Print Page | Close Window

ALEXANDER, where should I start with the

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mesopotamia, Near East and Greater Iran
Forum Discription: Babylon, Egypt, Persia and other civilizations of the Near East from ancient times to 600s AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1364
Printed Date: 16-Apr-2024 at 16:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ALEXANDER, where should I start with the
Posted By: Guests
Subject: ALEXANDER, where should I start with the
Date Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 20:19
Cyrus, help me out man....
Should I begin with that all Macedonians were blonde-haired northern European looking folks or should I comment on more fundamental mistakes like a quote in the latter part of the movie when Alexander says that everyon was a slave undeer Persian rule, or should I stick to practical mistakes like making "Babylon" look like Susa and Persepolis at times? Can someone add more?

Replies:
Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 14:19

Macedonians could be blonde but was Roxanna black? Babylon could look like Susa and Persepolis but was it more important than them?!

-------------

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 15:43

The next Iran related historical movie coming out seems to be this one. Lets hope it has a little less prejudice

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430431/ - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430431/

Posted By: YusakuJon3
Date Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 20:05
When I looked at some of the casting for Stone's 'Alexander' (especially the part for Roxane), I had my doubts...

But, yes, I'm certain that Oliver Stone took quite a few liberties with the history of Alexander III of Macedon.  But consider the sources; largely fragmentary writings, some of which were put down several generations after the man was dead and gone and his empire had already disintegrated and was changing hands.  Mostly, I think Stone was approaching Alexander like the Hollywood producer that he is.  Historical accuracy was the least of his worries.

That doesn't mean that I might not rent the movie when it comes out on DVD, but I'd have to take it with a grain of salt when I see Rosario Dawson start dashing about in a room wearing only the knife that Mr. Stone decided to write into the scene...

-------------
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)

Date Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 09:17
Her ti*s weren't so bad!

Date Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 13:36
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Macedonians could be blonde but was Roxanna black? Babylon could look like Susa and Persepolis but was it more important than them?!

assyrians was the gratest and the others like persia and the babylonians stole assyrian war tecnincs....and used assyrian generals in their armys,,,

-------------

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 14:05

assyrians??  do they still exist?

Posted By: dark_one
Date Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 16:12
 They are an ethnicity in Iraq, much like the Persians which are not the Arabs living in Iran but certain Souther Kyrgyzy tribes.

Posted By: J.M.Finegold
Date Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 20:31
Well Roxanne was from the Eastern Persian Empire, and last time I checked they have either black or brown hair.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Dec-2004 at 04:28

still the hairs are black  but not the body they are white

Posted By: Atourian
Date Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 00:45
I think the movie did not capture the "Macedonian" atmosphere.

It's hard to describe. I kinda feel some sort of relation to the style of ancient Macedonian culture. As I was watching Alexander the Great on the History Channel (3 hours long), I could almost picture how Alexander looked and acted, like that time he was seriously injured. I could imagine myself right there when the rest of the troops were rushing to back him up too quickly, breaking the ladders. And then his death. And later his statues to establish his presence at the table.

I haven't even seen the Alexander movie yet but I can conclude that it does not capture the Macedonian atmosphere just by looking at the TV ads. It's too goldy. And that's not even Alexander. My supernatural abilities tell me he was not blonde. And is that Angelina Jolie?

Since opening Wednesday to get a jump-start on the Thanksgiving holiday, the film has earned $21.6 million. The independently financed film, a dream project of Stone's for 15 years, reportedly cost more than $150 million to make. ...

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 01:16
what a coincidence, my super natural abilities told me the movie sucked. The historical inacuracies would have bothered me more if i could see them over all the acting. There are pre-battle speeches in RTW better than Colin Farrals. Bad pick indeed for Roxanna. I know i have bashed the movie too much but Alexander deserved more. Caligula was better time spent.

------
read once that 400,000 claim assyrian heritage world wide, correct if wrong.

Posted By: Atourian
Date Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 00:12
Response to Catt:
There are 400,000 Assyrians in the U.S, with large concentrations in Chicago (85,000), Detroit (100,000), the Bay Area (40,000), Los Angeles and San Diego (50,000), Phoenix (8,000), New York (15,000) and Boston (5,000). In Iraq there are 1.5 million Assyrians (also known as Chaldeans and Syriacs). Nearly 90% of Iraq's refugees in America are Assyrian. About 5 million worldwide.
But some Chaldeans and Syriacs don't call themselves Assyrian. Maybe the Chaldeans are ethnically Chaldeans and maybe the Syriacs are ethnically Syriacs/Aramaeans. And if I say the term Assyrian is also a nation, things can either make more or less sense depending on the way you think of it.

Date Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 00:17
ok, so it was 400k in the US? thanks.

Posted By: Faran
Date Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 13:55

Originally posted by dark_one

They are an ethnicity in Iraq, much like the Persians which are not the Arabs living in Iran but certain Souther Kyrgyzy tribes.

WHAT!?!?  Iranians are NOT Arabs!  We have a different language, different language family, different race, different culture...Arabs are semites, Iranians are Indo-Europeans.

There are very, very few Arabs living in Iran other than temporary Iraqi war refugees (yes, Mesopotamians have almost all become Arabs) as unfortunately nobody likes Arabs in Iran.

There are a fair share of Arabicized Iranians, though.

Assyrio-Chaldeans are in Iran as well as Iraq.

