Forum Discription: World History from 1500 to the end of WW1
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14063
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 15:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The US Civil War and Military Innovation
Posted By: Constantine XI
Subject: The US Civil War and Military Innovation
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2006 at 22:07
One thing which has played on my mind for a while now is how the US Civil War proved itself to be such a fruitful arena for the innovation and invention of military technology. It seemed that the war rechanneled the considerable American industrial and intellectual capabilities into refining the arts of war, perhaps more technologically than tactically.

A clear example is that in the year 1862 alone, 240 military patents were issued for new technology. That is an incredible figure for a single year.

One example which particularly impressed me with its scope of imagination, though not its effectiveness, was one in which two artillery pieces were set up on the battlefield. Each cannon was loaded with an iron ball, the two balls connected by a chain. The intention was for the two cannons to fire simultaneously at the enemy ranks, the two balls being sent flying. The chain inbetween them was then to cut a swathe through the enemy ranks. A pretty neat idea, though in practice I don't think they managed to refine getting both cannons to fire at exactly the same time. Just something I found rather imaginative. Please contribute any other aspects of US Civil War invention and innovation.

EDIT by Rider: I have decided to take this amongst the many upcoming military topics by nations, of which German Empire already exists. These will contain similiart information, so I hope you do not mind, all your previous posts shall be left here. Thanks,

On the 7th of September, 2006.

Replies:
Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 09:14
I do not know any, but after the Civil War ended, the people who has seen the horrors of war, might have wanted to create such a powerful thing that war would die out. For example, this was the prupose of Nobel. To create so powerful weapon that no enemy dared to attack but it unfortunately went the other way and wars became more agressive.

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 18:23
This thread has been pushed back to second page?!?! Outrageous, I will have none of it. Where are all the Yanks (and Confederates) when you need them? Well I stubbornly refuse to let this thread die, so even if I am posting purely to improve my own command of English and understanding of the topic I will continue to do so.

The use of the railroad provides some interesting insights into the new nature of warfare. One Confederate general, writing circa 1900, notes how the Confederacy may have failed to make use of a decisive advantage, in that the Confederate States of America (CSA) occupied a central position whereas her enemies were spread around the periphery. Possessing interior lines, CSA General Alexander noted that the Confederacy could have used the railroad to transport a victorious army from one front in the East or West theatre to the other and then crush the enemy there with combined forces.

In one incident he cited how General Longstreet, upon learning that Gen. Lee had defeated Hooker's army at Chancellorsville, urged Jefferson Davis to use the railroad to transfer part of Lee's army to the West for operations before the USA could recover from Chancellorsville.

The plan never went ahead, but it is interesting to look at another conflict where an enemy, greatly outnumbered and with the odds against them, achieved victory through the exact same method proposed by Gen. Longstreet all those years ago. I speak of the Russian Civil War, in which the Bolsheviks, with internal lines of supply and rail transportation, were able to quickly concentrate a mass of troops on one front at a time and systematically destroy their many opponents.

-------------

Posted By: kilroy
Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 20:07
Ok then.  The Civil War is called the first 'modern war' for some good reasons.  I think many of the leaders in both armies recognized the need for better mobility, speed, and innovation.  Two of the best examples of this would probably be the extensive use of the railroad system, the use of steam powered boats throughout Grants Campaign in the West and also the confederates attempts at trying to break the Union blockade on they're ports. 

The confederates knew they did not have the numbers to defeat the Union at sea, but at the same time they needed they're ports open for trade, weapons shipments and troop movements.  Since they didn't have the numbers they needed to think outside the box and they did.  They created many naval innovations such as the CSS Virginia (Merrimac) and the famed Hunley and a number of other such submarines (which are being discussed in another topic).  The Union also saw the need for such machines and developed the USS Monitor and started to fit many other ships with iron sides. 

The US Corp of Engineers and the Topographical Engineer Corp (1838-1863)  also blazed the way for new railroad systems to be deveopled, improve the way ships can move in rivers, such as the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers. 

The Confederate Army thrived on its aggression and depended on it and needed newer weapons, faster methods of transportation and the ability to keep up logistically in order to survive.  The Union side also needed a huge logistic's network in order to fight on two fronts far from the Northern states.  Grant made wide spread use of the Mississippi River during his western campaign and Sherman made wide spread use of the railroad to move his army quickly down during his march to the Atlantic.

The Civil war also bred the first weapon that would be banned in an International Threaty, the exploding Rifle Bullet(which was developed and used around the same time in Russia).  Land mines and machine guns were in wide spread use also. 

I'm glad you bumped this, i didn't see this topic last time i looked.  Although i hope this makes sense, i'm a bit tired.  Cheers.

Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 07:00
Ironic thing about the Civil War is that they used Napoleonic tactics whenever they had such great technology. The Napoleonic Era tactics were supposed to be used whenever you had innacurate muskets, not highly accurate rifles. This attributed to many more deaths than there really should have been. One thing I have not seen covered in this thread yet is the widespread use of trenches by the Confederates while they defended Virginia in 1864-1865. The use of these trenches were not enough to save them, but they introduced a new concept of warfare, not fighting in lines, but fighting in trenches. Later during the war, Grant, seeing how the entrenched Confederates slaughtered his troops(he charged them right into the trenches), he promised never to let such a thing happen again, and he built his own trench network.

-------------

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 07:37
Trenches were indeed a significant development, and usually overlooked. I hadn't really been aware of it until I saw Ken Burns' miniseries The Civil War (which I think holds the highest audience ratings ever for a PBS production).

You can I guess call them 'Napoleonic' tactics from the point of view of period, but actually they were more Wellingtonian than Napoleonic from the point of view of the individuals, weren't they?

It was also the first war in which cavalry - in the traditional sense of hussars, lancers, dragoons... - played no part, Stewart's and others' troops being more akin to mounted infantrymen.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 12:02
Gcle2003, I was referring to "Napoleonic" in the sense of "the era of Napoleon" not "of Napoleon". Cavalry played a small part, but they never really faced infanry(usually cavalry vs. cavalry battles were a bit common).

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 14:29
I can't believe i forgot the use of trenches!   Very good catch Barbarossa! I do believe the battle you are refering to is The Battle of Cold Harbor Viriginia in 1864 which is considered to be one of the bloodiest and most lopsided battles of the war.  Infact Grant did remark in his memiors that it was one of two attacks he wished he never have ordered during the course of the Civil War.  This was also Lee's last great victory before he surrendered to Grant. 

