Print Page | Close Window

The Bahais / Babis-Why were they persecuted

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Post-Classical Middle East
Forum Discription: SW Asia, the Middle East and Islamic civilizations from 600s - 1900 AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15621
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 19:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Bahais / Babis-Why were they persecuted
Posted By: Vivek Sharma
Subject: The Bahais / Babis-Why were they persecuted
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 04:39
Any one knows why the Bahais were persecuted, What were there teachings, Comparative study of their belief, the current state etc..

-------------
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Replies:
Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 05:22
Becuase they're viewed as heretics (particualarly in Shiism, I can't remmber the deatils though).  They teach that Baha'ullah, their 19th century prophet was the messiah.  You can get more details from google on them.

Our doctor in Iran was Baha'i, he was murdered because of his faith soon after the Extremists took over after the revolution.

-------------

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 05:29
an old iranian told me they were a british invention of sorts, dont know if that is true.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 05:54
We have a grand Bahai temple in India.

-------------

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 21:13
Originally posted by Leonidas

an old iranian told me they were a british invention of sorts, dont know if that is true.

Aye. I don't know if its true, proveable, or anti-bahai propaganda, but both the bahai's and the ahmedis are seen to be english divide and conquor attempts.

There are two streams of thoughts on Bahais, either they are heretics, or they are muslims. I personally don't think either to be correct. Their religion (as far as I know) teaches that all religions, and all holy books are from God.
After skimming over their holy book once, it mainly quotes from the bible and the Quran. Taking quotes out of context and providing its own commentry. The writing style is much better than the bible's but still much worse than the Qurans.

Personally I don't understand how the religion works. Its sort of like all religions are correct (or something). Which doesn't make sense to me because different religions are clearly contradictory.

-------------

Posted By: Qutuz
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 22:19
The Bahai began as a messianic movement within Shi'ism in the Safawid state, and eventually grew into its own religion. They consider their religion to be the summation of all previous religious traditions perfected for the modern age. They were exiled into the Ottoman state where their leader was eventually executed as a heretic and rebel against the state in the province of Palestine.

Originally posted by Omar

There are two streams of thoughts on Bahais, either they are heretics, or they are muslims

Neither Bahai themselves nor any branch of the Muslims consider them to be Muslims, this is perhaps a misconception which exists due to the fact their beginnings were within Shi'a Islam.

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 23:08
I talked to several once at a festival.

Another important Shrine is in Hafia,  Israel.   Evidently some of the founders of Bahaism fled there after being perescuted in Iran.   I believe that their founder is referred to by the title  "The Door " in much the same way that Jesus is given the title "The Christ".  

Originally posted by Leonidas

Bahaism is clearly a genuine religion indigenous to the area.  Some of the eary converts / translators were English women though.  Perhaps this led to the "English invention" rumor.

The material that they gave me emphasized that they are encouraged to marry other ethnic groups (unity of the human family).  It also gave the story of a 19 year old girl martyred in Iran during the 1990s after she refused to renounce her faith.

Date Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 01:29
Bahaism is clearly a genuine religion indigenous to the area.

Why do you believe it is genuinely indigenous? It only began around the time that Western colonial interest in the region began, so I think there's clearly a good case for the claim it's a British invention.

Date Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 05:27
This strategy would not fit in very well with divide and conquer, as itis obvious such a religious movement would have zero effect overall.  There is a tendency among Iranians, quite rightly in many instances, to blame anomolies and certain afflictions on the British, but this I am afraid is mos def not one of those instances.

What the Brits did have a hand in was the funding and propagation of the Mullahs throughout the 30s up until the mid 50s to destabilise Iran's national democratic government of Mossadegh and Reza Shah before him.  An activity which was resuscitated again in the 70s to destabilise the Shah's regime.

-------------

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 05:37
actaully thanks for the clarification.

though i did question that story, whom am i, to question an old iranian about his countryTongue

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 23:41
Originally posted by Qutuz

Why do you believe it is genuinely indigenous? It only began around the time that Western colonial interest in the region began, so I think there's clearly a good case for the claim it's a British invention.
OK, lets explore the possibility that it is a British colonial invention.   Why would the British need such an invention?    The British had colonies all over the world without resorting to creating new religons to facilitate colonization.

It would have been far easier to simply favor existing religous minorities in Iran.  (Christians, Sunni Moslems, Zorastarians etc).   Also, the Bahai Faith has survived well after British Colonial interest in the region ended.  Why would it not have collapsed once British support was withdrawn?

Date Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 10:10
Why would the British need such an invention?    The British had colonies all over the world without resorting to creating new religons to facilitate colonization.

Most other British colonies didn't face much of a threat from local inhabitants. Only those in Islamic lands, so there was no need for instance to create a deviant version of the dreamtime in Australia, as the Aborigines there posed next to no threat at all.

This is because most lands the British colonised didn't have very advanced populations, with ideologies and civilisations of their own, which would allow them to rise up with ideas of resisting and reversing the occupation.

It would have been far easier to simply favor existing religous minorities in Iran.  (Christians, Sunni Moslems, Zorastarians etc).

Christians were nowhere near big enough a minority for this to be feasible, and besides Muslims would never adopt Christianity (as we consider to be paganism).

Sunni Muslims are the vast majority in the Muslim lands, Shi'a only make up about 10% of the population overall. You must remember in this time, there was no Iran, it was part of the Safawi empire, which bordered both the Ottoman empire and the British ruled Indian sub-continent. So one of these heresies arose in India and another next door in Safawi Persia. Backing the Sunni Muslims would be the last thing Britain would have been doing. Her mission was to corrupt and neutralise the Sunni Muslims (as they are 90% of all Muslims).

Also, the Bahai Faith has survived well after British Colonial interest in the region ended.  Why would it not have collapsed once British support was withdrawn?

