Print Page | Close Window

The New Middle East

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Historical Amusement
Forum Discription: For role playing and alternative history discussions.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16110
Printed Date: 08-May-2024 at 07:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The New Middle East
Posted By: The Grim Reaper
Subject: The New Middle East
Date Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 17:13
Turkish state: comprised of the majority Turkish areas of Turkey, the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, and the Muslim parts of Georgia - Ajaria and Abkhazia.

Levant Arab state: Comprised of Lebanon, the Arab majority areas of the West Bank, the Cheba Farms, the Golan Heights, Jordan, Syria, and the Sunni Arab parts of Iraq.

Peninsular Arab state: comprised of the Sunni areas of Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait.

Mesopotamian Shia Arab state: comprised of the Shia areas of southern Iraq and the Arabian Peninsula.

Egyptian Arab state: comprised of the Gaza Strip, Egypt, Arab parts of northern Sudan, and the Arab-majority areas of Chad.

Arab-Berber state: comprised of Tunisia, Libya, Algeria, Morocco, Mauritania, and Western Sahara

Kurdish state: comprised of Turkish Kurdistan, Syrian Kurdistan, Iraqi Kurdistan, and Iranian Kurdistan.

Azeri state: comprised of Azerbaijan, and southern Azerbaijan (Azeri-majority areas of northern Iran).

Persian state: comprised of Persian-majority areas of Iran, i.e. Esfahan, Kerman, Yazd, Khorasan, Fars, etc., and other smaller non-Persian populations, i.e. Khuzestan, Lorestan, Mazandaran, etc.

Afghan (Pashtun) state: comprised of the Pashtun areas of southern Afghanistan, the Pashtun areas of Pakistan (Federally Administered Tribal Areas, North West Frontier Province, Baluchistan), and Iranian Baluchistan.

Tajik state: comprised of Tajikistan, Tajik areas of northern Afghanistan (especially the Panjshir Valley), Tajik areas of southwestern Afghanistan (Herat), and the Tajik areas of Uzbekistan.

Pakistan: comprised of West Panjab, Sindh, and Kashmir

Western Turkistan state: Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmen and Uzbek areas of Iran and Afghanistan.

This is all hypothetical of course, but do you all feel that this would help lessen the conflicts and rivalries in the Middle East? The current borders were drawn up by Western European colonial powers who drew lines in the sand and separated families and tribes creating new conflicts and capitalizing on old ones.

And of course, in Islam, remember that "there shall be no borders between Muslims."

*btw: I know there are some discrepancies here, i.e. Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ajaria, Abkhazia, North Africa, and Central Asia are not in the Middle East, please overlook this.

Replies:
Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 17:43
One could just imagine the effects your land distribution would have in the middle east. The effect it would have on our members is something for Historical Amusement.

Moved.

-------------

Posted By: Qutuz
Date Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 18:10
The only solution for the Middle East is for all the Muslim lands to be reunified again. All the other divisions are just false and don't lead to a solution, but just to new problems.

The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: "My nation is a unique nation, their lands are one, their war is one and their peace is one".

Even if disunity exists today, it is mostly by the force of the rulers who are Western puppets. It is not because divisions amongst the people themselves. When the aid from the West slows down and those puppet governments can no longer protect themselves from their peoples, then the Muslims will return back to their natural state, unified together.

Just go to any Middle Eastern country, and look at the military situation there. The soldiers are there to protect the rulers from the people, who reject them. Egypt is USA's second largest recipient of foriegn aid, and almost all of it is used to point guns at the civilian population, not at the external enemies of the Egyptian people. Walk down the streets of Cairo and see the countless soldiers standing in gun towers, overlooking the civilian population. Or look at the huge number of troops stationed outside mosques every friday afternoon (when the congregational prayer happens), and you'll see the signs of the Muslim's desire for unity is everywhere.

The USA speaks about democracy in Middle East, but in reality would never want it. Because if the people there had a real choice, they'd reject everything that's in America's interests. Therefore it's quite suitable for the Middle East to be under authoritarian dictatorships.

-------------
http://www.zanjabil.net/images/unity.gif - http://www.zanjabil.net/images/unity.gif

Date Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 20:27

Qutuz,

That is a very noble cause, to unify the Ummah, however I disagree with you in that it will bring about any lasting peace. Due to various factors outside of Islam, such as nationalism, tribal rivalries, historical distrust, economic resources, religious interpretation etc., it is not a very plausible solution. A better solution is the one I have proposed, in which the borders are defined along linguistic, ethnic, and cultural divides.

Date Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 22:57
That is a very noble cause, to unify the Ummah, however I disagree with you in that it will bring about any lasting peace.

Well, we wouldn't do it on the basis of it bringing peace, we'd do it on the basis of following our religion and its commandments. The results come from Allah (the almighty) not from our efforts.

Due to various factors outside of Islam, such as nationalism, tribal rivalries

These are in fact the same thing (known as asabiyah in Islamic texts) and they are in fact victims of unity. So as Muslims work to unify, such  weak and backward ways of thinking like nationalism and tribalism will vanish, as they did before. Muslims lived for the past 1350 years without nationalism/tribalism.

So this point is invalid. Also its been obvious over the past 50-80 years that the nationalist states have been in existence in the Muslim lands, that the rulers there have had to work very hard to incite the "nationalist fervour" in the people. Once their influence is gone, so too would the rotten nationalism.

historical distrust

Between who?

Sunnah and Shi'a? When I speak about unification of the Muslims into one land, it obviously wouldn't include the Shi'a, as it didn't under the Ottoman state either. They had their own state in Persia, as they do today.

economic resources

Come on, these abound in the Islamic lands.

religious interpretation etc.

This is a fairly recent invention, and is mostly the work of the rulers who now dominate our scholarly insitutions (like al-azhar dominated by the egyptian government, and promoting divisive ideas). So again, invalid point. Such perceived problems would disappear with the corrupt rulers who invent them.

-------------
http://www.zanjabil.net/images/unity.gif - http://www.zanjabil.net/images/unity.gif

Posted By: shayan
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 10:40
I don't like it... Iran should stay one... the same as it is today... with Persians, Azeris and Kurds,,, afterall we are all from one origin and very much mixed... specially Azeris and Persians are mixed....

-------------
Iran parast

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 11:14
Looks like some of you like to divide the lands on ethnic, linguistic, religious and cultural lines. I'm getting blurred vision just thinking about it.
Qutuz, since you are a proponent of an Islamic empire why did you exclude the Shi'a? Or don't you consider them muslims? How did you come about such a decision? Whose ideology of Sharia would you govern this empire with? Don't tell from just regulations of the Quran, cause I know your understanding of it is based on heresay from various unfounded hadith. Would you also have a Caliph?

-------------

Posted By: Aster Thrax Eupator
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 12:40
You have not metioned Israel- In your new middle east, what would happen to that nation?

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 12:59
Very good observation.

-------------

Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 13:11
I think he is only concerned about muslims...in his warped idea of the ME there are no jews or christians

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 13:46
Seko,

Qutuz, since you are a proponent of an Islamic empire why did you exclude the Shi'a?

As I mentioned for the last probably 500 years they had their own seperate state anyway, due to the fact their beliefs diverged too far from the mainstream of the Muslim Ummah (ie. Ahl as-Sunnah wal-Jum'ah). Therefore bringing them into the rule of Islam is not a priority, but it would happen I guess. Like the Ottomans, they preferred to expand westward, but would also move into Safawi territory whenever they caused too much problems.

Or don't you consider them muslims? How did you come about such a decision?

I consider them like you. People who've fallen into a distorted vision of the deen due to a lack of knowledge about it.

Whose ideology of Sharia would you govern this empire with? Don't tell from just regulations of the Quran, cause I know your understanding of it is based on heresay from various unfounded hadith.

Personally, I follow the Shafi' madhab, so if it were me personally, I'd implement the Shafi' fiqh (what you mean is fiqh not ideology). But it wouldn't really matter which of the 4 codes of fiqh were followed as all of them are equally valid. For instance under the Ottomans Hanafi Fiqh was implemented, and that's perfectly fine. Not the great conundrum you (and others) claim it to be.

Would you also have a Caliph?

Of course, this is, as I've explained to you in other threads (as well as provided you with ample evidence) compulsory in Islam.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 13:53
You seem to be remain obstinate and stubborn insisting that the Caliph is Islamic after refutation of your claims via the Quran. But you can believe in any form of Islam you like, that is your right.

I could give you a hundred contradictions from the hadith of Bukhari and Malik but you would still stick to your schools of thought. Had I not seen such contradictions then maybe I would have been just one of the sheep too.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 13:55
Earl,

You have not metioned Israel- In your new middle east, what would happen to that nation?

To 99% of the Middle East, Israel is not really considered to be a valid entity. It was implanted into the region against the wishes of the overwhelming majority of the people and it sits there like an outpost of a foriegn and unnatural presence in a region in which it doesn't belong.

The analogy of Israel is like that of an oil rig in the middle of the ocean. Whilst her manufacturers visit her and maintain her and have a need for her services in the middle of the ocean, she will stand, but as soon as they neglect her for a short time, the overwhelming current of the oceans will wash her away.

mamikon,

I think he is only concerned about muslims...in his warped idea of the ME there are no jews or christians

Muslims have had no problem living with Jews and Christians in the Middle East for 1400 years. The problem began when the Western nations began mass importing large amounts of foriegn Jews into the region and set up and artificial state in a region in which they were previously less than 2% of the population. Can you imagine a people who are less than 2% of your country's population being handed over your state and you become a refugee overnight? Whilst they begin to flood into your country to try and saturate the population?

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 14:01
after refutation of your claims via the Quran

You didn't refute anything. all your argument consisted of, was a denial of the hadith (which almost every single member of the Sunnah community unanimously accept) and therefore a claim it doesn't exist as it's only in the hadith, which you deny.

Even though I brought you a verse in which Allah (swt) clearly speaks about a Khaleefah, and Imam Qurturbi (one of the most respected scholars of Qur'an in our history, unanimously agreed upon by all sides of the Sunnah spectrum, sufis, salafis, ikhwanis, tablighis whoever) who said this verse refers to the Islamic duty to establish a Caliphate, yet you still rejected it. All I can gather from your posts so far, is that you do a lot of rejecting.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 14:12
My dear fellow 'muslim' you were given numerous chances to either accept or refute your claim about your so-called Caliph being mentioned in the Quran. Instead you give my hadith. I did not make the claim. You did. And you failed to provide the exact verses from the Quran. Your statement about this is as clear as day. Its on record. You can realize your mistake and take back your false claim or stick to insisting on what you were taught by jurists and scholars from your sources. What you decide is certainly your choice.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 14:24

Okay, so all the countries who are to be broken up will just sit back and let that happen? No, even if all of them were for the sake of argument, "artificial", they are tangible entities on the ground. Their existance, gives them a certain legitamacy, and any attempt to break them will be resisted.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 14:54
Originally posted by Earl Aster

I didn't mention Israel because it is not an Islamic country.

If you read the post thoroughly, I stated that the "Arab-majority areas of the West Bank" would go to the new Levant Arabs state, and the Gaza Strip would be ceded to the Egyptian Arab state.

I was inferring here that all of modern-day Israel, along with some large Jewish settlements in the West Bank, and Jewish West Jerusalem would become part of Israel.

And I didn't say as much, but I thought that I had also implied that there would be PEACE WITH ISRAEL! The Arabs and Islamic world MUST MAKE PEACE WITH ISRAEL and recognize her right to exist.Smile

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 14:58
Originally posted by mamikon

Uhhhh ... How about an astounding NO!

If I wanted that, then why did I state that ONLY THE ARAB-MAJORITY AREAS of the West Bank would be ceded to the new Levant Arab state and the Gaza Strip would be ceded to the new Egyptian Arab state, huh????

Obviously, this implies that Israel would continue to exist and not only in her current borders, but she would be able to retain the Jewish-majority areas of the West Bank and Jerusalem.

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 15:11
Originally posted by Sparten

Okay, so all the countries who are to be broken up will just sit back and let that happen? No, even if all of them were for the sake of argument, "artificial", they are tangible entities on the ground. Their existance, gives them a certain legitamacy, and any attempt to break them will be resisted.

I think I stated that this was all "hypothetical" and it is based on the premise the borders were defined by external powers and hence, could be just as easily redefined by external powers.

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 17:41
Seko,

I am continuing in the abolition of Caliphate thread.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 17:45
Okay, so all the countries who are to be broken up will just sit back and let that happen? No, even if all of them were for the sake of argument, "artificial", they are tangible entities on the ground. Their existance, gives them a certain legitamacy, and any attempt to break them will be resisted

They are all artificial entities means that their populaces in almost every single case do not support them. They rule with an iron fist and oppress and torture their populations in shocking ways. They are only sustained by the Western (or former Soviet) aid that they receive and that will eventually dry up when the region is not so strategically important anymore. Without the money to pay their massive armies (which are actually state police forces) they will no longer be able to protect themselves against their peoples.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 19:01

Originally posted by Qutuz

Well, we wouldn't do it on the basis of it bringing peace, we'd do it on the basis of following our religion and its commandments. The results come from Allah (the almighty) not from our efforts.

The objective of religion is to bring peace to the soul, the community, and the nation. The world has progressed since the dawn of Islam in the Arabian Peninsula, Muslims peoples no longer wish to be unified under the banner of Islam, rather, they seek nationalistic goals. Do the Kurds wish to remain a part of the Islamic Republic (of Iran)? Do they not seek independence from Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Iran? That is but one example of a Muslim people who have been oppressed for centuries by their so-called Muslim brethren and have lost all desire to live under a unified Islamic banner.

These are in fact the same thing (known as asabiyah in Islamic texts) and they are in fact victims of unity. So as Muslims work to unify, such  weak and backward ways of thinking like nationalism and tribalism will vanish, as they did before.

You are basing this on the assumption that the majority of Muslims are religious –which they are not. The majority of Muslims are nominally Muslim and their tribal, nationalistic, cultural identification precedes Islam.

Muslims lived for the past 1350 years without nationalism/tribalism.

Where did you learn this? You are purposefully viewing history through a nostalgic prism. The truth of the matter is that there has always been conflict within Islam. Sunni versus Shia, Arab versus Persian, Persian versus Turk, Turk versus Arab, Turk versus Turk, Arab versus Arab, Arab versus Berber, etc.

So this point is invalid. Also its been obvious over the past 50-80 years that the nationalist states have been in existence in the Muslim lands, that the rulers there have had to work very hard to incite the "nationalist fervour" in the people. Once their influence is gone, so too would the rotten nationalism.

Between who?

I stated some historical conflicts earlier in this post. I will quote more recent conflicts amongst Muslim peoples for you here: Arab versus Kurd, Kurd versus Turk, Tajik versus Pashtun, Pashtun versus Pakistani, Sudanese Arab versus Black African, Somali versus Somali, distrust between Gulf Arab states, etc.

Sunnah and Shi'a? When I speak about unification of the Muslims into one land, it obviously wouldn't include the Shi'a, as it didn't under the Ottoman state either. They had their own state in Persia, as they do today.

Why would it not include the Shia? Just earlier in this post, you claimed that there had never existed conflict between Muslims and that there still does not exist conflicts between true Muslims, yet, you wish to completely exclude the Shia?

Come on, these abound in the Islamic lands.

