Print Page | Close Window

Just how could Persia lose to Greece?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Ancient Mesopotamia, Near East and Greater Iran
Forum Discription: Babylon, Egypt, Persia and other civilizations of the Near East from ancient times to 600s AD
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 04:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Just how could Persia lose to Greece?
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Just how could Persia lose to Greece?
Date Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 19:13
The story of Alexander seems to be something out of a western hollywood movie and i still find it hard to believe how a Macedonian-Greek boy (in his 20s?) could not only challenge but also conquer, defeat0 and control the might of the Persian Empire!

Can someone present the main reasons why the Persians where unable to crush the Greeks, despite having conquered the rest of the known world?

Why Alexander was able to defeat them so decievely despite being at a obvious disadvantage, in terms of troops and resources etc ?

please list them if you can

i would like to hear the Persian side, surely such a catastrophe in nations (or peoples) history must be remembered in every persian house - so how do they tell the story to their children etc? I really want to know the Persian side.

Replies:
Posted By: fastspawn
Date Posted: 14-Aug-2004 at 20:33
i watched time commanders, the battle of guagemela, and their explanation was that although sorely outnunmbered, the greeks were well-trained and battle hardened.

The persians on the hand were made up of many merceneries and conscipt soldiers.

The battle they staged had the conscripts in front (they were slingers) and the front-line fell back as soon as the horses came crashing down. This had a domino effect whereby the mercs left the field, and the undisciplined persian elites were  drawn away from battle because of a bait--The enemy camp.

How true this is, i don't know.

Posted By: Cyrus Shahmiri
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 13:26
Persian empire declined when Artaxerxes III became king, I think he was the cruelest Persian king, it is said that he set fire to a large city in modern Lebanon and killed at least 40,000 of its citizens, anyway he died and his son Oarses succeeded the throne but he was killed soon, Artaxerxes had killed his own sons, brothers and cousins, so there was no other successor, finally with help of an Egyptian eunuch (Bagoas ?) Darius III who was probably one of decendents of Darius II ?? became the Persian king of kings, Darius III had faced many rivals for the throne, in this condition Alexander attacked Persia, Darius never could unite the Persians against him and at the end he was killed by one of his rivals.

-------------

Posted By: TJK
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 14:22
There were many reasons.. 
Starting from the end of  persian-greek war in the beginnig of V centaury BC, Greeks have recognized their miltary system is superior to the Persian..this was confirmed during the civil wars in Persia - especially during the Cyrus the Younger expedition. Greek military supriopriority was still not enough to conquer the whole Persian Empire when the greeks was not united..It was also well known in Persopolis.. thus the principle of Persian rulers politics was to not admit that the single Greek state will have the dominat position..this politics works well in V and in first half of IV cenatury. This was however ruined when the two brillant successive figures have occured in near Greece area. Macedonian king Philip II have introduced the revolutionary changes to the art of warfare and due to its impementation have subordinated the whole Greece. Philip's son - Alexander have developed his fahter's ideas as well in wafare as in ambitions.

Thus the main reasons were:
  • the genius of greek/macedonians leaders
  • the  supriority of greek/macedonian warfare
  • decentalization of Persian Empire 

Posted By: Dari
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 15:11
Cyrus the Great is more then Alexander's equal....at Persia's military height. Alexander's conquest of the Persian Empire does not prove that Greek/Macedonian military is superior to Persian military. As Cyrus the Great easily smashed the Ionian hopilites of various city-states and provinces.

-------------

Dari is a pimp master

Date Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 16:18
Cyrus the Great is more then Alexander's equal....at Persia's military height

I must say my opinion is different...
Alexander's conquest of the Persian Empire does not prove that Greek/Macedonian military is superior to Persian military.

Really ? So what is reason that the much less numerous forces have conquered such bifg empire ?
. As Cyrus the Great easily smashed the Ionian hopilites of various city-states and provinces.

1. We discuss here about two different periods.. and and you seem to do not regonise the develompent of greek warfare in the V and especially IV centaury BC..
2. So what is the reason of defeat of Achemaenid  Empire by Macedonians ?

Posted By: Dari
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 16:37

Easily its internal corruption, decadence, in-fighting and the lack of unity to actually confront the Greeks and Macedonians when on Persian and Iranian soil.

-------------

Dari is a pimp master

Date Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 16:50
Easily its internal corruption, decadence, in-fighting and the lack of unity to actually confront the Greeks and Macedonians when on Persian and Iranian soil.

1. decandence in fighting have been showed much before - during invasion of Greece in V centaury..just even the best persian units lkie immortals could not stand against greek hoplite without good helmet, shield and sword...
2. Internal corruption was on the level which was always typicall for the Empire since the post Xerxes period..
3. lack of unity - I would say the  Empire in this age have showed really big unity and the loyality to the Dariush..after really great defeat at Issos the major of the provinces have still  issued armies to support the persian king..

Posted By: Tonifranz
Date Posted: 15-Aug-2004 at 16:54

And besides, in 490-479 BC, the Persians were still at the height of their power, during the Persian invasion of Greece. And they still lost to a bunch of puny squabbling city states.

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 16-Aug-2004 at 06:33

The weakness of the Persian empire military system was evident ever since Xanophon and his 10000 hoplites, without any cavalry or archers, were able to first defeat a whole wind of the Persian army at the battle of Cunaxa with not even one fatality and then escape from the heart of the Persian empire defeating all armies that were send against them. read the whole Anabasis here: http://www.earth-history.com/Greece/greece-xenophon-anabasis-preface.htm - http://www.earth-history.com/Greece/greece-xenophon-anabasis -preface.htm

Learning from this Agesilaus of Sparta ( http://www.e-classics.com/AGESILAUS.html - http://www.e-classics.com/AGESILAUS.html ) was able to attack Persia and conquer all of Asia Minor coast (and plunder it as well) before he was obliged to return to Greece to face fellow-Greeks in battle.

