Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the worst general

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the worst general
    Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 03:04
war always gave birth to the most brilliant general....but how bout the worst general,doesn't we find them to in the course of history...so who's ur pick...i start with the italian general in WW 2 Graziani...his 250.000 man was crushed by 35.000 british in north africa campaign
Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 10:33
The worst general? Any general who forgets the maxim "an army marches on its belly." An army can fight without arms and armor, but not without supplies and organization.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 12:39
well the worst American general by far was AMbrose Burnside, but for the entire world I would have to say either Santa Anna or whoever was the Russian general in the invasion of Finland.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 11:40

Burnside was plain clueless. Heheheh.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 04:18
Worse still than Graziani is Italian General Bergonzoli, nicknamed "electric whiskers" by his soldiers. Another, General Soddu was fired by Mussolini for spending more time composing music for the movies.

From the Spanish Army there was a General Silvestre who presided over the slaughter of 20,000 Spanish soldiers simply by not scouting for his Moroccan enemy first.

From the French, the worst must be General Gamelin who practically did nothing but brood in his headquarters at Vincennes while the Germans were busy liquidating the French army in 1940. Another must be General De Casteris at Dien Bien Phu.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 08:53
I don't really know if I we are talking about worst general in second world war or
entire history.In that i would put gen.Samsonow who lost his entire army in
masurian forest, and John Bell Hood "galant Hood of Texas" who recklessly waisted Armyof Tennese in 1864 -65 campain
dman View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote dman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 12:30

One of the best books I have read is "MILITARY BLUNDERS" by Geoffrey Reagan

(who has now written a sequel to the first).  Describes with brutal clarity the

buffons, incompentents, vain glorious or just plain unlucky through out history.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 13:02

Who was the initial British commander of the Anglo-Boer war either first or second actually both had their major blunders..

Horatio Gates in another atrocious American commander, as was the Italian general who invaded Ethiopia in 1890's

Theres lots of bad Italina generals it seems...The Romans have left the stage!

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2004 at 21:53
Which one Anglo- Boer War . First which ended up on Majuba Hill with slaughter of entire british force or second where Sir Redverse Buller waz made a scapegoat for administrative incompetence and coruption in the top eshelons of British Army.
If got  there , Lord Kitchener also commited quite a few blunders eg Pradeberg.
And lets go back to Ambrose Burnside.In my opinion he was very competent corp
comander,but not suited to command the army.
To my list i would like to add ( of course gen. Hood will always be the first generals
Braxton Bragg - never made a right decision, and Jubal Early - toally useles during the battle of Getysburg,Incompetent as a comander of second Valley Army, and after the Cyvil War smearing campeign against Longstreed.
 Post Reply Post Reply