Print Page | Close Window

Genocide of the Pontian Greeks

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Modern History
Forum Discription: World History from 1918 to the 21st century.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11783
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 07:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Genocide of the Pontian Greeks
Posted By: akritas
Subject: Genocide of the Pontian Greeks
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 06:58
Pontus means "sea" in Greek and is located in the south-eastern littoral of the Black Sea. Its connection with Hellenism stretches back to pre-historic times to the legends of Jason and the Argonauts quest for the Golden Fleece and to Heracles obtaining the Amazon Queen's girdle. The coastal region was colonised by the Ionians, especially the city of Miletus which founded Sinope (785 BC), Trapezunta (756 BC) and the numerous other cities along the coast from Heracleia to Discurias in the Caucasus.

The Hinterland was gradually Hellenised and this was completed after Alexander's conquests. Its contribution to Hellenism in those 2800 years has been enormous: Diogenes hailed from Sinope and Strabo from Amaseia, it was here that Xenophon found a safe haven, that the great Comneni dynasty reigned, the home of Cardinal Bessarion and the Hypsilandis family; it was also the last Greek territory to fall to the Turks (in 1461). Many famous churches, monasteries and schools are a testament to the resilience of Hellenism. The Pontians are a distinct Greek people with their own dialect, dances, songs and theatre.

For the Pontian Greeks all ended in tragedy in the years 1914-22. Of the 700,000 Greeks living in Pontus in 1914, 353,000 were killed as a result of Turkish government policy and the remainder became refugees. Three millenia of the Greek presence was wiped out by a deliberate policy of creating a Turkey for the Turks. The Pontian people were denied the right to exist, the right of respect for their national and cultural identity, and the right to remain on land they had lived on for countless generations.

The turning point in the treatment of Greeks in Turkey was the alliance between Germany and the Sultan that commenced after the Treaty of Berlin 1878. Germany regarded Anglo French protection of Christians as an obstacle to its interests and convinced the Turkish authorities that the Greeks were working for the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. Germany opened the Berlin Academy to Turkish military officers and General Gotz was appointed to restructure the Ottoman armed forces.

The successful national movements in the Balkans posed a threat that the same would occur in Asia Minor. After the Balkan Wars the Young Turks decided that Asia Minor would be a homeland for Turks alone and that the Greeks and Armenians had to be eliminated.

The outbreak of World War I made this possible and Germany willingly sacrificed the Christian minorities to achieve its aim in the Middle East. However, it is the German and Austrian diplomats reports that confirm that what took place was a systematic and deliberate extermination of the Christian population. Genocide. Not security or defence measures, not relocations of population (why forcibly relocate populations?) not war, not retaliation in response to the activities of Pontian guerillas or Russian invasion but GENOCIDE.

Terrorism, labour battalions, exiles, forced marches, rapes, hangings, fires, murders, planned, directed and executed by the Turkish authorities. This can be corroborated by the German and Austrian archives now made public:

24 July 1909 German Ambassador in Athens Wangenheim to Chancellor Bulow quoting Turkish Prime Minister Sefker Pasha: "The Turks have decided upon a war of extermination against their Christian subjects."
26 July 1909 Sefker Pasha visited Patriarch Ioakeim III and tells him: "we will cut off your heads, we will make you disappear. It is either you or us who will survive."

14 May 1914 Official document from Talaat Bey Minister of the Interior to Prefect of Smyrna: The Greeks, who are Ottoman subjects, and form the majority of inhabitants in your district, take advantage of the circumstances in order to provoke a revolutionary current, favourable to the intervention of the Great Powers. Consequently, it is urgently necessary that the Greeks occupying the coast-line of Asia Minor be compelled to evacuate their villages and install themselves in the vilayets of Erzerum and Chaldea. If they should refuse to be transported to the appointed places, kindly give instructions to our Moslem brothers, so that they shall induce the Greeks, through excesses of all sorts, to leave their native places of their own accord. Do not forget to obtain, in such cases, from the emigrants certificates stating that they leave their homes on their own initiative, so that we shall not have political complications ensuing from their displacement.

31 July 1915 German priest J. Lepsius: "The anti-Greek and anti-Armenian persecutions are two phases of one programme - the extermination of the Christian element from Turkey.

16 July 1916 German Consul Kuchhoff from Amisos to Berlin: "The entire Greek population of Sinope and the coastal region of the county of Kastanome has been exiled. Exile and extermination in Turkish are the same, for whoever is not murdered, will die from hunger or illness."

30 November 1916 Austrian consul at Amisos Kwiatkowski to Austria Foreign Minister Baron Burian: "on 26 November Rafet Bey told me: "we must finish off the Greeks as we did with the Armenians . . . on 28 November. Rafet Bey told me: "today I sent squads to the interior to kill every Greek on sight." I fear for the elimination of the entire Greek population and a repeat of what occurred last year" (meaning the Armenian genocide).

13 December 1916 German Ambassador Kuhlman to Chancellor Hollweg in Berlin: "Consuls Bergfeld in Samsun and Schede in Kerasun report of displacement of local population and murders. Prisoners are not kept. Villages reduced to ashes. Greek refugee families consisting mostly of women and children being marched from the coasts to Sebasteia. The need is great."

19 December 1916 Austrian Ambassador to Turkey Pallavicini to Vienna lists the villages in the region of Amisos that were being burnt to the ground and their inhabitants raped, murdered or dispersed.

20 January 1917 Austrian Ambassador Pallavicini: "the situation for the displaced is desperate. Death awaits them all. I spoke to the Grand Vizier and told him that it would be sad if the persecution of the Greek element took the same scope and dimension as the Armenia persecution. The Grand Vizier promised that he would influence Talaat Bey and Emver Pasha."

31 January 1917 Austrian Chancellor Hollweg's report: ". . . the indications are that the Turks plan to eliminate the Greek element as enemies of the state, as they did earlier with the Armenians. The strategy implemented by the Turks is of displacing people to the interior without taking measures for their survival by exposing them to death, hunger and illness. The abandoned homes are then looted and burnt or destroyed. Whatever was done to the Armenians is being repeated with the Greeks.

Thus, by government decree and 300,000 Pontian Greeks were annihilated through exile, starvation, cold, illness, slaughter, murder, gallows, axe, and fire. Those who survived fled never to return. The Pontians now lie scattered all over the world as a result of the genocide and their unique history, language (the dialect is a valuable link between ancient and modern Greek), and culture are endangered and face extinction.