Date Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 14:08
Originally posted by AssYRIAN_WOrrIOR

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

assyrians was the gratest and the others like persia and the babylonians stole assyrian war tecnincs....and used assyrian generals in their armys,,,

That implies that Assyrians were only a fraction of those Persians who employed their ideas

Assyria had a strong military, a really impressive empire you are right.  But their economy could not support it very well, sadly for them.

Posted By: Sabzevarian
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 03:01
The movie did suck. I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

It was somewhat amusing at times, though. their justification for invasion (leading to Babylon) and war speeches, etc, reminded me of the same loose proofs/justification used to invade Iraq (leading to Baghdad)

Though one thing I did like overall, it didn't try to make it politically correct, it showed how some people really thinked, etc.   Would be nice if it had been a good movie as well..

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 11:13

someone else paid for your tiket  or what?

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 11:34

Posted By: Sabzevarian
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 19:53

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 21:18
muhaha, Stone is an idiot. It opens today in London and he is blaming the movie's failure in the US on
"raging fundamentalism in morality".

Perhaps it was you butchering history and using bad actors?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050105/ennew_afp/afplifestylebritain_050105233953 - http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050105/ennew_ afp/afplifestylebritain_050105233953

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 06:25

I read somewhere that Aelxander was actuallya blond. And in a BBC documentary, the narrator said he had red hair. What did Alexander look like?

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 08:44

i think he had a light brown hair

and he was between 160 cm to 170 cm in height

the only statues shows his real look are the once made when he was alive but those were destroyed and there are some Copies of these statues made by the Romans 100s of years after Alexander's death so i guess those are the closer ones shows how he looked like

and there is some coins showing his face and those are made during his life time and after

but they are not very good at telling how he looked like

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 19:03
what a HORRIBLE movie, it got EVERYTHINg it could have gotten wrong!  and SOOOO boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   At least they had the guts to show him as bi but even that was actually downplayed and was such a stupid waste of time int he movie, there are like 2 (LAME) battles and its just........so stupid.  A travesty of film and expense.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 19:19
Originally posted by Tobodai

At least they had the guts to show him as bi but even that was actually downplayed.

Apparently Stone is planning to cut some of that for the DVD release thinking that was the factor that contributed to the very low sales figure. He seems to still be in denial

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 19:55

Ill tell you what was responsible for the low sales figure, LAAAAAAAME movie, boring presentation!

If anything the bi stuff helped because alot of females I knew wanted to see Colin Farrel make out with a guy!  That was prolly the only reason they went in the first place!

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Dari
Date Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 22:35
It made me feel ashamed at being to a Persian. : (

-------------

Dari is a pimp master

Posted By: Perseas
Date Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 08:56
Originally posted by azimuth

i think he had a light brown hair

and he was between 160 cm to 170 cm in height

Not so! Alexander's height was around 1.40-1.45 cm.

Date Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 07:40

yes i read that somewhere

but that is too short and i think it was based on something to do with militery equipments they think it belonged to alexander

i guess it is more than 145 cm based on some of his statues

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 09:02

He was shorter than usual, that much we know. But there's no way to know with accuracy. Taking into account (from sceletons of the era) that back then the greeks varied from 1:60 - 1:67 we can say that either:

1. He was a short guy within that range

or 2. He was even shorter!

In my mind I imagine him somewhere like 1:60

Picture:

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 09:19
Originally posted by azimuth

yes i read that somewhere but that is too short and i think it was based on something to do with militery equipments they think it belonged to alexander

i guess it is more than 145 cm based on some of his statues

Yep, we can tell precisely that Phillip's height was 1.60. This is because of his armour which was discovered some decades ago from a greek archeologist in Vergina-Greece. We do know from ancient sources that Alexander was reaching Phillip's shoulders.

Funny, but it seems shortness seems to be a common feature in military geniouses.

Posted By: Qnzkid711
Date Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 10:39
Actually I have went to  places like Montenegro and places in Macedonia and I noticed a lot of blond haired people. I guess that would be attributed to other civillizations from the north moving in. In my old land, Albania, I did not notice ANY blond haired people. But then again Albanians and people from Bosnia and Montenegro arent decendants of the same people.  

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 11:14
Meh, there still are, and were Blonds in ancient Greece, and people back then also occasioanly belached their hair. I should thing that whining about hair colour should be very very low on the list of percieved inaccuracies, but usualy its the first one to get any attention.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 20:28
Originally posted by Aeolus

Funny, but it seems shortness seems to be a common feature in military geniouses.

Well, not always.  Cyrus the Great was very tall,  and I believe Charlemagne was 6'4", which for his time was ridiculous.  Peter the Great, Richard the Lionhearted, George Washinnton, etc.  But sorry to deviate.

Posted By: Hellinas
Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 21:12

According to Plutarch and Appian Alexander was described to have an athletic frame, not taller than the common, and a white and ruddy complexion. The expression of his eyes had something liquid and melting and the hair which stood up over his forehead gave the suggestion of a lion.
This might actually have nothing to do with color, since we know that he was oftenly depicted as Heracles with a lion on his head, a probable reference to his devine origin. We know that according to the myth he laid heavy emphasis on his descent from the Homeric heroes, And that in other occasions he claimed to be the son of Dias and demanded to be called so.

>>people back then also occasioanly belached their hair<<

Actually there is alot of evidence in literature and artifacts that prove that "blonds" did exist in ancient Hellas but were acually concidered  as an "illness" and neither were the predominant "color" thus proving the "Nordic theory" to be false.

