Forum Discription: Discuss linguistics: the study of languages
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16973
Printed Date: 27-Apr-2024 at 18:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What's the most difficult language to lea
Posted By: pekau
Subject: What's the most difficult language to lea
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 19:02
Ok, sorry for not being able to bring a lot of option... but I only have 5 options. You could mention other languages by posting on the forum....   

-------------
http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Replies:
Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 19:06
I'd have voted 'Other'. I have heard that English is exceptionally hard, but I wouldn't know because it's my first language. Russian is meant to be fairly difficult. I suppose though that Chinese, Arabic or Korean - or any language which uses a different number and letter system than English would be a challenge for me. German, French, Spanish.etc are easier for English speakers to learn. 

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 19:10
Yeah, I am Korean... and the grammar order and verb is quite confusing... (Though I am improving, according to others) I am taking French, and it's ok... but this masculine and feminine is so confusing!!! My teacher told me that there's no rule to determine whether the word's masculine or feminine... is that true?

-------------

Join us.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 19:19
Yes that's pretty much true, except once it is in context or conjugated. I find the whole masculine/feminine thing illogical. I mean come on, rocks, rivers and everything inanimate has no gender. It's silly with say a cat (le chat - masculine), but there's female cats too! Tongue
I've found the easiest language to learn as an English speaker is definatly German, and the hardest of those that I've learnt - Mandarin

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 19:33
I hoped to take German as well, but my school only offers French or Spanish.

-------------

Join us.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 19:36
Is Latin meant to be a hard language to learn? Apparently one of the only ways you can learn it is through repetition. Has anyone learnt or knows Latin?

Posted By: King John
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 19:52
Latin just like any language that you will learn is simply a matter of how much you put into it. Since it is not really a spoken language anymore it requires more repetition than some languages. I did two years of college latin in one year and am currently taking a third year. No language is meant to be difficult to learn. If you think about it though the way we speak about English is based on Latin grammar.

Posted By: Byzantine Emperor
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 20:06
Originally posted by Knights

Is Latin meant to be a hard language to learn? Apparently one of the only ways you can learn it is through repetition. Has anyone learnt or knows Latin?

I took Latin in high school and continued to take translation courses all through undergraduate school.  When it came time for me to learn Greek my junior year of undergrad, it was a lot easier based on my knowledge of Latin grammar.  There were others in my beginning ancient Greek courses that had taken no foreign language or some French or Spanish and they were having an awful time with the grammatical structures.

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=12713 - Late Byzantine Military
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas

Posted By: King John
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 20:15
What I found in Latin was the ability to think about a language. That is when I learned latin my command of English grammar improved as did my ability to learn other languages because I had acquired a way to think about the languages I was learning.

latin is probably one of the most useful languages to have a knowledge of for the reason stated above.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 22:18
Well, it depends from which mother language one comes from. Mine is Spanish so I can understand most of what is written in Latin. Besides, when I saw "The Passion" of Gibson, and I listened those Romans speaking latin, I could follow them without much effort :)

For me, the easiest languages are Portuguese, Italian and French in that order. English is the non-Latin language more easy to learn. All the rest are a lot more difficult but European languages like German and Russian seem relatively accessible for me.

Non-European languages are another matter. Korean, Egyptian and Arabic, together with Polynesian and Native American languages, seem to me in a similar level of difficulty, which is to learn a language which has an alphabet, and that is not in anyway related with the Indo-European languages.

Worst of all is Chinese, because is a tonal language, it is written with ideograms, and has no point in contact at all with western culture.

Pinguin

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 22:29
Originally posted by pekau

Yeah, I am Korean... and the grammar order and verb is quite confusing... (Though I am improving, according to others) I am taking French, and it's ok... but this masculine and feminine is so confusing!!! My teacher told me that there's no rule to determine whether the word's masculine or feminine... is that true?

Originally posted by Knights

Yes that's pretty much true, except once it is in context or conjugated. I find the whole masculine/feminine thing illogical. I mean come on, rocks, rivers and everything inanimate has no gender. It's silly with say a cat (le chat - masculine), but there's female cats too! Tongue

Well, the male/female thing is not very logical but, at least in Spanish, the rule is simple. If an object ends in "a" is female, but if ends in "o" is male. Yes, there are exceptions, but with that almost all the cases are covered. The male/female distinction in objects got nothing to do with sexuality at all. Nobody would believe a rock is sexy LOL 

That way, the door (La Puerta) is female and a shoe (El Zapato) is male. Quite simple for us, but I agree, it is not very logical. But impossible to change after thousand of years making the same mistake. Remember that the male/female thing is common to all Romance languages.

