb. Although Swedish dragoons cooperated with own cavalry, the charge of Polish hussars defeated both of them - dragoons and cavalry.
The Poles finally withdrew, but not because the Swedes used dragoons or infantry.

Aha..what about Wojnicz ?

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 10:15
Actually in  modern English few means 2 to 3.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 10:33

Actually in  modern English few means 2 to 3.

Polish word "kilka" (and this was used by polish historians) could means 3 as well as 7. The whole regiment of Czarniecki dragons have more than 500 soldiers and in Wielkopolska were also present in that time  some dragon units of Jacob Weyher. We simply don't know the exact copmosition of Czarniecki and Lubomirski group.

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 13:54
Originally posted by TJK

There is no source which could confirm your claim about 3 dragon companies,

Do you mean primary or secondary source? If you think about primary source, I agree. Historians even aren't certain that there were dragoons in the Polish army in this battle (therefore I wonder why you claim that the battle of Kleck is an example that 'the way they [Czarniecki and Lubomirski] command the combined arms was a little obsolete'). All what we have is a speculation.
And now, if you claim that there is no secondary source, you are not right. The author of the newest elaboration of this battle (published in 2003) claims that there were probably 3 comapanies of Polish dragoons in this battle (Paweł Skoroda 'Warka-Gniezno 1656' p. 221. )

Originally posted by TJK

Nowak and Wimmer write about few dragon companies and int could be 3 as well as 7.

First of all. As I have already written historians even aren't certain that there were dragoons in the Polish army at Kleck.
Second of all - Nowak and Wimmer have written their elaborations years ago. I use the newest elaboration of this battle.
Third of all - they write about 'kilka' comapanies which fits to Skoroda's statement that there were probably 3 companies.

Originally posted by TJK

Coordination between cavalry and infantry (dragons) could be achieved independently of proportion between cavalry and infantry. additionally in operation against Doulgas wing took part not whole 12 000 cavalry but only two regiments (Royal and Wiktowski's). 

I agree with your first sentence. Coordination between cavalry and infantry (or dragoons) could be achieved independently of proportion between cavalry and infantry.
But:
1. We don't know if there were Polish dragoons in the Polish army at Kleck.
2. If they were in the Polish army at Kleck, we don't know to which pulk they belonged. If they didn't belong to the Royal or Witkowski's pulk, they could cooperate with other Polish cavalry and therefore they didn't support Royal and Witkowski's pulks
3. We don't know if they didn't support Royal and Witkowski's pulk. You claim that they didn't, but I'll give you another posibility.
If Polish dragoons participated in the battle. If they belonged to Royal or Witkowski's pulk. And if they cooperated with the cavalry of these pulks BUT any known source didn't write about this detail of the battle, you might think that they did nothing, while (in reality) they supported Polish cavalry.

Go back to begining of this discussion. You claimed that this battle is the example that 'the way they [Czarniecki and Lubomirski] command the combined arms was a little obsolete'. If so, you have to prove that:
1. there were Polish dragoons in that battle
2. they could support Royal or Witkowski's pulk
3. they didn't do it

Originally posted by TJK

It always the same model - cavalry charged, if unseccesfully - retreated  and giving the field for supporting fire of infantry (dragons) 

And this is the newest model of cooperation between dragoons / infantry and cavalry  in the time of Luomirski and Czarniecki? And do you think that they didn't know and didn't use this kind of cooperation?

Originally posted by TJK

I'm not talking about detachments of special muskeeter units

Ok, I got you wrong.

Originally posted by TJK

Yep, this is opinion of Kochowski, Czarniecki have another opinion, Jemiołowski have another.

It's not true.

Originally posted by TJK

and modern warfare historians have antother one....

Modern historians...?
So, what do they claim? And why do you think that they are more reliable source than the member of this fighting?

Originally posted by TJK

To remind - you've stated:

'On the other hand examples of Gołąb, Wojnicz, Klecko and Filipowo shows how Swedish army could win having small amount of infantry (or even only dragons) by coordination with cavalry.'

And what about Wojnicz? Do you know what was disproportion of forces between Wiśniowiecki's hussars and these Swedish dragoons and infantry and cavalry which attacked them? Even withouth dragoons and infantry these Swedes should defeat hussars.
And I have to remind again - neither Lubomirski nor Czarniecki commanded in this battle.

Date Posted: 29-Jun-2006 at 18:23

Do you mean primary or secondary source? If you think about primary source, I agree. Historians even aren't certain that there were dragoons in the Polish army in this battle (therefore I wonder why you claim that the battle of Kleck is an example that 'the way they [Czarniecki and Lubomirski] command the combined arms was a little obsolete'). All what we have is a speculation.

And now, if you claim that there is no secondary source, you are not right. The author of the newest elaboration of this battle (published in 2003) claims that there were probably 3 comapanies of Polish dragoons in this battle (Paweł Skoroda 'Warka-Gniezno 1656' p. 221. )

Skworoda’s book is not the source nor scientific elaboration. This is just popular book which however base on scientic works (as Wimmer’s “Polish-Swedish war, aricles of Tresmeden and works of Nagielski). Composition of polish army at Kłecko given in the Appendix is however just vision of author without any scientific base. He probably correctly assume

the presence of Lubomirski 2 dragon freicompanies and newly founded unit of Zamoyski but he not consider the units ofJjacob Weyher which have operate in this period in Wielkopolska.  

First of all. As I have already written historians even aren't certain that there were dragoons in the Polish army at Kleck.

Which historians doubt about this ?

Second of all - Nowak and Wimmer have written their elaborations years ago. I use the newest elaboration of this battle.

Skworda book could not be even compared to the foundamental work about Deluge of Jan Wimmer redaction.

Third of all - they write about 'kilka' comapanies which fits to Skoroda's statement that there were probably 3 companies.

..and which fit also to my statement 3 to 7 companies….

I agree with your first sentence. Coordination between cavalry and infantry (or dragoons) could be achieved independently of proportion between cavalry and infantry.

But:

1. We don't know if there were Polish dragoons in the Polish army at Kleck.

2. If they were in the Polish army at Kleck, we don't know to which pulk they belonged. If they didn't belong to the Royal or Witkowski's pulk, they could cooperate with other Polish cavalry and therefore they didn't support Royal and Witkowski's pulks

3. We don't know if they didn't support Royal and Witkowski's pulk. You claim that they didn't, but I'll give you another posibility.

If Polish dragoons participated in the battle. If they belonged to Royal or Witkowski's pulk. And if they cooperated with the cavalry of these pulks BUT any known source didn't write about this detail of the battle, you might think that they did nothing, while (in reality) they supported Polish cavalry.

1.       Again which historian claim there werent ?

2.       This not the main factor – polish regiments have not fixed copmositon and the units were often detached to antother regiment depending from the task. You have such example at Warka.

3.       This is absolutely improbable – the phase of Czarniecki attack is described most detaily by at least 3 memories of polish soldiers (Kochowski, Łoś, Jemiołowski) and by 2 swedish soldiers (Dahlberg and Pufendorf), no one even mentioned about polish dragons

Go back to begining of this discussion. You claimed that this battle is the example that 'the way they [Czarniecki and Lubomirski] command the combined arms was a little obsolete'. If so, you have to prove that:

3. they didn't do it

Go back to the root of this discussion. I claim the Czarniecki and Lubomirski were mostly cavalry commanders and the way they command combined arms was a little obsolete. You deny this. You have to prove:

1.       They command combined arms in the battle

2.       They coordinte the different arms in the way used by western commanders

And this is the newest model of cooperation between dragoons / infantry and cavalry  in the time of Luomirski and Czarniecki? And do you think that they didn't know and didn't use this kind of cooperation?

Czarniecki used dragons during Warka battle. This was however one single volley, nothing more. Never used mixed formation of cavalry and infantry/dragons.

Originally posted by TJK

Yep, this is opinion of Kochowski, Czarniecki have another opinion, Jemiołowski have another.

It's not true.

