Print Page | Close Window

Alexanders death

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1609
Printed Date: 24-Apr-2024 at 05:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Alexanders death
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Alexanders death
Date Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 18:29
I would like to ask the experts on Alexander,what is the most acceptable theory of his death!

Replies:
Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 02:52

Malaria, in combination with an exausted, by multiple wounds he received in battle,  boby.

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: Romano Nero
Date Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 06:31

...some would prefer assasination

But we won't know, unless they find Alex's body (if mummified, at least)

Date Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 06:41
Originally posted by Romano Nero

Quite right! Oliver Stone for example

-------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: BattleGlory
Date Posted: 26-Dec-2004 at 21:27
It actually is plausible that he may have been poisoned with Antipater's and Aristotle's collaboration.  It, however, depends on one's penchant for believing conspiracy theories

-------------
~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 26-Dec-2004 at 23:26
Originally posted by Romano Nero

But we won't know, unless they find Alex's body (if mummified, at least)

they can know from a 2300 years old body that it was poison that killed him?

Posted By: BattleGlory
Date Posted: 27-Dec-2004 at 14:30
Yeah, they'll be able to analyze the molecular content to see if there are any poisons.

-------------
~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.

Posted By: Qnzkid711
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 22:17
 I heard they recently uncovered Alexander's tomb in present day Macedon(before the Olympics I believe). I do not know if it is true but supposedly the Macedonian governemnt is being very strict on who will see it. I guess they may fear that scientist can get proof or something that they are not direct decendants of Alexander. As their flag claims).

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 01:17

Originally posted by Qnzkid711

I heard they recently uncovered Alexander's tomb in present day Macedon(

Nope!

In any case, assuming his body was transferred back in Macedonia (it was last seen in Alexandria, in Roman times - J.Ceasar had visited it), it would have been burried at Vergina or Aiges which were the royal cities. In what is today FYROMacedonia, back in Alexanders time, was nothing but a rural area without any significant cities. It was named Paeonia.

-------------

Posted By: Aristoteles
Date Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 02:12

Actually, there is an interesting theory that... St Mark is it (don't remember for sure, but I assume this is correct) in Venice is actually Alexander. It's a complicated theory and a rather interesting one. A simple examination of chronology in the remains, can unveil if it's actually St. Mark or somebody else and if the dates coincide, we maybe get our hands to Alex's dead after all.

But I doubt the catholic church is going to permit an examination - if the St. Mark ain't st. Mark (his corpse was actually burned, according to the theory) they'll have a whole lot of face to lose.

More on this link: http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/alexander/6.html - http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/alexander/6.html

http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/alexander/6.html -  

Posted By: Maciek
Date Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 05:30

Originally posted by Qnzkid711

I heard they recently uncovered Alexander's tomb in present day Macedon(before the Olympics I believe). I do not know if it is true but supposedly the Macedonian governemnt is being very strict on who will see it. I guess they may fear that scientist can get proof or something that they are not direct decendants of Alexander. As their flag claims).

I think Qnzkid711 confused discovery of Philip tomb with Alexander's one.

I believe in no any sensational reason of his death but rather last researches in this matter made by two doctors from USA which statet that he died becouse of the Nile Feaver.

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 06:31

Originally posted by Maciek

I think Qnzkid711 confused discovery of Philip tomb with Alexander's one.

Perhaps, but in that case it was found in Vergina, in Greek Macedonia and as way back as 1977.

Is that what you reffer at?: http://alexander.macedonia.culture.gr/2/21/211/21117a/e211qa07.html - http://alexander.macedonia.culture.gr/2/21/211/21117a/e211qa 07.html

Btw, good to see you again Maciek!

Referring to the cause of death, I remember reading about the Nile virus theory that you mention, but other doctors rebuffed it. Oh well! There're so many theories and so little evidence that we'll never know!

-------------

Posted By: Qnzkid711
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 19:11
*Talks like a pot head*Wow Yiannis. Your location. Your like totaly NOt on EARTH. That blows my mind.    

