Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Byzantine ships

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Byzantine ships
    Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 07:28

I have found a magazine with some photos of reconstructed Byzantine ships from the 7th-12 century. The photos are from an exibition that took place here in greece 1 or 2 years ago.

Here is a trade ship

A scout ship

A battle ship as it was in 7 century:

During the 9 century there have being huge changes in the Battle ship and the start to look like those:

A dromon:

2 ships called Caravos (quarib in arabic or Caravel in latin):

And at last a transport ship. That ship had the ability to through into the beach (and into the heat of a battle mounted units ). It name was taritis:

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 07:38

Beautiful ships.

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 10:54
 Thats great i've never seen Byzantine ships in anything other than sketches and mosaics etc. Can't appreciate them properly unless you see them reconstructed like this.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 12:15
The dromon was their main naval ship for their military, correct?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 16:56
Originally posted by Herschel

The dromon was their main naval ship for their military, correct?

Early on it was, light and fast. Played a prominent role in the battles with the Arab navies. Later they resorted to using heavier vessels, the dromon was a light vessel whose speed was its main advantage.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 19:20
Very interesting but what was your source for these beautiful pictures?
Oh Bline one are you really in Greece?
My mother was from Corinth but I live in Washington State, east side of the state -Spokane, Washington
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2005 at 11:11
Originally posted by BlindOne

2 ships called Caravos (quarib in arabic or Caravel in latin):

A spanish galleon????

Edited by Ikki
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 13:06
Very nice.Thanks!
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 04:49

Greetings and happy new year

To eaglecap: My source is a magazine ( I don't remember the name) with a military history subject. The photos are coming from an exibition about the byzantine ships in the centuries 7-12. The recostructions have been made from a univercity (i thinks the aegean, but i have to read the article again in order to confirm that). To make the recostructs they used Byzantine latin and arabic sources.

Yes i am from greece since born . I am from central greece, Thessalia, but i live now in Thessaloniki for univercity studies.

To Ikki: When i first saw the photos i thought the same. There are almost no recontruct of those ships not even a close image about how was them. But as you can see there are some differences , but the general shape of the ship is the same.  But i don't understand why is that weird? Almost all the Byzantine ships was coppied by the arabs and the Venetians.

Post Reply Post Reply