What is not true ??? Read carefully your “newest elaboration” (pages 178-179)….

Modern historians...?

So, what do they claim? And why do you think that they are more reliable source than the member of this fighting?

I see, they are just unreliable..so Poles have been defeated because of trench….

Originally posted by TJK

To remind - you've stated:

'On the other hand examples of Gołąb, Wojnicz, Klecko and Filipowo shows how Swedish army could win having small amount of infantry (or even only dragons) by coordination with cavalry.'

And I confirm this once again.

And what about Wojnicz? Do you know what was disproportion of forces between Wiśniowiecki's hussars and these Swedish dragoons and infantry and cavalry which attacked them? Even withouth dragoons and infantry these Swedes should defeat hussars.

Please tell me, as I base on such unreliable polish scholars like Wimmer nad Nowak I could be misinformed.

And I have to remind again - neither Lubomirski nor Czarniecki commanded in this battle.

Hmm..maybe I haven’t noticed - somene here claim they have comanded ?

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 00:13
Originally posted by TJK

Skworoda’s book is not the source nor scientific elaboration.

Oh really? I see that if some historian writes something against your opinion, he is not credible.

Originally posted by TJK

He probably correctly assume the presence of Lubomirski 2 dragon freicompanies and newly founded unit of Zamoyski but he not consider the units ofJjacob Weyher which have operate in this period in Wielkopolska.  

Ok, so give me a primary source which confirms the presence of Jacob Weyher dragoons in the battle.

Originally posted by TJK

Which historians doubt about this ?

Every historian. If you don't believe, give me a primary source which confirms the participation of Polish dragoons in the battle.

Originally posted by TJK

Skworda book could not be even compared to the foundamental work about Deluge of Jan Wimmer redaction.

Skowroda knows Wimmer's works and if he writes something different than elder elaboration, he should have a good reason.

Originally posted by TJK

..and which fit also to my statement 3 to 7 companies….

Remember, that it was my reply to your statement that there is no source which confirms that there were probably 3 companies of Polish dragoons in the battle. I have pointed out this source (Skworoda's book).
And why only 3 not 7? Because I believe the historian, who has written the book about this battle, not you.

Originally posted by TJK

This not the main factor – polish regiments have not fixed copmositon and the units were often detached to antother regiment depending from the task. You have such example at Warka.

Do you know what does a distance mean? Do you know what was a distance between Royal or Witkowski pulks and for example Balaban's pulk? Do you know how long time Royal pulk and Douglas soldiers fought? I'm sure you don't know, because nodoby knows this. But you can see that it was important to which pulk dragoons belonged. It is important if they cooperated with other pulk, because they could support other pulk (and therefore didn't support Royal pulk) or they could be too far from Royal/Witkowski pulks to be in time to help Royal/Witkowski pulks.

Originally posted by TJK

This is absolutely improbable – the phase of Czarniecki attack is described most detaily by at least 3 memories of polish soldiers (Kochowski, Łoś, Jemiołowski) and by 2 swedish soldiers (Dahlberg and Pufendorf), no one even mentioned about polish dragons

Absolutly improbable? Well, it is just your opinion. If this phase of the battle is described so well, why only 1 source writes about the ditch? It was written only by a hussar who participated in charges on Swedes. The Swedes didn't write about the ditch. Other Poles (who didn't participate in this fighting) also didn't write about it. So, if authors weren't Polish dragoons, why you are so absolutly certain that these sources should write about them?

Even if this phase of fighting is described most detailed, it doesn't mean that we know all details of this fighting. In fact these descriptions are very short and far from perfection.

Originally posted by TJK

Go back to the root of this discussion. I claim the Czarniecki and Lubomirski were mostly cavalry commanders and the way they command combined arms was a little obsolete. You deny this. You have to prove:

1.       They command combined arms in the battle

2.       They coordinte the different arms in the way used by western commanders

It was funny :).
I've shown you mistakes in your argumentation and I've asked you about an explanation. And what is your reply? You want proofs from me of something which I have never written.
I have to ask again. You claimed that this battle is the example that 'the way they [Czarniecki and Lubomirski] command the combined arms was a little obsolete'. If so, you have to prove that:

3. they didn't do it

Originally posted by TJK

Czarniecki used dragons during Warka battle. This was however one single volley, nothing more. Never used mixed formation of cavalry and infantry/dragons.

Your reply answers only one my question. Can you answer also this question

'and this was the newest model of cooperation between dragoons / infantry and cavalry  in the time of Lubomirski and Czarniecki?'

Originally posted by TJK

What is not true???

What is not true?
We were talking about reasons of the failure of Polish cavalry which attacked Swedish dragoons. It is not true that Czarniecki's or Jamiołowski's  opinion about this failure is other than Kochowski's one.

Originally posted by TJK

Read carefully your “newest elaboration” (pages 178-179)…. .

I know this elaboration very well. And I know these primary sources. Therefore I can write again - your statement ('Czarniecki have another opinion, Jemiołowski have another') is false.

Originally posted by TJK

I see, they are just unreliable...

If they (modern historians) are against opinion of the hussar who fought in this place, yes they are not reliable. Kochowski knew the best why his unit couldn't reach swedish dragoons.

Originally posted by TJK

so Poles have been defeated because of trench…

And this is next your statement which I can't agree. The Poles weren't defeated by the trench. The Poles were stopped by the trench. It might be called a failure (niepowodzenie).

Originally posted by TJK

Please tell me, as I base on such unreliable polish scholars like Wimmer nad Nowak I could be misinformed.

It's great that you use Wimmer and Nowak works. My opinion is based on Nowak's 'Działania gen. Douglasa i bitwa pod Wojniczem (28 IX - 5 X 1655)' p.231-236 (in 'Wojna polsko-szwedzka 1655-1660').

Originally posted by TJK

Hmm..maybe I haven’t noticed - somene here claim they have comanded

I have reminded it, because we talk about Lubomirski and Czarniecki skill of command. They didn't command in the battle of Wojnicz and AFAIK nobody claims that Lanckoroński was as good commander as Lubomirski or Czarniecki. If you claim that 'Gołąb, Wojnicz, Klecko and Filipowo shows how Swedish army could win having small amount of infantry (or even only dragons) by coordination with cavalry.' you should remember that the outcome of the battle depends on many factors - including skill of command of commanders.

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 08:05

Oh really? I see that if some historian writes something against your opinion, he is not credible.

Well,  this is just obvoius that books from the “Historical battles” series are just popular works and with few exeptions (works of Nadolski, Nagielski, Wagner,  Długołęcki Plewczyński and some few more) authors base not on their own examintaion of primary and secondary sources but on the other elaborations. I like Skworoda books but as well "Warka-Gniezno" as "Hammerstein" could not be desribed as newest  scientific elaboration.

Ok, so give me a primary source which confirms the presence of Jacob Weyher dragoons in the battle.

Ok, give me any primary source which confirm dragons units given by Skworoda.

Every historian. If you don't believe, give me a primary source which confirms the participation of Polish dragoons in the battle.

Historians didn’t write primary sources. Give me the names of historians, title of works and page where modern scholars give the statement that presence of polish dragons is doubfull.

..and look to the “Polish Warfare Traditions”  vol. 1 under redaction of Janusz Sikorski – page 340 “ Czarniecki and Lubomirski have 15 thousand soldiers including 1000 dragons, rest cavalry including 5 thousandn general noble levy.”

Skowroda knows Wimmer's works and if he writes something different than elder elaboration, he should have a good reason.

Yes, if he made his own examintaion of sources (not only relation from battlefield but also reports, Juristic books etc.), however he didn’t at least he didn’t mentioned any own examintaion just putted the units which seems to him probable.

Remember, that it was my reply to your statement that there is no source which confirms that there were probably 3 companies of Polish dragoons in the battle. I have pointed out this source (Skworoda's book).

And why only 3 not 7? Because I believe the historian, who has written the book about this battle, not you.