Grant did eventually start building his own trench network but only after his corp commanders pleaded with him to cease the frontal assualts.  Some commanders refused to charge altogether.  But you must note, it wasn't only the trench system that won that battle, Meade also poorly moblized many of the attacks on the trenches, knowingly attacking without the numbers needed to break the Confederate line.  This followed with about ten days of trench warfare where the major players were sharp shooters, cannons and mortars. 

It is quite interesting that both sides stayed loyal to the 'Napoleonic Era' while having these new weapons and means of fighting.  You must not forget though, this was the way that many of them were taught at West Point and later put to practice in the war aganist Mexico.  I don't think any of the weapon developments were sufficent enough to change the method of fighting at the time.  Even when Grant faced the trench at Cold Harbor, he still resorted to the good old charge with alot of men method.  But he was facing this problem for the first time, and he did outnumber Lee by 20,000 men, i think he thought he had sufficent numbers to take Lee's position without having to resort to many changes in his method of fighting.  But, he was wrong of course and adapted accordingly.  While they did have a high number of military innovations during the time, i do not think they changed warfare suffciently in order to have the Generals at the time reform they're method of waging warfare.  However, i am interested in how you think they should have waged war with these new innovations instead, i don't think trench warfare would've been anymore less bloody then the rank and fire method that they used. 

Just my two cents, cheers. 

Date Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 14:58
My mistake, it was typed in haste, fixed.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 07:08
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Gcle2003, I was referring to "Napoleonic" in the sense of "the era of Napoleon" not "of Napoleon".
OK.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 07:38
Originally posted by kilroy

I can't believe i forgot the use of trenches!   Very good catch Barbarossa! I do believe the battle you are refering to is The Battle of Cold Harbor Viriginia in 1864 which is considered to be one of the bloodiest and most lopsided battles of the war.  Infact Grant did remark in his memiors that it was one of two attacks he wished he never have ordered during the course of the Civil War.  This was also Lee's last great victory before he surrendered to Grant. 

Grant did eventually start building his own trench network but only after his corp commanders pleaded with him to cease the frontal assualts.  Some commanders refused to charge altogether.  But you must note, it wasn't only the trench system that won that battle, Meade also poorly moblized many of the attacks on the trenches, knowingly attacking without the numbers needed to break the Confederate line.  This followed with about ten days of trench warfare where the major players were sharp shooters, cannons and mortars. 

It is quite interesting that both sides stayed loyal to the 'Napoleonic Era' while having these new weapons and means of fighting.  You must not forget though, this was the way that many of them were taught at West Point and later put to practice in the war aganist Mexico.  I don't think any of the weapon developments were sufficent enough to change the method of fighting at the time.  Even when Grant faced the trench at Cold Harbor, he still resorted to the good old charge with alot of men method.  But he was facing this problem for the first time, and he did outnumber Lee by 20,000 men, i think he thought he had sufficent numbers to take Lee's position without having to resort to many changes in his method of fighting.  But, he was wrong of course and adapted accordingly.  While they did have a high number of military innovations during the time, i do not think they changed warfare suffciently in order to have the Generals at the time reform they're method of waging warfare.  However, i am interested in how you think they should have waged war with these new innovations instead, i don't think trench warfare would've been anymore less bloody then the rank and fire method that they used. 

Just my two cents, cheers. 

Yes, I was referring to the Battle of Cold Harbor. I believe that the Napoleonic Era tactics were for innacurate muskets, and the rifles kind of ruined the formations much quicker than should have happened. That is the problem of the American Civil War technology, it was better than Napoleonic technology, but there were no bolt-action rifles yet(not in high use though, I believe they created some type of quicker rifle, maybe not bolt-action, but close), so they could still use the old Napoelonic tactics.

-------------

Posted By: commander
Date Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 11:53
One of the major innovative weapons created during the US Civil War was the Gatling Gun. It used a hand crank to rotate and fire shots from a cartridge. You could mow down an enemy line in seconds. The only bad thing is they had a tendency to over heat.

-------------
http://www.historum.com

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 13:15
Rick Shumaker:

The advances in technology were not yet understood by the generals.  They had all studied physics and mechanics and chemistry at West Point and VPI, but the art of war was still defined by the tactics and strategy of Bonaparte and Frederick.

After 1815, there were few wars, and at the same time, the advances of the industrial revolution had outstripped the tactical practice of Napoleonic warfare.  Exactly why, I have never been sure.  In the Crimea, there were hints of "things to come," and in northern Italy in 1859, the French and Austrians had some experience with the newer technical realities.  This was especially true of railways and rifled ordnance.  Probably the time frame was not long enough for these experiences to be digested during the period of warfare from 1855 to 1871 (Crimea to Franco-Prussian, and incl ACW).

In the ACW, armies were created from scratch with few experienced soldiers, and it was reasonable to train and drill in tactics that were understood and accepted.  That insured a slow and long learning curve, and very bloody lessons.

The same thing happened in WW I.  It took a long time to react and adjust to technological advances - actually moreso than in WW II.

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 13:52
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Rick Shumaker:

The advances in technology were not yet understood by the generals.  They had all studied physics and mechanics and chemistry at West Point and VPI, but the art of war was still defined by the tactics and strategy of Bonaparte and Frederick.

After 1815, there were few wars, and at the same time, the advances of the industrial revolution had outstripped the tactical practice of Napoleonic warfare.  Exactly why, I have never been sure.  In the Crimea, there were hints of "things to come," and in northern Italy in 1859, the French and Austrians had some experience with the newer technical realities.  This was especially true of railways and rifled ordnance.  Probably the time frame was not long enough for these experiences to be digested during the period of warfare from 1855 to 1871 (Crimea to Franco-Prussian, and incl ACW).

In the ACW, armies were created from scratch with few experienced soldiers, and it was reasonable to train and drill in tactics that were understood and accepted.  That insured a slow and long learning curve, and very bloody lessons.

The same thing happened in WW I.  It took a long time to react and adjust to technological advances - actually moreso than in WW II.

Yes, thanks for the information. That is another one of the problems, the commanders knew how to use Napoleonic tactics, but they were not able to adjust to the new technology fast enough, and thus, the generals were using outdated tactics. Also, commander does bring up another thing to this thread. The Gatling Gun was a new invention, but it was so rarely used during the war. It was used more in other wars, and was a precursor to the machine gun.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 15:13
Yes, thanks for the information. That is another one of the problems, the commanders knew how to use Napoleonic tactics, but they were not able to adjust to the new technology fast enough, and thus, the generals were using outdated tactics.

