Print Page | Close Window

Aztec,Maya and Incan Warfare

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: History of the Americas
Forum Discription: The Americas: History from pre-Colombian times to the present
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1310
Printed Date: 28-May-2024 at 19:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Aztec,Maya and Incan Warfare
Posted By: cattus
Subject: Aztec,Maya and Incan Warfare
Date Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 17:39
great stuff Jalisco.

" To show how confident they were about the outcome of any future war,   the Aztecs gave the enemy chief magic potion to make him strong in battle and presents of weapons for this soldiers! "

wow, that is some serious psycological warfare.

Replies:
Posted By: vagabond
Date Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 03:12
Great articles - again - thanks 

-------------
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)

Posted By: Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
Date Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 12:41

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Specially the Maquahuitl that could behead a person with a single stroke.

The Spanish respected the power of the maquahuitl, and Diaz describes how a certain soldier in Cortez's army, Pedro de Moron, had his horse decapitated by a blow from this weapon!  Diaz refers to the maquahuitl as a "two-handed cutting sword" and as a "dreadful broadsword".

However, the Spanish also had a distinct advantage with their steel swords (espadas), since they were more manuverable and versatile, and could kill with both cuts AND thrusts.  Diaz mentions "miracles of sword-play" more than once. 

-------------
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 12:53
a horse head in one blow? your very knowledgeable about such weaponry,do you believe this?

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 14:20

Originally posted by Catt

a horse head in one blow? your very knowledgeable about such weaponry,do you believe this?

"They have swords of this kind,--of wood made like a two-handed sword, but with the hilt not so long; about three fingers in breadth. The edges are grooved, and in the grooves they insert stone knives, that cut like a Toledo knife. I saw one day an Indian fighting with a mounted man, and the Indian gave the horse of his antagonist such a blow in the breast that he opened it to the entrails, and it fell dead on the spot. And the same day I saw another Indian give another horse a blow in the neck, that stretched it dead at his feet."

The Unknown Conquistador.

I think with swordplay we have to defer to the views of people in the past. We nolonger use swords anymore and anything we may think is conjecture. The people in the past who are reporting it, are witnessing it, have a knowledge of their subject greater than anybody nowadays, even anything science could ever achieve.

I read an example once about wwii, when a Japanese sword instructor to the army used his sword for the first time in combat after teaching it to soldiers for 20 years. He reports he faithfully reproduced several of thecutting techniques he'd learnt from his teacher and he had been teaching to his students and found they didn't work very well. He cut his opponent several times, all with cuts that were supposed to cut his opponent practically in two, but they did little more than cause flesh wounds.

Since the heyday of the Samurai increasingly Samurai had less and less experience in sword fighting till about 1800 onwards when they had virtually none. This hadn't stopped the head of Samurai schools from constantly tinkering with and adjusting cutting techniques, till by wwii Japanese sword styles had become seriously polluted by modern intrusion, based more on hypothesis than experience.

Personally I can't wok out how a macuhuitl could cut off a head. It's certainly sharp enough. Even one of my flint macuahuitls is sharper than my katana. Flint blades are officially sharper even than scalpels I believe. But when a blade has to pass through many centimetres of an object it starts to meet resistance. For example,

A completely flat blade would meet the least resistance, the whole blade passing through the incision made by the point. However with a wedged shaped blade the wider rear of the blade would have to force the incision wider and wider as it entered, thus decreasing the momentum of the blow the further it enters the target. An oval blade bulging in the centre such as a katana only widens the cut up till about 1/2 of it's width, then the back of the blade narrrows again reducing resistance.

With a macuahuitl I being intrisically wedge shaped, having more and wider bulk to penetrate through the body of the cut, following the flint, I fail t see how it could gain the pentration to successfully decapitated something. After the flint had penetrated the wooden part would need to widen the wound and the resistance enourmous.

However I have never attempted to decapitate something with a macuahuitl, and all his is scientific conjecture. Diaz and the Unknown Conquistador were there and witnessed it. As with my little Japanese anicdote, all the best conjecture in the world doesn't replace real knowledge. So my opinion is we have to go along with the view they can decapitate til proven otherwise.

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 00:49

Originally posted by Catt

FWIW, I don't think that Diaz specified that the incident involving Moron's horse was the result of a single blow, but it still sounds impressive.

There's always the possibility for exaggeration, but I would have to concur with Paul (excellent post, btw) in that we must seriously consider what the primary sources like Diaz and the Unknown Conquistador say.  They were the frontline troops in the conflict with the Aztecs, so they should know.

Obsidian is actually sharper than steel, for at least the first couple of cuts, but it loses its edge quickly.  However, we know what steel swords can do--whether you are talking about a Japanese katana, a German zweihander, or a British 1796 light cavalry saber, you are talking about a weapon which can sever heads and limbs.  I think it is significant that the various Conquistador sources constantly describe the maquahuitl as a "two-handed sword"--it suggests that this weapon was indeed capable of inflicting truly fearful injuries. 

