Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Question on Forum Promoting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Question on Forum Promoting
    Posted: 29-Aug-2005 at 21:41
I need to ask a serious question,to those who have successful forums,forums with many activities and such,and possibly your answers can help people who don't have a successful forum and who can't simply market a forum because of budget or anything else,people like me.How can you successfully market a forum,or promote,to make it appeal to a certain type of person,without bothering any other forums with consistent advertising spam and endless partnerships where no one is essentially interested.And how to market it for free,or submit it search engines for free,or anything like that.

In Honor
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2005 at 23:56
I and a couple of friends of mine have 3 forums,

1. Warez; 83 000 users, with about 120 users online any time..and daily user count of over 5000 users.

2. Buisness; about 1500 users, with a daily user count of around 200 people (but dont count this one as its mainly work related and not really online related)

3. Game-Mod development(History) Forum : we havent really opened it yet fully, but still has 157 users, with daily user count of about 10.

(the last one is the one I advertized here a while back, was interested in amount of people that would take a look.. '2' which is funny, but I expected that much)

Old rule, sex, warez and rock'n'roll are the ones that get the real attention on the internet.

SO having a 'history' forum basically it comes down to advertizing, just about anyplace you can, friends, etc.. and on boards you visit then eventually you will build up a comunity. It also helps if there is couple people working at it not one.

But before all that you need some content, that means something worth being in your forum for, so 200-500 posts made with just 'bla bla' and headings isnt going to interest anyone.

a last note, if you advertize in warez forums, as a rule of thumb, only about 0.1%-0.01% of the whole public there will be interested in anything other than warez.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2005 at 01:15
For AE today, I think the most important source of traffic is the search engine. I would guess that most of the searches come to the forum through the AE main site. I think the main site has been very important in brining the traffic to AE.

In the early days, advertisment was the most important. More specifically, AE grew out of Heavengames history forum, and most of the early members were drawn from that place.
 Post Reply Post Reply