The author of Aristotelis Physiognomica claims that both excessive paleness and excessive swarthiness are indicative of cowardice. Aristotle in the Eudemian Ethics mentions that "some men are blue eyed (glaukoi) and others black eyed (melanommatoi) because a particular part of them is of a particular quality" without assigning any moral superiority on either of the types. In the same passage, he continues that the blue-eyed man (glaukos) does not see clearly, an error which illustrates that he did not believe in a superiority of blue-eyed individuals. Indeed, the Greeks in general were somewhat repulsed by blue eyes, because of their rarity and association with disease (cataract and glaucoma), as Maxwell-Stuart, P.G., 1981, Studies in Greek colour terminology, vol.1 "Glaukos", Leiden : Brill in a complete study of all the uses of the adjective (glaukos) shows: Instinctive fear of blindness must be very strong among all sighted human beings, so their immediate reaction to such an eye will manifest itself in a repulsive frisson. Men will wish to ward off a similar fate from themselves.

Healthy eyes of that colour therefore have something unnatural about them, and their relative infrequence in Greece proper (and, indeed, in Crete), will have aroused a similar instinctive hostility. Fear of the unknown and of the unusual would contribute to the notion that possessors of such eyes must be malign; hence the long association of blue and the Evil Eye which has lasted in Greece and the surrounding area until modern times. Not surprisingly, these feelings of hostility would be strengthened by knowledge that foreigners from the cold North - those dangerous, incursive, un-Greek people - had blue eyes. The author of Aristotle's On Colours mentions that infants are born with light-colored hair but their hair turns to black as they grow up. Hence, unlike Nordics who retain (to some degree) the paedomorphic trait of blondness, Hellenes appear to possess mostly dark hair in adult life. There are a number of references in the Greek authors in the practice of women dyeing their hair blond (e.g., in Euripides) or using artificial means (white lead) to lighten their complexion.

The document that proves the theory to be false:

Since the image can't be seen visit:

http://dienekes.angeltowns.net/texts/nazigermany/ - http://dienekes.angeltowns.net/texts/nazigermany/

Posted By: Qnzkid711
Date Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 15:14
Originally posted by Atourian

I think the movie did not capture the "Macedonian" atmosphere.

It's hard to describe. I kinda feel some sort of relation to the style of ancient Macedonian culture. As I was watching Alexander the Great on the History Channel (3 hours long), I could almost picture how Alexander looked and acted, like that time he was seriously injured. I could imagine myself right there when the rest of the troops were rushing to back him up too quickly, breaking the ladders. And then his death. And later his statues to establish his presence at the table.

I haven't even seen the Alexander movie yet but I can conclude that it does not capture the Macedonian atmosphere just by looking at the TV ads. It's too goldy. And that's not even Alexander. My supernatural abilities tell me he was not blonde. And is that Angelina Jolie?

Since opening Wednesday to get a jump-start on the Thanksgiving holiday, the film has earned $21.6 million. The independently financed film, a dream project of Stone's for 15 years, reportedly cost more than $150 million to make. ...

That special was awesome. I saw it also.

Posted By: Mangudai
Date Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 15:22
Why is haircolor that important?

Posted By: Sikander
Date Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 12:11

I spent 3,8 euros (low fare ticket) and allmost 3 hours viewing that movie. I still weep about it...

The fighting scenes were nice, though.

Posted By: ramin
Date Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 19:39
Why is haircolor that important?

portraying characters in a historical movie is one of the most important issues that MUST be studied in detail. Stone wrote the screenplay based on his image of Alexander, who was his childhood hero. Stone found the most legendary story about the man and tried to portray him the way he always pictured.

In my opinion, besides the obvious mistakes Stone made in creating a "true" film, the movie itself didn't carry much weight of its title. the cinematography was horrible. the directing was not as expected esp. in the war scene with Persians there was a scene where blood shed from a wrong place! He even didn’t put Persepolis in the movie – maybe he didn’t even know what persepolis was – burning down Persepolis is one of the key parts of Alexander’s story and he even didn’t bother mentioning it. I only liked two things about the movie, one was Val Kilmer's performance, and the other was the music; Vangelis is my second favorite composer.

Posted By: HulaguHan
Date Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 18:51

Azimuth...

These Semitic guys such as Assyrians, Egyptians, Sumerians, Babylonians are your real brothers. Arabs were living and establishing countries before islam man.

And they continue living in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Palestine, Lebanon, etc...

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2005 at 10:27
Originally posted by HulaguHan

Azimuth...

These Semitic guys such as Assyrians, Egyptians, Sumerians, Babylonians are your real brothers. Arabs were living and establishing countries before islam man.

And they continue living in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Palestine, Lebanon, etc...

what this has to do with this topic?!!

also ancient Egyptians were not semitic as far as i know

-------------

Posted By: oslonor
Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 06:57
You should see my blog on Alexander

Persians and hollywood
http://oslonor.blogspot.com

-------------

Posted By: Rakhsh
Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 08:30
Ohh Alexander has always been potrayed wrongly so are Greeks, which is a true crime. They are always potrayed to look more like Northern Europeans cause they try to claim they are from this type of culture etc Greeks are Greeks, and he was not Greek he was Thracian and Macedonian

-------------
Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony

Posted By: PrznKonectoid
Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 10:20
Basically what they are looking to do is to prove that this is their heritage, that they come from a long line of western civilization dating back to the Greeks, cause we all know northern Europe was not really civlized until after the Roman empire.