-------------

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 01:07

It was indeed a very good weapon.
Used like a type of sword or a sort of axe.
Just wondering what if the Aztecs could master the metallurgy, how bad could be an iron made maquahuitl ?

Regards

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 01:20

It was indeed a very good weapon.
Used like a type of sword or a sort of axe.
Just wondering what if the Aztecs could master the metallurgy, how bad could be an iron made maquahuitl ?

Regards

It depends on the design--I assume you mean a wooden maquahuitl with iron or steel edges?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 01:33

That is correct.
A hand grip made of wood with iron edges.
Regards

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 01:41

That is correct.
A hand grip made of wood with iron edges.
Regards

I suppose that it would have had a comparable performance to the ordinary maquahuitl, with the exception that it could simply be sharpened when necessary, as opposed to requiring the obsidian inserts to be changed.

In any case, it still would have had the same limitations as an ordinary maquahuitl--i.e., it couldn't be used for thrusting.  This lack of versatility was a very real problem for the Aztecs, when facing their rodelero opponents.  One late 16th century Spanish writer even commented that the Aztecs "had no style of fencing".  This contrasts considerably with the Spanish experience in the Philippines, where the various local tribes were described as being able to "fight like Moors and defend themselves like Turks".

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 08:29
Iron edges?
Are you sure it wasn't obsidian?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 08:34

Hi Mixcoatl:
It was a what if question.
Wondering how lethal could be a weapon made with steel.
Regards

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 09:26

The Aztecs had copper and bronze to a certain extent. They made copper axes in abundence so could presumably have put copper blades in instead of obsidian. Why they chose not to do this is unknown but we would have to presume it was for a good reason.

Resource wise macuahuitls were easy to produce, unlike the sword in the rest of the world till mass prodution came along, it was not an elite object. Both obsidian and wood were cheap and plentiful, so everyone could have one. Though it's possible the Aztecs recieved more macuhuitl as tribute than they made themselves.

Presumably making one of copper would be much more expensive, so perhaps they didn't do it because of resources and cost. though this would not explain why the nobles didn't have them.

Effectiveness could be a reason, perhaps obsidian was better than metal. Primarily the macuhuitl was developed specifically to cut through cloth armour. Cloth armour had been developed to stop impact based weapons such as clubs and slings and become widespread throughout the country. The weapon makers responded by producing swords, Mixtec sabres, Toltec shortswords and mauahuitls to defeat this.

I've not seen a set of Aztec armour, but I have tested hitting targets with both katanas and macuhuitl which I've placed a cotton t-shirts on. I find a katana generally out cuts a macuahuitl when hitting a beachmat, but when you put a t-shirt on it the katana cutting reduces greately, and with denin it has real trouble penetrating. Aztec cotton armour was 2" thick, I really don't know how a katana would handle it. The macuahuitl having a serarated blade eats t-shirts for breakfast and I detect no reduction in cutting effect.

Hears a summery of my comparison tests and my estimated effects of the blow I delivered on a person. The beach mat representing the person. I used the Omori ryu cutting technique for the katana, which has real trouble with denin not the powerful Batto Ho battlefield style method. I used the draw cutting technique for the macuahuitl maximising the effects of the serrated edge and delivering it with identical Omori ryu power and 2 finger left hand techique.

Katana                           Macuahuitl

Beach mat                     Cut mat in half - kill         &n bsp;       3 to 4" deep serrated  

gash in beach mat - severe

wound.

Beach mat + t-shirt    Deep penetration, sizable          ; as above

gash in t-shirtc                    t-shirt no effect

- mortal wound

Beach mat + denim      smaller gash in denim       medium size gash in denim

2" of damage                         2" cut in beach mat.

damage to beach mat         &nb sp;   Nasty wound.

under denim - wound

These experiments are in there infantcy. Overall I find a macuhuitl to be inferior to a katana. But the depreciation of effectiveness curve when faced with cloth armour in a katana is much greater. I really do wonder which will cut a 2" of Aztec cloth armour better.

Paul

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2004 at 09:39

Hi Mixcoatl:
It was a what if question.
Wondering how lethal could be a weapon made with steel.
Regards

ah, I see
I missed that

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 17:49

Hi Lil:

here's the article I was talking about.
I'm planning to add additional material in the next couple of weeks.
I bought some really good warfare books during my last visit to the National History Museum and the Templo Mayor Museum in Mexico City.

