Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which is the most powerful European power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is the most powerful European power
    Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 03:07

Here's a nice travelogue on modern day Turkey by a BBC reporter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3998619.stm

Check the links to the right of the page.

I think that there're two Turkeys. Westernized West Turkey which may be a part of EU after some legislative changes and separation of State/Military from economic life. Eastern Turkey which is waaaaay back, closer to Midle Eastern standards in all aspects and cannot possibly be accepted in its present status.

Because of that 2nd part, Turkey will not be accepted in the EU any time soon. A status of "connection" will be acceptable for most EU countries but nothing more than this. I think that also Turkey understands that it's not ready and that it wont be for many years to come.

Pitty, because Greece would benefit a lot economicaly by Turkey's entrance.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 18:33
Originally posted by sephodwyrm

You know, I just think that there's also a lot of Turkey-bashing.
Why do I see more Turkish grad students in the US more than Greek grad students? Makes me wonder...

that was a good one. DO you not also forget that there are about 7 times as many turks as greeks? ANd what does grad school have to do with anything? and wheres your proof of more Turk grads than greeks? how can you tell whos a Greek American? SUch nonsense is pointless to point. ANd Bullsh*tting won't help your cause.

Edited by Christscrusader
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 22:43

Thanx for the hearty reply, m8. I am not talking about Turkish or Greek American. I am talking about International students in general. I am an international in UCB and the Turks make up one of the best organized international student body. In fact, even the Taiwanese or Chinese student body doesn't come close.

If you think I am offensive than I am probably as offensive as you are. Note my sig.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 00:41

It appears to me that this thread is coming dangerously close to requiring the attention of the Moderators and Admins.  We are, at this point - well off topic. 

Also -  Please watch you language and remember that not only are there young people who are members of the forum - but that many older people do not appreciate the use of profanity as well.  The use of inappropriate language reflects badly on the forum in general, and on all its members.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 18:47
well sophodwyrm i asked u and ill ask again. What proof do you have? Turks over Chinese and Tiwanese? Give me proof or don't say nuttin. Your "experience" is worth nothing without proof.
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 19:33

I agree with 'vagabond' it does appear like we have gone off topic a little.

I still stand by what I said previously that UK, France and Russia are the most powerful countries in Europe due to the fact they are the only nations to possess Nuclear weapons.

Does anyone disagree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345