Amongst hippies and few native Persians only. Very few other people have bothered with this breakaway religion, it is as good as dead.

Date Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 17:54

Amongst hippies and few native Persians only. Very few other people have bothered with this breakaway religion, it is as good as dead.
Yopur use of the word "native Persiaons" is interesting.  No chance that many believers are Native Persions is because Bahai Faith is a native religion of Iran?

Christians were nowhere near big enough a minority for this to be feasible, and besides Muslims would never adopt Christianity (as we consider to be paganism).
The British colonial system was not in the business of coercing religous conversion to either Christianity or Bahai Faith. 

Instead, the British were in the business of economic gain and they conducted this business very well.   The British colonized Moslems in Egypt, Sudan, Jordan, Palestine,  India/Pakistan/Bangladesh, Sub Sahara Africa, and Malaysia with out resorting to a religous agenda of coerced conversion.  Why would it be different for Iran?    

Of course, the British could and did favor different ethnic groups or religions to facilitate economic stability.  So long as the system profited, I doubt the British had a deep interest in the religons of the colonized.   The Brisith governmetn even restrained activites of missionary groups when the flet these groups threatned stability and economic gain.

Are you sure that Moslems view Christians as pagans?  This appears to be in contrast the the concept of  "Peoples of the Book".   

Posted By: çok geç
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 00:27
Originally posted by Cryptic

Are you sure that Moslems view Christians as pagans?  This appears to be in contrast the the concept of  "Peoples of the Book".
Cryptic notion of "people of the book" is more precise than Paganism considering Christianity. Muslims, as far as I know, do not consider Jews, Christians (later Zoroastrians were added) to be pagans. Hinduism ,under Islam view, is a pagan religion...etc.
The criteria that differenciate people of the book from pagans is simply:
1- They adhere to one supreme God who alone created the universe and has all the power of that universe. This is in contrast to multiple gods or gods of various powers, such the god of wealth, god of war, god of fertility..etc
2- They follow a supreme book that is believed to be a revelation directly from God or through a messenger. (Torah, Bible, Quran, Avesta..etc)

There might be more aspects in defining a non-Pagan religion under Islamic point of view, but I cannot recall more than those main two points.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Posted By: Nestorian
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 03:53

The Christian Trinitarian viewpoint is in contradiction to the Unitarian viewpoint of Islam and Judaism, can Christianity therefore be considered Pagan? Or still be included as 'Peoples of the Book" as there are sects that believe in a Unitarian not a Trinitarian God?

-------------
Isa al-Masih, both God and Man, divine and human, flesh and spirit, saviour, servant and sovereign

Posted By: Suren
Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 05:34

(qutuz wrote)

Sunni Muslims are the vast majority in the Muslim lands, Shi'a only make up about 10% of the population overall. You must remember in this time, there was no Iran, it was part of the Safawi empire,

Baha'i faith was founded in Qajar times ( 1856 ) not safavid era

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 06:52
The Christian Trinitarian viewpoint is in contradiction to the Unitarian viewpoint of Islam and Judaism, can Christianity therefore be considered Pagan? Or still be included as 'Peoples of the Book" as there are sects that believe in a Unitarian not a Trinitarian God?

While many muslims consider than Trinitarian belief comes close to paganism. Christians are firmly a member of 'the people of the book'.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 08:16
Cryptic,

No chance that many believers are Native Persions is because Bahai Faith is a native religion of Iran?

The fact that a few natives adopted it doesn't therefore make it native in the sense that it is "home grown". It could still be an invention of the British.

The British colonized Moslems in Egypt, Sudan, Jordan, Palestine,  India/Pakistan/Bangladesh, Sub Sahara Africa, and Malaysia

I'm sure we're quite aware not that one of our lands was spared their ravaging occupation.

Are you sure that Moslems view Christians as pagans?  This appears to be in contrast the the concept of  "Peoples of the Book"

Christians are officially afforded the status of "Ahl al-Kitab" (People of the book), but those for instant who actually worship Jesus (pbuh) as God would most definitely be considered mushrikin (pagans). In the time of the revelation of the Qur'an there still existed a schism in Christianity between monotheists and tritheists, this was known as Arianism. Also a lot of the Christians of the Middle East did not adopt the Nicean creed, but instead were closer to monotheism in their beliefs.

But as far as the standard view of the Catholic, Orthodox & most Protestant denominations go, most of them would be classed as mushrikin. The condition of them being granted Ahl al-Kitab status and not being classed as mushrikin is that they do not take a piece of the creation as their object of worship, and claim something else is God, beside God himself alone.

This is not dissimilar to the injunctions in the Qur'an which permit Muslims to eat the meat of Ahl al-Kitab saying it is Halal (permissable, clean) for us.  This applies to those Christians who used to slaughter their meat according to the rites mentioned in their books (ie. Kosher), but for the vast majority of Christians today, no such concept exists, and their meat is not Halal for us. They only fall under these categories whilst they fulfil the conditions for that category.

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 08:58
sirius,

You are correct. However, the Qajari empire was almost exactly the same as the Safawi empire (in most respects, just another family had taken the helm) and therefore my point is still valid that the Persian empire at that point in time was a buffer for the British against the Ottomans and also the Russians (which I forgot to mention), and that seeding a heresy there would definitely be advantageous to them.

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 10:41

Christians are officially afforded the status of "Ahl al-Kitab" (People of the book), but those for instant who actually worship Jesus (pbuh) as God would most definitely be considered mushrikin (pagans).
Yes, that is all Christians.  Even the non Nicean Coptic, Armenian and Ethiopian Churches are included.    

And since all Christians are Pagans by definition, what is to be done with pagans and their communities acocrding to Islam?     

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 17:25
Your knowledge about Christianity is obviously not very vast.

Jehovah's witnesses for instance do not worship Jesus (pbuh).

