Print Page | Close Window

Cyrus the Great vs Alexander

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mesopotamia, Near East and Greater Iran
Forum Discription: Babylon, Egypt, Persia and other civilizations of the Near East from ancient times to 600s AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=169
Printed Date: 24-Apr-2024 at 12:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cyrus the Great vs Alexander
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Cyrus the Great vs Alexander
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 03:15
Let me tell you something, many people find Alexander(or battle of Marathon)the first domination of west over east and recognize him as the greatest general.But wai, that guy(Alexander) was homosexual and he did not invade the world.He just invaded one empire(Persian) that was already decayed from within. And they call this idiot "the Great".The great what? The greatest ego of all time, that's what. He believed that if he slaughtered his way to the edge of the world, there he would meet God, his father, and they would be united in unimaginable power. He didn't make it. 4th century B.C.
In contrast Cyrus the Great invaded more than 20 empires at the height of their power. He beated Spartans who helped Croesus, the Athenians who helped the Ionians of the Lydian empire, he babylonians, the Egyptians,the MEdians. If he was not the greatest war leader and peace giver ever then who is?????????????? The Jews called him nominated by God and the greeks called him the law giver.The greeks knew him as their master and made such a mythic story about his life making him seem alike one of their mythic heros.In addition, he believed in one god and was Zoroastrian while Alexander was a Pagan.

Replies:
Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 03:10

Originally posted by jamshidi_f

Let me tell you something, many people find Alexander(or battle of Marathon)the first domination of west over east and recognize him as the greatest general.But wai, that guy(Alexander) was homosexual and he did not invade the world.He just invaded one empire(Persian) that was already decayed from within. And they call this idiot "the Great".The great what? The greatest ego of all time, that's what. He believed that if he slaughtered his way to the edge of the world, there he would meet God, his father, and they would be united in unimaginable power. He didn't make it. 4th century B.C.
In contrast Cyrus the Great invaded more than 20 empires at the height of their power. He beated Spartans who helped Croesus, the Athenians who helped the Ionians of the Lydian empire, he babylonians, the Egyptians,the MEdians. If he was not the greatest war leader and peace giver ever then who is?????????????? The Jews called him nominated by God and the greeks called him the law giver.The greeks knew him as their master and made such a mythic story about his life making him seem alike one of their mythic heros.In addition, he believed in one god and was Zoroastrian while Alexander was a Pagan.

Why does it matter that Alexander was homosexual? Sexual preference has nothing to do with being a general. Oh sorry, maybe he thought the Persian soldiers were cute and decided to go a little easier on them. Just trying to make sense out of a useless comment.

Now, im not saying that Alexander was this great guy who should be praised, but he was a damn good general. I agree with you in that he was arrogant, i wont argue that. The Persian Empire was going through tough times when he invaded, but their forces still severely outnumbered the Greeks, so how can you find an excuse for that?

And you mention Cyrus conquered 20 empires at the height of their power. Can you tell me which empires, because as far as i know there werent even 20 empires in the world at that time, let alone in that region. 20 countries would make a lot more sense, but do you seriously think that Cyrus conquering tiny nations such as Armenia is so much more glorious than Alexander doing the same thing? You mention Alexander not invading the world...Alexander's empire was actually slightly larger in land mass than Cyrus's. Cyrus outnumbered virtually every army he faced by rediculous figures. Alexander was the exact opposite. Moreover, Alexander was a kid while Cyrus was old enough to be his dad.

And you mentioned Cyrus was Zoroastrian while Alexander was a Pagan. Your point? Paganism is just as much a religion as Zoroastrian is. I dont see a point in that comment.

Im not trying to take anything away from Cyrus. He was a great general in his own right. Either side can be argued, but some of the points you make have nothing to do with the topic (such as sexual and religious preference). But you simply cannot say Cyrus is the outright better general and not give any credit to Alexander.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 12:19
Thanks a lot for your comments..........

-------------

Posted By: Kian_the_great
Date Posted: 25-Dec-2005 at 20:58

Cyrus V.S Alexander

First of all Cyrus conquered assyrians and babylonians ,they were powerful for the record,

But comparing Cyrus and Alexander is pointless, Cyrus freed people, while alexander burnt perspolis down, slaughtering masses,

Alexander was a great military general,Cyrus was a better politician

Cyrus was wise, Alexander was emotional

Alexanders Empire broke up a year after his conquests, so technically he never had a country as big as Cambyses had, the country devided quickly into states...

Alexander is a good Millitary general, not a wise person

-------------
Balian of Ibelin: What is Jerusalem worth?
Saladin: Nothing.
Saladin: Everything!

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 25-Dec-2005 at 22:15
ArmenianSurvival, thanks, you saved me writing a very similiar post.

Kian_the_great wrote:

"But comparing Cyrus and Alexander is pointless, Cyrus freed people, while alexander burnt perspolis down, slaughtering masses,"
Alexander, while i dont like all that he did, only gave to persia what persia had already done to greece, eye for a eye. Burn athens = burn perspolis.

I can imagine alexander freed many nations from the persian yoke aswell.

Date Posted: 26-Dec-2005 at 22:55
dude, burn athens and burn perspolis, Athens was abandoned by that time, perspolis wasn't, and athens was burnt cause ionians burnt a persian city before.athens is still a city while perspolis is gone...

-------------

Posted By: PrznKonectoid
Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 00:21

Dude Herodotus's account of the Persian wars is SO fake. He makes Persians look like idiots, and everyone accepts his BS

Same with Alexander. The Greeks wrote history, so they make him so great leader, a great patriarch. He was a murderer. Alexander was to Persians what Hitler was to Jews. I cant believe westerners make a movie glorfying him, they might as well make a movie about how "great" Hitler was.

And ALexander probably didn't make the bulk of his military decisions. His generals did. It was only recorded as his, so now we think he is some great guy. But Cyrus didn't just conquer, he administrated, and respected the cultures in his empire. Alexander mocked and killed people.

And WTF Armenian survival, Cyrus didn't outnumber every army he faced?? The Lydians were far larger, as were the Babylonians. And when you combine his enemies they were massively larger then his army which conquered them all. And Alexander's empire might have been larger. But only cuz he only had to conquer one massive empire. Cyrus had to conquer all these individual states.

And Alexander might have been outnumbered, but the corruption within the Persian empire made administration virtually non-existant. So even though they had more forces, they couldn't mobilize all of them.

And you gotta remember that Cyrus knew how to control his peoples. He gave the Babylonians what they wanted. And Alexander tried to enforce his hellenistic BS on every subject in his empire. Greek statues from his era survive in Iran.

Seriously, if u call Alexander great, you might as well call Hitler, the Great. He was an evil bastard who killed so many Jews, but he was a strong leader and intelligent, much  more so than Alexander. And what pisses me off even more is that Alexander tried to marry a Persian woman. If he was alive and I saw him lay a finger on an Iranian woman I'd go beat his homo-ass

-------------
Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com - http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 12:07
Kian_the_great wrote:
"dude, burn athens and burn perspolis, Athens was abandoned by that time, perspolis wasn't,"
First im not saying it was right. What i am saying, it was revenge and there was reason in it, right or wrong is a matter of opinion. Xerxes palace got special treatment, why would you think that was?

Athenians got out after seeing what the persians already did to many towns and villages on their way in. Would of thought that was the obvoius thing to do, why the citizens of persepolis hang around, i dont know.

"and athens was burnt cause ionians burnt a persian city before.athens is still a city while perspolis is gone..."
So you rationalise the burning of athens, its acropolis and many other sacred santuaries for revenge on the ionians, but cant see this cycle of revenge return back on the persian.

athens has come back many times in history, persepolis simply didnt.

"Archaeologists have shown that the palace at Persepolis was not completely destroyed (there was human occupation after the fire) and that several buildings received a special treatment from the arsonists. For example, the http://www.livius.org/a/iran/persepolis/xerxes/palace.html - palace of Xerxes was damaged more severely than that of Darius. It can also be shown that the fire started in the http://www.livius.org/a/iran/persepolis/apadana/apadana.html - Apadana and the http://www.livius.org/a/iran/persepolis/treasury/treasury.html - Treasury , and that not all precious objects had been removed." http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander10.html -

Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 12:21

what is your point dude? history is not black and white,

but you can find chapters where they are lighter or darker, and

Alexander's had more dark, he was a good millitary leader, not a wise person,

he made many mistakes, and well he is hated by iranian nationalists as much as loved by greek ones,

i still cannot see your point

-------------

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 15:53

There are many theories on why Macedonians attacked Achamenids where they knew they were clearly considered to be the under dog. I doubt that the real reason was to get revenge for burning of Athens 200 years earlier. Most people probably didn't even remember that. It would be like toady's American or Mexican being concerned with what happened at the alamo today. To top that Alexander was not really Greek or at least Athenian hard to believe that he was very concerned with history of Athens. In reality Achamenid's time was up. Persians had too much of money and small but growing group of people surrounding them lived in practical poverty and did not have much to lose. There was a reason that many Greek tools job as mercenaries and other functions in the Persian Army they needed the money to survive, and military was the biggest employer of that time. If it was not Macedonians it would been some other group very soon

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 17:11
Yes, I think the concept of him taking revenge is romantic narration.

-------------

Posted By: flyingzone
Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 17:47
Originally posted by PrznKonectoid

If he was alive and I saw him lay a finger on an Iranian woman I'd go beat his homo-ass

Someone has to bring this up, so let that person be me: I don't think homophobic remarks should be tolerated in this forum.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 17:57

I agree. I apologise for not acting on it, I didnt see it as I just scanned the post for egenral tone.

PrznKonectoid: please refrain from making bigoted statements and remarks, consider this as an informal warning.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 21:57
To make another example of alex' ruthlessness and vengeful ways can i point to the fate of the Branchidae inside Sogdiana. Thse people, a hereditary priestly group that were ment to protect Didyma turned over the temple to xerxes, who plundered and burnt it down (479BC), in return for their saftey. Such a sacrilegie ment, they had to leave Ionia for their safty to be garrantued.

Move foward around 150 years, they came out to greet alexander's army speaking greek, holding olive branches and submited their city to him. What he did next, was a crime; he wiped out everyone one of them (kids and all) and the city was completety destroyed (327BC). A fate worse than persopolis and to greeks not persians.