No, you are wrong. Natural resources –and specifically oil, gas reserves –are only plentiful in the Gulf Arab states, Iraq, Iran, Azerbaijan, Nigeria, Brunei, Kazakhstan, Libya, and Afghanistan. What of the remaining Islamic countries? What of Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Niger, Chad, Somalia, Egypt, Morocco, Mauritania, Palestine, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and others??? What resources do they have? They have either none or at least not a significant amount to impact their respective economies.

This is a fairly recent invention, and is mostly the work of the rulers who now dominate our scholarly insitutions (like al-azhar dominated by the egyptian government, and promoting divisive ideas). So again, invalid point. Such perceived problems would disappear with the corrupt rulers who invent them.

Invalid point. Invalid point. Invalid point.

I am sorry, but the invalid point here is the illusions which the Arab Nation and Islamic Nation is privy too. The dictators, tyrants, corrupt rulers are not the puppets of the West although some have been bought since they first came to power. The Arabs and Muslims, and no one else, no external force, is responsible for corruption, tyranny, and the current plight of the Arab and Muslim World. Instead of placing the blame on the West or foreign powers, why not just accept the fact that Islamic, and especially Arab culture is responsible for producing such an environment wherein the likes of Saddam Hussein, Muammar Al Gaddafi, Bashar Al-Assad, Hosni Mubarak, are able to rise to prominence?

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 00:22
The objective of religion is to bring peace to the soul, the community, and the nation

This is your definition, please don't promote it as the universal definition, as it is not.

Muslims peoples no longer wish to be unified under the banner of Islam, rather, they seek nationalistic goals

Who are you to speak for "Muslims"? I really don't see the love of nationalism you claim, especially amongst Arabs, most have come to the realisation that nationalism is empty and has no real benefit for them.

That is but one example of a Muslim people who have been oppressed for centuries by their so-called Muslim brethren and have lost all desire to live under a unified Islamic banner

The Kurds are a special case. And it's a well known fact the British are the ones who betrayed them, promising them an independant state and then abandoning them. Likewise the Soviets fuelled their nationalist tendancies for years but again left them without any substantial help. So I really don't think you can use the Kurds as an example of your claims.

You are basing this on the assumption that the majority of Muslims are religious –which they are not. The majority of Muslims are nominally Muslim and their tribal, nationalistic, cultural identification precedes Islam.

How do you know this? Have you ever been to the Middle East? Or is just another one of your "observer wisdoms"?

Where did you learn this? You are purposefully viewing history through a nostalgic prism.

Can you show me one single example of a nation-state that was formed, specifically on the basis of tribalism or nationalism or ethnicity throughout the entire 1350 year of Islamic rule???

Sunni versus Shia, Arab versus Persian, Persian versus Turk, Turk versus Arab, Turk versus Turk, Arab versus Arab, Arab versus Berber, etc.

This is just nonsense. The Islamic Caliphate welded its constituent populations together better than any other nation that's ever existed. The nationalist tendancies did not begin until the very dying days of the Islamic Caliphate. Even supposed rivalries between Arabs and Persians in the early days of Islam are overplayed.

Arab versus Kurd, Kurd versus Turk, Tajik versus Pashtun, Pashtun versus Pakistani, Sudanese Arab versus Black African, Somali versus Somali, distrust between Gulf Arab states, etc

These conflicts are all POST-Caliphate conflicts, they really have no bearing on the situation. Nobody denies that post-Caliphate conflicts have occured, and this is because the governments have been pumping the people up with nationalist ideas, I mentioned this earlier.

Why would it not include the Shia? Just earlier in this post, you claimed that there had never existed conflict between Muslims and that there still does not exist conflicts between true Muslims, yet, you wish to completely exclude the Shia?

They wouldn't be excluded by force, but they've had their own seperate states for about 500 years, so I doubt it'd be that easy to reincorporate them back in. Shi'a are a very small minority of Muslims btw, so don't get too happy just yet, that some division exists.

What resources do they have? They have either none or at least not a significant amount to impact their respective economies.

United together, the Muslims have a large % of the worlds resources. Individual countries don't interest me, as i don't recognise their borders to begin with.

The dictators, tyrants, corrupt rulers are not the puppets of the West although some have been bought since they first came to power

Have you ever read a history book????

Almost every single leader of Arab country is a Neo-Colonialist puppet, fully approved and neatly placed into power by the evacuating colonialist power who preceded them. If you didn't know this, then you've been living under a rock. Every single one of them without exception has (or has had) a great relationship with the West, even if it's not always widely publicised (due to the domestic problems it could cause either side).

Saddam Hussein, Muammar Al Gaddafi, Bashar Al-Assad, Hosni Mubarak, are able to rise to prominence?

Saddam Hussein is well known as a Western puppet. They later turned nasty on him, when he became a bit of a danger to be associated with, but look at his relationship with the Western powers right up even until the mid 80's. Shall I bring some pictures for you of Saddam Rumsfeld getting chummy? I'm sure you've seen them anyway.

Bashar al-Himar (The donkey) and Qadhafi were both educated in British military insititutions (perhaps the same one I think) as was the donkey of Jordan. And Hosni is well known for his pro-American position, and the fact he's the second biggest recipient of US foriegn aid after Israel.

Like to try again?

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 15:40

This is your definition, please don't promote it as the universal definition, as it is not.

The definition you provided was your own as well or at least or the interpretation of your religion by someone other than you.

Who are you to speak for "Muslims"?

I can ask you the same question. Who are you to speak for Muslims when you claim that all 1.4 billion of them wish to be unified and live as citizens of a single nation-state?

I really don't see the love of nationalism you claim, especially amongst Arabs, most have come to the realisation that nationalism is empty and has no real benefit for them.

The Turks are nationalists. The Iranians are nationalists. The Afghans are nationalists. The Pakistanis are nationalists. The Iraqis are nationalists. The Palestinians are nationalists. The Libyans are nationalists. All the Gulf Arabs are nationalists. If these peoples were not nationalistic or did not have a history of nationalism, then why are there 19 Arab states (I am not including the non-Arabic speaking Black African states of Somalia, Djibouti, and Comoros Islands) instead of one? Why are there 57 some odd countries in the Organization of the Islamic Conference instead of one?

The Kurds are a special case.

Sounds like an excuse now that your theory has been disproved.

And it's a well known fact the British are the ones who betrayed them, promising them an independant state and then abandoning them.

Now you are again blaming foreigners for the problems in the Middle East? How unexpected.

The British did not betray anyone. The Kurds wanted a separate state, but the Turks did not want to cede their eastern territories to them, and neither did the Arabs (in Iraq and Syria) or the Iranians. I do not see any betrayal here. The Kurds are Muslims. The Turks, Syrians, Iraqis, and Iranians are Muslims. According to your logic, the Kurds should have been happy living amongst their co-religionists.

Likewise the Soviets fuelled their nationalist tendancies for years but again left them without any substantial help. So I really don't think you can use the Kurds as an example of your claims.

Oh, I think I can.

And I just did.

You do not want me using the Kurdish example because it nullifies your wishful Islamist argument of a unified Islamic state spread throughout the world –even if it is carved out from non-Muslim majority lands.

How do you know this? Have you ever been to the Middle East? Or is just another one of your "observer wisdoms"?

There was a recent study done in Iran in which 88% of Iranian youth stated that they were non-religious and did not follow or seek to follow the tenets of Islam. The Bosnians, Albanians, Turks, Azerbaijanis, Central Asian Turkic Muslims, and Muslims of the North Caucasus all tend to be nominally Muslim if not outright atheist due to the influence of the former USSR.

The number of Muslim women who engage in pre-marital sex with non-Muslim men is countless; I think this would qualify them as being only nominally Muslim. The number of Muslim men who consume alcohol (and deny it in the company of other Muslims) is common as well, only a minority of Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan –I can give you more examples but I am sure that you have witnessed these types of things as well.

And yes, I have traveled to Islamic countries.

Can you show me one single example of a nation-state that was formed, specifically on the basis of tribalism or nationalism or ethnicity throughout the entire 1350 year of Islamic rule???

Afghanistan was carved out of Iran by the Durrani tribe to function as a Pashtun state independent of the Persians. That is one example.

During Ottoman rule, the Albanian Muslims sought independence from the Caliphate.

Did you want me to list any more?

This is just nonsense. The Islamic Caliphate welded its constituent populations together better than any other nation that's ever existed. The nationalist tendancies did not begin until the very dying days of the Islamic Caliphate. Even supposed rivalries between Arabs and Persians in the early days of Islam are overplayed.

No, it certainly is not nonsense. There has always existed a tribal, nationalistic, and historical rivalry between various ethnic or linguistic groups in the Middle East and even amongst various Arabs themselves.

Nonsense is the nostalgia, the wishful thinking on the part of Islamists who dream of the day when the Caliphate will be restored. Do you think once this occurs that the Turks and Kurds will embrace as brothers? Will too the Arabs and Persians? The Iraqis and Kuwaitis? The Sudanese Arabs and the Black African Muslims of Darfur?

These conflicts are all POST-Caliphate conflicts, they really have no bearing on the situation. Nobody denies that post-Caliphate conflicts have occured, and this is because the governments have been pumping the people up with nationalist ideas, I mentioned this earlier.

This is Islamist propaganda. The history of Arab-Turkish, Arab-Persian, Turkish-Persian, Persian-Mughal, Afghan-Mughal, Arab-African, etc. conflict lies both prior to the advent of Islam and was very present during the time of the Caliphate.

They wouldn't be excluded by force, but they've had their own seperate states for about 500 years, so I doubt it'd be that easy to reincorporate them back in. Shi'a are a very small minority of Muslims btw, so don't get too happy just yet, that some division exists.

Seems to me that you follow the Sunni school of thought to the tee and your wish to exclude the Shia comes more from your prejudices, your rivalry, towards them than this politically correct excuse you have mustered forth.

United together, the Muslims have a large % of the worlds resources. Individual countries don't interest me, as i don't recognise their borders to begin with.

No, they do not. The Muslims are the most impoverished peoples in the world. Name one Muslim-majority country that has a viable economy independent of oil exports. Do you think the Gulf Arab states and Libya can survive once their oil fields run empty?

Have you ever read a history book????

Yes, but I have never read an Islamist-inspired history book. Have you?

Almost every single leader of Arab country is a Neo-Colonialist puppet, fully approved and neatly placed into power by the evacuating colonialist power who preceded them. If you didn't know this, then you've been living under a rock. Every single one of them without exception has (or has had) a great relationship with the West, even if it's not always widely publicised (due to the domestic problems it could cause either side).

Many countries throughout the world have been colonized, had their borders drawn, and been subjected to the rule of puppet governments. What makes the Middle East so different? Except that the Arabs are so backward that they cannot help but feel sorry for themselves for 60-plus years. Was Hong Kong not colonized? Was India not colonized? Was the entire Western Hemisphere not colonized? Why is the Middle East so different?

Saddam Hussein is well known as a Western puppet. They later turned nasty on him, when he became a bit of a danger to be associated with, but look at his relationship with the Western powers right up even until the mid 80's. Shall I bring some pictures for you of Saddam Rumsfeld getting chummy? I'm sure you've seen them anyway.

Saddam Hussein was never a puppet of the West. He was an ally. Shall I show you pictures of Madeline Albright at a dinner with Kim Jung Il? Does this mean that he is or was a puppet of America? The United States administration has also met with various former Chechen Muslim leaders, Aslan Maskadhov was invited to Washington, DC when he was the de facto president of Chechnya, he later met with Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan and received money, training, and fighters from him. Are you going to tell me that Maskadhov was an American stooge as well?

Bashar al-Himar (The donkey) and Qadhafi were both educated in British military insititutions (perhaps the same one I think) as was the donkey of Jordan. And Hosni is well known for his pro-American position, and the fact he's the second biggest recipient of US foriegn aid after Israel.

What does it matter where they were educated? If you had the means, you too would send your own children to the best schools. Al-Assad and Qadhafi are both Arab nationalists and support terrorists Islamist organizations (you can call them freedom fighters or resistance fighters but when they blow up children and civilians alike –Muslim and non-Muslim – they are nothing but terrorists)! If I attend American University in Cairo and come back to the States, would that make me a puppet of the Egyptians? Roflllll You have some ridiculous reasoning my friend.

Like to try again?

Your turn.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 01:47

Okay, so all the countries who are to be broken up will just sit back and let that happen? No, even if all of them were for the sake of argument, "artificial", they are tangible entities on the ground. Their existance, gives them a certain legitamacy, and any attempt to break them will be resisted

They are all artificial entities means that their populaces in almost every single case do not support them. They rule with an iron fist and oppress and torture their populations in shocking ways. They are only sustained by the Western (or former Soviet) aid that they receive and that will eventually dry up when the region is not so strategically important anymore. Without the money to pay their massive armies (which are actually state police forces) they will no longer be able to protect themselves against their peoples.

Bull **t.
Why don't you go ask one of those citizens about how badly they want there country broken up.

-------------

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 12:36
where is kurdish Turkey?

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Posted By: Bulldog
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:10
TheGR
During Ottoman rule, the Albanian Muslims sought independence from the Caliphate.

Are you sure? wasn't it the Christian Albanians.

TheGR
Nonsense is the nostalgia, the wishful thinking on the part of Islamists who dream of the day when the Caliphate will be restored. Do you think once this occurs that the Turks and Kurds will embrace as brothers? Will too the Arabs and Persians? The Iraqis and Kuwaitis? The Sudanese Arabs and the Black African Muslims of Darfur?

This is way to general. There is no such thing as Iraqi's and Kuwaiti's, both are Arab, the problem in Sudan has nothing to do with religion, if they started learning about religion more deeply they'd realise the errors of their ways. Turks and Kurds live in the same street, work together, grow up together and generally don't have a problem in Turkey.

It is true that state's which have been run closer to actual Islamic principles have achieved to create a peace and harmony among the populace.

Ever since countries have strayed away from this there has been utter chaos and havoc.

The middle east hasn't had this many wars and problems since the time of the Crusades.

There has been peace and harmony when great Muslim leaders have enforced rule in close accordance with what is taught by religion. Caliph Omar, Saladdin, Suleyman the Magnificent, etc etc are prime examples of this.

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Posted By: Dan Carkner
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:23
I think that's too simplistic a way of looking at things.  People living in different states have had different experiences.  Look at what happened when Egypt tried to unite with Syria in Nasser's time-- they clashed and broke apart because of intrigues, differences, etc.

Religion is a small aspect of life, culture and national experience are much more important.

Posted By: OSMANLI
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 14:31
I think a changing the bourders not only of the ME but the whole of the Muslim world would be ideal. Even in Islamic terms, thus in a Ummah Union there will ofcourse be provinces. The re-drawing of our bourders will work to our advantage instead of the current borders, which were made to fit the ideals of the west.

Examples of better borders; Ash-Sham, Al-Maghrabi, Turkistan, Al-Hijaz etc

-------------

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 17:20
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Religion is a small aspect of life, culture and national experience are much more important.

I agree.  The instinct for Tribalism and Nationalism have been with us for tens of thousands of years.  This instinct is not going to disappear.  Neither Islam, Christianity or Buddhism has managed to erase this instinct.  In fact, with the coming economic realignment of the world, mass migration and religous tensions, nationalism could get much worse.

In my opinion, any talk of a "Global Caliphate" by large numbers of Moslems is not only based on unrealistic romanticism, but such talk can also exacerbate other issues such as the migration of Moslems to The West and both the Indian and Chinese relations with the Moslem world.