I guess, no language is free of illogical things, but those problems are only discovered by foreigners. People that speak the language from childhood simply don't see the problem.

Pinguin

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 22:42
Originally posted by pinguin

Well, the male/female thing is not very logical but, at least in Spanish, the rule is simple. If an object ends in "a" is female, but if ends in "o" is male. Yes, there are exceptions, but with that almost all the cases are covered. The male/female distinction in objects got nothing to do with sexuality at all. Nobody would believe a rock is sexy LOL 

That way, the door (La Puerta) is female and a shoe (El Zapato) is male. Quite simple for us, but I agree, it is not very logical. But impossible to change after thousand of years making the same mistake. Remember that the male/female thing is common to all Romance languages.

I guess, no language is free of illogical things, but those problems are only discovered by foreigners. People that speak the language from childhood simply don't see the problem.

Pinguin

Great Post Clap
Yeh in French you can determine the gender of a word by the ending in a lot of cases .eg. blanc (m) blanche (f) But the Spanish idea looks easier. I have not studied the other Romantic languages before but I would imagine they are similar.
Your last paragraph is very true. I see all the things others point out as exceptions, problems and plain crazy things within English as normal lingo.
Oh. About the rocks. You never know...some people Tongue

- Knights -

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 22:45
Originally posted by King John

What I found in Latin was the ability to think about a language. That is when I learned latin my command of English grammar improved as did my ability to learn other languages because I had acquired a way to think about the languages I was learning.

latin is probably one of the most useful languages to have a knowledge of for the reason stated above.

Definatly, a lot of Western Linguistics originates from it. I love Latin as a language despite its almost non-existence as a primary language, it is a beautiful language that has influenced the world monumentally.

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 08:51
Egyptian?!! Do you mean ancient Egyptian language?

-------------

Posted By: Goban
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 10:26
Irish (Gaeilge) is difficult for me. I can speak a little bit but I am far from reading or writing anything...

-------------
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 10:33
i think english and many of the other languages that uses latin alphabets are easy to learn, arabic is difficult compared to english, but for me i guess the chinese/japanese/korian/thai/indians are difficult to learn. but then i wont know till i at least try to learn them.
:D:

-------------

Posted By: Dan Carkner
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 12:23
I think languages with an alphabet would be easier to learn than ones like Chinese or Japanese.  (For someone who grew up with alphabets I mean.)

Posted By: The_Jackal_God
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 22:23
non certus lingua anglorum super grammaticum latinae constricta.

just trying that for fun. anyways, i recently heard that french is germans speaking latin. this is all in response to the claim that english grammar is based on latin.

while many things we share in common, that has rather to do with the common antecedant of indo-european. english grammar derives, rather, from germanic (germanic, not german).

a simple example explaining:

it's me. (demonstrative + 3rd person + accusative)
c'est moi. (" " + " " + " ")
[insert german, i know it follows this pattern, but don't know the specific wording]

soy yo. (1st person + nominative)
sono io, etc

on difficulty of languages

amharic (ethiopian) is ridiculously difficult. in their script, every letter has 7 variations, depending on which vowels it is connected to. i.e. ha, hee, hay, ho, hu, heh, and h-. 7 x 29 = too many letters. i am sketchy on the grammar, but i believe verbs have genders while nouns and adjectives do not.

so

dehna neh?  - how are you (lit. are you well/esta' bien/va bene?) [to a male]

and dehna nesh? [same, to a female]

also, i found the Korean alphabet to be relatively simple, and perhaps the easier of the oriental languages.

vietnamese is also very difficult because the emphasis tone plays in conveying various meanings for the same sound.

Date Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 10:18
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Egyptian?!! Do you mean ancient Egyptian language?

I don't know if that's what he mean, but Coptic language is still in use by the Egyptian Coptic Church. And that's the language of ancient Egyptians.

Pinguin

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 14:33
Chinese would be the most difficult, for reaons already mentioned.

-------------

Posted By: Maziar
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 15:33
I think it depends on which mother tangue we speak. For me as Iranian is Arabic easier to learn than Chines. For a Chines is Korean easier than Arabic.