PBS has a narrative of this event
here

There is nothing romantic about this revenge or any other, nor is this episode glorified hellenic nationalism. It tells you he was ruthless and unforgiving. But their was something needing forgiving in the first place.  Importantly it also is a good example of the revenge factor in his war within the greater context of the aggresion and insults perpertrated by xerxes.

So it isnt romantic to think that revenge is a part of the motive in persopolis, nor is it safe to assume that alexander didnt care for what happened earlier to greece.

Date Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 22:20
"i still cannot see your point"
You pick the best bits of one of your best ruler's and the compare it to the worse bits of one of the best generals (but prematurly dead rulers) of the greeks.

You also take alexendar's actions in complete isolation to the greater conflict and crimes that had being waged by both sides, and ignore the fact that it was originaly bought about by persian expansion.

Should i compare our the great statesman pericles to master bad guy of the greeks xerxes? is that a fair comparison?.

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 03:09

And lets not forget that Cyrus trained his own men for battle against empires of Babylon, Media, Lydia etc. Whilst Alexander inherited a fully organized well trained army from his father.

Seconed, Athens today is now a thriving capital of Europe. Persepolis is nothing but old ruins.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 10:11

You pick the best bits of one of your best ruler's and the compare it to the worse bits of one of the best generals (but prematurly dead rulers) of the greeks.

You also take alexendar's actions in complete isolation to the greater conflict and crimes that had being waged by both sides, and ignore the fact that it was originaly bought about by persian expansion.

Should i compare our the great statesman pericles to master bad guy of the greeks xerxes? is that a fair comparison?.

What good did Alexander do? give me 3,

Dude,Faeghi your my savior man

-------------

Posted By: Iranian41ife
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 12:54

first of all, i just want to say one thing: ALEXANDER WAS NOT GREEK! HE WAS MACEDONIAN! the greeks thought of the macedonians as barbarians just like they thought any other non greek ethnicity was barbaric.

alexander, in my opinion, was no different than genghi khan.  infact, they were the exact same, both brutal, both heartless, and both great generals.  alexander was no doubt the greatest general of his time. 

and another fact is that the greeks were the first to invent organized armies, they were the first to use strategies (instead of just hurling thousands of men at each other, like the Persians did).  they were the first to not think about numbers but more in terms of weaknesses of the enemy.  Persia, as well as all the other countries and empire for a long time did not have this, they didnt even train most of their troops (they just got peasants and gave them swords and put them in the army in times of war) and that is why alexander won those battles. an organized force will beat an larger but disorganized force everytime!

but in the end, cyrus did more for the world then alexander did, so i have to go with cyrus.

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 12:56
Originally posted by Faeghi

And lets not forget that Cyrus trained his own men for battle against empires of Babylon, Media, Lydia etc. Whilst Alexander inherited a fully organized well trained army from his father.

Seconed, Athens today is now a thriving capital of Europe. Persepolis is nothing but old ruins.

athens is not a thriving capitol of europe....lol.  and what about isfahan, shiraz, tabriz.... when athens died out for thousands of years (after the roman invasion, and even today it is no longer an important city) tabriz, isfahan, and shiraz were the centers of empires, of culture, of art, of politics! and those cities still exist!

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 19:01

Im not talking about Isfahan, Shiraz, Tabriz. Im talking about Persepolis today comparing to the revenge for Athens. Athens is a well known capital, it was the Western world's leading cultural, commercial and intellectual center, and indeed it is in the ideas and practices of ancient Athens that what we now call "Western civilization" has its origins.

-------------

Posted By: Surenas
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 19:44
What did cyrus army compose of, i heard the strengths were archers and cavalry is that true if so what were they like?

Posted By: Surenas
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 19:46
Hey is it true they're making a movie on cyrus?

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 21:33
Kian_the_great, what he did that was good, still depends from what point of view your are coming from, is this not true? You wont agree with what i think, purely becuase you see things from a typical persian perspective.

1 For the greeks, two things
He freed Ionia from persian rule. Ontop of this in the general senese, he not only fought persian agression, more importantly he ended it.

2 For the egyptians, two things
He liberated egypt from what seems like very unpopular persian control. He also creating alexandria, which mind you, went on to become a ancient centre of phillosophy and learning and now a massive city today. You see he can build cities aswell as destroy them.

3 Unique to him alone (The attempted unifying of Persia to Greece atleast from the top)
In the end, he didnt try to destroy persian culture or its people, they became an important building bloc for future growth. Had he lived longer we could of truelly judge if this experiment would of worked. get the best of what persia had and incorperate it with the best greece had, brilliant.

Since he attempted to incorperate persian culture into his own court, he was very unpopular with his own people for it. Examples include; training iranians in hoplite warfare, forced mix marriages, Proskynesis, Persian tiltles and the capital in Babylonia..
http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander15.html - Source .

Now its easy to critize someone that was ruthless and from the sounds of it, emotional and impulsive, such critisms are fair. However demonising alexander as someone who's only achievment was killing and conqering people and burning cities is unfair, inaccurate and bias. Then there is this conventianly forgeting, that persian expansion/aggression brought this on, in the first place.

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 21:43
As for athens, It is now a thriving european capital, before Greece won its independance it was not much, mainly a collection of greek speaking villages around what would of been a town or port at best. So it doesnt have a linear existance that was preserved throughout the ages, but has been rebuilt by modern greeks inspired, maybe, by their ancient history. Sames goes for sparta, not much of city even now (nor in anciant times either) but it did not exist before independance.

If the persians didnt rebuild their persoplis thats their fault, most cities have been burnt, sacked and looted yet been rebuilt.

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 22:05

Originally posted by Leonidas

To make another example of alex' ruthlessness and vengeful ways can i point to the fate of the Branchidae inside Sogdiana. Thse people, a hereditary priestly group that were ment to protect Didyma turned over the temple to xerxes, who plundered and burnt it down (479BC), in return for their saftey. Such a sacrilegie ment, they had to leave Ionia for their safty to be garrantued.

Move foward around 150 years, they came out to greet alexander's army speaking greek, holding olive branches and submited their city to him. What he did next, was a crime; he wiped out everyone one of them (kids and all) and the city was completety destroyed (327BC). A fate worse than persopolis and to greeks not persians.

PBS has a narrative of this event
here

There is nothing romantic about this revenge or any other, nor is this episode glorified hellenic nationalism. It tells you he was ruthless and unforgiving. But their was something needing forgiving in the first place.  Importantly it also is a good example of the revenge factor in his war within the greater context of the aggresion and insults perpertrated by xerxes.

So it isnt romantic to think that revenge is a part of the motive in persopolis, nor is it safe to assume that alexander didnt care for what happened earlier to greece.

This is a different subject. Like any other super power Iranians constantly muddled in Greek affair once they noticed that they exist. Even when Darius I attacked Greece he was just trying to put back in place a Greek king that was more aligned to the interest of the Iranians and some Greeks liked the idea and took side with the Persians. These people naturally would be seen as traitors to the people that were in power in Greece at that time. What do yo think Saddam would have done if you could have got his hand on the anyone that was part of US supported Iraqi opposition. Can you picture him having a nice dinner with Chalebi.

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 22:43
Miller I used it as an example of revenge and as a illustration of alexander's mentallity and intent. Therefore making a stronger case that revenge was at the very least, an important factor on why persopolis was burnt. If he thought that way with the Branchidae then it would be more easier to belive that revenge was in his mind when he sacked Persoplois. That was my logic.

By doin that i was also tieing it back to the overall context of persian aggression. Handling his actions in isolation is missing that context.

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 23:08
Originally posted by Faeghi

Im not talking about Isfahan, Shiraz, Tabriz. Im talking about Persepolis today comparing to the revenge for Athens. Athens is a well known capital, it was the Western world's leading cultural, commercial and intellectual center, and indeed it is in the ideas and practices of ancient Athens that what we now call "Western civilization" has its origins.

listen to this: persia had more than one major city, athens was a city state, the athenians had to rebuild it! the persians did no need to waste money and time to rebuild a whole city because they did not need it, they had tens of other major cities to relocate to, the athenians didnt, that is why athens was rebuilt and perspolis wasnt, it has nothing to do with victory or money or power.

Date Posted: 28-Dec-2005 at 23:14

Kian_the_great, what he did that was good, still depends from what point of view your are coming from, is this not true? You wont agree with what i think, purely becuase you see things from a typical persian perspective.

1 For the greeks, two things
He freed Ionia from persian rule. Ontop of this in the general senese, he not only fought persian agression, more importantly he ended it.

2 For the egyptians, two things
He liberated egypt from what seems like very unpopular persian control. He also creating alexandria, which mind you, went on to become a ancient centre of phillosophy and learning and now a massive city today. You see he can build cities aswell as destroy them.

3 Unique to him alone (The attempted unifying of Persia to Greece atleast from the top)
In the end, he didnt try to destroy persian culture or its people, they became an important building bloc for future growth. Had he lived longer we could of truelly judge if this experiment would of worked. get the best of what persia had and incorperate it with the best greece had, brilliant.

Since he attempted to incorperate persian culture into his own court, he was very unpopular with his own people for it. Examples include; training iranians in hoplite warfare, forced mix marriages, Proskynesis, Persian tiltles and the capital in Babylonia..
http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander15.html - Source .

Now its easy to critize someone that was ruthless and from the sounds of it, emotional and impulsive, such critisms are fair. However demonising alexander as someone who's only achievment was killing and conqering people and burning cities is unfair, inaccurate and bias. Then there is this conventianly forgeting, that persian expansion/aggression brought this on, in the first place.

are you making all of this up, it sure sounds like it.  Alexander was not even greek (ofcourse the greeks of today gladly accept him, but during his time he was thought of as a barbarian, like any other non greek).  Alexander didnt free anything, infact, he conquered all of greece by force, then conquered ionia, then conquered persia then went on to india to catch a disease.  he did not liberate anyone and he sure as hell didnt set off on his campaign to liberate anyone.

and you say he didnt attempt to destroy persian culture, that is because he couldnt! his tiny army of, what was it, 35000 troops could never have destroyed persian culture, infact, they were incorporated into it! the greeks were so far from home in the end that most of them decided to just stay in persia and assimilate. they became persian in the end themselves! and the ones that stayed in egypt became more eyptian etc...

dont make stuff up, he didnt really do anything besides conquer, he was no different than genghi khan.

