Print Page | Close Window

Who are the Romans today?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mediterranean and Europe
Forum Discription: Greece, Macedon, Rome and other cultures such as Celtic and Germanic tribes
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1125
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 01:53
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who are the Romans today?
Posted By: coolstorm
Subject: Who are the Romans today?
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 01:43

Where are the Roman people now?

Who are the descendants of Romans?

Italians? or Latinos?

I have always wanted to ask this question.

Replies:
Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 03:52
Mostly Italians. But a few people all over Europe might have their genes.

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 07:47
I don't think there's a single European who has not a little of their genes. 

-------------

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 17:55
Very little, I would say. If you mean the original Romans of the early republic, I would bet that less than 2% of Italians have their genes.

Part of the problem is that there's no such thing as a Roman race. Roman is a political term for people living in an empire.

Posted By: YusakuJon3
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 18:24
In other words, practically no one is a 'Roman' today in the sense of the word as it as originally defined.  Instead, we have a mixture of Italian, German and Celtic with a dash of Greek and Semitic here and a stronger dose of Arabic there.  Practically everything that defined a persan as Roman was lost by the time the city fell under a Germanic invasion during the 5th Century AD, and it was already well-diluted by the influx of non-Roman slaves and immigrants that was swelling the city's population even before the rise of the empire.

-------------
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)

Posted By: Imperatore Dario I
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 20:06

There was never a Roman race. Italy was filled with various different populations. The Gauls to the north, the Greeks to the South, the Etruscans in the north west, and the Latins in the center. All of these blended to form Rome. But the Romans themselves called Italy the homeland of the Roman Empire, so I'd give it to Italy. Certainly, I'm not saying anything racially. Because then the modern Greeks are not the same as the ancient Greeks, the Iraqis, etc. But basically, the Romans called Italy their home. Alarmingly though, Italians have a more shared genetic make up with the Ancient Romans than popularly believed.Even the story of Rome's beginnings are not of a "pure" place. Like Virgil and the Aneneid story.

-------------

“Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.”- Virgil's Aeneid

Posted By: cattus
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 20:08
Where is the evidence that the Italians are a different people than that of the ancient Italics?

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 14:49

Originally posted by Catt

Where is the evidence that the Italians are a different people than that of the ancient Italics?

The ancient Italics were not the only people who were living in Italy. There were also the Greeks, Gauls, and Etruscans as well. But basically, it didn't change drastically through all the invasions that occured in Italy.

-------------

“Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.”- Virgil's Aeneid

Posted By: Romano Nero
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 07:23

Very good imperatore. Yes, the ancient Romans were predominantly Latin, but not only. Etruscan and Greek elements blended in the mix from very early - even in the times of the creation of the city. Later and especially in the imperial years, the population of Rome (1 mi. people at a point) literally was an amalgam from all over the empire. At least a hundred "races" ("ethnic groupings"?) blended in the grandioso melting pot of Rome. The "fine Roman familiae" became only a footnote in the history, while merchants, upstarters and even ex slaves from all over the empire (a 200 million people empire, at its best) became members of the ruling class of Rome.

Roman culture was dilluted all over, and became one of the most widely accepted western cultures of all times (the Greek, English and American should be the other contestants for that prize). It wasn't uncommon for Gauls, Greeks, Germanics or anyone else for that matter, to define their status as "Roman citizen". Because "Roman" wasn't a race; it was a status.

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 14:16
Originally posted by Romano Nero

Very good imperatore. Yes, the ancient Romans were predominantly Latin, but not only. Etruscan and Greek elements blended in the mix from very early - even in the times of the creation of the city. Later and especially in the imperial years, the population of Rome (1 mi. people at a point) literally was an amalgam from all over the empire. At least a hundred "races" ("ethnic groupings"?) blended in the grandioso melting pot of Rome. The "fine Roman familiae" became only a footnote in the history, while merchants, upstarters and even ex slaves from all over the empire (a 200 million people empire, at its best) became members of the ruling class of Rome.

Umm did you not see what I typed above? I DID say that it wasn't only Latins.

Roman culture was dilluted all over, and became one of the most widely accepted western cultures of all times (the Greek, English and American should be the other contestants for that prize). It wasn't uncommon for Gauls, Greeks, Germanics or anyone else for that matter, to define their status as "Roman citizen". Because "Roman" wasn't a race; it was a status.

How could the Greeks, British, and Americans be other contestants? Since when did the Romans land in America? Since when did the Greeks even look upon the Romans as equal? They've never liked the Romans, and the English? They've developed a Franco-Norman-English culture.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 15:08

Imperatore, I think you have misread what I have written, so I won't call you on your peculiary rude behaviour. Since you are not native English speaker, you probably didn't understand the fine implications (or the obvious ones, for that matter) of my writing and assumed wrongly that I was attacking you in some way.

Point one: I only said "bravo" to you for what you said - ie. I said you are right.

Point two: I wrote that the Roman culture became one of the most widely accepted western cultures of all times (the Greek, English and American should be the other contestants for that prize). . What excactly did you misunderstand about that?  Roman culture was one of the four most widely accepted western cultures. In their days, Greek, English and American were equally (more or less) widely accepted. What excactly did you misunderstand? What has liking each other got to do with that?

Friends?

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 14:12

Imperatore, I think you have misread what I have written, so I won't call you on your peculiary rude behaviour. Since you are not native English speaker, you probably didn't understand the fine implications (or the obvious ones, for that matter) of my writing and assumed wrongly that I was attacking you in some way.

Point one: I only said "bravo" to you for what you said - ie. I said you are right.

Point two: I wrote that the Roman culture became one of the most widely accepted western cultures of all times (the Greek, English and American should be the other contestants for that prize). . What excactly did you misunderstand about that?  Roman culture was one of the four most widely accepted western cultures. In their days, Greek, English and American were equally (more or less) widely accepted. What excactly did you misunderstand? What has liking each other got to do with that?

Friends?

I'm sorry, I assumed you said that Greece, England, and America were also contestants of being the "Romans today." I was wrong, I apologize.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 13:06

As an Italian American let jump into this fray.

First there is no such thing as an Italian race except as those of us who are called Italians but still highly mongrelized. This is bad? No not really. The most vigoriuos tribes invaded almost on a daily basis for thousands of years and it produced a most interesting people. The myriad races and groups are easily seen even today. In fact I have an excellant example.  All one has to do is look at our club photo of 1945 when 35 of us 16 year old guys formed a youth group at the local Sons Of Italy when they were having a membership drive hoping to attract some younger souls. 

chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

If you look at this photo you will realize why three of our friends were called Gook, Jap and Hawaiian Sam, I  mean slant eyes, straight black air and no shaving! Two had red hair, were tall  yet were  from Sicily. Some had a pure Roman face, just like the busts from those ancient day, straight nose etc. You could see in every face a different distinct type yet we were all first generation Italians whose parents all came form Rome south. My closets buddy Babe was a real handsome guy whose mother was a tall fairly large broom Hilda type with blue eyes and his  father a dark "Turk" which happened to be his knick name.  If any one  would like to discuss this further I'm at dkjons@yahoo.com, Rico.