Yes, that was the point i was trying to make in my above post.  The weapon that really made many commanders in the army start to reconsider the way they went into battle was the Henry Repeating Rifle.  This weapon gave one man the firepower of a dozen muzzle loading riflemen.  It did not catch on in the mainstream army until around 1862 when many states such as Kentucky, Illinois and Indiana started to buy them for they're regiments going into combat.  Infact, an example of this would be at the Battle of Altoona Pass, "What saved us that day was the fact that we had a number of Henry Rifles." - Major William Ludlows. 

This rifle also made its power be known in Shermans March when Union soldiers were armed with Henry's and would throw back many Confederate attacks with minimum losses but inflicting horrible losses on the Confederates. 

Edited by Rider: Your Quote wasn't working. If you handtype it, make sure that the first brackets are like this: [quote ] and the final ones [/quote ]

Posted By: Gundamor
Date Posted: 25-Aug-2006 at 17:16
The use of the telegraph was used quite alot in the Civil War. It was quite effective when operational and was usually something that got cut by the enemy due to its effectiveness.

The use of naval mines and torpedos though I dont think a new inovation was something that was demonstrated to be quite effective in the Civil War. The marine screw also showed how more effective it was over the paddle on steam ships.

Like in most wars medicine also progressed alot. The use of Anesthesia was something practiced a bit more in the Civil War. Prostheses and early practices of plastic surgery also showed up. The reconition of needing to get the patient to the surgeon created the ambulance corp. General sanitation also improved from it. Alot more including alot of post war medicine practices that the Civil War helped as a testing ground.

-------------
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 07:12
Originally posted by kilroy

Yes, thanks for the information. That is another one of the problems, the commanders knew how to use Napoleonic tactics, but they were not able to adjust to the new technology fast enough, and thus, the generals were using outdated tactics.

Yes, that was the point i was trying to make in my above post.  The weapon that really made many commanders in the army start to reconsider the way they went into battle was the Henry Repeating Rifle.  This weapon gave one man the firepower of a dozen muzzle loading riflemen.  It did not catch on in the mainstream army until around 1862 when many states such as Kentucky, Illinois and Indiana started to buy them for they're regiments going into combat.  Infact, an example of this would be at the Battle of Altoona Pass, "What saved us that day was the fact that we had a number of Henry Rifles." - Major William Ludlows. 

This rifle also mades its power be known in Shermans March when Union soldiers were armed with Henry's and would through back many Confederate attacks with minimum losses but inflicting horrible losses on the Confederates. 

Edited by Rider: Your Quote wasn't working. If you handtype it, make sure that the first brackets are like this: [quote ] and the final ones [/quote ]

Yes, but the problem with the large use of the rifle was that it took so much ammunition. They could fire over twenty shots per minute with the repeating rifle, compared to at most three with a regular rifle. The factories could not have possibly kept up with the large scale use of such a weapon.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 12:24
This thread has been reentitled, and formed into a military topic concentrating on the whole of the US until 1918, and also the original source of this thread: US Civil War and Military Innovation.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2006 at 13:41
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

omg Barbie's name is Rick! Whats up Ricky!!

No pointful discussion does this post start, therefore, hidden it will become.

-------------

Posted By: Crusader3943
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 09:09
Originally posted by Constantine XI

One thing which has played on my mind for a while now is how the US Civil War proved itself to be such a fruitful arena for the innovation and invention of military technology. It seemed that the war rechanneled the considerable American industrial and intellectual capabilities into refining the arts of war, perhaps more technologically than tactically.A clear example is that in the year 1862 alone, 240 military patents were issued for new technology. That is an incredible figure for a single year.One example which particularly impressed me with its scope of imagination, though not its effectiveness, was one in which two artillery pieces were set up on the battlefield. Each cannon was loaded with an iron ball, the two balls connected by a chain. The intention was for the two cannons to fire simultaneously at the enemy ranks, the two balls being sent flying. The chain inbetween them was then to cut a swathe through the enemy ranks. A pretty neat idea, though in practice I don't think they managed to refine getting both cannons to fire at exactly the same time. Just something I found rather imaginative. Please contribute any other aspects of US Civil War invention and innovation.

EDIT by Rider: I have decided to take this amongst the many upcoming military topics by nations, of which German Empire already exists. These will contain similiart information, so I hope you do not mind, all your previous posts shall be left here. Thanks,

On the 7th of September, 2006.

The first real machine gun was also invented and used during the Civil War.

-------------
Crusader3943

Posted By: DukeC
Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 02:09
The Civil War also saw the forerunner of modern AFVs in the form of armed and armored trains.

http://www.paradesquare.ca/railway/us_civil_war.htm - http://www.paradesquare.ca/railway/us_civil_war.htm

-------------

Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 08:54

One thing I have not seen covered in this thread yet is the widespread use of trenches by the Confederates while they defended Virginia in 1864-1865. The use of these trenches were not enough to save them, but they introduced a new concept of warfare, not fighting in lines, but fighting in trenches.

Ah ... no that was not a new concept. It had already been introduced in the Crimean War a decade earlier, during the great Siege of Sevastopol.

Also note that since the 17th century, forts had been used what were called "covered ways"or "advance ditches" which were basically trenches positioned in advance of the walls, used as a firing position. Sometimes the advance ditches formed a network on the field around the bastions.

Note, however, that this is not true trench warfare since trench warfare refers to defences thrown up in the field, not as part of a system of prepared defensive works. The British trenches at Sevastopol were true trench warfare, however.

The telegraph and the railroad were also used in the Crimean, although, the railroad was used in a quite limited fashion. The British built a track from their beachhead to the forward trenches at the Siege of Sevastopol; it was only a few miles long. Nothing at all like the use of railroads in the ACW.

Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 09:30
Originally posted by edgewaters

One thing I have not seen covered in this thread yet is the widespread use of trenches by the Confederates while they defended Virginia in 1864-1865. The use of these trenches were not enough to save them, but they introduced a new concept of warfare, not fighting in lines, but fighting in trenches.

Ah ... no that was not a new concept. It had already been introduced in the Crimean War a decade earlier, during the great Siege of Sevastopol.

The telegraph and the railroad were also used, although, the railroad was used in a quite limited fashion. The British built a track from their beachhead to the forward trenches at the Siege of Sevastopol; it was only a few miles long.

Actually, extensive trench warfare dates from the 16th century when new technology in fortifications aced out the advantage artillery gave against medieval walls.  The only way to attack the new "Trace Italienne" was to construct extensive (and almost total) trench lines around a besieged place--lines of circumvalation/offense--and then lines of contravalation/defense to ward off attempts at relief.

Most of this activity was done in trenches, sapping and getting close enough to bring guns to bear, while defending against counter batteries, or to mine a weak point (not new to warfare) where a breach could be effected.  Sallies by the defenders were frequent, and very nasty actions were fought in the trenches.  In many cases relieving forces concentrated on driving the besiegers from their trenches to disrupt the siege or force the besieger to lift and withdraw.   