A double crime was committed - genocide and the uprooting of a people from their ancestral homelands of three millenia. The Democratic  nations were not only witnesses to this horrible and monstrous crime, which remains unpunished, but for reasons of political expediency and self interest have, by their silence, pardoned the criminal.

more in

http://www.pontiangenocide.org.au/ - http://www.pontiangenocide.org.au/
http://www.aihgs.com/pontus.htm - http://www.aihgs.com/pontus.htm

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 07:27
I believed it was 200.000  the number of the annihilated Pontian Hellens.But it seems it's bigger.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 07:40

The Pontian Greek Genocide started in 1916 and came to the final stage in 1919. It cost the lives of at least 300,000 Greeks living in the Black Sea province of Pontus. Survivors fled to nearby Russia and eventually to Greece after the 1922 Asia Minor Catastrophe.

One of the methods used in the systematic elimination of the Greek population was the Labour Battalions (Turkish: Amele Taburu; Greek: Tagmata Ergasias). In them, mostly young and stronger people were captured and forced to exhausting slave labour by the Turkish State, in order to reconstruct various of destroyed areas during the Greco-Turkish War. They were held to concentration camps and amongst the survivors was the well known writer Elias Venezis, who later described the situation in his work the Number 31328 (Ôï Íïýìåñï 31328).

Another method used by the Turks was to force the weaker population, including women and children, to walk for hundreds of kilometres until they died. This was known as the Light Death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontian_Greeks_Genocide - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontian_Greeks_Genocide

-------------
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 07:41

19 May was the date of the Pontian Genocide.

Below some  some proclamation of some US States.

and of course soon follow and foreign parliaments such as French, German e.t.c.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 08:11

Pontian Hellen fighters

Pontian fighters

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 08:15

Another method used by the Turks was to force the weaker population, including women and children, to walk for hundreds of kilometres until they died. This was known as the Light Death.

"Light Death" in action

-------------

Posted By: bg_turk
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 09:13
Originally posted by Spartakus

Isn't this picture used by Armenians?

-------------
http://www.journalof911studies.com - http://www.journalof911studies.com

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:10

Is a known picture from  the National geographic.

Not invovle the Armenians in this thread bg_turk.

-------------

Posted By: pegasusdi
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:13

One of the methods used in the systematic elimination of the Greek population was the Labour Battalions (Turkish: Amele Taburu; Greek: Tagmata Ergasias). In them, mostly young and stronger people were captured and forced to exhausting slave labour by the Turkish State, in order to reconstruct various of destroyed areas during the Greco-Turkish War. They were held to concentration camps and amongst the survivors was the well known writer Elias Venezis, who later described the situation in his work the Number 31328 (Ôï Íïýìåñï 31328).

Correction:  Labour battallions are not concentration camps composed of enslaved Greeks as has been argued above.  These people were conscribted to the army to fulfill the military service (together with whole male population of the state due to war time needs) .  the problematic part of the story is that they were not considered to be trustable so they were not used in actual war.  Rather, they were used to open roads for the army to pass etc.  their situation can be said to be worse off to a certain extent but i don't think it can be compared to a concentration camp.

-------------
imagination sets us free to be what we want to be

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:20
Originally posted by pegasusdi

but i don't think it can be compared to a concentration camp.

In fact it was much worse than in a typical concentration camp for prisoners of war.These people(in the amele tamburu) had to face thurst,hunger,abuse,torture and death in the most cruel ways.

Congratulations akritas for bringing this issue up!

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:24
Good work akritas and Spartakus, i hope this thread's ok when i get back

I want to contribute to.

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:26
Originally posted by akritas

Not invovle the Armenians in this thread bg_turk.

But the image that you give is an image of Armenian deportations and it is presented as such by many Armenian sources. Shall I suppose then that the people on theimage are then both Pontian and Armenian. What does the national geographic article say?

I hope maybe Mamikon or ArmenianSurvival can clear this up, because I really do not have the time to search through Armenian webpages now but I am quite sure i have seen that same image there.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:32

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

Also congratulations  and thanks to the Turkish PM that arise memories via his aggressive policy. US Ambassador Morgenthau's  said that the Greeks were the first victims of this nationalizing idea (policy of making Turkey exclusively the country of the Turks).

Germany has confronted its genocidal past and apologised to its victims for the crimes of World War Two. Turkey continues to refuse to follow the example of its traditional ally, preferring to deny any responsibility for the suffering and deaths of so many innocent people.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:40

Also congratulations  and thanks to the Turkish PM that arise memories via his aggressive policy. US Ambassador Morgenthau's  said that the Greeks were the first victims of this nationalizing idea (policy of making Turkey exclusively the country of the Turks).

Well, as a person who has studied some International Relations, i think it is not fair to say that it is an agressive policy.  History has been a political tool especially in the couple of years regarding Turkey and its relationship to EU.  Thus, the reaction does not seem to be quite irrelevant if we think about the context.  therefore, i don't think that Greek PM was very surprised to this reaction.
  Moreover, let's not go into the debate  of who are the first victims of nationalizing policies because i am sure we would be stuck at that point  if we start to discuss emergence of nationalism in the Balkans and its victims

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:44

but i don't think it can be compared to a concentration camp.

In fact it was much worse than in a typical concentration camp for prisoners of war.These people(in the amele tamburu) had to face thurst,hunger,abuse,torture and death in the most cruel ways.

well, i didn't think that POW camps were meant by concentration camp because it  immediately reminded me of the concentration camps of Jews in WWII since the issue is about genocide.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:55

Originally posted by Leonidas

Good work akritas and Spartakus, i hope this thread's ok when i get back

I want to contribute to.

Leonidas the investigation of genocide of Pontian Greeks   from the Young Turks and Mustafa Kemal (Ataturk) arrangement constituted a question taboo for the Greek historical and political science. The Greek-Turkish pact of friendship 1930, the simultaneous integration of Greece and Turkey in the NATO in 1952, but also simultaneously the called approach of two states, constituted points stations and for the Pontian question. They are these parameters that the Genocide of Hellenism of Pontos did not acquire the compurgation that it was imposed it acquires .

But when the Turkish PM ask from the Greeks to stop mention this issue because "disturb" he thinks that talk in his political  partie funs!!!

On one side because the political climate did not allow is investigated the crime of mass murders of against Greeks, on the other side when this became after initiative of scientists and intellectual as minimal debt against the collective memory, faced a very hostile environment.

Greek Parliament publishes the book of professor Konstantinos Fotiadis, which argued the murders of 353000 Greeks in the Pontos the interval 1916-1923.The book is separated in 13 chapters which cover the history of Greeks of Pontos, the ethnological situation in the region, the Ottoman reforms and the Young Turks arrangement, that was turned against the Greeks program of Mustafa Kemal arrangement for the crimes in the Pontos. The book includes primary sources, the result of research of writer in government and owned files of former USSR, France, Germany, Great Britain, Austria, Italy, Vatican, Society of Nations and Greece, while is mentioned also rich bibliography in Greek and other languages.