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 17:52
Dan,

I think that's too simplistic a way of looking at things.  People living in different states have had different experiences

This argument would actually go against your claims, because if we look at the last 1400 years, we'll find that for 1300 odd years they had a common experience (most of them) and only for the past 50-100 years have the nation states existed in which they've had different experiences.

Look at what happened when Egypt tried to unite with Syria in Nasser's time-- they clashed and broke apart because of intrigues, differences, etc.

Again, if we look closer, this point would also go against your claim. Nasser tried to unite the Arabs based on irreligious nationalism and he failed miserably. This only highlights the fact that Muslims must unite based on Islam, and not on Arab nationalism, or secularism or any other artificial ideology which they don't really hold in their hearts.

Religion is a small aspect of life, culture and national experience are much more important

Perhaps from the Western experience this is correct. But the Muslim experience is very different, and until Westerners recognise this fact, they'll never understand Muslims or be able to engage in a serious and beneficial dialogue with us. Religion is the central point in the lives of most Muslims, even those who have adopted secularism are still far more focused on religion than the average Westerner.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 19:59
I agree. The instinct for Tribalism and Nationalism have been with us for tens of thousands of years.

And religion hasn't? I really don't understand the importance of this sentance or what its meant to mean.

Religion has existed since humans were created, monotheism isn't new, it's existed in many societies across the world as Allah has given guidance to humanity since the beginning.

Muslims believe that Islam has been in existance since the creation of mankind because Islam is about the submission to the creater and no other idolism or deity worship.

Their is a misconception that monotheism is only a middle-eastern and relatively new concept. Many ancient religions were originally "monothiest".

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 20:07
TGR,

The definition you provided was your own as well or at least or the interpretation of your religion by someone other than you

I never stated peace was the objective of religion. Islam brings peace to the soul, but it does not allow Muslims to be subjugated by their enemies, and call that peace.

I can ask you the same question. Who are you to speak for Muslims when you claim that all 1.4 billion of them wish to be unified and live as citizens of a single nation-state?

Well I'm one of those 1.4 billion for start. I'm assuming you're not, so this gives me quite a headstart over you.

The Turks are nationalists. The Iranians are nationalists. The Afghans are nationalists. The Pakistanis are nationalists. The Iraqis are nationalists. The Palestinians are nationalists. The Libyans are nationalists. All the Gulf Arabs are nationalists.

That's the biggest sentence of blanket statements I've seen in my life. Can you elaborate more on this.. do you believe 100% of those populations you mentioned are "nationalist"? 50%? 25%?

If these peoples were not nationalistic or did not have a history of nationalism, then why are there 19 Arab states

Why not ask the architects of Sykes-Picot?

Now you are again blaming foreigners for the problems in the Middle East? How unexpected

The current Middle East is a product of their design, why wouldn't we hold them accountable for the mess it's in?

There was a recent study done in Iran in which 88% of Iranian youth stated that they were non-religious

Which American think tank was the study conducted by? Even if it were the case, it wouldn't detract one iota from my ideas anyway, because I clearly mentioned Iran isn't included.

The number of Muslim women who engage in pre-marital sex with non-Muslim men is countless

Yeh you wish.

I think this would qualify them as being only nominally Muslim. The number of Muslim men who consume alcohol (and deny it in the company of other Muslims) is common as well, only a minority of Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan

Do you have some evidence for this? Or just another wild claim?

Afghanistan was carved out of Iran by the Durrani tribe to function as a Pashtun state independent of the Persians. That is one example

When was that? And who carved it out?

During Ottoman rule, the Albanian Muslims sought independence from the Caliphate

Already answered by someone else.

Did you want me to list any more?

If they're going to be as relevant as the ones you listed, don't waste your time.

Do you think once this occurs that the Turks and Kurds will embrace as brothers? Will too the Arabs and Persians? The Iraqis and Kuwaitis? The Sudanese Arabs and the Black African Muslims of Darfur?

Yes.

This is Islamist propaganda. The history of Arab-Turkish, Arab-Persian, Turkish-Persian, Persian-Mughal, Afghan-Mughal, Arab-African, etc. conflict lies both prior to the advent of Islam and was very present during the time of the Caliphate

So, as I asked, give us some examples.

No, they do not. The Muslims are the most impoverished peoples in the world. Name one Muslim-majority country that has a viable economy independent of oil exports. Do you think the Gulf Arab states and Libya can survive once their oil fields run empty?

Pakistan is quite resource rich and is independant in many aspects of its food production and weapons manufacturing. I could go through a few other countries if you like, but the fact we possess a large % of the worlds most used resource is enough in itself. Don't forget the gas rich regions of central asia.

Too bad our puppet rulers are handing all our resources over to the West, and you still insist they're not puppets.

Yes, but I have never read an Islamist-inspired history book. Have you?

Ahhh, so all Islamic history books are invalid, whilst all Western history books are valid. Nice..

Except that the Arabs are so backward that they cannot help but feel sorry for themselves for 60-plus years

Agreed.

Are you going to tell me that Maskadhov was an American stooge as well

He was a stooge yes, but he later made repentance and fought sincerely for Islam.

Al-Assad and Qadhafi are both Arab nationalists and support terrorists Islamist organizations (you can call them freedom fighters or resistance fighters but when they blow up children and civilians alike –Muslim and non-Muslim – they are nothing but terrorists)

Come on, these two guys are famous for slaughtering and torturing Muslims, not supporting them. You really need to do some homework.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 20:11
Even if a majority of Muslims were as pious and union-minded as you claim, the same problems would arise that grated between Syria and Egypt:  Who gets to be dominant?  Whose way of doing things?  etc.

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 21:22
Dan,

Even if a majority of Muslims were as pious and union-minded as you claim, the same problems would arise that grated between Syria and Egypt

The established history we have so far tends to indicate otherwise. 1300 odd years largely united on the basis of Islam. Compared with just 1 feeble attempt in the post-Islamic era based on nationalism and secularism.

Who gets to be dominant?

The entities I think you're proposing as vying for dominance would cease to exist, so which one would get to be dominant would not even be an issue.

Whose way of doing things?  etc

The Islamic way. Not the Syrian way, not the Egyptian way, not the <insert whoever> way, the Islamic way. Islam is the basis for unity, and it would replace all of the rotten and corrupted systems in place now, which all, without exception come from the former colonialist masters.

This is how Islam began, and it's how it will return.

It's not a matter of how, it's only a matter of when.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 22:26
Yes, 1300 years of history in premodern times though.

By all means, I think the boundaries of the middle east & muslim worlds are artificial, but erasing difference is not the solution either.   Whether or not you admit they exist..

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 22:53
Yes, 1300 years of history in premodern times though.

Premodern is a term which is only really relative from the Western perspective. The term doesn't have really the same meaning in the Islamic world. Either way, it still doesn't change the fact that all throughout our history, most of our lands have been united, politically, culturally and socially.

By all means, I think the boundaries of the middle east & muslim worlds are artificial, but erasing difference is not the solution either

Why isn't it? They've been imposed upon us by outsiders, and yes a few insiders too. Why isn't reversing that disaster the solution? Of course for Westerners it isn't the solution, as it would be a giant threat to your hegemony. It doesn't surprise me you'd be arguing against it.

Whether or not you admit they exist..

Well I think anyone can see some differences exist. For instance between Morrocans and Indoesians, there's a wide gap. But that gap is made wider in an artificial way by the artificial political divisions. The difference between most Arabs is no bigger than the difference between Americans who live in different states, in many cases, probably even less.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 01:36
I'm not against it because I am pro-Western.  I wouldn't say that I am against it or for it (this Islamic union),  since I don't think it will happen.  I just have Muslim friends from different parts of the world who resent Muslims from other parts of the world.  You might say that they are not true Muslims but they have many rational (if unfortunate) reasons for the resentment that don't just stem from European colonialism.

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 06:41
You might say that they are not true Muslims but they have many rational (if unfortunate) reasons for the resentment that don't just stem from European colonialism

Well no I wouldn't say they're not Muslims. There's no such thing as true Muslims and false Muslims (i guess would be the opposite.

Either you're Muslim or you're not. What I would suggest is though that they're probably not very educated Muslims.

And I've never said every single problem comes from European Colonialism. Obviously we already had problems to begin with, for European Colonialism to have been able to get in the door.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 11:02
Oh well, if even 2 muslim countries would join together and live in peace I would think it was a good thing, perhaps as American power weakens over time there *will* be changes in the region..

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 17:15
if even 2 muslim countries would join together and live in peace I would think it was a good thing

The "live in peace" part is what worries me. Do you mean by this they'll just  re-integrate back into the Western scheme of things in the region as a new combined nation? Because this is most certainly not my vision, nor the vision of those who seek unification of the Islamic lands.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 17:52

I never stated peace was the objective of religion. Islam brings peace to the soul, but it does not allow Muslims to be subjugated by their enemies, and call that peace.

I never stated that the Islamic Nation or any other did not have the right to defend itself, furthermore, I also never stated that the Arabs of Palestine, the Kurds, etc., or any other Muslim or non-Muslim peoples did not have the right to self-determination.

Well I'm one of those 1.4 billion for start. I'm assuming you're not, so this gives me quite a headstart over you.

You're one of 1.4 billion. Does that give you the right to speak on their behalf?

And although I still respect Muslims to the fullest, and hold Islam dear, I am very content not being a member of that community.

PS: I'm not amused with your rhetoric.  

That's the biggest sentence of blanket statements I've seen in my life. Can you elaborate more on this.. do you believe 100% of those populations you mentioned are "nationalist"? 50%? 25%?

Have you ever been to Albania, Turkey, or Iran? Do you really believe the majority of those populations place Islam ahead of their national or ethnic identity?

Happy reading, muchacho:

http://www.iranian.com/Jan96/Opinion/SecularNationalism.html - http://www.iranian.com/Jan96/Opinion/SecularNationalism.html

http://www.iranian.ws/cgi-bin/iran_news/exec/view.cgi/2/1639 - http://www.iranian.ws/cgi-bin/iran_news/exec/view.cgi/2/1639

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=6690 - http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=6690

http://www.country-studies.com/albania/the-rise-of-albanian-nationalism.html - http://www.country-studies.com/albania/the-rise-of-albanian-nationalism.html

Why not ask the architects of Sykes-Picot?

Again, blaming others for your woes? Vay Khoda! :(

The current Middle East is a product of their design, why wouldn't we hold them accountable for the mess it's in?

It doesn't mean that the current problems of the Middle East can be directly credited to them. The problems of the Middle East are caused by backwardness, radicalism, corruption, lack of education, and a refusal on the part of the Arab Nation to recognize the state of Israel.

If I get an arranged marriage and you play the middleman and introduce me to my bride and her family, and our marriage does not work out –who is to blame, my wife and I, or you?

Which American think tank was the study conducted by? Even if it were the case, it wouldn't detract one iota from my ideas anyway, because I clearly mentioned Iran isn't included.

I believe it was either the Cato Institute or the Center for American Progress. Both are center-left politically and advocate dialogue over conflict with Iran.

Yeh you wish.

Yes, I will pretend that Muslim women in the West, in the Gulf States, and every other part of the Muslim world do not engage in such acts. I will also pretend that my Muslim girlfriend did engage in this sort of behavior with me while she was on her period during Ramadan, and then I will pretend that she did not tell me that it would be okay since she was bleeding. I will also pretend that I have never seen an Arab, Iranian, Afghan, Pakistani, or Turkish girl with a White American or Black American boyfriend. Yes, I will walk around with my head in the clouds and also pretend that the sun does not rise in the east and set in the west.

Do you have some evidence for this? Or just another wild claim?

Whoaaaaa! Are you serious, dude?

When was that? And who carved it out?

After the irrational you've shown, you're asking me for proof? Have you any proof of your claims?? Or should I consider the I am one of those 1.4 billion BS, sufficient?

You and I both know what happens in the Islamic community.

Already answered by someone else.

Next time, conduct your own research, kid. Albanian nationalism and Albanian expressions for freedom were not the works of the Albanian Christians alone who comprise less than 17% of all Albanians (when the total Albanian populations of Albania, Kosovo, Western Macedonia, northern Greece, Italy, and others in the Diaspora are factored in), secular Albanian Muslims were also at the forefront in opposing Ottoman rule.

If they're going to be as relevant as the ones you listed, don't waste your time.

You failed to answer the question. I will assume that you had no counterargument and take it as an admission of defeat on your part.

So, as I asked, give us some examples.

I gave you examples. You refused to acknowledge them.

Pakistan is quite resource rich and is independant in many aspects of its food production and weapons manufacturing.

Whose arse did you manage to pull this BS from? Did that arse belong to one General Pervez Musharaff?

Food production is not a natural resource, and last I checked, Pakistan imported weaponry and artillery from friendly Western nations, i.e. the United States. Try again.

I could go through a few other countries if you like, but the fact we possess a large % of the worlds most used resource is enough in itself. Don't forget the gas rich regions of central asia.

Turkmenistan? Yes.

Kazakhstan? Yes.

Uzbekistan? Maybe.

Tajikistan? Hell No.

Kyrgyzstan? Nope.

Too bad our puppet rulers are handing all our resources over to the West, and you still insist they're not puppets.

Only in the minds of the Islamists is this true.

Pretend that you have a commodity, say oil. In order for you to benefit from this resource, you need a buyer, correct? Because keeping it under lock and key and not selling it to anyone is not going to benefit you or feed your family. So what do you do? You will find a buyer, and you will sell him this commodity for as much as you can get. Who is the buyer that can offer you the most in return? It is the West.

Welcome to Economics 101, genius: simple DEMAND and SUPPLY structure.

Ahhh, so all Islamic history books are invalid, whilst all Western history books are valid. Nice..

Did I say that? Where did I say that?

I insinuated that the ISLAMIST viewpoints, written records were biased. I never said anything about Islamic textbooks, genius.

He was a stooge yes, but he later made repentance and fought sincerely for Islam.

Maskhadov was in the Soviet military, but upon Chechnya declaring independence, he disavowed all allegiances to Moscow.

Is every head of Islamic state that you do not agree with, an agent of the West? You don't have to answer that I already know the answer.

Come on, these two guys are famous for slaughtering and torturing Muslims, not supporting them. You really need to do some homework.

The Baathists are Arab nationalists; Muammar al-Qadhafi is a self-proclaimed Arab nationalist. Do your own homework, genius:

http://people.africadatabase.org/en/profile/2064.html - http://people.africadatabase.org/en/profile/2064.html

http://www.workmall.com/wfb2001/syria/syria_history_world_war_i_and_arab_nationalism.html - http://www.workmall.com/wfb2001/syria/syria_history_world_war_i_and_arab_nationalism.html

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 22:30
You're one of 1.4 billion. Does that give you the right to speak on their behalf?

The Islamic texts and shari'ah is what speaks on their behalf, I'm simply conveying what it says.

Have you ever been to Albania, Turkey, or Iran? Do you really believe the majority of those populations place Islam ahead of their national or ethnic identity?

No I have not been to any of those countries, but then again I wasn't the one making the blanket statements about what these people supposedly believe and don't believe. What I know is they are majority Muslims, and therefore one can assume they adopt the Islamic beliefs and ideology, which I've presented to you. You've made the claim they don't sincerely believe in it, and are just "nominally muslim", therefore the onus of proof would be on you.

And the links you gave are not really sufficient. Again you've provided links to how irreligious Iranians are, when I've clearly stated about 5 times already in the course of this thread that the Iranians are not included in my statements.

