Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if China found Mexico first?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if China found Mexico first?
    Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 22:45

I don't get you guys. What do I say it wrong? What political agendas?, or just I miss the point? Why to get irritated?

If you are just playing, I leave and come later.

Pinguin
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 23:31
Originally posted by pinguin

I don't get you guys. What do I say it wrong? What political agendas?, or just I miss the point? Why to get irritated?
If you are just playing, I leave and come later.

Pinguin

No. No.  LOL

1.  red_clay was saying we've gone way off topic.  He was too polite to say that it was really me.  I plead guilty anyway... Embarrassed

2.  The "political agenda accusation" was directed at Voyager by me.  I said so explicitly. No one's pointing that at you.  Confused  BTW, Voyager himself accused Flyingzone of a political agenda.

Originally posted by Voyager

That attitude of your only makes me suspect that you have a political motivation for that. Also, don't play the victim in order to get from the others more sympathy.

3.  Lastly, in my previous post--yes I was playing, but being serious too:  I was explicitly acknowledging that you're probably correct about your assertions on the survival of Native American genes amongst whites.  However, this doesn't not change the fact that MASSIVE genocide did take place.  We're merely arguing over the extent of it.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2007 at 23:56
Originally posted by red clay

I'm going to try and bring this back on topic-

Yes, I think this is a good idea too.

It seems that we keep straying from the topic at hand - the hypothetical of China finding the Americas first.

Did anyone see the discussion TranHungDao and I had on page 7?  It was on topic and quite interesting.  With me not being well-informed on Ming and Chinese technological history, Tran was kind enough to provide some good information.

If anyone would like to build on that discussion, please do.  It is located in the middle of the previous page.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 12-Jun-2007 at 23:57
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2007 at 06:32
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Did anyone see the discussion TranHungDao and I had on page 7?  It was on topic and quite interesting. 

Yes, though I was much responsible for going off-topic Embarrassed, I was on-topic quite a bit too.  Cool

Pinquin was essentially always on-topic.  Our discussion on the extent of the genocide against Native Americans and the Trans-Atlantic slave trade is central to the theme of brutality during the conquest of the Americas by the Europeans.

---------------------------------
Byzantine Emperor,

You know, I think I spoke too soon in saying the Chinese might be less brutal than the Europeans to the people of the New World.  If you look at the colonial and WWII Japanese or even the Japanese of the Imjin War (late 1500's), they were quite brutal.  Indeed, downright bestial in WWII.  The culture is rooted in Chinese culture (Confucianism), just as its traditional technology was.

If we compare the WWII Japanese to the Nazi's, they're about equal.

1.  They both ran diabolical camps for human experimentation with chemical, biological agents and whatnot.  So they are about equal in this respect.

2.  The Nazi's had the concentration camps for Jews, homosexuals, dissidents, eastern Europeans.  The Japanese killed millions in in Manchuria; many other countries literally lost millions due to Japanese brutality due to indiscriminate warfare, outright genocide, famine, diseases due to famine, etc.

3.  Both used rape as a weapon of war.  However, in China, Japanese soliders were known to force sons to rape their mothers and fathers to rape their daughters.  Pretty sick stuff.

4.  (a)  Generally speaking, Japanese soldiers were more medieval than their German counterparts.  They treated their POW's like animals at the slaughter, routinely decapitating them with Samurai swords--this included their Brit and American POW's.  There was an incident where two officers held a contest for who could decapitate the most Chinese men; they lined them up and started choping.  The winner had about 150 decapitations if I recall.  It is not hard to find pics of Japanese WWII attrocities. 

The funny thing is that Brit and American soldiers generally found the Korean conscripts in the Imperial Japanese army to be the most brutal.  They hated the Koreans even more.  This was because of the culture of brutality that existed in the Japanese military training prior to WWII.  Veterans now talk of being kicked and punched several times a day by their trainers, i.e. the Japanese military leadership was intentionally created killing machines.  Koreans were treated even worse than Japanese conscripts, hence they became more violent.

