Print Page | Close Window

Who is the greatest Roman General

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1710
Printed Date: 19-Apr-2024 at 23:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who is the greatest Roman General
Posted By: Winterhaze13
Subject: Who is the greatest Roman General
Date Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 18:16
Who would you say is the greatest Roman general in terms of talent, success and power?

-------------
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Replies:
Posted By: vagabond
Date Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 00:26

W-13

I have moved your poll to the Greco Roman forum from the Ancient History forum - I think more people with an interest in things Roman will find it here.

v

-------------
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)

Posted By: Dawn
Date Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 16:26
Always like this debate. Such a tough choice and so many differant veiws. Some notables missing from the choices- Sulla and Agrippa

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 17:33

Originally posted by Dawn

Always like this debate. Such a tough choice and so many differant veiws. Some notables missing from the choices- Sulla and Agrippa

I knew I would forget some because there are so many possible chooses. I hope people don't settle on Julius Caesar because he is the most famous on the list. Although he conquerored Gaul and was probably the most powerful of those on the list, in terms of talent and military manouvering he is not undoubtably the best. In fact, although he was able to defeat Pompey in his power struggle, it is Pompey who is widely considered the better of the two. 

-------------

-- Voltaire

Posted By: Dawn
Date Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 18:36
I think you will find that most here will not choose him. As to choices, you can never include them all. I only thought of those ones because I never considered Augustus much of a general. 

-------------

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 19:22

My vote is for Julius Caesar: good tactic, good strategy, very good in the siege war.

Surelly, a roman army of the second century AC was more powerful than an army of first century BC; but Julius Caesar were the first roman general that fight with the highest power of legions. All the elements existed before him, but he got the best use of that elements: artillery in the battlefield, powerful cavalry, bettered the pilum, great use of auxilia and changed the basic tactic of the legion (three lines to two lines if was necesarily) The imperial generals tooks his lessons and fighted.

Julius Caesar make more things than other general after or before him with the roman army.

Posted By: Imperatore Dario I
Date Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 17:57
It's a hard choice between Julius Caesar and Scipio Africanus, both are excellent generals, and it's hard to choose the better one. I mean, Scipio Africanus overthrew the strongest military general of the day - Hannibal, and that was definately not an easy achievement. Julius Caesar on the other hand conquered the vast lands of Gaul and reunified the Roman Republic under his rule.

-------------

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid

Posted By: J.M.Finegold
Date Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 18:54
I chose Scipio, although it is a hard choice.  I'm just facinated by his victory against Hannibal, his prior victory at the Great Plains and his subsequent victories in Spain. 

-------------

Posted By: Cornellia
Date Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 19:48

I'm going to go out on a limb here and probably place the only vote for Marcellus who, because of his earlier successes against Hannibal, was known as the "Sword of Rome". 

M. Claudius Marcellus had a long and distinguished military record.  As a veteran of the First Punic War, he served the earliest of his 5 consulships fighting Gauls in the north of Italy where he killed the Gallic chieftan in a personal batttle.  A play was even produced about it.

In the Second Punic War, Marcellus was the first Roman commander to enjoy a victory over Hannibal while defending the city of Nola.  Militarily it wasn't an important battle but the effect that it had on Roman morale was.   Marcellus was able to provide the first hope that Hannibal could be beaten.

Again in 215 BC, Marcellus beat Hannibal in Nola and Plutarch claims that for the first time there were enemy desertions to Rome.    His efforts won him a 3rd consulship and after fending off Hannibal's final atempt to take Nola, he moved to assist in the siege of Casilinum.  Once that city was retaken, Marcellus was assigned to Sicily.

Syracuse was one of the most important cities in the West and one that was probably the best defended thanks to Archimedes.  Marcellus abandoned his attempts to take the city by storm, deciding to put a blockade in place.  He resisted Carthaginian attempts to relieve the city and foiled all Syracusan atempts to break the blockade.  During a festival in 212 BC, the Syracusans became careless and Marcellus was able to lead a force over the walls and captured the suburbs.   The inner city was finally betrayed by an opportunistic mercenary which allowed the Romans to overwhelm the remaining defenders.

-------------
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Posted By: Imperatore Dario I
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 15:09

I love Archimedes. I'm so proud to be from the same island he was from.