Regards

Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 17:48

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and I simply love it.  I'll be making my own maquahuitl's this summer for an arts and crafts festival in the fall, people are nuts for native american & mexica culture objects.  I'll test one on a hog carcass from a farmer I know when he slaughters in the fall, I'll document the results.  As for a metal maquahuitl a company called Bud-K on the net sell them under the name of Mayan War Club, I collect swords and weapons,I get some through them.  They are major suppliers and they'll do anyone right.  I haven't purchased any of the 'Mayan War Club' ( yes I know, it's not right) but they look pretty stout.  I've obtained an 8 lb block of obsidian and thanks to this forum some samples and info on their construction! I'll try to get as close to authentic as possible.

Posted By: Decebal
Date Posted: 12-Jun-2005 at 21:33
To my knowledge, the shape of the macuahuitls was largely determined by function. Most Aztec wars were "flower wars", whose main purpose was the capture of prisoners to be used in ritual sacrifices. Thus, the weapons were designed for severing off a leg or an arm and thus incapacitate the opponent wihout killing him. These weapons were not designed for thrusting since that would imply hitting the trunk of the body and could potentially kill the oponnent, instead of merely incapacitating him.

-------------
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Date Posted: 11-May-2006 at 13:50

Everyone is saying that the big drawback to the maquahuitl is the difficulty in sharpening. I don't know if its more reliable, but the article on Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl ) says that they are self sharpening. Anybody care to elaborate?

Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 21:56

Originally posted by Paul

The Aztecs had copper and bronze to a certain extent. They made copper axes in abundence so could presumably have put copper blades in instead of obsidian. Why they chose not to do this is unknown but we would have to presume it was for a good reason.

Obsidian is the sharpest cutting edge known to man - much sharper than a razor or scalpel. Unless metal armour was developed, I don't see any reason why they would adopt copper for arms - a soft metal capable of making only fairly dull blades. The better question is what caused copper to be adopted for arms in the Old World. It's not like they knew copper would lead to bronze and eventually iron. And they did have obsidian for blades (arrowheads and knives; no maquahuitls!) prior to the copper age.

Date Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 09:44
In the old world they had obsidian and flint blades, both sharper than steel, but chose to move to copper. Presuamble the Aztec would too.

Obsidian was cheap, fast to work, in abundance and there were a lot of skilled workers. Copper less so, but it seems to have been changing.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jun-2006 at 22:21
I totally agree with u. The maquehuallis were used to provoke wounds, not killings. As u correctly stated, the mission was to capture in order to have sacrifices.

-------------

Posted By: TheARRGH
Date Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 20:37
true, but when embroiled in the war with the spanish and their Tlaxcalan allies, they certainly seemed to kill whenever they had the chance, and to do it pretty well.

As paul said, there's a lot we don't know about how effective their armor and weapons really were, when used by those who had trained to fight with them. Also as he said, it's unsurse as to how well a katana or other steel sword might penetrate 2" of quilted cotton armor. However, their armor wasn't just cotton-from what i hear, they treated it with something (the official explanation is seawater, but it's been found that that wouldn't work very well and might have just been a lie told to the spanish) that made it even more resilient. 

The macahuitl was a deadly weapon, although hampered by it's inability to be used in a thrust. It wouldn't have penetrated metal armor (probably), but, to be fair, a solid breastplate wouldn't be bothered much by a metal sword, either. Medieval knights used axes, hammers, and maces a lot because their swords just wouldn't penetrate, unless the blade was inserted into a joint.  Probably, someone with a macahuitl would go for joints, extremities, fingers, toes, and other such hard-to-defend and generally unarmored (or less armored) places.

-------------
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Posted By: Byzantine Emperor
Date Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 22:10
Originally posted by oktli

The maquehuallis were used to provoke wounds, not killings. As u correctly stated, the mission was to capture in order to have sacrifices.
Originally posted by TheARRGH

Probably, someone with a macahuitl would go for joints, extremities, fingers, toes, and other such hard-to-defend and generally unarmored (or less armored) places.

They probably went for the joints and the head in order to debilitate the opponent.  Then the victor could take whatever trophies he wanted and take the defeated captive to be sacrificed.

A good book that goes into the anthropology and symbolism of human sacrifice in Central American indian cultures is:

Carrasco, Davíd. City of Sacrifice: The Aztec Empire and the Role of Violence in Civilization. Boston: Beacon, 1999.

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=12713 - Late Byzantine Military
http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17337 - Ottoman perceptions of the Americas

Posted By: TheARRGH
Date Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 00:14
thanks for the recommendation! And the interesting thing (one of; there are so many) is that the tendency to debilitate the opponent could easily be adapted for the purpose of killing. Striking joints and other areas which are hard to defend is one of the most effective techniques for winning a fight-by the conservative use of your energies to wear down and debilitate your opponent.

It's interesting to think about because far too many people think that the aztecs, for instance, lost to the spanish partly because of their unwillingness to kill. Records show that, when needed, they were quite willing to kill their enemies on the battlefield-apparently, i imagine, because the techniques used to debilitate their opponents translated fairly easily into ways to kill them.

-------------
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com