Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rwanda

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What should the UN have done in Rwanda in 1994?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [27.27%]
2 [18.18%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [54.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rwanda
    Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 20:36

What do you think should have been done in Rwanda during the genocide?

I personally don't really care what happened and I think it was a mistake for any country to send any troops to deal with that indigenous problem when it was not in their national interest to do so.

Member of IAEA
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 20:56
Genghis, national interest?  People were dying!  It is wrong to send troops if you are only there for personal benefit.  But if helpless people are dying, you have every right to go to their aid, especially if they ask for it.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Shifty Russian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 00:08

I guess it depends on what side of the bed you wake up on.

Esp. for an America - if the US were to fight the Hutu extremists, then there'd be more protests - and misc. politcal garbage to deal with. In the Vietnam war - there was a vested interest in the US being there... but a political back lashing arrised.

Thus if the US were to go, even though there is no obvious interest (other then maybe to seem like Mr. Nice Guys/Girls) - could even cause more of a political back lashing... unless that is, the people wake on the right side of the bed.

I told my friend the other day - that 14% (2million people) of the Vietnamese population died in vietnam - something like 40 people per one US death. (i can't be to sure on the exact stats) - but basically he replied - "it's not as if they lost 2 milion Eisteins". And it's the same case here - but even to a lesser degree in that - There seems to be no point for many people to go in there. It's sad of course that so many people died... But ask your self this...

Would you like to go there and put YOUR LIFE on the line for a cause - that ultimately benefits you in NO way?

I wouldn't

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 01:48
I put they should not have been involved at all, but I mean that the imperialists who began the whole ethnic warfare between both peoples shouldn't have been involved at all. From what I've read the Hutu and the Tutsi's got along fine till the europeans came by.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 11:42
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 14:46
They should have sent troops to defend the Tutsis. That would have prevented the genocide. Sending troops to actively fight against the Hutu's doesn't seem a good idea to me because that would have caused too many victims on both sides.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 15:44

Originally posted by Kubrat

Genghis, national interest?  People were dying!  It is wrong to send troops if you are only there for personal benefit.  But if helpless people are dying, you have every right to go to their aid, especially if they ask for it.

I didn't say personal benefit, I said national benefit.  Like if the violence in Rwanda threatened to destabilize the region and threaten your nation's vital interests.

And who cares if people are dying?  They die all the time.  People are dying right now in Somalia, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone, Colombia, etc. but if anyone tried to intervene and stop it all, they would be ruined militarily, financially, and politically.

I personally would never want to fight and die for a bunch of people of some victimized ethnic group unless it in some way made me, my family, and above all my countrymen better off.

Member of IAEA
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 15:50
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

They should have sent troops to defend the Tutsis. That would have prevented the genocide. Sending troops to actively fight against the Hutu's doesn't seem a good idea to me because that would have caused too many victims on both sides.

But how would that work?
Would you send troops to every small village with a Tutsi minority?
Arrrgh!!"
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 16:15

National interest ? Oil ? Monroe Doctrine ? Fake proves about the WMD ?

Are you on drugs? Monroe Doctrine? WMD? - This has nothing to do with Rwanada.

Poor Africa, so plenty of natural resources, but too much violence and deseases.

There are these things everywhere. What is the point in this comment?

Maybe just forget the issues that hit home first and go fight the battles for people you have no relation to?

[hypothetical]
"Mr. President!!! we have reports that theres a terror attack coming soon on our country from country X - and there are battles Between country Y and Z that we have absolutley no relation to. What should we do???"

- President - "Hold that terror attack!! and Send troops to Y to fight Z!!!"
[/hypothetical]

Neither US, Russia, England or France will intervene to clean up the mess they left behind during the colonial period and the cold war time

Allow me to just click my fingers and kiss the whole world better. Who wants a kiss first?

How come an AK47 becomes the national coat of arms of a republic ?

Although this in no way links back to Rwanada - The AK47 is an excelent and realiable gun. It doesnt jam when you don't want it to - and is accurate enough. Most AKs made today are made  in Africa for Africans. If people are using it on their Coat of Arms... its because its a sexy looking gun.

Regards

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 17:41
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 17:58

Those damn 6th graders!!! don't you just hate it when they right and your wrong?

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 18:02

(sp) they're* - you're* just incase you're podantic

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 20:52
I think on this issue Genghis is right that troops cannot be sent, to commit to one human rights action is to be a hypocrite if you dont commit to them all anyway.  I find it intereting how whenever the US does somthing its wrong, and when they dont do anything thats still wrong.  However, Im not adverse to a Balkan style conflict where only some air power is used to attempt to bring abou the halt of such things.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 16:00

And who cares if people are dying?  They die all the time.  People are dying right now in Somalia, Zimbabwe, Sierra Leone, Colombia, etc. but if anyone tried to intervene and stop it all, they would be ruined militarily, financially, and politically.

