Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

soviet russia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
esad View Drop Down
  Quote esad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: soviet russia
    Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 05:48
why did the soviets collapsed
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 06:09
short answer..

Nato significantly outspent them in military field.  Western and Asian companies outspent them in electronics.  Soviet attempts to keep up totally outstripped what their economy could support.  The economy collapsed and political support for the regiem collapsed.  They actually managed it quite well, some Western theorists believed that the collapse would be accompaniied by famine and large scale civil war.
rgds.

Tom..
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 09:58

USSR is no more.In Cyrillic it used to be CCCP n the Americans used to make fun of it as being 'Cabbages,Cucumbers,Caulifloers n Potatoes'..........so I guess thats what the CCCP is today.

History belongs to the victor.

Jai Badri Vishal
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 10:44
Soviets failed because soviet russia wasnt really communistic. it was a toltarian state ruled by dictators who wore the cloak of communisum to protect thereselves of being accused as a dictator. sort of like Cuba.

Edited by AlbinoAlien
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 11:24

Well, i mostly agree with AlbinoAlien, the USSR was not the communist ideal Karl Marx was thinking of in Das Kapital. Many soviet countries were not equal to Russia, wealth from such countries were shipped to Moscow (amongst other).

The USSR had many negative aspects, but also many positive such as high quality schooling for everyone, free (or almost) housing...

I was in Russia this summer (very nice country) and i noticed that many - or should i say more than i expected -  (specially the younger active generation 20-30 years) said it was better before.

What to the community's Russians say? Interesting to know.

Peace

Edited by sedamoun
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 11:27
Yes, there were some communist implements inside of the toltarian regime. and do you see the good these few communist implements did? think of the good a true communist country could do! uh oh! the CIA is at my door! gotta go! lol (j/k)

.....or an alien..
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 11:53

Originally posted by AlbinoAlien

Yes, there were some communist implements inside of the toltarian regime. and do you see the good these few communist implements did? think of the good a true communist country could do! uh oh! the CIA is at my door! gotta go! lol (j/k)

R U a Commander?

Jai Badri Vishal
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 13:38
? a real commander? what?

.....or an alien..
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 18:44
Apart of the already mentioned fact that the NATO was much richer and therefore the military expenditure of the Cold War wasn't such a big cost for them, there is another major reason: the USSR system showed to be very efefctive in the previous phase of Capitalism (mass production, Fordist system) but since the 60s or 70s Fordism was no more and the bureaucracy of the USSR wasn't allowing the system to adapt to the new Toyotist stage. The West being more flexible had outcompeted its rival in adapting to the new circumstances of Capitalism. Eventually the situation justbecame unbearable and the Soviet empire felt like the Biblical giant with feet of clay. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 08:09
I would say that Soviet Union collapsed from total inside corruption, from peoples double lifes, and from constant lies from Central Commitey.
Most people are happy that Soviet Union collapsed in my country, although there are some who aren't happy and mostly they are russians in old age who lost all their privilege.
 Post Reply Post Reply