There was a lot more trench warfare than pitched battles from about the 1550s well into the 17th cent., and even up to the Fr. Rev.

The French army made extensive use of railways in their war against Austria in Italy, 1859.  Logistics were improved, and it even made possible sending home large numbers for soldiers for "R & R."  The assumption is that French experience and observation in Crimea had an effect. 

EDIT:  Sorry to be pedantic, but I LOVE this kind of stuff.  Big%20smile 

Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 09:40
Edgewaters's diagram IS in essence the Trace Italienne.  The scarps, glacis and forward firing position (covered way) are essentially the same in many mid-19th century military engineering texts as they are in the diagrams of the engineers of the 16th century.

The method(s) of attacking these resulted in the type of trenches and trench warfare under discussion.

The bastions of fortification like Ticonderoga are little different than those of the walls and internal citidels of important European cities in like 1580.  The only real difference between those of late 16th cent. and Vauban is Vauban's far more complex concepts.  With the expense involved, it is lucky the king was in his corner.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 09:42
Well, if you want to nitpick, almost all innovations have been tried (albiet) in different forms before. What the ACW's biggest innovation was, was to bring an industrial might of a nation tomb bear.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 09:46
Originally posted by Sparten

Well, if you want to nitpick, almost all innovations have been tried (albiet) in different forms before. What the ACW's biggest innovation was, was to bring an industrial might of a nation tomb bear.

True.  The ditch surrounding even a field work was well known at least since the Roman Republic.

(nitpick?.........you hurt my feelings.  Smile )

Just wanted to make clear that very extensive trench warfare long predated Crimea and ACW.

Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 15:22
It should be remembered that railroads were of such paramount imporatnce that campaigns were conducted to protect and destroy them, v unlike before.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 20:09
Originally posted by Sparten

"Bringing the industrial might of a nation to bear" was not new at all. What do you think the British Empire with its factories and coalfields and steel mills had been doing for an entire century preceding the ACW? Industry was the power (and often the reason) behind British expansionism.

The railroad, in the way that it was used, was certainly new and unique in the ACW. Although railroads had played some minor role in previous conflicts, no conflict prior to the ACW was so defined by the use of railroads to the extent that it altered the nature of war. So was the machine gun new, although it saw little use.

Also, new ironclad designs. Although ironclads were not new per se - several navies had hit on plating warships and the French and British had sixteen each at the outbreak of the ACW - the designs of ships like the monitors was radically different, employing a rotating gun turret. The rotating gun turret for naval use was a revolution in sea warfare.

Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 20:28
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Actually, extensive trench warfare dates from the 16th century when new technology in fortifications aced out the advantage artillery gave against medieval walls.  The only way to attack the new "Trace Italienne" was to construct extensive (and almost total) trench lines around a besieged place--lines of circumvalation/offense--and then lines of contravalation/defense to ward off attempts at relief.

Hah! Well you learn something new every day. I knew sapping was ancient, but I had no idea actual trenches were employed by siegers prior to Sevastopol. It makes quite a bit of sense, though.

I'd love to see a wargame represent this. There are so few 17th/18th century wargames out there and so much has not been explored properly.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I LOVE this kind of stuff.  Big%20smile 

Yeah, me too. You ought to see the fort near where I live - its one of the latest models built in North America, and one of the largest this far west (Fort Henry in Kingston). The ditches are the coolest part - there are sally ditches leading to cannon-towers around the base of the hill on which the fort is located, covered ways on the ditches around the fort, and even firing galleys inside the counterscarp so if you managed to fight your way into the ditch, you'd really be in hot water.

Posted By: Mr. K.
Date Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 02:11
Strangely enough, the Union had a lancer regiment from Michigan during the war. What chance the generals thought men on horseback using glorified spears stood against shells, canister, and accurate rifles, while charging en masse into all of this, I don't know. It wasn't a common thing, the cavalry mostly relegated to scouting and dismounted fighting, but someone must have thought it would be useful.

-------------
The man who is blind, deaf, and silent lives in peace for 100 years.

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 09:23
Originally posted by Mr. K.

Strangely enough, the Union had a lancer regiment from Michigan during the war. What chance the generals thought men on horseback using glorified spears stood against shells, canister, and accurate rifles, while charging en masse into all of this, I don't know. It wasn't a common thing, the cavalry mostly relegated to scouting and dismounted fighting, but someone must have thought it would be useful.

Most likely it was a "fashion statement."  Some state militias and some volunteer regiments tended to ape the European armies, especially the French, in the early stages of the war.  Zouave and "Turco" uniforms were not uncommon.  You are of course right about US/CSA cavalry in the war.

Most of the European armies retained regiments of lancers into the first World War (and the Poles later).  I agree that in an age of new rifles sighted to over 1,000 yards and of more quick firing artillery it seems incongruous.  I don't know what their tactical utilization was to be, but they all most likely served more as dragoons than anything else....til the big War when most were dismounted infantry (except in the east).

Lances were a vestigial remain of chivalry I guess.  Not much chivalry after 1861. 

Posted By: Mr. K.
Date Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 16:33
Originally posted by Crusader3943

The first real machine gun was also invented and used during the Civil War.

Technically it was the Gatling Gun, which works differently from the machine gun. It is hand cranked and fires from multiple spinning barrels, while the machine gun was gas powered and was drum or belt fed.
The biggest use of the Gatling gun in the war was at Petersburg, by the troops of Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler, who had purchased 10 of the guns for his troops.

-------------
The man who is blind, deaf, and silent lives in peace for 100 years.

Posted By: Justinian
Date Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 04:13
Well it has been mentioned a lot but I personally think the major innovation was the use of the railroads.  These revolutionized the size of warfare forever.  Now you could get enormous amounts of men to one spot quick enough to avoid exhausting your supply of food.  (which could also be shipped much quicker to the army than say wagons)  After that would have to be the improvement in rifles.  Then,also the relegating of cavalry to nothing more than scouts as has been mentioned.  Interior lines were brought to a whole new level.  You can see this in the Schlieffen plan of germany for WWI.  One thing that has caught my eye is how similar the civil war was compared to WWI in the technology outstripping the tactics and the lessons being learned at a very high cost.  Just proves that theory that constant warfare produces advancements whether it be revolutionary france, renaissance italy etc.  I know it wasn't invented during the civil war, but didn't both sides use the balloon as a form of scouting for the first time in warfare?  (I know the french had balloons earlier but I don't remember it being used in warfare before the civil war)

-------------
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 01:34
Originally posted by Justinian

Well it has been mentioned a lot but I personally think the major innovation was the use of the railroads.

Railroads had been used in war prior to this, but I think the ACW was unique in the way railroads became so central to logistics and deployment and so characteristic of the conflict.

After that would have to be the improvement in rifles.

The only improvements I can think of that you might be referring to here are Minie balls, percussion caps, or rifled barrels, which were first extensively used in the Crimean.

I know it wasn't invented during the civil war, but didn't both sides use the balloon as a form of scouting for the first time in warfare?  (I know the french had balloons earlier but I don't remember it being used in warfare before the civil war)

Since the previous century (in 1794). Napoleon had an entire air corps, which was instrumental in several key victories:

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/Napoleons_wars/LTA3.htm - http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/Napoleon's_wars/LTA3.htm

Funny quote - "The Austrians feared the balloon and looked upon it as an agent of the devil that was allied to the French Republic."

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 07:10
The first really effective CinC. In previous wars the CinC was much more of an administrative position, the commanders in the field were highly independant. From 1864 Grant commanded the entire effort through telegraph. That includes Sherman, Banks and Butler/Ord, often controlling the battle himself, for example at Atlanta, he ordered a corps to attack over Sherman's head. Something which was impossible before. As a result it became possible to direct syncronized ops.

-------------

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 09:34

Also, new ironclad designs. Although ironclads were not new per se - several navies had hit on plating warships and the French and British had sixteen each at the outbreak of the ACW - the designs of ships like the monitors was radically different, employing a rotating gun turret. The rotating gun turret for naval use was a revolution in sea warfare.

I had heard that the first proper ironclad (not a Man-O-War with armour plating attached) was used by the confederates in the American Civil War. The arrival of that ship on the seen caused panic in England and France as they suddenly realised that all their warships were out-of-date.

Personally I really love the civil war from a tactical perspective. Grant played Lee superbly, and understood how to deal with a great general with a single army. He learnt his lessons from the Napoleonic wars well.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 10:12
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I had heard that the first proper ironclad (not a Man-O-War with armour plating attached) was used by the confederates in the American Civil War. The arrival of that ship on the seen caused panic in England and France as they suddenly realised that all their warships were out-of-date.

The British and French designs were not wooden sailing ships hastily converted to carry iron plating like the Merrimac, but all-steel hulled ships.

By the 1830s, British drydocks were launching new steamer ship designs totally absent of wooden supports, including oceangoing vessels.

In 1859 France launched the La Gloire, an iron-plated battleship.

In response, in 1860, Britain launched the Warrior - an all-iron hull, the first warship to feature it. In retrospect, it is often felt that the Warrior probably could have singlehandedly defeated any fleet in the world. It's not just an ironclad, it really is a dreadnought or battleship, weighing in at 9200 tons, 4.5 inch steel plates, propellors (a new technology at the time), 14.5 knots under steam. Not only was it the first all iron hulled warship, it was also the largest warship ever launched, and one of the fastest (with both sail and steam it could hit 17.5 knots). By comparison, the Monitor, launched 2 years after the Warrior, displaced under 1000 tons, featured armour plates of only 1 inch thickness, could travel at a stop speed of 8 knots, and could not safely operate on coastal waters (let alone make transoceanic trips) but was only suited to river combat.

The battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac was indeed stunning for the French and English, but not because the machines were novel - compared to battleships like the Warrior, the Monitor and similar designs were little more than light riverboats. They each had a fleet of much larger and far more powerful versions, capable of transoceanic trips. They were stunned because nobody had ever seen ironclads in battle yet.

When you see ships like the Warrior, don't be confused when you see sails. There is no wood in the hull. The reason they featured sails was because ships of that period couldn't carry enough coal for transoceanic voyages, and littoral craft were not much use for imperialist powers. So these ships featured both steam and sails (and all steel warships continued to do so, until the Royal Navy switched to oil just before WW1).

By 1862, both France and Britain had launched a small fleet or all-iron hulled warships based on the design of the Warrior.

The evolution of the hull design in later dreadnoughts comes from the Warrior. Nothing about later hulls was derived from the Monitor, whose low profile made it suitable only as a riverboat, or iron-plated wooden designs like the Merrimac or La Gloire.

Posted By: Justinian
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 00:09

Originally posted by Justinian

Well it has been mentioned a lot but I personally think the major innovation was the use of the railroads.

Railroads had been used in war prior to this, but I think the ACW was unique in the way railroads became so central to logistics and deployment and so characteristic of the conflict.

After that would have to be the improvement in rifles.

The only improvements I can think of that you might be referring to here are Minie balls, percussion caps, or rifled barrels, which were first extensively used in the Crimean.

I know it wasn't invented during the civil war, but didn't both sides use the balloon as a form of scouting for the first time in warfare?  (I know the french had balloons earlier but I don't remember it being used in warfare before the civil war)

Since the previous century (in 1794). Napoleon had an entire air corps, which was instrumental in several key victories:

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/Napoleons_wars/LTA3.htm - http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/Napoleon's_wars/LTA3.htm

Funny quote - "The Austrians feared the balloon and looked upon it as an agent of the devil that was allied to the French Republic."

Right, railroads making a huge impact on the art of war.  Size of forces increasing drastically, and the speed with which forces could be redeployed.

I was just thinking of the rifle improvements that improved the rate of fire and accuracy, so pretty much what you mentioned. 

Ah, thats right Napoleon.  I was thinking of the third version not the first.Embarrassed

Thanking for the information, edgewaters.Smile

-------------
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Posted By: Cezar
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 11:16

The evolution of the hull design in later dreadnoughts comes from the Warrior. Nothing about later hulls was derived from the Monitor, whose low profile made it suitable only as a riverboat, or iron-plated wooden designs like the Merrimac or La Gloire.
You forget about the monitors which were inspired by Monitor (what a surprise!). Even in Vietnam the US were using a ship which they called monitor. And it was the Ericsson turret what made Monitor special. Though up until WWI fixed guns were kept on the battlewagons the turret was the real enhancement.
The ship that was bat was probably USS Keokuk.