Later on when the Greeks were united under Philip and later his son Alexander, they were able to go in for the kill. Persia was ripe for the picking.

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: YusakuJon3
Date Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 20:52
I think Cyrus, Yjannis and TJK very much hit on all the reasons for Persian decline.  The house of Achaemenes was so torn by internecine conflict and court intrigues that it was unable to withstand the momentous assault by an ambitious young Macedonian king and his modest army of Greek hoplites, Macedonian infantry and Thessalian cavalry.  While Darius III did indeed rally his subjects for two successive battles against the Hellenes (as Greeks called themselves then), each defeat -- plus the loss of vital provinces like the Levant coast and Egypt -- was a blw that weakened his authority and left him vulnerable to the final treason of his generals.  Fleeing the oncoming charge by Alexander (we had a heavily-armed youth on horseback racing towards a lightly-armed king in a chariot) didn't help things any, but it gave the Persian empire a short respite as Alexander regrouped his forces and delayed plans to penetrate the heartland.

-------------
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 03:53
Wait a second Dari is Absolutly right. TJK don't be an idiot. Firstly you say Persian were defeated in invasion of greece. First these junks are told by Greek historians they would never say they lost a single battle. Secondly modern research is proving that Alexander was killed by Ariobarzan and before conquering Persia a guy from Median decent got his merceneries and overthrew they persians usin persia's own army by promises. They say Alexander(the median guy, he was homosexual by the way although he had a wife for prospeity and no children)went through Lut desert in two days. A researcher from britain said he could not do it in two weeks with a car. Moreover they found that Persepolis was never burnt at all............... Persians defeated Greeks in their invasion and Burnt Acropolis instead in time of Xerxes.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 03:59
PERSIA NEVER LOST TO GREECE OR THE GAY ALEXANDER AND BEATED THE HELL OUT OF THEM. MOREOVER AFTER GREEK OR ARAB OR MONGOLIAN INVASIONS PERSIA RISED AGAIN WHILE GREECE WAS FADED IN HISTORY UNTIL THE LAST CENTURY BY ROMANS.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 06:44

WOW!!!    That was impressing!

Talking about history revisionism...

Btw, do you have something against gay people?

-------------

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: Rebelsoul
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 07:02

jamshidi_f

You are cracking me up, man! You are great! Keep them coming, yo!

Posted By: Cornellia
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 09:00

Originally posted by jamshidi_f

PERSIA NEVER LOST TO GREECE OR THE GAY ALEXANDER AND BEATED THE HELL OUT OF THEM. MOREOVER AFTER GREEK OR ARAB OR MONGOLIAN INVASIONS PERSIA RISED AGAIN WHILE GREECE WAS FADED IN HISTORY UNTIL THE LAST CENTURY BY ROMANS.

I don't know where to begin.  This theory is definitely controversial and appears to fly in the face of historical and archaeological records. 

I guess I should start by asking you for your sources.  You mentioned in another thread that Persepolis wasn't burned and about a 'pseudo-Alexander'.   What are your sources for this?

-------------
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 14:26
Although these are modern reseaches, there is one book called "Eskandar-e-Dorooghin" which is mostly found in Middle East and is very new. It is written by Dr.AbdoAzim Rezai.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 14:27
Dr.Rezai mentions that he had some partners from Britain in examining samples from Persepolis.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 14:28
I have not completely read the book.However, I have seen it and read the first 6 chapters.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 14:37
TJK don't be an idiot.

Great start-post jamshidi_f !
I think our Historical Amusement subforum will appreciate your posts..

BTW Are you Lor ?

forum_topics.asp?FID=19" target="_self -

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 14:47
Sorry TJK I did not mean any disrespects it just went out of my mouth(keyboard).
I respect your ideas and the fact that you know a lot about history.

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 20:42

jamshidi_f, please understand I mean no offense....

But I'd be very careful about tossing out historical and archaeological evidence based on the theories postulated in one book.  You should check his sources and credentials and then check the contrary evidence before accepting any new theory willy nilly.

I did a google search on Dr.AbdoAzim Rezai and haven't found any hits yet.  I did find a Dr. Rezai who is a world renowned neurosurgeon in Cleveland and a Dr. Rezai at the University of Iran.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 23:19
Sorry but we do not have a University of Iran. Maybe you meant university of Tehran. Yeah, he has also written a book called Ten Thousand Years of Persian History. I know that he is not very famous and I can tell you names of thousands of researchers that you can not find in google OR libraries. Thanks for your advice, however let me say that the history that we know is always on the side of greeks or Romans because American and British researchers are more famous and their work and information about them can be easily found in google.(Old British historians would always take the side of European victories) If a country like Iran had the ability and finances to create world famous History books would you think that we would know the history of the world this way?? Their researchers are not as famous as those of Americans and their evidence is not recognized that much.(not easily found in google) However, you are right and maybe I am wrong. THIS IS JUST AN IDEA THAT HAS A PROBABILITY OF BEING TRUE(ALTHOUGH SAMLL.).

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 06:47

You presented what you claim is evidence and disregarded historical and archaeological evidence (NOT created by Americans or British as you claim - instead written by contemporaries) and yet you can't present the evidence at all......it doesn't have to be googleable.

It just has to be available for review and critique and cross reference.  It is not and that alone makes it unsubstantiated at best and suspect at worse.

My problem is that without being able to read and investigate Dr. Rezai's claims, I can neither accept nor deny them.