>>

>>

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 20:15
Originally posted by riks

As an Italian American let jump into this fray.

First there is no such thing as an Italian race except as those of us who are called Italians but still highly mongrelized. This is bad? No not really. The most vigoriuos tribes invaded almost on a daily basis for thousands of years and it produced a most interesting people. The myriad races and groups are easily seen even today. In fact I have an excellant example.  All one has to do is look at our club photo of 1945 when 35 of us 16 year old guys formed a youth group at the local Sons Of Italy when they were having a membership drive hoping to attract some younger souls. 

chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

How can you even call Italians 'mongrelized'? Mongols are peoples of Asia, to this date,  there has been no Mongolic invasions of Italy (except of the Huns, whose army collapsed). There were no Asian influence on Italian geneology. In fact, most researches say that the blood of the Italian population remained the same over the past thousands of years.

If you look at this photo you will realize why three of our friends were called Gook, Jap and Hawaiian Sam, I  mean slant eyes, straight black air and no shaving! Two had red hair, were tall  yet were  from Sicily. Some had a pure Roman face, just like the busts from those ancient day, straight nose etc. You could see in every face a different distinct type yet we were all first generation Italians whose parents all came form Rome south. My closets buddy Babe was a real handsome guy whose mother was a tall fairly large broom Hilda type with blue eyes and his  father a dark "Turk" which happened to be his knick name.  If any one  would like to discuss this further I'm at dkjons@yahoo.com, Rico.

Strange things, and they all claimed to be "Italian?" In what century? I hightly doubt it at all. I AM from Sicily, I'm pure Sicilian, and there hasn't been any Asians or anything. Why do I highly, highly, discard you're comments as ludicrous? And I also have a hard time believing that you're Italian. HA! Hawaiian and Turkish looking people in Sicily, (I wonder how that could have happen, if neither the Turks, nor any Mongolic race ever occupied Sicily).

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 00:11
This could easily look similar to someone whose first language isnt english. Not mongol but mongrel which means a mix of many different, not just Asian.

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 06:54

This could easily look similar to someone whose first language isnt english. Not mongol but mongrel which means a mix of many different, not just Asian.

Yes, you're right, I've gotten it confused. But there has been no mix of many races in Italy, perhaps the Arab invasion in Sicily is the only exception (and the Arabs were wiped out later on). Unless you count the Latin, Etruscan, and Greek migrations well before Rome existed (which, BTW, certainly do not count, since those are not races, they're ethnicities), then there has been no racial mixing.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 08:06
Yes, you're right, I've gotten it confused. But there has been no mix of many races in Italy, perhaps the Arab invasion in Sicily is the only exception (and the Arabs were wiped out later on).

And don't forget the Normands.

-------------

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 13:19
there were also Carthaginians in western sicily. and after the end of Norman rule it was in the hands of Germans, French and Spaniards...

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 19:41

Originally posted by Temujin

there were also Carthaginians in western sicily. and after the end of Norman rule it was in the hands of Germans, French and Spaniards...

The Carthaginians? Yes, they occupied a slice of Western Sicily, but it's hard to believe that centuries after their occupation of the west that they didn't disappear. Plus the Normans don't count as another race, and they didn't put Germans in SIcily. In fact, they took Italians from the penninsula into the island, and then they themselves assimilated into the Sicilian population. The French occupation was pretty short, and they were overthrown by the Vespers, and the Spaniards, I don't recall any migration from Spain to Sicily (nor from France).

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 02:25

Goths migrated to Italy en masse. Something between 300 and 500K of Goths migrated into Italy during the 5th century AD only. Along with a great number of Lombardians (those where many) Franks and various other Germanic people. Also, you can't underestimate the Gallic influece, and surely the Arabic mix in the southern Italy was huge. And large bodies of Greeks and many, many more people from all over the Roman empire, migrated in ITaly (especially in Rome, but not only) during the existence of the unified Imperium Romanum.

I find the Italians a fascinating mix of people, and quite diverse too. In the North you find a lot of Germanic looking people, in the middle a mixture of typical mediteranean types and in Sicily you can find even demi-Semitic types... Fascinating.

On a relevant note, I've read an article somewhere about a few villages in mountainous Sicily, who still speak a form of Greek... a language called "Graeco" I think, or something like that...  

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 06:12
3-500k Goths migrated and stayed in Italy in the 5th century.Isnt that a little excessive,what are your sources on this?

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 07:09

3-500k Goths migrated and stayed in Italy in the 5th century.Isnt that a little excessive,what are your sources on this?

I didn't say "they stayed" in Italy, I said they  migrated in. It's not a number I've found in any source, it's more an estimation of mine, based on the size of the Gothic armies and of the buildup of the Gothic power structure and society, as described in Byzantine sources.

Apparently the Gothic armies at their best numbered anything between 80 and 140K men in total, spreadout in the center and northern mostly part of Italy, but also in the south (in the southern cities we could mostly talk about Gothic garissons in the local cities, the garissons in the cities of the North were quite large and in Ravenna and Rome huge). Since all adult males of some social status became fighters in the Gothic society, it is safe to multiply these numbers by 4 to get the size of the total Gothic population (ie. for each adult male in "fighting" age, there were at least 3 non-adult and/or non-male and/or not eligible for fighting, persons). I even rounded down the numbers I got. And I think the numbers could be even larger, because not all Goths were supposed to fight.

Most of the Goths dispersed in the country after the Byzantines destroyed their power, and few fled the country. But most got asimilated into the local population. So did the large Lombardian (Longobardian) populations and several elements of other Germanic people (Franks, Vandals and many others). The demographic impact of those was quite more stunning than the (very small) demographic impact of, let's say, the Normas, who only settled in southern Italy as a strong ruling class (and lots of them got massacred anyway).

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 11:04

Well isnt that what migrate implies,it certainly does in this context? The Italic people didnt go anywhere.There were millions of them and it would take major,major migrations and influx to displace them and any populace. There are Lombards in the north, and mixing in some places which obviously has had an impact on culture but has the genetic structure of most on the peninsula been completey altered? I have nothing against your personal forumla,but i would like to see more conclusive evidence before we strip Italy of its ancestry in this thread.

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 12:41
well, certainly norhtern Italy has a lot of non-italian blood, there were too many incursions from the north (especially Langobards) that changed the genetic pool considderably. the only other parts of Italy that are not over 90% italian are the islands of sicily and sardinia, but they're still much more italian than anything else.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 15:17

Italians are Italians, of course. But claiming genetical purity is really a ludicrus thing to say. No pure blood exists throughout Europe. Only the Basques could claim that they got by 60 or 70% the same blood they had a thousand years ago - claiming 90% Italic for the Italians is definitely utterly unscientific.

Try 30-35% maybe even 40% at best - and that's a better percentage than many other European "nations" of today.

We are all mixtures... only the purists claim otherwise (and we all know "why").

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 16:57
nobody is claiming purity. The original Latins have probably long and well mixed into the population, but why could there not be many original ancient italians,neolithic even. It is not uncommon for families to live in the country side for centuries untouched.
These percentages you keep stating seem conjecture.