-------------
Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com - http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 10:24
More likely its down to US demographics me thinks.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 10:49
yeah, but I still think they should have chosen actors which look Greek, There are many in the US. as well as many Iranians or at-least semi-Iranian looking people, not blacks.

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 10:53
How about Billy Crystal.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 12:26

NOt a perfect fit, but MUCH better than the actors they chose.

Sean connery also wouldn't be a bad choice.

-------------
or join our forums
FORUM

Posted By: khalid bin walid
Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 12:54

Making Roxana black(!) makes about as much sense as making alexander himself black. How about casting Morgan Freeman as the next alexander. Now that, I would like to see. The ancient Bactrians were probably no darker and maybe lighter then those ancient pre-slav Greeks( the region is about -20 for half the year!) For those who say it is a small matter, why is there such a fuss about Alexanders homosexual potrayal from the greek side. It matters bacause it contributes to the underlying subconcious views of people. Those Greeks genuinly interested in real history should protest about this as much as about their own issues, otherwise the visible bias detracts from their arguments a little. Historical revisionism does us all a disservice.

On a seperate issue, Luke Goss! as the persian king in that upcoming movie. Is this the guy from Bros- the pop band!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430431/ - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430431/

------------------------------------------------------------ ------

"Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true."

DEMOSTHENES

"Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coattails."

CLERENCE DARROW

Posted By: Kamran the Great
Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 04:08

did anyone else find it hilarious that the Persians spoke English with an accent, but the Greeks spoke perfect fluent English ???

What a sad movie that was.

I hate to think that I wasted my time watching it.

Posted By: Digenis
Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 16:34
come on!!!
I think that Alexander was by far the most historical accurate film hollywood presented-and i dont think there could be smth more accurate.

If anyone here had read ancient sources ,he could recognize huge parts of the script were just a transcription from the ancient writers!!

Ok,we could find some accuracies ,-like black Roxani(anyway she had a magnificent body) - but these are of minor significance.

I found the film boring-except Gaugamela battle which i think was the most exciting ancient battle i have ever seen.
But the main failure ,ithink,was the fail to present the real vision of Alexander.
The film was concentrated on his relationship with Hephaistion- i dont deny it of course-but Alexander was far more things than that-Good and Bad things..
And the man was always desperate,a mom's boy !

Anyway..although as a total i didnt like the film,i think only documentaries (and not all) can reach its accuracy.

-------------

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 16:39
I agree with Digenis.The film is very ACCURATE

Except for the parts with Hephestion and Bagoas,the film was not boring.Especially the battle of Gaugamela has become my favorite battle in cinema.I can't stop watching this battle.

-------------
RomiosArktos of many colors and shapes

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 16:40
Originally posted by Kamran the Great

did anyone else find it hilarious that the Persians spoke English with an accent, but the Greeks spoke perfect fluent English ???

Have you ever played "Rome Total War"?
There all the other ancient people (Greeks,Parthians,ETC)  speak with funny accent, when Romans speak english like John Rambo

Always the "good guys" speak like "us"

-------------

Posted By: Iranian41ife
Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 17:19

no the movie was highly inaccurate:

1) alexander did not have blonde hair and blue eyes.

2) alexander was not trying to spread democracy and freedom

3) the movie only showed the "good" things alexander did.

-------------
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 17:37
Originally posted by Iranian41ife

no the movie was highly inaccurate:

1) alexander did not have blonde hair and blue eyes.

2) alexander was not trying to spread democracy and freedom

3) the movie only showed the "good" things alexander did.

1)Alexander's hair color is not certain.Most claim that it was fairy blond,others mainly based on Pompey's "battle of Issos" mosaic claim that it was brown/black.

2)Yes he was-either he really was or it was just propaganda.

3)like what ?

-------------

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 17:56

Originally posted by Digenis

1)Alexander's hair color is not certain.Most claim that it was fairy blond,others mainly based on Pompey's "battle of Issos" mosaic claim that it was brown/black.

the blond hair thing is western propaganda that came up in western films depicting the white man conquering the orients and stuff like that.

most logical people know his hair was black/brown.

no he wasnt, infact, he destroyed democracy in greece before he went on his campaign in Persia.

3)like what ?

the good things or the bad things?

-------------
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 18:09
Like it or not is the most historical accurate movie about Alexander ever made. Almost every scene is taken from ancient historical books - even the scene with Bagoas.  The bold view of Alexander's bisexualy for me is a plus

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 18:12

Originally posted by Aegipan

Like it or not is the most historical accurate movie about Alexander ever made. Almost every scene is taken from ancient historical books - even the scene with Bagoas.  The bold view of Alexander's bisexualy for me is a plus

lol, accurate with some propaganda and and some classical western bias thrown in.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 18:12

the blond hair thing is western propaganda that came up in western films depicting the white man conquering the orients and stuff like that.

most logical people know his hair was black/brown.

no he wasnt, infact, he destroyed democracy in greece before he went on his campaign in Persia.

3)like what ?

the good things or the bad things?

1) "Alexander had light skin, blond hair,and melting blue eyes.."
Plutarch -Alexander

Ok, i suppose ancient historians are not among "all logical" people.

2)Alexanders propaganda-and partially true -was firstly that he was bringing freedom to the Greek cities of Asia -and revenge for the Persian Invasion in Greece.
And accept it or not the cities he founded brought civilization to the far eastern areas of his empire.

3)both

-------------

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 18:19

1) "Alexander had light skin, blond hair,and melting blue eyes.."
Plutarch -Alexander

Ok, i suppose ancient historians are not among "all logical" people.

your source?