-------------

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 17:17

Well, it depends from which mother language one comes from. Mine is Spanish so I can understand most of what is written in Latin. Besides, when I saw "The Passion" of Gibson, and I listened those Romans speaking latin, I could follow them without much effort :)

For me, the easiest languages are Portuguese, Italian and French in that order. English is the non-Latin language more easy to learn. All the rest are a lot more difficult but European languages like German and Russian seem relatively accessible for me.

Non-European languages are another matter. Korean, Egyptian and Arabic, together with Polynesian and Native American languages, seem to me in a similar level of difficulty, which is to learn a language which has an alphabet, and that is not in anyway related with the Indo-European languages.

Worst of all is Chinese, because is a tonal language, it is written with ideograms, and has no point in contact at all with western culture.

Pinguin

Agree point by point, i can't say it better Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 23:11
Originally posted by Ikki

Pinguin

Agree point by point, i can't say it better

Point taken. I guess my question was too general.

-------------

Join us.

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 09:21
From what I've heard (and even my own personal experience), the hardest language to learn is Hungarian. Granted, the alphabet is easy since it's the latin one. But the vocabulary doesn't resemble any other language (even Finnish), the pronounciation is tricky and the grammar is exceedingly complicated.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Date Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 23:14

One of my friend, the smartest kid I ever seen, is an Hungarian. I didn't quite believe him saying that Hungarian is the hardest language to learn, since he has some obsession with Hungarian pride thingy... but who knows.

-------------

Join us.

Posted By: Suren
Date Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 07:19
Chinese is the most difficult language. Egyptians speak arabic. 

-------------
Anfører

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 09:14
I dont really think there is a most difficult language. It all depends how different the language you are learning from the one you know.

I've heard North American Indian Languages can be the very difficult.

SE Asia and East Asian languages are tonal, varying from 4-6 tones. These can be very difficult if you are from a non--tonal background. But it's not so difficult to learn a different tonal language if you speak one aready. The 4 tones of Chinese are not so hard to learn if you speak the six tones of Lao.

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Posted By: DocStaph
Date Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 23:09

It would be Pashtoo

-------------
Pregnancy is a Death Sentence to an Afghan Woman!

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 23:56
Originally posted by sirius99

Chinese is the most difficult language. Egyptians speak arabic. 

Yes, but Coptic schollars speak Coptic, which is Ancient Egyptian.

Pinguin

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 15:17
Like has already been pointed out, it depends entirely upon what your native tongue is. Studying a language related to your own is always easier than studying one that is so remote it doesn't even share the same alphabet or sentence structure.

As a Norwegian I suppose I'm favourably disposed for learning English, though it's been more like a natural process of assimilation than one of teaching. I've also studied Spanish for three years, which while harder than English I also found quite agreeable. French I studied last summer on my own, and I must say it's a fair bit harder than Spanish, since there is far less grammatical consistency and a pronounciation that is awkward for one used to rolling his r's. Latin, which I studied for one semester at university, is much harder than both Spanish and French, in fact it didn't really strike me how easy Spanish was until I tried to do Latin.

One a side note, I heard one linguist say Dutch would be the easiest language for a Norwegian to learn, maybe I'll check up on that.

-------------

Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 15:53
I have heard its Magyar, followed by Estonian...this is coming from a professor I had who is fluent in 7-8 languages

-------------

Posted By: Roberts
Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 15:54
I have heard that the hardest languages to learn from Indo-European are Baltic ones - Latvian and Lithuanian, due to very complex grammar and they both are mutually unintelligible, because of different influences from Finnic, Germanic and Slavic.

-------------

Posted By: TheDiplomat
Date Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 06:31
Originally posted by axeman

I have heard that the hardest languages to learn from Indo-European are Baltic ones - Latvian and Lithuanian, due to very complex grammar and they both are mutually unintelligible, because of different influences from Finnic, Germanic and Slavic.

For me learning Latvian is much harder than English and German due to verb conjugations, long vowels, and complex cases of nouns. But on the other hand, it seems easier than Russian because of latin alphabet, which is also familiar for a Turkish guy.

-------------
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Posted By: ataman
Date Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 12:14
The most difficult language? It is of course foreign one Wink

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 15:27
Originally posted by ataman

The most difficult language? It is of course foreign one Wink

Ah... tricky!Wink

-------------

Join us.

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 15:28

Although I think your first language may be the hardest to learn, technically speaking. It's hard to learn a language when you could not speak any other language in the first place. Ah ha, got you there.Big%20smile

-------------

Join us.