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 05:17
prsn41ife, i am not going to buy into if he is greek or not, its clearly provocative and beside the point

Here is a tip if you really feel like talking about what he was, go to the
forum_topics.asp?FID=11" class="boldLink" target="_self - Ancient Mediterranean and Europe and discuss there, i know many greeks and others that would love to talk to you

Quote:
"Alexander didnt free anything, infact, he conquered all of greece by force"
Ok, every differnt greek city/state wanted to either be a master or have no master. So nothing new about the use of force,  makedonian supremacy was notable only because they did it better than the spartans, athenians or any other. BTW phillip did most of the work, so your wrong about alexander's part here, unless you think thebes is 'all of greece'.

But you reminded me of another good point, he kept the greeks unified while out campaigning. If you know the greeks, this is no easy task, need a firm hand to keep them from squabbling. thanks

" he did not liberate anyone and he sure as hell didnt set off on his campaign to liberate anyone."
Well the ionians or the egyptians didnt want to be under persian control i would say they were liberated. Persia, and examples, like Tyre were conquered becuase they didnt want him there. So it depends on what way you look at the same action.

"The decisive moment was the aftermath of the battle of Issus, when he refused to accept http://www.gaugamela.com/ - Darius ' peace offer and proclaimed himself king of Asia. Until then, he had been the liberator of the Greek towns in Asia, from now on, his aims were higher: he became a conqueror"source

"and you say he didnt attempt to destroy persian culture, that is because he couldnt!"
Is that a fact or your opinion? do you know anything about his attitude towards persians or any other non-greeks, or are you just assuming?

He tried to a persian king to persian and a greek king to greeks. If he did it well or if this was a smart choice, is debatable. But this is a very different mindset than a 'genghi khan' type dont you think?

" Although Alexander's policy to appease the Iranian population was sincere, it was doomed. He tried to be the kind of king the Persians wanted, but at too many occasions, he did not understand Persian behavior, and what trust he created, could be destroyed by one inconsiderate act." http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander11.html -

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 10:20

prsn41ife, i am not going to buy into if he is greek or not, its clearly provocative and beside the point

Here is a tip if you really feel like talking about what he was, go to the
Ancient Mediterranean and Europe and discuss there, i know many greeks and others that would love to talk to you

Quote:
"Alexander didnt free anything, infact, he conquered all of greece by force"
Ok, every differnt greek city/state wanted to either be a master or have no master. So nothing new about the use of force,  makedonian supremacy was notable only because they did it better than the spartans, athenians or any other. BTW phillip did most of the work, so your wrong about alexander's part here, unless you think thebes is 'all of greece'.

But you reminded me of another good point, he kept the greeks unified while out campaigning. If you know the greeks, this is no easy task, need a firm hand to keep them from squabbling. thanks

" he did not liberate anyone and he sure as hell didnt set off on his campaign to liberate anyone."
Well the ionians or the egyptians didnt want to be under persian control i would say they were liberated. Persia, and examples, like Tyre were conquered becuase they didnt want him there. So it depends on what way you look at the same action.

"The decisive moment was the aftermath of the battle of Issus, when he refused to accept http://www.gaugamela.com/ - Darius ' peace offer and proclaimed himself king of Asia. Until then, he had been the liberator of the Greek towns in Asia, from now on, his aims were higher: he became a conqueror"
source

"and you say he didnt attempt to destroy persian culture, that is because he couldnt!"
Is that a fact or your opinion? do you know anything about his attitude towards persians or any other non-greeks, or are you just assuming?

He tried to a persian king to persian and a greek king to greeks. If he did it well or if this was a smart choice, is debatable. But this is a very different mindset than a 'genghi khan' type dont you think?

" Although Alexander's policy to appease the Iranian population was sincere, it was doomed. He tried to be the kind of king the Persians wanted, but at too many occasions, he did not understand Persian behavior, and what trust he created, could be destroyed by one inconsiderate act." http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander11.html -

Posted By: akritas
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 14:46

Some remarks of how ancient Persians look the ancient Macedonians if were Greeks or not

1-In the Plateans battle , Mardonios put the Greek allies in the right side of his army formation. Composed of Macedonians, Biotians, Locrians, Focians,Malians and Thessalians. The given informations are from Herodotus. The reasons were obvious.

2- The ancient Persians had three names reagrding the residents of  their Skudra.

"Saka paradraya" , probably Getes

"Skudra", the Thracians

and "Yauna takabara" that called the Ionians had a hat that like with a shild. Like the Alexander I as appeared in ancient coins of 478 B.C.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 17:15

ancient greeks considered macedonians barbarians. they did not consider them as greek, that is why macedonia was never involved in any of greece's internal affairs. that is why thebes, corinth, sparta, and athens were the only major powers of greece, macedon was never listed back them because they were not considered greek.

the macedonians of that time resemble turkey today, they changed their language, culture, political system, and religion (well, turkey didnt change their political and religion, but you know what im saying) so that they could be considered something else.  the macedonians wanted to be considered greek and tried to be accepted, but they never were, until ofcourse today.

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 18:25

Originally posted by prsn41ife

ancient greeks considered macedonians barbarians. they did not consider them as greek,

Wrong! Barbarian had also cultural meaning except ethnological. Cultural meaning about uncivilised greek tribes who were believed to have an inferior culture compared with the general hellenic civilization and a bit better culture compared with Non-Greeks. In the same category were also other northern greek tribes except Macedonians.

that is why macedonia was never involved in any of greece's internal affairs.

Wrong again... Macedonians were involved in Greece's internal affairs. We had participation in Olympic games and other festivals like "Hetaireidia", "Apellaia" and some more. They were taking part in Delphic Amphictyonies where only greeks could take part, etc.

that is why thebes, corinth, sparta, and athens were the only major powers of greece, macedon was never listed back them because they were not considered greek.

Another baseless claim. Quite a number of Greek states and entities did not appear in the first stages of classical ages. Macedonia should be seen as one of the last stages of the primary development of the Greek world. Honestly if you are about to claim something, at least present a rational argument.

the macedonians of that time resemble turkey today, they changed their language, culture, political system, and religion (well, turkey didnt change their political and religion, but you know what im saying) so that they could be considered something else.  the macedonians wanted to be considered greek and tried to be accepted, but they never were, until of course today.

Totally irrelevant analogy but it doesnt surprise me anymore. Anyway this goes too far and the topic wasnt written to turn it into another "who were ancient Macedonians" topic.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 19:01

ancient greeks considered macedonians barbarians. they did not consider them as greek, that is why macedonia was never involved in any of greece's internal affairs. that is why thebes, corinth, sparta, and athens were the only major powers of greece, macedon was never listed back them because they were not considered greek.

My friend pren41ife I think that your quote for the participation or not of Macedonians is wrong. And I will explain to you step by step

The royal house of Sparta (Herodotus VII, 204), and the royal house of Macedonia both claimed descent from Heracles (Hercules).

Participation in the Olympic Games was unequivocally and definitely a function that only athletes of strictly Hellenic origin could partake. Archelaus had won in the Olympic and Pythian Games (Solinus 9, 16) and Alexander I had also won in the Olympic Games(Herodotus,Histories, V, 22).

And Perdiccas induced the Chalcidians to abandon and demolish their towns on the seaboard and, settling inland at Olynthus, to make that one city a strong place: meanwhile to those who followed his advice he gave a part of his territory in Mygdonia round Lake Bolbe as a place of abode while the war against the Athenians should last. They accordingly demolished their towns, removed inland and prepared for war.

The Hellenic troops with him consisted of the Ambraciots, Leucadians, and Anactorians, and the thousand Peloponnesians with whom he came; the barbarian of a thousand Chaonians, who, belonging to a nation that has no king, were led by Photys and Nicanor, the two members of the royal family to whom the chieftainship for that year had been confided. With the Chaonians came also some Thesprotians, like them without a king, some Molossians and Atintanians led by Sabylinthus, the guardian of King Tharyps who was still a minor, and some Paravans, under their king Oroedus, accompanied by a thousand Orestians, subjects of King Antichus and placed by him under the command of Oroedus. There were also a thousand Macedonians sent by Perdiccas without the knowledge of the Athenians, but they arrived too late. With this force Cnemus set out, without waiting for the fleet from Corinth. Passing through the territory of Amphilochian Argos, and sacking the open village of Limna, they advanced to Stratus the Acarnanian capital; this once taken, the rest of the country, they felt convinced, would speedily follow.[Thucydides, The Peloponnesian War, Chapter VIII]

As you see my friend the ancient writers of the 4th cent mention the involve of the Macedonians in the Hellenic issues. I am not try to convince you if were Greeks or not. Actually you have already formated your conclusion

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 20:13
prsn41ife wrote:
"and when i meant that alexander conquered greece i menat that he crushed the revolts after his father died, like in thebes."
ok write what you mean then people can understand what you mean.

"and alexander was on the march far too long to be any great king as you describe him as."
i didnt describe him as a 'great king', but argue for balance when talking about  him, and yes he was untested as a ruler which makes your criticisms even less relevant. Im talking about examples of his leadership as hints of what type of ruler he was (or was trying to be), you make blanket statements without considering the evidence or providing any.

". you are contradicting yourself! "
No your assumption on macedions being foreign has ment you dont see the diffference. No greek wants to be under anyone, hence why the fought each other all the time, but they certainly dont want barbarians as their masters. That is a different league.  He was remembered as a liberator of the hellinic world in that sense. macedonian supremacy should be seen with and compared to athenian or spartan sumpremacy, control from within the hellnic world, there is no comparison to outside control and foreign domination.

Posted By: strategos
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 21:15

Doesn't everyone call their enemies barbarians and tend to make them be inferior? Were not the greeks considered "inferior" to the Persians? Hell Yeah the persians thought that, but we eventually proved them wrong. 

the macedonians of that time resemble turkey today, they changed their language, culture, political system, and religion (well, turkey didnt change their political and religion, but you know what im saying) so that they could be considered something else.  the macedonians wanted to be considered greek and tried to be accepted, but they never were, until ofcourse today.

Is no one going to mention the spread of Hellenism? This was huge in the east, and some of the greatest places of thinking were around because of that. This "barbarian" brought different styles of learning, but you tend to forget this.

Date Posted: 29-Dec-2005 at 22:18

LOL you are now trying to accredit our culture to the spread of hellenism. I doubt, Iran has been a center of civilization longer than Greece.

Alexander did not try to bring "different styles of learning" he wanted hellenistic thought to be the ONLY type of thought. That is why he destroyed other cultures, unlike Cyrus who accepted them into his cosmopolitan empire.

