Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Telamon?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Telamon?
    Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 11:07
hey everyone. i was reading a book recently (virtues of war)  about alexander the great and i read of a mercenary general by the name of Telamon in alexanders retinue. i recall also reading a book about the pellopeneseian war and alcibades and i saw that there was a Telamon in there as well. is this the same person? and if not, was Telamon a popular name? they said he was arcadian..

Edited by AlbinoAlien
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 11:31

Being the same person is quite difficult if we take in consideration the age factor.
The Peloponnesian war took place in 431 while Alexander began his empire in 335 by conquering the Thracians. So that would make him almost 100.

I've seen the name again in the crew of the Argonauts and in the Iliad but really don't know if they're the same person. I'd guess not if we were to compare dates.

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 17:00
Telamon also fought in the Trojan wars. That means his career spanned over a thousand years! An enduring fellow.

RomiosArktos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote RomiosArktos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:01
Ajax the Telamonian,or Ajax the son of Telamon fought also in the Trojan war.Maybe you are referring to him.He was famous for his supernatural physical strength.I think however that there were many people with the name Telamon in the ancient times.It is a common ancient Greek name,I am not sure however for its meaning.
One etymology is that the word means the man who carries (something).
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 21:20
Originally posted by VaZeLoS

I've seen the name again in the crew of the Argonauts and in the Iliad but really don't know if they're the same person. I'd guess not if we were to compare dates.

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Telamon also fought in the Trojan wars. That means his career spanned over a thousand years! An enduring fellow.

From wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telamon :

In Greek mythology, Telamon, son of Aeacus, King of Aegina, and Endeis and brother of Peleus, accompanied Jason as one his Argonauts, and was present at the hunt for the Calydonian Boar. He also participated in the Trojan War on the side of the Greeks, along with his son, Ajax.

Personaly I wouldn't bet that Telamon the Argonaut and Telamon the father of Ajax is the same person, but it is possible.
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 05:15
Hardly, since in that time people usually died of old age before reaching 40.
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 10:59
eh but there have always been cases of long lives, such as Socrates

.....or an alien..
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 11:04

Average age was around 40. That means taking the ages of the total population and averaging them. So many people died at e.g. 80 but there were many children dying as well because of bad hygiene and lack of medicine, and that is what dropped the ratio of average life expectancy.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 11:32
ahh i see how this would effect the ratio.. the stong surive long, and the weak die off quickly, giving it th in between life expectrancy of 40!

.....or an alien..
 Post Reply Post Reply