Posted By: ataman
Date Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 09:00

Although I think your first language may be the hardest to learn, technically speaking. It's hard to learn a language when you could not speak any other language in the first place. Ah ha, got you there.Big%20smile

Well, I've learnt my native language much faster than English one. And I can say that opposite to English language I know my native language perfectly Smile

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 12:26
Originally posted by ataman

Well, I've learnt my native language much faster than English one. And I can say that opposite to English language I know my native language perfectly Smile

How? Ho long did it take for you to learn your first language? It's got to be at least over 7 years... (Assuming that you are exceptionally talented)

-------------

Join us.

Posted By: T. Ape
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 22:44
I am taking Japanese, and it has not been too hard for me. In fact, I had a harder time speaking Spanish than I do Japanese even though it has its own lettering system.

As such, I do not imagine other language sytems to be hard to learn either.

Posted By: Kamikaze 738
Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 15:11
I do believe that the Chinese language is the hardest of all languages but all it takes is just alot of memorization. Though learning english was pretty hard in my opinion but I nearly master the basic of it LOL

Posted By: T. Ape
Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 20:20
As a side note, Egyptian is nothing more than a dialect of Arabic.

Posted By: Tangriberdi
Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 21:23
Turkic languages may be among the most difficult ones for European learners.
Because They are agglutinative languages. They only have suffixes and these suffixes define the tenses, relations an d all other grammatical issues.

For example.If you want to ask: Are you one of those who we could not Anglicized in Turkish( the most widespread Turkic language), the approxiamte sentence turns to be only one word and it is so:
İngliz+les+tir+e+me+di+k+ler+i+miz+den+mi+siniz?
Ingiliz: English
-leş: To become
-tir:to make , to cause, to lead to
-e: can, be able
-me: not
di: past making suffix
-k: we
-ler. plural suffix
-i : a kind of linker
-miz: we, ours
-den from
-mi: question suffix
siniz: be form for you

Ingilizlestiremediklerimizden misiniz?

Meaning:
Are you one of those who we could not Anglicized?

İngliz+leş+tir+e+me+di+k+ler+i+miz+den+mi+siniz?
Word by word translation:

English become make could  we those of us from are you

Or more meaning fully :
Are you of those we could not make become English?

Oh my God How could I teach Turkish to an Englishman if I were a Language teacher. God forbid. It is horrible.
As a Turk for me it is easy but surely Turkish will be a nightmare for a westerner.

I think only those who are obsessed with mathematics or other numerical sciences  would take pleasure from learning Turkish. Because Turkish is a science on its own.
There is not so many bookworms in the world.

Posted By: barbar
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:32
I just can't believe Chinese has got 16 votes. Chinese actually is very easy language (except pronounciation and the writing). The grammatical structure is very simple. When I speak Chinese on the phone no one can guess that I'm not a native speaker (I went to Uyghur school). We used to have a Chinese teacher who majored in Uyghur language, live in Uyghur region more than thirty years, and only teached Uyghur students, and you can tell very quickly that he is a non native speaker, due to the grammatical mistakes he makes, when he speaks Uyghur Turkish.  

Turkic language is the most difficult language among the languages I know. A single verb can have more than six thousand different forms as an Uyghur linguist told me. You can express very subtle inner feelings just by changing the verb form.  

-------------
Either make a history or become a history.

Posted By: DerDoc
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 14:12
I think that languages of native American tribes, such as the language of the Navajos, are among the most difficult languages to learn. It alöways depends on what language you learn, since languages related to one's mother-tongue are always easy to learn.

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 17:18
Originally posted by barbar

Turkic language is the most difficult language among the languages I know. A single verb can have more than six thousand different forms as an Uyghur linguist told me. You can express very subtle inner feelings just by changing the verb form.   
Well, in theory a Scandinavian or Germanic noun can be thousands of letters long, even though you hardly encounter that on an everyday basis. I really doubt that many forms are used.

As for hardest, I don't know. Of those I've tried, Finnish was the worst, the grammar was disastrous. Chinese is doable, but some sounds are really really hard. Japanese is comparably easy.

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 15:03

I just can't believe Chinese has got 16 votes. Chinese actually is very easy language (except pronounciation and the writing).
Hah!

That's why I picked it.

(I know hardly anything about Korean.)

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 11:17
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Well, in theory a Scandinavian or Germanic noun can be thousands of letters long, even though you hardly encounter that on an everyday basis. I really doubt that many forms are used.