-------------

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:55

Moreover, let's not go into the debate  of who are the first victims of nationalizing policies because i am sure we would be stuck at that point  if we start to discuss emergence of nationalism in the Balkans and its victims

tut tut ,

to bring some context to that nationalism we have to include the uninvited imperialism with all its victims and subjects

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 10:58
'uninvited' imperilaism??  I have never heard of an invited imperialism

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 12:34
Originally posted by bg_turk

Here you can find the same image

http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.php?title=Image:Geno14.JPG - http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.php?title=Image:Geno14.JPG  

So whoever put this image here, answer please who are the people on the image? Who is the one lying here Turks, Greeks or Armenians - or maybe all of them?!

-------------

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 12:57
353.000 Greeks... murdered by Turks?

No necessary to discuss on a nonsense.

Does anyone know Mr.Nakratzas here?

-------------

Posted By: TheDiplomat
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 13:08

Here you can find the same image

http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.php?title=Image:Geno14.JPG - http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.php?title=Image:Geno14.JPG  

So whoever put this image here, answer please who are the people on the image? Who is the one lying here Turks, Greeks or Armenians - or maybe all of them?!

LOL...so both armenians and greeks use the same picture to put  Turks in the defendant'schair before the international community?

Do these crappy propagandalists really believe that the international community is so ignorant to belive them immediately?..Maybe they wanna benefit from previous opinious held about the Turks.Let us remember the very fact that sterotypes are more likely to be effective when they agree with the prevously held opinions.

The International community should be well aware of the fact that by the treaty of Lusanne in 1923,which was signed after The Turkish Independence of War,The Greek human beings themselves acknowledged the atrocities committed by the Pan-Hellenist army,which invaded Turkey after the First world war(1919-1922).

According to this treaty Hellas was in charge of compensation for the systematic burnings of cities in western Turkey and massacres committed against the Turks.

Due to the fact that the economy of Hellas was so weak that time after the war,Greece tried to alleviate it by giving Karaagac,some territory

Fabricating history is intellectual vandalism

-------------
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 13:19

For the Greek speakers only, here is an "interesting" site regarding the Pontians ... no offense intended!

http://www.geocities.com/pontos10/index.html - http://www.geocities.com/pontos10/index.html

Disclaimer: Greek nationalist beware that the site may contain offensive material to your ego, and if you believe you are too proud to handle it, please kindly refrain from visiting. The author takes no liabiltiy for any damage that can be incurred on your national ego.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 14:03

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

353.000 Greeks... murdered by Turks?

No necessary to discuss on a nonsense.

Does anyone know Mr.Nakratzas here?

Yes I showed him recently as guest in the Turkish TV when spoke for Greek genocide to the Turks in 1919 as reaction of the Turkish media in Pontian genocide . Also you can buy these books from the Slanmacedonian Organization http://www.florina.org/html/main/books.html - Uranio Toxo  in Greece.

-------------

Posted By: The Guardian
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 14:10

Greek Genocide?  Bring it up to the UN, or the EU, we'll see what happens then.(or is this claim supported by enough documents to be brought up?)

Or has this subject already been brought up?

(so many "brought up" 's)

-------------
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
                             &nb

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 14:11

I brought link from wiki.Moreover,you do not understand ,do you?This picture shows the tactic used by the Turks for the ethnic cleansing of the Pontian Hellens.I do not know whether this specific image shows Armenians or Pontians Hellens,maybe they are Hellens,but the ethnic cleansing of more than 300.000 Hellens of Pontus is a fact,(i do not know about the Armenians) and the specific tactic,the Light Death ,was repeadetly used by Turks.

Beware that denying the Pontian Genocide is personal insult against me,a Hellen of Pontian origin,whose relatives are mostly from Pontus.I will not tolerate to use the Armenian behaviour as a mean to justify Turkish attrocities.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 14:12
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

LOL...so both armenians and greeks use the same picture to put  Turks in the defendant'schair before the international community?

Do these crappy propagandalists really believe that the international community is so ignorant to belive them immediately?..Maybe they wanna benefit from previous opinious held about the Turks.Let us remember the very fact that sterotypes are more likely to be effective when they agree with the prevously held opinions.

The International community should be well aware of the fact that by the treaty of Lusanne in 1923,which was signed after The Turkish Independence of War,The Greek human beings themselves acknowledged the atrocities committed by the Pan-Hellenist army,which invaded Turkey after the First world war(1919-1922).

According to this treaty Hellas was in charge of compensation for the systematic burnings of cities in western Turkey and massacres committed against the Turks.

Due to the fact that the economy of Hellas was so weak that time after the war,Greece tried to alleviate it by giving Karaagac,some territory

Fabricating history is intellectual vandalism

Thi photo came from the US National Geographic. So if you have any question from whom, where and what those appeared in the picture they will responce you.

As about the  attrocities Greece (not genocide) as Democratic nation  accepted and recognized as you said in the Lausagne Treaty.If happened any kind of genocide why turkish side never mention this in the Treauty ?

What about your nation.Why deny something that happened and recognized from many non-Greek sourses ?

And I am talking only for the Pontian Genocide and not the armenian according the AE forum rules.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 14:17
I will not also tolerate to use any kind of  Hellenic brutality during the Greco-Turkish war to mislead the conversation.Nothing can justify a genocide.Such behaviour shows only weakness in finding arguments.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 14:26

Not Even My Name is the unforgettable story of Sano Halo's survival of the
death march at age 10 that annihilated her family as told to her daughter, Thea and
the poignant mother/ daughter pilgrimage to Turkey in search of Sano's home 70 years after her exile. Sano, a Pontic Greek from a mountain village near the Black Sea, also recounts her ancient, pastoral way of life in the Pontic Mountians.

The dreadful realization that something was amiss came little by little to Sano's village. Strangers began to inhabit the fields and forests, always watching from a distance like birds of prey. Turkish soldiers made periodic raids to seize men for slave labor in foul, lice-infested labor camps, where most died of disease, malnutrition and exposure. Then in the spring of 1920, Turkish soldiers pounded on doors with the butts of their rifles and shouted General Mustafa Kemal's (Ataturk) proclamation: "You are to leave this place. You are to take with you only what you can carry " On their death march, victims lay where they fell and buzzards hung above their heads. So ended the 3,000 year history of the Pontic Greeks in Turkey.

Stripped of everything she had ever held dear, even her name, at age 15 Sano was sold into marriage to a man who brought her to America. He was three times her age.
Not Even My Name follows Sano's marriage, the raising of her ten children, and her
transformation from an innocent girl who lived an ancient way of life in a remote place, to a nurturing mother and determined woman in twentieth-century New York City.