Also the link about Albania actually proved my point:

"Formidable barriers frustrated Albanian leaders' efforts to instill in their people an Albanian rather than an Ottoman identity. Divided into four vilayets, Albanians had no common geographical or political nerve center."

As this quote shows, the Albanians prior to the breakup of the Ottoman Caliphate didn't even have their own identity, they just considered themselves Ottomans (Muslims, from the Millet Muslimeen). And that the nationalist leaders (no doubt Western cultured leaders at that) had to work hard to instill the idea of nationalism into them. Thanks for bolstering my argument.

I didn't bother about the other links, as I assumed they'd be about as relevant.

Again, blaming others for your woes? Vay Khoda! :(

Are you even aware what Sykes-Picot is? Did you know it's the committee that drew the borders for most of the Arab states you mentioned? How is it blaming others, if I directed you to ask those who drew up those Arab states, why they existed? I think it was quite a reasonable request.

If I get an arranged marriage and you play the middleman and introduce me to my bride and her family, and our marriage does not work out –who is to blame, my wife and I, or you?

If the parties of the marriage were not willing participants to the marriage (that would make the analogy more precise) then yes, the middleman could most definitely be blamed.

I will also pretend that my Muslim girlfriend did engage in this sort of behavior with me while she was on her period during Ramadan, and then I will pretend that she did not tell me that it would be okay since she was bleeding

Let me guess.. She was washing down a ham sandwich with a beer at the same time right?

Keep dreaming.

secular Albanian Muslims were also at the forefront in opposing Ottoman rule

As your link above showed, they had to work quite hard to dupe the people into believing their anti-Ottoman tripe also... you are your own worst enemy in this discussion. I need not even try to counter your points, just wait for you to post links that do the job for me.

Welcome to Economics 101, genius: simple DEMAND and SUPPLY structure

When you have the vast majority of that resource, you can ask whatever price you want for it, or even better don't give it to your enemies altogether. Is this what we see from the so called Muslim leaders? Or do we see them hand it over to the enemies of the Muslims virtually for free.

Maskhadov was in the Soviet military, but upon Chechnya declaring independence, he disavowed all allegiances to Moscow

He initially betrayed the Islamic resistance and made a peace deal with the Russians. He later regretted and made repentance for that, and joined with the Islamic Resistance.

The Baathists are Arab nationalists; Muammar al-Qadhafi is a self-proclaimed Arab nationalist. Do your own homework, genius

Well genius you just proved my point. They're Arab Nationalists and not Islamists. They've both had records of torturing Muslims from Islamist (what you'd probably call terrorist) movements and also slaughtering them. Bashar's father even incinerated an entire town once because some of the Muslim Brotherhood members in that town called for the return of the Islamic ruling system.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 16:43
I have to add that most of these "research institute" reports are distant from reality and just make's some people in the West feel better thinking that the people in Iran are all with the West, hate their regime and are fighting hard to get rid of it.

The reality is quite different, the regime in Iran domestically is quite succesfull, most people are fine with it and alot support it.

In Turkey, the populace is pretty religous and see's religion as something beautiful, due to their conversion being due to Sufi and the Sufi thinkers views being trasmitted to mainstream society, their view is that "Allah loves and they love Allah" this ofcourse can make them see sometimes a little less religous as they're not as dogmatic generally. However, go to any village and you'll see a number of mosque's, people are generally pretty conservative and have Islamic values.

I've never been to Albania so I don't know but most Kosovans I know have Islamic values and belief.

-------------
Albert Pine

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 16:51
I dont know about albania but I think at Turkey or Iran majority of people care their religion more than nation.(I think we had a pool about this)

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 16:59
Alot of people in Turkey feel that theyre nation and religion do not conflict, they're proud/care about both.

-------------
Albert Pine

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 17:47
Originally posted by Bulldog

I've never been to Albania so I don't know but most Kosovans I know have Islamic values and belief.

i have also noted this, the kosovars carry their islamic identity better then the Albanian nationals.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 17:53
Qutuz

At the end it comes down to two types of muslims, everything else can be ignored. There are those who are muslims before being a turk/arab/african etc.. and those that are turk/arab/african before muslims.

One of the basic goals of islamic society is to create equality among the various nationals without loosing its pluralism. It demands that you be muslim before all else.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 22:39

Originally posted by Mortaza

I dont know about albania but I think at Turkey or Iran majority of people care their religion more than nation.(I think we had a pool about this)

Due to Communist policies which promoted atheism, the Albanians -Muslim, Catholic, and Orthodox Christian -place their ethnic and national identity ahead of their religion.

Originally posted by malizai_

One of the basic goals of islamic society is to create equality among the various nationals without loosing its pluralism. It demands that you be muslim before all else. 

You and I both know that this is an ideal and not practiced.

Alot of people in Turkey feel that theyre nation and religion do not conflict, they're proud/care about both.

Then why is Turkey the most secular state in the Islamic world?

There is a difference between having religious values and beliefs, and practicing those beliefs.

The Islamic texts and shari'ah is what speaks on their behalf, I'm simply conveying what it says.

I'm sorry; I didn't realize you were an Islamic scholar. How long have you been in the practice of interpreting others' religious beliefs? I think a better question would be, how long have you been in the business of spewing nonsense?

No I have not been to any of those countries, but then again I wasn't the one making the blanket statements about what these people supposedly believe and don't believe. What I know is they are majority Muslims, and therefore one can assume they adopt the Islamic beliefs and ideology, which I've presented to you. You've made the claim they don't sincerely believe in it, and are just "nominally muslim", therefore the onus of proof would be on you.

Okay, then by utilizing your irrational use of logic, it can be inferred that since the Muslim-majority countries of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Albania, Turkey, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, etc. are secular nations, that the Muslim populations of these countries are largely nominal. See how silly your logic is, genius?

And the links you gave are not really sufficient. Again you've provided links to how irreligious Iranians are, when I've clearly stated about 5 times already in the course of this thread that the Iranians are not included in my statements.

Iranians are not included in your statements because like most other Salafists, you consider them heretics. Great way to practice the Muslim unity you preach, mullah.

Also the link about Albania actually proved my point:

"Formidable barriers frustrated Albanian leaders' efforts to instill in their people an Albanian rather than an Ottoman identity. Divided into four vilayets, Albanians had no common geographical or political nerve center."

As this quote shows, the Albanians prior to the breakup of the Ottoman Caliphate didn't even have their own identity, they just considered themselves Ottomans (Muslims, from the Millet Muslimeen). And that the nationalist leaders (no doubt Western cultured leaders at that) had to work hard to instill the idea of nationalism into them. Thanks for bolstering my argument.

I didn't bother about the other links, as I assumed they'd be about as relevant.

The Salafists have taught you well, you are very adept at manipulation. Read the entire text in the context in which it was presented. The Ottomans tried to use Islam to divide the Albanian nationalist movement that sought independence; history proves that this Ottoman policy failed.

Read the other links, maybe you won't be so close-minded.

Are you even aware what Sykes-Picot is? Did you know it's the committee that drew the borders for most of the Arab states you mentioned? How is it blaming others, if I directed you to ask those who drew up those Arab states, why they existed? I think it was quite a reasonable request.

The nation-states in the Americas were not drawn up by foreign European powers? India? Pakistan? Indochina? Central Asia? Sub-Saharan Africa? Eastern Europe? What makes the Arabs so much different? Why is there predicament so special? Do tell.

If the parties of the marriage were not willing participants to the marriage (that would make the analogy more precise) then yes, the middleman could most definitely be blamed.

Were the Spaniards and Portuguese willing participants to Arab-Berber savagery? Were the Hindus willing participants? Were the Serbs, Croats, Macedonians, Bulgarians, Georgians, Armenians, and Jews also willing participants? 

Let me guess.. She was washing down a ham sandwich with a beer at the same time right?

Keep dreaming.

Not cute. I'm not going to stop you from living in your fantasy world in which you believe that racism, premarital sex, and alcohol consumption are non-existent, and Islam is the law of the land.

As your link above showed, they had to work quite hard to dupe the people into believing their anti-Ottoman tripe also... you are your own worst enemy in this discussion. I need not even try to counter your points, just wait for you to post links that do the job for me.

Yes, everything that doesn't go the Salafist way is a manipulation of the Christian West. Brav

te]Welcome to Economics 101, genius: simple DEMAND and SUPPLY structure[/quote]

When you have the vast majority of that resource, you can ask whatever price you want for it, or even better don't give it to your enemies altogether. Is this what we see from the so called Muslim leaders? Or do we see them hand it over to the enemies of the Muslims virtually for free.

You cannot charge whatever the Hell you want, genius. You can only charge what the market is willing to pay.

He initially betrayed the Islamic resistance and made a peace deal with the Russians. He later regretted and made repentance for that, and joined with the Islamic Resistance.

Bullsh*t. Where is your proof?

Well genius you just proved my point. They're Arab Nationalists and not Islamists. Bashar's father even incinerated an entire town once because some of the Muslim Brotherhood members in that town called for the return of the Islamic ruling system.

Salafist-inspired Islamism, genius –has replaced Arab nationalism, unless you're having delusions that Syria and Libya no longer, and have never supported radical Islamist movements in the Middle East and greater Islamic world, i.e. the PLO, Fatah, Hezbollah.

They've both had records of torturing Muslims from Islamist (what you'd probably call terrorist) movements and also slaughtering them.

I don't think that all Islamists are terrorists and I do not believe terrorism and Islamism are interchangeable terms. I believe that there are legitimate resistance movements that target only opposing military factions, and I believe there are terrorist organizations that are inspired by religion, i.e. Al Qaeda in Iraq, Al Qaeda international, HAMAS in the territories, Hindutva in India, Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, Chetniks in the former Yugoslavia, etc., I also believe there are states which sponsor terrorist activities under the guise of military maneuvers, i.e. the Israeli Defense Forces targeting of Arabs, the Red Chinese Army's occupation of East Turkistan, Tibet, and Inner Mongolia, the terrorism inflicted by the Russian Army against the Chechens, etc., need anymore clarification, muchacho?

btw: Next time, try to counter all the arguments instead of the only ones you can irrationally think up a retort for. Thanks, genius.

Posted By: Arbër Z
Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 05:40

As an Albanian I want to explain some things.

Albanians (wherever they live) are characterised by a strong national (ethnical, mainly linguistical ad traditional) identity, which they put before the religious identity. Of course not all of them , but a strong majority.

This identity was not a product of the XIX century and the independentists. The Albanian folclore, and the epic tales, which date before the XVIII century are full of wars with the turks, or with the slavs, and these songs/tales, were always told to the children through the times. (Read the Songs of the Border Warriors etc)

The battles of Gjergj Kastrioti Skanderbeg against the turks were always remembered with pride, by the albanians be they muslim or christian. There exist some epic cycles on Skanderbeg, and even some of the Canon Codes are named after the warlords who fought the turks. (The Canon of Skanderbeg, the Canon of Leka Dukagjini etc.)

The movement for independence (which before was a movement for autonomy) from the Ottoman Empire was not a religious movement, nut a national one. The people who partecipated were albanians, regardless the religion.

It is not true that Communism forced the albanians to become atheists. Forced atheism, or something similar existed even in other communist countries, but this fenomenon is albanian. Even in Kosova, Montenegro or Macedonia they identify themselves firstly as albanians, then as muslim or catholics. Those who visited the albanian lands in the XIX century or in the beginning of the XX century testimony this (Lord Byron, Miss Edith Durham etc). I am not saying that the albanians do not practice the religion, but I am saying that for them the national identity is more important. They always intermarried between reigions, but only rarely intermarried with other nations.

-------------
Prej heshtjes...!

Posted By: Vivek Sharma
Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 06:29
This is heights of amusement. Pakistan was formed for the Indian muslims, but they oppressed the poor & militarily weak muslim bangladeshis so much that India had to intervene & cut pakistan into two.

The afghans are so fierce & independent minded that it is only a matter of time before they unite back with their country again in to a united Afghanistan.

Same for the baloochis, they are also muslims, but crying or independence.

The kashmiris are crying for independence from the oppressive rule of pakistan.

The differences are too many to sort out to have a united islamic empire.

Even in the olden times in almost every few generations, there were cases of relatives of the muslims kings murdering each other to claim the throne. All of them were muslims.

-------------
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Posted By: shayan
Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 15:05
LOL! Here is one Iranian who cares more about Our Nation then about Islam, and so are there many with me ;) specially the younger generation same in Turkey, but like the guy who made this thread said, Iran is excluded (luckely) in his ummah thing :) Iranians or Turks will never never never never never ever give up there language for Arabic, there culture for Arabic culture there ways of doing things for Arabic ways of doing things which is one of the main things of this Ummah thing ;) Ask a TUrk  or AN Iranian randomly on the streets about this and they will all answer they are first Iranian or Turk and then muslim ( if not before muslim a political ideology like monarchist(Iran) socialist, liberal or pragmatist) Just make sure you make yourself some arab ummah instead of a muslim one cuzz i m not seeing Turks joining it ;)

-------------
Iran parast

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 15:57
TheGR
Then why is Turkey the most secular state in the Islamic world?

Turkey has its own "interpretation" of secularism LOL 

It this example of governance was introduced into some Western Secular state's they could really debate it's level of "Secularism."

Firstly, Turkey isn't Jacobite, it has a more liberal view of secularism. It has a "Ministry of Religous Affairs" which is run by Islamic scholors.

Turkish view of secularism is, seperation of State and Religion, ie people cannot use and manipulate religion to win votes and give empty promises, the state is not "divine" and cannot claim to be connected to the "divine". However, most Turks also are to some degree "religous" in other words they don't hate or feel oppressed by religion.

You have to go there to see it, its very interesting, the society can seem pretty religous and conservative but it doesn't feel oppressive, like you see head-scarf and non-headscarf woman walking holding hands as friends and nobody turns their head. A guy who drinks Raki does so with his friend who doesn't drink. There are "family areas" and you musn't violate the codes and conducts in these areas. Then there are male or female only places, like the Coffee-House, Turkish Baths, in the home etc Basically, it seems pretty laid back and relaxed, people are convervative/religous generally, if your not religous people don't bother you.

TheGR
There is a difference between having religious values and beliefs, and practicing those beliefs.

How can we measure this though? at Juma, there are many Kosovan's, alot of them fast and have religous values. However, I don't live with them so I can't actually say that they're this or that, as such descriptions are down to the individual you can't label a whole nation in such a manner.

-------------
Albert Pine

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 16:51

How can we measure this though? at Juma, there are many Kosovan's, alot of them fast and have religous values. However, I don't live with them so I can't actually say that they're this or that, as such descriptions are down to the individual you can't label a whole nation in such a manner.

We cannot measure each and every person's degree of religious values or conservatism; however, we are able to draw certain conclusions by utilizing proven scientific methods for gathering data, i.e. taking sample populations, comparing systems of governance, and the influences of religion in politics and communities, etc.

