Print Page | Close Window

World Empire

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Scholarly Pursuits
Forum Name: Intellectual discussions
Forum Discription: Discuss political and philosophical theories, religious beliefs and other academic subjects
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17424
Printed Date: 07-Jun-2024 at 17:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: World Empire
Posted By: tommy
Subject: World Empire
Date Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 21:01
What kinds of standard should you use when you define  a world empire?

-------------
leung

Replies:
Posted By: Top Gun
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 04:31
their don't exist a world empire the boundries go to far to hold it intact

-------------

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 07:47
Originally posted by Top Gun

accualy they doSmile.

A world empire is an empire who streches out over more than one continent.

Ill name a couple that come to my mide at the moment

Roman
Ottoman
Mongols
Brittish(although I have never seen it as an real empire in the clasical sence of an empire)
Islamic empire
Byzantine( I think its the eastrn roman empire so yes)
Russian(was the last in the world I guess) although officialy it was a union or state

please correct me if im wrong

EDIT: it also could have to do the influence of the empire)

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Posted By: Dilvish
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 13:17

why is this in General World History if there has never been an actual world empire, in order to post this on here it has to be a part of history not an implication or a definition of a world empire.

MY definition of a world empire is any form of leadership that manages to unite all of Earth under 1 type of rulership, could be a dictatorship or prefferibly in my opinion a total democrasy.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 13:19
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Originally posted by Top Gun

A world empire is an ampire who streches out over more than one continent.

Are you sure you'd like to abide by your definition of a world empire?

-------------

Posted By: Top Gun
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 13:21
oooooooo sorry I understanded it wrongley I thought you meant an empire that ruled the whole world not an empire that had a great definition in history

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 13:54
you should have asked him too specify u no...

-------------

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 16:19
Dude you forgot to include the Spanish Empire.

-------------

Posted By: pekau
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 16:29
Japanese Empire, and France was once an empire under the leadership of Napoleon. And... so many ancient empires as well... like Egyptian and Babylonian Empires...

-------------
http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 16:53
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Dude you forgot to include the Spanish Empire.

dude I know I forgotten

I was just a list of examples ponceBig%20smile

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 17:16

I would say that a world empire is an empire which controls directly (or indirectly -through vassal states and economic control), at least a quarter of the lands and population which are known to the inhabitants of the empire, and which are economically significant.

Thus, the Roman Empire is a world empire, but its contemporary Hunnic Empire is not, because it was the Roman Empire which controlled the majority of the regions known to the Classical world which were economically productive and were heavily populated. The Hunnish empire, although almost as large in surface, was much smaller in population and economic strength (though not in military strength I might add).

Other examples not mentioned yet would include:

Han, Tang, Ming and Qing China
Maurya and Moghul Empires in India
Inca Empire in South America
Khmer Empire in South-East Asia
Ummayad and Abbasid Caliphates
Seljuk Empire
Achemenid Persian Empire (and arguably also Sassanid)

Despite their small size, the 3 Egyptian empires (from the 4th, 12th and 19th dynasties), Sargon I's empire, the Assyrian Empire, the Mali and Songhay Empires in West Africa, the thalassocracy of Minoan Greece, among others, are also world empires. The key point is that these states had conquered a large proportion of the populated lands which were known to them.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 18:45
I think that any empire without lands or certain grade of control on the main masses of land of the Earth can't be included in this elite club. Roman Empire, all the chinese Empires, the steppe empires, all they are regional or supraregional but not globals.

So the first global, really world empires only born in the XV century and have a peak in the British and American empire of today.

-------------

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 20:33
Ikki, from the perspective of say the Mongols, or even Alexander, they conquered most of the world. The actual dimensions of the empire matter less than the perception of those people that the empire was a world empire. Do you simply limit "world" to all the landmasses on Earth, or do you look at it from the perspective of the people in the respective historical times? If it is the former, then I would argue that perhaps there wasn't even one true world empire ever.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Posted By: pekau
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 20:41
Agreed. But who knows. Maybe UN would become more effective in the future and make the fictional "One world government" into reality.

Then the aliens march in...LOL

-------------
http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Date Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 08:39
Originally posted by Decebal

Ikki, from the perspective of say the Mongols, or even Alexander, they conquered most of the world. The actual dimensions of the empire matter less than the perception of those people that the empire was a world empire. Do you simply limit "world" to all the landmasses on Earth, or do you look at it from the perspective of the people in the respective historical times? If it is the former, then I would argue that perhaps there wasn't even one true world empire ever.

I think that we have the advantage of the time over the people of the past, so we must take benefit of this quality, our knowledge about differents civilizations and cultures allow us to see who were a really global power and who not, if they recognize the world around or not. The geopolitical evaluation of the people of the past can be imposed over our analitic view of the events.

If this don't convince you Decebal, think about that in very few times an empire thought that control the whole known world. In fact, the only examples that come to my mind are two: Egypt of the Ancient empire, when they was sourronded by barbarians and thought that the whole world was the Nile valley (no directs contacts with Sumer) And chinese states in certain times under the same conditions.
But the Roman Empire and Han China are not included in this club of the controllers of the world: both empires knew the african-euroasiatic land mass from one point to the other, vaguely on the extremes, so these empires can't be included in the group following your conditions.

-------------

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 12:55
Well, by your definition, Egypt is one World Empire... It spans a part of Africa and a part of Asia...

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 13:02
You could even class Australia as a once "world empire" lol, depending on which continent you want to associate with Papua New Guinea.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 13:41
Read carefully dear friends  "lands or certain grade of control on the main masses of land of the Earth" If we take literally, we have out any country without land on Atarctic continent, but, there isn't any civilization or empire, so well defined, in populated masses of land.

You know: Asia, África, América, Europe, Oceanía?

-------------

Posted By: chimera
Date Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 18:15
How about Catholic Church, Coca Cola and credit cards?
chimera

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 00:14
Originally posted by rider

Well, by your definition, Egypt is one World Empire... It spans a part of Africa and a part of Asia...

I would just like to add that throughout Egypt's history, it has always been an "empire", for the simple fact that she ruled over peoples of different ethnics and cultures, not only native Egyptians.

A "World" empire is truely a completely different "entity", when compared to a regular traditional empire.

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 04:41
I used this definiton:

Originally posted by xi tujue

A world empire is an empire who streches out over more than one continent.

-------------

Posted By: chimera
Date Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 16:09
Osama ben Ladin of The All Merciful and All Benevolent is pulling a few chains.He got the whole world looking at his evil empire on 9/11.
chimera

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com