Date Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 18:15

Goths migrated to Italy en masse. Something between 300 and 500K of Goths migrated into Italy during the 5th century AD only. Along with a great number of Lombardians (those where many) Franks and various other Germanic people. Also, you can't underestimate the Gallic influece, and surely the Arabic mix in the southern Italy was huge. And large bodies of Greeks and many, many more people from all over the Roman empire, migrated in ITaly (especially in Rome, but not only) during the existence of the unified Imperium Romanum.

I don't believe you. The Goths were spread over France, and settled in SPAIN, how did they find time to settle 500,000 Goths in Italy? As for the Lombards, they were driven out by the Franks (who did NOT settle), and the Gauls, they were Romanized. The Arabs were massacred by the native population and by the Normans. THe Greeks, they didn't migrate to Rome, where the hell did you get that information?

I find the Italians a fascinating mix of people, and quite diverse too. In the North you find a lot of Germanic looking people, in the middle a mixture of typical mediteranean types and in Sicily you can find even demi-Semitic types... Fascinating.On a relevant note, I've read an article somewhere about a few villages in mountainous Sicily, who still speak a form of Greek... a language called "Graeco" I think, or something like that...  

How funny....Sine it's all incorrect.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 18:19
Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

I don't believe you. The Goths were spread over France, and settled in SPAIN, how did they find time to settle 500,000 Goths in Italy?

The Visigots went through Italy and finally settled in Spain. The Ostrogoths arrived in Italy later. They took over power from Odoacer.

[quute]As for the Lombards, they were driven out by the Franks (who did NOT settle)[/quote]
Not really. The Lombards were conquered by the Franks, but they weren't driven out of Italy by them. Charlemagne got the title "King od the Franks and Lombards".

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 02:37

Imperatore,

You find yourself obliged to defend your genetical purity and I find that silly. Both the Goths and the Lombards (Longobards) devoted a huge part of the genetic make-up of the modern Italian population and no one in his right mind could disagree with that.

The Arabic and even more Greek influences and additions to the gene pool are rather obvious.

It is impressive what you can find on the Internet, if you are willing to devote a few minutes searching.

Here is the definition of the Griko language from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griko_language

Here is more insight about the language and those who speak it

http://www.molossia.org/griko.html

And here is a rather interesting Italian site (you'll feel like home reading it) about the Greeks surviving even today in southern Italy and their language.

http://www.sternatia.com/grec%C3%ACa_e_griko.htm

This is a small passage from this site:

La Grecia Salentina e un’isola linguistica, che si trova in provincia di Lecce, in una posizione centrale, equidistante dai due mari che bagnano la penisola del Salento, ed e costituita da 9 paesi: Melpignano, Castrignano dei Greci, Corigliano d’Otranto, Martano Zollino, Soleto Sternatia, Martignano e Calimera.

In quest’area e in uso un dialetto di origine greca il Griko o Grecanico che e ormai pressoche definitivamente scomparso a Melpignano e Soleto, mentre e parlato dalle persone piu anziane o soltanto compreso dai piu giovani negli altri comuni, specialmente a Sternatia.

(for those not speaking Italian, it says that the Greek dialect of Griko or Grecanico is being spoken in relatively isolated places in southern Italy and it mentions the names of 9 Griko-speaking villages)

You are either a very stubborn and nationalistic individual, or a very young (your rudeness complies to this) and immature one. If the case is the first and you claim purity for the Italian people, I don't have anything to say. If it's the latter, please take the time to read what others - who have studied more and know more - write and tell you about those things. There are no pure nations today, that's a huge fallacy. The Italian and the Balkan peninsula are probably the less homogenous areas throughout Europe, and the whole Europe is extremely non-homogenous anyway. We are all mixtures, genetically. I don't deny the continuation (legacy, if you wish) of the Roman culture to the current Italians, as I don't deny the legacy of the ancient Greeks to the modern Greeks. But it would be completely out of proportion to claim that genetically the modern Italians or Greeks are the same as their cultural ancestors.

Date Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 11:17

The Arabs were massacred by the native population and by the Normans.

no, it's rather the opposite. Muslim soldiers where highly regarded and formed the bodyguards of both Norman and German rulers of sicily.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 15:18

Imperatore,

You find yourself obliged to defend your genetical purity and I find that silly. Both the Goths and the Lombards (Longobards) devoted a huge part of the genetic make-up of the modern Italian population and no one in his right mind could disagree with that.

Don't try to lie and twist things. In NO WAY, have I ever said that the Italians are genetically pure, I ask that you point out where I have said that. If you can't, then please refrain from making up such trash. The Goths yes, occupied Italy after the overthrow of Romulus Augustulus, however, there intermixing with the Roman population was insignificant as only Odoacer's Gothic army settled in Italy.

As for the Lombards, they totally assimilated into the Italian population, and according to Valerio Lintner (A Traveller's History of Italy): “It is however important to note that we are here discussing an invasion of what was essentially a ruling elite. The majority of the population of Italy was and remained Roman in origin, and there was a limit to the extent to which the Lombards, or for that matter, any other invader, could change Italian ways: it was an evolutionary rather than a revolutionary set of influences.”

The Arabic and even more Greek influences and additions to the gene pool are rather obvious.

It is impressive what you can find on the Internet, if you are willing to devote a few minutes searching.

It's amazing how someone can refer the Greeks as a seperate race from the Italians. They were basically of the same type of people, Romano. As for the Arabs, remember that 10,000 troops invaded Sicily, from 843-902. They couldn't even totally control the population until 902. Then, when the Normans occupied the island, not only did they bring large numbers of Italians from Naples, but the Arabs fled from Sicily as well.

“Despite the good conditions offered by the Normans many Arabs emigrated respecting the obligation, provided for by their law, not to be able to live in a state dominated by an infidel.

Other Arabs, mainly merchants, progressively emigrated because the conditions of privilege that guaranteed lucrative business had come to a stop.”

http://web.genie.it/utenti/i/inanna/livello2-i/mediterraneo-3-i.htm - http://web.genie.it/utenti/i/inanna/livello2-i/mediterraneo- 3-i.htm

You're right, the internet is useful, especially when you uncover the truth.

And we all know about the Magnian Graecians that still live in Italy, and why was that even brought up? So Italy had a pre-Roman history, is it the end of the world?

You are either a very stubborn and nationalistic individual, or a very young (your rudeness complies to this) and immature one. If the case is the first and you claim purity for the Italian people, I don't have anything to say. If it's the latter, please take the time to read what others - who have studied more and know more - write and tell you about those things. There are no pure nations today, that's a huge fallacy. The Italian and the Balkan peninsula are probably the less homogenous areas throughout Europe, and the whole Europe is extremely non-homogenous anyway. We are all mixtures, genetically. I don't deny the continuation (legacy, if you wish) of the Roman culture to the current Italians, as I don't deny the legacy of the ancient Greeks to the modern Greeks. But it would be completely out of proportion to claim that genetically the modern Italians or Greeks are the same as their cultural ancestors

I wonder how many more people there are like you, that lie so much. Once again, you say that I claim genetic purity in Italians. Once again, I ask that you prove this, because I have said no such thing. Next, when have I ever claimed pure nations? I'm waiting. I have said that there hasn't been drastic changes in Italian genetics, which is absolutely true. On the very contrary, it is you that's making up false things, and still fails to back them up with any credible sources. I don't like those kinds of people, because even though I know you're totally rediculous, I always manage to fall into a stupid trap like this, and force myself to prove the other wrong.