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 02:19

LOL you are now trying to accredit our culture to the spread of hellenism. I doubt, Iran has been a center of civilization longer than Greece.

Alexander did not try to bring "different styles of learning" he wanted hellenistic thought to be the ONLY type of thought. That is why he destroyed other cultures, unlike Cyrus who accepted them into his cosmopolitan empire.

Center of civilization? Can you expand on this more? I think Mesopotamia was more center than Persia. 

Alexander is not a destroyer of cultures, Hellenism combined the best of Eastern culture with Greek culture. If this is destorying than I am not sure you are right.

Cyrus would of been proud that his empire was not just overrun by simple heathens, and that good men had inherited it.

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 04:43

but i do admit that the egyptians actually liked the fact that he came and did look at him as a liberator but other than that (as the revolt in thebes showed) no one else felt liberated, they just went from the control of the persian empire to the control of the macedonian empire.

You have no clue what you are talking about. In the Greek cities of Asia Minor, Alexander enjoyed on the whole an enthusiastic reception with the exception of oligarchic Miletus. For example, in the cities of Ephesus and Priene the reception of Alexander was overwhelming and certainly he was welcomed as liberator. The Greeks of Asia were worshiping Alexander as a god as a recognition of being a benefactor and liberating them from Persian rule.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 05:04
For the lovers of monarchy,Cyrus was a wise ruler and Alexander was a brave and inventive conqueror.

Don't be sure though,that Alexander and his father Philip,are the pride of the greek world.They were the destroyers of the city states,they ended the independence of the Greeks,which is what they fought for all their lives.

I dont think either that the Greeks wanted to take revenge against Persians,they had won after all and their military doctrine was defensive.Thats why the Spartans didn't follow Alexander (there was not such a thing as "the leader of the Greeks" in their vocabulary).

The fame of Alexander,in my opinion,is due to Gaius Julius Ceasar,who was a great conqueror himself and had Alexander as his personal hero.Coincidence or not Ceasar gave end to the power of the senate and the republic of Rome.

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 06:39

You are wrong Agis. Greeks have in their vocabylary the "igemon of Greece" that translate in "leader of Greeks" and mentioned many times in the ancient inscriptions specially in the Demosthenis speeches that who must rule the Greeks.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 06:48

Sparta was named as the "Hegemon" of the Pelloponesian alliance and Philip was named Hegemon of Greece by the Korinthian League, a title that his son Alexander had inherited.

These are the most prominent cases where the title was used in the Hellenic world, but there were other cases of lesser importance, where a small coalition of cities would ally for a war period and the most powerfull amongst them would assume the title of "Hegemon", which literally means "Leader"

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 07:16
Of course they have,Akrita.What i ment is that they could not tolerate any "igemon" for long.And especially Demosthenes was an enemy of Philip and his plans.

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 15:47
Originally posted by strategos

Center of civilization? Can you expand on this more? I think Mesopotamia was more center than Persia. 

Alexander is not a destroyer of cultures, Hellenism combined the best of Eastern culture with Greek culture. If this is destorying than I am not sure you are right.

Cyrus would of been proud that his empire was not just overrun by simple heathens, and that good men had inherited it.

Persia was just as much a center of civilization as Babylon. The only difference was that Mesopotamia had a much higher population. Persia was always populated by villages and cities but nothing on the size of Babylon. Yet they have always been civilized from the days of Elam to Cyrus and beyond.

I doubt Cyrus the great "would have been proud" that Alexander the great slaughtered so many Persian men, women, and children, that his men raped ppl, and burnt Persian cities.

And Hellenism is not a combination of east and west. Hellenism was the root of western culture. Iran's philosophy as a peoples began far before the Hellenic invasion. From the times when nomadic peoples inhabited the plateau, from their motifs and artwork, and writings like the Avesta, it is obvious that Iranians tried to figure out their place in the world and the mystery of life. I hate this Hellenic monopoly on everything intellectual. Hellenic ppls did not invent everything as they'd like to think.

Alexander wanted Hellenism to overtake Iranian culture, not to enhance. He was tutored by Aristotle and believed his culture to be supreme.

Anyhow most Hellenism in Iran was kicked out when the Parthians saved our peoples and reestablished our role as an independent peoples

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 19:02

how can anyone say that the greeks advanced asia's culture through hellenism.?!  asia has always been more advance in the west, even during the roman empire. the eastern provinces of rome were the richest and most civilised!

persia gained nothing from hellenism. and how can one army of 30000 men who are all uneducated soldiers contribute culturally to an older culture with population in the millions!

alexander was nothing more than a brutal conquerer like genghis khan.

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 20:17

Persia was just as much a center of civilization as Babylon. The only difference was that Mesopotamia had a much higher population. Persia was always populated by villages and cities but nothing on the size of Babylon. Yet they have always been civilized from the days of Elam to Cyrus and beyond.

I doubt Cyrus the great "would have been proud" that Alexander the great slaughtered so many Persian men, women, and children, that his men raped ppl, and burnt Persian cities.

Your right, he would not of been proud of a such a huge number of Persians being slaughtered by such smaller number of Greeks, and the blunders of the superior Persian Generals. Perhaps they should of stayed in Asia where it was safe..

And Hellenism is not a combination of east and west. Hellenism was the root of western culture. Iran's philosophy as a peoples began far before the Hellenic invasion. From the times when nomadic peoples inhabited the plateau, from their motifs and artwork, and writings like the Avesta, it is obvious that Iranians tried to figure out their place in the world and the mystery of life. I hate this Hellenic monopoly on everything intellectual. Hellenic ppls did not invent everything as they'd like to think.

Alexander wanted Hellenism to overtake Iranian culture, not to enhance. He was tutored by Aristotle and believed his culture to be supreme.

Many people at these times did think their culture was supreme to others. Helenism IS a combination of both, were do you get your source that it is not?

Anyhow most Hellenism in Iran was kicked out when the Parthians saved our peoples and reestablished our role as an independent peoples

Hellenism

Wikipedia:

The term Hellenistic (derived from Ἕ˦˦Ǧ Hlln, the Greeks' traditional self-described ethnic name) was established by the German historian Johann Gustav Droysen to refer to the spreading of Greek culture over the non-Greek peoples that were conquered by Alexander the Great. According to Droysen, the Hellenistic civilisation was a fusion of Greek and Oriental culture that eventually gave Christianity the opportunity to flourish. The main cultural centers expanded from mainland Greece, to Pergamon, Rhodes, Antioch and Alexandria.

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 20:20

how can anyone say that the greeks advanced asia's culture through hellenism.?!  asia has always been more advance in the west, even during the roman empire. the eastern provinces of rome were the richest and most civilised!

persia gained nothing from hellenism. and how can one army of 30000 men who are all uneducated soldiers contribute culturally to an older culture with population in the millions!

Your compare Alexander to genghis khan? Haha, good history book you studied from. I'm sorry he put an end to the persians, but when he has practically slaves as troops from the various provinces you cannot expect much more...

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 23:26

Your compare Alexander to genghis khan? Haha, good history book you studied from. I'm sorry he put an end to the persians, but when he has practically slaves as troops from the various provinces you cannot expect much more...

how did alexander put an end to the persians? if you know anything then you know that the persians came back stronger than ever, matched the strength of the roman empire, recounqered all of the middle east, besieged byzantium, etc....

what did greece do after alexander, o wait, they got conquered and were apart of history till recently. LOL, so tell me who came to an end?

and yes, i compare alexander to genghis khan for these reasons:

1. both were great leaders, used small armies to defeat larger forces.

2. both were brutal.

3. both died from non military causes.

4. both conquered persians.

now tell me in what way these to people differ, alexander did nothing but conquer, just like genghis.

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 23:59

Hellenism

Wikipedia:

The term Hellenistic (derived from Ἕ˦˦Ǧ Hlln, the Greeks' traditional self-described ethnic name) was established by the German historian Johann Gustav Droysen to refer to the spreading of Greek culture over the non-Greek peoples that were conquered by Alexander the Great. According to Droysen, the Hellenistic civilisation was a fusion of Greek and Oriental culture that eventually gave Christianity the opportunity to flourish. The main cultural centers expanded from mainland Greece, to Pergamon, Rhodes, Antioch and Alexandria.

Very vague term. By saying fusion of Oriental though he means eastern but the author is not specific. WHAT TYPE OF ORIENTAL IS BEING MIXED??

Hmm..well it couldn't have been from China, so that excludes Taoism and Buddhism. Likewise I certainly dont think Hellenism mixed with Zoroastrianism or any Iranian thought. He is mostly referring to the peoples of Asia Minor or Anatolia, who were seen as Oriental by Greeks. But these ppl were of Greek origin anyway. And a little bit of Jewish thought most likely. But these were minor anyway and were like the Greek Hellenistic ideas anyway. Alexander was a big east meets west guy rather a west rules all guy.

If u dont believe me check out this clip from this page...

"Hellenism (or Hellenization): the official and unofficial promotion of supposed Greek ideals in the organization of personal life and civic accomplishment."

http://people.bu.edu/wwildman/WeirdWildWeb/courses/wphil/lectures/wphil_theme04.htm - http://people.bu.edu/wwildman/WeirdWildWeb/courses/wphil/lec tures/wphil_theme04.htm

The promotion of Greek ideals, not a balanced fusion of ideals. The brought paganism back into Iran, they did accept even some of Iran's ideal, the goal of Alexander was clear, kill Persians and steal their wives until the land eventually became bastardized.

and u forgot Genghis Khan also raped ppl and tried to spread his ppl and bastardize other ppl (today .5% of ppl, or 16 million ppl are descendants of Genghis Khan!!! and that's just from y-chromosome, probably even more if u studied mtDNA)

likewise Alexander wanted his soldiers to rape and to take Iranian women to a)make it look politically good even though most of the marriages didn't work out b)to spread Greek culture by allowing Greeks to settle in eastern lands but not allow easterners to settle in Greece. Alexander's systematic killing of Persians and destruction of their culture makes me wanna do some serious stuff to him. But I guess I can't cuz the moderators here are worse than then KGB.