If the whole point of your entry into the discussion was just to lead to this point:

what is to be done with pagans and their communities acocrding to Islam?

You've wasted your time.

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 20:56

Your knowledge about Christianity is obviously not very vast.
Jehovah's witnesses for instance do not worship Jesus (pbuh).

Hmm... Good point.  But then the fact that the  Jehovah's Witnesses define themselves as Chrtistians does mean they accept Christian doctrine regarding Christ.  Anyways, lets classify them as Christians.

If the whole point of your entry into the discussion was just to lead to this point:
what is to be done with pagans and their communities acocrding to Islam?

You've wasted your time.
No, this is not the reason why entered into the discussion.   Your  knowledge, however,  of your previous posts does not appear to be vast.  You initiated this train of thought here.   I entered into the discussion before these posts of yours.  Therefore... I could not have entered  the discussion as a means of leading to this question.   I was following your lead.  

And you continued it here

But as far as the standard view of the Catholic, Orthodox & most Protestant denominations go, most of them would be classed as mushrikin.
So then I asked what is logical..... And was not given answer.  

And since all ( or almost all as you accurately pointed out Wink)  Christians are Pagans by definition, what is to be done with pagans and their communities acocrding to Islam?     

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 05:07
Hmm... Good point.  But then the fact that the  Jehovah's Witnesses define themselves as Chrtistians does mean they accept Christian doctrine regarding Christ.  Anyways, lets classify them as Christians.

What I would contend is that the term "Christian" is very broad, and it does now, and always has, defined very different sets of beliefs.

As I mentioned, in early Christianity there were the Arians (strict monotheists) and the Trinitarians. As the latter were supported by the Roman Emperor (suprise suprise, a Roman emperor supporting a more paganistic variation of Christian doctrine) trinitarianism became the established creed across most of Europe but not all of Europe, it actually survived amongst the Goths of al-Andalus, most of whom later converted to Islam when it arrived in their peninsula, the rest were probably obliterated during the reconquista and inquisitions of the post-Islamic period of Andalus or forced to convert to trinitarianism.

Of course during the reign of the Holy Roman Empire in Europe not a lot of variation in creed existed, but after the fall of the Vatican and the advent of Protestantism, all forms of movements sprung up all over the place with essentially Christian beliefs, but twisted into all manner of variations.

Perhaps you have an idea personally of what Christianity means and what its core creed is, but I think that the New Testament doesn't really support such dogma, unlike Islam for instance, where the creed is very clearly defined in all its details. And the only real schisms occured due to political differences (which may have later expanded out into creed issues).

I entered into the discussion before these posts of yours.  Therefore... I could not have entered  the discussion as a means of leading to this question.   I was following your lead.

I'm well aware of this, I was merely exaggerating the fact that you just appeared to be bursting to ask a question like that. "Oh so you wanna slay all the pagans?"

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 10:22
Originally posted by sirius99

(qutuz wrote)

Sunni Muslims are the vast majority in the Muslim lands, Shi'a only make up about 10% of the population overall. You must remember in this time, there was no Iran, it was part of the Safawi empire,

Safavi empire was called Iran.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 11:19

I was merely exaggerating the fact that you just appeared to be bursting to ask a question like that. "Oh so you wanna slay all the pagans?"
What you view as "bursting to ask", I view as following a train of thought (that I did not initiate)  to its logical conclusion.  Admittably, though, I do have a strong interest in how doctrinally Islam  views me and by extension, Moslems view me. 

the Goths of al-Andalus, most of whom later converted to Islam when it arrived in their peninsula, the rest were probably obliterated during the reconquista and inquisitions of the post-Islamic period of Andalus or forced to convert to trinitarianism.
This shows subjective nature of history.  You use terms like "most converted" and "probably obliderated".   Yet other information (subjective as well?)  suggests that a minority converted to Islam, that others resisted the invasion,  that deaths due to the inquisition have been exaggerated and that Islamic ties to Andaluscia (though they clearly exist) are not all inclusive.

What I would contend is that the term "Christian" is very broad, and it does now, and always has, defined very different sets of beliefs.
If your point is that Islam is more monolithic in belief than Christianity, you are correct.  If you conclusion is that Christianity is so fragmented that Christians do not have a clear sense of their religous identity as Christians and that most do not share core beliefs (Nicean or equivelant creeds), you are mistaken.

Even your valid example regarding Jehovah's witnesses amounts to a very, very small fraction of self identifying Christians.   You could even add Mormons (non traditional trinitarians) and increase this fraction by perhaps 3 million people.   

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 21:13
Admittably, though, I do have a strong interest in how doctrinally Islam  views me and by extension, Moslems view me.

Christians, regardless of denomination, are People of the Book, same as Jews and Muslims, always have been and always will be.
Qutuz, there weren't any Arian's in the middle east at the time of the prophet.

Guys, if you get back to the topic of Bahais, and forget the whole muslim-christian chafing thing.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 21:57
Originally posted by Zagros

Safavi empire was called Iran.

The point was not what it was called, but that it was a very different entity, most importantly that it had much wider boundaries than the modern day nation-state of Iran.

Admittably, though, I do have a strong interest in how doctrinally Islam  views me and by extension, Moslems view me.

What you need to understand first, is that this is not about how individuals see/treat you. This is about the legal standing of minority groups within the Islamic Caliphate. Since the Islamic Caliphate is not currently in existence, the question is irrelevant.

If you conclusion is that Christianity is so fragmented that Christians do not have a clear sense of their religous identity as Christians and that most do not share core beliefs (Nicean or equivelant creeds), you are mistaken.

I didn't state most. I merely pointed out that there are those who label themselves as Christian, yet who do not adopt the Nicean (Trinitarian) Creed.

Originally posted by Omar al-Hashemi

Christians, regardless of denomination, are People of the Book, same as Jews and Muslims, always have been and always will be.