Posted By: Maciek
Date Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 04:19

Hello Yannis! I'm very buissy in my work and in private life... well in fact I'm finnishing writing the book about Alex's military campaign. But well I'll try to be more often in forum. Can You tell me please where can I find other quite possible theories of Alex's death? I like to mention about newest researches in my book...

Thanks for welcome my comeback

Posted By: J.M.Finegold
Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 17:53
It's very possible that Alexander's generals assassinated him - I mean, if you just refused to go into India, and here's some guy that has purged his generals twice, and he's about to go into Arabia and towards the West... you may do the same - so assassination is very possible.

-------------

Posted By: Khabalood
Date Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 23:13
Was his death not caused by wounds received from a fight with a pakistani peasant. I heard reports of this in documentaries.

Posted By: J.M.Finegold
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 17:40
Originally posted by Khabalood

Was his death not caused by wounds received from a fight with a pakistani peasant. I heard reports of this in documentaries.

No because if the wound was inflicted before he reached India then he had enough time to heal - at least mostly - and if it was inflicted after he would have died in his crossing of the desert (don't remember the name) where perhaps 60 to 70% of his army was killed by heat and its effects alone.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 02:16

Originally posted by Dux

No because if the wound was inflicted before he reached India then he had enough time to heal - at least mostly - and if it was inflicted after he would have died in his crossing of the desert (don't remember the name) where perhaps 60 to 70% of his army was killed by heat and its effects alone.

Alexander received the wound that you reffer to, during the battle at the Mallian castle, when he was the first whi scaled the walls. He died three years after that so it wasn't a (primary) factor of his death. Of course he had received many wounds over the years and they had an effect on his health.

During the crossing of the Gedrosian desert (southern Iran), it was mostly the non-combatant followers of the army who were left to die. The army itself suffered minimum losses.

-------------

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 22-Jan-2005 at 18:37

I dont believe in Malaria theory. As far as i know it is spread through mosquito bites which usualy live in tropical places. Alexander died in a kinda desert place. If he had died around 2-3 years earlier while he was in India then surely malaria would have a strong case. But not in his case.

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 01:13
On the contrary! Babylonia (due to Tigres and Euphrates) was one of the most malaria-infected regions of the world...

-------------

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2005 at 01:06
Alexander the Great
New book by Phillip Graham

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 22:39

Mod Edit (Lannes)

-------------

Posted By: Belisarius
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 22:45
Loser.

Anyway, I believe that Alexander's death was because of neglect. He was so upset by the death of his best friend Hephaestion, that he neglected his bodily needs. The malaria just finished him off.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 22:51

Mod Edit (Lannes)

-------------

Posted By: Rome
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 22:55
 you ignorent jerk they arent nazis. back off and relax. HAHAHA you no whats funny I have never herd of your country.

-------------

Posted By: Belisarius
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 23:07
Thank you Rome, but you should ignore him. Acknowledging evil, or in this case stupidity, gives it power.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 23:12
just trying to help man. you should have read what he wrote to me when I asked him to explain how Alexander was fake and he said , "it came from other peoples stories."

-------------

Posted By: greekboy
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 23:16

Mod Edit (Lannes)

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 23:18
How do you explain the Ptlolemy and Seleucid empires that came from Alexanders generals.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 23:21
it could have been just the intermingling between the greeks and persians that led to a clash in culture and soon civil war that brought these new countries similar to the fall of the ottoman empire that led to the formatians of iraq, syria and the other nations of the middle east.

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 23:26
Saying alexander wasent real is like saying Caesar wasent real.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 23:29
thats completly different axander was greek and ceaser was roman, greeks were story tellers and romans were just copyers of greeks and thats were a myth became fact.  

Posted By: Lannes
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2005 at 23:30

I think that'll be enough. 

Trolls ruin everybody's fun...

-------------
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com