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 01:27
strategos if you will allow me.

prsn41ife wrote:

"1. both were great leaders, used small armies to defeat larger forces."
yes but there are so many other leaders that did this, so why choose ghengis khan? very simplistic

"2. both were brutal."
That is subjective statement and description. Alexander was attacking and conquering a hellenic threat. Ghengis attacked people that had nothing to do with him. Alexander fought as ruthlessly as the whole conflict was fought. or did persian conquer others just for their benefit?
agian vague and simplistic

"3. both died from non military causes."
. So do most people including generals/leaders. Alexander died young and largly untested as a ruler of an empire. Ghengis was how old?
bad comparison.

"4. both conquered persians."
Ah huh, the real reason why you put them together, they beat the crap out of persians so they both must be same; uneducated good for nothing rulers that had no culture but alas where great generals. I think you can truelly leave alexander out of that group.

Date Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 01:58
PrznKonectoid
"
The promotion of Greek ideals, not a balanced fusion of ideals. The brought paganism back into Iran, they did accept even some of Iran's ideal,
alexander was a fusion type of guy. Why wont you provide sources he is otherwise, i have used sources so why cant you move beyond broad staments and just opinion.

what do you mean by paganism? in your world would the yezidi's have thought he was their champion?

..but wait you said
"Alexander was a big east meets west guy rather a west rules all guy."
make up you mind. either agree or or disagree. and provide sources

more sweeping staments:
the goal of Alexander was clear, kill Persians
he recruited persians and bactrians into his army, how would he kill them?
while the hellenic troops were being sent home. Do you know of some plan to  recruit more greeks into his army? please tell me how he was goin to wipe out persians?

"Then, Alexander, the Greek seers and the Persians http://www.livius.org/maa-mam/magians/magians.html - Magians poured the ritual libations and Alexander prayed for future harmony and partnership in rule between Macedonians and Persians. All 9,000 guests repeated this prayer ( http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander_t25.html - text ).

This is highly significant. The 'partnership in rule' meant that the Iranians were to be the backbone of Alexander's army, and the Macedonians were to be administrators. We have already seen http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander14.html#satraps - above that Alexander had already started a policy to appoint Europeans as satraps."
http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander15.html - link

and steal their wives until the land eventually became bastardized."
also your second guessing intent with his promotion of mix marriage. Alexanders mind is what we know lest about.

"likewise Alexander wanted his soldiers to rape and to take Iranian women to a)make it look politically good even though most of the marriages didn't work out"
because again you know what he wanted.. those marriages didnt seem polically popular from what ive read.

"The Persian court rituals and the forced marriages did not much to improve the relations between Alexander and the Macedonian elite. Even worse was to come: a corps of 30,000 young http://www.livius.org/ba-bd/bactria/bactria.html - Bactrians ( http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander12.html#epigons - above ) arrived in Susa. They were trained to fight in the http://www.livius.org/pha-phd/phalanx/phalanx.html - phalanx , and were called the Epigonoi, the 'successors'. "

"The introduction of Iranians to the army, the marriage to a Sogdian princess, proskynesis and the execution of the pages and their accomplishes: all these incidents must have served to estrange Alexander from the Macedonians and Greeks in his army. Within a year, they were to be in open revolt against their king."
http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander12.html - link

"Alexander's systematic killing of Persians and destruction of their culture makes me wanna do some serious stuff to him"
systematic killing? but you said he was a east meets west guy? Your way to emotional/bias to read and understand hisory.

Date Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 06:55

I. Alexander and the great crusade to conquer Asia Minor 
A. Alexander the King
    1.The son of King Philip, Alexander vowed to conquer Persia, in retribution  for its invasion of Greece.
    2.Alexander became king in 336 B.C. and invaded Asia Minor in 334 B.C.
    3.By 330 B.C., he had defeated the Persians and moved on to conquer the rest of Asia..
    4.He then set out to conquer India.

I. Alexander's legacy
A. Alexander became a legend in his own time.
   1. Historians still disagree over his character.
   2. Some records show him as a violent and savage person.
   3.The "philosopher-king" interpretation of Alexander is based on a    misunderstanding of his intentions at a banquet in 324 B.C.
   4.Throughout these campaigns he founded new cities and military colonies.
   5.The practical result of his actions was to open the East to Hellenism.

B. The political legacy
   1.After his death in 323 B.C., Alexander's empire was divided among four  dynasties: the Antigonids, the Ptolemies, the Seleucids, and the Pergamenes; a kingdom of Bactria was founded in the far northeast.
   2.In Greece the polis system was replaced by leagues of citystates.
   3.The Hellenistic world was politically fragmented and constantly at war

C. The cultural legacy of Alexander
   1.The colonies founded by Alexander and his successors brought many  Greeks into Asia, thereby bringing East and West together; this culture is called Hellenism.
   2.Over 70 cities were founded by Alexander, and his successors established at least 250 colonies--transforming the Mediterranean basin into a Greekspeaking region.
   3.The newly discovered Hellenistic city of Ay Khanoum is an example of Greek influence--far away from Greece.
   4.Alexander's empire spread Greek culture as far east as India.
   5.Hellenism became a common bond for the Mediterranean.

IIIThe spread of Hellenism
A.Cities and kingdoms of the Hellenistic age

1.The creation of new kingdoms accompanied the resurgence of  monarchy; this was a method of uniting diverse peoples--often linking the ruler with the gods.
    2.The new cities were not politically independent (or sovereign) but rather a part of a kingdom.
    3.Legal and social inequality existed in the Hellenistic city; Greeks had greater rights and thus formed an elite.
    4.The city was fully the possession of the king.
    5.The city of Pergamum is an example of an old city that was transformed by new Greek rulers--with gymnasia, baths, a library, and even a synagogue for Jews.
A.The Hellenistic kings were frequently at war as they attempted to solidify their kingdoms and gain the loyalty of subjects.
B.The Hellenistic city was the basic social and political unit in the Hellenistic East and the foundation on which later Roman and Christian cultures were established.

IV. The Greeks and the opening of the East    A.The Hellenistic cities provided a new military and bureaucratic class of Greeks with important jobs and chances for advancement.
    1.Greeks were able to dominate other professions, including the arts.
    2.Greek buildings were built and entirely new cities were laid out.
    3.New opportunities opened for women--including the medical profession--but most poor women were illiterate.
    4.In Sparta women owned two-fifths of the land.
    5.Overall, Greek immigrants were not loyal to their monarchs.
    6.Professional Hellenistic soldiers were not loyal to their employers.
    7.The Hellenistic world was kept going only as long as new Greek immigrants were available to fill the professional/cultural ranks.

V. Greeks and Easterners: the Hellenistic cities became centers of Hellenism  A.The spread of Greek culture was uneven, being stronger in the Mediterranean than in the Far East--and stronger in cities than in rural areas.
  B.A GrecoEgyptian culture evolved slowly in Egypt under the Ptolemies.
  C.Under the Seleucid kings, Greek and Eastern culture merged in Asia Minor.
  D.Most Easterners took only the external trappings of Greek culture, such as the Greek dialect called koine, while retaining their own way of life.
  E.Hellenism and the Jews
     1.The Greeks allowed the Jews political and religious freedom through a political organization called the politeuma.
     2.Hellenistic Greeks usually did not wish to interfere with anyone's religion.
     3.Despite adoption of some Hellenistic culture, Jews remained Hebrew at heart.

VI.The economic scope of the Hellenistic world   
    A.Commerce
       1.Alexander's conquests brought the East and the West together for trade.
       2.Overland trade to India was conducted by caravan.
         a.Silk, tea, and other luxuries came by way of two camel caravan routes--the northern Dura route and the southern Arabia route.
         b.In return, Mediterranean people traded manufactured goods    (weapons, cloth, etc.) and wine and oil.
         c.Ideas passed along these routes.
         d.The Greek cities depended on seaborne trade (largely from Egypt) for grain.
    3.The slave trade and slavery were important to the Hellenistic economy.
   B.Industry
      1.Cheap labor left no incentive to invent machinery.
      2.Labor in the gold, silver, and iron mines was harsh; many workers were political prisoners and slaves.
      3.Important changes in pottery style took place, but production methods remained unchanged.
   C.Agriculture
     1.The Ptolemies made advances in seed development; much of the royal  revenue was derived from agriculture.
     2.The Ptolemies also made strides in irrigating the land, partly because of their strong central government.

VII. Hellenistic intellectual advances
    A.Religion in the Hellenistic world
       1.The Greek religious cults centered on the Olympian gods.
          a.The cults, consisting mainly of rituals, did not fill the religious needs of the people.
          b.But many people turned to a belief in Tyche (fate or chance).
       2.Mystery religions grew up to fill emotional and ethical needs.
         a.These religions promised life for the soul after death and union with a god who had himself risen from the dead.
         b.Isis was the most important goddess of the new mystery cults.
         c.Her priests claimed that she had founded law and literature, and was the goddess of marriage and childbirth. She promised to save the souls of her believers.

VIII. Philosophy and people
    A.Common people became interested in philosophy, because of the decline of the polis, the decline of religion, and increased mobility, all of which left people in need for something permanent.
          1.The new philosophies taught that people could be truly happy only when they rejected the world and focused their attention on enduring things.
          2.The Epicureans taught that pleasure was the chief good and advocated political passivity.
          3.The Stoics stressed the unity of man and universe and resignation to one's duty.
              a.Zeno made Stoicism the most popular Hellenistic philosophy.
              b.Participation in worldly affairs was encouraged, but leading a virtuous life was most important.
              c.The Stoic concept of natural law--one law for all people--was of great importance, particularly later in Rome.

IX. Hellenistic science
     A.Aristarchus developed the heliocentric theory of the universe, although Aristotle's earthcentered view remained dominant.
     B.Euclid compiled a textbook on geometry.
     C.Archimedes, an inventor and theoretician, sketched out basic principles of mechanics.
     D.Eratosthenes made advances in mathematics and geography--and was the head of a great museum.
     E.Theophrastos founded the study of botany.

X. Hellenistic medicine
     AThe Dogmatic school of medicine, under Herophilus and Erasistratus, used vivisection and dissection to gain knowledge of the body, including the nervous system.
     B.The Empiric school stressed observation and the use of medicine and drugs, including opium.
     C.Many quacks did untold harm, but they were popular.

