Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pronoun, Antigrammarian

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pronoun, Antigrammarian
    Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 20:00

I got into a discussion the other day over an incorrect statement I made along the lines of these statements. (Note: I didn't use these specific examples)

1. Everyone came to our office party and brought their favorite dessert.

2. Each employee has to sign their annual evaluation and return it by December 31.

3. Someone forgot to lock the front door last night when they left the building.

4. Anyone who has worked for the company for at least six months is eligible for retirement benefits, but they have to complete the appropriate forms.

First I ask, who of you initially finds these statements to be correct?

If you do your wrong, but why?

The antecedents ("everyone," "each," "someone," and "anyone") are indefinite pronouns, so called because they do not refer to a specific person, place, or thing. All of these indefinite pronouns are singular. Not only must we use a singular verb with them, but we must also refer to them with singular personal pronouns. Thus, one way to correct the sentences above is to replace the plural personal pronouns with their singular counterparts:

In order for the sentences to be correct you either a. have to remove the personal pronouns or b. replace they with "he or she".

I personally find this hideous to hear so I don't honestly see anything wrong with going against acceptable grammar and creating a new use for "them" as a third person neutral gender pronoun. I mean this trend has been trying to break into "accepted" english for the past 400 years.

Others are against this and want to create an entirely new word (doesn't the english language have enough words all ready!) They want to use the words ne, nis, ner, nemself. WTF?!?! That's better than using they? I don't think so.

I was just wondering what each of our opinions were on this subject and what do they think should be done?

Sources: http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/121101.htm

http://www.lippart.com/ne.html

Edited by JanusRook
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2004 at 20:18
Well, to me it makes sense.

Everyone would need a singular pronoun because it refers to one and only one person.

Each makes sense because 'each' singles out the subject, therefore it has to be a singular pronoun.

Someone would need a singular pronoun for the same reason that 'everyone' does.

Anyone also.

I think it's fine the way it is...  But probably because it took me so long to learn it in the first place, that I don't want to relearn it .  But I don't like the idea of using 'ne', it would seem like a foreign addition to the english language.  So I don't think that anything needs to be done, I just think that people need to realize that singular pronouns go with words such as these.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
 Post Reply Post Reply