Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fall of Mayan Civilization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fall of Mayan Civilization
    Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 16:01
How did Mayan civilization decline and collapse? What exactly happened?

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 17:19
It's still unknown, there are many theories about it. Climatoligal changes, invaders from outside, internal struggles, exhausting of natural resources...

Anyway, Mayan civilization never completely collapsed. In the 15th century there still were still powerful Mayan city states, Mayapan is the most important of them. The Spanish discovered Yucatan in 1517, and started to conquer the area in 1524. But it took until 1697(!) until the last Mayan city. Tayasal fell. And even then the Mayans weren't completely under Spanish control. There were many uprisings agains Spanish and later Mexican rule. In the 19th century they managed to break away from Mexico and it the Mayan state wasn't completely defeted until 1910.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 03:41
I'm not completely sure but didn't the Chiapan Maya rebel against the Spanish (than Mexian) goverment until the 1990's?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 07:50
In 1994 there was indeed a rebellion in Chiapas. But AFAIK it weren't only Mayans who rebelled. Jalisco Lancer knows more about it.
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 19:47
Very interesting, unknown causes. But how much resources did the Maya use to bring down their own civilization? And, who invaded the Maya?

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 14:01

This site had a pretty cool link explaining how the mayan civilization failed and why it looks like its happening again...

http://www.livescience.com/history/myan_canals_041116.html

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 09:04
There is even a conspiracy theory that UFOs destroyed Mayan Civilization
Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply