Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Celts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Celts.
    Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 08:26
Originally posted by Socrates

I think Paul was right saying that Anglo-Saxons had some ''special traits'' to offer to indigenous populations-how can u explain that their culture and lang. became dominant?If AS were just a bunch of thugs-why would anyone accept their language:Fear?

Sure.

Obviously domination isn't kept merely by military means (a propaganda branch is also useful, and bribery and odd alliances are always possible). But just look at Mexico or North Africa: places where the native languages and religion have been removed to marginal areas, while the population remains largely native in the genetic plane. Those transformations happened as fast or faster than that of British "Anglization". I see no problem in accepting it.

... Why didn't a part of south slavs accept Avar language( their cruelty was beyond any doubt)

As has been discussed in other topics: Hungarians are (mostly) natives of the Pannonias who probably spoke Slavic languages at some period. Slavs themselves were invaders in the Balcans, anyhow.

... or why don't Chinese speak Mongolian,etc.

The Chinese case is most outstanding, comparable to that of Persia and Romania (Latin/Romance speaking Europe). My guess is that their own solidly stabilished culture, associated to the imperial tools of domination (administration, bueraucracy, scribes, priests) was seductive enough for the invaders who felt a "complex of inferiority" in comparison. The case is that, most  (but not all) "Romans", Persians and Chinese kept their language and partly their culture despite being invaded by barbarians. At least in China and Romania, these barbarians adopted largelly or fully the native imperial tongue along with other imperial cultural traits. That happened too in Persia, I believe.

The diference between Spain and Britain is that most Spaniards spoke Latin (even if a vulgar dialect) and that there was an administration and a liturgy written in that language. The Goths had nothing to compete with that but their military power. Also the Goths themselves had been legitimized as Roman "allies".

Instead in Britain the literacy and the Romanization was surely much smaller. Rome had abandoned the territory to its own forces and the invaders had no mutual recognition with the former legality. They werent even Christians initially...

I think that explains all.

I know-there r cases and cases-strangely, according to u , the IE's were always able to impose their own language and culture-although a very small minority...Since u think they had nothing more to offer than brutal force, that's a ...well- a certain phenomenon in the history...

Brutal force is the state. Of course brutal force has griots or trouvateurs and druids or priests to glorify its wielders. It's not just a matter of mere violence but it is that as well and essentially.

As Engels said: any constitution of the state is a constitution of the army.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 08:39
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by Maju

The first and the second link are unrelated, but the two last ones are relevant.

the first and second links prove quite categorically you can't tell Anglo-Saxon from Britons by analysis of bones and teeth. Something you were denying was possible.

I see nor relation. The first is about Copan, Mexico. The second is about technicalities on wether ancient remains should be reburied or what.  

Yes, Heinrich Harke believes in the Anglo-Saxons as a small military elite similar to the Vikings and Normans. It's an old article, very radical in it's day, refuting the pushed the native population west or genocided them opinion. And backing it up with firm evidence.

It's sparked a lot of research since. And subsequently more and more finds of early Anglo-Saxons and Britons living together and becoming one in a few generations have been uncovered. And as I stated above, Briton towns didn't disapear Anglo-Saxons moved into them and they continued to thrive for centuries.

However since this article other people have put forward different theories for the relationships between the Anglo-Saxons and Britons living together and becoming one. Military elite it one, but also many others such as traders, refugees, immigrants, foriegn artisans and so on. One theory say a mixture of relationships, intially conquest in the east but more a cultural influence later in the west.

Which theory of Anglo-Saxon role you choose to believe is up to you. It's not believing the dumb genicide and replacement theory that's important.

Let's see: I ask you for material to explain/support your thesis and the only rlevant link you give supports mine (the rest are too vague or totally unrelated)... and now you say that I'm chosing it.

You chose it.

One can imagine that a simmilar pattern could well apply to Celtic invasions.

True if the Celts came that would be one way. There could be others too.

But unlike with the Anglo-Saxons the evidence they came at all isn't that solid.

If they didn't come, how is it that Irish and Welsh speak Celtic. Shouldn't they speak Basque or Tartessian or some other pre-IE language?

Also you need to be more specific who the Celts are. The La Tene Culture travelling from Switzerland to Britain, the Gauls, the La Tene culture conquering the Gauls then leading the Gauls to Britain. The Spanish. The La Tene culture conquering the Spanish then leading them to Britain. So many options and 'celt' such a non-specific term to describe such a specific event.