-------------

Posted By: Imperatore Dario I
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 12:25

I'm just targeting the original message. I don't think Alexander's invasion of Persia was necessarily easy, even if Persia did lose. Alexander did indeed struggle (at least IMO) fighting against Persian troops. Also, we need to point out that his father issued major reforms within the Kingdom of Macedonia which enable the rise of a small, though extremely well trained and powerful army. And we need to be assured that without his father's reforms, Alexander may have well failed in his assault on the Persian Empire. But a lot has to do with also a lot of Persian weaknesses. Persia was in a major decline by then. Even though it was still a major superpower, and even though her army was huge, it was in no shape for war. Frequent revolts, mercanary armies all took a large toll on the Persian war machine.

And of course, we all know that mercanary armies are basically worthless and untrustworthy to use in a fight, especially against the Macedonian army they encountered. Coupled with the fact that many areas of the Empire, like Egypt, and other areas wished to throw off Persian rule, that exceptionally aided Alexander in his conquests. And we've just gotta hand it to Alexander, he was a good general!

-------------

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 14:35
Thanks a lot for all your informations.........
As I said it is just a new book written, and even I am not sure about it. It is just an idea...
I never said that it is the absolute truth......

Posted By: Degredado
Date Posted: 10-Sep-2004 at 08:05
You people forget that Alexander was a genius. That is an important factor to consider as well.

-------------
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas

Posted By: Miller
Date Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 15:45

When wars were fought on horse back there was no such thing as technological gap and it was possible for the under dog to win a war over the superior power. It has happened many times during the ancient history. The ancient Iranians fought many wars and they won some and lost some. The few that get publicized are usually the the couple of battles lost to the Greeks. Any western movie made or any history book written about Greek/Roman and Iranian wars has a major twist favoring the Greeks. Technically Greece is in Europe and we Europeans like glorify them to satisfy our need for having an ancient history( I think it is some kind of complex). It just sells better. In reality ancient Greeks probably had much more in common with other Mediterranean and middle eastern cultures than with northern Europeans of that time who were living a nomadic life 

Posted By: Evildoer
Date Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 15:24
Indeed. Much of the Greek culture was inherited from the Minoans, who were highly influenced by Egyptians. Also they traded far more with the Middle East than with nomadic Europe which didn't have much to offer.

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 20:45

Ya, i agree. Greece has been influenced by the Middle Eastern and Egyptian cultures more than anything else. Their alphabet is even derived from the Phoenician alphabet.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 03:00

Originally posted by Evildoer

Much of the Greek culture was inherited from the Minoans, who were highly influenced by Egyptians.

If you continue this line of "influences" you'll reach the pithecanthropus of Africa...

When it comes to the Alphabet, the Greek merchants brought the Phoenician alphabet to Greece. It was not able to depict Greek language because of it's lack of vowels. So the Greek added them and the alphabet they created was able (for the first time) to be able to represent phonetically the language that it served. Meaning that if one knew the letters of the alphabet and would follow them in a word he could reproduce the sound of the word even if he did not know Greek.

In the Phoenician alphabet one had to know in advance how the word should be pronounced because it was comprised only of consonants.

In conclusion: everyone is influenced by someone. There's absolutely no "parthenogenesis" anywhere in nature. The question is what do you do with the influences that you receive?

-------------

Posted By: Evildoer
Date Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 18:02

Still, its an influence. I am not saying Greeks "copied" technologies from other civillizations. Merely the roots go back that far. Its like English being influenced by the Norman French.

But its clear that Greece was much more of a Middle Eastern Civillization than a European one. I would even say that even up to the First Crusades the Greeks had quite more in common with Middle East than with the Western Europeans - omitting their common faith in Christianity.

Date Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 22:54

The Persian empire would best be classified as having a highly inefficient milliary system.  99% of the soliders of that empire fell under 3 categories:

1.  Immortals:  very limited numbers(10K), excellent training, but only obeys the emporer. (so if the emporer has no strategic sense, these units, not being organized for independent action, are basically cannon folder)

2.  Mercenaries:  Large numbers(40K), differing levels of training, and completely unreliable.  Mercs are basically worthless, since they can(often do) abandon the field of battle when the going gets rough.

3.  Slave conscripts(300K):  basically the weakest and most expendable serfs that plantation lords can spare.  These guys have almost no military training, and do nothing but waste resources and prevent the well-trained units from fighting effectively.  Additionally, being the weakest and most expendable, they often served as plague vectors, spreading diseases throughout the army and across the empire.

So given these 3 components of the persian army...we can infer that the Persian military, during the time of Alexander, had almost no military value despite it's enormous size.

Posted By: Christscrusader
Date Posted: 01-Dec-2004 at 23:01
Did someone say Alexander never  got to Persopolis? Where is this nonsense coming from? Obviously  a Pro-Iranian author is going to try to back the side of Persians as much as possible, such as with that book.

-------------
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 00:31

This theory sounds kind of similar to how modern large-scale military forces have been structured

Originally posted by xenophon2000

1. Immortals: very limited numbers(10K), excellent training, but only obeys the emporer. (so if the emporer has no strategic sense, these units, not being organized for independent action, are basically cannon folder)

Special forces. In the US they are called Navy SEALS and Army Rangers

2. Mercenaries: Large numbers(40K), differing levels of training, and completely unreliable. Mercs are basically worthless, since they can(often do) abandon the field of battle when the going gets rough.

Volunteers joining the military for pay. I think this is called "All Volunteers Military" around here

3. Slave conscripts(300K): basically the weakest and most expendable serfs that plantation lords can spare. These guys have almost no military training, and do nothing but waste resources and prevent the well-trained units from fighting effectively. Additionally, being the weakest and most expendable, they often served as plague vectors, spreading diseases throughout the army and across the empire.

Ahhh..People forced to join the military regardless of what they want.  As in Draft?  

