Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mali & America

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mali & America
    Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 09:33
Today I heard there is serious evidence that Malinese (sp?) ships visited America. Tests have shown that gold from American Indian tresures was from Africa, and Arabic accounts made several notes about Malinese ships visiting a country in the west.
Does someone have more info about this subject?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 14:32
Ive heard about this numerous times, but the sources that I heard it from where really unrelibale black-nationalist biased ones.  I certainly wouldnt rule it out as many people had the capacity to make it to America before Colubus (Zheng He, the Basques etc) but I would like to see some hard evidence, especiall yin the form of ships and their design since Mali is not near any natural harbors and the Niger river is not easy to navigate.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 15:48
Mali once ruled the area around the Senegal river up to the coast, and i do believe that the interpretation is that they must have sailed from there.
However, some varients claim that they landed in the southern US (seems every alternative American discovery has to involve the US *rolls eyse*).
Given currents and wind, it is much more likely that a ship sailing from that part of West Africa would end up off Brazil, as is what happened with Cabral when he got blown off course  just off the Southern end of West Africa's bulge, on the way to India.
The whole thing relies mostly on a vauge Arabic text.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 16:13
Well, it was my Medieval History professor who told about it. And he is surely no black nationalist . Although he did wear a kerchief (or wathever the desert-nomad headscarf is called) at the beginning of the college.
I'll ask him more about it next week.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 19:56

Its documented, but not proven, is all Im saying, Ill beleive it if I can see what kind of ship supposedly did this.

Actually, according to what I read, there was a frist expedition by the Mali but they dissapeared never to be heard from again, probably died at sea if they existed at all.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 04:42
Here's what I heard:  the story came from Mansa Musa, Mali's greatest king.  While making his famous pilgrimage to Mecca, he stayed for a while in Cairo, and told a story about a predecessor, Abubakari II.  He claimed he had traveled across the desert to reach Mecca because Abubakari failed to find a water route to the holy city.  According to him, Abubakari launched 200 ships into the Atlantic; only one returned, its captain claiming that the others had been taken away by a "river with a violent current in the middle of the ocean."  Abubakari built a second fleet, and decided to lead it himself.  He and the fleet were never seen again, though Afrocentric historians like Ivan Van Sertima believe that the Malians made it to Brazil and settled down there, reaching America nearly two hundred years before Columbus.  I'm skeptical myself, due to a date conflict; everything I've read about the supposed expeditions has them taking place in a timeframe of 1310-1312, with Abubakari as the king immediately before Mansa Musa, but the royal chronology that we have for Mali places Abubakari a full generation earlier (1274-85).

As for where they could have landed (assuming the expedition took place, of course), Mali is still several hundred miles north of the equator; in Africa the equator runs from Gabon to Kenya.  Winds and currents tend to avoid the equator and don't cross it (hence the doldrums), so a ship launching from Senegal that relied on the trade winds would have most likely ended up in Barbados, Trinidad, or the nearest mainland countries (Venezuela, Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana).  The only part of Brazil they could have reached on the first landfall is the state at the mouth of the Amazon.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 04:48
Or they could have found the Cape Verde islands, and just decided to chill there
Arrrgh!!"
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 07:39

Malinese, Egyptians, Greeks. Pheonicians, Polynesians, Chinese, Japanese, English, Irish, Welsh, French, Atlanteans, Space Travellers........

Wouldn't it just be quicker to draw up a list of who wasn't in America before Columbus.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 21:18

hahaha, sounds like someones been reading too much ivan van sertima...

the gold of the native american treasures was procured by the indians themselves. mining was not unknown to indians, even the least advanced among them (the chippewas and other indians had been mining copper in michigan's u.p. for thousands of years) and as for the arab records, id think them not much more accurate than those of the europeans of the time. sure they had compasses and more advanced navigation techniques but i doubt theyd know much about the atlantic. if arabs sailed the atlantic youd have had the canary islands and the azores as muslims sultanates by the time the spanish had arrived.