-------------

Posted By: xristar
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 14:47

For the Greek speakers only, here is an "interesting" site regarding the Pontians ... no offense intended!

http://www.geocities.com/pontos10/index.html - http://www.geocities.com/pontos10/index.html

Disclaimer: Greek nationalist beware that the site may contain offensive material to your ego, and if you believe you are too proud to handle it, please kindly refrain from visiting. The author takes no liabiltiy for any damage that can be incurred on your national ego.

You got to be kidding!
Did you check the bottom banner-link?
It says 'find out the truth about Greek history'.
I was curious what it would be.
Then I saw the link was 'http://www.geocities.com./bulgarmak/history_greek.htm', and realized there's no reason to go further.
I won't comment arguable facts of recent history, where everyone can have his oppinion based on the numerous different sources. I'll stick to unarguable facts.
It says things as 'Cyprus was never Greek'. Well, ok...
'Decendants of Kafres from Ethiopia the Greeks. Results of scientific research in Skopje based on DNA'. Not only its unhistorical, its also racist.
'Belasica 1014. The worst crime of world history'. Yeah, right. The fact that Basil let the Bulgarian prisoners live makes him actually much more humane than most of the medieval rulers, who would massacre any city they captured.
'The origin of the word Graikos (Greek). Ancient Slavic word meaning 'sinner' Oh, of course when the Romans were calling us Greeks the 'ancient slavs' were killing mammoths in Siberia, and building igloos with their bones.
Of course then I went to the main page, to see the title 'Bulgarian human rights in Macedonia' and the joke was over. Its no fun to comment how a ultranationalist Bulgarian believes there's no such thing as Greece, and Greek nation. Pontos sector is actually minor to all the crap in this site.

Really bad for your image, bg_turk, that you tried 'to break our ego' with such bullsh*t. What you do is to provoke us, and seriously, that's how the  national egos are built. When you see Bulgarians provoking us in a such grotesk way, all you do is create a -wrong probably- despical of Bulgarians. And really, we Greeks do not have a bad oppinion for Bulgarians, at least as much as it seems Bulgarians have for us.
(This oppinion I expressed is not only based on here. It's based by my general experience in historical forums for about 5 years. Bulgarians seem to hate us, I dare say more than the Turks. The Turks are perhaps too proud of their nation, that are blind some times to see the truth. But they do not hate us. I've seen many Bulgarians infiltrating threads only to accuse the Greeks. That's  just sad).

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:00
Plz,stay on topic.Because if you do not,and this topic gets closed,i will promise you ,you will regret entering this site, both Hellens and Turks. 

-------------

Posted By: TheDiplomat
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:03

what Bg_Turk proved,that is to say,greek and armenian propagandists use the same picture as their own victims to convince the international community is enough for me to understand how ill-fated these propagandas are.

Mr.Spartakus,your playing on emotions will get you nowhere! Poeple here have already been enough to realize that calling everything genocide has been a habit,an obsession.Plus, I personally do not give any care if you tolarete me or not. People ,who are to harm the harmony among people  of different nationalties , certainly do not mean anything to me!

I have precisely much more reasons to call what happened during trec he Greek Invasion of Turkey as genocide towards my own nation , as I have happened to see a historical record which clearly proves Venizelos's confessions on the barbarous warfare conducted by the Pan-Hellenist army during its adventure in Turkey.

Yet I will try to eschew from doing as much as possible for the fact that I do want to see a friendship between Turkish and Greek human beings.

Brainwashed people like you guys can keep up doing your mission, but please in the end ask this question to yourselves: ''what did I really happen to gain in the end?''

-------------
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:03

Originally posted by xristar

Really bad for your image, bg_turk, that you tried 'to break our ego' with such bullsh*t. What you do is to provoke us, and seriously, that's how the  national egos are built. When you see Bulgarians provoking us in a such grotesk way, all you do is create a -wrong probably- despical of Bulgarians. And really, we Greeks do not have a bad oppinion for Bulgarians, at least as much as it seems Bulgarians have for us.
(This oppinion I expressed is not only based on here. It's based by my general experience in historical forums for about 5 years. Bulgarians seem to hate us, I dare say more than the Turks. The Turks are perhaps too proud of their nation, that are blind some times to see the truth. But they do not hate us. I've seen many Bulgarians infiltrating threads only to accuse the Greeks. That's  just sad).

Sorry xristar for offending you, but I really warned you not to enter. But you may have a point when we talk about serious issues of people getting killed such as in this thread, I should not have posted such a sarcastic site.

By the way concerning the Greek image in Bulgaria, from my own experience I do not believe it is that bad as you are trying to make it, but of course there is some suspicition and it is undersandable since Bulgarians have on several occasions been victims of both Greek and Turkish empirial ambitions, so naturally history books do have a very strong anti-greek and anti-turkish bias. The second balkan war and the occupation of macedonia and its purging from slavs is seen my many bulgarians as a grave injustice and a national catastrophe.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:06

(B) Case studies and their comparison

8.       Turkish genocide of Armenians (Aghet), Ponthian Greeks and Assyrians in Turkey, 1914-23

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:08

The previous quote is from the Hirosima Peace Institute see link:

http://serv.peace.hiroshima-cu.ac.jp/English/eproject/project5.htm - http://serv.peace.hiroshima-cu.ac.jp/English/eproject/projec t5.htm

-------------

Posted By: NikeBG
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:11

[QUOTE=bg_turk]

Ahh, let's not start with this! Cuz I could say the oposite - from my own personal observations, it seems that the Greeks hate us without any obvious reason (except maybe still being angry for taking Moesia from Byzantium?). And I've often wondered from where could this hatred come from. Why do the Greeks, only because of being generally richer, seem to do nothing but despise and maltreate us. I've heard numerous first-hand things of Greek factory owners in Bulgaria and the conditions of labour there or for the behaviour of the Greeks towards the Bulgarian "slaves" (as servants) in Greece as to second-hand humans. Not to mention for digging even further back into the past and the phanariote systematic de-Bulgarisation of the lands, still under Ottoman control. For examples of barbaric Greek (what a paradox, huh?) hatred towards Bulgarians, I could also point out one relatively popular picture from the time of the Inter-Allied War, which depicts a Greek soldier, eating a Bulgarian one (or maybe that's just some bad Greek vrykolakas (sp.?)/vampire). Do you want more examples? Or you'll say that these are nothing else but hate-instigating lies? Whatever, but even if we do hate Greeks, Greeks hate us not less! And why? I wonder even to this day - if we had problems in the Byzantine times, Byzantium is long in the past (and modern day Greece seems to emphasize more on ancient Hellas and to some way leave Byzantium on second stage). So my only answer for now is: Balkans...