-------------

Posted By: Cornellia
Date Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 20:35
Gentleman, there are ways to disagree with each other and to debate issues without calling each other liars.   Let's try to keep things civil.

-------------
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Date Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 23:58

As far as I am concerned, I didn't call anyone a liar. I could call a particular individual "a spoiled brat", in dire need of some manners, but I didn't.

Case closed, there is no use argueing with those who have walled ears. Moving on.

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2004 at 13:38

As far as I am concerned, I didn't call anyone a liar. I could call a particular individual "a spoiled brat", in dire need of some manners, but I didn't.

Case closed, there is no use argueing with those who have walled ears. Moving on.

Oh please, fine, whatever. But you have still failed to prove your point.

-------------

Posted By: Praetorian
Date Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 20:43

OK well this what I have to say . I am descendents of the Romans, the family name goes back to Roma in 150 B.C.  

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 21:55

The invasions of the Longobards had a more permanent effect than previous barbaric invasions. Claims of assimilation of invaders by Italians in the peninsular is very hard to claim. The reason is the depopulation of Italy during the Ostrogothic-Eastern Roman wars. From top to the bottom of the peninsula, it was utterly devastated. The population lacked the will to resist the invaders. I'd say the invaders brought a fresh influx of settlers. Dario is right in saying that the Longobards were small in numbers, but I disagree that they were assimilated. In terms of language, yes, but in everything else, it was the reverse. Until the 19th century, the Italians of the peninsular defined themselves by their religion and city-state rather than nationalist polity or identity. The region of Lombardy and the defunct province of Longobardia (now Apulia) suggests that the populace in those regions thought of themselves as Longobards first and foremost rather than as Italians. Its a case of a very strong minority imposing its will. Just look at the Franks, the Romans there eventually assimilated with the ruling class and thought of themselves as Franks, not Romans.

Date Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 17:16

Originally posted by paramerion

Dario is right in saying that the Longobards were small in numbers, but I disagree that they were assimilated. In terms of language, yes, but in everything else, it was the reverse. Until the 19th century, the Italians of the peninsular defined themselves by their religion and city-state rather than nationalist polity or identity. The region of Lombardy and the defunct province of Longobardia (now Apulia) suggests that the populace in those regions thought of themselves as Longobards first and foremost rather than as Italians. Its a case of a very strong minority imposing its will. Just look at the Franks, the Romans there eventually assimilated with the ruling class and thought of themselves as Franks, not Romans

You've missed something. I haven't said that the Lombards considered themselves Italians, I said they were assimilated, which is true. The term "Lombard" thereafter became associated with the Duchy centered in Milan. Just like in Venice, the population considered themselves Venetian, but we consider them Italians today. There's a difference with the Frankish assimilation and the Langobard assimilation.

-------------

Posted By: Serge L
Date Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 14:20

Who are the Romans today? Well, the obvious answer is: the c.a 2800000 inhabitants of a city that still exists and is the capital of the Republic of Italy

Who are the descendents of ancient Romans? hard to say, it mostly depends from what you mean with "ancient Romans". If they are just the inhabitants of Republican Rome, they are not very much, as IV mentioned (even if his 2% estimate is probably pessimistic). If they are all the citizens of the empire, the likely answer is that most Europeans and European descendents in the Americas, Oceania and other continents have some Roman ancestor.

There was never a Roman race.

Actually, there is not nor ever been any human race at all -- strictly speaking, the human phenotypes vary clinally, i.e. continuously, because of continuous intermix between each and any people and its neighbors. Moreover, clines are different for different genes and characters

As evidence of that, you can consider these famous genetic maps by Cavalli-Sforza:

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc1.jpg - http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc1.jpg

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc2.jpg - http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc2.jpg

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc3.jpg - http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc3.jpg

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc4.jpg - http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc4.jpg

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc5.jpg - http://www.angeltowns.com/members/racialreal/pc5.jpg  

As you can see, national borders are ignored by clines, and Italy is no exception on this regard.

However, if you consider the popular, empirical concept of "race", we can say that Romans and their neighbors Italici (Oscans, Umbrians, Apulians, etc.), approx. located in the center-South of modern Italy, were quite uniform in languages (practically, several dialects of the same tongue), and physical appearance.

Moreover, some studies tend to show that ancient Italics were not substantially different from the contemporary inhabitants of those same areas.

As evidence , please read this paragraphs from C.S.Coon the races of Europe about ancient Romans and modern Italians.

This work is rather old -- yet it's difficult to find so precise and zealous anthropometric studies nowadays.

<to be continued later, I need to cook some fish for dinner now>

[edited to fix links]

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 15:08

Roman culture was dilluted all over, and became one of the most widely accepted western cultures of all times (the Greek, English and American should be the other contestants for that prize).

Allow me to add the French to the list. For all the period between approx 1400 CE to 1900 the French exerted a very relevant to Europe and al the world. Some examples

• French language was the international common language after Latin and before English. German and Russian aristocracy commonly used French instead their local tongues. Even now, the official languages of diplomacy and even postal services is French
  • The French revolution's ideas of Freedom, Equality and Fraternity inspired many events in Europe and in the Americas
  • French people invented the metric system, which is now the basis of the Sistéme Internationale of measure units.
  • Paris was the main center of culture in Europe (and it's still Europe's biggest city)

The period of French Greatness largely overlaps with England's/Britain's one -- yet that does not mean that each of them is to be neglected.

Actually, England and France were, for long, the two super-powers in a cold war that in part anticipated the USA-USSR confrontation.

Riks,

as an Italian living in Italy, I can confirm you, in Italy you can find many different phenotypes, so that people coming from Russia, Poland, Latvia, Romania, Tunisia, Iran, Venezuela can be mistaken for Italians.

That's valid in particular in the proximity of big cities, like Rome, that are century old melting pots.

Sorry I cannot se that photo, unfortunately the system mistook part of the address as a smiley, and hence it's not possible to use that link.

Please try to correct the problem.

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 19:07

Well I was born in Puerto Rico and I am Roman descendent, the family name goes back to Roma in 150 B.C.  

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 19:13
Originally posted by Praetorian

Well I was born in Puerto Rico and I am Roman descendent, the family name goes back to Roma in 150 B.C.  

Ah, so it's true. I have heard that many Italian immigrated to Puerto Rico, I didn't know it was actually true.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 19:52

will actually , my recent ancestors were from Spain.

I’ll tell you more about my family history later because I got go right now.

By the way your right their were Italian immigrants to Puerto Rico because I have some family members in Puerto Rico that are Italian descendent

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 13:03
Originally posted by Serge L

Paris was the main center of culture in Europe (and it's still Europe's biggest city)

no, europes largest city is Moscow, followed by London, don't know where Paris is, but it's aroudn the same with Berlin and most other european capitals.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:28
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by Serge L

Paris was the main center of culture in Europe (and it's still Europe's biggest city)

no, europes largest city is Moscow, followed by London, don't know where Paris is, but it's aroudn the same with Berlin and most other european capitals.