2)Alexanders propaganda-and partially true -was firstly that he was bringing freedom to the Greek cities of Asia -and revenge for the Persian Invasion in Greece.

he wasnt bringing freedom to anyone, he was conquering them, just like he conquered the greek city states, and savagly kept them under his control.

alexander destroyed democracy in greece, he wasnt a friend to the other greek cities, he was trying to conquer them all, just the same as he was trying to do with persia.

And accept it or not the cities he founded brought civilization to the far eastern areas of his empire.

how dare you talk to us about civilisation?

alexander destroyed civilisation, he didnt bring it.

3)both

the destruction of countless persian texts and the burning of perspolis.

the movie just made him look like a hero, when in reality there is nothing heroic about him.

if he is a hero than so is ghenghis khan, attila the hun, etc...

-------------

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 18:39
well
1)Plutarch -i wrote it.
2)The cities founded in Scythia,Gedrosia,Arachosia etc.brought civilization there .
The hellenistic era -with the empires of Seleucids,Ptolemeyes,The Greek kingdom of Bactria - was an era of progress for science,literature and philosophy.
3)comparing attila with the student of Aristotle proves ignorance.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 19:17

well
1)Plutarch -i wrote it.

i need a source, i can make up a quote without posting a source too. i need proof.

2)The cities founded in Scythia,Gedrosia,Arachosia etc.brought civilization there .
The hellenistic era -with the empires of Seleucids,Ptolemeyes,The Greek kingdom of Bactria - was an era of progress for science,literature and philosophy.

are you kidding me? the sogdian kingdom, the bactrian kingdom, all of these were around even before the achaemenid empire got founded! there was civilisation there!

and how dare you say the selucids brought civilisation. while you europeans were in your caves and mud huts the elamites, persians, medeans, sumerians, etc... were living in cities and palaces.

dont talk to us about civilisation. if anything, alexander should have brought civilisation to europe form the east, because besides greeks, there was no other european civilisation.

3)comparing attila with the student of Aristotle proves ignorance.

both were conqueres were they not? if alexander is a hero for conquering then so should attila.

-------------

Posted By: yazzmode621
Date Posted: 04-May-2006 at 20:19

What I find funny about all of this is Alexander is Macedonian NOT Greek.  Alexander and his Macedonian army fought against Greeks and Persians. 

Macedonians were not/are not Greeks.  They are not today nor were they in ancient times. 

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 06:51
Originally posted by yazzmode621

What I find funny about all of this is Alexander is Macedonian NOT Greek.  Alexander and his Macedonian army fought against Greeks and Persians. 

Macedonians were not/are not Greeks.  They are not today nor were they in ancient times. 

yes...now turn by the other side and sleep well...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 07:04

well
1)Plutarch -i wrote it.

i need a source, i can make up a quote without posting a source too. i need proof.

Well,it would be useful,before judging all Alexander had done in his life,to READ omething by the sources,such as Plutarch ,Arrian !

I m sure there are many good libraries in Iran.

Then we can discuss about Alexander in a more serious way.

are you kidding me? the sogdian kingdom, the bactrian kingdom, all of these were around even before the achaemenid empire got founded! there was civilisation there!

and how dare you say the selucids brought civilisation. while you europeans were in your caves and mud huts the elamites, persians, medeans, sumerians, etc... were living in cities and palaces.

There was civilization in the East of course-

But u re trying to present Alexander as Attila (!) ,or other nomad warlords that the only thing the y ve done was destroying civilization.

Alexander had commited slaughters-i dont believe in a "ideal Alexander" !- sometimes acting with a programm-in order the other cities to surrunder willingly,sometimes acting like a teenager.

But obviously,Alexanderwas the man who  visioned and in a way founded the Hellenistic civilization -causing a bloom of science and philosophy in the east,strenghten and spread the classical Greece achievements.

-------------

Posted By: BlindOne
Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 07:35

I will never stop to fight agaist it.

obviusly you support you opion by basic the term Nation in a gene/blood base. I am sorry but people with such ideas brought too much pain in the world.

Nations are base in common languadge, religion (when we talk about nations in the past) and a common sense of we are the same.

Like it or not the macedonias in the historical time that we talk about have: The same languadge with greeks, the same religion andthe same common sense that they are the same with the others greeks. So why aren't greeks????

I really can't understant some dudes that believe a "scientist' that claim: macedonias wasn't greeks because in their Y chromosom they have a different gene......

Pure stupinity, isn't it...

-------------
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 10:58
Another guy trying to rewrite history.  The Macedonians were a foreign people who dressed similiar to Celts.  The Greeks considered them brutes and barbarians.  The Macedonians invaded and crushed Greece and then adopted Greek culture.  It was a long time ago but it happened.

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 12:56

Originally posted by genseric

Another guy trying to rewrite history.  The Macedonians were a foreign people who dressed similiar to Celts.  The Greeks considered them brutes and barbarians.  The Macedonians invaded and crushed Greece and then adopted Greek culture.  It was a long time ago but it happened.

Exactly.  But you will never here these Western/Pro-Greek sources telling you this.  According to them, they WERE Greek(which is ridiculous!)

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 13:36

Are you sure that the Macedonians were dressed similar to the Celts?I was under the misconception that they were dressed similar to the Neanderthals,they roamed the countyside and were beating the civilised people to death with  clubs

-------------

Posted By: akritas
Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 16:21

If were not Greeks why then Persians called them Yauna Takabara as called and the rest of the Greeks (Yuana) ?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 16:34

Guys !
A new mosaic just discovered in a macedonian tomb, in
 "AIGAI" (="goats" in ancient Greek),the ancient capital of the Macedonians!  :

hm...i think i know these macedonian guys!