Posted By: Romano Nero
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 10:38
Originally posted by Evildoer

Still, its an influence. I am not saying Greeks "copied" technologies from other civillizations. Merely the roots go back that far. Its like English being influenced by the Norman French.

But its clear that Greece was much more of a Middle Eastern Civillization than a European one. I would even say that even up to the First Crusades the Greeks had quite more in common with Middle East than with the Western Europeans - omitting their common faith in Christianity.

Now, if there is a presumtuous and completely off mark post on this board, this is the one!

Greece was a middle eastern civilization? that is utterly silly.

What excactly is "Europe" and "Europoean civilization"? I find it hard to believe that you don't know that the word "Europe" is Greek and the Greeks named the continent.

But I digress. There is something today called "West". It is an artificial, more or less, term, more an umbrella term, trying to put a conlomerate of different nations under a common heritage. A heritage that is true, though.

"West" originates from Greece. The individualist, freedom-loving, democratic spirit of ancient Greece is what defines "West" in the first place.

Then come the Romans. They got a good deal of Greek influence to start with and when they took over the world from the Greeks, they re-definied "West", adding a series of other characteristic like industruous and  practical and proceded even further the distinction between "civilized" (="West") and "barbarians"(=non "West").

So, Greeks laid the foundation. Romans buld upon that foundation, expanded and brought the "West" concept in a great area of the world. After them, the various Germanics took over the legacy of Rome, and after a long dark age, created the regeneration of the "Western" spirit with the Renaissance - blossomed in the once center of the Roman world, Italy, and with the aid of the Greeks of their time, the Byzantines - and the consequential movements (mainly Reformation and Enlightment).

So, saying that ancient Greeks are not "European" is like saying Europe is in middle East = rather inaccurate. 

Regarding influences: Human civilization does not "grow" in a vacuum. ALL cultures throughout the ages own to eachother. The matter is, what a culture does with the influence. The Greeks got alot by the middle East but they created a miraculous culture. The Romans got most of their stuff by the Greeks, but created the glorious Roman culture.  See what I am trying to say? No cultures are born in a vacuum, human civilization is a continuity.

Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 11:36

Quote: "ALL cultures throughout the ages own to eachother. The matter is, what a culture does with the influence. The Greeks got alot by the middle East but they created a miraculous culture. The Romans got most of their stuff by the Greeks, but created the glorious Roman culture.  "

Just like how the Germanic were influenced bythe less sophisticated classical culture and developed it to its height and spread world wide.

Seriously though, modern day democracy and freedom has little to do with Greece, it had its roots in the Germanic traditions. In fact Greeks were in certain cases more similar to the middle east than the Germanic people.

Date Posted: 27-Sep-2008 at 10:12
I beg to differ. The invention of the stirrup would have been comparable to the invention of the assault rifle in modern times, imo.

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 27-Sep-2008 at 23:06
You ask an interesting question, Khan, one which has been answered by many scholars already. Pick up any book on Alexander or the Persian empire. What is truly baffling however is how Alexander still manages to hurt egos even today.

-------------

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 02:46
One must also take into consideration that Philip The Great had reformed his military in such a way, that it was one which had never before been seen neither by Greeks or Persians. Before Philip's reign, the Macedonian army was composed of the nobility as calvary, and inexperianced peasant levies as infantry. So upon ascending the throne, he decided to train the infantry in a new theory of warfare. Instead of relying on peasant levies, Philip created a standing army, and fielded the infantry with lighter armor, and innovative weaponry, consisting of cornel wood pikes, and siege equipment. He also utilized the goldmines within his realm which enabled him to make it a requirement for every single able bodied male, to serve in the army as they were paid well.

Now if i was an enemy ruler, i wouldve at least taken note of what Philip was doing, and tried to match him by reforming my own armies. That way, i wouldve had a chance at defeating them. However, in Philip's case, neither Greece or Persia felt the need to do so, which is why both Greece and Persia were eventually conquered by both him and his son.

-------------
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.

Posted By: Asawar Hazaraspa
Date Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 11:59

As we know that horsed units such as cavalry played a significant role in the military culture of early Iranics, Achamenids were no exception but as we understood of the accounts of battles such as Guagamala as an example of the late Achaemenid, apart from the nature of a disorderly army composed of mercenaries, although cavalry were important, we see no brilliance as from the part of the cavalry. Comparing this with the quoted cavalry brilliance of the Parthians and Sassanids in many Roman accounts we can conclude that Achaemenids didn't pay heed to this matter like Parthians for instance. Another mysterious point is the defeat of the Darius I at hands of Scythians, this also to some extent shows that Scythians were superior in terms of employing cavalry and Achaemenids somehow receded from this old Iranian tradition of warmongering. (also considering the fact that one of the main reasons of their defeat was fighting in the enemy's ground far away from supplies and home). 

The importance of this is despite Macedo-Greek warfare development which was a substantial factor in defeating Achaemenids, Phalanx regiments actually faced major problems fighting Parni (Parthian) and Scythian cavalry especially their horse-archers, whose fighting style was more Iranian than Achaemenids, the thing which led in the overthrowing of the two Macedo-Greek Kingdoms in eatern lands of Alexander's empire (i.e. Seleucid empire and the powerful Greek Bactrian kingdom). 

Posted By: Ardashir
Date Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 13:48
I think the internal fightings and rivalries between various Perso-Median officers, princes, etc played a vital role in the defeat of the Achamaneids.  Also it should be noted that Philip's new military tactics (phalanx) were really important. Actually the Macedonians defeated the Greeks and occupied Greece before their victories over the Persians. Thus I would say, Macedonian military was superior to both Greek and Persian military. Don't forget that in the early battles of Alex, there were more Greek mercenaries on Darius' army then on Macedonain's army.