..and I belive much more in elaboration of prof. Wiesław Majewski  (in above mentioned Polish Warfare Traditions”)

Do you know what does a distance mean? Do you know what was a distance between Royal or Witkowski pulks and for example Balaban's pulk? Do you know how long time Royal pulk and Douglas soldiers fought? I'm sure you don't know, because nodoby knows this. But you can see that it was important to which pulk dragoons belonged. It is important if they cooperated with other pulk, because they could support other pulk (and therefore didn't support Royal pulk) or they could be too far from Royal/Witkowski pulks to be in time to help Royal/Witkowski pulks.

This is not the case if the dragons were to far to support Czarniecki regiments. The questions is why he (Czarniecki) havent get with him the dragons to support the cavalry attack. My answer is he belived much more in impectic cavalry attack (probably form the time of battle of Kumeyki) and he didn’t appreciate in this time the fire support which can be given to the cavalry attack by dragons.

Absolutly improbable? Well, it is just your opinion. If this phase of the battle is described so well, why only 1 source writes about the ditch? It was written only by a hussar who participated in charges on Swedes. The Swedes didn't write about the ditch. Other Poles (who didn't participate in this fighting) also didn't write about it. So, if authors weren't Polish dragoons, why you are so absolutly certain that these sources should write about them?

Even if this phase of fighting is described most detailed, it doesn't mean that we know all details of this fighting. In fact these descriptions are very short and far from perfection.

According this “logic” we don’t know if any light banners have take part in the battle.. Lack of information about ditch can expalined easy  - just other participants of battle havent’ see this as the important factor. Presence nad fire support of dragons would be noted with sure (even if it would be only 300 dragons).

Whole this discussion is funny – you call the popular work  as newest scientific elaboration  then you write modern historian are less reliable than primary (narrative ) sources and claim that every primary source give the same reason of defeat as Kochowski  (ditch) and then in next sentce you admit that dich is only in Kochowski memories..really funny.

I've shown you mistakes in your argumentation and I've asked you about an explanation. And what is your reply? You want proofs from me of something which I have never written.

I have to ask again. You claimed that this battle is the example that 'the way they [Czarniecki and Lubomirski] command the combined arms was a little obsolete'. If so, you have to prove that:

3. they didn't do it

1.       Wimmer – few companies, Skworoda - 3 companies, Majewski - 1000 dragons

2.       They could if Czarniceki would include them in the attacking group

3.       No source gives note about fire support

'and this was the newest model of cooperation between dragoons / infantry and cavalry  in the time of Lubomirski and Czarniecki?

Yes!'

What is not true?

We were talking about reasons of the failure of Polish cavalry which attacked Swedish dragoons. It is not true that Czarniecki's or Jamiołowski's  opinion about this failure is other than Kochowski's one.

You obiusly didn’t know this sources.

Kochowski have indicated the ditch,  Czarniecki write about lack of artillery and infantry, Jemiołowski about lack of artillery and quarrel between Lubomirski and Czarniecki.

I know this elaboration very well. And I know these primary sources. Therefore I can write again - your statement ('Czarniecki have another opinion, Jemiołowski have another') is false.

Nonsense.

If they (modern historians) are against opinion of the hussar who fought in this place, yes they are not reliable. Kochowski knew the best why his unit couldn't reach swedish dragoons.

1)      Kochowski didn’t write clearly about dragons. Regarding dragons is sentce before –this prove you don’t know this source.

2)      Realibilyty of narrative source  and its critical analyse this is matter which you can learn on the first year of historical eductation, it is clear for me you know nothing about it.

And this is next your statement which I can't agree. The Poles weren't defeated by the trench. The Poles were stopped by the trench. It might be called a failure (niepowodzenie).

I was sure it is your statement. Kochowski indictae this as the main reason Poles couldn’t break through right swedish wing.

It's great that you use Wimmer and Nowak works. My opinion is based on Nowak's 'Działania gen. Douglasa i bitwa pod Wojniczem (28 IX - 5 X 1655)' p.231-236 (in 'Wojna polsko-szwedzka 1655-1660').

Great. Are they more reliable in this case then Kochowski ?

I have reminded it, because we talk about Lubomirski and Czarniecki skill of command. They didn't command in the battle of Wojnicz and AFAIK nobody claims that Lanckoroński was as good commander as Lubomirski or Czarniecki. If you claim that 'Gołąb, Wojnicz, Klecko and Filipowo shows how Swedish army could win having small amount of infantry (or even only dragons) by coordination with cavalry.' you should remember that the outcome of the battle depends on many factors - including skill of command of commanders.

Sure, I never claim the tactic was only reason.

PS. I have to suspend this "nice" discussion as I go for holiday this night. So I could answer after 10th July.

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by TJK

PS. I have to suspend this "nice" discussion as I go for holiday this night. So I could answer after 10th July. 

TJK, I will write a reply later. By now, I'd like to wish you a good time (and a good weather). Belive me or not, but I really don't want to lead this discussion into a flame war.

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 15:31
but please return TJk, we missed you here and your input is very welcome! :)

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 02:18

Where did you go you might tell us that too?

In the mean time, Ataman, could you provide me with clearer understanding of the basics of "arguement". I can get it that you must use different sources and then you are backing them with modern sources?

And I must clearly add, that if modern sources base on the evidence found in the west about dragoons and their use then in Poland, (where at that time, cavalry was much more effective) may have been different...

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 23:28

Originally posted by TJK

Oh really? I see that if some historian writes something against your opinion, he is not credible.

Well, this is just obvoius that books from the “Historical battles” series are just popular works

They are not just popular works. They are popularized-scientific works.

Originally posted by TJK

and with few exeptions (works of Nadolski, Nagielski, Wagner, Długołęcki Plewczyński and some few more) authors base not on their own examintaion of primary and secondary sources but on the other elaborations.

TJK, you shouldn't blame Skworoda for lack of his own examinations / researches. You can read the last sentence of the introduction to his book to convince oneself that Skoroda has done his own resarches. Moreover Skworoda is the only one historian who has claimed that there were 3 companies of dragoons (and called them). It shows that he has not copied old elaborations but he has said something new.

Originally posted by TJK

I like Skworoda books but as well "Warka-Gniezno" as "Hammerstein" could not be desribed as newest  scientific elaboration.

'Hammerstein' and 'Warka-Gniezno' are different stories. AFAIK the book 'Warka-Gniezno' (meaning this book with the description of the battle of Kłeck) is a popularized version of Skworoda's thesis.

Originally posted by TJK

Historians didn’t write primary sources.

and therefore I can't find any reason to believe more Wimmer or Nowak who didn't write which primary sources prove their statements than Skworoda (who also didn't write it, but at least his elaboration is newer than Nowak's one)

Originally posted by TJK

...and look to the “Polish Warfare Traditions”  vol. 1 under redaction of Janusz Sikorski – page 340 “ Czarniecki and Lubomirski have 15 thousand soldiers including 1000 dragons, rest cavalry including 5 thousandn general noble levy.”

Originally posted by TJK

...and I belive much more in elaboration of prof. Wiesław Majewski  (in above mentioned Polish Warfare Traditions”)

TJK, forgive me, but I have to say this - you have a very strange criterions of credibility. Sikorski's (Majewski's) book is a 100% popular book and (opposite to Skworoda's book) there isn't even 1 footnote which explains what are sources of particular statements. And this book is more reliable for you than Skworoda's book?

Originally posted by TJK

This is not the case if the dragons were to far to support Czarniecki regiments. The questions is why he (Czarniecki) havent get with him the dragons to support the cavalry attack. My answer is he belived much more in impectic cavalry attack (probably form the time of battle of Kumeyki) and he didn’t appreciate in this time the fire support which can be given to the cavalry attack by dragons.

My answer is different than you.