From http://college.hmco.com/history/west/mckay/western_society/7e/students/outlines/ch04.html - http://college.hmco.com/history/west/mckay/western_society/7 e/students/outlines/ch04.html

Now, before making  - again - irrelevant analogies think twice about all these.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 10:54

strategos if you will allow me.

prsn41ife wrote:

"1. both were great leaders, used small armies to defeat larger forces."
yes but there are so many other leaders that did this, so why choose ghengis khan? very simplistic

"2. both were brutal."
That is subjective statement and description. Alexander was attacking and conquering a hellenic threat. Ghengis attacked people that had nothing to do with him. Alexander fought as ruthlessly as the whole conflict was fought. or did persian conquer others just for their benefit?
agian vague and simplistic

"3. both died from non military causes."
. So do most people including generals/leaders. Alexander died young and largly untested as a ruler of an empire. Ghengis was how old?
bad comparison.

"4. both conquered persians."
Ah huh, the real reason why you put them together, they beat the crap out of persians so they both must be same; uneducated good for nothing rulers that had no culture but alas where great generals. I think you can truelly leave alexander out of that group.

reply to #2. macedonia was either an ally or neutral in both of the persian greek wars. therefore, you saying that he wanted to get rid of a "hellenic threat" is wrong.

tell me how genghis khan and alexander differ? they do not differ at all, they both killed lots of people, unlike cyrus, who was merciful. remember that this is a cyrus vs. alexander thread, not persia vs. greek thread.

Date Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 11:49
"reply to #2. macedonia was either an ally or neutral in both of the persian greek wars. therefore, you saying that he wanted to get rid of a "hellenic threat" is wrong."
you cant be seroius. sparta was freindly at one time, then athens. basically the persians couldnt fight the greeks head on, so they played them. alleigances came and went depending if it suited the particular parties in their own wars and interests. So that doesnt mean anything. Please know something about that history before you type about it.

"tell me how genghis khan and alexander differ?
ok if you havent worked it out, the majority here are way smarter than;
'genghis khan rode a horse and alexander rode a horse they must be alike' type of logic.
they do not differ at all, they both killed lots of people, unlike cyrus,
If you dont know the differnces yourself, then you dont know the story beyond, 'they rode in and killed lots of people' there more to it than that.

1. is there a cultural legacy? alexander left one.
  2. is there a complete differnce in circumstances? hell yes.
  3. did they give a sh*t about other cultures? well it looks like alex did
  4. who built cities not just destroyed them? alex did.
  5. did genghis like guys?

of the top of my head but anyhow, can you see how stupid such a comparison is...

who was merciful. remember that this is a cyrus vs. alexander thread,
ok, youve compared him to ghengis so far and PrznKonectoid to hitler, so yes please stay on track.

Now ive already written that this is a unfair comparison. like comparing pericles to xerxes. BTW that is more relevant to the discussion, than your over the top comparisons and statements.

Main issue
Cyrus lived on as a ruler after the conquering phase, alexander died young and therefore with all of the ??  about him and his ability, how can you judge him fairly?

Angles you could compare him
So if you are genuine about the comparison you can only judge them as conquerors, or compare the concepts of cyrus human rights ideas to alexanders fusion of cultures idea.

not persia vs. greek thread."
no this is not a persian vs greek thing in my mind. You may see things in such a way, hence explaining your inability to see history outside your own ethnic pride.

I was argueing for proper context to the history and balance in the discussion, i originly stated i dont like alexander. some people pointed out their opinions and i backed my logic up with an example and further explainations, sources.

The way everyone was talking about perspolis at the start of all of this is; like the germans bitching about dresden and not mentioning the london bombings. you dont have to be a greek to see the unfairness in such criticisms, even if personlly you dont agree with the destruction. (which is my personal veiw)

Date Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 19:55

reply to #2. macedonia was either an ally or neutral in both of the persian greek wars. therefore, you saying that he wanted to get rid of a "hellenic threat" is wrong.

Wrong again! Macedonian kings during Greco-Persian wars acted like real diplomats changing sides whenever occasions were favourable. Alexander I had contributed to Athens the necessary lumber for building a fleet...the one who shattered the Persian fleet in Salamis. Thats why he got the title of proksenos from Atheneans as a recognition for his services. While he was showing a face to Persians of a vassal leader he was sending secret messages to Greeks informing them about the movements of Persian army. Furthermore during the get-away of Persian army, Alexander got the chance and attacked to the persians who were in the place called Nine roads. His victory was impressive and he dedicated to Delphi and Olympia golden statues as "the first plunder from Medians".

A hint - Alexander I is known in history as Alexander the "Philhellene". I will let you wonder why.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 20:11

@ leonidas: for your information, my favorite empire is the roman empire, then the persian empire, so there is no ethnic pride in my argument.

you keep saying how good alexander was but you never say what he did. tell me exactly what he did besides conquer and kill. atleast cyrus did other things than just conquer.

cyrus wins this hands down, there shouldnt even be a comparison.

Posted By: Fizzil
Date Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 20:39

Hey i'm a romanophile too, doesn't mean my arguments wouldn't be emotionally charged or biased.

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 04:56
prsn41ife wrote:
"you keep saying how good alexander was but you never say what he did."
where did i say this he was good let alone 'keep saying' this? your interpretation of my position and what ive said is as  flawed as your interpretation of alexander.
"but you never say what he did. tell me exactly what he did besides conquer and kill"
prsn41ife, i think evrything your asking for has already been answred and to save this thing from going round in circles, re-read the thread.

ill use an example.
you said
"
atleast cyrus did other things than just conquer."
ive already said
"Main issue
Cyrus lived on as a ruler after the conquering phase, alexander died young and therefore with all of the ??  about him and his ability, how can you judge him fairly?"
 i then suggest ways to compare them fairly, a way to move forward...
"you can only judge them as conquerors, or compare the concepts of cyrus human rights ideas to alexanders fusion of cultures idea. "

so please move forward, if you dont understand my position, ask for clarification and dont assume.

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 11:40

i dont think that you understand that this is a cyrus vs. alexander thread.

there is no way that alexander can match up to cyrus in this context, this is all that im saying.

Posted By: cyrus
Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 17:57

I second this my friend, I am a new member and I am sorry about my short comment.

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 18:25

Cyrus didnt conqure Egypt and didnt conqure Assyria, Assyria was already conquered by Cyrus's grand father king of the Median Empire who later Cyrus fought and United Media with Persia.

only Babylonia wasn't under Medias king's controle and Cyrus got it with a  bloodless victory.

about comparing Alexander with Cyrus, Alexander for sure conquered more than Cyrus,

Cyrus was wise and diplomatic ruler while Alexander was younger and wasn't wise enough to rule, but then he died young and didnt have the chance to actully rule an empire. he kept conquering till he died.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 19:21

alexander was a fusion type of guy. Why wont you provide sources he is otherwise, i have used sources so why cant you move beyond broad staments and just opinion.

what do you mean by paganism? in your world would the yezidi's have thought he was their champion?

I provided links, its ur job to follow them. To bypass them is YOUR fault not mine.

..but wait you said
"Alexander was a big east meets west guy rather a west rules all guy."
make up you mind. either agree or or disagree. and provide sources

My mistake I meant "Alexander was NOT a big east meets west guy, rather a west rules all guy. That was my error. But Again I provided my source very clearly.

more sweeping staments:
the goal of Alexander was clear, kill Persians
he recruited persians and bactrians into his army, how would he kill them?
while the hellenic troops were being sent home. Do you know of some plan to  recruit more greeks into his army? please tell me how he was goin to wipe out persians?

hmm...Of course recruit Persians in the army, so they can die for him. Did he give any major leadership or general posts to Persians, I think not.

"Then, Alexander, the Greek seers and the Persians http://www.livius.org/maa-mam/magians/magians.html - Magians poured the ritual libations and Alexander prayed for future harmony and partnership in rule between Macedonians and Persians. All 9,000 guests repeated this prayer ( http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander_t25.html - text ).

This is highly significant. The 'partnership in rule' meant that the Iranians were to be the backbone of Alexander's army, and the Macedonians were to be administrators. We have already seen http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander14.html#satraps - above that Alexander had already started a policy to appoint Europeans as satraps."

Precisely my point. DO u honestly think Alexander gave a damn about the fate of Iranians after he took them as slaves and killed so many. NO, he just saw the use of them as labor while he administrated and let Persians die.

and steal their wives until the land eventually became bastardized."
also your second guessing intent with his promotion of mix marriage. Alexanders mind is what we know lest about.

"likewise Alexander wanted his soldiers to rape and to take Iranian women to a)make it look politically good even though most of the marriages didn't work out"
because again you know what he wanted.. those marriages didnt seem polically popular from what ive read.

"The Persian court rituals and the forced marriages did not much to improve the relations between Alexander and the Macedonian elite. Even worse was to come: a corps of 30,000 young http://www.livius.org/ba-bd/bactria/bactria.html - Bactrians ( http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander12.html#epigons - above ) arrived in Susa. They were trained to fight in the http://www.livius.org/pha-phd/phalanx/phalanx.html - phalanx , and were called the Epigonoi, the 'successors'. "

"The introduction of Iranians to the army, the marriage to a Sogdian princess, proskynesis and the execution of the pages and their accomplishes: all these incidents must have served to estrange Alexander from the Macedonians and Greeks in his army. Within a year, they were to be in open revolt against their king."
http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander12.html - link

I dont know. If I conquered Greece and had my Persian armies take many Greeks as their wives how would u feel?

"Alexander's systematic killing of Persians and destruction of their culture makes me wanna do some serious stuff to him"
systematic killing? but you said he was a east meets west guy? Your way to emotional/bias to read and understand hisory.

Again, he was NOT a big east meets west guy, that was my error in typing. I am sorry. But I still hold that he killed many Iranians, destroyed Persepolis, and took off many slaves.

Alexander was not concerned with "helping" Iranians, he just wanted the stability and control of his empire.

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 20:21

they do not differ at all, they both killed lots of people, unlike cyrus,
If you dont know the differnces yourself, then you dont know the story beyond, 'they rode in and killed lots of people' there more to it than that.

1. is there a cultural legacy? alexander left one.
  2. is there a complete differnce in circumstances? hell yes.
  3. did they give a sh*t about other cultures? well it looks like alex did
  4. who built cities not just destroyed them? alex did.
  5. did genghis like guys?

1.Even Genghis Khan left a culture legacy so what is ur point. Like Genghis Khan he tried to force his ideals onto the ppl he conquered.

2.There are some differences. But by and large they both expanded their empire to conquer ppls, gain power, and ended up slaughtering many ppls

3.Even Genghis cared about some cultures, didn't the Mongols adopt Sunni Islam? And didn't Kublai Khan adopt a Chinese court lifestyle

4. Mongols built cities all the same. Alexander may have built some, but like the Mongols he burnt down the cities of his enemies with no mercy. What the Mongols did to CHina, Alexander did to Persia.