Regards

-------------
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com

Posted By: Count Belisarius
Date Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 16:47
Another thing to keep in mind is that Alexanders men were trained in pankration

-------------

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Date Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 20:01
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Another thing to keep in mind is that Alexanders men were trained in pankration

I'm not aware of that. Any sources?

Even if they were, how would that help them in battle?

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 00:50
Here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration

It would help a lot in battle do you think they just swung their weapons at each other? you win a lot faster if you get in close punch the guy, throw him down and then stab him and on the lightly armored persians it would be devestating  

-------------

Posted By: Darius of Parsa
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 01:27

Here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration

It would help a lot in battle do you think they just swung their weapons at each other? you win a lot faster if you get in close punch the guy, throw him down and then stab him and on the lightly armored persians it would be devestating  

And lightly armoured men are much more mobile and respond to attacks more easily.

-------------
What is the officer problem?

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 01:27

Here you go

And lightly armoured men are more mobile and respond to attacks more easily.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 01:36
But if you can't get through the phalangites armor (one of the greeks biggest advantages) there's no point, besides the persians didn't have pankration

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 01:37
Yeah but you can't get through the greeks armor, which was one of the greeks biggest advantages, and the persiand didn't have pankration 

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 01:40
yeah but you can't get through the greeks armor which was one of the greeks biggest advantages, and the persians didn't have pankration

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 02:33
Lighter armoured men can defeat heavily armoured men. Take a look at the crusades for an example. The lighter armoured Muslim cavalry and infantry defeated many heavily armoured crusaders. There are numerous instances where the lighter Persian army defeated heavier Greek troops. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 02:59
Yes I know that however there are also a lot of instances where the heavily armored man won like Alexanders men light troops and samurai are not the be all and end all of armies

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 03:04

Yes I know that however there are also a lot of instances where the heavily armored man won like Alexanders men light troops and samurai are not the be all and end all of armies

Heavy, medium, and light armour all has its advantages and disadvantages, but I would not say the Greeks had an advantage because they had heavy armour.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 03:08
Confused Read about thermopylae, read about the pelopenniasian wars, read about every conflict between the greeks and persians

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 03:14
I have, in fact this is one of my strongest areas, along with the conquests of Cyrus, Cambyses, and Darius.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 03:17
Those were cool timesSmile dangerous as all get out but cool none the lessSmile

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 03:20
Certainly interesting, as with all eras of history. 

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 03:26
Originally posted by TJK

There were many reasons.. 
Starting from the end of  persian-greek war in the beginnig of V centaury BC, Greeks have recognized their miltary system is superior to the Persian..this was confirmed during the civil wars in Persia - especially during the Cyrus the Younger expedition. Greek military supriopriority was still not enough to conquer the whole Persian Empire when the greeks was not united..It was also well known in Persopolis.. thus the principle of Persian rulers politics was to not admit that the single Greek state will have the dominat position..this politics works well in V and in first half of IV cenatury. This was however ruined when the two brillant successive figures have occured in near Greece area. Macedonian king Philip II have introduced the revolutionary changes to the art of warfare and due to its impementation have subordinated the whole Greece. Philip's son - Alexander have developed his fahter's ideas as well in wafare as in ambitions.

Thus the main reasons were:
  • the genius of greek/macedonians leaders
  • the  supriority of greek/macedonian warfare
  • decentalization of Persian Empire 

You cannot pin Greek and Persian tactics against each other because there are too many differences.

-------------

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2008 at 15:56
Guys don't turn this thread into another two man historical amusement show!

-------------

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 22:04
Originally posted by jamshidi_f

here you are Khan.Its the Persian perspective of Alex-Persia wars Tongue

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Posted By: Turenne
Date Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 14:47

To my mind, it was all a matter of superior military doctrin for the greeks, and the inner decay of the Persian empire.

-------------

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I attack."

Ferdinand Foch

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 15:29
Originally posted by Turenne

To my mind, it was all a matter of superior military doctrin for the greeks, and the inner decay of the Persian empire.

The Greeks did not have a superior way of going about military matters.

-------------

Posted By: Asawar Hazaraspa
Date Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 19:20

Actually from the military point of view it is true that Macedonian army of Alexander was a formidable force but one shouldn't forget that military prowess expected from the Persians was not the same as the early Achamenians. But this militray prowess rendered unsuccssful when the powerful Greek kingdom of Bactria despite of resistence ceased to exist in front battle style of the Iranian and Yuezi horsemen.

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 19:47
True, let's not forget that the main Greek fighting force (at least in the early stages) that of the heavy infantry (hoplites) was a result of social-economic development and suitable for the rugged Greek terrain. Not for the steppes of central Asia.

Alexander (and of course his father Philip) developed a combined arms doctrine, using light infantry (lessons learned from Iphicrates), psiloi, light and heavy cavalry and of course their famous Macedonian phalanx. This worked much better and was more flexible than the traditional Greek phalanx.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 00:26
Originally posted by Asawar Hazaraspa

Actually from the military point of view it is true that Macedonian army of Alexander was a formidable force but one shouldn't forget that military prowess expected from the Persians was not the same as the early Achamenians. But this militray prowess rendered unsuccssful when the powerful Greek kingdom of Bactria despite of resistence ceased to exist in front battle style of the Iranian and Yuezi horsemen.

Xerxes did not use unconventional warfare. He wanted to glorify himself as a great king of the Achaemenids. Cyrus the Great excelled at using unconventional tactics when fighting against other Middle Eastern Kingdoms. A swift cavalry raid through mainland Greece could have won the war. But there is no glory in doing so. Instead Xerxes used numbers as his force multiplier. Each way of doing warfare is different but not "better" by any means.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 08:03
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

A swift cavalry raid through mainland Greece could have won the war. 

