Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nasreddin Hodja Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Uyghur Oghli View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nasreddin Hodja Stories
    Posted: 16-Apr-2006 at 22:06
Thanks very much for Barbar for posting Uyghur version of Nesridin Ependi's stories. Here are some more that I've known from my very early age:

A Dinner of Smells

A poor man once went to find the Efendi and humbly said, "Wise and noble Nasirdin, I want to ask a favor of you but I don't know if you will stoop so slow as to help me."
"To help my neighbor is an honor and a pleasure. Speak," answered the Efendi.
"Alas!" said the man with a sigh. "For us poor people, life is not easy. Yesterday I stopped a moment in front of the door of a restaurant belonging to a great lord. He said that I ate the smell of his food and asked me to pay him. Naturally I could not give him a cent and he took me before the cadi. My sentence will be pronounced today. Can you help me? Say something in my behalf."
"All right," replied the Efendi and accompanied the poor man to the court of the cadi.
The lord was already there, talking gaily with the cadi. As soon as he saw the accused, the cadi changed his expression and began covering him with insults. "Shameless man! You see this lord? You have filled yourself up on the smell of his restaurant and have not even paid him. Pay him what you owe, at once!"
"You will become ill with vexation, my lord," said the Efendi, stepping forward. He bowed and added, "This poor man is my elder brother. He doesn't have a cent, so I will pay in his place."
The Efendi then took a little sack of copper coins from his belt, bent to the lord's ear and jingled them. "Do you hear this sound?" he asked.
"Of course I hear it," retorted the lord.
"Well, now the debt is paid. My brother has smelled your meals and you have heard his money."
He took the arm of the poor man and went away.

The Three Truths

One day the Efendi took his carrying pole and rope and went to the bazaar looking for work. He joined a group of day-laborers waiting to be hired, squatted down and hoped for a bit of luck. After a while a great lord came along and called out loudly, "I have bought a case of porcelain. To the one who will carry it home for me I will tell three incontrovertible truths."
No one paid any attention to him. The Efendi however, grew curious. "Money?" he thought. "There is always a way to earn it, but it doesn't happen every day to listen to three incontrovertible truths. If I carry the case for him I'll become more intelligent." He arose, picked up the case with his carrying pole and followed the lord toward his home.
As they walked, the Efendi very humbly asked the lord to speak. The lord replied, "Listen carefully. If somebody tells you that it is better to have an empty stomach than full one, you must absolutely not believe him."
"Wonderful!" exclaimed the Effendi. "And what is the second truth?"
"If somebody tells you that to go on foot is better than to go on horseback, at any cost you must not believe him."
"Right! So right!" said the Effendi. "It's such a pleasure to listen to such profound truths! And what is the third truth?"
"Listen," said the rich lord, "If somebody tells you that in this world there is somebody more idiotic than you, for heaven's sake you must not believe him."
The Efendi listened to him attentively, then suddenly opened the hand which was steadying his carrying pole and - crash! - the case burst open on the ground. Pointing to the broken pieces of porcelain, the Efendi said to the lord, "Listen, if somebodoy tells you that your porcelain has not broken, for heaven's sake you must not believe him!"

You can read more of the Uyghur version of the stories here:

http://www.meshrep.com/Story/Storylist.html
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 08:56
I think this is one of the earliest translations into the English language of the famous "Nasreddin Hodja", it was completed in the 18th/19th Century, I think it was translated into French even earlier.

~ The Power of the Turban ~

A Persian resident of Aksehir received a letter from his relatives in Esfahan. Since he was illiterate, he brought the letter to Nasreddin Hodja to read for him. But the Hodja didn't know Persian.

`This is written in Persian,' he grumbled, `I can't read Persian!'

`Hodja Effendi, Hodja Effendi,' The Persian was very upset, `you are wearing a mountainous turban that signifies your learning, and you can't even read a letter?' Hodja considered for a moment and then took his turban off and handed it over to the Persian.

`Effendi, if it is the turban that does the trick, then be my guest, you wear it and you read the letter!'

The Squeaky Shoe

A guest of the Hodja's broke wind, but he hid its sound by rubbing his shoe across the floor at the same time.