If you include Paris's greater metropolitan area, than Paris is bigger.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:28

Well, Temujin, it really depends on your definition of "city".

If you mean city in the strict sense, with historical and/or officially defined borders, you are right.

The rank of European cities is:

MOSKVA (Moscow) Russia
LONDON UK
St Petersburg Russia
BERLIN Germany
MADRID Spain
ROMA Italy
KIEV Ukraine
PARIS France

In this sense, the largest city in the World is Seoul, South Korea, with 10,231,000 inhabitants.

However, if you would consider (as I did), not only the people official borders, but,  also the Urban areas (also known as "urban agglomerates" or "great cities" etc.), Paris becomes the largest European city,, with 9,319,000 inhabitants, followed by Moscow (8,538,000) and then London.

In this sense, the world largest city is New York, USA, with 21,199,000 people.

My data come from this UN related site:

http://www.citymayors.com/features/largest_cities.html - http://www.citymayors.com/features/largest_cities.html

Date Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:34
uh? what about mexico city? i always thought mexico city is the largest city of the world...

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 01:54
Close second, after NYC, in the "Urban areas" ranking. You did not have a look at my link, did you?

Date Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 01:11

Frankish and Longobardic assimilation are the same!

We are talking about a strong minority group imposing their will over devastating Roman territories. The Franks and Longobards assimilated my cultural characteristics of their host country but the host populace adopt the identity of their elite.

Date Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 04:38
Everyone of you has a wonderful point of view. But in all aspects we all came from one Holy Father. You can argue all that you want, but that is the plan and simple truth. The Romans were a breed of human race as were all of us.

Date Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 06:40
Originally posted by paramerion

Frankish and Longobardic assimilation are the same!

We are talking about a strong minority group imposing their will over devastating Roman territories. The Franks and Longobards assimilated my cultural characteristics of their host country but the host populace adopt the identity of their elite.

Italy was a damn mess of small kingdoms. the nation didn't even exist! How the hell do you expect them to identify themselves as "Italians"?

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Dec-2004 at 19:09

Italian in the nominal demographic sense rather than the MODERN national sense.

Posted By: AssyrianGuy7
Date Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 13:54
I once heard that Southern Italians originated from Mesopatamians.  Has anybody heard of this.

-------------
"Blessed be my people, Egypt, and the work of my hands, Assyria, and my special possession, Israel!"
(Isaiah 19:23-25)

Date Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 15:54
Never heard of it. The closest thing was Accadic language student G. semeraro who believe most word of Indo-European languages can come from Accadic (a Mesopotamic language, as you certainly know, including Italy (from Atalu, meaning "land of long shadows") and Europe (from Erepo = West) 

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 11:04

as far as i understand most people live in italy, syria and lebanon were Romans

and BTW i always thought Tokyo is the largest city in the world with a population more than 27 000 000 

Date Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 20:51

Saturday, 30 December, 2000, 05:54 GMT

Bombay is set to replace Tokyo as the world's most populous city by 2020, according to a study released in the US.

Bombay, home to about 18 million people, will over the next two decades see its population grow to about 28.5 million, according to the Washington-based Population Institute, in its annual overview of world population trends.

but look at this

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

São Paulo Brazil, world's second-biggest city, celebrates its 450th birthday!

off topic i know, but go back to you all later of the Romans 

Date Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 20:12

Originally posted by AssyrianGuy7

I once heard that Southern Italians originated from Mesopatamians.  Has anybody heard of this.

It's rubbish. Are you sure you're not getting Southern Italians mixed up with the Etruscans to the north?

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 00:46
Actually, there is this place in Eastern Africa that is believed to be the homeland of all human beings ... kinda throws off all the nationalistic arguments "my ancestors were that, and this, and the other"... when you think that we all originate from the same tribe of quasi-monkeys that started a long march from Ethiopia sometime in the past

Posted By: coolstorm
Date Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 02:03

"In this sense, the largest city in the World is Seoul, South Korea, with 10,231,000 inhabitants."

This is not accurate. As far as I know, the population of Shanghai, China is over 13,000,000, and if I am not mistaken, it is not the largest city in China by population but by size.

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 02:51
Mexico city is the largest city in the world, though that takes into account the whole urban area, and not just the admistrative region. Tokyo is second again considering full urban area.
But you'll get different lists using different criteria, so meh.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: demon
Date Posted: 17-Dec-2004 at 04:29

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

S? Paulo Brazil, world's second-biggest city, celebrates its 450th birthday!

Yay!  In fact, Sao Paulo was founded by Italian immigrants-making a good portion of the city with Roman Origin!

-------------
Grrr..

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 08:25
Really? I thought it was founded by the portuguese settlers, taking in account the city's name: São Paulo, not San Paolo....

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 18:50

Imperatore Dario I, i have very serious doubtless about the continuity since ancien romans to modern italians.

If you want know the most important foreign blood that arrive to Italy, don't look to Medieval Age, you must look to the Republic and Empire times.

At I century BC, with a slave population of 1/3 or 1/2 (2-4 millions of 7-8 millions), the roman Italy was a immense mixture of persons: many many syrians and other asiatic peoples, many celts and germans, a few hispanian and berberes... The continuity about you talk is impossible...

Only one possibility: the genetic studies compare romans of IV century AC with actual italians; the medieval blood of germans were relatevelly small, and the continuity is possible. Sorry, i can't read the links that you put in second page (error, error...), but i think that is impossible that the blood of population from iron age survive today.

bye

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 12:12
Originally posted by Ikki

Imperatore Dario I, i have very serious doubtless about the continuity since ancien romans to modern italians.

If you want know the most important foreign blood that arrive to Italy, don't look to Medieval Age, you must look to the Republic and Empire times.

At I century BC, with a slave population of 1/3 or 1/2 (2-4 millions of 7-8 millions), the roman Italy was a immense mixture of persons: many many syrians and other asiatic peoples, many celts and germans, a few hispanian and berberes... The continuity about you talk is impossible...

Only one possibility: the genetic studies compare romans of IV century AC with actual italians; the medieval blood of germans were relatevelly small, and the continuity is possible. Sorry, i can't read the links that you put in second page (error, error...), but i think that is impossible that the blood of population from iron age survive today.

bye

By your logic, I can't say that you being Spanish is the same as the Spanish that conquered the New World. Therefore, your country is not carried from the medieval Spain.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 18:59

umm your logic is illogical  Spain don't receive new blood since 1100-1300, when many franks come here. A conqueror that come back from América in 1550, for example, surelly don't have descents with foreign blood today.

A roman legionary from Tusculum at 250 BC had a long line of generations in the past only italic or etruscans, native italians since VIII century BP, and many more if we think that the italic people perhaps was a conquer minority. If that roman has descents today, surelly this have blood from: hispanian (S. II BC), greeks (middle II century BC), berberers and germans (late II century BC), asians from Anatolia and Syria (early I BC), gauls (middle I BC), germans again since 50 BC to 200 AC, and dacians (early I AC). The slave population of Italy was inmense, their bloods were mixed in that time, and for IV century AC was a only population (more or less, there were a few slaves). That is my logic.