There's absolutely no way for cavalry to operate effectively in Greece. Please check a geographical atlas of Greece and note the terrain.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 15:16
The raiding party would not partake in any battles. They would just burn crops and set aflame farms. It is entirely possible for a raiding battalion of horsemen to win the war by just doing so. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 18:51
Darius, your analysis is very inadequate. One cannot conquer without securing bases of resupply, that is cities and ports. Cavalry cannot breach city walls. Cavalry cannot simply live of the land. They need supplies, food, weapons, clothes etc. to sustain themselves.
In any case, cavalry is not an option without infantry and navy. Otherwise they will be destroyed once they encounter heavy infantry and -trust me- at some point they would.

-------------

Posted By: capcartoonist
Date Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 08:49
The factors contributing to Alexander's success would be:

1.  Possession of the best heavy infantry available (Macedonian hoplites)
2.  Combined arms tactics
3.  Darius' yellow streak

Gaugamela was a close thing -- the Persians were trashing the Macedonian left wing, but Alexander pressed home his attack on the right.  As soon as the Macedonians got close to Darius, the Great King turned and fled.  And what's good for the king is good for the rest of the army.  If Darius had pulled back a short distance and thrown his ten thousand Immortals around his position he might have won the day.

-------------
Cap

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2008 at 15:45
The greeks had no problem with the immortals

-------------

Posted By: Nickmard
Date Posted: 17-Apr-2009 at 14:28
It looks like people have not added to this thread for some time...

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents worth..
I have Persian heritage, but also respect and admire the Greeks as they both respected each other. At the time of Alexander the respect between these two great Civilizations was emense and the recent tit for tat between these two parties is a result of modern Politics.
The whole concept of the wonderful western greek democratic freedom fighters defeating the evil eastern slave mongering despots is 100% rubbish.

In my opinion the Persian Empire was defeated by Alexander because of these two main reasons:
1. The Macedonians had a superior professional army with competant able Commanders
2. The Persian empire was in decay and had a weak King/Emperor (Darius III)

When studying and discussing History we need to be un-biased and professional. The Persians were beaten, fair and square (anybody who debates this is delusional) . But it was not the end of the story for the Persians, they came back again and again.

The Greek influence on the Post Achemenid Iranian dyansties has to be noted. The Parthians and Sassanians owed alot to the greeks.

P.S . Can people stop refering to the Achaemenids as slave mongers, as they had no slaves. Workers were paid for work and soldiers also. Please dont forget that Greece was built on slavery, not the other way around.

Respect to Hellas, respect to Persia.

-------------

Posted By: Darius K of Kings
Date Posted: 06-Aug-2009 at 13:14
Well said Nickmard.

It goes like this -
To be sure. Truth can never be hidden nor could be overthrown by any form of luid thoughts or books or ides. Neither it can have any Convoluted ideas to hide the essence of Truth. The fact is that "A True History can never be obliterated by ignorance or by insanity of any type whatsoever".

Partiality can be practised at home but (every home is not my home). Your home can be limited to some degree or domains, but for Persians - Our Home is this whole Universe. (Freedom to Reality, Freedom to Truth, Freedom to people, Freedom of Speech, etc, etc and the list goes on) Last but not the least:- Freedom of Choice. This is the True History of Iran and with documented facts. History of Iran can never be deleated by any Phillip , nor Alexander nor any XYZ... It has been written and will be there for genrations and generations. No one with sain mind can deny to it either. (Its a saying - some bugs like to be poisoned or stunged,  its not our type to shoo them. Ants come down under our feet unintentionnally, but then guess what; that is there destiny).
An Iranians Desity is there "True spiritual belief in themselves". The pillars build on Truth are much stronger then the Pillars build after any battles won. False freedom practises and false History can and always heve been written by these western medians, which has been witnessed by the True work of many Historians and historical data.  

To be sure of: No vainly edited historical books presented by many present day historians can destroy any form of Truth from the already written Ancient History of the Worlds. If looked upon with opne eyes. 
History itself can reveal the True essence of the "Once Great Empire of the Worlds" ruled under the supervision of  "The Great Persian Emperors of all Times" provided if its looked by a True and a biased mind."  Unfortunately for many; Truth is something every one is intrigued to know about, but does not have the courage to abdicate and try to convience themselves by there contrived and languishing ideas which in reality is; a delusion to themselves. They thrive to scorn from others and want others to belive in them.    

And to understand these words "Once Superpowered The Graet Persian Empire", one has to overcome its own ego first, one has to fight his own evil within himself first in order to overcome himself and achieve his true enlighnment later.  But only with Elite and Pure minds.

Long Live the Truth.
Long Live The True History Of The Persian Empire.
Long Live the King of Kings.
Long Live the True Freedom Fighters in the Human history (documented).

Love to all. Freedom for all.

Posted By: darkhorse08817
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2010 at 05:29
New to the forum, and realize this is an old topic, but hopefully enough time has passed since this thread has lain dormant that enough new members are interested in reviving, or old members interested in rehashing, it.

My take:

1.  The Macedonians had the better general - Alexander was by and large a genius, and had daring to match to match his intellect.  Nothing to indicate that Darius III or his generals were in the same league.

2.  Alexander had better tools to work with.  The Macedonians had a well trained, cohesive, and professional army with very high esprit de corps.  You stick professionals against amateurs/ forced levies or a force composed largely of amateurs/ levies, put them in a pitched battle, and you can assume the professionals will win (with rare exceptions that prove the rule).

-------------
He who dares wins

Posted By: Shield-of-Dardania
Date Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 00:14
Originally posted by Khan

The story of Alexander seems to be something out of a western hollywood movie and i still find it hard to believe how a Macedonian-Greek boy (in his 20s?) could not only challenge but also conquer, defeat0 and control the might of the Persian Empire!