Celts are speakers of Celtic languages. That's clear enough. La Tne is 100% Celtic (that's prety clear) but there are Celts without La Tne (Iberian Celts, for instance, whose last Celtic continental influence was Hallstatt).

There is no La Tne in Iberia: the Celts of Iberia arrived with Urnifields and early Hallstatt but were cut from the continent by Greek and Iberian expansion and remained isolated from other Celts later on. They never adopted druidism (Vacceans are dubbed as atheists by Pliny, for instance)  nor experienced La Tne. Instead they suffered, like their Iberian neighbours and rivals, the strong influence of Phoenicians. Though Iberians seemed more apt than Celts to adopt civilized manners.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 10:03

As Engels said: any constitution of the state is a constitution of the army.

As Marx said(my translation from serbian):The evil is not within  men, it comes from the private property......funny how all evils come from outside for communists...i guess Buddha, Lao-Tsu and Jesus were on the wrong trail all along...if it was up to Marx, Freud and Jung would never accomplish anything- after all, men r not evil by nature-they r corrupted with private property-what I can't understand is how-if they r not prosponed(sp) for it .

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 11:47

the first and second links prove quite categorically you can't tell Anglo-Saxon from Britons by analysis of bones and teeth. Something you were denying was possible.

This sentence makes no logical sense.

I see nor relation. The first is about Copan, Mexico. The second is about technicalities on wether ancient remains should be reburied or what.  

No it's about telling where people where spent their younger years based upon teeth and bone analysis.

Let's see: I ask you for material to explain/support your thesis and the only rlevant link you give supports mine (the rest are too vague or totally unrelated)... and now you say that I'm chosing it.

You chose it.

Number one I never proposed a thesis, I simply reported to you what most modern archaeologists believe and then showed you an article from a highly respected and mainstream archaeology publication that's quite clearly shows this view.

Number two I never said you chose that the article I chose. You must clean your glasses more often.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 12:39

Celts are speakers of Celtic languages. That's clear enough. 

So Germans are speakers of Germanic languages. Wow! That makes Zimbabweans German, and Singaporeans, Jamacans too, Brunei to the Seychelles. Widely spread people these Germans

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Turkish Soul View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Turkish Soul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 17:51

Originally posted by Turkish Soul

I was talking about ancient Celts

Do you already have enough? What do you need exactly?

I coould not find enough enformation about Celts in Turkish web sites.I will translate them information you gave all.My english is in the stage of upper intermiddiate.So somteimes I got problems. After I translate them into Turkish I will ask you some questions about Celts?I got some information about them but was not enough.

dardanos
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 20:43
Originally posted by Paul

Celts are speakers of Celtic languages. That's clear enough. 

So Germans are speakers of Germanic languages. Wow! That makes Zimbabweans German, and Singaporeans, Jamacans too, Brunei to the Seychelles. Widely spread people these Germans

Well, Zimbabweans usually speak Shona and Ndbele (Sindebele) so far. English is so far just like Latin was in Poland or Hungary in the High Middle Ages: an official administrative tongue and lingua franca for inter-ethnic relations. Singapore is Chinese and Malayan, Brunei is exclussively Malayan.

Jamaican is English though, that's clear enough, isn't it? We don't usually call English German but Germanic, reserving German for a sepecific group of Germanic-speaking people - but with that little common-use correction, I do agree that "Jamaicans are German(-ic)".

Anyhow, such massive colonization as which happened in America or Australia in the last centuries, is not likely to have happened but very locally in other periods. A good example of this case could be the Orkney and Shetland islands, which seem very much Norwegian genetically (though not 100% - maybe about 50%).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 20:51

I was talking about ancient Celts

Do you already have enough? What do you need exactly?

I coould not find enough enformation about Celts in Turkish web sites.I will translate them information you gave all.My english is in the stage of upper intermiddiate.So somteimes I got problems. After I translate them into Turkish I will ask you some questions about Celts?I got some information about them but was not enough.

Fine. Ask your specific doubts.

Celts are also in the background of Turkey. As you may know a group of them was enlisted as mercenaries by some Hellenistc king who gave them the province that was to be known as Galatia, with capital in Ancyra, modern Ankara. That was their easternmost outpost anyhow.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
reddrabs View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote reddrabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 11:54
Sorry to butt into a quarrel.