• If there were Polish dragoons in the battle (which might be not true, because neither me nor you know any primary source which confirms their presence)

• and if they could support Royal pulk (which might be not true, because in the same time they could support other Polish cavalry – we simply don't know what they did, because any source writes about them),

• and if dragoons indeed didn't support Royal pulk (again, we don't know what they did, because any source writes about it)

Czarniecki's decision to attack the Swedes without a support of dragoons (if he really ordered this :)) might be explained much simpler than your explanation. Czarniecki didn't know that there was a ditch which prevented Polish cavalry to destroy Swedish dragoons. He could believe that there is no obstacle and therefore Polish charges should be enough to destroy enemy.

When Czarniecki recognized that hussars couldn't defeat Swedish dragoons protected by the trench (or rather - if Czarniecki recognized this at all, because we don't know this), maybe he wanted to use dragoons, but if dragoons were too far, Czarniecki couldn't do it.

And therefore it is important where in reality dragoons were during this battle (if they were in this battle :)).

Originally posted by TJK

According this “logic” we don’t know if any light banners have take part in the battle..

According to this logic, we know that there were light banners in the battle, because (for example) Jemiołowski wrote about them (BTW, Jemiołowski was a comrade of a light cavalry and participated in the battle).

Originally posted by TJK

Lack of information about ditch can expalined easy  - just other participants of battle havent’ see this as the important factor.

Or they didn't see this trench (authors of these sources could be too far from this place), or they didn't want to write (I'm thinking about Swedes) that it wasn't their bravery but a banal trench which stopped Polish hussars. We can find many reasons.

Originally posted by TJK

Presence and fire support of dragons would be noted with sure (even if it would be only 300 dragons).

Again - this is just your opinion. There are many posibilites including this one, that the presence of dragoons wasn't enough important for soldiers to write about them, or that they (I mean authors of known primary sources) simply forget about dragoons. Therefore I wonder why you are so certain and why you use as qualifications as 'absolutly improbable'.

Originally posted by TJK

Whole this discussion is funny – you call the popular work  as newest scientific elaboration

Read my reply above.

Originally posted by TJK

then you write modern historian are less reliable than primary (narrative ) sources

I have to protest again. I have written:

'If they (modern historians) are against opinion of the hussar who fought in this place, yes they are not reliable. Kochowski knew the best why his unit couldn't reach swedish dragoons'

So, I have not claim that 'modern historian are less reliable than primary (narrative ) sources'. I've pointed out that in this particular case, Kochowski is the most credible source of information. Why? Because he participated in this fighting which he described.

Originally posted by TJK

and claim that every primary source give the same reason of defeat as Kochowski  (ditch)

I have to protest again. I haven't claim that 'every primary source give the same reason of defeat as Kochowski'. You (again :() got me wrong. I have written:

'What is not true?

We were talking about reasons of the failure of Polish cavalry which attacked Swedish dragoons. It is not true that Czarniecki's or Jamiołowski's opinion about this failure is other than Kochowski's one.'

I haven't write Czarniecki and Jamiołowski wrote the same reason than Kochowski. I have written that it is not true that they wrote other reasons than Kochowski. It is a big difference.

IMO, neither Jemiołowski nor Czarniecki wrote reasons of a failure of this hussars who charged Swedish dragoons. Check sources. Czarniecki's letter to the king is having more than one meaning. I am not certain (and I believe nodoby can be certain) if Czarniecki thought about this phase of the battle when he wrote 'Byśmy byli armaty co a piechoty mieli, albo też żeby był Pan Bóg według planu mego umyśloną poszczęścił imprezę, uczyniłby się był nieprzyjacielowi koniec'. As you can see, Czarniecki wrote about the battle in general – he didn't write about any particular event / phase. We can only speculate what he meant.

Moreover, look at this sentence 'Byśmy byli armaty co a piechoty mieli'. It might indicate that there weren't dragoons in the battle at all. In the other case, Czarniecki could write 'byśmy byli armaty co a piechoty WIĘCEJ mieli'. I know, it is just speculation, but I'd like to point out that this source might be interpret in many diferent ways.

As far as Jemiołowski's relation is concerned. Jemiołowski describes a sequence of events, but he doesn't writes why charges of Polish hussars failed. Literally he writes:

'Ale kiedy zaś insze pułki od piechoty i armaty szwedzkiej ustępować musiały [...]'

which might be translated in this way:

'But when other pułks had to withdraw [why they had to withdraw? Jemiołowski doesn't explain] from Swedish infantry and cannons [...]'

Therefore, IMHO, it is not true that Jemiołowski writes other reasons than Kochowski. Jemiołowski simply doesn't write reasons of failure of hussars charges. Only Kochowski writes about it.

Originally posted by TJK

and then in next sentce you admit that dich is only in Kochowski memories..really funny.

Read my explanation above.

Originally posted by TJK

I've shown you mistakes in your argumentation and I've asked you about an explanation. And what is your reply? You want proofs from me of something which I have never written.

I have to ask again. You claimed that this battle is the example that 'the way they [Czarniecki and Lubomirski] command the combined arms was a little obsolete'. If so, you have to prove that:

3. they didn't do it

1. Wimmer – few companies, Skworoda - 3 companies, Majewski - 1000 dragons

2. They could if Czarniceki would include them in the attacking group

3. No source gives note about fire support

1. And we don't know any primary source which confirms this

2. there are too many other posibilites (I have written about them above) to say that they indeed could do it

3. again – there are too many other posibilites to be certain that they did or didn't do anything in the battle.

Everything what we have are our speculations. But if we have only speculations, you can't say that 'the way they [Czarniecki and Lubomirski] command the combined arms [in the battle of Kłeck] was a little obsolete'. We don't know if it was obsolete or modern, because we don't know even basic facts.

Originally posted by TJK

'and this was the newest model of cooperation between dragoons / infantry and cavalry in the time of Lubomirski and Czarniecki?

Yes!'

Ok, so now, can you answer my other questions?

1. what was elder model of cooperation between dragoons / infantry and cavalry?

2. When this new model of cooperation was introduced to Polish and Swedish army?

Originally posted by TJK

What is not true?

We were talking about reasons of the failure of Polish cavalry which attacked Swedish dragoons. It is not true that Czarniecki's or Jamiołowski's opinion about this failure is other than Kochowski's one.

You obiusly didn’t know this sources. Kochowski have indicated the ditch,  Czarniecki write about lack of artillery and infantry, Jemiołowski about lack of artillery and quarrel between Lubomirski and Czarniecki.

Well, I have already explained it above. As you can see, I know these sources :). BTW, Jemiołowski writes about lack of artillery and about a quarrel between Czarniecki and Lubomirski to explain the outcome of the battle. As you remember, we were talking not about the outcome of the battle, but about the reason of the failure of Polish cavalry who charged Swedish dragoons. These are 2 different things.

Originally posted by TJK

Realibilyty of narrative source and its critical analyse this is matter which you can learn on the first year of historical eductation, it is clear for me you know nothing about it.

Don't worry - I am not offended :). As I have written twice – I really don't want to lead this discussion into a flame war. I'd like to discuss, not fight. I hope, you want this too.

Originally posted by TJK

And this is next your statement which I can't agree. The Poles weren't defeated by the trench. The Poles were stopped by the trench. It might be called a failure (niepowodzenie).

I was sure it is your statement.

So you got me wrong. But it is not important. It is important that I don't think that every failure (meaning – a lack of success in doing something) might be called 'a defeat' (meaning – a victory over someone in a fight). And this was my point in this sentence above. Charges of Polish hussars were a failure, because they were stopped by the trench. Hussars weren't defeated – they withdraw in a good order.

Originally posted by TJK

Great. Are they more reliable in this case then Kochowski?

In this particular case – yes, they are more reliable. Why? Because AFAIK, Kochowski didn't participate in this battle.

Originally posted by TJK

Sure, I never claim the tactic was only reason.

Great. So you should understand very well, that something might happen thanks to some factor or although some factor is present. I will explain it.

Usually there are many factors which decide about the outcom of a battle. For example – the skill of command of commanders, morale of armies, their tactics, their weapon, the terrain of the battle, a disproportion of forces etc. etc. If sombody writes that some battle shows 'how Swedish army could win having small amount of infantry (or even only dragons) by coordination with cavalry', he should point out how this coordination led to victory. And if dragoons/infantry hadn't cooperated with cavalry in this battle, the outcome would have been other than was.