As for hardest, I don't know. Of those I've tried, Finnish was the worst, the grammar was disastrous. Chinese is doable, but some sounds are really really hard. Japanese is comparably easy.

Well noun formation and verb formation are two different things.  I wasn't talking about theory neither. Those different forms are the ones that areactually used. Of course some are more frequenly used, some are not.

Another thing is that the formation of the verb isn't necessarily that long to give deep meaning.  a single syllible added after the root verb also can give very subtle meaning. Turkic language is extremely rich in suffix.

For example:

Al ---- means "to take"

Here I just give some imperitive forms:

Ale --- take it.
Alinge --- please take it.
Alsila ---- please take it (with more polite way)
Alghine --- take it (asking with sincere request and a kind of affection)
Alipbaqe --- try to take it.
alipbaqqin --- just try to take it.
alsangchu --- take it (with annoyance after several times of request)
aliwer --- take as you want.
almamsen --- don't worry to take it. (with reproach) 

I can go on and on. Remember this is only the imperitive form. Wink

-------------

Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 13:44
I have heard Magyar and Estonian languages are the hardest (thus the Finno-Ugric group)

8 people voted for English Confused

-------------

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 16:28
i heard it was an extinct caucasian language which contained no vowels! And the only man who managed to learn and speak that language was a Turkish (it is in guieness world records book).

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Date Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 16:16
Originally posted by T. Ape

As a side note, Egyptian is nothing more than a dialect of Arabic.
What do you mean by 'Egyptian'?

-------------

Posted By: Killabee
Date Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 17:31
Chinese is the hardest language? Well, if you want to speak like a news broadcaster and be able to read the newspaper and novel, Yes it is very difficult since you need to learn and memorize at least 10000 characters.

If you only want to learn enough for daily conversation, it is relatively easy. Chinese (Mandarin) only has four tones and the grammatical structure is same as English, which is SVO.

I have seen many European/American who can speak Beijing Style Chinese(Mandarin) fluently as if they were born there.

Posted By: LuckyNomad
Date Posted: 14-May-2007 at 00:07

The hardest language depends upon who you are.

For me, Japanese wasn't all that hard and Korean has been a total breeze. Korean and Japanese are actually very easy in a way because you only need one word to make a proper sentence. Also, Korean has the easiest writing system in the world. Both Japanese and Korean follow a Vowel-Consenant-vowel-consenant rule, so they flow very easily.

Posted By: Jagiello
Date Posted: 14-May-2007 at 07:12
Polish and bulgarian are one of the hardest european languages to learn.Besides,i also think it matters where you come from and what language group youre language is.For example-Jappanese isn't that hard for a Korean as Italian to a spanish.

Posted By: Roberts
Date Posted: 23-May-2007 at 17:02
Latvian, because it is small and no one wants to learn it.

-------------

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 24-May-2007 at 17:27

I have heard that Vietnamese is very difficult due to both it's tonal structure and Vietnamerse being an isolate language that is not related to other nearby languages.

Date Posted: 25-May-2007 at 08:03

Well noun formation and verb formation are two different things.  I wasn't talking about theory neither. Those different forms are the ones that areactually used. Of course some are more frequenly used, some are not.

Another thing is that the formation of the verb isn't necessarily that long to give deep meaning.  a single syllible added after the root verb also can give very subtle meaning. Turkic language is extremely rich in suffix.

For example:

Al ---- means "to take"

Here I just give some imperitive forms:

Ale --- take it.
Alinge --- please take it.
Alsila ---- please take it (with more polite way)
Alghine --- take it (asking with sincere request and a kind of affection)
Alipbaqe --- try to take it.
alipbaqqin --- just try to take it.
alsangchu --- take it (with annoyance after several times of request)
aliwer --- take as you want.
almamsen --- don't worry to take it. (with reproach) 

I can go on and on. Remember this is only the imperitive form. Wink

The fact that Turkish does that with a single word is actually immaterial. For each line of your statement above you need to get the correct meaning in English a different phrase (including the intonation as part of the phrase, since changes in intonation affect meaning in English more than any other language I'm aware of except Chinese and Norwegian).

It's just as hard to learn all those phrases in English as it is to learn the different verb forms (which are actually just condensed phrases) in Turkish.

In fact, what students of English seem to have the hardest time with is (a) distinguishing between phrasal verbs[1] and (b) getting the intonation (the shifts in pitch) right.

