Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Atlantis Exists?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ottoman Emperor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ottoman Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Atlantis Exists?
    Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 21:35
  Do you believe Atlantis ever existed, or did plato make it up?  If you think it did exist where is it?  How about the so called "Prophecies" of Edgar Cayce on Atlantis? 
God Bless You
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 23:31
I do believe that there is something like or exactly like an Atlantis somewhere out there. I am not sure about the accuracy of the Edgar Cayce prophecies about Atlantis, but I do believe something was found on the ocean floor during the year he predicted.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 14:03
Keeping in mind Plato was a philosopher, not a historian and that even he admits the story to be fictional at the first chapter of Criteas i take the story as fictional.
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 18:09
I don't have any opinion on Cayce (all what I've read on him seems meaningless blah-blah to me but it may well be that I don't understand).

But I do have an elaborated opinion on Atlantis (or, for the case, the Erythia of Heraklean legend): it was the civilization of Vila Nova de Sao Pedro in what is now Central-Western portugal, the two peninsulas around the stuary of the Tagus river.

I explained my theories with some depth and maps in this topic: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5788& ; ;PN=2

It's a prosaic theory though, but after reading something on the great earthquake of Lisbon in the 18th century recently, I could even accept the catastrophe mentioned in the Platonic account. Most of the rest of the facts mentioned by Plato fit pretty well with VNSP and some that don't, such as the strange disposition of the capital city, could well be unknown due to lack of archaeological research or erasure of the remains in the catastrophe (or were just made up mixing something else).

If you want more information on Ancient Iberia so you can make up your mind without my fancy theory making VNSP culture to be Atlantis, just serious prehistory, take a look a at http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6063& ; ;PN=1

Some maps so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about:

Map showing how the stuary wasmuch larger, what could made it easier to appear as an island to Eastern sailors.

Map (made by myself) showing the area of VNSP and nearby cities and tomb areas in the Chalcolithic Age

Cultural map of Iberia in the Bornze Age.

The duration of VNSP is from c. 2600 BCE to c.1300 BCE, being contemporary of Los Millares and El Argar (in SE Spain), of the late Megalithism, the Bell-Beaker phenomenon of which is a major center for at least two centuries (VNSP-II) of Minoan Crete, of Ancient Egypt, of Mycenean Greece.

Iberian trade in the Chalcolitic Age (c. 3000-1800 BCE) reached Scnadinavia (amber) and unprecise African regions (ivory and ostrich products). In the Bronze Age it reached also the Aegean (Mycenean or Minoan burial influences and beads). Astronomical knowledge seems to have been most precise (only recently studied) and I have reasons to think that VNSP had a some preeminence over the pre-IE peoples of Atlantic Europe without being any empire, just a vanguard: a cultural, comercial and maybe religious reference.

Wether this is enough to make VNSP Atlantis or not, it's up to each one. I think that it is probably the case.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 06:31
Naw I still do not believe it existed at all..... you can give the same arguement ofr parts in South America and the Balck sea
Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 07:54
I don't think there's any Greek connection in South America and the Black Sea is not beyond the columns of Herakles (Gibraltar strait), two important parts of the description of Atlantis. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2012 at 23:42

deleted

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 05-Dec-2012 at 14:19
 Post Reply Post Reply