Can someone present the main reasons why the Persians where unable to crush the Greeks, despite having conquered the rest of the known world?

Why Alexander was able to defeat them so decievely despite being at a obvious disadvantage, in terms of troops and resources etc ?

please list them if you can

i would like to hear the Persian side, surely such a catastrophe in nations (or peoples) history must be remembered in every persian house - so how do they tell the story to their children etc? I really want to know the Persian side.
Just my 2 dirham's worth:

I am not a Persian. Not even an Iranian. But I'd like to offer an explanation, based on what I've come across in various diverse material.

Alexander, unlike what's usually portrayed in Hollywood movies, wasn't such an outstanding man, physically. An Achilles he was not, definitely, even if Alexander was said to have sometimes claimed descent from Achilles.

But he had an extraordinary level of motivation, energy, enthusiasm and leadership. As well as a limitless, insatiable hunger for success and glory. In that sense, on the other hand, he might have been a lot like Achilles.

Alexander was a young king helming a rapidly ascending young kingdom with enormous promise. Darius III Codommanus was an old king, a reluctant one at that, who had to succeed Artaxerxes III Occhus for the sake of administrative continuity, heading an old, worn out empire nearing the tail end of its shelf life.

Add to that the enormous advantage of a hitherto un-counterable new battle strategy, the blood curdling, gut busting, horse stabbing phalanx.

Which man wins? Which realm prevails over the other? I think the answer would be obvious.

It's happened numerous times previously, before the time of Alexander and Darius III Codommanus.

It's happened again numerous times after them. Seljuks conquering the Abbasids, then defeating the Byzantines at Manzikert. Ottomans delivering the death knell to Byzantium at Constantinople.

Etc., etc., etc.

-------------
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.

Date Posted: 30-Mar-2010 at 00:43
Having said that, it wasn't exactly just a walk in the park for Alexander either.

There was someone called Memnon, a Greek mercenary from Rhodes who eventually rose to the rank of supreme commander of the Persian army, after Darius III realised his military genius, albeit a bit late.

Memnon had first proposed to use the Persian navy to attack the Macedonians at home, and to avoid battle in Asia, where they ought to destroy all crops, horse feed and towns. This would force Alexander, who was short of supplies, to return. That was before he managed to work his way far enough up the ranks. Memnon's proposal was probably the best idea, but the other senior commanders agreed that it was better to fight a full-frontal fight.

Darius III, however, much later, understood that Memnon had been right about his strategy. He ordered the Persian navy to move to the Aegean sea; it had to come from Egypt, Phoenicia and Cyprus, and it arrived three days too late to prevent the capture of Miletus. However, Memnon, now appointed supreme commander, managed to keep the Persian naval base http://www.livius.org/ha-hd/halicarnassus/halicarnassus.html - Halicarnassus (modern Bodrum) for a long time and was able to evacuate the town without unacceptable losses. In fact, Halicarnassus was the last Persian victory: after the siege, Alexander needed reinforcements, and it gave the Persians the opportunity to regroup.

Now, Memnon planned to reconquer the Aegean islands with his Phoenician, Cypriot and Egyptian warships; moreover, he contacted the Spartan king Agis, who was willing to organise an expedition to liberate Greece from Macedonian hegemony. Their ultimate aim was to cut off Alexander's line of supply at the http://www.livius.org/he-hg/hellespont/hellespont.html - Hellespont . Alexander's expedition was now in great danger, and he was unable to march eastward, because he could not run the risk of loosing the entire Greece. Unfortunately for the Persians, but fortunately for Alexander, Memnon died during the siege of Mytilene in August 333.

Darius III subsequently appointed Memnon's brother-in-law http://www.livius.org/pha-phd/pharnabazus/pharnabazus.htm - Pharnabazus (son of Artabazus and brother of Barsine) as Memnon's successor. He was to be very successful, but Alexander was able to move to the east, where he defeated Darius in the http://www.livius.org/io-iz/issus/issus_battle.html - battle of Issus and captured the Phoenician towns. This meant the end of the Persian naval offensive, and, in fact, the end of the http://www.livius.org/aa-ac/achaemenians/achaemenians.html - Achaemenid empire .

Memnon's wife http://www.livius.org/ba-bd/barsine/barsine.htm - Barsine became the mistress of Alexander; in 327, they had a child named Heracles.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2010 at 13:09
Originally posted by Shield-of-Dardania

But he had an extraordinary level of motivation, energy, enthusiasm 

If you go by common sense that probably would have been the biggest factor. Most of the gold in world at that time was in the Persian treasury. That would have been a very big motivating factor not just for Alexander The Great himself but also for all military warriors he recruited, including the Greek soldier and commanders that he added to his military after he defeated Greek city states. Fighting in military was a job for people of that era and the potential payoff would have made very motivated soldiers. 

The question in topic seems to be incorrect. Persian did not lose to Greece, both Persian and Greece lost to Macedonia, Greece was defeated first and Alexander used the military resource of the Greece to defeat Persia. This has been a very common practice through the history and it was how empires expanded and built upon their resources. 

Most likely they did not intend or thought it would possible to conquer the whole empire and their idea was more an like attack on Anatolia but after the easy victories they kept on going and their confidence built up.

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2010 at 13:10

Date Posted: 31-Mar-2010 at 20:57

Another factor, one that perhaps hasn't been mentioned. Greek soldiers were well-versed with the battle tactics and strategies of the Persians. Many of them, or their friends, or their relatives had fought as mercenaries in the Persian army. You could even say that many of them were Memnon-wannabes. They knew by heart the expected behaviour of their opponents, they knew on the back of their hand how and where the Persians would move.

As Sun Tzu said, "Know thy enemy, know thyself. One hundred battles, one hundred victories."