P.S. With this post I do not inted to insult anyone. I don't hate Greeks, but I do want to show examples that there are Greeks who don't like us either! Peace and be careful what you say!
P.P.S. To note also about that ultranationalist propaganda site - don't get specially offended, because, typically for the Balkans, there are people in Bulgaria, just as anywhere else, who simply can't live if they don't hate and oppose anyone. And I admit that to some degree I also like the oppose people - don't know why! Maybe as a Sofianer (from Sofia), I'm to some degree also a sophist (the philisopher school) and just like to argue...

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:13

STATISTICS OF DEMOCIDE
Chapter 5
Statistics Of
Turkey's Democide
Estimates, Calculations, And Sources*

By R.J. Rummel

The infamy of executing this century's first full scale ethnic cleansing belongs to Turkey's Young Turk government during World War I. In their highest councils Turkish leaders decided to exterminate every Armenian in the country, whether a front-line soldier or pregnant woman, famous professor or high bishop, important businessman or ardent patriot. All 2,000,000 of them.
Democide had preceded the Young Turk's rule and with their collapse at the end of World War I, the successor Nationalist government carried out its own democide against the Greeks and remaining or returning Armenians. From 1900 to 1923, various Turkish regimes killed from 3,500,000 to over 4,300,000 Armenians, Greeks, Nestorians, and other Christians

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP5.HTM - http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/SOD.CHAP5.HTM

18-19 May 2005
On this occasion, the Department of Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Danish Institute for International Studies (DIIS), in cooperation with University of Southern Denmark, will hold an international conference on the Armenian genocide, where researchers from Armenia, Turkey, Canada, USA, Great Britain, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark will discuss a range of historical and topical subjects:
- The Armenian genocide as precursor and prototype of 20th century genocide
- Other victim groups of genocide and persecution in the Ottoman empire from 1914-1922, for instance the Greek and Assyrian minorities

http://diis.dk/sw11640.asp - http://diis.dk/sw11640.asp

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:14

xristar the bg_turk is known provocator. Don't fall in his trap. Always show geocities web sites in order to support his ultra-nationalistic argyments.Actually this www charactirized the Pontians as terrorists. Do you remind you something this claim ?

The Turkish writer, Ömer Asan was born in 1961 in Trebizond, an area with strong Islamic traditions and with many Greek speaking inhabitants. It is where an aging community still speaks the Pontian language that is related to Greek. Ömer Asan, an economist turned writer, is a Greek-speaking Turk who was driven to write Pontos Kultura in 1996. He said, "I began to search for my identity because of the fact that the language my ancestors spoke was not Turkish … At school they taught us that we were Turks … but at home, in the village, everyone in the family spoke to each other in the language we called 'Romaiika'… By asking 'Who am I?' I plunged into the unknown. I had to find the answer… I began, in amateur fashion, to collect Pontian words.  I decided to focus my research on Erekioi, my village of Of, [in Trebizond] and to study its living culture as an extant trace of Pontian culture." 

Originally, Asan's book was published by the Belge Publishing House in Turkey where it met its fate by confiscation and condemnation and its author was condemned to imprisonment of possibly between 14 months to 4 years. Asan was accused of being a 'traitor', a 'friend of Greece' and a supporter of those who wanted Orthodox Christianity restored to the chiefly Islamic Pontian region. The good news is Omer Asan was acquitted in September 2003 as a result of the abolition of Article 8 of the Anti-Terror Law. 

His book found a new life when it was published in Greece under its new title, The Civilization of the Pontos. It became one of the most important books sold in Greece. Its new publishers are Kyriakidis Publishers in Thessaloniki.   

Ömer Asan described the traditions of his people from the north eastern part of Turkey known as Pontos. He vividly described the customs and "forbidden language" spoken only in the home—of traces of an ancient Greek culture that Mustafa Kemal's new "democratic" military government prefers that the world should not know about. By now, Turkey had hoped that when the survivors are no longer with us that future generations would not know Turkey was originally inhabited by Greek, Armenian and Assyrian Christians, who were either massacred or forcibly converted into Muslims. Ömer Asan comes that background.   

there another two writers but I have to follow the AE rules

http://www.ellopos.net/politics/bravewriters.html - http://www.ellopos.net/politics/bravewriters.html

As you see  when a Muslim Pontian talk its  language that called Romeika what are the results!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:15

Plz,stay on topic.Because if you do not,and this topic gets closed,i will promise you ,you will regret entering this site, both Hellens and Turks. 

Spartakus, please relax. Nobody is denying that Pontians have been victims of a grave injustice, and there are many personal stories to be heard. Ayça Abakan from the Turkish BBC section has actually collected many stories from the time including that one of this Pontian Greek now settled in Thesaloniki (in GrekoTurkish)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/turkish/iki_kere_yabanci/iki_kere_yabanci_7.ram - http://www.bbc.co.uk/turkish/iki_kere_yabanci/iki_kere_yaban ci_7.ram

It is indeed a heartbreaking story, but do understand that Muslims have suffered equally horribly at that time, and you do not have to elevate your suffering above that of the others. What happened to the Pontians was not  a Genocide.

-------------

Posted By: Digenis
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:15

Turkish propaganda again

Do u have anything to contribute about the ethnic cleansing of Pontus ?

Or your sensitivity and compassion for minorities, ends up in Turks?

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:19

Always show geocities web sites in order to support his ultra-nationalistic argyments.

At least I do not steal images from the Armenians, like some of you do!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:21
Originally posted by Digenis

Do u have anything to contribute about the ethnic cleansing of Pontus ?

I just did but you called it "Turkish Propaganda". The link contained a testimony by a Pontian Greek and I am sure it would have helped many Turks understand the suffering that Pontian Greeks have had to go through.

-------------

Posted By: xristar
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:21
bg_turk, I don't want to go off-topic, because Mr. Spartakus seems to get angry when I do that, but I'll tell you this: here in Greece you'll find equally many stories about the mistreatment of Greeks by the Bulgarians and even my family was refugee from Bulgarian occupation. But in school books, and in my family, we do not a bad oppinion on Bulgarians, at least compared to our oppinion on Turks and Albanians for example.

Abot the Pontos subject (to remain in topic), all I have to say is that the Pontians may have not been heard much, but indeed they have a very passionate feeling about their exile, and about the genocide.

Btw, I saw a Greek documentary in Pontos and it was shown that a very considerable number of Greek speaking Pontians still live in Turkey, but unfortunately, pressed by the turkish governmental propaganda, now believe that they are one of the turkish tribes (the Laz apparently). To me it seems pretty sad and crazy to think of themselves as Turks, as they indeed speak Greek, and let's face it, the Greek speakers are not that many in the world, to have the luxury to call some of them 'non-greeks'.