IMHO, the presence of Swedish infantry in the battle of Wojnicz wasn't necessary to win. If there had been Swedish cavalry insteed of infantry, the Swedes would have won this battle too.

I don't know if I write clear, so I will give you more extreme example.

Sombody can write:

'the battle of Wojnicz shows how Swedish cavalry ecquiped of rapiers could win with Polish hussars ecquiped of lances'

This sentence indicates that they were rapiers which decided about Swedish victory and that lances were worse than rapiers. But although the statement (that the Swedish cavalry had rapiers and won with Polish hussars ecquiped of lances) is true, it is not true that using of rapiers decided about Swedish victory and that lances were worse weapon than rapiers (for cavalry of course). Why?

Look that sombody else can write other true sentence:

'the battle of Wojnicz shows that although Swedish cavalry was ecquiped of rapiers, the Swedes won with Polish hussars ecquiped of lances.'

The statement (that the Swedish cavalry had rapiers and won with Polish hussars ecquiped of lances) is true, but this sentence above indicates other inferences than the previous sentence.

If sombody wants to know which weapon was better for cavalry and what decided about the outcome of the battle of Wojnicz, he must know also other factors than only an ecquipment of cavalry involved in the battle. Therefore I have reminded you who commanded in the battle and what was disproportion between hussars and these Swedes (including Swedish infantry) who defeated them.

Date Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 00:13

In the mean time, Ataman, could you provide me with clearer understanding of the basics of "arguement". I can get it that you must use different sources and then you are backing them with modern sources?

And I must clearly add, that if modern sources base on the evidence found in the west about dragoons and their use then in Poland, (where at that time, cavalry was much more effective) may have been different...

Rider, I am confused. What's the matter? I don't understand what exactly you ask about Unhappy.

Date Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 02:05
The important question is that if a modern scholar has found out if there was a difference in the West or in Poland in using dragons.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 12:15

The important question is that if a modern scholar has found out if there was a difference in the West or in Poland in using dragons.

I think that for modern historians (these ones who know Polish and 'Western' military history) these facts are known.

Date Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 07:29

TJK, I will write a reply later. By now, I'd like to wish you a good time (and a good weather). Belive me or not, but I really don't want to lead this discussion into a flame war

Thanks, I think we could continue the discussion without this kind of emotions. Smile

but please return TJk, we missed you here and your input is very welcome! :)

Thanks Temujin, my son is now 1 year old so I belive I will have a little more time than in last several months Big smile 

They are not just popular works. They are popularized-scientific works.

I agree.

TJK, you shouldn't blame Skworoda for lack of his own examinations / researches. You can read the last sentence of the introduction to his book to convince oneself that Skoroda has done his own resarches. Moreover Skworoda is the only one historian who has claimed that there were 3 companies of dragoons (and called them). It shows that he has not copied old elaborations but he has said something new.

Some reaseraches have been done - this book is just extension of Skworoda article in “Studia i Materiały do Historii Wojskowości vol.  XLI 2004. Regarding 3 companies of dragons Skworoda just copied it from the Zdzisiław Spieralski book “ Stefan Czarniecki” who indicate the 3 dragons companies during battle of Warka, and in this field I don’t see any analyze of sources also regarding the possiblity of presence the pomorian  dragon units as well regarding the Czarniecki own dragon regiment under col. Wąsowicz  ( thanks to the analyze of Adam Kersten we know that during battle of Warka this regiment -or its bigger part- have stationed in Pogórze but we don’t know when it have join the Czarniecki forces – Spieralski indicate the presence of this regiment at Uniejów about 20th of May (...and Kochowski indicte presence of this unit during battle of Warka – look page 156).

'Hammerstein' and 'Warka-Gniezno' are different stories. AFAIK the book 'Warka-Gniezno' (meaning this book with the description of the battle of Kłeck) is a popularized version of Skworoda's thesis.

Still I have doubt about calling the “Warka-Gniezno” as the newest scientific elaboration and comparing it with Wimmer& Nowak&Teodorczyk&Herbst&Podhorodecki common work.

and therefore I can't find any reason to believe more Wimmer or Nowak who didn't write which primary sources prove their statements than Skworoda (who also didn't write it, but at least his elaboration is newer than Nowak's one)

Because if there is no direct confirmation it more safety to not define exact quantitiy of tne units. This is also the diifiference between real scientific works and popular–scientic book where in latter case the authors could more easily made their own assumption without justification. 

TJK, forgive me, but I have to say this - you have a very strange criterions of credibility. Sikorski's (Majewski's) book is a 100% popular book and (opposite to Skworoda's book) there isn't even 1 footnote which explains what are sources of particular statements. And this book is more reliable for you than Skworoda's book?

You are right, but for me Wiesław Majewski is much more credibile historian that Paweł Skworoda. I see him (W. Majewski) as the best polish warfare historian of XVII century to whom only Jan Wimmer could be compared.

My answer is different than you.

o        If there were Polish dragoons in the battle (which might be not true, because neither me nor you know any primary source which confirms their presence)

o        and if they could support Royal pulk (which might be not true, because in the same time they could support other Polish cavalry – we simply don't know what they did, because any source writes about them),

o        and if dragoons indeed didn't support Royal pulk (again, we don't know what they did, because any source writes about it)

Czarniecki's decision to attack the Swedes without a support of dragoons (if he really ordered this :)) might be explained much simpler than your explanation. Czarniecki didn't know that there was a ditch which prevented Polish cavalry to destroy Swedish dragoons. He could believe that there is no obstacle and therefore Polish charges should be enough to destroy enemy.

When Czarniecki recognized that hussars couldn't defeat Swedish dragoons protected by the trench (or rather - if Czarniecki recognized this at all, because we don't know this), maybe he wanted to use dragoons, but if dragoons were too far, Czarniecki couldn't do it.

And therefore it is important where in reality dragoons were during this battle (if they were in this battle :)).

I can just agree ..that we disagree Smile 

First I (follow the all modern historians) assume there were present some polish dragon units (not sure how many), second there were the possiblity to using this units by Czarniecki independently to which regiment they belongst (as at Warka) and third the trench was not the decisive factor at least in the 1st pahase of Czarniecki attack – it were swedish dragons in the forest what stopped the first attack.

Or they didn't see this trench (authors of these sources could be too far from this place), or they didn't want to write (I'm thinking about Swedes) that it wasn't their bravery but a banal trench which stopped Polish hussars. We can find many reasons.

But I’m talking about polish authors and I would like to underline again that even in Kochowki realtion the ditch is indicated as the reason of failure the charges in the end phase (earlier the dragons in the forest have stopped the charges)

Again - this is just your opinion. There are many posibilites including this one, that the presence of dragoons wasn't enough important for soldiers to write about them, or that they (I mean authors of known primary sources) simply forget about dragoons. Therefore I wonder why you are so certain and why you use as qualifications as 'absolutly improbable'.

Not only mine..also Skworoda  :) ( page 174) ..” in addition polish cavalry have charged without own fire support” 

I have to protest again. I have written:

'If they (modern historians) are against opinion of the hussar who fought in this place, yes they are not reliable. Kochowski knew the best why his unit couldn't reach swedish dragoons'

So, I have not claim that 'modern historian are less reliable than primary (narrative ) sources'. I've pointed out that in this particular case, Kochowski is the most credible source of information. Why? Because he participated in this fighting which he described.

Look the descrption of whole battle by Kochowski... didn’t you see many mistakes ? Where are the ambush group ? His descrption regards only very small sector of battlefield and in fact “the ditch” could be also seen as obstacle which prevent the charge of one or two banners.

1.      And we don't know any primary source which confirms this

2.      there are too many other posibilites (I have written about them above) to say that they indeed could do it

3.      again – there are too many other posibilites to be certain that they did or didn't do anything in the battle.