On the other hand, since English has so many variants and so many 'native' speakers with different accents/dialects, natural English speakers find it easy to get the intended meaning in spite of mistakes, which in one way makes the language 'easy to learn'.

[1] E.g. 'come to', 'come along', 'come round', 'come over', 'come by', 'come up', 'come down', 'come in'.... all of which have meanings that have nothing to do with motion (as in 'come here')

-------------

Date Posted: 25-May-2007 at 10:29

Originally posted by mamikon

I have heard Magyar and Estonian languages are the hardest (thus the Finno-Ugric group)

8 people voted for English Confused
Maybe because even the English find it hard to speak/write correct English. It's too wasy in English to get away with incorrect English.

Apart from that what makes English difficult for most people is the reliance on pitch and intonation to convey meaning. (Granted it's not the only language that does that.)

The simple sentence "You went to Paris yesterday" depending on intonation can mean
"I thought it was someone else who went to Paris yesterday"
"You really hate Paris: why did you go there?"
"So you did go like you said you would"
"So you went even after saying you would never go"
"So you weren't already in Paris the day before yesterday?"
"I thought you were going somewhere else"
"I thought you were planning to stay here"
I thought you were going earlier (or later) than that"
and probably more things than that.

It's not easy for a non-native speaker to get them all right.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 07:54
Originally posted by gcle2003

The simple sentence "You went to Paris yesterday" depending on intonation can mean

I wonder if native speakers can get them right either. It's nothing but confusion. Intonation is common to every language.  Anyway, you don't give any of those meanings when you right them down without adding other sentenses, do you?

-------------

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:55

Same as in Scandinavian then.

Date Posted: 29-May-2007 at 08:24

Same as in Scandinavian then.

Similar, though the actual intonation patterns are different. I've found that the best non-native speakers at mastering English patterns are Norwegians.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-May-2007 at 08:34

I wonder if native speakers can get them right either. It's nothing but confusion. Intonation is common to every language. 
But in some languages it is much more complex than others, notably Chinese. After all, words are common to all languages.
 Anyway, you don't give any of those meanings when you right them down without adding other sentenses, do you?
You don't need to add any other sentences or phrases. The entire meaning can be conveyed with intonation, just using the five words I gave.

A difficulty many English speakers with only a limited acquaintance with foreign languages is that they try to use intonation the same way as they normally would, and don't understand why they're not understood.

In French, especially it seems to my ear in Paris, the sentence 'Tu es allé à Paris hier' means nothing much more than the simple statement that you went to Paris yesterday, French being comparatively flat tonally.

Otherwise you have to construct something like 'C'était hier que tu es allé à Paris, non?'.

Of course you CAN say 'it was yesterday that you went to Paris, no?', but you wouldn't naturally do so. It makes you sound like a policeman questioning a suspect.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 18:28
All and none. Of this list I just speak English and know some Coptic, but I speak several others. Langauages are difficult depending on many factors. For instance, for me, learning any Latin language is relativelly easy, since I speak Catalan, but learning Tatar (I study it) is very difficult, but probably a Turk wouln'd say so.
Another important point is possibility of practising the language. English is "easy" since you can listen, speak and write anytime, but Cornish wouldn'd so "easy" since it is almost impossible to come across a Cornish speaker on any street of the world (even in Cornwall would be difficult!)

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Sep-2007 at 02:12
I'm CornishSmile.  really, but unfortunately an immigrant (of several generations) and not a native speaker (of course).  And as to running across a Cornish speaker would be nearly impossible, even in Penzance!  Cornish technically went extinct in either the late 19th century or early 20th (I know that last speaker of Manx died in the 1950s and it died before Manx).  There have been attempts at resurrection, and circa 300 people are claimed to be fluent.  Hopefully soon it will be once more alive and well, and with native speakers on the way! 
     The Brittanic languages (Breton, Cornish and Welsh) would be difficult due to the mutations (similar to Tolkien's Sindarin), but I think that the Amerindian languages would be very difficult.  They have features similar to the exceptionally long Turkish words that were demonstrated earlier.  As for the most difficult Germanic language, grammatically speaking, would be Icelandic or Faroese (both close to ON which was highly inflected).  Hardest IE language, I'm not sure.   Icelandic might rank in there, but Russian's rich morphology would make it a contender.  Also, Shughni, a dialect of Persian (though I am told that it is a very ancient dialect, and a native speaker of it told me it was Old Persian) spoken in Tajikistan (near the Afghani border) also is a very difficult language.  But, I would say that the many 'indigenous' languages to many areas are the hardest.  Some of the African tribal languages with their clicks would be a real pain!!

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 08:26
Originally posted by Olme

And as to running across a Cornish speaker would be nearly impossible, even in Penzance!  Cornish technically went extinct in either the late 19th century or early 20th (I know that last speaker of Manx died in the 1950s and it died before Manx). 

I think the confusion regarding Cornish is because there are two dates given for its extinction.

- Death of the last known monolingual Cornish speaker (Molly the Fisherwoman)   1780s
- Deaths of the last speakers who had varying degree of fluency in the language    1890-1910

The continuity of Cornish,  can be looked at two ways.  There was an academic effort  to preserve grammar and vocabulary by studying both early written sources and interviewing the last speakers.  The strongest effort, however, occurred after the deaths of the last people speaking Cornish.

So... the break was relatively small and it was not a clear break.  Exact pronunication and subtle vocabulary was lost, but alot of the real language was preserved.  

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 13:44
Nice post Cryptic, and thanks for the dates.  I didn't have anything on me but I was pretty sure that those were ball-park numbers (which is not preferable).  However, I wouldn't say that there are two dates for its extinction, since the death of the last monolingual speaker doesn't signify extinction.  For example, I don't think that there are many minority languages (that are prominent) in which the speakers aren't bilingual.  Frisian isn't extinct, but I would say that over 99 percent of the native speakers of it also speak Dutch.  Along with Welsh, which isn't exctinct, they all speak English.  So while the dates given are important, there should only be one that is considered as the 'extinction' date. 

The points regarding the break are very goodThumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 14:30

However, I wouldn't say that there are two dates for its extinction, since the death of the last monolingual speaker doesn't signify extinction. 
I agree.  The later dates 1890-1910 should be used.

For example, I don't think that there are many minority languages (that are prominent) in which the speakers aren't bilingual.  Frisian isn't extinct, but I would say that over 99 percent of the native speakers of it also speak Dutch.  Along with Welsh, which isn't exctinct, they all speak English. 
I agree, except with the reference to Welsh.  I believe that there are still several thousand  monolingual Welsh speakers in the North of Wales.  I guess that this is a testimony to their determination and stubborness.

Here in the USA, my friend who worked for the Census Bureau told me that elderly monolingual Native Americans in Oklahoma Ozarks were rare, but not unheard of in the 1998 census.    My guess is that the Navajo / Hopi Reservation is home to the last large number of indigenous monolinguals in the USA.  

Well..... Louisiana might have very small numbers of Cajun / Creole French  monolinguals.   That would leave Native Hawaiian.  One of the Islands in the chain is a community land trust only for certain Native Hawiians.   If there are any monolinguals left, they might be there.  

Date Posted: 11-Sep-2007 at 19:11

Yeah, Welsh was a bad example.  I love it that there are actually monolingual speakers of minority languages.  Much praise and hale the stubborness of the Welsh!

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Oct-2007 at 23:02
In Louisiana, there were still quite a few monolingual French speakers left until about 30 years ago. This has now receded significantly so that in the next few years all of those who only spoke French will have probably died off. Bilingualism is still hanging on, however, but for how long is anybody's guess. The most fluent speakers are mostly those over 40, the younger people knowing either none or some bits and pieces of the language, although there are a few insignificant exceptions as there are  in all statistics.

Posted By: Darius of Parsa
Date Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 05:04
The Hungarian language is probably the hardest language to learn. It is the same difficulty, if not harder, than Chinese or Japanese.

-------------
What is the officer problem?

Posted By: SuN.
Date Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 17:54
Cant we establish some scientific methofd to establish which language is the easiest to learn? We have people from all languages. Some brainstorming could certainly produce something.

Posted By: Dynbertawe
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 11:43
Originally posted by Cryptic

However, I wouldn't say that there are two dates for its extinction, since the death of the last monolingual speaker doesn't signify extinction. 
I agree.  The later dates 1890-1910 should be used.

For example, I don't think that there are many minority languages (that are prominent) in which the speakers aren't bilingual.  Frisian isn't extinct, but I would say that over 99 percent of the native speakers of it also speak Dutch.  Along with Welsh, which isn't exctinct, they all speak English. 
I agree, except with the reference to Welsh.  I believe that there are still several thousand  monolingual Welsh speakers in the North of Wales.  I guess that this is a testimony to their determination and stubborness.