Are you suggesting Muslims are "People of the Book"? If so, then your view is not even valid. The simple fact is that Ahl al-Kitab status has conditions, if someone does not meet those conditions they are not Ahl al-Kitab and are not classified as so under the Islamic Caliphate. If someone stops believing in Jesus (pbuh) and begins believing in Judas as the Messiah, yet continues calling himself a Christian, yet follows none of the injunctions of the Kitab (Bible) in his belief system, would he be considered Ahl al-Kitab? Likewise, as I mentioned before, is the meat and women of people who don't adhere to the Biblical way of life halaal to the Muslims? Can a Muslim man marry an unchaste Christian woman? No he cannot. Can a Muslim eat the meat of a Christian who doesn't slaughter Kosher? No he cannot.

there weren't any Arian's in the middle east at the time of the prophet.

I did not state there were. However, there were Arians in North Africa, and I'm sure pockets of them would've survived in other places, either way, Muhammad (pbuh) spoke the words of God, he did not need personal experience of those people in order to speak about them.

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 06:54

Are you suggesting Muslims are "People of the Book"?

Yes of course we are.
If so, then your view is not even valid. The simple fact is that Ahl al-Kitab status has conditions, if someone does not meet those conditions they are not Ahl al-Kitab and are not classified as so under the Islamic Caliphate.

The Caliphate, or conditions has nothing to do with it. The members of the People of the Book are laid out in the Quran.

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.[2:62]

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians and the Christians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness,- on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.[5:69]

Muslims, Jews, Christians and Sabians. No conditions. (Sabians are Zoroastrians & Manachians in english)
If someone stops believing in Jesus (pbuh) and begins believing in Judas as the Messiah, yet continues calling himself a Christian, yet follows none of the injunctions of the Kitab (Bible) in his belief system, would he be considered Ahl al-Kitab?

An interesting question, this is only my opinion but I'd say that following (or attempting to) the bible would be the in/out criteria. Certainly trinitarian christians are included as Ahl al Kitab
Can a Muslim man marry an unchaste Christian woman? No he cannot.

Why not? A muslim man can certainly marry a Christian woman. If you think otherwise I ask you to bring forth your evidence.
Can a Muslim eat the meat of a Christian who doesn't slaughter Kosher? No he cannot.

No, we can't do that. But a seventh day adventist, who is trinitarian and eats Kosher, we can eat from.
Muhammad (pbuh) spoke the words of God, he did not need personal experience of those people in order to speak about them.

The prophets intepretation of the Quran included trinitarian christians as People of the Book.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 17:06

Yes of course we are

Muslims are not Ahl al-Kitab. We are the Ummah of Muhammad (Saw), Ahl al-Kitab is a designation used for those people who preceded us, who continued on their deviated ways and rejected the latest messenger. I think you should do a little more research on this one. This concept has been raised by some so called "new age muslims" in America who want to make unity with Christians and Jews, but it is most certainly not supported within Orthodox Islam.

The Caliphate, or conditions has nothing to do with it... Muslims, Jews, Christians and Sabians. No conditions.

You quoted the evidence for it yourself....

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures)

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures)

The conditions are that they follow what's stipulated in their book, in order for them to be classed as people of the book. So if they didn't slaughter Kosher, we don't eat their meat, if they weren't chaste, we don't marry their women and if they don't worship the one God and practise monotheism we don't treat them as monotheists.

Why not? A muslim man can certainly marry a Christian woman. If you think otherwise I ask you to bring forth your evidence.

The evidence for this one is quite clear in the Qur'an:

This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time,- when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues if any one rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good).

No, we can't do that. But a seventh day adventist, who is trinitarian and eats Kosher, we can eat from.

These were my words exactly.

The prophets intepretation of the Quran included trinitarian christians as People of the Book

Did it? I only remember him condemning those who call God one of three, not extending to them the umbrella of Ahl al-Kitab status.

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 04:50

Muslims are not Ahl al-Kitab. We are the Ummah of Muhammad (Saw), Ahl al-Kitab is a designation used for those people who preceded us, who continued on their deviated ways and rejected the latest messenger. I think you should do a little more research on this one. This concept has been raised by some so called "new age muslims" in America who want to make unity with Christians and Jews, but it is most certainly not supported within Orthodox Islam.

Well, this certainly isn't a new concept at all. This is an old concept, but since its not really relevent to the discussion I won't push it.

You quoted the evidence for it yourself....

Are you playing with me?

those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians

AND the Christians.

The evidence for this one is quite clear in the Qur'an:

This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time,- when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues if any one rejects faith, fruitless is his work, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost (all spiritual good).

QED. A muslim man may marry a Christian woman. Chaste is constant for muslims and People of the Book.

Did it? I only remember him condemning those who call God one of three, not extending to them the umbrella of Ahl al-Kitab status.

He only knew about trinitarian christians I'm sure. There are many condemnations of Jews as well, this doesn't mean they aren't Ahl al Kitab.

Trinitatian christians are defintely People of the Book.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 06:30
Originally posted by Omar

Well, this certainly isn't a new concept at all. This is an old concept, but since its not really relevent to the discussion I won't push it.

The age of the concept doesn't determine its validity within Orthodox Islam. Even so, can you name any scholar of repute that ever claimed this? Did any of the 4 great imams of Islam ever claim this? Any of the Sahabah (ra)? These are our first points of reference, not Sheikh Fulan.

AND the Christians

These verses were revealed to the Christians of the time, who were on something wrong, but who were being given the chance to follow a new messenger (pbuh), they rejected and became disbelievers. At that point, when they chose to reject the message, these verses you've quoted were considered mansoukh anyway (ie. they are abrogated, their time of validity for the Christians finished).

A muslim man may marry a Christian woman. Chaste is constant for muslims and People of the Book

Obviously a Muslim woman would be chaste.

