Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cimmerians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cimmerians
    Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 17:11
Crimean Tatars. Are these the people you're refering to, Kapikoğlu?
I'm asking because my father is a Crimean Tatar; His family escaped to Turkey and Bulgaria, I think in first half of 20th century but I will verify.

Edited by HumanBeing
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 22:03
"Crimean Tatars" doesn't bare on the subject on Cimmerians, in that, while "Crimaean" may (or may not) have come from "Cimmerian", the "Tatars" were Turks which under the service of the Mongols, gained possession of the Crimea.
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 21:07
I've read in at least a couple of sources that the Cimmerians spoken of in the context of the invasion in Anatolia either settled there and mingled with local populations or withdrew into the regions between the Black and Caspian seas after encountering stiff resistance from the Medes and Assyrians.  This appears to be the only time in which they made significant inroads into civilized areas and it may not have ended well for them, since we have no extensive records of their existence otherwise.  It should be noted that they invasion came at the end of a period when the civilizations of Mesopotamia and the eastern Mediterranean were reeling from the effects of a massive influx of nomadic raiders which included the notorious "sea peoples".
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12