Posted By: drgonzaga
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 13:55
You hit it right on the nailhead, Cezar! The significance of the ironclad in the annals of naval warfare has little to do with hull design but the emplacement of the turret gun! True the initial problem with the "monitor" class was the unbalanced turret (the center of mass was not the center of rotation) that caused dangerous listing, but this problem was resolved by the 1890s and essentially made the casemate gun secondary. The final kink was resolved by the 1920s with the elimination of the sighting hood and the development of the delay coil. Now the USS Keokuk was not a turret gun ironclad and all that vessel proved was that an iron hull was still no match to concentrated artillery! One can say that it was the refinement of the armoured cruiser with the turret guns that laid the foundations of the battlewagons in the first decades of the 20th century.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 14:26
Captain Cowper Coles of the RN had come uo with the turret design well before ericsson and the mointor. The problem with turrents was that they were unbalanced and made the ships unsuitable for deep ocean operations, especially with Iron Clads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowper_Phipps_Coles - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowper_Phipps_Coles

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 13:11

Monitor vs Merrimack was kind of undecisive. Yet it showed the advantage of the turret, since most agree that Monitor had the upper hand. If Merrimack would have won, the turret design would have been eventually adopted, but that is the moment in history when it was proved worthy.

Submarines were used in the Civil War but what proved them worthy was WWI.

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 14:28

Originally posted by drgonzaga

The significance of the ironclad in the annals of naval warfare has little to do with hull design but the emplacement of the turret gun! True the initial problem with the "monitor" class was the unbalanced turret (the center of mass was not the center of rotation) that caused dangerous listing, but this problem was resolved by the 1890s and essentially made the casemate gun secondary.
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here. The casemate gun became unimportant long before the problem of unbalanced turrets was resolved. Even the Dreadnought class had unbalanced wing turrets.

Usually credit for the first dreadnought to eliminate the problem is given to the US South Carolina class.

In general though in considering the development of capital ship design from the mid-1900s to the turn of the century, the development of satisfactory long-range breech-loading rifled artillery was just as important as the mountings to put them in. Britain and France were closely competing on that (and Krupp's contribution was significant too). Again the US Civil War provided a useful experimental ground for their use in actual warfare.

And neither the turrets nor the guns could have been deployed without hull designs being strong enough...and engines had to be powerful and efficient enough...and muzzle velocities had to be high enough to make long barrels effective...and so on.

You can't really single out one single aspect.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 16:26
The discussion was limited to the design of the Monitor as an ironclad and was not intended as a dissertation on naval technology in refining the problems of the turret. Nevertheless, it was the turret that distinguished the development of the battlewagons via the transitional armoured cruisers. Given that the iron-hulled warship itself antedates the Civil War (HMS Warrior, 1860), and E. J. Reed's HMVS Cerberus entered naval service in Australia in 1870 upon the premise of its turret guns, it is that aspect of the rotatable gun that proved the more memorable. 

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/Gun_Data.htm - http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/Gun_Data.htm

It must be mentioned that John Ericsson pitched the turret battery (the revolving cupola) to Napoleon III in the 1850s as the transition to the iron hull was well underway and the premise was dismissed as a bit too radical and untested. The background and thoughts are captured in a contemporary document from 1862:

http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/iron_clad.html - http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/iron_clad.html

See also the following essays on that site:

http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/john_ericsson.html - http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/john_ericsson.html
http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/ - http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/

PS: There's a typo in the post above above, I believe the dating should be "mid-1800s to the turn of the century".

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 20:11

The discussion was limited to the design of the Monitor as an ironclad and was not intended as a dissertation on naval technology in refining the problems of the turret.
Well, the general topic of the thread is military (which I assume includes naval) innovation and the Civil War.
Armstrong, Whitworth and Dahlgren rifled breech-loaders, not solid-cast, were for instance just as important a part of that from a naval point of view as the development of turrets to house them in. They kind of go hand-in-hand.
Nevertheless, it was the turret that distinguished the development of the battlewagons via the transitional armoured cruisers. Given that the iron-hulled warship itself antedates the Civil War (HMS Warrior, 1860), and E. J. Reed's HMVS Cerberus entered naval service in Australia in 1870 upon the premise of its turret guns, it is that aspect of the rotatable gun that proved the more memorable. 
And Affondatore was laid down in Millwall in 1863, and delivered to the Italians in 1865, in time to become the first turretted warship to fight in a general fleet action in that fascinating mishmash of ship types and tactics at Lissa.

I'm not sure why you mentioned Warrior, which wasn't turretted, and wasn't the first ironclad, that being La Gloire a year or so earlier.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/Gun_Data.htm - http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/Gun_Data.htm

It must be mentioned that John Ericsson pitched the turret battery (the revolving cupola) to Napoleon III in the 1850s as the transition to the iron hull was well underway and the premise was dismissed as a bit too radical and untested. The background and thoughts are captured in a contemporary document from 1862:

http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/iron_clad.html - http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/iron_clad.html
Interesting enough, but I don't see any reference to turrets in the several pages.

See also the following essays on that site:

http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/john_ericsson.html - http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/john_ericsson.html
http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/ - http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/

PS: There's a typo in the post above above, I believe the dating should be "mid-1800s to the turn of the century".

Yes.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 20:27
La Gloire employed iron-sheeting over a wooden hull structure. In contrast HMS Warrior was fully iron-hulled.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 16:12

La Gloire employed iron-sheeting over a wooden hull structure.
Which is why she was called an 'ironclad'. Approve
In contrast HMS Warrior was fully iron-hulled.

I'm still not sure why you mentioned her, since she wasn't turretted. Affondatore is relevant because she was the first turretted warship of any real use at sea. Monitor was a dead-end as far as sea-going vessels are concerned.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2008 at 08:45
Originally posted by gcle2003

Monitor was a dead-end as far as sea-going vessels are concerned.
Warships means also rivers. Monitors were a significant parte of the forces of a lot of states that were at war after 1865.

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2008 at 10:25
True, which is why I said 'as far as sea-going vessels are concerned'.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2008 at 13:15
You are being argumentative since the general term "ironclad" includes all vessels whether maritime or riverine. The central issue is one of design with regard to purpose, but in terms of continuity the focus is the rotating turret gun. John Ericsson himself explained the reasons for the Monitor's specific hull design with regard to the conditions in which the vessel had to operate.

http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/monitor_size.html - http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/monitor_size.html

Thus, to call it a "dead-end" is inappropriate.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2008 at 14:42

You are being argumentative since the general term "ironclad" includes all vessels whether maritime or riverine.
I wasn't being argumentative on that point at all. I simply pointed out that in my original post I said "as far as sea-going vessels are concerned". I could equally well have written "if one ignores riverboats", or I could have said "Monitor's successors were confined to rivers and inshore waters". All of those statements happen to be true, and I wasn't arguing with anybody.

The central issue is one of design with regard to purpose, but in terms of continuity the focus is the rotating turret gun. John Ericsson himself explained the reasons for the Monitor's specific hull design with regard to the conditions in which the vessel had to operate.

http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/monitor_size.html - http://www.mariner.org/monitor/04_revunion/monitor_size.html

Thus, to call it a "dead-end" is inappropriate.