OK,OK i admit it...the Macedonians may have been speaking greek,
ok,they may have been worshipping the Gods of Olympus,
ok they may have been participating in the Olympic games ,were only Greeks were allowed to,
but they werent Greeks of course!-A boy in this forum assured me so!

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 17:28

Exactly.  But you will never here these Western/Pro-Greek sources telling you this.  According to them, they WERE Greek(which is ridiculous!)

I actually didnt read the "Celts" part.  I dont agree with that at all.  Greek and Macedonians were different people but Macedonians were not Celtic.  Here is some more proof.

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/AncientMacedonia/AncientEvidence.html - http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/AncientMacedonia/AncientEv idence.html

Look, I'm not here to try to pick a fight with Greeks.  Greeks have a great, long history.  But claiming another nation's accomplishments as your own is just not necessary. 

Saying Macedonians are Greek because of the religion they practiced is saying that Persians and Turks are Arabs because they're muslims. 

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 17:44

I actually didnt read the "Celts" part.  I dont agree with that at all.  Greek and Macedonians were different people but Macedonians were not Celtic.  Here is some more proof.

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/AncientMacedonia/AncientEvidence.html - http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/AncientMacedonia/AncientEv idence.html

Look, I'm not here to try to pick a fight with Greeks.  Greeks have a great, long history.  But claiming another nation's accomplishments as your own is just not necessary. 

Saying Macedonians are Greek because of the religion they practiced is saying that Persians and Turks are Arabs because they're muslims. 

Your mentioned source is one from the known FYROMIian propagandistic sourse of the web. There are alot of neutral that you can read it and you decide what is wrong and what is right.

One my argyments is why Persians called  Yuana Takabara the Macedonians as called and the rest of the Greeks (Yuana) ? Why ancient Indies called also Macedonians and the rest of the Greeks as Yavana ?

All the "barbarians" knew what and where Macedonians they come from.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 17:55
Yes ,in this pure propagandist site ,
u can also read about the  "Macedonian" (Bulgarian) Czar Samuel,and many more funny things that only historians from Skopje claim.

Anyway,u can try find some more evidence,or even search within this forum for arguments-
the topic is banned,and dont go on with this ,in order the thread to be closed .ok ?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:01

well
1)Plutarch -i wrote it.

Well,it would be useful,before judging all Alexander had done in his life,to READ omething by the sources,such as Plutarch ,Arrian !

I m sure there are many good libraries in Iran.

Then we can discuss about Alexander in a more serious way.

first of all, i live in the USA. second of all, if you arent going to post sources for your information than i have no reason to believe them.

and i know a lot about alexander, i also know that all he did in his life was fight, he died too young to do anything else.

so basically, all he was was a conquerer. thats it.

and he was not a blue eyed blonde haired white guy. he looked like average greeks do today (mostly dark haired and dark eyes)

[/quote]

There was civilization in the East of course-

But u re trying to present Alexander as Attila (!) ,or other nomad warlords that the only thing the y ve done was destroying civilization.

Alexander had commited slaughters-i dont believe in a "ideal Alexander" !- sometimes acting with a programm-in order the other cities to surrunder willingly,sometimes acting like a teenager.

But obviously,Alexanderwas the man who  visioned and in a way founded the Hellenistic civilization -causing a bloom of science and philosophy in the east,strenghten and spread the classical Greece achievements.[/quote]

no, alexander did not establish hellenistic civilisation in the east, his generals did. ALEXANDER DIED BEFORE HE COULD DO ANYTHING.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:30
Alexander made the campaign against the Persian Empire in order to:
a)Liberate the Greeks of Asia who were under the Persian rule
b)Take revenge from the Achaemenid Empire for the destruction of Greece 150 years earlier.
c)Unite the world under his rule in a single empire

I don't think that Alexander made this campaign for the sake of democracy.He was a king after all.I don't remember in the movie  also any such implication,that Alexander wanted to bring democracy etc.
As far as the color of his hair is concerned the movie is accurate if we believe in what Plutarch says.There is however the mosaic in Pompei so we can't be pretty sure about his physical appearance.The fact however that Alexander tried to resemble the homeric hero Achilles,who had blond hair,can implicate that he had blond hair as in the film.

There were historical inaccuracies in the film,for example the bloody battle in the jungle of India(?) but a film cannot be 100% accurate.
Another inaccuracy was the fact that in the battle of Gaugamela there were no elephants,the 6.000 thousand greek mercenaries in the Persian army were not shown,the Thessalian cavalry in the Macedonian army wearing the characteristic petasos(a hat that they wore) were also not shown and the charge of Alexander and the companions against the Persian center could be shown better.A lot more cavalry,there were more than 3.000 companions that attacked the Persian center.
The bisexuality also of Alexander may not be true while in the movie it is depicted as a fact.
A prominent historian Robin Lane Fox assisted the director so the film is as accurate as it could be.
As far as the accents are concerned i think that it was done this on purpose in order to show that the Macedonians were Greeks but they spoke in a bit different way than the Athenians.That's why Aristotle(Cristopher Plummer) speaks with an English accent while the Macedonians speak as Irish.
There were some inaccuracies at the end of the film,where Alexander mentions the Romans(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) as good warriors,something weird since at that time the Romans had not yet become what they would be in the years to come.Rome did not rule at that time the whole Italian peninsula.It woul be far more accurate if Alexander in the film mentioned Syracuse as great city with tough warriors but not Rome...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:33

and he was not a blue eyed blonde haired white guy. he looked like average greeks do today (mostly dark haired and dark eyes)

http://www.e-classics.com/ALEXANDER.htm

Its Plutarch's Alexander from "Bioi Parallelloi"

Is that ok ?
Read it all,it would be more useful than the part for the hair!!!

