Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Albania

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albania
    Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 12:56
ALBANIA

Albania is a Mediterranean country in southeastern Europe. It is bordered by Serbia and Montenegro in the north, the Republic of Macedonia in the east, and Greece in the south, has a coast on the Adriatic Sea in the west, and a coast on the Ionian Sea in the southwest.

The country is an emerging democracy. Albania consists of mostly hilly and mountainous terrain, the highest mountain, Korab in the district of Dibra reaching up to 2,753 m. The country mostly has a land climate, with cold winters and hot summers. Besides capital city Tirana, with 520,000 inhabitants, the principal cities are Durrs, Elbasan, Shkodr, Gjirokastr, Vlor and Kor.

Tirana

Tirana is the capital and largest city of Albania. Founded in 1614, it became Albania's capital city in 1920. Located on the Ishm River, Tirana is Albania's chief industrial and cultural centre. Tirana is presently trying to develop a tourist industry, although this effort is hampered by the political instability in the region.

For the past several years, Tirana has been undergoing a self-described renaissance. The city is rebuilding and repairing all of its historic structures and, in addition, is refurbishing and repainting all of its modern ones. The results have been impressive.

The city has also improved lighting in most areas of the downtown core and installed lighting in far-flung districts where it was not available before.

And the city government has set out to improve public parks and roadways throughout the city.

Durres

Durrs is the most ancient and one of the most economically important cities of Albania. It was founded by the Greeks and tossed between the Greeks, the Illyrians, and the Romans for much of its history.

More to come...
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 11:05
Nice Mila. Have you ever been anywhere in Albania? Those comming from the north, from Montenegro, will get shocked at the underdevelopment of Shkodra. Which has been very much ignored. The south is far more beautiful for me, sicne it has the beaches and older relics(ancient Roman and Greek remains, very old churches, old ottoman era houses etc)
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 12:03
Yes - I've been to Albania, Iskender. I enjoyed it a great deal but to answer your question... I'm sad to admit that places Shkodra are what I, and I assume most Bosniaks, assumed all of Albania to be. I'll never forget the first time I realized the streets were in good condition and the commieblocks were modern. I thought Albania would be like Sicily but it was, at least on the surface, significantly better.

The strange thing I noticed - well, first of all I have to say that the vast majority of Albanians don't care who you are or where you're from. Just about everyone was friendly, curious, polite, interested, interesting, etc. But, this is what surprised me - those who are emotionally and intellectually involved in the war in Kosovo, those who hate Serbs... they treated me just as badly. So it seems to be more a tension with Slavs to me, among the nationalists? But I really have to stress again, we're talking about at most two people out of the thousands I happened across. It's not a big thing, but just I noticed this.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 12:20
General feeling of slavs in Albania is mixed. Many are afraid of their influence. One thing because the religious situation in Albania is similar to that of ex-Yugo and that if we followed in your paths we would have similar results. Thats why many push for nationalist ideologies. In general, if you go down tirana, there is no hard feelings. Serbs have started a big business in the center of the city making a big souvlaki stand thats very popular. Many of the people you met could also have been from Kosovo also. Since the migration in 99, many did not want to go back and settled in Albania. There was ill-feeling towards them too at first, since they took the few jobs out there. They also had more money and could open the businesses, thats why in Durres you will find many stores named "Tetova"(they are from FYROM) or "Prizren place" etc.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 20:16
i dont think there is anything to be afraid of especially any type of influence nowdays. With globalization on high gear the whole is slowly developing a single consumer culture and so is Albania and the rest of the Slavic nations.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 11:39
whole is slowly developing a single consumer culture and so is Albania and the rest of the Slavic nations.

Yea... I guess once we all become one big America everything should be okay.
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Surbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 12:24
   I can only  post  on  these  topic  a very  interesting  link.  Worth  to  spend
some min. for it.......
When your heart is empty,your
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Surbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 12:26
www.zerbaijan.com\albania\caucasian-albania.html
 I think i have some problems with copy\paste on these website
When your heart is empty,your
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 13:12
Saranda, city of 40 saints. One of my favorite cites

Saranda

Blue Eye

Numerous old churches and castles

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 13:17
Some more from Saranda.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 13:23
The group married there has an EL on their licence plate. They are from Elbasan.
 Post Reply Post Reply