"You did well by covering up that sound with your squeaky shoe," said Nasreddin. "But unfortunately you did not hide the smell."

LOL

The Cauldron and its children

One day the Cogia borrowed a cauldron of a brazier, and carrying it home,
put a little saucepan into it, and then carrying it back, returned it to
its owner.  The owner seeing a little saucepan in the cauldron, said,

'What is this?' 

'Why,' cried the Cogia, 'the cauldron has borne a
child'; whereupon the owner took possession of the saucepan.  One day the Cogia asked again for the cauldron, and having obtained it, carried it
home.  The owner of the cauldron waited one day and even five days for
his utensil, but no cauldron coming, he went to the house of the Cogia
and knocked at the door.  The Cogia coming to the door, said,

'What do you want?' 

'The cauldron,' said the man. 

'Oh, set your heart at rest,' said the Cogia, 'the cauldron is dead.' 

'O Cogia,' said the man, 'can a cauldron die?' 

'Oh,' said the Cogia, 'as you believed it could bear a
child, why should you not believe that it can die?'

Big smile

The Bridal Festival
One day Cogia Efendi went to a bridal festival.  The master of the feast
observing his old and wretched garments, paid him no consideration
whatever.  The Cogia saw that he had no chance of notice; so going out he hurried to his house, and putting on a splendid pelisse, returned to the
place of festival.  No sooner did he enter the door than the master
advanced to meet him, and saying,

'Welcome, Cogia Efendi,' with all imaginable honour and reverence placed him at the head of the table, and said,

'Please to eat, Lord Cogia.' 

Forthwith the Cogia taking hold of one of the furs of his pelisse, said,

'Welcome, my pelisse, please to eat, my lord.'  The master looking at the Cogia with great surprise,
said,

'What are you about?' 

Whereupon the Cogia replied, 'It is quite
evident that all the honour paid is paid to my pelisse, so let it have
some food too.'

The Three Priests

In the time of Cogia Nasr Eddin Efendi, three priests, who showed
themselves versed in every kind of learning, travelling through the
world, at last came to the country of the Soldan Ala Eddin.  The Emperor
invited them to accept the true faith; whereupon the three said, 'Each
one of us has a question to ask, and if you can give us an answer, we
will adopt your religion.'  All agreed to this condition; and Soldan Ala
Eddin having assembled his ulemas and sheiks, not one of them was able to make any reply to the questions of the strangers. 

The Soldan Ala Eddin was very much incensed and mortified, and exclaimed, 'So there is not one of the ulemas and sheiks in the countries beneath my jurisdiction who can
answer these fellows.'  Whereupon one of the ulemas replied, 'Though none
of us can answer these questions, perhaps Cogia Nasr Eddin Efendi can.'
The Emperor, on hearing these words, gave orders to his Tartar messengers
to go in quest of Nasr Eddin Efendi.  The Tartars, with all imaginable
speed, went their way, and having found the Cogia, communicated to him
the commands of the Sultan. 

Nasr Eddin, that moment saddling his ass,
took his staff in his hand, and mounting the animal, said to the Tartar,
'Lead the way and set off straight for the palace of Soldan Ala Eddin.'
On his arrival, he went into the presence of the Emperor, to whom he
said, 'Salaam,' and received the same salutation from the Sultan, who,
pointing out a place to him, bade him sit down.  Said the Cogia to the
Emperor, after wishing him a blessing, 'For what may it have pleased you
to summon me?'  Whereupon the Soldan Ala Eddin told him the whole
circumstance. 

The Cogia forthwith turning to the priests said, 'What are
your questions?'  Then one of the priests, coming forward, said, 'May it
please your Efendiship, my question is this: "Where may the middle of the
earth be?"' 

