Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5 Greatest British Leaders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 5 Greatest British Leaders
    Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 20:52
I see gordon brown hasnt made the cut yet.

Im only going to pick three leaders, one king, one PM, and one other,

Edward 1 longshanks (well i would)

misses T

and Lennon
long live the king of bhutan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 07:45
Longshanks; the Scots will kill you. (and not British to boot).
Ditto, the milk snatcher.

Lennon! Please, Diana woud have been better.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 07:47
Heres what Britons themselves think. I mean Diana greater than the man who beat Napoleon? SIgh

longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 08:24

sparten, Edward 1 is poorly and unfairly represented, braveheart is much to blame.

Misses T did what was needed, a doctor who refuses to give medicine just because it tastes bad is not a good doctor, we were on the edge of oblivion until she showed up.

substute diana for lennon, not on your nelly, in the list of british casualties on french soil, she wouldnt make my top 100

As for the wiki list, i agree, i love football, but no amount of kicking a bag of air around a feild should qualify a man for that list.

Im more ashamed for our nation by that list than the war in iraq, and that is saying something.
long live the king of bhutan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 13:42
1. Thatcher - restored the economy when it was on the brink of collapse (IMF loan) "like it or not we are all thatchers children"
2. Churchill, real symbol for the people lead in the most trying of circumstances, popular
3. Henry VII - iconic even today - kept england safe amoung the powerhouses of Franch Spain HRE - changed england for the better with reformation (no more subservicne to foregin power)
4. Elizabeth- kept england safe amoung the powerhouses of Franch Spain HRE, economy prospered, braught properity to england after the turbluent and often extrist reign of Edward and Marry
5 Beverage- archietect of welfare state, (although not strictly a leader i cannot put attle as I disagree with other things he did)

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 14:39
Originally posted by 02bburco

5 Beverage- archietect of welfare state, (although not strictly a leader i cannot put attle as I disagree with other things he did)

A  better reason for not putting Attlee in this context, is that the Beveridge plan was worked out by a Liberal (Beveridge) commissioned by a Coalition government with a Conservative majority, and essentially basing his work on another Liberal, Keynes. It's happenstance that eventually it was a Labour government that was in power when the recommendations were put into effect.

An interesting choice, though.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2008 at 09:30
dooh should have throught of that as I do A2 Politics brain in summer holiday mode though 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123