Alexander simply had to exploit the advantages at his disposal to the maximum, and the then imploding Achaemenid empire was his for the taking.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 12:17
That is another good point. Outside agriculture military was the biggest employer of that time period. Mercenaries did not care which side they fought for as long as payoff was attractive, and if they did care it still did not matter since they had to make a living to survive. Peasants did the work then either paid taxes to the empire for protection and cost of military or they were owned outright as slaves of the militant class like in Greece/Sparta 

Posted By: SonOfIran
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 18:26

Another factor, one that perhaps hasn't been mentioned. Greek soldiers were well-versed with the battle tactics and strategies of the Persians. Many of them, or their friends, or their relatives had fought as mercenaries in the Persian army. You could even say that many of them were Memnon-wannabes. They knew by heart the expected behaviour of their opponents, they knew on the back of their hand how and where the Persians would move.

As Sun Tzu said, "Know thy enemy, know thyself. One hundred battles, one hundred victories."

Alexander simply had to exploit the advantages at his disposal to the maximum, and the then imploding Achaemenid empire was his for the taking.

Your claims run contradictory to what happened prior to the Battle of Gaugamela.

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2010 at 23:58

Ok Son, tell us then. We'd like to know. I, for one, besides being a neutral observer, am always eager to learn and share. You didn't read my earlier post about the Persians putting up a tough fight, did you?

-------------

Posted By: SonOfIran
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2010 at 15:33

Ok Son, tell us then. We'd like to know. I, for one, besides being a neutral observer, am always eager to learn and share. You didn't read my earlier post about the Persians putting up a tough fight, did you?

After Darius III realized Alexander had taken the route towards the Tigris, he left Babylon and arrived at central Assyria. Darius III knew the Macedonians would arrive sooner or later, so he looked for a broad battle field for his numerically superior army to form, something that did not happen at Issus. Darius let Alexaner march unhindered, so as to ensure that the Macedonians would not march off to somewhere else. Alexander had done exactly what Darius III wanted him to do. By leaving the fordable stretches of the Euphrates and the Tigris practically unguarded, the Persians had managed to guide the enemy to the battlefield of their choice. Darius was completely in command of the situation and seemed guaranteed of victory. Alexander foolishly fell into Darius's trap.

Prior to the battle, the Persians were highly demoralized due to astronomical signs seen in the sky.

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2010 at 18:06

That's most enlightening, Son. So, Darius III had the bigger army. He even managed to manipulate Alexander to move to a place he wanted, the way he wanted. And he still lost the battle.

Vast lesson to be learnt in there. That is: kings and generals can never, never allow themselves to afford the luxury of succumbing to the unreliablity of superstitious hocus pocus. What always works are strategy, tactics, commitment and solid preparations. As for Luck, the Lady has also been often known to have a soft spot for those with the best strategy, tactics, commitment and preparations. As well as unshakeable self-belief and belief in the might of men, rather than a blind faith in bits of stuff far up in the sky.

Superstition should be only a tool, at best, to be exploited, for the purpose of galvanising the support of the lay people and low ranking soldiers. To expedite the implementation of decisions already firmly made by kings and high ranking generals. Maybe Alexander also had better talent in that aspect, eh?

-------------

Posted By: Hourosh
Date Posted: 07-Aug-2014 at 12:40
I wouldn't say Persia simply lost, In the end even after the war years later Persia regained control of all the territories it had lost, and the Greeks became slaves to Persian money while they were asking Persia for help whenever they fought against each other hell they might have even been in a state where they were clients to Persia . And please don't relate Alexanders conquest,that's another story

Posted By: medenaywe
Date Posted: 07-Aug-2014 at 14:04
Because Alexander's army was inside Persia also!It was religious war similar like crusaders wars.In the same time it was the time of Rulers=Kings.Nations came after capitalism had come all around.

Posted By: Mighty Marduk
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2014 at 11:48
Originally posted by Hourosh

I wouldn't say Persia simply lost, In the end even after the war years later Persia regained control of all the territories it had lost, and the Greeks became slaves to Persian money while they were asking Persia for help whenever they fought against each other hell they might have even been in a state where they were clients to Persia . And please don't relate Alexanders conquest,that's another story

Forgive my ignorance, but I think that you are wrong.

Wheter the Persians regained their stuff afterwards or not is fairly irrelevant to the question if they lost. You win and lose wars by reaching or not reaching the political goals you set out to war for. As far as I know Persia did not manage to reach its goals, the Greeks apparently did, and so the Persians lost the war.

The Greeks were never slaves to Persian money. The thing was that the Persians started to wield influence among the Greeks in a more refined and subtile manner than sending massive armies against them, and the with the warlike advantage of the Greeks compared to the wealth of the Persian Empire this proved to be very effective. At no point was any polis, that I am aware of, give up its independence to Persia.

Posted By: Hourosh
Date Posted: 01-Mar-2015 at 19:28
Originally posted by Mighty Marduk

Originally posted by Hourosh

Forgive my ignorance, but I think that you are wrong.

Wheter the Persians regained their stuff afterwards or not is fairly irrelevant to the question if they lost. You win and lose wars by reaching or not reaching the political goals you set out to war for. As far as I know Persia did not manage to reach its goals, the Greeks apparently did, and so the Persians lost the war.

The Greeks were never slaves to Persian money. The thing was that the Persians started to wield influence among the Greeks in a more refined and subtile manner than sending massive armies against them, and the with the warlike advantage of the Greeks compared to the wealth of the Persian Empire this proved to be very effective. At no point was any polis, that I am aware of, give up its independence to Persia.

Good point, but it seems to me both sides didn't reach their finals goals, Although Greece did gain the upper hand for a while. I just have to settle with the Persians eventually claiming authority over the Greeks in ways that surpassed even Darius and Xerxes.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com