How about YOUR sources?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:37
Originally posted by RomiosArktos

That's why Aristotle(Cristopher Plummer) speaks with an English accent while the Macedonians speak as Irish

Really ??
i didnt mantioned this,
u ve watched it so many times N.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:40
In the film  Alexander was depicted as a homeric hero,maybe that was the influence of Robin L. Fox on Oliver Stone.
Alexander indeed tried to resemble as much as he could Achilles.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:49

You are making a mistake.The Macedonians were the northern Greeks
Alexander in his campaign in Asia utilised a fleet of 160 ships,the crew of these ships were Greeks from southern Greece and mostly from Athens.There were also many Greeks from Thessaly,Crete,and from southern Greece in his army.
The fact that over 50.000 Greek mercenaries fought on the Persian side and perished can be explained:
a)By the fact that the Persian king of Kings had the money to pay all thse professional warrior who after the rise of Macedon and the defeat of the anti-macedonian league had lost their jobs.Poverty and overpopulation was the number one problem in Greece at those days.
b)They despised the Macedonian rule,for political reasons
It was not strange for many Greeks who had lost their power in Greece to turn to the Persian King of Kings for support.he had the money afterall

-------------

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:53

http://www.makedonija.info/propaganda.html - http://www.makedonija.info/propaganda.html

Eumenes of Cardia: A Greek Among Macedonians http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0391042092/103-0251031-3045448?n=283155 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0391042092/103-0251031-3045 448?n=283155

You say my sources are biased.  And you think yours is not?

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 18:58
Romios- There is too much evidence that shows Greeks and Macedonians as different people.  Alexander first invaded Greece then Persia.  He didnt invade Persia to avenge Greece.  He invaded Persia to gain land and wealth.  That is why any nation tries to expand their empire.  The reason they burned down Persepolis is because Alexander got drunk and a Greek woman who was a slave of the Persian King suggested it as revenge for Persians burning down Athens.

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:05

yazzmode621, except trolling the topic have you got anything useful to add?

The topic if you havent noticed is about the inaccuracies of the movie about Alexander and not another place to bring up more flame wars.

The ethnicity of ancient Macedonians and anything related to the modern dispute about FYR Macedonia is an entirely different issue and part of the blacklisted topics on AE.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10675&PN=1&FID=38&PR=3 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10675&am p;PN=1&FID=38&PR=3

Now everybody get back to the topic.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:11
Alexander's propaganda was that he was invading Persia to revenge Persian invasion in Greece,
and his excuse for burning the palace of Persepolis was the burn of Athens.
I doubt his real purposes.
But just the fact that he was-according to his propaganda of course-acting in the name of ALL HELLENS doesnt mean something ?????
wake up.

-ok i ve just saw the prev post.
back to the topic at last!

-------------

Posted By: Kamran the Great
Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:16

ummm ... children ...

what's with all the name-calling? come on ... i was reading this thread with great interest when i suddenly noticed the change in eveyone's attitude. Would we all mind putting name calling to one side, not lose our temper, and just carry on with a civilized discussion (hey, we're all forebears of civilization here, aren't we now?). Seriously, everyone's idea is interesting and respectable, as long as it is not offensive or insulting to others.

So, let's just carry on, shall we?

btw ... just for the record : i didn't like the movie one bit !!

(i know i know, i'm new here ... so what??) )

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:18
Perseas- I am not here trying to troll.  If you would care to notice, Digenis first started making ridiculous claims of how Alexander brought civilisation with him to the West.  Interesting you dont accuse him of getting off topic and trying to start a flame war. 

Date Posted: 05-May-2006 at 19:34

Are we now into the childish "he-started-first" game? Instead of doing that make your self-criticism on your contribution on the topic's issue or the absense of it, and you will get what i meant precisely.

-------------
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 05:25

http://www.makedonija.info/propaganda.html - http://www.makedonija.info/propaganda.html

Eumenes of Cardia: A Greek Among Macedonians http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0391042092/103-0251031-3045448?n=283155 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0391042092/103-0251031-3045 448?n=283155

You say my sources are biased.  And you think yours is not?

Why avoid answers and continue play a trolling game by present us propagandistic sites and specially the latter that not consern the thread .

I repeat for 3nd time

If were not Greeks why then Persians called them Yauna Takabara as called and the rest of the Greeks (Yauna) ?

-------------

Posted By: Sharrukin
Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 07:24

I would have to reiterate that the focus of the thread had to do with the movie.  This is not the place to discuss the origin of the Macedonians and Alexander himself.  There are already good threads for that.  Please divert your discussions to those threads, otherwise I will have this thread locked. 

I repeat for 3nd time

If were not Greeks why then Persians called them Yauna Takabara as called and the rest of the Greeks (Yauna) ?

The answer to your question has been addressed sometime before you came to these forums.  Please refer to the "Alexander did not care about Helenism nor Helenization" thread on page 10 of the Ancient Mediterranean and Europe thread.  I cannot tell you where exactly to look but it is there.