Everything what we have are our speculations. But if we have only speculations, you can't say that 'the way they [Czarniecki and Lubomirski] command the combined arms [in the battle of Kłeck] was a little obsolete'. We don't know if it was obsolete or modern, because we don't know even basic facts.

I should expalin this a little more... when I have (several months ago) wrote about Lubomirski and Czarnicki  as a mainly cavalry commanders and their style of command of combined arms as obsolete, I haven’t in the mind any particular battle..just it was indictaions that this polish commanders never used infantry&dragons&artillery in the way of their swedish opponents. Next when you ask the question about defeats of Lubomirski and Czarniecki I simply gave you the list of defeats sufferd by them from swedish army – and not as the examples of obsolete style of command of combined arms...

Ok, so now, can you answer my other questions?

1.      what was elder model of cooperation between dragoons / infantry and cavalry?

2.      When this new model of cooperation was introduced to Polish and Swedish army?

1. Way of using dragons&infantry in the battlefield by polish commanders in the Ist half of XVII century was more “ static”. They have been used mostly to protect the wings or rear of cavalry and not with manouvre with mixed squadrons with cavalry.

2.  In the swedish army it was introduced by Gustaw Adolf and the first exaple is AFAIR battle of Gniew. In the polish army this kind of using infantry and cavalry you can find in the center of polish army at Beresteczko.

Don't worry - I am not offended :). As I have written twice – I really don't want to lead this discussion into a flame war. I'd like to discuss, not fight. I hope, you want this too.

Yeah, exatcly I’m glad we can discuss without turning this into flame war :)

In this particular case – yes, they are more reliable. Why? Because AFAIK, Kochowski didn't participate in this battle.

Kochowski have take part in that battle - look page 361 and 362 (comments of Adam Kersten)

Great. So you should understand very well, that something might happen thanks to some factor or although some factor is present. I will explain it.

Usually there are many factors which decide about the outcom of a battle. For example – the skill of command of commanders, morale of armies, their tactics, their weapon, the terrain of the battle, a disproportion of forces etc. etc. If sombody writes that some battle shows 'how Swedish army could win having small amount of infantry (or even only dragons) by coordination with cavalry', he should point out how this coordination led to victory. And if dragoons/infantry hadn't cooperated with cavalry in this battle, the outcome would have been other than was.

IMHO, the presence of Swedish infantry in the battle of Wojnicz wasn't necessary to win. If there had been Swedish cavalry insteed of infantry, the Swedes would have won this battle too.

I don't know if I write clear, so I will give you more extreme example.

Sombody can write:

'the battle of Wojnicz shows how Swedish cavalry ecquiped of rapiers could win with Polish hussars ecquiped of lances'

This sentence indicates that they were rapiers which decided about Swedish victory and that lances were worse than rapiers. But although the statement (that the Swedish cavalry had rapiers and won with Polish hussars ecquiped of lances) is true, it is not true that using of rapiers decided about Swedish victory and that lances were worse weapon than rapiers (for cavalry of course). Why?

Look that sombody else can write other true sentence:

'the battle of Wojnicz shows that although Swedish cavalry was ecquiped of rapiers, the Swedes won with Polish hussars ecquiped of lances.'

The statement (that the Swedish cavalry had rapiers and won with Polish hussars ecquiped of lances) is true, but this sentence above indicates other inferences than the previous sentence.

If sombody wants to know which weapon was better for cavalry and what decided about the outcome of the battle of Wojnicz, he must know also other factors than only an ecquipment of cavalry involved in the battle. Therefore I have reminded you who commanded in the battle and what was disproportion between hussars and these Swedes (including Swedish infantry) who defeated them.

Sorry, but I tend to disagree. It is obvious that it could be listed many factors of swedish victory (but not the rapiers of course Wink): discipline, tactic, grerat comander etc. however the fire of dragons/musketeers have stopped sucessfull hussars in the center – withou the time wined by this unit, poles could attack one of swedish wing which was (both) in still in fight with polish cavalry. i see this as one of the decisive factors.  

Date Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 10:44

TJK, I hope you had a great holidays. Good to see you again in the group.

Originally posted by TJK

I should expalin this a little more... when I have (several months ago) wrote about Lubomirski and Czarnicki  as a mainly cavalry commanders and their style of command of combined arms as obsolete, I haven’t in the mind any particular battle..just it was indictaions that this polish commanders never used infantry&dragons&artillery in the way of their swedish opponents. Next when you ask the question about defeats of Lubomirski and Czarniecki I simply gave you the list of defeats sufferd by them from swedish army – and not as the examples of obsolete style of command of combined arms...

So I got you wrong :(. If I had known it earlier, this discussion about Kłeck wouldn't have taken place. And I think that there is no reason to talk about this battle any more. Instead of this I suggest talking more about a cooperation between dragoons/infantry and cavalry. Do you agree? If so, look below.

Originally posted by TJK

Way of using dragons&infantry in the battlefield by polish commanders in the Ist half of XVII century was more “static”. They have been used mostly to protect the wings or rear of cavalry and not with manouvre with mixed squadrons with cavalry.

In the swedish army it was introduced by Gustaw Adolf and the first exaple is AFAIR battle of Gniew. In the polish army this kind of using infantry and cavalry you can find in the center of polish army at Beresteczko.

Konstanty Górski in his 'Historia kawalerii polskiej' criticizes this Swedish manner of cooperation between cavalry and infantry (TJK, I am certain that you know Górski, but other members of this forum might not. So I'd like to explain that Górski was a cavalry officer and a historian). So, here is my question – was this manner of cooperation really better than the Polish one, or was it only better for the Swedes, who having worse cavalry than the Poles (I'm writing about the time of GA), tried to protect their poor cavalry in this way. Look that in the 18th c. Swedish army of Karol XII used other manner of cooperation between cavalry and infantry. But in that time Swedish cavalry was as good as the Polish one (or better).

Date Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 05:41

Konstanty Górski in his 'Historia kawalerii polskiej' criticizes this Swedish manner of cooperation between cavalry and infantry (TJK, I am certain that you know Górski, but other members of this forum might not. So I'd like to explain that Górski was a cavalry officer and a historian). So, here is my question – was this manner of cooperation really better than the Polish one, or was it only better for the Swedes, who having worse cavalry than the Poles (I'm writing about the time of GA), tried to protect their poor cavalry in this way. Look that in the 18th c. Swedish army of Karol XII used other manner of cooperation between cavalry and infantry. But in that time Swedish cavalry was as good as the Polish one (or better).

I think Górski’s claim is a little simplification of the problem. In fact using the mixed squadrons of infantry and cavalry could result in the somehow limitation of cavalry mobility but we should keep in the mind that usually not all cavalry was used in that manner - but only some part. Mixed suqadrons was just best in the defensive fight when attacking group were composed of pure cavalry units. This kind of formation you can find also in polish army – at Beresteczko the center is composed by “mixed squadrons” when the wings just by pure cavalry. Even better example is the second battle of Parkany where Sobieski have composed his left defensive wing (under Jabłonowski) by mixed squadrons of cavalry&infantry&dragons and  right wing (under Hieronim Lubomirski) mostly by cavalry banners.

Date Posted: 11-Jul-2006 at 14:09
Originally posted by TJK

I think Górski’s claim is a little simplification of the problem. In fact using the mixed squadrons of infantry and cavalry could result in the somehow limitation of cavalry mobility but we should keep in the mind that usually not all cavalry was used in that manner - but only some part. Mixed suqadrons was just best in the defensive fight when attacking group were composed of pure cavalry units. This kind of formation you can find also in polish army – at Beresteczko the center is composed by “mixed squadrons” when the wings just by pure cavalry. Even better example is the second battle of Parkany where Sobieski have composed his left defensive wing (under Jabłonowski) by mixed squadrons of cavalry&infantry&dragons and  right wing (under Hieronim Lubomirski) mostly by cavalry banners.