Thereupon the Cogia, instantly dismounting from his ass,
pointed with his staff to the fore foot of the ass, saying, 'The middle
of the earth is the spot on which my ass's foot stands.'  'How do you
know that?' said the priest.  'If you doubt my words,' said the Cogia,
'take a measure and see whether it comes to more or less.'  Another of
the priests coming forward said, 'How many stars are there in the face of
the heaven above us?'  Said the Cogia, 'As many hairs as there are upon
my ass so many stars are there in the heaven.'  'How do you know?' said
the priest.  'If you doubt,' said the Cogia, 'come and count, and if
there is any difference, say at once.'  'Have you counted, then,' said
the priest, 'the hairs upon your ass?'  'And have you counted how many
stars there are?' said the Cogia.  Then another priest coming forward
said, 'If you can answer my question the whole of us will adopt your
religion.'  'Speak,' said the Cogia, 'let us hear it.'  'Tell me, O
Cogia,' said the priest, 'how many hairs there are in this beard of
mine.'  'Just as many,' said the Cogia, 'as there are hairs in my ass's
tail.'  'How do you know?' said the priest.  'Soul of mine,' said the
Cogia, 'if you don't believe, come and count.' 

The priest would not
consent.  'If you will not consent,' said the Cogia, 'come, let us pluck
hair for hair from your beard and from the ass's tail and see if they
don't tally.'  The priest, seeing that he had the worst of the argument,
turned to the way of truth, and forthwith said to his companions, 'I
embrace the faith of Islam,' and acknowledged the unity of God.  The two
others also with heart and soul embraced the true faith, and the whole
three became servants and disciples of the Cogia.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 13:31

Nasreddin Hodja's tales seem very famous at middle east and west europe as well as anatolia. His hilarious tales also shows Anatolian people's senses, hopes, wievpoint to life...

I want to add that there is a similarity between Hoca Nasreddin and "Ahi Evran Veli" who is promoter of "ahizm." Ahi Evran's other name is "Nasırddin." And he influences all Anatolian with his ideas and actions. There can be some similarities between Arabic and Persian characters, or others. And surely there can be same tales in different languages. Anyway I want to know his true identity and origin. But we haven't any document except his anecdotes.

A Tale that belong 16th century about Hodja (in Turkish- I don't think there is a document that older than this in other languages)

One day Nasreddin Hodja feel likes water melon. He goes to a watermelon field. When he tries to rip one on bended his knees, owner of field saw him and asks: "What are you doing over there" Hodja says "I'm sh*tting"
Man comes near Hodja. Hodja stands up. Man says "where did you sh*t?" Hodja shows cow sh*t near them. Man says "There is cow sh*t here" Hodja says "You didn't let me to sh*t like man"

(Excuse me for my mistakes about language)
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 10:39
There are older records of Nasreddin Hodja stories from 15th and 14th century, like in the famous "Saltukname" written in Turkish and Asikpasazade the famous historian makes references.

In the Mecmua-yı Marif by Sivrihisar Mufti Hasan Efendi it writes in the records that he was a student of Seyyid Muhammed Hayrani in Aksehir Turkey.

He died in 1284 in Aksehir where his tomb is today, this also has stories and jokes all of its own in the complex.

Today the International Nasreddin Hodja festival is celebrated every year in his home town.

Lets not forget that the area of Central Anatolia was very advanced and developed in the 12th century onward thanks to the Seljuks who had an extensive building project across Anatolia, one of the oldest medical faculties and oldest mental hospital and treatment centre in the world is in Kayseri. Sabuncuoglu wrote the oldest known Paedeatric Surgical Atlas, the Ahilik system was very advanced and organised its very similar to "mahallelik" or "Aksakalik" or Turkistan region, it's one of the most important and oldest institutions in Ozbekistan today infact.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2006 at 17:15
I didnt know that he is known at other countries so much.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 13:09
Very ComicLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2006 at 15:59
In Bulgaria we have an equivalent of Nasreddin Hodja and his name is Hiter Peter(Clever Peter).There are many stories in which Hiter Peter faces Nasreddin Hodja and always fool him.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 13:47
Wonderful stories!  He isn't really known in Canada but my grandmother brought me back a book of his stories when I was a child, so I always read it and laughed and eventually ruined the book with some water :(

These are the illustrated story pages from the book I had as a child:

Has anyone read "The Good soldier Schweik"?  In a way the style of wisdom is similar, it's never clear if he is a complete fool or a cunning genius.  It's not as good as these folk tales maybe, but it's one of my favorite novels nonetheless.

Edited by Dan Carkner - 13-Nov-2006 at 15:28
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 09:32
Some people suppose he was sufi. Large part of Idries Shah's book "The Suffism" is about Nasraddin Hoja.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123