He only knew about trinitarian christians I'm sure

Why are you so sure about this? He knew that Christians had begun as a true community of believers and had slowly disintegrated into the cesspool of polytheism we find them in today, why would Allah (swt) not have given him the knowledge that some of them were still sincere in their monotheism?

Trinitatian christians are defintely People of the Book

As I stated, this issue is not even relevant except under an Islamic Caliphate. The status of Ahl al-Kitab has no meaning for Muslims who live outside of dar al-Islam really. Except perhaps in the case of marriage and meat, and in both those cases the vast majority of Ulema decree that it's not permissable or strongly discouraged for either of those things in the present day situation. For example, many Ulema have given the ruling that Muslims living in Christian countries should not marry Christian women, as their laws bring the children under her control and out of her husbands control in the event of divorce etc. I've personally seen many cases of this occuring and it's truly sad to see the Muslim men distraught at how their children end up. Likewise 99% of Christians do not slaughter according to their book, therefore their meat isn't halaal.

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 02:30
These verses were revealed to the Christians of the time, who were on something wrong, but who were being given the chance to follow a new messenger (pbuh), they rejected and became disbelievers. At that point, when they chose to reject the message, these verses you've quoted were considered mansoukh anyway (ie. they are abrogated, their time of validity for the Christians finished).

Now you appear to be a guy who knows Islam pretty well, so I'm pretty sure you know that the above paragraph is wrong. Espcially since you used a completely different argument in your last post. The Quran is a timeless book and nothing gets abrogated, Christians are included in the people of the book regardless of religious differences between themselves or us as clearly shown in those verses I posted.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2006 at 04:26
The concept of "mansoukh" in Islamic Fiqh is quite well known and studied, if you're not aware of it, and if you misunderstand it to mean the Qur'an is not timeless, then I can only advise you to go and take some lessons in the deen (From Muslim Scholars, not from Interfaithers) and then return to the discussion.

Posted By: yazzmode621
Date Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 23:27
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Any one knows why the Bahais were persecuted, What were there teachings, Comparative study of their belief, the current state etc..

The main reason I believe is that muslims believe that a profit is going to come and lead them or whatever and bahais believe that the profit has come.

No, Bahai is not a British invention.  Anyone that tells you otherwise is an  absolute idiot.    

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 04:29

The main reason I believe is that muslims believe that a profit is going to come and lead them or whatever and bahais believe that the profit has come

Thats jews and christians mate, not muslims and bahais.

-------------

Posted By: yazzmode621
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 10:04
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The main reason I believe is that muslims believe that a profit is going to come and lead them or whatever and bahais believe that the profit has come

Thats jews and christians mate, not muslims and bahais.

I know about the jew and christians but I"m pretty sure bahais and muslims have a similar thing.  Muslims are waiting for like another imam or something and bahais believe that he has come.  

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 03:54

I know about the jew and christians but I"m pretty sure bahais and muslims have a similar thing.  Muslims are waiting for like another imam or something and bahais believe that he has come. 

Oh, you mean that Mahdi thing? There are some sub groups that believe in that, but its not a major muslim belief.

-------------

Posted By: TRUREL
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 07:13
I think the reason they are persecuted is because they innovated from an Islamic religion.

Consequently their originators would be regarded as apostates.

Islam doesn't react very well to that, check out the general response to Qadiani, Ismaili etc. 

-------------
All we wanted was our country to love us as much as we loved it.

Posted By: kingofmazanderan
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 18:29
Qutuz you are wrong about the Bahai faith being a dieing religion.  There are members of this religion from almost every country on the planet.  Besides it is a relitivly young religion and it takes time to spread.  If you guys really want to learn about the Bahai faith go talk to some Bahai's most of the Bahai's are very devout to their faith and would love to discuss it with you.  Qutuz you have to be out of your mind to think that the Bahai faith was created by the British its a legitamit religion.  Yazzmode621 you are right the Bahai's think that their profit is the mahdi returned but Shia's do not believe it to be true. 

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 04:43
Qutuz you are wrong about the Bahai faith being a dieing religion.

Can you provide some growth rate statistics for it? I'm mostly going by the fact that I've met few Bahai's yet quite a lot of ex-Bahai's.

There are members of this religion from almost every country on the planet

I don't doubt how far it has reached, I just doubt its numbers are really growing.

Besides it is a relitivly young religion and it takes time to spread

Islam in its first century spread and controlled an area from the Atlantic Ocean to the Indus River, from the Pyrenees down to Madagascar and most places in between.

If you guys really want to learn about the Bahai faith go talk to some Bahai's most of the Bahai's are very devout to their faith and would love to discuss it with you

I've tried talking to them, they don't really seem to have much to offer. Except for some vague idea about us all being united in a brotherhood of religion and some twisted idea that somehow all of the religions in existence are cohesive with one another.

-------------
http://www.zanjabil.net/images/unity.gif - http://www.zanjabil.net/images/unity.gif

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 05:47
Yazzmode621 you are right the Bahai's think that their profit is the mahdi returned but Shia's do not believe it to be true. 
---

Yes this is why they are seen as heretics!

-------------

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 08:15

The bahai religion is alive and well, in fact King Malietoa Tanumafili II of Samoa professes the bahai faith, and has one of the seven major temples located near his capitol. Also, it is attracting converts, but I don't know how sustainable they will be to the religion.

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 19:18
The bahai religion is alive and well, in fact King Malietoa Tanumafili II of Samoa professes the bahai faith, and has one of the seven major temples located near his capitol. Also, it is attracting converts, but I don't know how sustainable they will be to the religion.

Really? Are you sure? Samoans are very strong christians in my experience. Islanders make up a substantial portion of the practising chrisitans in Australia

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 00:14

here is a great website for people who want to learn more about the faith.  http://www.bahai.org/ - http://www.bahai.org/

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 00:17
Qutuz Islam was mostly spread to other countries outside of what is now Saudi arabia through military invasions in the first century of its life.

