Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A neutral word for you-know-where

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A neutral word for you-know-where
    Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 14:44

Coming out of the thread on the Crusades....

Can anyone suggest a nice neutral word for that stretch of land between the Sinai and the Lebanon, and between the Mediterraneand and the river Jordan that doesn't raise somebody's hackles?

Israel and Palestine both currently have obvious objections. Moreover Israel and Judaea were rival Jewish kingdoms that rarely if ever included the coast, and Palestine, apart from its modern connotation (i.e. not-Israel), is just the Roman version of Philistia, which is only a part of it.

Maybe there's some value-free term in some language from a totally uninvolved part of the world. Like Chinese, maybe?

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 15:34
well i'm not sure what you mean. the costal strap you refer to (from Turkey to egypt is called the Levante. if you're looking for a synonym for the crusader states then use Outremer.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 15:47
Cisjordania might be a good name
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 16:59
Palestine is the correct neutral historical name. Israel was created out of the British mandate of Palestine, name that ws never contested in that time.

Cisjordan/Cisjordania is not adequate because in Spanish it is synonime of the West Bank territory, anyhow Jordan (ex-Transjordan) has already monopolized the name of the river.

I think that Palestine is the correct geographical name with long pedigree of about 2000 years or maybe more, while Israel is just a political name meaning exactly to express the State of the Jews or the Zionist State. Palestinians are the natives of that territory and Israelis are colonists or descendants of colonists that have stabilished there in the last decades.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 17:22
Outremer would be the historically correct name for that stretch of land whilst it was ruled by the Crusaders. Quite literally it was Frankish for "beyond the sea" - a piece of their civilization that literally was beyond the sea.

If that is too offensive for our Palestinian/Arab members, then stick to Palestine as that is the historically correct term for most of history. I might suggest Levant, but I think that also includes the coast of such areas as southern Anatolia and Egypt.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 18:58
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Outremer would be the historically correct name for that stretch of land whilst it was ruled by the Crusaders. Quite literally it was Frankish for "beyond the sea" - a piece of their civilization that literally was beyond the sea.

Outremer is already used for the current French overseas dependencies. they are either Rgion d'Outre mr (overseas region, oa Mayotte, St. Pierre et Miquelon), Dpartement d'Outre mr (overseas departement, oa Guyana, Guadaloupe) or Pays d'Outre mr (overseas country French Polynesia) (I'm not sure about these examples, French members may correct me if I'm wrong.)
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 19:28
Outremer is Guadloupe and Martinique... 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 20:52
LandofDeathandStrifeistan
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 23:33

What about Discordia? Kind of has a ring to it!

Levant is a good term, but I believe that it refers to the entire Eastern Mediterranean coast. Southern Levant, maybe?

What about Canaan? I know it's a jewish biblical term, but what exactly is its connotation?

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 00:15
"Canaan" was a term that the Egyptians of the New Kingdom used for southern Palestine, although the term was used even earlier by the Ugaritians, and, even the more ancient Eblaites used the term for a specific region in Syria.  An ancient Egyptian term for the whole of ancient Palestine was Retenu. 
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 01:36

A nice lot of quick answers.

Actually I used to say Palestine, which is essentially an Anglicised version of the name of the Roman province, but I ran into some heated opposition from Jewish fundamentalists since it ultimately derives from 'land of the Philistines.

Of those on offer, though I appreciate Tobodai's, I think for now I'll plump for Canaan. I'd overlooked that. It seems to be the Biblical name for it before the Hebrews invaded, so I don't see why Jews should object (it would be like the English referring to 'Britain', no?). I can't see why anyone else should object either, but someone probably will.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 03:53
The question is: if you use Palestine, which is the most valid name however you look at it, then you are opposed by a small minority of Jewish fundamentalist and/or Zionists. If you use Retenu  or something of the like, then you would be looked at like a pedantic jerk by everybody else, and probably by the same Zionists that protested your use of Palestine as well. So the only logical solution is to continue using Palestine as always and look upon the minority of Zionists with the authority and security of not being biased by any sectarian claim, just by history and common sense.

They are the newcomers, they are the ones who have to adapt. Besides, if you read Zionist literature they always used the term Palestine. It's the adequate name.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 06:31
The term "Palestine" as an expression of the whole region south of Phoenicia itself, is quite ancient.  Herodotus (2.104.3; 3.5.1; 7.89.1) knew of the Suroi hoi en tei Palaistinei, Suron ton PalaistinonSuroisi toisi en tei Palaistinei, "Syrians of Palestine", which in context describe the Jews.  Today the geographical expression "Syria-Palestine" describes the historical region between Mesopotamia and Egypt which also includes Phoenicia.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 13:19

How about,

Latitude 31.47N, Longitude 35.10E Region

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2005 at 23:43

Ah, the region of Jerusalem.  I think its a bit too specific.   

Post Reply Post Reply