I personally would never want to fight and die for a bunch of people of some victimized ethnic group unless it in some way made me, my family, and above all my countrymen better off.

Genghis
[/QUOTE]

Your argument is deeply disturbing as it logic would suggest that you would not sacfrice one single American life for x number of other nationals. In the case of Rwanda up to one million Rwandans died most of which could have been prevented with the deployment of 5,000 troops (I say deployment of troops not deaths, and bearing in mind they were armed with equipment used for farming rather than modern warfare what serious risk can you foresee?). Your argument furthermore diminishes the value you pin to national identity. How could you take pride in an identity that takes the view that you should only care about those in your group? I am British and you are American we can both take a certain pride in are nationalities but how can we, if it excludes us from caring about people who do not carry the same passport as us. If you saw a child drowning in a river and you were a good swimmer and could save the child with out causing serious risk to yourself would you actually question the nationality of the child? If the child conforms to you nationality you would save them if not you would watch them drown? The case of Rwanda was very similar America, Britain and France could easily have saved the people in Rwanda without sacrificing are vital national interests both economic and military. It is also interesting that you take so much from your national interest, but America is not natural, humanity is natural we are born with it and have since the dawn of time nationality is relatively modern and has been created. This is not to undermine the importance of nationality. In particular the formation of the America is particularly interesting America was formed on the idea of independence and democracy that people should not be born into positions of power and subjugation. In the 21st century should we not say that people should not be born into a situation where they are subject to genocide irrespective of their nationality? In fact we did it's called the 1948 Convention on the prevention and punishment of the crime of genocide and was signed by both the United States and Britain. Isnt about time we started to act on beliefs?

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 23:24

Of course I personally would save a drowning baby, but it's entirely different in international diplomacy.  I have no right to send Americans to die because it helps me sleep at night, I'd only send them to die to make my nation safer.  And intervention in Rwanda would basically be a recolonialization of that country without any way to resolve the centuries old hatreds, and in the end it would only get the sons of my nation killed for a nebulous idea such as "solidarity with the victimized".  As Bismarck said "beware of sentimental alliances where knowledge of good deeds is the only compensation for noble sacrifices."

Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 06:07

Rubbish American troops are not forced to join the army they make a choice to sign up and when they sign up they agreeing to do their governments biding. If that happens to be to save Rwandans so be it. Furthermore on recruiting, adverts specifically highlight humanitarian responsibilities as a role of both the British and American armies. And where do you get the idea that Rwanda is a centuries old conflict the idea of Hutu and Tutsi is largely false. Hutu's are generally poorer and shorter and Tutsi's are generally richer and taller. But there was a lot of intermarriage and the majority of Rwandans did not take much from the term. It was only after Rwanda's colonial masters after WW1 sought to divide the country by issuing Hutu and Tutsi identity cards as part of a divide and rule strategy. The Hutu extremist further sought to increase this divide by instigate false attacks on Rwandan's to create a climate of fear and then blame the aggression on the Tutsi's. But despite all of this the majority of Rwandan's did not accept this divide, which is why there were peace protests on the streets of Kigali before the genocide broke out, and why later on a number of the Rwandans killed were Hutu. And how can you call it a colonisation to intervene in Rwanda when the majority of the population would support it with open arms. Were we colonising Europe when Allied troops invaded Western Europe liberating countries like France. You still take too much national identity. America is a nation of 250 million people and yet you have not met hardly any of them. It is an identity, which is artificial as opposed to are natural identity as human beings. Why should a solider risk their life to save a stranger just because they happen to have been accidentally born into the US whereas another stranger a Rwandan happens to have been born outside of the US? Any argument you make in reply to that question can equally apply to a duty to save the Rwandan as well. Your reply about the baby analogy not applying to international diplomacy thank God that FDR along with the majority of Americans did not accept that argument when they introduced the Lend and Lease Act justifying it on the grounds that if you neighbours house is on fire you dont haggle over the price of a hose.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 16:26

What do you mean when you say I should love someone because they're a human being, that doesn't mean anything. 

"What can you tell me about John?"

"Well he's a human being."

"Oh, thanks, that makes it so much clearer!"

Nations are not artificial identities, nations share common cultures, histories, languages, traditions, etc.  It's the largest natural identity anyone can have.

Member of IAEA
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 06:18
Recently,La France has been accused of taking part in the Rwandian Genocide.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Post Reply Post Reply