But I'm disputing the particular importance of the gun turret, at sea or anywhere else, as opposed to hull composition, hull length (Warrior was 100ft longer - nearly 50% - than any previous warship), breech-loading heavy guns, abandonment of cold-boring for guns, propulsion by propellor, and for that matter steam itself. The turret started with Monitor, agreed. Every other aspect of Monitor led nowhere, except for limited application in rivers and inshore.

The Ericsson link only emphasises the point. The turret itself was developed because the ship could not be manoeuvred in narrow waters so as to use fixed guns. The extra armour was necessary as a defence against shore batteries. Its shallow draught was to allow it to operate close inshore. Every aspect of its design points to the fact that it has no future except as an inshore/fresh water craft.

PS. What's wrong with being argumentative, anyway?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2008 at 10:26
The particular importance of an innovatio/invention is relative, gcle.
Funny, sea faring vessels are much more important for USA than for Russia, for example. So monitors were a far more useful ship for the russian than for the americans. Maybe gunboats could be considered an offspring, though distant, of Monitor. 

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2008 at 11:17

Originally posted by Cezar

The particular importance of an innovatio/invention is relative, gcle.
So is pretty well anything. Relative to the development of modern warships in general,  Monitor is not a significant innovation. As a design she was much too specialised, and moreover the design didn't introduce any new theoretical principles. Within that speciality she was of course a significant precursor of other craft. Outside it, Merrimac was more in the main evolutionary stream, though, if course not particularly innovative.

That evolutionary stream goes back to the 1840s with Guadeloupe and HMS Birkenhead (aka Vulcan) marking the introduction of iron hulls and steam, though again, being paddle-wheel driven, they were even more of a dead end.
Funny, sea faring vessels are much more important for USA than for Russia, for example. So monitors were a far more useful ship for the russian than for the americans,
I don't see how you can say that. The Russian fleet throughout most of modern history (say, 18th-20th century) was more powerful than the American.

In terms of the strategic importance of the sea to them, I'd say they come out about even. Of course more wars have been fought on Russian territory than on US territory, but in those wars in the US shallow water boats have been of important strategic value, whether on the Mississippi or Lake Erie.
 . Maybe gunboats could be considered an offspring, though distant, of Monitor. 

River gunboats, yes.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2008 at 13:22

Gcle wrote:

But I'm disputing the particular importance of the gun turret, at sea or anywhere else, as opposed to hull composition, hull length (Warrior was 100ft longer - nearly 50% - than any previous warship), breech-loading heavy guns, abandonment of cold-boring for guns, propulsion by propellor, and for that matter steam itself. The turret started with Monitor, agreed. Every other aspect of Monitor led nowhere, except for limited application in rivers and inshore.

In that respect the same can be said of the battlewagons that were the ultimate result of iron-hulled technology. They too were technological dead-ends with the advent of new offensive technologies. The battleship as a direct descendant of the ship-of-the-line is obsolete as an offensive weapon (no matter the fiasco off the Lebanese coast in the 80's). World War II settled that question. Only craft conditionally designed (as was the Monitor) prevail.

Edited in the never ending gotchas between gcle and myself.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2008 at 17:31
Actually, the Russian fleet during the 1904 War with Japan wasn't ready. IT might have been strong in numbers but it lacked the strategic plans to operate successfully on both sides of the planet.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2008 at 18:51
The question was whether the fleet was more important to Russia than the US fleet to the US. The defeat by Japan is pretty much evidence that the fleet was strategically important to Russia, since it pretty much cost them the war.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2008 at 19:10

Gcle wrote:

In that respect the same can be said of the battlewagons that were the ultimate result of iron-hulled technology. They too were technological dead-ends with the advent of new offensive technologies.
The same can be said of anything, including probably as I've been arguing elsewhere, aircraft carriers.

That isn't what 'dead-end' means. 'Dead-end' means there were no subsequent developments from that particular innovation. And, as far as sea-going vessels are concerned, Monitor had no such descendants, whereas Warrior for instance did. So did Dreadnought. (That's not a criticism of Monitor, which was never intended to be used in the open sea.)

One could I suppose consider something like Affondatore as a dead-end since though she was turretted, she was purpose-built as a ram, and rams were never used in battle apart from Lissa (as far as I know), But at least sea-going rams continued to be built for the next half-century or so, so it was not an immediate dead-end, whatever the ultimate result.

The truth of the matter is that in the mid to late 19th century the field of naval development was wide open and all sorts of innovations were taking place, with every navy looking over the shoulders of every other one, and Britain in particular playing the part of shipbuilder to the world. Singling out one aspect in particular as particularly important is as pointless as trying to determine what was of most importance in the development of the tank: the turret, the gun, the tracks, the armour, the internal combustion engine, possibly something I've forgotten, when they are all inseparable and all necessary to the development.

Nothing about Monitor was unique or essential to the development of sea-going warships.

The battleship as a direct descendant of the ship-of-the-line is obsolete as an offensive weapon (no matter the fiasco off the Lebanese coast in the 80's). World War II settled that question.
Are you suggesting that's news to anyone?
Only crafts conditionally designed (as was the Monitor) prevail.

Truism. Or wrong. Depending on what it means.

It's a truism in that all craft are designed for the conditions in which they are intended to operate: otherwise they fail.

It's wrong if it means that there are craft that are not conditionally designed.

And in this context the plural of 'craft' is 'craft'.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 13:27
I agree that Monitor is not an original design or idea. The point is that a warship proves to be good or bad only when it fights. Battlecruisers looked good, Jutland, showed their prowess. Therefore Monitor is not as important as MonitorvsMerrimack. It was the ship plus the battle that were important.
Anyway, I think that the Civil War was important as a whole, since many agree that it was the first total war.

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 19:01
whats the definition of total war?

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2008 at 12:26
Originally posted by Temujin

whats the definition of total war?

Depends if you wish to follow Clausewitz and Absolute War or Ludendorff's premise of war as the subordination of politics to military exigency. In either event, you would still have to consider the ramifications raised by 16th century Just War Theory wherein any and all actions for a satisfactory conclusion, if the cause is correct (despite their questionable morality), are justified. Some wish to apply the definition soley with respect to the resutls of industrialization upon the technological capacities for the conduct of war so as to restrict definition within the parameters of the 19th and 20th centuries; while others seek to emphazise the historical spectrum and underscore that even under the Ludendorff premise, total wars have an ancient lineage. Guess much of the controversy stems from one's perception of war as either formalized ritual conducted under accepted mutual conventions and rules of engagement or as the full mobilization of one society for the purpose of "eliminating" another.

