Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ages that resulted with the most prosperity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mohamed View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mohamed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ages that resulted with the most prosperity
    Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 15:01

What, in your view, is the age that resulted with the most prosperity in both ancient Roman and Greek times?

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 18:30
Good topic.

an economic state of growth with rising profits and full employment for the Greeks would probably be when Greece was under the Ottoman (Turkish Empire) Rule from 1453 to 1821. I don't know much about the Roman Empire but I would have to say when Byzantine Emperor Justinian I during the sixth century A. D., Belisarius defeated a superior Persian force that threatened to extinguish Constantinople.

Nice topic by the way.
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 18:59
I doubt Greece hit its golden age under Ottoman rule, Jay. Yes, there was economic growth during that time, but it was pretty much the reversal from what the Turks inflicted, not to mention the Latin and Serbian empires. Also during that time, a portion of the Greek population fled to the hills and mountains, and would not have benefitted from a centralized government and economy.

For Greece, the golden age was directly after the Persian War, and it lasted a generation or two. For Rome, it was between Octavian and Hadrian, which lasted a bit more than 100 years.
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 20:10

I could agree with that, Herschel. The empire was built because Persia was still somewhat of a threat. Sparta and Athens built alliances with other city-states. The Delian League met on the island of Delos. There were now over 150 city-states. Athens dominated and made others pay tributes of ships, soldiers, and money, and they wouldn't let anyone leave.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 22:57
Well the period after the Persian defeat would be called the Athenian Golden Age at any rate, I doubt the other members of the Delian League liked having their pooled military funds spent on the Athenian Parthenon.

For Rome the Golden Age was indeed between Augustus and Marcus Aurelius.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 04:30
Prosperity has nothing to do with political stability, often the opposite is true.  Thus I pick the time after the fracturing of Alexanders empire, specifically in Ptolpmiec Egypt.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 17:04
Originally posted by Tobodai

Prosperity has nothing to do with political stability, often the opposite is true.  Thus I pick the time after the fracturing of Alexanders empire, specifically in Ptolpmiec Egypt.

Nothing to do with political stability? Prosperity means an economic state of growth with rising profits and full employment.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 03:00

Yes and often that has NOTHING to do with political stability.  In fact there are more opporotunities when conflict and intrigue abounds.  The Greek city states being prosperous had alot to do with the fact they were always at war.  To take an example from outside the classical world think of Renaissance Italy, unspurpassed banking and wealth than in northern EUrope...and alot less stability and alot more war.  War stimulates the market, competing politicans will through money around to get their way as well.  Same thing for Greek city states.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 00:04
War often improves the economy; US during the 1950's.  I agree with Tobodai, has to be the hellenistic era (323-30 b.c.).  The time of Archimedes and incredible scholarship, the library of Alexandria and that of Pergamum.  War gave great minds like that of Archimedes the excuse to develop new war machines.  In fact, the scientific revolution almost occured during this time period instead of during the enlightenment.

Edited by Justinian
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Post Reply Post Reply