For example, we can conclude from the rate of inter-religious marriages, regular attendance at prayers, secular forms of government, and the enforcement of atheist policies by past Communist regimes in the Balkans that the Bosnian and Albanian Muslims tend to abide by Islamic principles far less than their co-religionists in the Arabian Peninsula, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. The latter countries have a strong and visible history of theocratic tradition, inter-religious marriages are the exception and not the norm, the state and daily life is directly influenced by Islam, an interpretation of Islamic principles, and other visible factors.

btw: I attended university with a Turkish fellow from Istanbul, his name was "Ismet" (correct spelling?), and I've heard nothing but good things about Turkey and the wonderful Turkish people. Insh'allah, I would love to visit your country -if you're offering me an invite, that is. Tongue

Posted By: çok geç
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 03:38
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

This is heights of amusement. Pakistan was formed for the Indian muslims, but they oppressed the poor & militarily weak muslim bangladeshis so much that India had to intervene & cut pakistan into two.
too much propoganda. Bangladish independance was due to Urdu institution in Bangladish and neglecting the Bangal different identity, language, and culture. Of course there have been violations during the struggle of Bangladish independance.
Your picutre of the conflict sounds too simple. Bangladish response to forcing an outside Pakistani culture is the same as Mizorams respond to what they perceive as forced Indian culture, language, and habits on them with their neglected region by the central government despite they have the highest literacy rate of all of Indian's states. Bangladish or Mizoramis or any other people will do the same when they feel their culture and region is neglected.

The kashmiris are crying for independence from the oppressive rule of pakistan.
Is this why India occupy them without giving independance or even accepting a general poll to vote on independance?

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 03:50
Again a predictable stand from Cok Gec. First get your facts right. Do some homework & then Post.

Maybe you could ask the Bangladeshi embassy in  God knows which country you are from about their freedom form their oppressive rulers.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 03:52
Sorry I saw you are from Saudi. You could ask the embassy in Saudi.

-------------

Posted By: kingofmazanderan
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 06:44

Qutuz TheGR is right about Afghanistan it was one of Nader shahs generals who after his assassination went and seperated Afghanistan from Iran. 

Honestly i think both Qutuz and The GR are right about some things and wrong about some things. 

First TheGR hey you may have bin correct about the Afghanistan thing but wait a minute.Its already known by almost every person who lives in the middle East that most of our problems are caused by the western powers (mainly England and U.S. and Russia).  TheGR i hate to say it, but it just seems like you are one of those persons from the U.S. who is totally not seeing what is going on.

Date Posted: 23-Nov-2006 at 22:06
Problems are not caused by Western Powers. They just take advantage of your / our problems for their benefit. Problems are caused by our own people.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Nov-2006 at 22:14
Problems are not caused by Western Powers. They just take advantage of your / our problems for their benefit. Problems are caused by our own people.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2006 at 13:03

Yes, just as the problems of poverty, illiteracy, AIDS, child prostitution, and discrimination against Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, and low caste Hindus, are the problems of the people of India and were not caused by the British.

Please, take your Hindu nationalist agenda elsewhere.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=2937&FID=19 -

You're correct in that some of the problems in the Middle East today were caused by Western colonialism and Western corporate interests, I just feel that it is time to move on. Middle Eastern nations ought to stop feeling sorry for themselves and begin to address the issues instead of constantly placing the blame elsewhere.

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 22:18

Again a predictable stand from Cok Gec. First get your facts right. Do some homework & then Post.

Maybe you could ask the Bangladeshi embassy in  God knows which country you are from about their freedom form their oppressive rulers.

instead of using vulgar language that does not enhance  your arguement, why not pack up your statement with pointing out where do you disagree precisely and what do you think is the right information.
Otherwise, everybody is capable of stating what you posted without the ability to counter argue.
Notice I did not ask you to be polite or modify your language. Rather, I asked you to invest more time in responding to posts.

Sorry I saw you are from Saudi. You could ask the embassy in Saudi.
and I see you are from India, so no wonder you didn't like what I posted.
I would just repeat what a forumer has already requested you to do gently:

Originally posted by The Grim Reaper

Please, take your Hindu nationalist agenda elsewhere.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Posted By: TeldeInduz
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 16:55
Originally posted by cok gec

too much propoganda. Bangladish independance was due to Urdu institution in Bangladish and neglecting the Bangal different identity, language, and culture. Of course there have been violations during the struggle of Bangladish independence

There is also some propaganda in this. Here's some reasons why..

Bangladish independance was due to Urdu institution in Bangladish
Urdu was made the official language of West & East Pakistan after it formed. The Muslim League which was headed by Jinnah and some others made it absolutely clear that Urdu was to be the official language of Pakistan when the people voted for its formation. Jinnah repeated this in a speech in East Pakistan after Pakistan had formed. The calls for Bengali to be made an official language of Pakistan went silent for a while, but then returned and in 1953, Bengali was made an official language of Pakistan along with Urdu. Note here that no other Pakistani language (Punjabi, Pashto, Sindhi, Balochi etc) were designated as official languages. 

neglecting the Bangal different identity, language, and culture.
Bengal did have a seperate cultural identity to Punjabis, Pashtuns etc, but so do Pashtuns have different cutures and traditions to say Sindhis or even to an extent Balochis or Punjabis..It was the basis of two nation theory that religion would override any forms of nationalism based on culture, and it was two nation theory that was accepted by most of the East Bengali people when they voted for the Muslim League and to be part of the East wing of Pakistan in the 1946 count.  

Of course there have been violations during the struggle of Bangladish independence

This is true though it should be pointed out that violations were not only committed by West Pakistani Army troops, but also by the Bengali Muktihi Bahini (resistance group) on the Bihari population of East Pakistan. There is no such thing a war free from these violations, but they went both ways and neither the Army or the Bangladeshi groups can claim the moral high ground on this.

Your picutre of the conflict sounds too simple. Bangladish response to forcing an outside Pakistani culture is the same as Mizorams respond to what they perceive as forced Indian culture, language, and habits on them with their neglected region by the central government despite they have the highest literacy rate of all of Indian's states. Bangladish or Mizoramis or any other people will do the same when they feel their culture and region is neglected.

There was something unique about the Bangladeshi movement. There was a lot of nationalism there of course, but they deny the right they base for their independence to the people of the Chittagong Hill Tracts. But you're right it's a perception, and when I present the facts that the majority of Pakistan's leaders up till '71 had been Bengali, the excuse of political domination and exploitation takes a backseat and economic deprivation comes out. Though there is no proof of economic deprivation either since the base of Pakistan's economy at independence was private industry that happened to locate to Karachi which would become the financial centre of Pakistan (and still is). 

kashmiris are crying for independence from the oppressive rule of pakistan.

Is this why India occupy them without giving independance or even accepting a general poll to vote on independance?

This is true. India is denying the Kashmiris plebiscite and has done since Partition. Pakistan is all to eager for a plebiscite to be held in Kashmir, as the result is a foregone conclusion, even with the increasing numbers of Hindus being forced into Kashmir to try to change the demographics.

-------------
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 22:40

Yes, it is definitely a perception thing and nationalists anywhere on earth will exploit all opportunities in acheiving their goals of a national boundry state. Those opportunities exploited by nationalists were best presented by the 1970 poor response of the central Pakistani government to the cyclone that hit Bangladesh and later (very soon) the block of Mujibu Al Rahman's party from office despite gaining a parliment majority.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 08:33

Originally posted by çok geç

Those opportunities exploited by nationalists were best presented by the 1970 poor response of the central Pakistani government to the cyclone that hit Bangladesh

The cyclone was one of the things that the Nationalists seized on. But this again is a matter of perception. Pakistan in 1970 was in no state to cope with the scale of the cyclone. Even today in Pakistan, an earthquake that was many times less destructive than the cyclone could not be coped with by the Pakistani government alone. This hasn't been seized upon by Kashmiri nationalists probably because they would side with Pakistan over India. But the same problem occurred in East Pakistan in 1970, Pakistan alone could not cope with the magnitude of what had happened. Dhakka radio was partly to blame for what happened because it forgot to tell anyone how strong the storm would be. This was presumably run by Bengalis from East Pakistan and not linked with the West Pakistani government.

Here's a summary of the scale of what happened

http://www.trivia-library.com/a/the-pakistan-cyclone-of-1970.htm

The medical teams from Singapore described the problems there were with getting access to the people

On arrival, they were warmly welcomed by Pakistan military and civil authorities. They established their base camp at the Airstrip and set up wireless communications for direct communication between the mission base headquarters and MINDEF. They encountered difficulties in the cyclone ravaged islands as motorised transport was quite impossible in the flood devastated areas. The main means of transport for the relief teams were bicycles, boats and helicopters.

"The mission was happy to receive good co-operation from the Pakistan military authorities which was in control of the affected areas," said CPT (Dr) Peter Chua, second-in-command of the mission.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/about_us/history/birth_of_saf/v03n11_history.html%20

I dont really see how the Pakistani government was able to cope with the scale of it. From what I read in TIME, Yahya Khan gave funds from his own pocket to assist with the effort ($9000), which isn't something most leaders do, but why be generous from his own pocket and then not at least try and look as if he was doing everything for the people in East Pakistan?

I think the cyclone was again used to further the nationalistic interests of the Awami League.

and later (very soon) the block of Mujibu Al Rahman's party from office despite gaining a parliment majority.

This one I definitely dont think is a legitimate reason. Mujib Rahman wanted to have a seperate country from West Pakistan except in foreign policy and defence..seperate economies etc. It's not possible to do this. The economy and foreign policy go together, so to have a country which had two states with two independent economies but the same foreign policy would have meant a weakened country, and a weakened economy (or so it was believed at the time). If Mujib Rahman had said that he wanted to have a united West and East Pakistan, same as before, noone would have minded and he could have taken office like the three Bengali leaders of Pakistan before then.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 11:27
Pakistan has been doomed from the start. The experiment of "Pakistan" has proven that a nation cannot survive based on commonality in religion alone. The Bengalis, Kashmiris, Punjabis, Sindhis, and Mohajirs - all of whom are an Indic peoples, and the Pashtuns, and Baluch - both of whom are an Iranic peoples - tried to unite under the green banner of Islam, but ultimately failed. If anything, this experiment has proved that borders need to be drawn along racial, ethnic, linguistic, tribal guidelines, and not just religion.

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 11:49

Pakistan has been doomed from the start. The experiment of "Pakistan" has proven that a nation cannot survive based on commonality in religion alone. The Bengalis, Kashmiris, Punjabis, Sindhis, and Mohajirs - all of whom are an Indic peoples, and the Pashtuns, and Baluch - both of whom are an Iranic peoples - tried to unite under the green banner of Islam, but ultimately failed. If anything, this experiment has proved that borders need to be drawn along racial, ethnic, linguistic, tribal guidelines, and not just religion.

LOL You obviously don't know Pakistan very well. If you tell a Pashtun in Pakistan about how Iranic he is, he'll look at you like you're stupid. The average person in Pakistan does not care about this sort of stuff. Pakistan is currently being invaded by a load of "Iranic" people from Afghanistan who are being issued id cards to keep an eye on them.

The Bengali situation was very different. They were promised their country would be the richest in the world if it were not for exploitation! They were promised that their country would be spinning golden threads of jute, but in reality recent history has shown that Pakistan has progressed more economically, despite sanctions being slapped on it for many years. The emotional nationalistic speeches as well as poverty was what brought around a mentality of being the victim in a conspiracy, but this in no way is the same mentality as felt in baloch or Pashtun territories. The seperation can in no ways have described as bad news for Pakistan, though at the time, it was thought this it seems. Anyhow, the idea of a country in two halves seperated by 1000 kms of hostile territory wasnt a good one.

The Kashmiris definitely do not want unification with India. They would be silly to go for an independent Kashmir, though it's possible they might prefer this, but many of them do want unification with Pakistan, especially Pakistani Kashmir Northern Areas. 

Pashtuns, well, Pakistani Pashtuns form most of the Army elite, and Afghani Pashtuns are flooding into Pakistan uncontrollably.

Balochis voted for Musharraf in the last election and even the leader of the Baloch Nationalist Party is on record as saying he doesn't want seperation from Pakistan. Punjabis don't, Sindhis generally don't though MQM are trying to stir up things.

There's really pretty much no popular support for any further unrest in Pakistan. There are more problems in neighbouring countries that are more likely to split up before Pakistan.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 13:35

You're confusing patriotism for nationalism. The Pashtuns and Baluch swear allegiance to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan -emphasis on "Islamic Republic" - however they still look towards Kabul as their capital, and not Islamabad. If the Iranian/Iranic population of Pakistan viewed themselves as "Pakistani" before they viewed themselves as Muslims and Pashtuns (a term that until recently was interchangeable with "Afghan"), then why did the Indic-dominated government of Pakistan create and support the Taliban? Why was the Indic-dominated government of Pakistan so in fear of a Pashtun or Baluch cessation that it chose to promote Islam in order to counterbalance the Pashtun and Baluch nationalistic desire? Why did the Pakistani government feel safer believing that religious-minded Iranic Muslims would not feel a need to secede from fellow Indic Muslims, whereas nationalistic Pashtuns and Baloch who placed their ethnicity ahead of their religion, no doubt would want reunification with Afghanistan?

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 15:55

You're confusing patriotism for nationalism. The Pashtuns and Baluch swear allegiance to the Islamic Republic of Pakistan -emphasis on "Islamic Republic" - however they still look towards Kabul as their capital, and not Islamabad.

If you ask a Pakistani Pashtun what is the capital of his country, 99% will say Islamabad. The same with the Baloch.

On allegiance, Pakistani Pashtuns and Baloch are pretty clear on where their loyalties lie. Last election, Balochis voted for Musharraf's party on the whole, Pashtuns usually vote for PML-N or PPP. The nationalist parties do not have any major support in either region, and consistently have to team up with other parties every election to get any say in the running of the provinces. It's quite easy for people to vote for seperation or to stage an uprising that would be supported by India, but noone really wants to join with Afghanistan or any other country with the state that they're in. The Islamic Republic is definitely not what Pakistanis vote for or Pashtuns. Last election in 2002, the Pashtuns in Pakistan voted in Islamists only because of the bombing of Afghanistan which they opposed. Next election things would be returning to normal. All these people generally vote in secular parties or moderate Islamic parties. Basically parties that allow them to practise their religion freely.

If the Iranian/Iranic population of Pakistan viewed themselves as "Pakistani" before they viewed themselves as Muslims and Pashtuns (a term that until recently was interchangeable with "Afghan"), then why did the Indic-dominated government of Pakistan create and support the Taliban?

First, Pakistan does not contain any Iranian population. Everyone in Pakistan is Pakistani.

Second, Iranic is just a linguistical term. In your case, a province of China could be "Iranic" if the people spoke one of the Iranic languages. But the people are of a different origin to somebody from Pakistan, Azerbaijan, or whichever countries speak Iranic languages. I could group the whole of Pakistan together on genetics which would be a much more valid grouping than your linguistical lines of seperation.

Third, the Taliban were not created by the Pakistani government. Malizai explained this well a bit ago. The Taliban were Afghans who arose from the fighting in post soviet Afghanistan. They were supported by Pakistan though because Pakistan had its own interests to look after, and the Taliban happened to cooperate with the Pakistani government at the time.

Fourth, the Pakistan government is not Indic dominated. It is Pashtun and Punjabi dominated. It's possible to name more martial administrators of Pakistan who were Pathans than to name Punjabi or Sindhi ones.

Fifth, the question you ask makes no sense.

Why was the Indic-dominated government of Pakistan so in fear of a Pashtun or Baluch cessation that it chose to promote Islam in order to counterbalance the Pashtun and Baluch nationalistic desire?