You say that the italians of today are the same that classical times, how is possible? I think that is impossible, with all my respect.

bye

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 13:04
Originally posted by Ikki

umm your logic is illogical <:namespace prefix = v ns = "urnchemas-microsoft-com:vml" />HAPE id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" opt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">TROKE joinstyle="miter">TROKE>ath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connect="rect">ath>hape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 12.75pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt" ="#_x0000_t75" alt="">hape> chemas-microsoft-comfficemarttags" />lace>Spainlace> don't receive new blood since 1100-1300, when many franks come here. A conqueror that come back from América in 1550, for example, surelly don't have descents with foreign blood today.

chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

You are joking right? Aren’t you forgetting that after the Spanish army plundered the Indian civilizations, that they brought some of the women home? Did you also not forget that there were significant numbers of Moors, Jews, and Visigoths left in lace>Spainlace> since the barbarian invasions? How about all the other invasions lace>Spainlace> has had? They left a deep mark on Spanish blood.  Let’s also not forget the millions of immigrants the Spanish parliament has welcomed in (who now constitute more than 7% of the Spanish population and growing). It’s good logic. If by your definition, that the Romans imported too many slaves from other areas, and that doesn’t make Italy Roman, then modern lace>Spainlace> is definitely not related to medieval lace>Spainlace>.>>

A Roman legionary from Tusculum at 250 BC had a long line of generation in the past only italic or etruscans, native italians since VIII century BP, and many more if we think that the italic people perhaps was a conquer minority. If that roman has descents today, surelly this have blood from: hispanian (S. II BC), greeks (middle II century BC), berberers and germans (late II century BC), asians from Anatolia and Syria (early I BC), gauls (middle I BC), germans again since 50 BC to 200 AC, and dacians (early I AC). The slave population of Italy was inmense, their bloods were mixed in that time, and for IV century AC was a only population (more or less, there were a few slaves). That is my logic.

You’re so ignorant.  The Romans weren’t even from an original ethnic group themselves. They were from a mix of tribes around the region. Haven’t you ever heard of the rapture of the Sabine women? The Romans themselves described lace>Italylace> as their homeland, which is also why lace>Italylace> was never a Roman province. chemas-microsoft-comfficemarttags" />lace>Cicerolace> once quoted, after the granting of citizenship to non-Roman Italians: “Everyone in a corporate town [Italian city annexed by lace>Romelace>] has, I see it, two fatherlands. I will never forget that lace>Romelace> is my greater fatherland, and I will never forget my beloved native city which is but a part of lace>Romelace>.” (World History Series – The Decline and Fall of the lace>Roman Empirelace>)>>

You say that the italians of today are the same that classical times, how is possible? I think that is impossible, with all my respect.

Did I say that? Absolutely not!>>

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 15:47

I: "You say that the italians of today are the same that classical times, how is possible?..."

You:"Did I say that? Absolutely not!"

About Italy:

Imperatore Dario I said, page 1: "The ancient Italics were not the only people who were living in Italy. There were also the Greeks, Gauls, and Etruscans as well. But basically, it didn't change drastically through all the invasions that occured in Italy."

Yes, the slave "migration"

Imperatore Dario I said, page 1 too: "But there has been no mix of many races in Italy, perhaps the Arab invasion in Sicily is the only exception (and the Arabs were wiped out later on). Unless you count the Latin, Etruscan, and Greek migrations well before Rome existed (which, BTW, certainly do not count, since those are not races, they're ethnicities), then there has been no racial mixing."

Yes, the slave mixture from II BC to II AC. Latin, Etruscan, Greek + hispanians+berberers+germans+syrians+gauls+dacians...

You must think and then write please.

About Spain. Any women from América (natives) came to Spain; jews was a small minority in Spain and they was mixed with the native population, at 1492 they were expeled. There are only three great migrations to Spain since Roman times: 1. Goths, 150.000 of 5 millions of hispanians 2. The berberer migration at VIII and IX century; and 3. the european migrations at 1100-1300. Anymore, and they was a minority, perhaps 5% at the moment of migration. When the conquerors went to America, the spanish population was very uniform with the only exception of muslims: they wasn't arabs, not berberers, they was iberic peoples. There aren't any foreign peoples in Spain since 1300 to 2000. Please, I can see the recent migration, they are not our grandfathers... Perhaps in Future, now, no.

Posted By: Qnzkid711
Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 00:55

I love the last sentence there Imperatore. Rome was't a race; it was a status. I couldnt agree with you more. Not to mention for a short period of time, very short the equivalent of a US presiental term, the Roman Emperor was not white. He was of arabic decent. I forgot his name, his was murdered though. *Sarcastically* Big surprise....

Posted By: Qnzkid711
Date Posted: 16-Jan-2005 at 01:00
Originally posted by roman1244

Everyone of you has a wonderful point of view. But in all aspects we all came from one Holy Father. You can argue all that you want, but that is the plan and simple truth. The Romans were a breed of human race as were all of us.

Why can't everybody think like that?

Posted By: J.Caesar
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 23:27
There si no way modern Italians can claim to be the only decedants of Roman genes. No way. Italy was more etnically mixed up than the USA. Rome was just a city state and needed many others to poulate its army. Also, the amount of slaves from the Middleast,Germany,Gaul and other areas were amazing. Rome had moe slaves than Romans!
Italy was long settled by Celts,etrucans,Greeks and others before Rome grew! They are not in the Italian gene pool? Goths(perhpas Baltic),Germans and Celts througout the empire migratedand lived in Italy and became Roman citizens, not jus slaves. After the fall of Rome mas migrations occured. Of course they stayed in Italy. Who wouldn`t want that climate over the drab German.
My guess would be there could be more Roman genes in someone from Romania, Britain,Germany,Spain or elswhere than in Italy!(they are justbeen so mixed for so long)
We will find this out when DNA testing on ancients gets more reliable.
An American may have more Roman blood in him than an Italian:0
The Ital chap....may have more German blood in him than any other

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 05:04
I think that you commit a major error stating that Italy changed its population drastically in Roman times. I can't deny that some admixture due to slavery and provincial inmigration must have happened but only up to a point.

When we look at the genetics of Italy we see a majority of "western" lineages with a big deal of "mediterranean" ones. These last are usually attributed to Greece and the Aegean, but not just in times of Rome but in more ancient times, as southern and central Italy had recieved always apportations from that area, specially in the metallic ages but also in the very process of neolithization.

Also, I would suspect that most slaves in Rome had a short life and scarce descendance and were not from "Africa" but from the North. They were usually the byproduct of the Roman wars of expansion and later of unclear trading networks that fed on the barbarian countries, such as Germania or  Scythia. While we know mostly about the Thracian slaves, due to the fact that Thrace was the latest province to be incorporated and the Spartacus-led revolt, we have no reason to think that this was the main or only source of Roman slaves.

Also these slaves weren't sent only to Italy but rather to the agriculturally-producing provinces such as Sicily, Africa or Spain.