Not saying that he's the best, but I love Gordianus III. Gaining the throne at the age of thirteen, he defeated the Sassanians who were invading Rome. Gordianus III defeated Shapur I in battle, and was even about to occupy Ctesiphon, but alas, he was assassinated by Philip the Arab, who assumed the imperial throne after his death.

-------------

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:00
Scipio is my favorite, but man is it tempting to pick "Fabulous Fab" Fabius Maximus, Lord of Interior Design and King of Drag!

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Lannes
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:10
Caesar.  He beats all others in terms of tactical ability quite easily.

-------------
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 20:29
Yea, but Caesar didn't wasn't born one hundred to two hundred years before...so Scipio gets to say he defeated Hannibal. 

-------------

Posted By: pytheas
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 14:07
Fabius Maximus.  He was responsible for the rebuilding/raising of a professional army where none really existed.  He had the toughest job and was able to suceed at laying the foundation for the Roman military machine.

-------------
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 16:42
Definitely, Gaius Julius Caesar. Veni, Vidi, Vici

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 17:22
Originally posted by pytheas

Fabius Maximus.  He was responsible for the rebuilding/raising of a professional army where none really existed.  He had the toughest job and was able to suceed at laying the foundation for the Roman military machine.

I must agree that Fabius is always underrated, and that his policies had been continued with the war may have lasted a bit shorter and the Romans wouldn't have lost 80,000 men at Cannae.

-------------

Posted By: pytheas
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 15:25
Jay Caesar was indeed a brilliant tactician and politically very astute, but I think that Fabius laid the base for which many other later generals tread, Caesar included.  He wouldn't have been able to "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" (to modernize the old Latin quote from above).

-------------
Truth is a variant based upon perception. Ignorance is derived from a lack of insight into others' perspectives.

Posted By: Qnzkid711
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 19:48
What about Scipio Africanus. IMO, his a very underrated general. He beat Hannibal. Also what about Belisarious? IMO, his another amazingf and underrated general. From the East Roman Empire(Byzantine). Look him up.

Posted By: Qnzkid711
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 19:48
Oh okay, I didnt see Scipio.

Posted By: ChineseManchurian
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 23:16

Scipio

reason: capture Spain, the base of Carthage, defeat Carthage for like 5 times kills anymost 200000sodiers.

Jilius almost lost the war in the final battle against Guals, he just got won by lucky, he is a little bit over rated.

Posted By: Serge L
Date Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 02:07

Originally posted by Lannes

Caesar.  He beats all others in terms of tactical ability quite easily.

I agree . . . and yet I voted for Augustus. In fact, if Caesar was the best tactician (with Scipio approx. on the same level), Augustus was the best strategist; besides, he not only knew how to do war, but also how and when to stop.

IIRC, among the listed ones, was the only one who was born a little more than a commoner (actually, one of many self-appointed heirs of Julius Caesar), and eventually died in his own bed and of old age as an emperor.

Since the exact question was about "the greatest Roman general in terms of talent, success and power", I think the answer is obvious.

Posted By: Inquisitor Dei
Date Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 11:35
Scipio was great but I think none matched Caesar.

-------------
"I am the way, the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father but through me."

--John 14:6

Posted By: jesusfreak1
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 22:39
Julius Ceasar most definitly.....with his war tactics and and strategys I think he would have made a fine Dictator....now if only he wasn't killed so early...darn...well I guess that all turned out for the best

-------------
Yes I am a true Jesus Freak!!!

Posted By: Laelius
Date Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 02:13

Scipio is remembered as a great general by the accounts of Livy and Polybius, Caesar is remembered as great because he wrote his own accounts.  Next to the genius of Scipio Caesar was no more than an overrated sepoy general.  Scipio fought against the most lethal enemies Rome ever faced and crushed them in turn.  If you disagree I challenge you to find a battle fought by Julius that demonstrated the same brilliance of Scipio.  You can look at Alecium and Pharsalus but neither is an Illipia.

Date Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 13:45
Perhaps you have a point. Scipio was in fact good. But one tends to chose Caesar. His name endured more...

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 13:59

Of course Caesar's name endured more, he was the first emperor and he was assasinated.  As far as I'm concerned this further proves the superiority of Scipio who didn't sieze power and crown himself emperor even though he could have. The far better man Scipio fought his entire life for the service of Rome.  Caesar only for himself.

Date Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 14:05
BTW Augustus was not a general though he was a brilliant politician and administrator who surrounded himself with exceptional commanders.