Some might state there is scant difference between the total destruction of Baghdad in the 13th century (1258) and the nuclear devastation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (1945) as a means to terminate conflict, and the recourse to technological finery nothing more than a sophistry.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2008 at 14:34
Try wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_war - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_war
Total war is distinguished by its unprecedented intensity and extent. Theaters of operations span the globe; the scale of battle is practically limitless. Total war is fought heedless of the restraints of morality, custom, or international law, for the combatants are inspired by hatreds born of modern ideologies. Total war requires the mobilization not only of armed forces but also of whole populations. The most crucial determinant of total war is the widespread, indiscriminate, and deliberate inclusion of civilians as legitimate military targets

I think the underlined phrases apply to American Civil War.

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2008 at 17:36
yeah thats exactly where i wanted to get to. so all conflicts ever that involved tribal forces are Total Wars according to definition because in tribal societies each able man is a warrior and tribal forces like Huns deliberately also kill civilians, or for example natives killing settlers in their lands. therefore we can exclude the ACW as first Total War unless we restrict the definition to "civilized" industrial societies.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2008 at 19:35

I agree with Temujin, but don't agree that the ACW involved the mobilisation of entire populations. I also don't think the inclusion of civilians as targets was either widespread or indiscriminate.

Even WW2, at least for the British and Americans, wasn't total by the 'entire population' criterion, but it was closer to total than the ACW.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2008 at 12:32
Originally posted by Temujin

yeah thats exactly where i wanted to get to. so all conflicts ever that involved tribal forces are Total Wars according to definition because in tribal societies each able man is a warrior and tribal forces like Huns deliberately also kill civilians, or for example natives killing settlers in their lands. therefore we can exclude the ACW as first Total War unless we restrict the definition to "civilized" industrial societies.
Point taken, indeed the conflicts at the beginning of the human society are total wars, according to the definition so it is probably restricted to conflicts starting from the late midlle age, I don't know exactly. Some of our leaders adopted  the scorched earth tactic when fighting the ottomans, and that also comes close to the definition.
I'm not an expert on ACW so my statement was only based on what I've read in several articles regarding this conflict. And large populations were indeed mobilized (not the whole p[opulation which is slightly different). While for civilians being directly targeted, most use Sherman's incursion as an example. I reapeat, I don't have extensive knowledge of the ACW.

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 03:27

While for civilians being directly targeted, most use Sherman's incursion as an example. 
Sherman systematically targetted civilian infrastructure.  Civilian casualties during Sherman's march, however, were very few.

The only part of the ACW where civilians were specificlly targetted on a large scale was the dirty war in Kansas / Missouri. In these states, most of the fighting both before and during the war was carried out be irregular units (Union "Jayhawker" militias, Confederate "Bushwacker" groups) using terror tactics. To the Confederacy's credit, most irregular Bushwackers or Ranger groups were never officially part of the Confederate army. The Union Army not only directly sponsored "Jay Hawker" militias, but converted several vicious militia groups into offical Union regiments.

In other areas civlians were specifically targetted, but on a far smaller scale. These areas include:
Appalachian Areas of Tennesse, North Carolina (Pro union locals targetted by Confederate militias
West Virginia (Pro Confederate Partisan Rangers / Pro Union militias terrorize opposing civilians)

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 08:07
Originally posted by Cryptic

While for civilians being directly targeted, most use Sherman's incursion as an example. 
Sherman systematically targetted civilian infrastructure.  Civilian casualties during Sherman's march, however, were very few.
I stand corrected. That's what I meant. Thank you.

The only part of the ACW where civilians were specificlly targetted on a large scale was the dirty war in Kansas / Missouri. In these states, most of the fighting both before and during the war was carried out be irregular units (Union "Jayhawker" militias, Confederate "Bushwacker" groups) using terror tactics. To the Confederacy's credit, most irregular Bushwackers or Ranger groups were never officially part of the Confederate army. The Union Army not only directly sponsored "Jay Hawker" militias, but converted several vicious militia groups into offical Union regiments.

In other areas civlians were specifically targetted, but on a far smaller scale. These areas include:
Appalachian Areas of Tennesse, North Carolina (Pro union locals targetted by Confederate militias
West Virginia (Pro Confederate Partisan Rangers / Pro Union militias terrorize opposing civilians)
I know almost nothing about these. Sorry.

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 08-Aug-2008 at 17:04
^
You are welcome.

As a side note....
The sports teams of the University of Kansas are called Jay Hawks, after the pro union militias with brutal reputations.  Meanwhile the word to Bushwack (brutal pro confederate militias) means in American English to killy by ambush, treachery, or deception. 

No sports team would be called The BushWackers, but the name Jayhawks is ok. I guess it just shows that there are different standards for victors in any warWink

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2008 at 15:34
Originally posted by gcle2003

I'm not sure why you mentioned Warrior, which wasn't turretted, and wasn't the first ironclad, that being La Gloire a year or so earlier.

I think probably because Warrior was not really just a steel-clad ship like La Gloire, but the first steel hulled warship and thus an extremely important first in the evolutionary line of modern warships. 

Posted By: Nick1986
Date Posted: 16-Dec-2012 at 11:19
The crew of US observation balloons had a cap badge bearing the letters BC (Balloon corps). However, this was quickly discarded to avoid mockery from other soldiers
http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/civil-war-ballooning/ballooning-during-the-seven.html - http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/civil-war-ballooning/ballooning-during-the-seven.html

-------------
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!

Posted By: BergoXX
Date Posted: 29-Mar-2015 at 17:52
Various photos of American Civil War

http://www.oldpicz.com/photos-of-the-civil-war-in-the-united-states/ - http://www.oldpicz.com/photos-of-the-civil-war-in-the-united-states/

Posted By: J.A.W.
Date Posted: 14-Apr-2015 at 02:03
Odd that the Europeans 1/2 a century later - had to re-learn most of the costly lessons
so hard-learned in the ACW, but at least the 'rules' of campaign conduct had been written..
..& which were still largely part of the 'Gitmo' style..
..'Military Commission' type of 'justice' utilized by Cheney/Rumsfeld neocons.. 

Posted By: J.A.W.
Date Posted: 16-Apr-2015 at 05:56
Earlier mention of 'Cold Harbor' with the dreadful mine blast  'Crater' debacle,
( & graphically shown in the movie) was something that was re-tried in WW1,
although a similar scheme was also presented inthe movie  'Captain Alatriste',
set in the 17th century.. 

Interestingly, neither ACW movies  'Cold Harbour' nor 'Glory' accurately represent the harshly
'gun fodder' nature of the Union Army usage of  'coloured troops' Afro-American soldiery units..

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com