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 03:27
Originally posted by kingofmazanderan

Qutuz Islam was mostly spread to other countries outside of what is now Saudi arabia through military invasions in the first century of its life.

Islam the religion? or the Muslim Empire? that spread through military invasions.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 03:51
Both.One lead to the other. One of the main purposes of the later was the frst.

-------------

Posted By: Killabee
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 04:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egstHWxTYBI&eurl=

Touching story of an 17 years ago Iranian girl who chose to be executed over giving up her bahai faith after the establishment of Islamic nation.

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 04:14
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Both.One lead to the other. One of the main purposes of the later was the frst.
Then explains why did Egypt need over 400 years for Muslims to break the minority stand? or even more for Zoroastrians of Iran? or maybe you can tell us why Muslims would remain a non-majority of Moorish Spain for over 700 years?
I find it extremely naiive to attribute the spread of Islam to political and military actions whereas the conversion happened on an extremely slow basis. More logical, the conversion happened with cultural, linguistic, and jurisdictional domination of the ruling Muslims on local population aided by factors as improvement of conditions (security and financial improvement to Byzantine era in the conquered regions).
If military was the force of Islam spread, we have to answers all of the the above questions including the fact that Armenia was in the hand of Muslims for hundreds of years, and yet remained almost purely Christian. The largest Muslim country in population today ,Indonesia, has adopted Islam from non-military channels.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 04:42
I said Islam was "mostly" spread to other countries by military invasion not completly.

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 04:46
King is right, Islam spread mostly by military invasion, sewing the seed for conversion at later dates.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 05:52
Originally posted by kingofmazanderan

I said Islam was "mostly" spread to other countries by military invasion not completly.

You are right.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 10:24
In Islam religion and state are virtually wedded together, the state represent's the Muslim religion and the favour of Allah does it not? Particularly under the four rightly guided Caliphs, religion and state went together. With each new military conquest Islam was introduced into the region. However, wth the development of the Sufi order and Muslim mercantile class, Islam was spread outside its borders in a peaceful manner. But there is no doubt, most of Islamic presence was spread through conquest (when I mean spread, I don't mean forced conversions or anythin like that, I mean exactly what I stated - that is Muslim presence).

However, i dispute the assertion that there was some kind of improvement over Byzantine rule in Egypt, the violent riots over excessive tacation (seemingly more harsh than Byzantine taxation) led to agitation of the Copts, and sometimes both Copts and Muslims. Furthermore, Coptic insurgence against foreign rule was greater under the Abbasids than the Byzantines. There were urban riots under Byzantine rule, but not armed insurgences which occured under Abbasid rule. Furthermore, the desertion of Egyptian Christian sailors to the Byzantines during the Siege of Constantinople shows that despite strained relations, the Christians of Egypt and Byzantium still had some kind of bond. It was quite rare to hear of any Egyptian attack aganst the Byzantines since AD 717.

-------------
Isa al-Masih, both God and Man, divine and human, flesh and spirit, saviour, servant and sovereign

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 18:48
Originally posted by Zagros

King is right, Islam spread mostly by military invasion, sewing the seed for conversion at later dates.

The statement "Islam spread mostly by military invasion" and "sewing the seed for conversion at later dates" contradict each other. Simply because Islam is the religion and not the state.
To be technically right, Islamic empires spread mosly by military invasion, sewing the seed for ocnversion at later dates.

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 18:58
jeez cok! talk about nit picking!

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 19:16
Originally posted by Nestorian

However, i dispute the assertion that there was some kind of improvement over Byzantine rule in Egypt, the violent riots over excessive tacation (seemingly more harsh than Byzantine taxation) led to agitation of the Copts, and sometimes both Copts and Muslims. Furthermore, Coptic insurgence against foreign rule was greater under the Abbasids than the Byzantines. There were urban riots under Byzantine rule, but not armed insurgences which occured under Abbasid rule. Furthermore, the desertion of Egyptian Christian sailors to the Byzantines during the Siege of Constantinople shows that despite strained relations, the Christians of Egypt and Byzantium still had some kind of bond. It was quite rare to hear of any Egyptian attack aganst the Byzantines since AD 717.
Nestorian, we both argued this point earlier in a different thread. I'm little surprised that despite we reach some common ground on some points, your paragraph above shows that our lengthy four pages discussion had no impact on your perception. While you are entitled to keep your ideas unchanged regardless of any presented information, I must balance your view by re-stating what we discussed in that thread in which:
1- Byzantine rule ,despite it was shorter than the Islamic one, had flacuated from peaceful to oppressive, with high taxations, religious intolerance and presucation as the example of the Patriarchate of Alexandria prosecution.
2- There is no dispute even by Coptic sources that the years following the invasion of Egypt marked a positive change in Copts' lives. The dispute stems from the changing attitudes by later rulers and governers of Egypt.
3- We are comparing over 1,400 years of Islamic presence in Egypt with less than 250 years of Byzantine rule which is still charachterized by most Coptics as a period mainly distinguished by its high taxation and religious intolerance.
4- Taxation protests and riots were common in Egypt by Muslims and non-Muslims.
5- Insurgency in Egypt? That I have not read about before, including during our past discussion. Would you like to post more information regarding the type of insurgency and its scale?
6- Desertation of minorities is very common. When Byzantine lost Egypt and witnessed the attitude of its Christian subjects in aiding the invaders, it was a turning mark to its own attitude toward religious minorities. For propoganda purposes, a deserted copts to Byzantine would be marked as an evidance of Muslim prosecution, and deserted Slavs to the Arabs would be used by the Abbasyids as a propoganda of the Byzantine intolerance. 

