Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern biographical books on Historical f

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern biographical books on Historical f
    Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 15:25
Which modern biographical books would you recomend best topic?

I am looking for a good one on Julius Caesar. I have read about him and his life about 100x and pretty much know it from birth to death. Nevertheless, I have yet to read a good and descriptive modern book on the guy.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 01:55
I found the works by Michael Grant on Caesar to be the best. For primary of course you will be looking through Cassius Dio, Suetonius and Plutarch as your best sources.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 16:52
I Have both plutarch and Suentonius, which i ahve read both, but I am looking for a modern one. As for Dio Cassius, I cannot find which ones to get. I would like both his fragmented Punic War histories and his later civil ones. I have his bio of Augustus. The reason is that while I can afford the Penguin classics, the others are far more expensive(20 bucks for 2-3 books of a history). I would go for them but I want to be careful right now as to which books I pick for my readings since Im in school and always short on cash.
 Post Reply Post Reply