Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Legacy of Khans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kscott View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legacy of Khans
    Posted: 14-Feb-2006 at 14:36
It began with Temujin. A young boy, who had virtually no chance in the world. He went from being a mere slave, to being the greatest conquer the world has ever seen. Despite always being outnumbered he was able to win repeatedly. More importantly he knew how to learn and adapt his startegies accordingly. Not exlcusivly a warlord, Genghis was an excellent administrator. Laws that would have bearing on all, were drafted, and a great prosperity was fekt throughout the empire. We see the first "pony" express, and possibly the greatest mixing of cultures the world had ever seen. Ghengis's accomplishments are stunning, however, I find very intresting the impact his succesors would have on world history.

It is uncertian if Timur was an actual descendant of Genghis, but it is possible. Genghis was a very productive man, and studies of Timur's body have shown his distinctive Mongolian features. Certianly, Timur used his claim to the throne of Genghis as away to gain legitimacy. Many Parrals can be made between Timur and Genghis. Both ended up killing their best friends in their rise to power, and both started in humble conditions. Timur's father was the head of his the Barlas tribe, howeve Timur was not the first in line of succesion. However, after many succesful military campaigns and the succesful murder of his enemy Tughluk Timur, he was appointed head of his tribe. Timur went on to conquer much, and greatly expanded his realms. Two distint diffirence can be made between the two men however. Firstly, Genghis was a Khan who worshipped the eternal Blue Sky. Timur was a devout muslim, who styled himself and Amir. Furthermore, where Genghis was a succesful adminitrator, Timur was found lacking. He often had to reconquer places that had revolted. By utterly defeating the ottoman Bayezid I, Timur has proven to history the true amount of his skill. With intent to reconquer the Mongolian Empire, Timur made his way to wage war with the Ming. However, before getting the chance to fufill his dreams, Timur died of a fever. His legacy however, remained.

The final chapter in the wake of Genghis, is Babur, the founder of the Mughal(Mongolian in Persian) Empire. Descended from Timur on his fahter's side, Genghis on his mothers, Babur is rahter different from his ancestors. Being the eldest he inherited Fergana. However, inheriting the throne at only 11, he was forced into exile from his uncles.Young Babur's first conquest was Samarkand, however shortly after the victory he lost his home land of Fergana. He regained Fergana, only to lose Samarkand to the Khan of the Uzbeks. Still determind he raised an army for three years and crossed the Hindu Kush to conquer Kabul. Losing his homelands to the Uzbeks, he continued to consolidate power in India. He would meet a formidable emenmy in Sanga, but he was able to beat him by gaining the loyalty of Sanga's own general. Babur spent the rest of his life managing his empire. Babur experienced many defeats, however he had an amazing ability to bounce back from them. Surely his greatest atribute can be said to be his sheer determination.
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2006 at 06:19
The final chapter might be the direct descendants of Temuljin who still ruled Moghuliustan in the 1670's, or the banner commanders in Outer and Inner Mongolia,  in the Ming Empire in the 1650's all of whom were descendants of Temuljin or his brothers.
rgds.

Tom..
cliveersknell View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote cliveersknell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 00:13
I think the greatest legacy of Chinggis is
the Kangxi's grandma Empress Xiaogang,
she is a Horcin, whose roots are from Chinggis' brother
Khasar. Without this strong and wise woman, the Qing
empire would have folded up faster.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 05:32

Then she is not Chingis Khan's  but Khasar's legacy   

Akskl View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Akskl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2006 at 22:47
Genghis-Khanites are only descendants of Genghis Khan's four sons - Joshy, Shaghatay, Ukitay and Tole - from his elder wife Borte.
Qazar's descendants are not Genghis-Khanites.
Great Moghuls, Moghulistan and Genghis Khan's "Mongols" were Turkic speakers, and as so, they never  were related to modern Khalkha-Mongols, Buryat-Mongols, Kalmucks or their ancestors.

Edited by Akskl
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2006 at 07:31
Originally posted by Akskl

Genghis-Khanites are only descendants of Genghis Khan's four sons - Joshy, Shaghatay, Ukitay and Tole - from his elder wife Borte.
Qazar's descendants are not Genghis-Khanites.

Very true..

The usage throughout the 13th-17th C was that direct descendants of temuljin could be Khans, direct descendants of his brothers couldn't be khans but were, otherwise, treated as full members of the 'royal family'.

Great Moghuls, Moghulistan and Genghis Khan's "Mongols" were Turkic speakers, and as so, they never  were related to modern Khalkha-Mongols, Buryat-Mongols, Kalmucks or their ancestors.

Never is a bit strong...  The ruling family was Chinggissid till the end and official documents were in Mongolian, but the people had throughly converted to Turkic culture.
rgds.

Tom..
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 14:35
Interesting topic wish to see some pictures of those names too.

shurite7 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote shurite7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 22:51

[QUOTE=Kscott]It began with Temujin. A young boy, who had virtually no chance in the world. He went from being a mere slave, to being the greatest conquer the world has ever seen.

I dont' have my resources in front of me, but when was Temujin a "slave?.  From what I remember he wasn't.  However, after killing his older half brother he was captured and taken prisoner.

Cheers

Chris
Arjun View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Arjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 16:34

Which area exactly was called Mughalistan? Mughals are known very well  for their Indian empire but i would like to know which central asian population has the maximum moghul ( or Chughtai Turk) blood.

From the desert lands of Rajasthan
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 18:56
Originally posted by Arjun

Which area exactly was called Mughalistan? Mughals are known very well  for their Indian empire but i would like to know which central asian population has the maximum moghul ( or Chughtai Turk) blood.

northern parts of India, current afghanistan pakistan and uzbekistan.

Much probably the Central Asian Turkic country's (kazakhistan, uzbekistan, turkmenistan, etc).

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 07:27
Originally posted by Arjun

Mughalistan was the SW part of the Chaghtai lands.

Bounded by the Tien Shan mtns in the South, Altay mtns in the East, Aral Sea in the West.    Roughly the Eastern half of modern Kazakhstan, bits of NW China and Kyrgyzstan.

I wouldn't think it's worth chasing blood lines,  though.
rgds.

Tom..
Arjun View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Arjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 09:52
That's great Tadamson , i was exactly looking for this information. In his  famous turkish book "Babarnama" ( i recently read the Hindi translation) Babur refers to Moghulistan at times.  He also writes about his maternal relatives in Kashgar (chinese turkistan), so i was curious to know.
From the desert lands of Rajasthan
 Post Reply Post Reply