Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mormons can they beome like god?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mormons can they beome like god?
    Posted: 23-Jan-2006 at 15:35
I wish I could see a 1950's edition. Anyway, do you know what the verses were about that were taken out? If they were. I know that there have been revisons on the Book of Mormon. They have been all approved.

I will ask around but I am not sure how I can get an old copy but I have Mormon friends who might. In revising an older version of the book of Mormon does that abrogate what was said before if your Prophet should decide that is no longer part of Mormon doctrine? I know in Islam what was written in the Medina period in the Koran has been abrogated by what their Prophet said in the Mecca period. Does your Prophet have the same power?

I once asked a close Mormon friend why old world animals are mentioned in the Book of Mormon but there has no evidence of their existence in the New World- why? He could not answer my question but he was a good testimony to his faith in his life.

I am not a biblical scholar but even I know that if you only look at a verse or two and not the whole context you are looking at it subjectively and not objectively. I have printed those versus and I will look at the whole context.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 09:37

I will ask around but I am not sure how I can get an old copy but I have Mormon friends who might. In revising an older version of the book of Mormon does that abrogate what was said before if your Prophet should decide that is no longer part of Mormon doctrine?

I don't think so.  I will try to find out for you.

I once asked a close Mormon friend why old world animals are mentioned in the Book of Mormon but there has no evidence of their existence in the New World- why? He could not answer my question but he was a good testimony to his faith in his life.

I cannot answer that in the affermitive.  All I know is that it mentions them in the New World.  Though there is no "hard" evidence as one may call it.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 21:05
Other than the Bible, which I have been told is considered corrupted, the Book of Mormon is the key source of spirituality or am I wrong???
How important is the Pearl of Great Price to Mormons and their doctrines? Is it secondary to the Book of Mormon like the Haddith is to the Koran in Islam? Is there a third book that is spiritually important or is it only two? I mention Islam because both religions claim the Bible is corrupt but the latter does not use the Bible at all unlike the Mormon faith. Both faiths claim their Prophet brought a revised and more pure revelation from God. It is interesting how far apart the two faith are when it comes to the nature and character of God or in their case Allah.

Hmmm:
Book of Mormon
Pearl of Great Price
is the another???
I have read portions of the Book of Mormon and I have copy but I need to locate a 1950's edition so I can show you the verse and then you can better answer me.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 21:51

Other than the Bible, which I have been told is considered corrupted, the Book of Mormon is the key source of spirituality or am I wrong???

The Bible was not completly translated correctly so, Joseph Smith went back through and with the power of God was able to fix the errors in the book.  The Book of Mormon is our key book for spirtual guidence, but we use the Bible as well

Article of Faith 8:

We believe the aBible to be the bword of God as far as it is translated ccorrectly; we also believe the the dBook of Mormon to be the word of God.

How important is the Pearl of Great Price to Mormons and their doctrines?

The Pearl of Great Price is important to our doctrine.  In Moses, it gives us the reason for the creation on top of the creation itself.  In Abraham, it is a record of Abraham, The first patriarch in the Jewish religion, that same man.

Is there a third book that is spiritually important or is it only two?

Yes, the books were study out of are: The Book of Mormon, The Bible (KJV), The Pearl of Great Price and The Doctrine and Covenants.  We each hold them in the same regard as each other.  All is doctrine.

Also, on top of that, the words of our modern day prophets are considered scripture so we read their talks in a magazine called the Ensign(aimed for adults), New Era (aimed for youth), and the Friend (aimed for kids)

Edited by Le Renard
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2012 at 21:14
I thought Mormons were a breakaway fundamentalist Christian sect?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2012 at 22:10
Originally posted by Nick1986

I thought Mormons were a breakaway fundamentalist Christian sect?

then...draw your own conclusions.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12