Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tibetan Army

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hwarang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hwarang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibetan Army
    Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 17:06
Any info on the Tibetan armies during 7th and 9th centuries? Like what missile weapons, strategies, shields, swords, types of units....links and pictures would be really nice, thanks
Myyeeeeararrrrgghhh!!!-~Howard Dean
Hwarang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hwarang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 21:03

oh yea the ARMOR that ive heard was so inpenatrable any info on that?

Myyeeeeararrrrgghhh!!!-~Howard Dean
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 14:30
I started a thread asking for the same thing, no one answered.... I can tell you that Tibetan aror is reported as being practically the best in the world, or at least that area, stopping arrows cold, good cataphracts and th elike.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 18:51

Well... they had fierce warriors. Definitely helps that alot of battles of Chinese vs. Tibetans had the Chinese marching uphill right into their snowy mountain fortresses.

Weapons and armor... similiar to China. They wore chainmail commonly, something unlike China. Armor seemed to be mainly lamellar (leather or metal) or chainmail with circular disks as chest/back guards.

Composite bows as usual. Don't know about crossbows, it seems China had the monopoly on those.

As for their invulnerable armor... I've heard, MAYBE, it had to do with a sort of 'laquor' they used on their armor. Like some kinda special coating they put on their armor. In that story I heard of 'barbarians' in such armor though, the Chinese countered by...

lighting them on fire with flaming arrows. I don't know if they were tibetan. I figure Tibetans would count as barbarians, since that word pretty much means "the guys who don't wear our hats"

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 19:25
yes but they werent really barabarians, they had the Yarlung dynasty and thier own imperial system.
-Alexander Hamilton
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 20:18

The Tubo army is infantry based, their heavy infantry are completely covered with armour with the exception of the eyes, thus they have some of the best protection around. They are described to be feroucious and fearless in battle and consider death as an honor. Their cavalry archer however are mostly auxiliars of turks since they aren't superb in it, their heavy cavalry also lack decisive shock power, but has good protection like the infantry. In fact the cavalry usually dismount to fight on foot. Its their infantry that is their strongest weapon. They are well armed and disciplined, its said that when one falls, the next would fill the gap of his rank, their spears are said to be shorter but thicker than the Tang ones, their missile however isn't that superb. Their armour's quality is so good its recorded that the only bow that could pierce it was the iron tipped arrow of the Tang longbow.(excluding crossbow of corse)

In the battle of Bei Ting against the Uighur, the Uighur thought their cavalry was too mobile and would haeve defeated the Tibetans with no problem, but during the battle, the Tibetan manage to charge with their infantry after some cavalry skirmish and the Uighurs been outnumbered and facing the ferouciousness of the Tibetan attack with their heavy protection could not stop it, so they retreated from the battle field and Bei Ting was taken. However in genreral Tibetan army is powerful but it seem to be the view of that time that they are not as efficient as the mongolian turks or the Tang because of their lack of mobility and missile, their troops usually won by superior number or terrain advantage. Never the less they have a efficient military and have defeated the Tang and then the uighurs many times.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 20:19
Tibetans had cataphracts too though, even in infantry was the base.
-Alexander Hamilton
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 20:22
Many army had cataphracts at this time, Tibet was just one of them, but the common tactic of the majority of the heavy cavalry is still to dismount and fight on foot.
 Post Reply Post Reply