Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

6th Millenium Rock Painting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6th Millenium Rock Painting
    Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 09:04
I found these really interesting pics of Rock Painting from the canyon of Aggitis. Am I the only one that can see a rider in these two pics and if so, what exactly does this do to the IE theory ???

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 11:35
i saw a rock painting in asia, a guy with a sort of jacket whas painted.-strange
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 13:30

Well, for one thing, how do we know that this was drawn in the 6th millenium BC?

Another thing, yes it may look like a rider, but that's not the only explanation. It may be a shaman dressed up as an animal. Note the elaborate head-dress.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 14:56
When compared to other similar drawings the date given does seem reletively 'young' and the 'style' is quite primitive when compared to artifacts of that date, I personally believe it must be of an older date, but that is what the article noted, so typo or not I really can't say..

If it is a depiction of a shaman, (don't know of other shaman paintings in the Balkans) I don't see why they'd paint/carve 6 legs, since I haven't seen anything like this,  but anyway, I'm open to suggestions.
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2005 at 17:59
Interesting.

Yet we have the problem of datation. Most murals are very dificult to give an accurate date, and normally only contextual archaeological finds help. I think there's a method to date using a tiny scratch of the material with what's been painted, but in this case they seem to be engravings, so it wouldn't work.

There's been much discussion on Iberian (and North African) human depicting post-Paleolithic murals, initially they were believed contemporary of Paleolithic cave art, but nowadas they are thought (quite solidly) to be much more modern, belonging to the Neolithic, Chalcolithic and Bronze ages. Still the exact datation of each of them is near to impossible.

So, in order to give them a datation of -6000, I would require contemporary findings of domestic horse, something that doesn't exist.

Yet, there's some not cleared polemic on wether horse could have been domesticated in Magdalenian times (by Basques, of course, ). The reason is that in Mas d'Azil beautiful carving of horse heads with what seem to be bridles have been found. In the same context, horse skulls with the characteristic deformation of teeth caused by boredom when stabulated have been found. Yet most scholars simply find dificult to believe that horse could have been domesticated in Paleolithic contexts, though it's quite likely that dog was. Myself I don't know what to think.

I've found an article dealing with this: http://donsmaps.com/tools.html

Some associated images:

Does it have a bridle?

And this one?

What about these three horseheads?

Mistery remains.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply