Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Robin Hood legend myth or fact?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Robin Hood legend myth or fact?
    Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 16:39
What are the facts that the Robin Hood myth or legend is based upon?
I thought this would be a good nuetral topic.
I just thought of this off the top of my head. I tend to see the character as myth based on the reality of the period. I had the chance to walk through the real Sherwood Forest in England. It is a small fraction of the size it was in the medieval period. I was told that the ashes of many of the victims from the Black plague were buried there.
When I was there it was misty and I noticed that the dead upright tree trunks had faces on them when you looked closely, very spooky. Maybe this is where Walt Disney got the inspiration for his cartoons.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 17:24
I'm fairly certain that the legend is based on reality. It might have also been created in order to inspire young men, or to create a sense among the English people, that someone like Robin Hood is going to come and save them...
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2005 at 18:52

i've heard theories that Robin Hood is based on William Wallace (Braveheart) from his pre-war days as a highway robber.

http://www.boldoutlaw.com/realrob/realrob2.html#hobbehod

talks about Robert Hod, a fugitive who Robin Hood may be based on, along with stories of other fugitives

http://www.highlanderweb.co.uk/wallace/truth7.htm

william wallace info

AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 07:43
well who composed robin hood?
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 09:45
"Robin Hood" stories didn't appear until very late. (early 1500s) and incorporate lots of featurs from various different stories.

here is the optamistic,enthusiasts version:
http://www.robinhood.ltd.uk/robinhood/

more balanced accounts:
http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/H/history/n-s/r obin08.html
rgds.

Tom..
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 09:59
I read somewhere that Robin Hood was indeed based on a real thief that inhabited Sherwood Forest. However, this real person was certainly not as amiable as Robin Hood.
Gavriel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Gavriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 10:55
Hood was what robbers were called in the middle ages,theres a few examples of thiefs called Robin the Hood.But i dont think theres any evidence to suggest that 'a' Robin actually stayed in sherwood forrest.
As for his robbibg the rich and giving to the poor i dont believe that for a minute.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 12:29
Originally posted by Gavriel

As for his robbibg the rich and giving to the poor i dont believe that for a minute.

It wouldn't be the first bandit to do it. Have you read the biography of Phoolan Devi, for instance. Even selfish bandits (the vast majority) did it often in order to keep a large ammount of civic allies. That sort of delinquency is not so diferent from guerrilla war and it is well know that guerillas are very dependent on the quiet alliance of civil populations, so keeping them hhappy by redistributing part of the bounty would elp the very purposes of the bandits. It's very logical.

Anyhow, if the case of Robin Hood, had political ramifications, that is: he was an outlaw due to politics, then the reasons for such behaviour would be greatly increased, even if we can't fully compare his party with  modern day guerrillas. In Spain for instace there were several cases of anti-Napoleonic guerrilla leaders that eventually became popular bandits whith Ferdinand VII, as they were too liberal to bear that tyrant. The most famous case was El Empecinado.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 12:55

Most likely there have been several Robin Hoods:

Robert Hod - became outlaw in York in 1225 because of a debt

William Robehod - known as Robin Hood. An outlaw from Berkshire who was convicted in 1262

Gilbert Robynhod - a highwayman from Sussex (mentioned 1296)

Robyn Hode - mentioned in 1323

Robyn/Robert of Locksley - mentioned in 1196 and in 1203 as a man-at-arms

Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 13:57
I think he could easily have been based upon hereward the Wake. Many of the tales of the two have similarities.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 14:31

In my view anyway, the important part of the stories is that he is supposed to have been a dispossessed Saxon nobleman, but one who comes to terms with the Norman hegemony, accepting Richard I as his king, and is restored to his lands.

I think we have a political allegory here of the foundation of the English nation at the end of the 12th century, as the Saxon-Norman distinction begins to vanish. Paul is right about some similarities with Hereward, but Hereward, 150 years earlier, remains a rebel to the end. Robin Hood is perhaps Hereward politically corrected.

Which isn't to deny it may have been based on earlier stories about actual thieves, but I don't think the odd historical references to real thieves with similar names ever refer to noble Saxons.

Incidentally, T.H.White and others read the name "Hood" as a back formation from " 'ood " a common abbreviation of "Wood" at the time.

So Robin Hood, on that reading, would just be Robin of the Forest, and would have nothing to do with his headgear.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 23:42
Robin Hood is a character in the book Ivanhoe but this would make an interesting research project for AE if anyone wants to join me in this.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 13:55
Personally I really like the tale and I have actually been there and it seems possible to me that Sherwood Forest was once the setting for Robin Hood and his merry band of misfits.

However if there ever was a MAJOR forest it surely does not exist today. It is very green and misty with rolling hills and cool ponds and creeks but there are only patches of trees, hardly a thick mystical forest anymore at least not where I come from... But the location is a great staging point for raids all throughout England and Scottland etc so from a strategic point of view I think the story may have some validity.

Why not...

Edited by dirtnap
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 20:22
In the 11th - 15th C 'forest' in England, meant the regions covered by the forest laws. Only small parts of them were actual wooded territory.

As an aside,  there was more cultivated land in England in 2000 BC than in 1914 !    Large areas of England were turned into woodland in the 18th and 19th C, because it looked nicer (country houses etc came into fashion).
rgds.

Tom..
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 23:41
Thats an interesting point. Robin Hood and his merry band of misfits were hiding within the metaphorical forest canopy of Sherwood Law but in actuality the group was laying low in the red light district of merry old London drinking and carousing...

Hmm. So much for medieval romance but this tale is probably much closer to the truth...

Edited by dirtnap
ironaxe View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ironaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 15:17
Robin Hood was reputed to have originally been a Norman small landowner in Yorkshire.

I believe that these stories began as a direct result of the English resistance to the Norman conquest in the 1060/70's- the "silvatici" as Normans called their nemeses(who hid out, lived in and attacked from woodlands and fought as 'guerillas') under the command of the likes of 'Hereward 'the Wake' and earls Edwin, Waltheof and Morcar(with Danish/Norse viking aid) etc, in the many huge and serious post-1066 revolts that cost William dear.

Due to the continuous inclusion of Richard I in the stories(maybe added later?) of the 'merry men', this must time his era as between 1189-99?

The supporters of the former mighty warlord, Simon de Montfort, also became 'dispossessed' in the 1260's after he was slain at Evesham(1265) and they lived out a precarious, outlawed existence in the fens of Ely until being won over by the general pardons of Prince Edward[later King Edward I] in 1267.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 19:08
see the following link....it's informative and fun....  http://www.britainexpress.com/Myths/robin-hood.htm
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 08:30
Originally posted by Murph

i've heard theories that Robin Hood is based on William Wallace (Braveheart) from his pre-war days as a highway robber.

http://www.boldoutlaw.com/realrob/realrob2.html#hobbehod

talks about Robert Hod, a fugitive who Robin Hood may be based on, along with stories of other fugitives

http://www.highlanderweb.co.uk/wallace/truth7.htm

william wallace info

Those are most definately not true!Big smile

Interesting though...
 Post Reply Post Reply