Date Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 12:07
Originally posted by Laelius

Of course Caesar's name endured more, he was the first emperor and he was assasinated.  As far as I'm concerned this further proves the superiority of Scipio who didn't sieze power and crown himself emperor even though he could have. The far better man Scipio fought his entire life for the service of Rome.  Caesar only for himself.

Fair enough.

-------------

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 13:46
It was a tough decision for me, but I ended up choosing Scipio over Caesar. Scipio beat Hannibal, and Caesar beat Pompey, which means that both beat great generals. Both conquered large portions of land. Their fairly matched. So why did I choose Scipio? Well, one must remember, Julius Caesar had the benefit of an army reformed by Marius. Scipio on the other hand had to use soldiers conscripted in the old way (so to speak), under stressing circumstances. Also, I see Caesar more as a leader than a general, strangely enough.

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 14:25

My two favourites are Julius Ceasar and Scipio. But i will have to say that despite all of the contestants of the list were good generals they always had their right hand men who many times ran the army for them. For example, generally people are considering Octavian as a great general, judging from his victories but not many know that most of his successes should be credited to his right hand man, Agrippa.  

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 19:25
I would say the greatest Roman commander is Belisarius. No other Roman commander was so blessed in war (and cursed in love). Second greatest would be Emperor Constantine, followed by Emperor Aurelian who was the "restorer of the world". 

-------------

Posted By: Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 08:03

Several major figures are missing from this poll.

Where is Vespasian?

Where is Agricola?

Where is Trajan?

And what about Marcus Agrippa, victor of Actium?  You should take down Octavian (aka Augustus) and put Agrippa up there.

-------------
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 13:04

was Belisarius really Roman? and I wouldn't include Constantine the Christian there either, after all he ended the real Roman empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 16:16

I would say the greatest Roman commander is Belisarius. No other Roman commander was so blessed in war (and cursed in love). Second greatest would be Emperor Constantine, followed by Emperor Aurelian who was the "restorer of the world". 

Don't get me wrong Belisarius was an exceptional commander yet I think that his success was more the result of his insane luck.

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 16:24

There's far too many notable Roman commanders for a single poll.  Asides from the others mentioned where is Flavius Stilicho, Septimus Severus, Avidus Cassius, Nero Claudius Germanicus(well of course none of them compare to Scipio Africanus   ).  Personally I think a number of different polls should be created for different eras of the Republic/Empire with the winners from each poll included in one final poll.

Date Posted: 15-Feb-2005 at 16:25

was Belisarius really Roman? and I wouldn't include Constantine the Christian there either, after all he ended the real Roman empire.

Belisarius was born in the Balkans, I think the Dalmation coast.

Date Posted: 24-May-2005 at 17:35

If you like Ancient history please check out this great forum:

http://ancient-empires.net/forum/index.php?act=idx - http://ancient-empires.net/forum/index.php?act=idx

-------------

-- Voltaire

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 25-May-2005 at 10:49
I too think Octavian should be removed in favour of his trusted general Agrippa, as Octavian wasn't much of a military leader at all.

Out of the ones available I choose Julius Caesar, in my opinion a great general also needs a firm grip on politics. War is politics.

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 26-May-2005 at 22:31

Read Procopius' On the Wars and you will see Belisarius succeeded due to his own imaginative brilliant more than anything else. Belisarius was a count from Thrace but under the circumstances of the day may rightly be considered Roman. Being Roman was being part of an idea and ideology, not specific genetic stock.

I pick Scipio. As has been said Caesar wrote his own histories and Scipio did not. Scipio was integral in snatching Roman victory from the jaws of defeat in what was a deathmatch for survival. Caesar's victories, though great, annexed the land of a militarily poorly organised and outfitted people without strong central leadership or a commander comparable to Hannibal. Caesar did this inheriting the most effective military force of the day, recently reorganised under Marius. Scipio had to use men leftover from the creme de la creme being wiped out at Trebbia, Trasimene and Cannae. Slaves were freed to take up arms and ceremonial weapons stripped from the temples to outfit them in desperation. Scipio brought Rome from desperation to the greatest power in the Western World, Caesar set out on a campaign based on greed and personal ambition.

-------------

Posted By: Vlad Catrina
Date Posted: 29-May-2005 at 09:42
Caius Julius Casar is the greatest. I`m not talking from my experience, I`m talking from precise sources.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com