But it's difficult to imagine that, apart of some regions, their genetic imprint would be massive - specially for the short life expectancy of Roman slaves and the lack of a "reproductive slavery" as it was developed later in America.

Regarding Spain, I'd say that it's too far fetched to claim that native americans were brought in any significative number to the metropolis. True that in Southern Spain there was a good deal of African slavery but, with the formal abolition of it in metropolitan Spain, slaveowners sent all them to Cuba early in the 19th century. So the biggest non-European input in Spanish genetics is of Mediterranean origin, coming since at least neolithic times from either SE Europe, SW Asia or North Africa. But it is small anyhow (not comparable to Italy for instance - even lower than in the Netherlands).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 05:16
Originally posted by Cywr

Mexico city is the largest city in the world, though that takes into account the whole urban area, and not just the admistrative region. Tokyo is second again considering full urban area.
But you'll get different lists using different criteria, so meh.

Full urban area is most correct: municipalities and other administrative divisions are too arbitrary.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Theodore Felix
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 15:05
Who are the Romans? Every single European today. From the laws to social and cultural aspects. I would say European countries(France, Spain and England especially) are more Roman today then they were when they were in the empire...

-------------

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2006 at 16:46
 Romans today == the inhabitants of the city of Rome.

Date Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 00:12
I have an Italian american friend who says that there is even sub saharan Afriacn genes in the Rome gene pool. Rome was a center for all at the time and very international. He said he traced his roots to sub sahran Roamn legionairs. Supposedly there are much art seen in Pompei to back this. He does not look Black(has dirty blond hair and fair skin tone) but has something called Keloid skin (produces too much scar tissue) and sickle cell trait. So...who knows. He tells me the story of the sub saharan legionaires...one famous one named after a saint ..that carried the 'spear of christ' into battle,who was later executed because he would not worship the emperor as a God.

Date Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 01:08
Another point: Looking ar ancient Roman portaits they seem very different than modern Italians. The Romans looked like a very muscaular lot to be sure but very ugly in facial appereance, remarkedly so. Modern Italians are anything but ugly.(especially the women)

Posted By: Aster Thrax Eupator
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2008 at 21:35

Frankly, it's a bit of a meaningless question - we can't say who was a Roman anymore than we can say who was a carolingian Frank or a Saxon - it's very hard and perhaps too hard to give a logical answer. We also have to consider the role of the "great migrations" into Italy after the collapse of Rome in the late antiquity period.

-------------

Posted By: Sun Tzu
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2008 at 16:52

I think the Welsh have a big Roman background

-------------
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu

Posted By: Antonivs
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2008 at 17:42

Gretings to all of you!

Its silly talking about Romans as a race.
Romans are a mixture of several peoples, because dont exist any racial rquirement to became a roman. Even a former barbarian can be a roman, not to talk of a greek, a syrian or a phoenician (yes, even from the ancient territory of Carthage....), if the respect some requirements: fidelity to Rome, a roman patron and pray for the sake of the Empire and the Emperor, speak latin was optional.

About the today descendants of the Romans...

There arent any actual political descendents of the Romans, if you see them as a part of a continuous Roman state.
But in Europe, since centuries, there are a dream of reviving the Roman Empire, as the empire for excelence...
And today EU and USA are very inspired in the roman state!

If you want to talk about cultural heritage you must see the Ocidental Civilization as the heir of several cultures, and the culture that make the union of all are the roman culture.
Believe me: if you live in Europe, or America, or in any place with a strong ocidental cultural influence you are living in a place with a strong roman influence, and so deep that pass unnoticed often...

Date Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 19:41
Tongue

Date Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 19:42

How mutch for it?

Posted By: Julius Augustus
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2008 at 08:16
I think every province that was conquered by the romans have their blood, Syria to Britain, from Tunisia to Germany, all conquered people without knowing it has Roman blood. Same goes with the Greeks, Iran, Iraq to Egypt has their blood and vice versa because of the influx, heck I think nobody can claim they are pure nowadays because of this. 

Date Posted: 28-Mar-2008 at 02:21
I would place my best bet on the English, or at least the ones residing below Hadrian's wall.

Posted By: curiosity1
Date Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 08:19
I always thought that Romans were the ancestors of Italians because of the word Rome. But someone told me recently that they are actually Germans. I am confused, can someone explain, please.

Posted By: Vorian
Date Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 12:27
Originally posted by curiosity1

I always thought that Romans were the ancestors of Italians because of the word Rome. But someone told me recently that they are actually Germans. I am confused, can someone explain, please.

Well the one who told you was right. If we talk about DNA or heritage modern Italians are indeed descendants of the Romans. Of course they have mixed a lot with Ostrogoths and Lombards and Normans and Greeks but if you go to Italy you will notice that except from the north their characteristics are Mediterranean

I would place my bets that the closest to Romans are some country blokes in a village somewhere in the mountains of Italy.

Posted By: cola
Date Posted: 15-Apr-2008 at 18:51
This question is too vague to come to any conclusion as at some point even the etruscans, sabines, latins etc. werent considered roman.
It should be first decided wether we are talking about the people who first settled the seven hills or the citizenship. 
It might be more reasonable to ask who are the descendants of ancient italic tribes which the answer is quite obvious.

-------------
Keep it real

Posted By: Basileus
Date Posted: 11-May-2008 at 14:24
I believe the modern Italians are direct descendents of the ancient Italians (Romans, Etruscans, Greeks, Celts and Pelasgians). Sure all people on earth have mixed but it would be wrong to say that the Italians look different or have no blood relation to there ancient forebears. As for other nations having Roman lineage i seriously doubt such a thing.

Date Posted: 13-May-2008 at 03:19
By what evidence do you doubt such a thing? They did have numerous colonies, and Romanization was an incredible success, too. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13-May-2008 at 06:43

By the use of Anthropology and Genetics. I just find it too hard for lets say a British or a German having ancient Italian ancestors, its just too silly colonies are allways much smaller then the ‘native’ population. You would have to be very very lucky.

Date Posted: 13-May-2008 at 06:54
No you would not have to be very very very lucky. By the fact that there are 700 million people in Europe today, and there were about 30 then that amounts to a lot of deascendants.
genghis Khan has millions. etc..

A first generation can have 4 children as an example

If four of those have children you get between 4 and up to 16

that generation can double to quadruple its next generation

little by little you end up with thousands of people descending from generation 0

Big%20smile

I just find it too hard for people not to have some sort of mix of blood. Judging by your theory then the non-Roman Italians themselves probably would not have any. Considering that
Rome was depopulated no one has Roman blood then.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-May-2008 at 07:03

- probably 100 million contemporary Americans descended from 5-8,000 Great Migration immigrants of 1620-50. If you have 50 or more sets (husbands and wives) of Great Migration immigrant forebears, you are probably related to almost all of the 100 million, within the range of 8th-12th cousins. The probability of kinship to notables is fully 100 percent, and the number of such “household name†distant kin probably surpasses 500, possibly 1000.

http://www.newenglandancestors.org/research/services/articles_gbr34.asp

an example of New England descent patterns studied among numerous others can give you a hint here

By assuming that there would be almost none who would descend from them, then that would mean that there was a static population from antiquity to now, when that is obviously not the case. We have had a population explosion of up to close to 7 billion people from a worldwide of no more than three hundred million in antiquity

-------------

Date Posted: 13-May-2008 at 07:16

Well America and Rome are both very very different  considering ones a modern invention and they span over a millenia in difference. Also are you sure that these people where not Romanized? We all know the power of culture. Lets not forget the plagues that hit Europe during the 'Middle Ages' and the various Barbaric German hoards that invaded and basically ended the 'Western Roman Empire'. I can see maybe the French and Spaniards having a bit of Roman Lineage but the British i sinserly doubt such a thing, after all the Celts above Hadrians Wall where basically running around free.