Promote fundamentalist Islam? You have got to be joking now. Ziaudin the ex Army Chief who Nawaz Sharif chose to replace Musharraf wanted to promote fundamentalist Islam, and when he appeared on TV to be congratulated by Sharif, the Army officers pulled the plug on him, and staged the coup to throw him out. Tariq Ali describes some of them as drinking whiskey to the tune of bagpipes in the officer's mess. Fundamentalist Islam is in no way promoted in Pakistan, and the people generally do not have that sort of philosophy. If Islam was promoted to counterbalance Pashtun and Baloch desires it didnt do much good because none of the people vote for the radical Islamic parties, and it wouldnt make much sense for Musharraf to do this, as it would mean taking away his own votes from Balochistan.

Why did the Pakistani government feel safer believing that religious-minded Iranic Muslims would not feel a need to secede from fellow Indic Muslims, whereas nationalistic Pashtuns and Baloch who placed their ethnicity ahead of their religion, no doubt would want reunification with Afghanistan?

No no, you really have this all wrong. Musharraf is totally against fundamentalism in Pakistan as are most Pakistani people. The religious parties generally do not do well in elections, and have never done well in Balochistan. The Nationalist Parties do not perform well in Pashtun areas or in Baloch areas. Culturally, parts of FATA can be conservative, but majority of NWFP isn't conservative. There are no "Iranic" Muslims and "Indic" Muslims in Pakistan. There are Pashtuns, Balochis, Punjabis and Sindhis though as well as other smaller ethnic groups, many of whom are also Hindu and Christian.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 17:22

I am going to make my responses short and to the point, in the future, please do the same, as I lack the time to read such overwhelming nonsense.

Originally posted by TeldeInduz

If you ask a Pakistani Pashtun what is the capital of his country, 99% will say Islamabad. The same with the Baloch.

I should hope so. A Pashtun or Baloch who lives in the political boundaries of the nation-state of Pakistan ought to realize that the capital of that country is Islamabad and not Kabul, otherwise he'd be quite the idiot.

On allegiance, Pakistani Pashtuns and Baloch are pretty clear on where their loyalties lie. Last election, Balochis voted for Musharraf's party on the whole, Pashtuns usually vote for PML-N or PPP.

How is voting for a dictator an indication of loyalty? Saddam Hussein used to win 99.9% of the popular vote when he was in power, do you really think that all those Shias and Kurds voted for him?

It's quite easy for people to vote for seperation or to stage an uprising

"Quite easy"? Has the struggle for separation (btw: learn how to spell) been "quite easy"? Has the Kurdish struggle for separation from "quite easy"? How about the Baloch struggle for separation from Iran, has that been "quite easy"? Or the Uigur struggle for separation from China, has that been "quite easy"? Jesus Christ, man! At least do some research before you ramble such oblivious nonsense!

that would be supported by India,

Yeah, if India even gave a rat's ass!

but noone really wants to join with Afghanistan

Oh really? Did you conduct a poll and ask every single Pashtun or Baluch this question? Has the government of Pakistan ever called for a referendum to afford the Pashtun or Baluch their God-given right to self-determination?

The Islamic Republic is definitely not what Pakistanis vote for or Pashtuns.

That is beside the point. The fact of the matter remains that Pakistan is officially an Islamic Republic.

Last election in 2002, the Pashtuns in Pakistan voted in Islamists only because of the bombing of Afghanistan which they opposed. Next election things would be returning to normal. All these people generally vote in secular parties or moderate Islamic parties. Basically parties that allow them to practise their religion freely.

Please, don't bother me with unimportant electoral facts about a dictatorship.

First, Pakistan does not contain any Iranian population.

Oh, really, genius? The Pashtuns and Baloch are not linguistically, historically, and most importantly, genetically, an Iranian people? I use the term Iranic so as not to confuse the simple minded folk about who is an Iranian people and who is a citizen of the modern nation-state of Iran.

Everyone in Pakistan is Pakistani.

The two terms only came into being in 1947. There is no such thing as a Pakistani race or ethnic group. The country is composed of Indic or Indian peoples (Punjabi, Kashmiri, Mohajir, Sindhi) and Iranic or Iranian peoples (Pashtun and Baloch).

Second, Iranic is just a linguistical term.

Um, no, it is not. It is also an ethnic, and genetic term to denote one's racial and cultural make up.

In your case, a province of China could be "Iranic" if the people spoke one of the Iranic languages.

If you are a Punjabi whose family is from Pakistan, and you have moved to China – does that make you an ethnic Han Chinese person? Or do you remain Punjabi, which is an Indic person? If you move to Saudi Arabia, are you all of a sudden an Arab? No, you will remain an Indic person – someone of Indian heritage.

But the people are of a different origin to somebody from Pakistan, Azerbaijan, or whichever countries speak Iranic languages.

The Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis, and Mohajirs of Pakistan do not speak and Iranian language and they are not an Iranian people, rather, these peoples speak an Indic language and are Indic or Indian by blood, ancestry, and genetic make up.

I could group the whole of Pakistan together on genetics which would be a much more valid grouping than your linguistical lines of seperation.

Genetically, the Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis, and Mohajirs are Indian; and the Pashtuns and Baluch are Iranian.

Third, the Taliban were not created by the Pakistani government.

They were created by the Inter-Services Intelligence Agency, according to every other intelligence agency in the world. The Musharaff government has even admitted as such.

Malizai explained this well a bit ago.

Does Malizai work as an intelligence officer? Didn't think so.

The Taliban were Afghans who arose from the fighting in post soviet Afghanistan.

Why were their numbers filled with Pakistani Pashtuns, then? And why were they rejected by the majority of the Afghan people?

They were supported by Pakistan though because Pakistan had its own interests to look after

Those interests were the Indic-dominated Pakistani government's desire to keep its' grip on Pakistan's western provinces and not lose them to Afghanistan.

and the Taliban happened to cooperate with the Pakistani government at the time.

Because they needed recognization, and Pakistan and the UAE were the only ones willing to recognize them as the rulers of Afghanistan.

Fourth, the Pakistan government is not Indic dominated. It is Pashtun and Punjabi dominated.

The government is dominated by Mohajirs – Indian Muslims – and Punjabis, who are also an Indic people.

It's possible to name more martial administrators of Pakistan who were Pathans than to name Punjabi or Sindhi ones.

The overwhelmingly majority of people who have held power in Pakistan have always been of Indic origin.

Fifth, the question you ask makes no sense.

I was being sarcastic. A response from you was not necessary.  

Promote fundamentalist Islam? You have got to be joking now. Ziaudin the ex Army Chief who Nawaz Sharif chose to replace Musharraf wanted to promote fundamentalist Islam, and when he appeared on TV to be congratulated by Sharif, the Army officers pulled the plug on him, and staged the coup to throw him out. Tariq Ali describes some of them as drinking whiskey to the tune of bagpipes in the officer's mess. Fundamentalist Islam is in no way promoted in Pakistan, and the people generally do not have that sort of philosophy. If Islam was promoted to counterbalance Pashtun and Baloch desires it didnt do much good because none of the people vote for the radical Islamic parties, and it wouldnt make much sense for Musharraf to do this, as it would mean taking away his own votes from Balochistan.

I'm not interested in Pakistan's history. No need for the history lesson. The facts remain that the Indic-dominated government of Pakistan used political Islam in order to destabilize the Pashtun independence movement in Pakistan and to undermine their desire for reunification with Afghanistan.

No no, you really have this all wrong.

No, no, no, no I don't.

Musharraf is totally against fundamentalism in Pakistan as are most Pakistani people. The religious parties generally do not do well in elections, and have never done well in Balochistan. The Nationalist Parties do not perform well in Pashtun areas or in Baloch areas. Culturally, parts of FATA can be conservative, but majority of NWFP isn't conservative.

That's very nice. Too bad that I don't care.

There are no "Iranic" Muslims and "Indic" Muslims in Pakistan. There are Pashtuns, Balochis, Punjabis and Sindhis though as well as other smaller ethnic groups, many of whom are also Hindu and Christian.

Are you telling me that there are no such thing as Iranian or Iranic peoples, and no such thing as Indic or Indian peoples? Are you denying that the Kurds, Azeris, Persians, Tajiks, Pashtuns, Balochis, and Ossetians all share a common genetic make up, history, culture, and ancestry? Are you further denying that the Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis, and Mohajirs are not descended from Indian peoples? Hindus who were converted to Islam? Are you denying that these Indic peoples of Pakistan are culturally, historically, genetically, and linguistically linked to their kinsmen in India, just as the Pashtuns and Baloch of Pakistan are an Iranian or Iranic peoples? HA HA HA! You're funny!

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 18:51

I am going to make my responses short and to the point, in the future, please do the same, as I lack the time to read such overwhelming nonsense.

The same could be said of this post and all your previous ones.

I should hope so. A Pashtun or Baloch who lives in the political boundaries of the nation-state of Pakistan ought to realize that the capital of that country is Islamabad and not Kabul, otherwise he'd be quite the idiot.

Your insinuation was that a Pashtun would say Kabul as his capital, and it's incorrect. A Pakistani Pashtun would say Islamabad. No doubts about this, no second thoughts.

How is voting for a dictator an indication of loyalty? Saddam Hussein used to win 99.9% of the popular vote when he was in power, do you really think that all those Shias and Kurds voted for him?

You clearly havent got a clue of how politics is run in Pakistan. International Observers attend the elections in Pakistan. The vote count is not only observed by international observers, it is counted up in front of other parties. How do you equate this election process with the one by Saddam Hussein in Iraq? Only an ignorant person would do so..

"Quite easy"? Has the struggle for separation (btw: learn how to spell) been "quite easy"? Has the Kurdish struggle for separation from "quite easy"? How about the Baloch struggle for separation from Iran, has that been "quite easy"? Or the Uigur struggle for separation from China, has that been "quite easy"? Jesus Christ, man! At least do some research before you ramble such oblivious nonsense!

It always amuses me when people pick up on spelling mistakes because their posts lack any substances as the case clearly exists here. If you want a detailed spanking grammatically correct essay, you're not going to get one without paying me..

Your comparing apples with oranges again..First the comparison with Saddam (because he happened to be a dictator) was far fetched nonsense, now the comparison of the Baloch movement in Iran is the same too. If the movement is POPULAR amongst Pashtuns there will be independence. FATA regions are Pashtun and noone could control them, not the British troops a century ago, or people before them. If the Kurds cannot take on the might of the Turks, the Iranians, the Iraqis, the Syrians, or the Balochis cannot take on the Iranians, this does not mean the Pashtuns cannot take on the might of the Pakistani Army. If someone supplies the people with sophisticated weaponry (as the Indians are willing to do, and the Afghani government tried to do beforehand), the Pashtuns could EASILY rip Pakistan in half and join with Afghanistan. But noone wants that.. And if there was any popular movement for independence, voting would be an even easier way to show the desire for independence that clearly is not there, except in the figment of your mind.

Yeah, if India even gave a rat's ass!

LOL!! If you dont know anything about the history of the region, it's better not to comment and make yourself look silly..India would love to see Pakistan disintegrate..Why? Because it removes an obvious potential threat to their land..A weak divided Pakistan is better for India, and will enable them to hold onto Kashmir or take it.

Oh really? Did you conduct a poll and ask every single Pashtun or Baluch this question? Has the government of Pakistan ever called for a referendum to afford the Pashtun or Baluch their God-given right to self-determination?

Yes, a poll was conducted. It's called an election in 2002, in which votes were counted in view of opposition parties and international observers.

That is beside the point. The fact of the matter remains that Pakistan is officially an Islamic Republic.

So what?

Please, don't bother me with unimportant electoral facts about a dictatorship.

If it's too difficult for you to understand, consider the elections in 2002 as a poll or referendum that was monitored by all the opposition parties of Pakistan. It's a very weak reply to just dismiss those elections like that and to try and compare Pakistani elections with those stage managed in Iraq under Saddam Hussein.

Oh, really, genius? The Pashtuns and Baloch are not linguistically, historically, and most importantly, genetically, an Iranian people? I use the term Iranic so as not to confuse the simple minded folk about who is an Iranian people and who is a citizen of the modern nation-state of Iran.

Pashtuns and Baloch use an Iranic linguistical language. Genetically, in no way can you classify all Iranic speakers or "Iranian" people as you call them as a homogenous group of people all with the same ancestries. In fact, it's a proveable fact that Pakistani haplogroups are in many ways related to Steppenary haplogroups than to other Iranic or Iranian people as you call them here.

The two terms only came into being in 1947. There is no such thing as a Pakistani race or ethnic group. The country is composed of Indic or Indian peoples (Punjabi, Kashmiri, Mohajir, Sindhi) and Iranic or Iranian peoples (Pashtun and Baloch).

Pakistani is a nationality, Iranian is a nationality. That should be enough. But as I know it wont be I'll say something more. Iranian is the generic term given in the historical sense to the group of people that speak Iranic languages. The Pashtuns do speak an Iranic language, this does not mean they came from the same ancestral point as all other Iranic speakers or Iranian people. All the theories of Pashtuns being of similar ancestry as Arabs or as other Iranic speakers have been by now clearly and decisively put to rest by genetics. It's time you caught up with this..

Um, no, it is not. It is also an ethnic, and genetic term to denote one's racial and cultural make up.

Iranian is not an ethnic term. It can be used to describe a nationality (Iranian), it can be used to describe the language phylogeny of a language. In no way can the term "Iranian" be applied to the racial makeup of a person in the same way that "Indic" cannot be applied to the racial makeup of a person. Indic is a linguistical term. Applying Iranian as an ethnic term means that the Persians, Azeris, Kurds, etc are all

the same ethnic group, which they are not, or do you think they are?

If you are a Punjabi whose family is from Pakistan, and you have moved to China – does that make you an ethnic Han Chinese person? Or do you remain Punjabi, which is an Indic person? If you move to Saudi Arabia, are you all of a sudden an Arab? No, you will remain an Indic person – someone of Indian heritage.

What you have said above is finally true. But how does this relate to what I said?

The Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis, and Mohajirs of Pakistan do not speak and Iranian language and they are not an Iranian people, rather, these peoples speak an Indic language and are Indic or Indian by blood, ancestry, and genetic make up.

The Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis and Muhajirs of Pakistan are ethnic groups, they can be classified linguistically as Indic, but they are not all the same racial people. A Kashmiri is in no way racially related to a Muhajir..Anybody with rudimentary knowledge of Pakistan will know this.

Genetically, the Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis, and Mohajirs are Indian; and the Pashtuns and Baluch are Iranian.

LOL! Absolutely clueless. This is one of the most ignorant statements I've heard for a while. Indian is not a uniform haplogroup distribution and neither is Iranian in the sense you're using it. Iranian has many different ethnic groups with many many different genetics the way you're applying it. In fact if you define Indian and Iranian like this, the Pashtun group would fall more into the Indic group than the Iranian group (which is clearly false) so this means your own theory of Iranian and Indic racial groupings is incorrect.

They were created by the Inter-Services Intelligence Agency, according to every other intelligence agency in the world. The Musharaff government has even admitted as such.

The Musharraf government has not admitted it as such, and neither has "every other intelligence source" unless you consider yourself amongst such a distinguished category..no comment on that..The Taliban was supported by Pakistan to get a cooperative neighbour for it though, as any country wants..

Does Malizai work as an intelligence officer? Didn't think so.

Why were their numbers filled with Pakistani Pashtuns, then? And why were they rejected by the majority of the Afghan people?

The Taliban were filled with Afghan Pashtuns..do get your facts straight on this. Pakistani Pashtuns were a minority in the Taliban, they were there because they are of the same ethnic group as the Afghan Taliban.

Those interests were the Indic-dominated Pakistani government's desire to keep its' grip on Pakistan's western provinces and not lose them to Afghanistan.