(b) Cannibalism was not uncommon due to the fact that the US demolished Japanese supply lines. Dead  It was bad enough so that an official order was issued which said that any Japanese soldier eating a fellow Japanese soldier would be sentenced to death.  Apparently, it was okay to eat European and American POW's, or the local defeated populations. Confused

This was quite different from how the Japanese treated their POW's in WWI.  Quite a number of German POW's of the Japanese enjoyed their time in Japan and decided to remain there after they were freed.  Thus training, i.e. context, can bring out animalistic behavior.

Of course, Japanese imperialism was a combination of trying too hard to copy the European colonialists and their own then native medieval ways.

The whole point here is that it is definitely within Chinese culture, or rather it's derivatives in Japan and Korea, for things to go monsterously out of control.  The Mongols, who were not sinitic by culture, were perhaps the most brutal regime of all time.

--------------------------

Two more things about the Chinese and that what if scenario:

1.  We can't underestimate that age-old theme of young men going off to war in distant lands:   Things go crazy, real fast!  Such Chinese colonies would be half a world away from the motherland.  The Portugese in Brazil were the poster children for this type of insanity.

2.  What was Chinese technology relative to the Aztecs back in the early 1400's?  Could they have even defeated the Aztecs on their own turf to begin with?  Remember, the Aztecs were fatally fatalistic due to their belief the landing of Hernan Cortes was the return of Quetzalcoatl.  The legend said the conquerors would be white.  Moreover, the conquistadors allied themselves with disgruntled factions of the Aztec empire, otherwise, I'm pretty sure Cortes could not have beaten them.

3.  The Taiping rebellion was the biggest war on the planet until WWI, or even WWII.  I can't recall the actual numbers but it was staggering in its scale and violence.  (But then again, it was a civil war which was in turn ultimately the result of European meddling/colonialism.)

Edited by TranHungDao - 13-Jun-2007 at 06:33
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2007 at 16:14
Originally posted by TranHungDao

...Lastly, in my previous post--yes I was playing, but being serious too:  I was explicitly acknowledging that you're probably correct about your assertions on the survival of Native American genes amongst whites.  However, this doesn't not change the fact that MASSIVE genocide did take place.  We're merely arguing over the extent of it.

Well, just check the genetical imballance between the ratios of Amerindian mtDNA/Y-Cromosomes in the Americas and you'll get a big surprissed and an answer to the genocide. Most of the surviving Amerindians tha integrated to modern population were following the female lines. Most of the people that perished were male Amerindians Angry

That's shows.

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2007 at 16:24
Originally posted by TranHungDao

Pinquin was essentially always on-topic.  Our discussion on the extent of the genocide against Native Americans and the Trans-Atlantic slave trade is central to the theme of brutality during the conquest of the Americas by the Europeans.

Although both topics are important, I think that we should mix them at all because they are of different nature. The conflict between Amerindians and Europeans was one of a people that was invaded and tried to survive under the pressure of a more numerous and barbaric people that robb all the land.  The topic of Trans-Atlantic slave trade was the shameful fact that traders, both in Africa and in the Americas, considered the Native of the jungles of Africa to be a "product" to sale and exploit. Ghana become rich changing those Natives to the Europeans for rum, guns and textiles! England become rich transporting them to the Americas, and the economies of the Caribbean, Brazil and the South of the U.S. depended on the suffering and explotation of people treated like animals to produce cotton, tobacco, rum and  suggar.

These are two different dramas in the Americas, but they are not the only ones through the world. In the Americas there is also the cruelty against the cullie labour, for instance, and many other tragedies we just don't remember.

Just to mention some more in the old world, we shouldn't forget the polgroms against Jews, the persecussion and discrimination of gypsies, the explotation of European children and women during the Industrial revolution, the genocide by famine of the Irish, the servitude of the Russian peasants, and genocides against the Chinese peoples by their own Emperators, etc.

For me, the topic that really matters now is the one of Amerindians and theirs lands. They are after all the only indigineous peoples of the Americas, and these lands were robbed to them.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 13-Jun-2007 at 16:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678