Posted By: Carpathian Wolf
Date Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 20:12
Don't the Greeks still use the name Roman sometimes for themselves? And what about the Romanians. They don't use the "nians" at the end. They simply say Roman.

Tu esti Roman?

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 20:34
Originally posted by es_bih

No you would not have to be very very very lucky. By the fact that there are 700 million people in Europe today, and there were about 30 then that amounts to a lot of deascendants.
genghis Khan has millions. etc..

A first generation can have 4 children as an example

If four of those have children you get between 4 and up to 16

that generation can double to quadruple its next generation

little by little you end up with thousands of people descending from generation 0

Big%20smile
Assuming you're not worried by incest.

Actually I suspect the broadest spreading of Roman genes came from brothels, prostitution and slavery. In the colonies I would expect lots more Y-chromosomes from Rome than mitochondrial ones.

"One man in his time plays many parts...."

Of course, not all Roman soldiers were Romans or Italians. Former Roman colonies in general therefore almost certainly have liberal sprinklings of genes from all the other colonies as well as Italy.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 21:05
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by es_bih

No you would not have to be very very very lucky. By the fact that there are 700 million people in Europe today, and there were about 30 then that amounts to a lot of deascendants. genghis Khan has millions. etc..A first generation can have 4 children as an exampleIf four of those have children you get between 4 and up to 16that generation can double to quadruple its next generationlittle by little you end up with thousands of people descending from generation 0Big%20smile

Assuming you're not worried by incest.

Actually I suspect the broadest spreading of Roman genes came from brothels, prostitution and slavery. In the colonies I would expect lots more Y-chromosomes from Rome than mitochondrial ones.

"One man in his time plays many parts...."

Of course, not all Roman soldiers were Romans or Italians. Former Roman colonies in general therefore almost certainly have liberal sprinklings of genes from all the other colonies as well as Italy.

Most certainly I agree with you on that point. Racial or ethnic purity as we have seen it develop over the last two centuries did not bother Romans. For Justinian or Emperors both before and after him saw themselves as Romans and many had provincial peasant backgrounds. A lot of mixing of different peoples occured. It is highy possible due to that that the Roman Romans who were in the service and colonials spread Roman genetics alongside many others all around the Roman world.

-------------

Posted By: Basilikos
Date Posted: 11-Jun-2008 at 20:17
This kind of a debate never gets anywhere. Its the same kind of debating that goes on with the Greeks are they the same people. Some will say yes some will say no the same will be said about the Romans.

-------------
http://www.macedoniainsight.com - Macedonia Insight

Posted By: William123
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2014 at 21:03
From approx 43 AD - 47 AD is when the Roman conquest of southern Britain occurred and then became part of the roman empire in which many Romans settled in Southern Britain and or where stationed there, eventually they Occupied the whole of Britain and built a wall between England and Scotland to Try prevent Scottish Tribes from attaching. 
The Romans occupied Britain Until 
410 AD in which time they Retreated and left the Remaining Britain's and Romans who chose to stay to defend themselves.
now considering the long duration The Romans where in Britain i would defiantly say that there is mix between to twos Genetics

Posted By: Centrix Vigilis
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2014 at 23:24
by that do you identify the historically traditional tribes of the south or do you include the celts-Welsh-Scots in the west-north?

-------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Posted By: Oma B.
Date Posted: 27-Feb-2017 at 15:53
I am from Laeti or Foederati married into the lines of Vispania Agrippa, King Gaius Julius Alexander, and Marcus Antonius.  I live in the U.S.  I have ancestors who married an Italian Princess when they were Kings of Toxandrie (belgium and Luxembourg).  The following is what I found from wikipedia after tracing my ancestors:

The franks were called gauls which developed out of celtic culture.  They controlled river trade routes and divided into three tribes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trocmi - Trocmi , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolistobogii - Tolistobogii and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tectosages - Tectosages in 278bc to help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicomedes_I_of_Bithynia - Nicomedes I of Bithynia   in a dynastic struggle against his brother. They were eventually defeated by the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seleucid_Empire - Seleucid king https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiochus_I - Antiochus I (275 BC), in a battle where the Seleucid war elephants shocked them.  In the settlement of 64 BC, Galatia became a client-state of the Roman empire, the old constitution disappeared, and three chiefs (wrongly styled "tetrarchs") were appointed, one for each tribe. But this arrangement soon gave way before the ambition of one of these tetrarchs, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deiotarus - Deiotarus ,  who made himself master of the other two tetrarchies and was finally recognized by the Romans as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kings_of_Galatia - 'king' of Galatia . The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatian_language - Galatian language continued to be spoken in central https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatolia - Anatolia until the 6th century. Deiotarus sided with the others against caesar and after Caesar's death, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Antony - Mark Antony , for a large monetary consideration, publicly announced that, in accordance with instructions left by Caesar, Deiotarus was to resume possession of all the territory of which he had been deprived.

The Roman Empire split into a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallic_Empire - Gallic Empire in the West (260–274) (when france, belgium and luxembourg separated into gallic from roman empire) with constantius as caesar.  Constantine settled https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franks - Franks on the lower left bank of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine - Rhine ; their settlements required a line of fortifications to keep them in check, indicating that Rome had lost almost all local control. In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Gaul - Gaul (france, luxembourgh, belgium), which did not really recover from the invasions of the third century, there was widespread insecurity and economic decline in the 300s.  In 306 ragaise king of toxandrie  and Ascaric led a Frankish raid across the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhine - Rhine into southern https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaul - Gaul while https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_the_Great - Constantine the Great was campaigning against the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts - Picts in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia - Britannia . Apparently the two had made a previous agreement with Rome not to cross the border, since Constantine sought to punish them as traitors upon his return. The execution took place in one of the chief cities of Gaul, probably https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier - Trier , and the two Franks and their followers were torn apart by animals in the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphitheatre - amphitheatre before a large crowd. Royaume europe lists Ragaise as german. Ragaise ancestors remained King of Toxandrie until the 400's Until Theodemir de toxandrie's son Chlodion le Chevelu de Francie, chef des Francs (vers 392 - 448) became the last.

Posted By: red clay
Date Posted: 27-Feb-2017 at 16:05
Welcome to the forum. Just be careful with "copy paste".

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Posted By: Oma B.
Date Posted: 28-Feb-2017 at 13:10
OK, on being careful copy pasting.  Thank you for welcoming me.

________________________________________________________________________________
Ronald Reagan — 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.'

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com