Those "interests" as you put it were to get a trade route established to central asia and to prevent meddling in the affairs of Pakistan as Afghanistan had done in the 4 or 5 decades ago.

Because they needed recognization, and Pakistan and the UAE were the only ones willing to recognize them as the rulers of Afghanistan.

And when it was clear they were no good, Pakistan broke off the support. As did UAE. Taliban didn't need recognition, they needed support.

The government is dominated by Mohajirs – Indian Muslims – and Punjabis, who are also an Indic people.

Absolutely clueless. Pakistan government and Army is dominated by Pashtuns and Punjabis. Muhajirs form a very small part of it. Pakistani Punjabis form the other major part of it besides the Pashtuns. This is quoted all over the place.

The overwhelmingly majority of people who have held power in Pakistan have always been of Indic origin.

And they say it's bliss :D At least 20 years or nearly half of Pakistan's existence has been led by Pashtuns who only form about an eighth of the population!

I was being sarcastic. A response from you was not necessary.

Sarcasm needs to be understood for it to work, else you end up looking stupid.

I'm not interested in Pakistan's history. No need for the history lesson. The facts remain that the Indic-dominated government of Pakistan used political Islam in order to destabilize the Pashtun independence movement in Pakistan and to undermine their desire for reunification with Afghanistan.

LOL! You need the history lesson.. Political Islam has never worked in Pakistan. If political Islam was the purpose of the Pakistan government, then why was everyone voting for PPP in the seventies when Afghanistan was supplying arms to Pashtuns from Afghanistan to destabilize Pakistan? Political Islam never caught on in Pakistan, until 2002 when the people reacted to the American bombing of Afghanistan. Other than that Pakistan has never once had a period where it supported Islam politically..Not one, would be nice if you could show me one phase though, but I think you won't be successful.

That's very nice. Too bad that I don't care.

:D I think you do, else you wouldnt bring it up so much.

Are you telling me that there are no such thing as Iranian or Iranic peoples, and no such thing as Indic or Indian peoples? Are you denying that the Kurds, Azeris, Persians, Tajiks, Pashtuns, Balochis, and Ossetians all share a common genetic make up, history, culture, and ancestry? Are you further denying that the Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis, and Mohajirs are not descended from Indian peoples? Hindus who were converted to Islam? Are you denying that these Indic peoples of Pakistan are culturally, historically, genetically, and linguistically linked to their kinsmen in India, just as the Pashtuns and Baloch of Pakistan are an Iranian or Iranic peoples? HA HA HA! You're funny!

Iranian people are nationals of Iran, Indian people are nationals of India. One can also say Iranians are those people that speak the Iranic languages, and Indians those people that speak the Indic languages. This completely neglects the fact that within these groupings that you have chosen, there can be many different ethnicities with completely different ancestries. A more better classification would be those people that have common haplogroups, or, those people with common ancestral origins. And if you go by those classifications, Pakistanis all share some pretty similar haplogroups, and dare I say it but you could have a case for classing Steppary people as more Pashtun related than other "Iranian" linguistical groups.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 11:50

Why are the Pakistanis who come from Punjabi, Kashmiri, Sindhi, and Mohajir backgrounds always so adamant about disavowing their Indian and Hindu heritage and earnestly try to associate themselves with Afghans, Iranians, Turks, and Arabs? Are you ashamed of your Indian heritage, ashamed of your Hindu ancestry? Surely, you must have realized through these many decades since your divorce from India, that the Arabs, Turks, Iranians, and Afghans are not related to you Pakistanis, nor do they care to be associated with Pakistan in any which way.

Do you really believe the Pashtuns and Baloch do not consider themselves Afghans? Do you also believe that the Indic-dominated government of Pakistan is not in fear of a rebellion in its' western provinces? Happy reading:

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/3/a42bd7b4-8f71-46d3-9676-9faab6d745f4.html - http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/3/a42bd7b4-8f71-46d3-9676-9faab6d745f4.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_peoples - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_peoples

"The Iranian peoples are a collection of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group - - Iranian languages and discernable descent from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Iranian_peoples - - [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_peoples#_note-Ukraine_Encyclopedia - - [3] The Iranian peoples live chiefly in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East - - Central Asia , the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus - - Indian subcontinent , though speakers of Iranian languages were once found throughout http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasia - - Balkans to western http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang - - [4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_peoples#_note-Iranica - - Iran , the term Iranic peoples is sometimes used as an alternative in order to avoid confusion with the citizens of modern Iran."

Date Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 17:26

Why are the Pakistanis who come from Punjabi, Kashmiri, Sindhi, and Mohajir backgrounds always so adamant about disavowing their Indian and Hindu heritage and earnestly try to associate themselves with Afghans, Iranians, Turks, and Arabs?

I wouldnt know. I haven't met many Pakistanis that claim Arab ancestry, most claim ancestry from Pakistan. Punjabis, SIndhis, and Kashmiris especially do not have Indian ancestry. Muhajirs do tend to have Indian ancestry as these were the people that crossed over at Partition from India. Perhaps they had Hindu heritage, perhaps not, but the Punjabis, Sindhis and Kashmiris do not have a Hindu or Indian ancestry. They have a Pakistani ancestry and they have a Sapta Sindhu ancestry, which is different from todays India. Ther religion was not Hinduism but Vedism, Buddhism was more the religion of Gandhara but it also was present in other parts of Pakistan.

Are you ashamed of your Indian heritage, ashamed of your Hindu ancestry?

LOL!! Get over this..I don't have Indian heritage, I don't have Iranian heritage, I don't have Arab heritage, I do have Pashtun heritage and I know my heritage is more stepennary, which is none of the above.

Surely, you must have realized through these many decades since your divorce from India, that the Arabs, Turks, Iranians, and Afghans are not related to you Pakistanis, nor do they care to be associated with Pakistan in any which way.

Afghans are definitely related to many Pakistanis ancestrally. In fact, I have Afghan relatives from both sides of the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan. The greatest concentration of Afghan people in the world is in Pakistan and always has been. The Turks generally have a favourable view of Pakistanis after the help given to Turkey by Pakistanis during the second world war. There is no doubt of Turkish ancestry of some R1a1 Pakistanis and other haplogroups in Pakistan.

Do you really believe the Pashtuns and Baloch do not consider themselves Afghans?

LOL! You might as well give up now. My ethnicity is Afghan, and we consider ourselves as Pakistani East of the Durand Line, Afghani West of the Durand Line. The Baloch do not consider themselves as Afghan. They believe they are Arab, perhaps Syrian in ancestry, but most likely they're from round the Caspian Sea somewhere, they have too much R1a1, like a lot of other Pakistanis.

Do you also believe that the Indic-dominated government of Pakistan is not in fear of a rebellion in its' western provinces? Happy reading:

http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/3/a42bd7b4-8f71-46d3-9676-9faab6d745f4.html - http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2006/3/a42bd7b4-8f71-46d3-9676-9faab6d745f4.html

Wow! Good link from "Liberty Radio". You read it first hear, just remember that..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_peoples - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_peoples

"The Iranian peoples are a collection of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_group - - Iranian languages and discernable descent from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Iranian_peoples - - [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_peoples#_note-Ukraine_Encyclopedia - - [3] The Iranian peoples live chiefly in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East - - Central Asia , the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus - - Indian subcontinent , though speakers of Iranian languages were once found throughout http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasia - - Balkans to western http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinjiang - - [4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_peoples#_note-Iranica - - Iran , the term Iranic peoples is sometimes used as an alternative in order to avoid confusion with the citizens of modern Iran."

LOL!! Wiki is such a great link. Even that link contradicts what you say. Iranian peoples are all of different ethnic groups, with different ancestries, exactly as I've said before..It's not a racial classification it's a linguistic one.

Now I know why you spout so much nonsense..you read wiki and form views from there!

-------------

Posted By: Maziar
Date Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 22:35
Originally posted by Mortaza

Wrong, i don't know about Turkey, but i am very sure Iranians will place national identity ahead of islam. i was in Iran recently, and i have seen it. The nationalism is rising to a high level after the revolution.

Posted By: Maziar
Date Posted: 02-Dec-2006 at 22:51
[quote=Teldeinduz]

LOL!! Wiki is such a great link. Even that link contradicts what you say. Iranian peoples are all of different ethnic groups, with different ancestries, exactly as I've said before..It's not a racial classification it's a linguistic one.

Now I know why you spout so much nonsense..you read wiki and form views from there![
/quote]

And you are wrong again, the term Iranic is about ethnic and race, and not only languages. the one who has write that article in Wikipedia must have heared it from scholars, so he hasn't cooked up the story about what is iranic.
Sorry to say that my friend, you know i like you, but you are the one who tells nonsence here. Do me a favour read a book or two about what is Iranic and come back again here. And please don't be mad about me.

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 00:37
^ dont worry about the being mad part..it's a discussion forum, so different points of view should be tolerated.

That being said, I'm not wrong Tongue. Iranic is a generic term used to describe many people of different ethnicities and origins who happen to speak a an Iranic language. It is not a racial term or an ethnic term in any way whatsoever and I actually agree with the part of the wiki link where it says that "Iranic" is a collection of ethnic groups..In other words it's not a racial classification, which leaves it as a linguistic classification.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 19:33
TGR

If i may humbly interject myself into this discussion, but Tele is right about where the allegiance of the pakistani pashtuns/baloch lie. It is impossible to ignore the fact that they created pakistan, along with the rest. They CREATED it, they werent subjected to it. Infact they liberated parts of Kashmir that are today free from occupation. Sikhism is another religion of Paistani origin, practiced almost exclusively outside its borders. There is some hinduism in desert atreas close to the Rajhastan state border.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 15:12

I wouldnt know. I haven't met many Pakistanis that claim Arab ancestry, most claim ancestry from Pakistan. Punjabis, SIndhis, and Kashmiris especially do not have Indian ancestry.

Ancestry from Pakistan?? Pakistan??? PAKISTAN???? Pakistan didn't exist 59 years ago!! YOU WERE ALL INDIANS PRIOR TO AUGUST 14TH 1947!

Muhajirs do tend to have Indian ancestry as these were the people that crossed over at Partition from India. Perhaps they had Hindu heritage, perhaps not,

Perhaps??? Hard genetic and historical evidence suggest that THEY DO HAVE HINDU and INDIAN ancestry

but the Punjabis, Sindhis and Kashmiris do not have a Hindu or Indian ancestry.

BULLSH*T!

Where is the proof??

And it better come from a credible and neutral source, not some self-hating Pakistani website.

They have a Pakistani ancestry

Allow me to repeat myself ever so eloquently:

"Ancestry from Pakistan?? Pakistan??? PAKISTAN???? Pakistan didn't exist 59 years ago!! YOU WERE ALL INDIANS PRIOR TO AUGUST 14TH 1947!"

LOL!! Get over this..I don't have Indian heritage, I don't have Iranian heritage, I don't have Arab heritage, I do have Pashtun heritage and I know my heritage is more stepennary, which is none of the above.

You are a liar! You do not have Pashtun heritage because no Pashtun or Baloch would ever identify themselves with Indic Muslims, i.e. Punjabi, Kashmiri, Mohajir, Sindhi - such as the one you are! The Pashtuns and Baloch are far too proud and only align themselves with fellow Iranian/Iranic peoples! You are either very sadly mistaken, or you are an Indic Muslim of Hindu heritage who tries and tries to identify himself with Middle Eastern Muslims because you are too ashamed of your Indian and Hindu heritage! This is a most common trait amongst Indic Muslims!

Afghans are definitely related to many Pakistanis ancestrally.

I call BULLSH*T! Afghans are not related to any Pakistanis outside of the Pashtuns and Baloch who reside in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas, the North West Frontier Province, and the Balochistan province. The Punjabis, Kashmiris, and Sindhis are all related to their kinsmen across the border in India in that they are descended from lowcaste Hindus who converted to Islam. See, you are an Indic Pakistani; otherwise you would not be so adamant about denying your Hindu heritage and trying to relate yourself to Afghans! The Afghans hate the Indic Pakistanis from Punjab, Kashmir, and Sindh, and would never want to align themselves with you!

In fact, I have Afghan relatives from both sides of the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

More lies.

If you had family in Afghanistan, and if you were of Pashtun heritage, then YOU WOULD NEVER REFER TO YOURSELF AS "INDUZ" which implies relationship to the Indus River, which is in the INDIC portion of Pakistan, which automatically implies that you are of Hindi and Indian heritage!!!!

There is no doubt of Turkish ancestry of some R1a1 Pakistanis and other haplogroups in Pakistan.

More proof of an Indic Pakistani who is ashamed of his Hindu and Indian heritage and tries to align himself with Turks, Afghans, and other Middle Eastern Muslim groups he views as superior to him.

If the Indic Muslims of Pakistan, the Punjabis, Kashmiris, and Sindhis are related to Turks and Afghans as you claim, then WHY do they speak Indic languages? WHY do their women wear RED wedding outfits on their wedding day instead of WHITE ones like the Turks and Afghans do? WHY do you eat INDIAN food? WHY DO YOU LOOK INDIAN and not Turkish or Afghan??

BUT .... the Pashtuns and Baloch DO LOOK IRANIAN, IRANIC?? and they DO NOT look Indian or Indic and they DO NOT LOOK anything like Pakistani Punjabis, Kashmiris, and Sindhis?? WHYYYYYYYYY?????

Wow! Good link from "Liberty Radio". You read it first hear, just remember that..

Do you have a valid counterargument? Didn't think so.

LOL!! Wiki is such a great link.

Yes, it is a great link in that it is very accessible and readable in that even if the person that one is debating with –in this care, YOU – has limited comprehension of the English language, they are able to grasp Wikipedia.

Even that link contradicts what you say. Iranian peoples are all of different ethnic groups, with different ancestries, exactly as I've said before..It's not a racial classification it's a linguistic one.

No, it certainly does not. Read carefully, muchacho. It defines the terms Iranian and Iranic as both linguistic and genetic, racial, ethnic classifications. Linguistics is but one very important classification.

Now I know why you spout so much nonsense..you read wiki and form views from there!

Keep denying it all you want, but you and I both know that you are not an Afghan, nor a Pashtun, nor even a Baloch. You are a Punjabi, Kashmiri, Sindhi, or Mohajir –all of these peoples are descended from Hindus from India, who were forcibly converted to Islam by the Turks. Genetic testing reveals that greater than 90% of these peoples – Pakistani Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis, and Mohajirs – are descended from lowcaste, untouchable Hindus who accepted Islam (and the remaining 10% from Hindus of other castes), and you still deny your Hindu and Indian heritage? Post a picture of yourself, and I will guarantee that you bear resemblance to Hindus more than any Turk or other Middle Easterner.

These OWNAGE sessions brought to you courtesy of The Grim Reaper

Date Posted: 05-Dec-2006 at 20:19

Ancestry from Pakistan?? Pakistan??? PAKISTAN???? Pakistan didn't exist 59 years ago!! YOU WERE ALL INDIANS PRIOR TO AUGUST 14TH 1947!

Yep, Pakistan did exist before 1947. It came under various names and various Empires. But the land, the people never changed. Their cultures changed with time from one thing to another. Names are quite unimportant. Afghanistan didnt exist before the 17th century in this case, but everyone knows that Pashtuns, Tajiks, Uzbeks all occupied the land of Afghanistan much before then. Everyone knows that Pashtuns, Balochs, Punjabis and Sindhis occupied the land of Pakistan way before it was named so. Even if you want to go this way, the S in Pakistan stands for Sindh, the A for Afghania, the P for Punjab, etc, so Pakistan is an abbreviation for lands that have existed for millenia in fact.