5. I dont Know. But no one said their sexual preferences were similar, we said the way they conducted their devastating genocides and campaigns were similar.

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 21:03

Cyrus was exactly like Hitler. He was a smart diplomat justl ike Hitler. He conquered many people such as Hitler. They both spread culture. They both had facial hair...

This is your type of comparisons. Any two things can be compared if you break them simply enough.

SOME mongols became muslim. So what? SOme persians believed in Greek Gods and SOME Greeks believed in Zoroastrium.

How can you fairly compare to men? Who says because Cyrus was a better diplomat makes him a better person? Perhaps Cyrus was just a coward because he couldnt do it by strength of arms. This again is your logic.  

Now you can reply now if you want but I am now out of this topic. Perhaps this should be changed to Historical Amusement because this is becoming a joke..

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 23:02
PrznKonectoid wrote:
"
I provided links, its ur job to follow them. To bypass them is YOUR fault not mine."
one link to one guy who's main specialty is theology not history Nice 'links' you provided.

one remark of his that shows how limited he's knowedge of history ...
" Indeed, Alexander was Macedonian, a nationality related to but self-consciously distinct from the Greeks. He was himself a Hellenized person, not least thanks to his tutor, Aristotle." http://people.bu.edu/wwildman/WeirdWildWeb/courses/wphil/lectures/wphil_theme04.htm - "My mistake I meant "Alexander was NOT a big east meets west guy, rather a west rules all guy. That was my error. But Again I provided my source very clearly."
yes that one source, but ive had how many links? from a sites that focus very much on history and not just opinion. so maybe you should follow my links and a learn a little.

"hmm...Of course recruit Persians in the army, so they can die for him. Did he give any major leadership or general posts to Persians, I think not."
all a part of a nasty greek consipiracy that only you have specail information about... thats all second guessing intent and just opinion. Agian read my links.

"Precisely my point. DO u honestly think Alexander gave a damn about the fate of Iranians after he took them as slaves and killed so many. NO, he just saw the use of them as labor while he administrated and let Persians die"
we dont know what he thought, i can admit it. but can you?

ill help you a little, this link takes you to translation of an account when alexander executed two macedionian satraps after local complaints, agian we can never really guess his intent but shows that he was prepared to take sides (for whatever reason) with local complaints. http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander_t22.html - we will never know unless we get alexander in a room and ask him. But im sure you will fill in the blanks for me.

"I dont know. If I conquered Greece and had my Persian armies take many Greeks as their wives how would u feel?"
No you dont know. Persians already attempted that before alexander, i guess he wasnt very impressed. Anyhow if that is the best you got after sources that contradict your position, it only demonstrates your as emotional as the conqueror you despise.

"But I still hold that he killed many Iranians, destroyed Persepolis, and took off many slaves."
I will say every other king and wanabe did the same before and after him, so big deal, what he did was not unique.

"Alexander was not concerned with "helping" Iranians, he just wanted the stability and control of his empire."
Iranians werent concerened in helping anyone exept themselves when they conquered others, so whats your point, beyond subective guess work?

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 23:03

How about everyone cool down a little bit and express yourselves more diplomatically?

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 23:22
PrznKonectoid wrote:
"1.Even Genghis Khan left a culture legacy so what is ur point. Like Genghis Khan he tried to force his ideals onto the ppl he conquered."
temujin had strong ideals maybe personal ones, but beyond that? ok please i tell me what was temujin's ideals and how did he fight for them? 

and what cultural legacy are we talking about? i didnt know temujin conquered others to spread mongol culture. this all very new to me, maybe start a new thread.

"4. Mongols built cities all the same"
i thought your comparing to people

"3.Even Genghis cared about some cultures, didn't the Mongols adopt Sunni Islam? And didn't Kublai Khan adopt a Chinese court lifestyle"
you'll have to show me what culutures he cared about.
no mongols didnt adopt sunni islam, that was the turkish tribes and a little later on mind you, mongols adopted tibetan buddhism also later on. we are talking about tamujin here not his succusors. focus PrznKonectoid or stop pulling at straws.

"2.There are some differences. But by and large they both expanded their empire to conquer ppls, gain power, and ended up slaughtering many ppls"
still very simplistic, you'll really need to pull a rabbit out of a hat if you can do some proper comparisons.

otherwise go to http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=19 -

Date Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 23:37

well I don't know what u consider "nice" or "historical" perspectives, ecen the history u read comes from a Greek perspective. Herodotus was just as biased as a modern day Bill O'Reilly. If ur gonna reject my source cuz it doesn't agree with u, I could just as easily reject every source u have, cuz I don't think it is a "nice" source.

At this point I wanna argue, but we have gone over the same points over and over again. I think it is time to agree to disagree. For me Alexander killed many Iranians and was a horrible man, the way Hitler is horrible for many Jews. Maybe that slants my perspective, but not any more than the Greek sources our history is based off of.

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 09:21

Guys give it a rest. You are repeating over and over yourselves. Obviously everyone has made up his mind and wont change it no matter what. Our two Persian friends have a total negative image of Alexander but thats totally understandable and i respect it, as it is their prerogative to think so as it is for some others to think the contrary. The only objection i have is that many of their arguments are based on wrong premises due to deficient knowledge of Alexander's conquests details, as i already addressed some of them previously in my other posts.

For example:

hmm...Of course recruit Persians in the army, so they can die for him. Did he give any major leadership or general posts to Persians, I think not

Thats blatantly wrong! For example i will mention the case of Mazaeus. He was Satrap of Cilicia, later Syria and Mesopotamia, under Artaxerxes III. He also commanded the right wing of Persian army under Darius III at Gaugamela. Even so, this didnt prevent Alexander from appointing Mazaeus as Satrap of the key province of Babylonia. Same with other 20 oriental Satraps - in their vast majority Persian nobles - were in fact appointed or reappointed by Alexander. (The most known case of non-Persian satrap i remember was a woman, Ada of Hallicarnasus who got the satrapy of Lydia and got the honorific title of 'queen'.)

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 19:00

well for all u nay sayers of Alexander's atrocities here is some more info from one of my sources.

The only reason he married a Persian women was to try and stop the insurrections he faced in the east.

look at these excerpts, Alexander killed ppl, like Iranians in the Zagros, just cuz his gay lover died.

"In October, Alexander's lover http://www.livius.org/he-hg/hephaestion/hephaestion.htm - Hephaestion died in Ecbatana. The king was shocked, and as a consolation, he massacred the http://www.livius.org/k/kassites/kassites.html - Cossaeans , a mountain tribe in the Zagros, who were forced to give up their nomad lives and settle in towns. The king also ordered his subjects to sacrifice to Hephaestion as if he were a demigod. The implication was, of course, that he himself -as the greatest of the two lovers- was a god. Indeed, several Greek cities ordered that Alexander should be venerated as the "invincible god". "

Alexander carried out many executions and became, in the words of a Greek historian, "harsher"

"Alexander now ordered the executions of several governors whom he suspected of treason. Probably correctly: in Sogdia, the Punjab and the Indus valley, there were large insurrections, which Alexander was no longer able to suppress. Modern scholars have called these executions the "reign of terror" and our main source, the Greek historian http://www.livius.org/arl-arz/arrian/arrian.htm - Arrian of Nicomedia , writes that Alexander's rule now became 'harsher' (oxyteros). "

In India Alexander also massacres more people, who have already surrendered!

"Late in 327, the Macedonians crossed the Hindu Kush again, and invaded the valleys of the http://www.livius.org/a/pakistan/kabul/cophen.html - Kabul and http://www.livius.org/a/pakistan/swat/soastus.html - Swat . In fact, there was no justification for this attack, but Alexander's courtiers no longer asked questions. Many Indians seemed to identify the conqueror with an avatar of a local deity, who was identified by the Macedonians with their god Dionysus. Fighting was hard and merciless; on more than one occasion, Alexander massacred people who had already surrendered."

and his marriage to Roxane was not out of anything but political ambition

He also married a local princess, http://www.livius.org/ro-rz/roxane/roxane.htm - Roxane , to win additional local support. But even after these diplomatic moves, the counter-guerrilla continued

wanna know my source? here a "respectable" history source

http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander00c.html - http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander00c.html

Are beginning to see how Alexander is similar to Genghis Khan, not the same, no way, but their ruthless campaigns of slaughter bear resemblence

Now Cyrus the great obviously killed people in war too, every leader has. But he tried to promote the enhancement and growth of the ppls he conquered, and wrote the first human rights declaration.

Alexander was a general, but also a cold-blood killer. His goal was for self-empowerment only, and he did not have the administrative skill of a Cyrus or Darius.

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 15:10

Give us a break here!! You are striving so hard to prove exactly my point about you mentioned in my last post.

well for all u nay sayers of Alexander's atrocities here is some more info from one of my sources.

The only reason he married a Persian women was to try and stop the insurrections he faced in the east.

So, is it the first time you are learning in your life that most marriages among members of royal families were for political purposes???

Well it was about time to learn it. Even Alexander himself was a son of a Macedonian King and an Molossian princess, in other words a politically motivated marriage . This was a common tactic in antiquity in many royal families. Since as already demonstrated, your knowledge about Macedonian traditions seems to be equivalent to zero, more about macedonian monarchy here.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4321&KW=monarchy - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4321& ;KW=monarchy

I am amazed you even mention it since Cyrus the great himself was the son of a marriage between a Persian (Cambyses I) and a Median (Mandane of Media).

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 15:14

look at these excerpts, Alexander killed ppl, like Iranians in the Zagros, just cuz his gay lover died.

"In October, Alexander's lover Hephaestion died in Ecbatana. The king was shocked, and as a consolation, he massacred the Cossaeans, a mountain tribe in the Zagros, who were forced to give up their nomad lives and settle in towns. The king also ordered his subjects to sacrifice to Hephaestion as if he were a demigod. The implication was, of course, that he himself -as the greatest of the two lovers- was a god. Indeed, several Greek cities ordered that Alexander should be venerated as the "invincible god". "

Alexander carried out many executions and became, in the words of a Greek historian, "harsher"

"Alexander now ordered the executions of several governors whom he suspected of treason. Probably correctly: in Sogdia, the Punjab and the Indus valley, there were large insurrections, which Alexander was no longer able to suppress. Modern scholars have called these executions the "reign of terror" and our main source, the Greek historian Arrian of Nicomedia, writes that Alexander's rule now became 'harsher' (oxyteros). "

In India Alexander also massacres more people, who have already surrendered!