What do you think about this:

• if mixed battle array was better for a defence (I agree that it was better)

• if mixed battle array designed to use against pure cavalry formation

it means that this one who used mixed battle array didn't believe that his cavalry could alone (without a support of infantry) stand against enemy cavalry. It might indicate that:

1. this someone had inferior cavalry to cavalry of his enemy

2. or he didn't have enough cavalry to stand against enemy cavalry.

When the Poles had superior cavalry to their enemies, it was better to use pure cavalry formation (therefore usually the Poles didn't mix infantry and cavalry). When the Poles had inferior cavalry, it was better to use mixed formation. Polish battle array in the battle of Beresteczko fits to this theory. The centre of Polish army was composed of mercenary German cavalry, which was inferior to Tartars. Therefore it was better to use them in mixed formation. The wings were composed of Polish cavalry – therefore wern't mixed with infantry.

Polish battle array in the second battle of Parkany also fits to this theory. The Poles after the first battle of Parkany could affraid Ottoman cavalry and therefore Sobieski prefered to create more defencive battle array.

This theory also fits to other armies. Look at the Swedes during the reign of Gustav Adolf. Swedish cavalry was inferior to Polish one and to Emperial one. Swedish mixed battle array reflected this inferiority.

What do you think about it? I hope that also other membres of this forum will join to this discussion.

Date Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 10:48
  • if mixed battle array was better for a defence (I agree that it was better)

• if mixed battle array designed to use against pure cavalry formation

Mixed formation was used also against infantry and for offensive puropse -look St Gotthard battle. But in general I agree with that assumptions.

When the Poles had superior cavalry to their enemies, it was better to use pure cavalry formation (therefore usually the Poles didn't mix infantry and cavalry). When the Poles had inferior cavalry, it was better to use mixed formation.

I think in some cases using of mixed formation for some part of the army (center or one of the wing) was better even in case of possessing better cavalry then enemy, just to tie-in much bigger enemy forces and to achieve the superiority on the other attacking wing.  

Date Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 11:21
What do you think, why this mixed formation was later abandoned?

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 12-Jul-2006 at 16:20
Originally posted by TJK

Thanks Temujin, my son is now 1 year old so I belive I will have a little more time than in last several months Big smile 

it is nice to hear your family is doing well adn that you know even have time for the forum!

BTW, is Ludwik Badenski the famous Ludwig von Baden, called "Türkenlouis"?

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Jul-2006 at 04:20

Probably because of flintlock which became the main weapon of infantry in the end of XVII century. This weapon gave much bigger firepower and also has influence on changing the formation of the infantry – it became one continuous line instead the separate squadrons. It should be noted however that in Swedish army mixed formation was sometimes used also in the beginning of XVIII century – for example on left wing during battle of Kliszów.

BTW, is Ludwik Badenski the famous Ludwig von Baden, called "Türkenlouis"?

Yes, this is the same person.

Date Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 02:36
Originally posted by TJK

Probably because of flintlock which became the main weapon of infantry in the end of XVII century. This weapon gave much bigger firepower and also has influence on changing the formation of the infantry – it became one continuous line instead the separate squadrons. It should be noted however that in Swedish army mixed formation was sometimes used also in the beginning of XVIII century – for example on left wing during battle of Kliszów.

TJK, to be honest, I don't understand what your point is. I agree that using of flintlocks was an important innovation. I agree that infantry changed its tactic/formation. But we agreed that mixed formation of cavalry and infantry was used because it gave better defence for cavalry (when cavalry couldn't alone stand against enemy cavalry), right? If so, I don't understand what new weapon and new array of infantry changed. After all, these innovations gave better defence for cavalry. So mixed formations should be used also in 18-19th c. The question is - why commanders in 18-19th recognized that it was better to use pure formations instead mixed ones?

Date Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 07:23

TJK, to be honest, I don't understand what your point is. I agree that using of flintlocks was an important innovation. I agree that infantry changed its tactic/formation. But we agreed that mixed formation of cavalry and infantry was used because it gave better defence for cavalry (when cavalry couldn't alone stand against enemy cavalry), right? If so, I don't understand what new weapon and new array of infantry changed. After all, these innovations gave better defence for cavalry. So mixed formations should be used also in 18-19th c. The question is - why commanders in 18-19th recognized that it was better to use pure formations instead mixed ones?

My point is that probably the much bigger firepower given infantry by using the flintlock was enough to stop (in most cases) the frontal attack of cavalry =>thus usinig mixed formation was not needed. Additionally the cavalry in XVIII century became minor part of the armies ( 20-25%) and its importance on the battlefield was much lower than in XVII century

Date Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 23:30
Originally posted by TJK

My point is that probably the much bigger firepower given infantry by using the flintlock was enough to stop (in most cases) the frontal attack of cavalry =>thus usinig mixed formation was not needed.

Ok, but mixed formation was (probably Smile) created to help cavalry. I see no reason why infantry armed of flintlocks couldn't help cavalry also in 18th c. (in fact, you have already pointed out the battle where infantry armed of flintlocks was mixed with cavalry - Kliszow 1702). If sombody in 18-19th c. had worse cavalry than his enemy, it was good to mix his cavalry with infantry - exactly like in 17th c. 

There is also other possibility - we have made mistake. I mean, our previous specultion was wrong. Mixed formation had other task than protect worse cavalry.

Anyway, I think that something doesn't fit here.

Date Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 03:08
Usually formations are going to ATTACK the enemy with minimal losses. So your idea of mixed formation should be right.

However, I think that if you have 200 cavalrymen with 300 infantrymen, the riders (let's say carabiners or dragoons) can't attack a superior force, so you take defensive positions. If there are about 2000 enemy soldiers then they would cut down your cavalry in a few seconds. But if you are on defensive and you order your infantry's first lines to lie down (50 men in a line perhaps). The enemy comes to get you, marches straight on, some men are performing flanking. You concentrate fire on the forwardmost and position your men with one infantryman besides a cavalryman so the line goes:

I - Infantryman
C - Cavalryman

I C I C I C I C I C I C I C I C I C
              C I C I C I C I C I C I C I C I C I
              IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
CCCCC  IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII               IIIIIII
CCCCC                                                                   IIIIIII
                                                                              IIIIIII
                 CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Then you can instantly mow down four times more enemies then you could with anything else. I have not noted the first two lines, but eve nif the enemy fires at you with his still superior force, his center should be well devastated, the C in the Reserve are for helping others out when the time is right and the other battalion is defending the flank. The I battalion is aswell defending a flank.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 01:08

But if you are on defensive and you order your infantry's first lines to lie down (50 men in a line perhaps). The enemy comes to get you, marches straight on, some men are performing flanking. You concentrate fire on the forwardmost and position your men with one infantryman besides a cavalryman so the line goes:

I - Infantryman
C - Cavalryman

IIIIIII
                 CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Then you can instantly mow down four times more enemies then you could with anything else. I have not noted the first two lines, but eve nif the enemy fires at you with his still superior force, his center should be well devastated, the C in the Reserve are for helping others out when the time is right and the other battalion is defending the flank. The I battalion is aswell defending a flank.

Raider, AFAIK nobody mixed infantry and cavalry in this way above. I think that it was good to mix only units of infantry with units of cavalry, but it could be unfortunately to mix single soldiers of infantry with single soldiers of cavalry.

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2006 at 05:36
Ok, but mixed formation was (probably Smile) created to help cavalry. I see no reason why infantry armed of flintlocks couldn't help cavalry also in 18th c. (in fact, you have already pointed out the battle where infantry armed of flintlocks was mixed with cavalry - Kliszow 1702). If sombody in 18-19th c. had worse cavalry than his enemy, it was good to mix his cavalry with infantry - exactly like in 17th c. 

There is also other possibility - we have made mistake. I mean, our previous specultion was wrong. Mixed formation had other task than protect worse cavalry.

Yeah, I think this assumption should be changed - to protect formation (no matter infantry or  cavalry) against charge of enemy cavalry. In XVIII century  it was in most cases infantry fights which decide about fate of battle, so maybe it was no reason to "waste" some infantry units to proctect the cavalry.