What do any of you mean by "Celt" - I have never seen any proof of Celtic languages beyond "this is different and olde, it is where Celts live [no definition of Celt beyond 'these are Celts!'}
so I find it difficult to accept linguistics as location of a people!

The term was used by Caesar for extremely polemic and political reasons - we must treat all his evidence with care.

Academic evidence for the British Isles
shows
-evidence of exchange of goods from the European mainland right back to Mesolithic times,
-little evidence of invasion and large-scale migration since that period!
-that copying a pot or design might mean that that pot or design is important but usually does not indicate more than that (I am wearing jeans as I type but am not American),
-being "Celtic" is important to groups in north-west Europe which really makes the water murky.

Once we get discussions on druids, I always ask for sources and, once I've crossed out Welsh and Irish tales, I find little. I do not trust these tales as literary truth!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 13:30
Evidence in the British islands shows tribes and what you could call nations/proto-nations speaking Celtic (Gaelic) languages in Great Britain, Little Britain (Brittany) and Ireland. We also have scarce Celtiberian (and even Lusitanian) inscriptions. We have a corpus of Latin "naturalists" (geographers and historians mostly) that mention detailedly dozens of tribes, calling them Galli and Galati (Gauls, Celts) and we see them using Gaul (the Latin name) and Celt (the Greek loanword) indistinctly. Call them Gauls or Gaelic if you prefer.

Do Gaelics exist? Well, Celts are (were) Gaelics by a different name.

Regarding the mythification of Celts in Britain and France specially, I agree that is much of a nationalist discourse. Also the lack of a name for the worse known pre-celtic peoples that raised Stonehenge and Karnac, among many other less spectacular monuments, favors a tendency to attribute all that eroneously to "the Celts", who serve as a generic anchor to the illiterate ill-known past.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
edgewaters View Drop Down
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by reddrabs

Sorry to butt into a quarrel.

What do any of you mean by "Celt" - I have never seen any proof of Celtic languages beyond "this is different and olde, it is where Celts live [no definition of Celt beyond 'these are Celts!'} so I find it difficult to accept linguistics as location of a people!

The best evidence, of course, is the material culture. But we do have evidence of the language elsewhere. There are surviving fragments of Lepontic - the language of Cisalpine Gaul - written in a post-Etruscan alphabet, scattered fragments and references to the Galatian language, and pockets of other continental Celtic languages which persisted to the present day, eg Breton.

Still, Celts are mostly recognized as non-ethnic non-political grouping based primarily on material culture.

The term was used by Caesar for extremely polemic and political reasons - we must treat all his evidence with care.

True, but there was a culture which shared many traditions and features. It all depends on your definition of a "people". Are the Mayans a "people"? No more than the Celts - they are a collection of different ethnicities and dozens of languages who were never politically united, but we group them up for the reason that all those groups share a common culture. Same thing could be said about alot of different groups of the ancient world.

Academic evidence for the British Isles

Interestingly, neither Caesar nor any other Roman writer ever referred to the Britons as "Celts". They were always named Brittanii, the name thought to be derived from Pythias' accounts of encountering a race in the general area which he named the Prettanii.

-little evidence of invasion and large-scale migration since that period!

Well, aside from intriguing mythological traditions (such as those contained in the Irish Book of Invasions) there is some material evidence for the movement of people across the Channel - in both directions. Northern France, Britain, and the Netherlands appear to have been very intimately connected.

Once we get discussions on druids, I always ask for sources

Druids are mentioned in numerous Classical works. It is indicated that Druids are primarily a feature of the Britons, not the "Celts" (remember that the Romans distinguished between the two), although the druids were seemingly extending their sway across the area of Britonnic influence (eg, into Northern France and Belgium). The Romans do not mention the Druids as merely a religious sect - rather, they appear to have been administrators and enforcers of law, not very much unlike religious authorities in Judea.

Caesar is the chief source, but Posidonius writes of druids in Gaul in the 2nd century BC, they are mentioned by Pliny the Elder in his Natural History, Tacitus writes of them, etc. One thing that is also interesting to keep in mind is that Pytheas - who, if he went there, would have been in Britain much earlier, in the 4th century BC - may not have mentioned them. We don't have a copy of any of Pytheas' works, but they are referred to by other authors - none of whom mention anything about druids among the Prettanni.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12