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:22

Always show geocities web sites in order to support his ultra-nationalistic argyments.

At least I do not steal images from the Armenians, like some of you do!!!

Who me? You are tottally confused

Carry on with your geocities sourses

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:22

In the wake of this conflict there was a violent reaction against the Greek communities throughout the new Republic of Turkey who were seen as disloyal — as indeed they generally were identifying more with their Greek heritage than the new Turkish republic. Thousands were killed on both sides in ethnic conflict.

http://www.freeglossary.com/Pontian_Greek_Genocide - http://www.freeglossary.com/Pontian_Greek_Genocide

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:25

Btw, I saw a Greek documentary in Pontos and it was shown that a very considerable number of Greek speaking Pontians still live in Turkey, but unfortunately, pressed by the turkish governmental propaganda, now believe that they are one of the turkish tribes (the Laz apparently). To me it seems pretty sad and crazy to think of themselves as Turks, as they indeed speak Greek, and let's face it, the Greek speakers are not that many in the world, to have the luxury to call some of them 'non-greeks'.

Not suprising - turkey does have a horrible minority record. But it will change under EU pressure.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:34

PONTIAN GREEKS and their STRUGGLE for SURVIVAL Steve Papadopoulos, The National Herald, January 29-30, 2000

*These testimonies have been extracted from Steve Papadopoulos' book "Events and Cultural Characteristics regarding the Pontian-Greeks and their Descendants."

Around 1922 authorities of the Turkish and Greek governments reached an oral agreement to exchange populations as one of the steps in settling their political differences. The exchange of populations was to affect those Turks who lived in Greece and those Greeks who lived in Asia Minor, which included Pontos. This agreement was not formalized, according to [G.] Valavanis [Contemporary General History of Pontos. Athens : 1925] , until January 31, 1923.

Prior to this, however, in November of 1922, authorities of the Turkish government notified everyone, including those who had been relocated to the interior of Asia Minor and had not returned as of yet, to report to Trebizond and to submit their notices of intent to leave Pontos. Of course, this included only those few who remained in the cities and the others who somehow had made it through the hardships that took place during their exile. It was only those who by chance had escaped death through the slaughterings, the starvation, the diseases, the hangings, the burnings, the sentencings, and the many other ways the Turks had used in their attempts to annihilate the Pontian-Greek people. However, the Pontian-Greeks remained united.

Confusion, fear, hardships, disease and, once again, death were experienced by many Pontian-Greeks. Many informants indicated that with very short notice after their return from exile, they were directed to sell their belongings, take with them as many of their items as they could carry, and leave Pontos.

INFORMANT D [Male, born in Kotyora in 1916. This informant remembered little that had taken place in his native land, due to his age. However, he had done extensive research regarding Pontos and its people and was, therefore, able to provide rich and invaluable information. He has visited Pontos twice and has written a book which gives an overall history of Pontos. Due to his interest in this study, he became an outside reader of this dissertation.

The most memorable event that he recalled was his illness after he reached Greece. He also recalled the number of Pontian-Greeks who were dying on an island in Greece. He came to the United States in 1958, where he has been practicing medicine. In addition to his book, he has written and published many articles dealing with various topics related to Pontos.] He said that his family had escaped into Russia around 1916. They remained there for two years and returned to Pontos because they heard that peace had finally been reached between the Turks and the Pontian-Greeks. "Of course, " he said, "this was not true, and my family was to suffer once again many brutalities until we boarded a ship of Greece."

INFORMANT S [Male, born around 1912, in Krinita, Orpheos. The village Krinita was made up of 65 homes. All but 11 of the families were Pontian-Greek. His father worked in Rizos as a smith. When six Pontian-Greeks were to be exiled, a Turk hid his father. However, he said that an announcement came that no Turk was to hide any Pontian-Greeks and his father was asked to leave. "He left from Rizos and reached our village after a week," he said. "He was very sick when he reached our village. He died shortly after that. "

His most memorable event was the departure from Pontos. He said, "people in my village took with them as many things as they could, gathered by the church, and were escorted to a port city. From there they were supposed to go to Greece. However, no boat came. Finally, a small boat came. It took us and dropped us off at Prinkiponiso. Around 1,500 Pontian-Greeks had gathered on this island. Here the British and the American Red Cross provided rationed food for us. Another boat picked us up from here and brought us to Greece. After waiting there for a long time we were directed to a small village called Nea Trapezounta." He came to the United States to live with his children. ]

He indicated that when the two countries agreed upon the exchange of the populations, which took place in 1922, "we were informed of it and told that we were to leave Pontos sometime in 1923. However, the Turkish army came shortly after the notification and ordered us to leave. 'Take whatever you can and leave by the next morning', were the orders given to us. I remember preparing a few items to take with us as we were getting ready to leave. This was not expected. The villagers who were gathered by the army took whatever they could and got ready and went by the church. The army followed us all the way to the town where we were supposed to take off for Greece. However, no boats came for us. Finally, a boat came and told us that the boat would take aboard whoever paid five Pankanota (Turkish currency). The boat was small. It became very crowded. About seventeen families stayed behind. This boat took us to Constantinople. There the English and American Red Cross provided help for us. They placed us on Prinkiponiso, an island near Constantinople. We stayed there about three months. There were 1,000 to 1,500 people from Pontos on this island. We were provided with rationed food (sisitio). My grandfather was with us as well. A boat finally came and took us eleven days to get to Salonica. We starved. The boat stopped in Kavala for water only. Older people and younger ones, about four or five of them, died. Their bodies were thrown in the sea.

We finally arrived in Salonica. Here we suffered again just as much as we suffered in Pontos. We were placed in a field surrounded by fence (barbed wire). Here we would receive soup with beans in it so we wouldn't starve. Here people would go to other villages to beg for food. Even my mother went begging. I remember her coming back and bringing three ears of corn.

From Salonica, we started looking for villages to go in. Relatives of mine went looking and finally came back and decided to go to a village which was seven hours away from Kilkis. We boarded a train for Kilkis. The train was very crowded. For five days we traveled on the train. Finally, we reached Kilkis. We started walking to our destination. When we reached the village, people saw all kinds of vegetables and started to eat. Turks were still living in these villages. We stayed in this village until 1926. In 1926, my mother's brothers came and told us to move where they were going, and there we settled, in Nea Trapezounta Katerini. "

INFORMANT W [Female, born in Kotyora in 1905. This informant lost both of her parents in Pontos. Her mother died in 1916 as the problems between the Turks and Pontian-Greeks surfaced. Her father died in 1918 during the exile. She and her four brothers and sisters managed for themselves. She provided eyewitness accounts of events that took place in Pontos prior to her departure.