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 05:45
1- Byzantine rule ,despite it was shorter than the Islamic one, had flacuated from peaceful to oppressive, with high taxations, religious intolerance and presucation as the example of the Patriarchate of Alexandria prosecution.

So does that make it worse than under Islamic rule? I'm against the argument that Byzantine rule was harsher than Islamic rule, but I am prepared to accept that both Byzantine and Islamic rule experienced the same fluxes in regards in changes of conditions. This is not necessarily pointed at you in anyway but rather against people who ignorantly use the Byzantines as some kind of archetype of oppression.

2- There is no dispute even by Coptic sources that the years following the invasion of Egypt marked a positive change in Copts' lives. The dispute stems from the changing attitudes by later rulers and governers of Egypt.

Positive in what sense? The Copts stayed neutral during the conflict, the swapping of one regime for another regime isn't necessarily positive. But I do agree that any "positive" experiences that may have existed dissipated rapidly. The early Muslim empire was a military machine on a war footing, its demands for resources is more taxing (pun not intended) than a state balancing defense and peace (Byzantium) as it was trying to recover from a 20 year conflict with the Sassanians.

3- We are comparing over 1,400 years of Islamic presence in Egypt with less than 250 years of Byzantine rule which is still charachterized by most Coptics as a period mainly distinguished by its high taxation and religious intolerance.

Byzantium is not some empire that just appeared from nowhere, it is the Roman Empire, but in this context perhaps we should start talking about the Byzantine period in Egypt as the Roman Christian period of Egyptian history starting from the official declaration of Christianity as the official religion of the Roman Empire (Byzantium) by Theodosios I and ending with the conquest of Egypt. The idea that Copts were a helpless religious group under the Byzantines is a false assumption, the Monophysitic Copts were very influential in the heated theological debates of the 4th and 5th centuries. They even had adherents amongst Emperors and in the capital. The council of Ephesus demonstrated the power of the Coptic Christians when they managed to have Patriarch Nestorius excommunicated and banished and had the verdict of the council in favour of the Monophysites - until that council was superseded by the Council of Chalcedon which the Monophysites lost and became enemies of the state thereafter. There was a strong political undertone in what may seem to be a religious affair.

And the issue here is what? Byzantine rule was harsher than Islamic rule? I think 1400 years of Islamic presence was more detrimental to the Copts than the Byzantines. Under Islamic rule, the Coptic population became a minority, under Byzantine rule, they were consderably strong, strong enough to survive persecution and high taxation, but not under the same conditions under Islamic rule.

4- Taxation protests and riots were common in Egypt by Muslims and non-Muslims.

Proves my point, so common that it one can say it was not an improvement on Byzantine rule. If taxation was harsh for Muslims, how much harsher was it for the Copts?

5- Insurgency in Egypt? That I have not read about before, including during our past discussion. Would you like to post more information regarding the type of insurgency and its scale?

It seems everyone but the Copts have forgotten about the Coptic insurgencies!

http://www.copts.net/history.asp - http://www.copts.net/history.asp

You have a right to question this source as it is coming from a Coptic perspective. But I say one thing, history is often written by the victors. Now that the victims have a chance to write, will they be disregarded?

The scale of the insurgency rebellion has never occured under Byzantine rule. Considering the adage of preferring infidels over heretics, the Copts would by this adage have risen in rebellion against the Byzantine heretics. Obviously, there is an exaggeration of just how harsh persecution was under Byzantine rule.

6- Desertation of minorities is very common. When Byzantine lost Egypt and witnessed the attitude of its Christian subjects in aiding the invaders, it was a turning mark to its own attitude toward religious minorities. For propoganda purposes, a deserted copts to Byzantine would be marked as an evidance of Muslim prosecution, and deserted Slavs to the Arabs would be used by the Abbasyids as a propoganda of the Byzantine intolerance. 

Not necessarily, the Byzantine unleashed a fearsome persecution of the Paulicians in Armenia. It was the last serious and large state-sponsored persecution of a religious sect afterwards. Even ordinary Byzantines were appalled. Byzantine policy under Emperors was generally a cynical and pragmatic one, after the early Church councils, religion was kept at a leash by the Emperors. The shameful Paulician persecution was an anomaly.

How did these Christian subjects aid the invaders? More like neutrality as opposed to deliberate and active assistance to the invaders.

The desertion of Copts and Slavs are apples and oranges. The Slavs that deserted were recent and new miliary recruits forced to settle in new lands. The Copts deserted on the basis of experiencing Muslim rule in Egypt for 70 or so years already with its attendant high taxation, discrimination and less than benevolent rule. Is it a wonder that Egypt after 717 and still with a Coptic majority hesitated to attack Byzantium snce then? Perhaps there was a fear of desertion again. After all, the Copts who deserted actually manned a large fleet. I doubt, they would want to lose another large fleet again.

To put it succintly, Im opposed to the idea that Byzantine rule was harsher than Muslim rule thats all. I'm happy to accept the view that Byzantine rule and it malpractices was the same as under Muslim rule and vice-versa. My perspective on religious minority conditions is influenced by pragmatic and cynical analysis rather than on the basis of religious dogma.

