Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2nd Gulf War, Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Poll Question: Why did the USA attack Iraq?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [18.42%]
1 [1.32%]
50 [65.79%]
11 [14.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 2nd Gulf War, Why?
    Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 13:11
Originally posted by cattus

Maju, I am critical of the amount of US tax payer money
Originally posted by Spartakus

They could have thrown him in 1991.They deliberatly left a dictator in power for 10 years,putting embargo and starving Iraqis,and then "suddenly" the President "cared" for them and went to liberatethem.Terrorism is nothing more than a political propaganda.Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11 or Osama.Saddam's regime was not a religious one,but a cosmic one.Religious extremists were his enemies.Iraq has a great geostrategic position,near Iran and Middle East.So control of Iraq,gives you control of the area near it.

*Sigh* Overthrowing Saddam in 1991 was not the UN objective."Suddenly" went in there? Do you know nothing of what went on for the past decade and how Saddam continualy thumbed his nose at the world? I cant believe that the US did not invade Iraq sooner!

Who said Iraq had ties with Al Qaeda or 9/11.. even so, how are you so sure they did not?

What difference does it make that Iraq was secular when it was led by an insane dictator that allowed the bases of religious extemist to run and gladly harbored known terrorist?

Ask Jordan if all terrorism is,is nothing more than a political propaganda.

UN objective?.Well,President Bush went to Iraq without even the permission of UN,in 2003.The US goverment does not give a sh*t about UN objectives.Well,Saddam was doing what a dictator would do during the past decade,caring for his ass.You said it yourself.He was insane.Yet he was left in power FOR A WHOLE DECADE,permitting him to harm more the Iraqis and sending to death more than 100.000 Iraqis(the last ten years) from deseases,from hunger,and from other causes.So the primary excuse for this invasion,to help the Iraqi people,was more than hypocritical.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 14:37

Sorry for being anal, but aren't you guys talking about Gulf war no.3? 

As far as I remember, the answer for no.2 is OIL, just like in the first one: Saddam wanted someone else's oil, therefore he made up territorial claims and invaded one of his neighbours - this time Kuweit.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 09:10
Originally posted by yan.

Sorry for being anal, but aren't you guys talking about Gulf war no.3? 

As far as I remember, the answer for no.2 is OIL, just like in the first one: Saddam wanted someone else's oil, therefore he made up territorial claims and invaded one of his neighbours - this time Kuweit.

True about Saddam, except that he didn't make up the territorial claims, since they were around a long time before.

I assume you're counting Iran-Iraq as Gulf War 1? what about the Anglo-Indian invasion in 1914-18? And a whole string of wars in the Gulf area going back a few thousand years?

Basically the reason WWI is called the 'first' world war (rather than say the Seven Years War) and GWI called the 'first' gulf war is that they were the first ones that the US fought in.

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 10:16

The first world war is called 'first' because a second one came after it. Before the second, it was just called 'world war', at least in German("Weltkrieg").

I'm not sure how many wars in the persian gulf region have been called 'gulf war' by their contemporaries, but I know the iran-iraq war has been. See for example one of the sources mentioned at the bottom of http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/iraniraq.htm (the same book at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0413613704/qid =1132067651/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-9956148-07840 51?v=glance&s=books&n=507846  

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 16:25
UN objective?.Well,President Bush went to Iraq without even the permission of UN,in 2003.The US goverment does not give a sh*t about UN objectives.Well,Saddam was doing what a dictator would do during the past decade,caring for his ass.You said it yourself.He was insane.Yet he was left in power FOR A WHOLE DECADE,permitting him to harm more the Iraqis and sending to death more than 100.000 Iraqis(the last ten years) from deseases,from hunger,and from other causes.So the primary excuse for this invasion,to help the Iraqi people,was more than hypocritical.

If you're really angry because Bill Clinton and a chamberlainian international community are responsible for Iraqi welfare, how does W fit in the equation?

After George Bush Sr. came a president that signed the Iraq Liberation Act, had the authority but didnt have the political kahunas to do anything about Saddam. The next president did have the kahunas.. and in the wake of 9/11, where the climate of thought on terrorism changed,was not in the mood for games. One president tried to talk terrorist to death, one is out to kill them.

So what is the basic point of your post, are you bitter because the US should have gone in sooner like I do or bitter about the recent invasion? If you have suspicions about the recent invasion, just lay them on the table.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 07:45
yan wrote
" Saddam wanted someone else's oil, therefore he made up territorial claims and invaded one of his neighbours - this time Kuweit."
From what I remember Kuwait was drilling sideways into Iraqi oil feilds or atleast in sensative places it shouldnt of done, considering how rich it already was and the Iran/IRaq war losses, Saddam thought he had some right within the arab world and definatly agianst kuwait. (ill find a source for this)
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 07:58

The first world war is called 'first' because a second one came after it. Before the second, it was just called 'world war', at least in German("Weltkrieg").

It was never known as the 'world war' in Britain anyway. It was always referred to as the 'Great War' until 1939. I guess 'Great War II' sounded silly.

As a candidate for the first world war the Seven Years war is pretty good, making the one that broke out in 1793 the second.

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 09:39
Originally posted by Leonidas

yan wrote
" Saddam wanted someone else's oil, therefore he made up territorial claims and invaded one of his neighbours - this time Kuweit."
From what I remember Kuwait was drilling sideways into Iraqi oil feilds or atleast in sensative places it shouldnt of done, considering how rich it already was and the Iran/IRaq war losses, Saddam thought he had some right within the arab world and definatly agianst kuwait. (ill find a source for this)
I think I remember those claims too - maybe those were the official reasons when the war started, and the territorial claims leading to the annexation of Kuweit only became prominent later?
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 09:42
Originally posted by gcle2003

It was never known as the 'world war' in Britain anyway. It was always referred to as the 'Great War' until 1939. I guess 'Great War II' sounded silly.

As a candidate for the first world war the Seven Years war is pretty good, making the one that broke out in 1793 the second.

French also speak of grande guerre and seconde guerre mondiale, don't they? and what about 1793?

Could it be the rest of the world just took over the German term? It would make some sense, given the german role in boith of that conflicts, and the way both wars were connected with each other..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456