Yes, we are stubborn old buggers!! The monoglots live in the north and west, they're usually the very old or the pre-school population.

The secret about learning one of the Celtic languages or any other language for that matter is to understand how they work, no language is really difficult to learn, I`d rather call them challenging!

Posted By: Odin
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 14:24
Originally posted by Reginmund

Like has already been pointed out, it depends entirely upon what your native tongue is. Studying a language related to your own is always easier than studying one that is so remote it doesn't even share the same alphabet or sentence structure.

As a Norwegian I suppose I'm favourably disposed for learning English, though it's been more like a natural process of assimilation than one of teaching. I've also studied Spanish for three years, which while harder than English I also found quite agreeable. French I studied last summer on my own, and I must say it's a fair bit harder than Spanish, since there is far less grammatical consistency and a pronounciation that is awkward for one used to rolling his r's. Latin, which I studied for one semester at university, is much harder than both Spanish and French, in fact it didn't really strike me how easy Spanish was until I tried to do Latin.

One a side note, I heard one linguist say Dutch would be the easiest language for a Norwegian to learn, maybe I'll check up on that.

I've heard that the continental Scandinavian languages are fairly easy for English speakers to learn because they are all Germanic languages and all lost a lot of the grammatical word endings during the Middle Ages.. The main differences are that the Scandinavian languages still have grammatical gender and Norwegian and Swedish have pitch accent (words have a rising or falling tone). I am of Norwegian ancestry so I have been trying to learn Norwegian (both Bokmal and NyNorsk versions)

Does anyone know any good on-line sites for learning Norwegian? I'd appreciate some good links.

Tusen Takk. Smile

-------------
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 14:34

I wonder if native speakers can get them right either. It's nothing but confusion. Intonation is common to every language. 
But in some languages it is much more complex than others, notably Chinese. After all, words are common to all languages.
 Anyway, you don't give any of those meanings when you right them down without adding other sentenses, do you?
You don't need to add any other sentences or phrases. The entire meaning can be conveyed with intonation, just using the five words I gave.

A difficulty many English speakers with only a limited acquaintance with foreign languages is that they try to use intonation the same way as they normally would, and don't understand why they're not understood.

In French, especially it seems to my ear in Paris, the sentence 'Tu es all� � Paris hier' means nothing much more than the simple statement that you went to Paris yesterday, French being comparatively flat tonally.

Otherwise you have to construct something like 'C'�tait hier que tu es all� � Paris, non?'.

Of course you CAN say 'it was yesterday that you went to Paris, no?', but you wouldn't naturally do so. It makes you sound like a policeman questioning a suspect.

Quoted for truth! Using intonation to express meaning ("YOU went to the park?" and "you went to the PARK?") is so natural to me that it's hard for me to grasp that it doesn't appy to other languages. Confused

-------------
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee

Date Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 14:55
Many Native American languages are extremely difficult for English speakers because they tend to be agglutinative to the extreme, with a single word making up a whole sentence.

The native language of my area, The Anishinaabe language of the Chippewa is an excellent example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anishinaabe_language - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anishinaabe_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojibwe_phonology - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojibwe_phonology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojibwe_grammar - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojibwe_grammar

-------------

-Arnold J. Toynbee

Posted By: Dynbertawe
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 16:03
Originally posted by Odin

In French, especially it seems to my ear in Paris, the sentence 'Tu es all� � Paris hier' means nothing much more than the simple statement that you went to Paris yesterday, French being comparatively flat tonally.

Otherwise you have to construct something like 'C'�tait hier que tu es all� � Paris, non?'.

Quoted for truth! Using intonation to express meaning ("YOU went to the park?" and "you went to the PARK?") is so natural to me that it's hard for me to grasp that it doesn't appy to other languages. Confused

Funny you were talking about intonation, I was talking to one of my friends about this. In welsh, we don't have to do this, instead we just move the words around for emphasis.

YOU went to the park - CHI wedi mynd i'r parc?

You went to the PARK - Y PARC chi wedi mynd i?

Welsh is very flexible!

Posted By: Slayertplsko
Date Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 16:11
What I'll never understand is why so many people voted English!Big%20smile

As for the hardest, I don't really know, but of those I tried, Arabic was the most difficult.
Anyway, I voted for Egyptian - it's an extinct language and pretty archaic one.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com