"Late in 327, the Macedonians crossed the Hindu Kush again, and invaded the valleys of the Kabul and Swat. In fact, there was no justification for this attack, but Alexander's courtiers no longer asked questions. Many Indians seemed to identify the conqueror with an avatar of a local deity, who was identified by the Macedonians with their god Dionysus. Fighting was hard and merciless; on more than one occasion, Alexander massacred people who had already surrendered."

And if i follow the same tactic as yours of taking quotes out of context the outcome will be this one.

"After the initial allegiance between the Persians and the Medes, there was a period of peace until the Lydian campaign started in 547.
 A typical Persian strategy is used by Cyrus which is trying to persuade local villages in Ionia to rebel against Croesus but they do not because Croesus was known to be a fair and just ruler. Cyrus promotes this idea of rebellion as he wants to promote an image of him being a better leader for the people than the present one and we see it happening all the way through Cyruss career.

Cyrus won a victory outside the walls of Sardis and the Lydians hoped for a long siege. Yet Cyrus swiftly manages to storm the place. Cyrus lets the army rape and pillage the town, yet he does restrain his men from total destruction. This is because he looks as the people as potential tax payers, not as a future enemy which shows good initiative and there is archaeological evidence to support this."

From the conquest of Ionia

Mazares takes an army and goes down the coast taking out Greek towns. The first two were Priene and Magnesia. These towns were easily captured and the inhabitants were treated harshly.
There is no overall strategies and there is no co-operation between the towns. Each town seems to be an independent state so it is not difficult for the Persians to take each town out one by one.

Later Mazares dies, probably due to disease, and Cyrus simply sends Harpagus to take over. Harpagus takes over and moves against Phocaea and Toes. The population of Phocaeans decide to leave on ships and sail to Corsica. The Teans just get on the boats until the Persians leave. Most of the other towns decide to give in, bribe Harpagus or get trashed.

from babylon conquest

The Persians first encounter was a major battle at Opis on the route to Babylon. The Babylonians were crushed and this was the only major battle fought. Cyrus destroys the city showing the Babylonians that if they resist they will be crushed, He comes on to the next town, Sipper and takes the town without conquest and the message had obviously got across to the Babylonians...

http://www.herodotuswebsite.co.uk/cyrus.htm - http://www.herodotuswebsite.co.uk/cyrus.htm

In other words we have here as outcome of Cyrus actions and policies, Rape, pillaging, savagery, destruction of cities, etc. Why did Cyrus let his men to rape the Lydian women???? A shameful act...or why was the Babylonian city destroyed?? The Babylonians are said by major historians to surrender anyway. A totally needless action.  According to you and your preeches thats another shameful action showing the sordidness of the one who did it.

Since from the start of the topic, homophobic remarks seem to be the forte of a few posters i think this passage about Achaemenids, from the book of Pierre Briant's  "From Cyrus to Alexander" is interesting for a read.

With or without testicles, 'eunuchs' from all over the Empire seem to have provided the most personal services to the royal family, attending at bedtime and mealtimes, guarding the women, even raising children. ......The women of the palace also reflected the Empire's diversity. The most beautiful girls were sent to Darius' Court from recaptured Greek cities. Following the savage suppression of the revolt of Sidon in Lebanon in the mid-fourth century, large numbers of women were taken prisoner and, the Babylonian Chronicle says, 'entered the King's palace'. His Queen encouraged Darius to make war on Greece, Herodotus says, because she wanted 'Spartan girls, and girls from Argos, Corinth and Athens' to wait on her. The Book of Esther describes the King sending out commissioners to search throughout the Empire in order to bring beautiful young virgins to Susa, which is not, 'outside the realm of possibility'."

As you notice If i was you and was using your own double standards and logic as you showed to us, in all of your posts i could conclude this is a sample of a savage king and similar to Ghenghis khan. However i dont. I consider Cyrus as a great king, rightfully deserving the title of "great" and so i do for Alexander. Obviously you have some issues for some historic figures but try to get over them. This way only you will gain some credibility, a thing you completely lack till now.

-------------

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 15:44

I have the feeling that this has turned into a Greek vs Persian nationalistic debate more than anything else.

I think it is very difficult to compare the characters of these two great men. True, Western historians have generally tended to treat Alexander very well because they were biased and because most sources describing him were Greek. In the same way, Cyrus the Great is very well presented by Persian historians because they are biased and because accounts of him are Persian. Had we based our assesment of Cyrus on Lydian or Babylonian sources, would we still regard him the same way? Probably not.

There's a train of thought nowadays that Alexander my have been homosexual, as if that somehow makes him a bad person. First of all, we don't actually know whether this was true or not: it's all supposition. The same way that it is supposition that Cyrus may have been wise or cruel or whatever.

We're simply going to have to accept the fact that our knowledge of history is incomplete and we simply cannot properly and fairly compare the character of these 2 individuals. Now, comparing their military achievements is another matter. They are both deserving of the title "The Great" because of their leadership.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Posted By: Behi
Date Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 16:43
Originally posted by Decebal

There's a train of thought nowadays that Alexander my have been homosexual, as if that somehow makes him a bad person. First of all, we don't actually know whether this was true or not: it's all supposition. The same way that it is supposition that Cyrus may have been wise or cruel or whatever.

I DISAGREE.
Have u ever seen it??

"I am Cyrus, King of the World....When my soldiers in great numbers peacefully entered Babylon... I did not allow anyone to terrorize the people...
I kept in view the needs of people and all its sanctuaries to promote their well-being... Freed all the slaves
I put an end to their misfortune and slavery (referred to 42,000 Jews and other religious minorities)."

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 20:40

yeah Aeolus do you know who wrote all those things you read about Cyrus the great, Herodotus, a Greek, who despised Persians. His accounts always stretch the truth and are far from believable. Here are numerous lies Herodotus propagates (and Decebal, there are very little "Persian" sources remaining after what Alexander did to Persepolis!! I don't know why you think our history is based off of Persian historians. It is mostly based off Greek, some Babylonian, and some Jewish (in the bible). So if anything the accounts are slanted against him.)

1) He claims that Cyrus the Great was born of the Median king. That as a child his father had a dream and wanted to kill him so he was given to a shepherd and that he grew destined to throw Asytages off the thrown. I don't know the real story but this obviously stretches the truth into fiction. Hey at least he wasn't as bad as Xenophon who claimed Cyrus was raised by wolves!

2)Herodotus talks about a black peoples in southern India so dark that even their semen was black. I think it is self-explanatory why this claim is fake. And I doubt he ever travelled to India

3)Herodotus claims that Cyrus was gonna execute Croesus and that the thunder god sent a storm forewarning that Croesus was a good man Cyrus, a monotheistic man, frees Croesus and pardons him! Ridiculous, yet accepted by historians! Meanwhile the Nabonidus Chronicles in Babylon just say Croesus dies in battle. Hmmm... which one sounds more realistic.

4)Herodotus claims Cambyses goes mad killing Egyptians, commits incest with his own sister, tries to commit suicide, and that he kills one of his governors and makes a chair out of his bones and covered in his skin! Meanwhile Herodotus' sources are all Egyptian, the Egyptians were the ones who lost to him, hmm... I wonder if they could haves stretched the truth a bit. You think?

5)How about the story of Zopyrus, where one of Darius' generals, Zopyrus, scars his faces and approaches the walled city of Babylon claiming to be betrayed by his own Persians, then opens the walls and lets the Persians in to take Babylon. wait a second isn't this...oh yeah a retelling of Troy!! And we know its fake because Herodotus claims Darius appointed Zopyrus as the satrap of Babylon. Well it turns out records remain of all the governors of Babylon, not missing one year during this time period, and Zopyrus does not appear anywhere on the records.

6)Or how about his accounts of the Persian war, he describes the Persian take over of the islands of Datis and Artaphernes as a failed "punitive" strike against Athens. Again, wrong! Darius' forces was far too small to attack Athens, it was only designed to capture Islands as a base for further attacks and to cut-off Greece!

7)Herodotus claims that at the battle of Marathon Persians were crushed in a decisive defeat. While an important source everybody believes Herodotus without the slightest doubt. In fact from the Persian viewpoint it was a rearguard defense. The Greeks stood by and watched as the Persians pillaged and in the attacked as they left, but this was very minimal, not a huge vitctory as Herodotus records. He puts the number of Persians dead at 6,400 and he puts the number of Greek dead at 192. Most people accept this. How can the world's strongest power at that time lose that many to the Greeks who only lost 192! Surely someone has rewritten history. I think more questions should be asked!

And with all this how can we be sure of Herodotus' accuracy on Cyrus. With no real Persian sources (cause most would have been burned by ALexander at Persepolis),  we have no way of contrasting their viewpoints. This is like using a Nazi historian to find out about Jews!

Furthermore Alexander's history is taken down by Greek, Hellenistic historians, so he is portrayed as being good. Again like a Nazi historian writing about Hitler himself. Of course they're gonna portray it as good.

And another thing, even if Alexander was gay, that is not why I say he was a horrible man. I say it cause he slaughtered many peoples.

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Posted By: Maziar
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 15:12

Well in my opinion both of them were great, each of his own way. Cyrus was a great liberator and diplomat, Alexander a great General and courageous leader.

It is impossible to compare these two persons, they lived in different times, they had different cultures and they had different motivations to conquer.

So come on please people!

-------------

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 15:22
Originally posted by Land of Aryan

Originally posted by Decebal

I DISAGREE.
Have u ever seen it??

"I am Cyrus, King of the World....When my soldiers in great numbers peacefully entered Babylon... I did not allow anyone to terrorize the people...
I kept in view the needs of people and all its sanctuaries to promote their well-being... Freed all the slaves
I put an end to their misfortune and slavery (referred to 42,000 Jews and other religious minorities)."

You will notice that I said may have been wise or cruel or whatever. I'm not saying that I believe that he was actually cruel, or wise for that matter. I'm saying that different people may have different opinions on him or any other historical figure, and that often depends on their bias.

One might argue that the above inscription is pure propaganda, and yet another may take it at face value. It depends largely on their bias. I did not actually express an opinion on what I personally believe, so don't get offended.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com