Her most memorable event was the actual departure from Pontos and her resettlement in Greece. She and her brothers and sisters were to go to Ordu with strangers, board a boat, and begin life all over in Greece. "When we reached Greece, " she said, "thank God some relatives came and took us from there and told us that we could stay with them. My uncle was also there...A room was made available to us; it was very small, but at least we didn't have to sleep in the park. At the beginning, the government provided one horse per family for all the Pontian families in the village. Turks were still here. They weren't forced to relocate as abruptly as we were. We were also provided with a home. During the summer we were provided with land. The land was outside of the village. These thirty Pontian families all decided to build houses outside of the village. None of us were given homes that Turks had abandoned. These homes were taken over by people who had lived there prior to us. Anyway, we finished building a little house and we began life all over once again. We were given farms and started farming...We were provided with about five acres of land. I tell you, this little town had the most organized Pontian neighborhood around. However, people became ill. Someone stole our horse as well one night. Now we had to go to our farms carrying everything on our backs. I remember running all around looking for this horse, to no avail. It had disappeared. There was no water. The water was very dirty. There was mud all over when it rained. After four or five years, we were provided with clear water." She came to the United States in 1928.]

She indicated that she, as well as many of the Pontian-Greeks, were very happy when they heard that they were to relocate to Greece. She gave the following account regarding her departure: "We filled out some papers. Ships came and picked us up at Ordu and we landed in Constantinople. This ship was Turkish and it was called "Kir Nahal."

In Ordu, when we went to register for the exchange, we were told that on a certain day a ship was leaving for Greece. This ship would pick up passengers from different locations in Pontos. We had few things with us, things that had not been stolen by the Turks.

Until we reached Constantinople, we suffered much to the due to the roughness of the sea. After we reached Constantinople, we stayed on the boat for two days. The boat was full of orphans, widows, and widowers, just like my family. My mother died in 1916 and my father in 1918. My mother died from yellow fever. She was burning up with fever. I remember her asking her mother for some water. Her mother didn't give her any; she was afraid that she would die. My grandmother died in a turkish hospital. I don't even know where or if she was buried. My father became ill during the exile. He kept saying, 'I hope I can get you children home.' He did, and he died. I remember we had no coffin to bury him in. We broke some boxes, made a coffin, and buried him. The Greeks and the Turks had separate cemeteries. We were left without a protector.

The people on the boat were stricken with smallpox. Doctors came and gave shots to everyone. They quarantined us for fifteen days. Those who died were thrown into the sea. We were fortunate we weren't stricken. We landed in Patras....Then we went to Arta...and then a notice came for us to relocate in Katerini. ..."

INFORMANT L [Female, born in Hamouri, around 1894. This informant...furnished vivid memories of her experiences in her native land. Her village was made up of approximately 100 families, all Pontian-Greeks.

When she was first approached for information, she was rather reluctant to talk. This was due to her health and her fear of the tape recorder. Eventually, she agreed to talk. However, due to the fact that she felt uncomfortable with the tape recorder, only part of the conversations were recorded. She had left Pontos in 1922 with the exchange populations. She provided information regarding life in general in her village and events which occurred prior to and during her departure from Pontos. Her most memorable event was the time she spent in Istanbul waiting for a boat to Greece. Here she lost most of the family members who were with her to a disease that killed hundreds of Pontian-Greeks. She finally reached Greece and, after days of wandering different parts of Greece, was directed to settle in Klitos, Kozani. She came to the United States to live with her son, who emigrated here in 1967. ]

She gave the following description of her departure from Pontos : "One day a Turk came and stuck a notice on the front door of our church. The notice said that the Greeks of this village had 15 days to pack their belongings and leave because the agreement to exchange populations between Greece and Turkey had been signed, but this was not true. The agreement had not been signed. They just wanted to steal things from us. Of course, we had no choice. We gathered in the churchyard. We didn't want to leave during the day because we were afraid the Turks would see us and fire upon us. We therefore decided to leave at night. Ladies carried their young ones and we began walking. One young man became ill. His mother knew that he was going to die. She wanted to return to the village so her son could have a peaceful death in familiar surroundings. We tried to discourage her; but she went anyway. Her son died a short while later, after she had reached the village. Then she came to Greece when the agreement to exchange populations was finally signed by Turkey and Greece. Things worked out for her. She didn't have to suffer too much on relocating. We had to stay in a jail in Constantinople for nine months. Many died. No baths, no food, lice all over. I lost three children in Constantinople. After nine months under the most undesirable living conditions, we were to leave and come to Salonica, Greece. As we were getting ready to board the ship bound for Salonica, the Turks lined us up. As we were waiting on the boat for our children to arrive, we were becoming impatient. After a while, the children appeared. Most were crying and blood was dripping from their heads. The Turks had beaten the children for no reason at all. Yes, they fooled us. We suffered. The exchange had not been signed as we were told in our village. If only the Russians hadn't taken off. You see, the Turks were going to do the same thing to us that they had done to the Armenians.

We finally boarded this Turkish ship which was in terrible condition, and we took off. We hit a storm, a very bad storm. Two ships sank and we were in fear of sinking as well. People were screaming. The priest who was with us began praying to Saint Nicholas to save us. We had to turn back. We landed in a city called Zorkutak. We stayed there for a day. We were starving. Our children were crying for something to eat. There was nothing, not even bread. We started our odyssey once again. We reached Constantinople, and there we finally got some bread to eat and we fed our children. For seventeen days we were on this boat. We were getting very restless. They finally let us out, on a day that it was pouring rain. The rain was really coming down. We were soaked. My children became sick. This is when two of them died. I buried them there. I don't want to remember any more of my trip to Greece."

She became very emotional at this point...[but] She did share some thoughts on her resettlement, describing it in a few words: "We landed in Salonica, an area called Ano Toumba. We were directed to some homes. Some people were lucky to get homes to stay in. We didn't. We stayed in a yard. We put down some handmade carpeting and sat down on that. For three or four weeks we stayed there. Some people would give us food to eat. Then we registered for the villages where we wanted to settle down. We signed up for Linda. Others went to Kavala. We were sent to a village where we really didn't want to go. However, we had no choice and therefore resettled in Klitos, Kozani. "

INFORMANT AA [Male, born in Livera, in the province of Rodopoli. This town was made up of about 370 families. With the exception of about ten families who were Turkish, all were Pontian-Greek. The family of this informant specialized in coppersmithing. He shared information about events he had witnesses prior to his departure and resettlement in Greece. His father left Pontos in 1912 and came to the United States. The most memorable event of this informant was the fate of a young man with whom he was sleeping on the boat. He said, "a young man with whom I was sleeping on the boat which was carrying us to Greece died in his sleep. In the morning, they threw his body in the sea."