If you ask what my view of Muslim rule in Egypt was like I'll tell you this:

1. Treatment of Copts was motivated MORE by human GREED than by the Islamic religion.

2. Treatment of Copts had a political character more often than a religious one.

3. Forced conversions did occur, invariably, but not as a consistent state-sponsored policy. If and when they occured, they was a propaganda value to it than an as act of religious merit.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 09:36

This is not necessarily pointed at you in anyway but rather against people who ignorantly use the Byzantines as some kind of archetype of oppression.
Byzantines rule and especially later governments over Egypt was mainly characterized by oppression. Most sources point out that Copts refused aiding the Patriarch Cyrus in defending Egypt, and showed no resistance to Muslims invasion. In my debate with you, I will try to use neutral sources (non-Coptic, non-Muslim, non-Egyption sites). However, you draw a lot of your refrences from this site http://www.copts.net/history.asp - http://www.copts.net/history.asp , and so I will use the Christian Coptic Orthodox of Egypt website where it states:
"Copts take pride in the persecution they have sustained as early as May 8, 68 A.D., when their Patron http://www.coptic.net/pictures/Icon.StMark-2.gif - Saint Mark was slain on Easter Monday after being dragged from his feet by Roman soldiers all over Alexandria's streets and alleys. The Copts have been persecuted by almost every ruler of Egypt. Their Clergymen have been tortured and exiled even by their Christian brothers after the schism of Chalcedon in 451 A.D. and until the Arab's conquest of Egypt in 641 A.D. "
Source:http://www.coptic.net/EncyclopediaCoptica/
Notice the word choice of "until"!

than a state balancing defense and peace (Byzantium) as it was trying to recover from a 20 year conflict with the Sassanians.
Do you realize that during the Persian occupation of Egypt, tolerance was excercised to Copts after years of Byzantine prosecution? In fact, Egyptions had no love of the Emperor in Constantinople and put up little resistance to the Persian invasion. If Byzantine taxes Egyptions heavily to defend them from more tolerant invaders, I'm not surprised by the cooperation Copts showed in defending Egypt everytime.

And the issue here is what? Byzantine rule was harsher than Islamic rule? I think 1400 years of Islamic presence was more detrimental to the Copts than the Byzantines. Under Islamic rule, the Coptic population became a minority, under Byzantine rule, they were consderably strong, strong enough to survive persecution and high taxation, but not under the same conditions under Islamic rule.
Let us not forget that Christianity was harshly prosecuted by the Romans in fear of dividng the country. Also, switching from a majority to a minority was never per se a proof of prosecution or worst treatment. Your argument is not different that saying that the Byzantine era was extremely harsh that they held on their seperate dogma and belief and refused to accept any changes. Which is actually easier to proof.
"For nearly two centuries, Monophysitism in Egypt became the symbol of national and religious resistance to Byzantium's political and religious authority. The Egyptian Church was severely persecuted by Byzantium. Churches were closed, and Coptic Christians were killed, tortured, and exiled in an effort to force the Egyptian Church to accept Byzantine orthodoxy. The Coptic Church continued to appoint its own patriarchs, refusing to accept those chosen by Constantinople and attempting to depose them. The break with Catholicism in the fifth century converted the Coptic Church to a national church with deeply rooted traditions that have remained unchanged to this day.
By the seventh century, the religious persecutions and the growing pressure of taxation had engendered great hatred of the Byzantines. As a result, the Egyptians offered little resistance to the conquering armies of Islam. "
From the library of congress: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?frd/cstdy:@field%28DOCID+eg0022 - http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?frd/cstdy:@field(DOCID+eg0022 )

Proves my point, so common that it one can say it was not an improvement on Byzantine rule. If taxation was harsh for Muslims, how much harsher was it for the Copts?
First, please pay more attention to my careful wording. In fact, you quoted me earlier with "There is no dispute even by Coptic sources that the years following the invasion of Egypt marked a positive change in Copts' lives. The dispute stems from the changing attitudes by later rulers and governers of Egypt."
So, obviously I'm not making the period of Islamic Egypt a rosy one. Later rulers of Egypt placed higher taxes on all of the population. My line does not excuse Muslims from this. Finally, Byzantine rule is not harsh because of only taxations, it is the combination of high taxations, prosecution, and religious intolerance.

It seems everyone but the Copts have forgotten about the Coptic insurgencies!
http://www.copts.net/history.asp - http://www.copts.net/history.asp
You have a right to question this source as it is coming from a Coptic perspective. But I say one thing, history is often written by the victors. Now that the victims have a chance to write, will they be disregarded?  
First, let me say that I read the posted website under the section of the Arabic and Turkish eras and I cannot find the mentioning of the word "insurgency" or "insurgencies". Maybe you can help with this.
Second, assuming that this Coptic website establishes the idea of a Coptic insurgency against the early Muslim conquest, unfortunately I cast a huge skepticism to all materials on that site due to  many historical inaccuracies and intential false historical representation. To mention one example, under that site you posted, it mentions the following:
"Unlike the Greek or Roman rulers who maintained and rebuilt some of the ancient Egyptian temples, several Islamic rulers destroyed and pillaged the ancient Egyptian temples and Churches"
Which totally contradict the known history that after the adoption of Chrisitanity as the state religion, temples were seen as pagan and were destroyed, looted. Check Wikipedia under Alexandria section:
"In the late http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_century - 4th century , persecution of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paganism - pagans by Christians had reached new levels of intensity. Temples and statues were destroyed throughout the Roman empire: pagan rituals became forbidden under punishment of death, and libraries were closed. In 391, Emperor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodosius_I - Theodosius I ordered the destruction of all pagan temples, and the Patriarch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theophilus_of_Alexandria - Theophilus , complied with his request. One theory has it that the great http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria - Library of Alexandria and the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapeum - Serapeum was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria#Destruction_of_the_pagan_temples_by_Theophilus - destroyed about this time. The female mathematician and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoplatonist - neoplatonist philosopher http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypatia - Hypatia was a prominent victim of the persecutions."
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandria

Philae temple was closed by Byzantine emperor Justinian too:
"For centuries the temple complex was the holiest site for Isis worshippers. The temple was officially closed down in the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_century - 6th century A.D. by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_emperor - Byzantine emperor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justinian - Justinian . "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philae#Greco-Roman_era - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philae#Greco-Roman_era

-------------
D.J. Kaufman

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 08:57

Do you really think thousands of baha'is would sacrifice their lives for a british agenda...what do they have to gain from this?

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com