Date Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 16:02

But if you are on defensive and you order your infantry's first lines to lie down (50 men in a line perhaps). The enemy comes to get you, marches straight on, some men are performing flanking. You concentrate fire on the forwardmost and position your men with one infantryman besides a cavalryman so the line goes:

I - Infantryman
C - Cavalryman

IIIIIII
                 CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Raider, AFAIK nobody mixed infantry and cavalry in this way above. I think that it was good to mix only units of infantry with units of cavalry, but it could be unfortunately to mix single soldiers of infantry with single soldiers of cavalry.

Be correct with names!!! Second time in one minute i notice my name misspelled!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 01:02

Be correct with names!!! Second time in one minute i notice my name misspelled!!!

I'm so sorry Embarrassed

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 03:16
Hey, Ataman, have you seen that Osprey on Polish Winged Hussars? It came out this month.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/title_detail.php/title=S650X - See here.

Read the extract. Quite interesting (=must get that one).

Originally posted by Osprey

Contents
  • Introduction: History and Origins
  • Chronology
  • Recruitment & Organisation
  • Equipment
  • Wings
  • Horses & Saddlery
  • Campaign & Camp Life
  • Experience of Battle
  • Conclusion
  • Glossary
  • Museums
  • Collecting
  • Re-enactment
  • Colour plate commentary
  • Index
  • It seems normal, but I started to wonder, that what does Recruitment do in there? Weren't they professional soldiers and anyone who wanted became one, but they had to buy/manufacture their own weapons and armour and horses?

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 06:19

Hey, Ataman, have you seen that Osprey on Polish Winged Hussars? It came out this month.

I hope to have this Osprey soon.

I started to wonder, that what does Recruitment do in there? Weren't they professional soldiers and anyone who wanted became one, but they had to buy/manufacture their own weapons and armour and horses?

Well, a recruitment to a unit of Polish hussars had its specificity. It is described very well by Urszula Augustyniak in her book 'W służbie hetmana i Rzeczypospolitej' (it is a book about Krzysztof Radziwiłł's soldiers; Krzysztof Radziwiłł was a Lithuanian hetman). Part of his hussars were mercenaries. The other part were 'friends of Radziwiłł's family'. The other part was composed of Radziwiłł's 'klients' (meaning nobles who were depended on Radziwiłł; for example they were tenants of Radziwiłł's estates).
    As far as weapon and horses are concerned, it is true that hussars had to buy/provide weapon and horses for themselves (except lances).

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 08:59

They had many lances, am I correct? And two pistols, a sword and a carabine. I have read this from somewhere. Also, three horses for one rider or was it one horse and one to carry packages?

-------------

Posted By: Majkes
    Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 09:08
    They had also a long sword called Koncerz and a hammer called Nadziak. Some had a bow. Hussar's sabre was probably the best in Europe. I don't know about horses.Ermm

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 09:11

Why was the Polish saber best in Europe? In the 16th century and 17th century, the best (or one of the best) swords were made in Sweden and I do not think they had sold many of their swords to Poland.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 09:38

Why was the Polish saber best in Europe? In the 16th century and 17th century, the best (or one of the best) swords were made in Sweden and I do not think they had sold many of their swords to Poland.

It was a very special design and shape which allowed to make really strong cuts - if im correct affcourse. Im not a great specialist but iv heard  the comments of specialists who were saying that polish hussar saber was a masterpiece.
    By many it was considered as the best cavalry saber ever made. Ill look for more info about it

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 09:45
    From wikipedia article:

Hussar szabla

The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussar - hussar sabre was perhaps the best-known type of szabla of its times and became a precursor to many other such European weapons. Introduced around http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1630 - 1630 , it served as a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_cavalry - cavalry męlée weapon, mostly used by heavy cavalry, or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussars - Hussars . Much less curved than its Armenian predecessors, it was ideal for horseback fighting and allowed for much faster and stronger pushes. The heavier, almost fully closed hilt offered both good protection of the hand and much better control over the sabre during a skirmish. Two feather-shaped pieces of metal on both sides of the blade called moustache (wąsy) offered greater durability of the weapon by strengthening its weakest point: the joint between the blade and the hilt. The soldier fighting with such sabre could use it with his thumb extended for even greater control. The finger was shielded by a small ring of steel, protecting it from enemy weapon going along the sabre's blade. A typical hussar szabla was relatively long, with the average blade of 85 centimetres in total. The tip of the blade, usually some 15 to 18 centimetres long, was in most cases double-edged. Such sabres were extremely durable yet stable, and were used in combat well into http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_century - 19th century . Its design influenced a number of other designs in other parts of Europe and led to the introduction of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre - sabre in Western Europe.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 09:50

They had many lances, am I correct? And two pistols, a sword and a carabine. I have read this from somewhere. Also, three horses for one rider or was it one horse and one to carry packages?

Rider, maybe we should continue this discussion in the thread destined to Polish winged hussars? There is already one in this forum.

Anyway, hussars had lances from their commanders. Lances were very expensive weapons (the cost of a hussar lance was similar to the cost of a musket).
    The ammount of horses was between 3-6 per 1 hussar (there were war horses, but also horses for wagons etc.).
    This information is from a new book about Polish hussars ('Fenomen husarii' by Ryszard Sikora).

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 09:58
    Originally posted by Majkes

I don't know about horses.Ermm

Polish war horses were also the best in Europe.
    There is for example Ottoman description of the battle of Vienna 1683, where the author praised Polish horses very much.

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 10:00

And i found also this:

"Można nią również wykonać wszystkie najważniejsze cięcia – zarówno te, do których nadają się najlepsze zachodnioeuropejskie szable, jak i te, które można wykonać tylko szablą wschodnią lub mieczem japońskim, słusznie więc uznawana jest za najlepszą kawaleryjską szablę świata."

What in english moreless means that with this saber it is possible to make all the cuts which can be made with the best western european sabers but also those which can be made only with eastern sabers and japanese swords so it is right to consider polish hussar saber as the best cavarly saber in the world.

By the way, the hussar saber was in Poland usually called "Black Saber".

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 10:05

Rider, maybe we should continue this discussion in the thread destined to Polish winged hussars? There is already one in this forum.

Well, first must be said that it is thread started by Rider so if he want he may discuss here whatever he wants.

Second: Rider is a moderator of this forum so Im not sure if it is right to moderate our newest moderator LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 10:07

Hmm. Intersting thought. We should do that indeed.

Please continue from the Renewal message, thanks.  

@ Mosquito: Thanks, but I guess he is right. Should have noticed that myself, and I am the creator of the other topic too.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 10:56

@ Mosquito: Thanks, but I guess he is right. Should have noticed that myself, and I am the creator of the other topic too.

I know, i was just joking. But dont think guys that i make laugh of you.. well, maybe a little bitLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 11:16

Swedish sabre was maybe good because of good stel but You wouldn't do with it such cuts like with Polish sabre. I would have difficulties to explain it but polish saber was what is the best in western and eastern sabre.

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 11:18

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=212&PID=250465#250465 - Please, Majkes, into the other topic.

-------------

Posted By: Timotheus
    Date Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 01:03
    Sobieski beyond a doubt. Nobody else has a constellation named after him :D

I'm not totally familiar with all of these, but I do know nobody had as great of an impact on world history. Sobieski was in many ways the second Charles Martel, if you follow my meaning.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 03:03
    Originally posted by Timotheus

Sobieski beyond a doubt. Nobody else has a constellation named after him :D

I'm not totally familiar with all of these, but I do know nobody had as great of an impact on world history. Sobieski was in many ways the second Charles Martel, if you follow my meaning.

In the late XVII century we didn't have many great commanders in comparison to XVIth and first half of XVIIth centuries.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 11:32
    Well, atleast many knew what they were going to do, unlike some others in history. Also, they were well skilled and trained.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 16:48

Well, atleast many knew what they were going to do, unlike some others in history. Also, they were well skilled and trained.

What do You mean by that?Ermm

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 10:37
    They mostly knew what they had to do.

They were skilled though only a few have made their names truly famous.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com