"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 20:02
Let's just say the native Americans discovered the Americas...
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 15:48

The conspiracy theories stem in fact from allegations that the Olmec language and the mendinke languages of West Africa (who were the people to later on found the kingdom of Mali) are apparently related. Also, the Olmec heads found in Africa appear to have black features.

This has given rise to theories that ancestors of the Mali people visited and colonized Mexico around 2500 years ago. I don't know how accurate these allegations are, due to the difficulty inherent in reconstituting a language (Olmec) which was extinct 2000 years ago and for which we don't have a Rosetta stone of sorts.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 01:36
Originally posted by Paul

Malinese, Egyptians, Greeks. Pheonicians, Polynesians, Chinese, Japanese, English, Irish, Welsh, French, Atlanteans, Space Travellers........

Wouldn't it just be quicker to draw up a list of who wasn't in America before Columbus.

I would say none of them.
Im not going to base my argumentation in nationalistic prides or cheaps theories taken from the internet.

As we all know, when 2 different cultures interact , there are always apportations or legacies during the interchange.

Some quick questions for you:

Why if any culture that supposedly arrived to this lands did not bring with them the metallurgic ?
Not even iron.
The metallurgic was not wide spread among the american cultures with the exception of jewerly.

Why if any culture that supposedly arrived to this lands did not bring back with them the corn, potato, or the vegetables and food discovered till the arrival of the spaniards.

The african facial caracteristics are taken as a basis to claim that african cultures formed the Olmec culture.
Cmon, we all know that the artistical conception not always matches the physical profiles of the cultures that created them. There are olmec figures with asiatic profiles. But were trying to represent the Jaguar.

Why if the Egypts, as claimed by other sources, did not created iron tools to build the mesoamerican pyramids ?

The temples, pyramids, observatories were built by using stone, bone and woods tools.

Plus, there are no record of bearded, white, negro visitors. No Mayan or Olmec stella shows such record.No Teotihuacans reference either. Any Incan mention ? I do not think so.

Why is so hard to give the proper credit to cultures that were developed independently of european, asiatic and african cultures.

Oops, I forgot, we are supposed to be the 13th jewish tribe that crucified by second time to Jesus and then we were pusnished by tainting our skin.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 10:59

Jalisco Lancer, I don't think that all these conspiracy theories aim to take away credit from the native american civilizations. Rather it is a case of national pride or simple "what-if" curiosity that leads many people to investigate possible ancient connections between the old and the new world. It certainly would reflect quite well on an ancient civilization to have been able to cross the Atlantic, or the Pacific, and give their descendants boasting rights.

Also, in the Americas, there are some things that may suggest such an ancient connection with Old world civilizations. The legends of Quetzalcoatl/Viracocha/Kukulkan, who supposedly were white, the black-featured Olmec heads, the (accidental) resemblance between Mexican and Egyptian pyramids, they all hint towards the possibility of such a connection. Especially for people who don't know much about history.

While most theories are pure speculation and utter nonsense, it is not entirely out of the question that some very limited contact may have existed before Columbus and the vikings. In all likelyhood, if anything of the sort took place, it was probably very limited and accidental, such as a ship getting carried by a storm and ending up stranded on the other side of the Atlantic. Even if it did happen, the impact of this supposed contact between the 2 civilizations was minimal.

The question of metalurgical disparity, ie no metals other than gold and silver being worked in the Americas, certainly rules out any extensive contact with Europe, Asia or Africa. On the other hand, limited, accidental contact is not excluded, since supposed visitors would not neccesarily have any knowledge themselves of metal-working, even if their civilization of origin did.

As for the other main knock against ancient mariners crossing the Atlantic, Thor Heyerdal has shown that great distances can be crossed with very primitive boats, especially given the seasonal trade winds.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 20:51
Didn't they work copper and bronze?
Arrrgh!!"
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 00:23

for jewerly basically
 Post Reply Post Reply