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 08:34
Originally posted by Sharrukin

I would have to reiterate that the focus of the thread had to do with the movie.  This is not the place to discuss the origin of the Macedonians and Alexander himself.  There are already good threads for that.  Please divert your discussions to those threads, otherwise I will have this thread locked. 

I repeat for 3nd time

The answer to your question has been addressed sometime before you came to these forums.  Please refer to the "Alexander did not care about Helenism nor Helenization" thread on page 10 of the Ancient Mediterranean and Europe thread.  I cannot tell you where exactly to look but it is there.

Why are you so sensitive with me Sharrukin and not with the others members that gave sourse propagndistic  web sites and un-historical quotes regarding the ancient Greek history ? And when say  we the Greeks  "ancient Greek History"  we mean and the Macedonian history.

the title of this thread has name ALEXANDER, where should I start with the historical inaccuraccies  and one from those are the quotes of the yazzmode621 .

The thread that you gave to read  has only 7 pages. Is tired by you to give the answer in my question to the yazzmode621  dear sharrukin  ?

-------------

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 09:36
first of all, what does the takabara mean after the word yauna.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 09:45

first of all, what does the takabara mean after the word yauna.

'Yauna Takabara' or Ionians [Viz. Greeks] with a shield-like hat'

-------------

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 09:46

lol so they called macedonians ionians?

the yauna part is right, but why would they call them ionian greeks? macedon was not in ionia.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 10:27

lol so they called macedonians ionians?

the yauna part is right, but why would they call them ionian greeks? macedon was not in ionia.

You are the Iranian  and suppose you know something better why the ancient Persians called the Macedonians as Yauna!!! Ans as I said Yavana called the Greeks  from the ancient Indies. Persians called Saka Haumavarga  the Hauma-drinking Skythians and Saka Tigraxauda  theSaka who wear the pointed hat. The Apadana Foundation inscription (DPe) mentions Ionians(Yauna) of the mainland, Ionians-by-the-sea, and unspecified countries by and beyond the sea, while some inscriptions of Dareios at Susa (DSm, DSe) refer on the one hand to men of Skudra and petasos-wearing Yuana , on the other Skudra and Yauna across the sea.

On the tomb of Dareios at Naksh-i-Rustem 'Skythians beyond the sea' and 'petasos-wearing Yuana' replaced the unspecified 'countries beyond the sea' of DPe. Skythians (Saka) appear in two separate groups.

So all these people (Persians and Indies) called Yuana or Yavana  the ancient Macedonians but today many people forget to mention that. Or and this linguistic historical  event  was a mistake ?

-------------

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 10:39

i am asking why the persians classified them as ionians. that is what im asking.

this is ionia (what is now the western coast of turkey):

macedonia was located on mainland greece, not in ionia.

so why did the perisans call them ionian greeks? that is what i am asking.

-------------

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 10:55
Iranian14life,

Simple explainatian is that the the first greeks the persians came across where from iona, every other greek from then on was then called by that name. You know when a name sticks it can be hard to change.

Talk about sticking, persians still call greeks yuanan(sp?) today and with your logic that name should upset our turkish neghbours*

*who also, thanks to the iranians call us Yunansti (sp?), amongst other things...

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 11:05

i am asking why the persians classified them as ionians. that is what im asking.

Now I know where Lesbians come from.  lol.

Posted By: BlindOne
Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 11:37

Now I know where Lesbians come from.  lol.

And now i Know how simply trolling minds understant languadge.

-------------
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 11:49

The existence of a satrapy in Europe, called 'Skudra', is known from Persian inscriptions (B44, 58f), 'Lands beyond the sea', that is beyond the waters of Asia Minor from the Persian point of view, were recorded in an inscription on the terrace-wall of Persepolis c. 513 B.C and a satrapy 'Skudra' was mentioned in a egyptian record of c.498-7 B.C and then on a list on Darius' tomb at Naqsh-i Rustam, c.486. The name 'Skudra' was probably Phrygian for the homeland, later called Thrace, which the Phrygians had left in migrating to Asia. The peoples of the satrapy were named c.492 B.C as three: 'Saka Paradraya', meaning 'Sacae (a general name for Scythian-type people) beyong the sea', probably the Getae, who resembled the Scythians in customsand equipment; the 'skudra' themselves, mainly Thracians; and 'Yauna Takabara' or Ionians [Viz. Greeks] with a shield-like hat' The last were mentioned also on glazed bricks at the palace at Susa. Some scholars have supposed that the Sacae 'beyond the sea' were Scythian peoples of the Crimea whom Darius had subjugated, but it seems improbable that Persia did hild that area, and that if she id it was assigned to 'Skudra' rather than to the territories in Georgia, centred on Tbilisi. Envoys from 'Skudra' bringing tribute carried two javelins, a long knife and a small round shield, which were characteristic of Thracian troops later (See Pls. Vol., p1,.40 XIX.
The Greek-speaking people with the shield-like hat were the Macedones, renowned for wearing the sun-hat, as Alexander I did on his fine coins from 478 B.C (look above). The Greek-speaking citizens of the colonial city states on the seaboard were not mentioned; nor did they wear a sun-hat.

Source: Cambridge Ancient History Vol 4

any other question as about the Yauna ?

-------------

Date Posted: 06-May-2006 at 11:51
Originally posted by BlindOne

And now i Know how simply trolling minds understant languadge.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com