In Greece, he settled in Asvestopetra. His father sponsored him after one year and he cam to the United States.]

When asked about people's reactions to the news of their departure, he said : "They did not like it. They had no time to sell any of their belongings. Their possessions were left behind. I remember my family. We had three homes. We left everything behind. We left the doors open and walked away. Of course, I was young and it did not hit me as hard.

Turks came one night and informed us that the Pontian-Greek inhabitants of this village had to leave by the next day. Some Turks came and ordered us to gather in the center of the town for they had something to tell us. I went with my mother. This Turk told everyone that we had to leave. He also informed us that we were not to take any animals with us nor rent any wagons to put our belongings in. We were to leave and take only the things that we could carry. They made this very clear. The next day we gathered as many things which were necessary and went to Stavri. From there we started out for Trapezus. However, when we left our village, the Turks who lived in our village escorted us so no one would bother us. They took us all the way to Trapezus. They were afraid that on the way to Trapezus other Turks might attack us. So they protected us. I was with my mother and aunt and cousins. We, the children, were from twelve to fourteen years old. Let me tell you an episode that took place when we boarded the ship named 'Kerasous'. This was a Turkish ship. I remember the time that we had to wait for ships to board. Greece did not send any. I guess they didn't care about us. Many people became ill and hungry. Many died because the little money they had was all spent. I remember a Turkish boat named 'Killcheman', which boarded many Pontian-Greeks, free of charge, and dropped them off in Constantinople. They dropped them off in a place called Estiscutary, Citilineo, where the Turkish army had barracks. Hundreds died there.

I remember when we finally rented a Turkish boat and left. A child who was sleeping with me died one night. I was sleeping next to him. They threw him in the sea. When we arrived in Constantinople, we went to an island called Halki. The Greeks there really went all out to help us. Not only there, but in Constantinople, as well. We did not receive such treatment in Greece. After, we left Halki. My relatives who lived in Constantinople came and took us from this island and we stayed in Constantinople until 1925. In Halki we were staying in a monastery called Saint George, which people said was Russian. This was a beautiful place. My father left in 1912 and came to America. My aunt went to get the papers. This gentleman helped her to get the papers and we were to leave for Greece. In Greece, we went to Salonica on an Italian boat in 1925. We settled in Asvestopetra, a village near Ptolemaida, the northern part of Greece. Here the Greek government gave us a farm and then they gave us an ox. Later they gave us wood to build a house. Comparing this with the things we had in Pontos, they gave us absolutely nothing. I don't resent it, however, because I know that thousands came and they had to take care of all of them.

Greece did not offer us much. although we did not live a very rich life, we existed. We had many things. Greece is the one that created many problems for us. They had internal problems and in trying to straighten them out, they created problems with Turkey and we, in turn, paid for everything. Of course, when I compare today's living with the life of Pontos, I realize that we lived a poor life. We didn't compare then, however, and we were very happy people. But I'll tell you, the things we had in Pontos, we did not find in Greece. The natural beauty that existed in Pontos does not exist anywhere. The trees, the rivers, the plants were all there. We stayed in Asvestopetra for one year and then my father, who was in the United States, sponsored us and we came here. I hadn't seen him in fifteen years. You see, he left when the problems began between the Turks and Pontian-Greeks. He went to Greece and from there he went to the United States. He lived in New York. Then he came to Canton, Ohio to visit some Pontian-Greek friends. When he came to Canton, his friends told him to stay there with them, and that's how he stayed with them. "

INFORMANT I [Male, born in Samen, Kerasountos in 1895. This informant recalled losing his younger brothers in 1910. Diphtheria killed them and many other children around the area of Pontos where he lived. He did not get to know his father until he was eight years old. His father had left for Russia shortly after his birth and returned when he was eight. He remembered that many Pontian-Greeks had left Pontos around 1913 because the Turkish government decided to draft everyone, including the Pontian Greeks. To avoid being drafted, he escaped and came to the United States. The most memorable experience he recalled was the hunger he experienced during his trip to America.]

"We took the boat from Ordu and we passed Istanbul. We did not get off the boat for fear of the war. The boat picked up some things there and from there we went to Pireas. There we were quarantined for ten days. We were waiting for a bigger boat to come and take us. After we boarded the other boat, it took us twenty-one days to reach America. As we came near America, someone died on the ship and they threw him in the sea. We were told to get out on an island which was near Canada. There was one policeman there. This was near Quebec. They gave us some bread and fish at nighttime and we boarded a train and came to Canton. My brothers and brother-in-law were here (in Canton) and I came; others had come. In 1925 I went to Greece, to the village Sedes, where my [other] brother lived. I went to stay, and after two years I came back to Canton." ----I?`

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:45

bg_turk, I don't want to go off-topic, because Mr. Spartakus seems to get angry when I do that, but I'll tell you this: here in Greece you'll find equally many stories about the mistreatment of Greeks by the Bulgarians and even my family was refugee from Bulgarian occupation. But in school books, and in my family, we do not a bad oppinion on Bulgarians, at least compared to our oppinion on Turks and Albanians for example.

Well, I could say that your family was refugee from Bulgarian occupation (from WWII, I presume; and I'm sorry for that), while some Bulgarian families didn't even survive Greek occupations. It's a fact that every Balkan state has done a lot of bad things and only Turkey and Serbia are much ahead in the material. And if I have to make a list with the Balkan countries I should hate (or at least dislike), Greece is not on the first place. We also have bigger enemies to hate and our opinion for the Greeks in our school books is not so bad (except, of course, for the phanariote part, but I've heard that there were also Greeks, who didn't like them). The not-so-good things I've heard for the present time are mainly from personal obervations of behaviour. But I'd say that there are also Italians, Turks and other foreigners, who provide terrible labour conditions in Bulgaria. So, after Romania, I could say that Greece is the next country, with which we could be good friends, if we try to fix our relations and deal with the past! Although, forgetting the past is, of course, a difficult thing here...

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:53

Originally posted by NikeBG

And if I have to make a list with the Balkan countries I should hate (or at least dislike), Greece is not on the first place.

And which one is?

-------------

Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 15:58

Originally posted by NikeBG

And if I have to make a list with the Balkan countries I should hate (or at least dislike), Greece is not on the first place.

And which one is?

I prefer not to announce it (I don't want to start another flaming war), but it's not Turkey, if that's what you mean.

P.S. I think this is quite off-topic, so: I apologize!

-------------

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 14-May-2006 at 16:02

So, we have 80 year old propaganda photos; we have articles pasted without comment, and now we have lists of countries to hate.

It didn't take this thread long to descend into the crapper, so it is flushed.

Topic locked.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com