Perhaps??? Hard genetic and historical evidence suggest that THEY DO HAVE HINDU and INDIAN ancestry

The Muhajirs you refer to form about 1 in perhaps 15 Pakistanis today. They do have Indian ancestry, and 14/15ths of Pakistan does not have Indian ancestry. The Muhajirs might have Hindu ancestry, since not all of India was Hindu through it's history, in fact Buddhism was also quite common especially in some of the Eastern states of current India. The people from the land of modern Pakistan have not had any Hindu ancestry, just Buddhist and Vedic, as Hinduism in its current form originated from the Ganges in East India and did not reach as far West as Pakistan (as mentioned in the historical accounts of Mahabharatta).

but the Punjabis, Sindhis and Kashmiris do not have a Hindu or Indian ancestry.

BULLSH*T!

Where is the proof??

And it better come from a credible and neutral source, not some self-hating Pakistani website. 

Lol! I'm not here to explain this to you. You're welcome to believe what you like. Won't change much. Anybody with an ounce of mental and visual capacity can see Kashmiris are totally different looking to the majority of Indians, as are Punjabis and Sindhis (some Sindhis however do look like Punjabis of India though this group are on the fringes of India). Genetics is very clear on Punjabi and Sindhi but especially Kashmiri genetics as being different to anything in India. One example is Punjabi, Sindhi, Kashmir haplo W, another is M2a, M3a, M18, M25 all are found in India, none is found in Kashmir or the rest of Pakistan. For Y haplos just look at Underhill's paper. Genetics really is not going to establish what you want. There's a reason for this..one which will take some non existent research on your part.  
http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif -

- -  

-

It's not eloquent at all, in fact it's not a very well thought out point. The land, the people of Pakistan are the same. If it's too hard for you to understand, call it the Indus Valley ancestry. It's the same thing. Pakistan is the Indus Valley.

-  

- -

-

- - You are a liar! You do not have Pashtun heritage because no Pashtun or Baloch would ever identify themselves with Indic Muslims, i.e. Punjabi, Kashmiri, Mohajir, Sindhi - such as the one you are! The Pashtuns and Baloch are far too proud and only align themselves with fellow Iranian/Iranic peoples! You are either very sadly mistaken, or you are an Indic Muslim of Hindu heritage who tries and tries to identify himself with Middle Eastern Muslims because you are too ashamed of your Indian and Hindu heritage! This is a most common trait amongst Indic Muslims!

It's not really important that you don't believe me. I've said it from the start that I'm Pashtun, so it's not something I suddenly made up (unlike your ID). Most Pashtuns in fact think like this. In fact, it just shows you have no answer since you can only think "Indic Muslims", a term which noone uses in Pakistan", can want to be a part of Pakistan even though it was the Pashtuns, the Balochis and the Sindhis that formed the core of Pakistan, while Bengal and Punjab were being divided up.

- -  

- -

- -

-
-

-  

- -

-
- - If you had family in Afghanistan, and if you were of Pashtun heritage, then YOU WOULD NEVER REFER TO YOURSELF AS "INDUZ" which implies relationship to the Indus River, which is in the INDIC portion of Pakistan, which automatically implies that you are of Hindi and Indian heritage!!!!
 The Indus River is actually flows the the Pashtun areas. Do try and learn some geography whilst improving on your non-existent knowledge of illusionary Iranian and Indic Pakistanis.

It flows from NWFP to Punjab joining other rivers, and then forms a larger river flowing through Sindh. So the Indus is very much a part of the NWFP in fact.

- -  

- -

-

- More proof of an Indic Pakistani who is ashamed of his Hindu and Indian heritage and tries to align himself with Turks, Afghans, and other Middle Eastern Muslim groups he views as superior to him.

- - A PC plot of R1a1-M17 Y-microsatellite data (Figure 4) shows several interesting features: (a) one tight population cluster comprising S. Pakistan, Turkey, Greece, Oman and West Europe, (b) one loose cluster comprising all the Indian tribal and caste populations, with the tribal populations occupying an edge of this cluster, and (c) Central Asia

BUT .... the Pashtuns and Baloch DO LOOK IRANIAN, IRANIC?? and they DO NOT look Indian or Indic and they DO NOT LOOK anything like Pakistani Punjabis, Kashmiris, and Sindhis?? WHYYYYYYYYY?????

Well this is really nonsense isnt it. The Pashtun look is not something I see in any other ethnic group. I can tell a Pashtun apart from a Persian or an Indian or an Uzbek, and i can tell a Baloch apart from any "Indic" or "Iranian" person. It's really not that difficult. I've actually been confused by Arabs for Arab, and Iranians for Persian, but oddly enough I've had the most Dravidian of person think I'm Indian also, which just goes to show it's a people judge these things on experience, unless they've done some research which is what you should do.

Do you have a valid counterargument? Didn't think so.

Sure I do..Pashtuns do not vote for Nationalist parties that would like to see a Pashtunistan formed. What better demonstration is there that most Pakistani Pashtuns do not care about a Pashtunistan. Perhaps this point might sink into your head eventually that there is an election system in Pakistan which has a voting system that involves the opposition parties checking the ballots that have been cast so there is no chance of making up the results by anyone.

Yes, it is a great link in that it is very accessible and readable in that even if the person that one is debating with –in this care, YOU – has limited comprehension of the English language, they are able to grasp Wikipedia.

It's also a place where someone with very little knowledge - in this "care" you - can go and post some very ignorant information.

No, it certainly does not. Read carefully, muchacho. It defines the terms Iranian and Iranic as both linguistic and genetic, racial, ethnic classifications. Linguistics is but one very important classification.

You obviously have not read it correctly then. It says "Iranic" is a collection of ethnic groups, not one but many, so it's not a racial grouping.

Keep denying it all you want, but you and I both know that you are not an Afghan, nor a Pashtun, nor even a Baloch. You are a Punjabi, Kashmiri, Sindhi, or Mohajir –all of these peoples are descended from Hindus from India, who were forcibly converted to Islam by the Turks. Genetic testing reveals that greater than 90% of these peoples – Pakistani Punjabis, Kashmiris, Sindhis, and Mohajirs – are descended from lowcaste, untouchable Hindus who accepted Islam (and the remaining 10% from Hindus of other castes), and you still deny your Hindu and Indian heritage? Post a picture of yourself, and I will guarantee that you bear resemblance to Hindus more than any Turk or other Middle Easterner.

These OWNAGE sessions brought to you courtesy of The Grim Reaper

Lol! If I post a picture of myself, you'll clearly see I'm Afghan in every stereoptypical way. Punjabis and Sindhis have most definitely been in the area of Pakistan for millenia, and were most likely the people of Sapta Sindhu..Sindhis - these were the Vedic Aryans that wrote the Rig Veda. Of course these are not Hindus, so that throws that theory of yours out.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 12:56
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dgarvey/DNA/hg/YCC_R1a1.html - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dgarvey/DNA/hg/YCC_R1a1.html

The website link you posted which makes a minor reference to Pakistani genetic makeup when compared to that of Turkey's, was written by a group of Indic Pakistanis. I would hardly lend much credence to a group of Indic Pakistanis who would do anything to shed their Hindu and Indian heritage and adopt that of peoples they viewed as superior to them, in this case, the Turks.

btw: That website is not credible at all. I can find some random BS on the Internet as well, just like the one you've found, anyone can post anything on the World Wide Web, but does this make it credible? Now, that is a different story. Your links are partisan, without merit, and utter nonsense. I can find you links from Hindu nationalist, White supremacist, Islamist, Zionist, etc. websites - would that make the information on these sites, accurate?? I think not! So why bother me with some link from a Pakistani nationalist website???

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 13:23

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dgarvey/DNA/hg/YCC_R1a1.html - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dgarvey/DNA/hg/YCC_R1a1.html

The website link you posted which makes a minor reference to Pakistani genetic makeup when compared to that of Turkey's, was written by a group of Indic Pakistanis. I would hardly lend much credence to a group of Indic Pakistanis who would do anything to shed their Hindu and Indian heritage and adopt that of peoples they viewed as superior to them, in this case, the Turks.

btw: That website is not credible at all. I can find some random BS on the Internet as well, just like the one you've found, anyone can post anything on the World Wide Web, but does this make it credible? Now, that is a different story. Your links are partisan, without merit, and utter nonsense. I can find you links from Hindu nationalist, White supremacist, Islamist, Zionist, etc. websites - would that make the information on these sites, accurate?? I think not! So why bother me with some link from a Pakistani nationalist website???

Lol!! Since when would a Pakistani be interested in making a website about the Garvery surname? LOL 

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dgarvey/ - http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dgarvey/  

same website..clearly not Pakistani..

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 14:33
No, genius. The little reference there was in the link you previously provided, directed users to a Pakistani study. Furthermore, this silly "freepages" website of your is not historically credible.

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 15:48
Try again, the study was published in the American Journal of Human Genetics by researchers who've probably got more important things on their mind than to want to prove some sort of link to other ethnic groups..LOL If you read the paper you'd also find the following "Pakistanis"

Raheel Qamar,1,2 Qasim Ayub,1,2 Aisha Mohyuddin,1,2 Agnar Helgason,3 Kehkashan Mazhar,
Atika Mansoor,1 Tatiana Zerjal,2 Chris Tyler-Smith,2 and S. Qasim Mehdi1

1Biomedical and Genetic Engineering Division, Dr. A. Q. Khan Research Laboratories, Islamabad; 2Cancer Research Campaign, Chromosome

Molecular Biology Group, Department of Biochemistry, and 3Institute of Biological Anthropology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United

Kingdom; and deCODE Genetics, Reykjavik

The "silly" freepages site is one of the largest genealogy sites on the net, and that page is written by Western Europeans with an interest in the surname Garvey, obviously.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 16:55
The majority of the researchers bear Pakistani names. Your link is still not credible, genius. Try again.

btw:

http://www.kashmirherald.com/featuredarticle/indiannessandislam.html - http://www.kashmirherald.com/featuredarticle/indiannessandislam.html

"....over 95% of the Muslims of India are converts from Hinduism, and of Indian origin. But since they have now become Muslim, what Babar, a foreign Muslim invader built by demolishing a Hindu - Indian - shrine is more important than the Indian heritage. For an Indian once he converts to Islam, his Indian heritage is to be forgotten. Tabligh jamaat is working hard to remove all vestiges of Indianness from the daily mores of converted Indians ..."

^^ The same would be true of Pakistani Muslims from Kashmir, Punjab, and Sindh.

Posted By: bg_turk
Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 17:42
Your source is an Indian propaganda webpage. 

-------------
http://www.journalof911studies.com - http://www.journalof911studies.com

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 17:50

His sources come from Pakistani propaganda sites as well. That was what I was trying to prove by posting that link from the Kashmiri Pundit website - the bias involved.

Posted By: bg_turk
Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 18:02
Originally posted by shayan

LOL! Here is one Iranian who cares more about Our Nation then about Islam, and so are there many with me ;) specially the younger generation same in Turkey, but like the guy who made this thread said, Iran is excluded (luckely) in his ummah thing :) Iranians or Turks will never never never never never ever give up there language for Arabic, there culture for Arabic culture there ways of doing things for Arabic ways of doing things which is one of the main things of this Ummah thing ;) Ask a TUrk  or AN Iranian randomly on the streets about this and they will all answer they are first Iranian or Turk and then muslim ( if not before muslim a political ideology like monarchist(Iran) socialist, liberal or pragmatist) Just make sure you make yourself some arab ummah instead of a muslim one cuzz i m not seeing Turks joining it ;)

Well said. I cannot really speak about Turks in Turkey but most of my relatives who live there despise bringing religion into politics and are staunchly secular, and I am sure they would be opposed to any union or ummah with the Arabs.

I personally consider myself a Turk first, then a Bulgarian citizen, and religion plays very little role in my identity. And I can safely say this for most Turks in Bulgaria as well. Religion becomes important only  in times of confrontation with Bulgarians, as it is a useful tool to strengthen Turkish unity.

-------------
http://www.journalof911studies.com - http://www.journalof911studies.com

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 18:12
^^ Is Islam not a significant part of Turkish identity, however? Or do you choose to sidestep the 1000 plus years of influence that Islam has had on Turkish and Turkic culture and history?

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 23:57
I personally consider myself a Turk first, then a Bulgarian citizen, and religion plays very little role in my identity. And I can safely say this for most Turks in Bulgaria as well. Religion becomes important only  in times of confrontation with Bulgarians, as it is a useful tool to strengthen Turkish unity.

arent you atheist? why should you care for religion.

anyway, acording to last pools, More than 40% of Turkish people call themself as muslim, and less than 20% of Turkish people call themself turks.

So  I think, our people showed their decision. Other called himself as citizen of Turkey, kurd ext.

I remember a pool about iranians too and their preference was islam too.

I am sorry but changing facts are not realy possible.

^^ Is Islam not a significant part of Turkish identity, however?

Of course It is acording to last pool, 90% of Turkish people call themself as religious.

Or do you choose to sidestep the 1000 plus years of influence that Islam has had on Turkish and Turkic culture and history?

Islam and langauge are only things that bind turkish people to each other.(Except citizenship) I should also add islam is more binding power than langauge or citizenship. We can see this with the islamic votes at kurdish majority cities.

Of course some people does not thing so but this is only their ideas. Pool or elections dont support their ideas.

Date Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 08:28

Which Polls, conducted by who, using which sampling techniques, questioning what proportion of the population, was their bias involved, was an equal socio-demographic segmentation asked etc etc

This is deeply hypocritical because if somebody was to post a poll showing the opposite you'd be the first to be ranting and raving calling everyone fascist.

Presenting your subjective views as being the "norm", is not only ridiculous its also mis-leading to forumer's who don't know Turkey very well. Would you like to tell me exactly where Turkish people don't refer to themselves as Turks Confused and why being a Muslim conflicts with being a Turk, ie who are you to say that a person who calls himself a Turk cannot also be a Muslim when the majority of people have this view.

This is nothing that discrete dicatorism.

GR
Or do you choose to sidestep the 1000 plus years of influence that Islam has had on Turkish and Turkic culture and history?

Good point because during those thousand years the Turkish language rose to become a major language, joining the rank of Arabic and Persian in the Muslim world. Turkic culture was enriched during this period, it became highly stylised and elaborate, literature, architecture, cuisine, the sciences etc all flourished.

-------------
Albert Pine

Date Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 16:15
Bulldog,

I am aware of the profound impact that the Turkish and Turkic peoples had on the spread of Islam, and the advances that were made during Ottoman rule in Asia Minor, and Turkish rule in India. It's truly a beautiful history, and very fascinating to me (especially the Ottoman and Turkic Mughal Empires).

And you are absolutely right, in my view, Turk and Muslim are almost interchangeable and NOT mutually exclusive, and a person can be both a Turk and a Muslim.

btw: Am I still invited to visit your country?Tongue

Date Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 05:38
Would you like to tell me exactly where Turkish people don't refer to themselves as Turks Confused
Where did I said this? I am talking about first thing they said about themself. I mean priority.

and I wont accuse anyone with fasism because of a pool. It would be stupid to accuse messenger.

who are you to say that a person who calls himself a Turk cannot also be a Muslim when the majority of people have this view.

where did I said this?

What I wont to say is that, religion is more important than nation.(For Turkish people) That is all.  

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com