Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zoroastrianism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoroastrianism
    Posted: 24-Aug-2005 at 14:35
Did Zoroastrianism have an affect on Islam and Christianity? I've heard it has but I'm not totally sure. Can you guys fill me in?

And if it did, was it a major affect or a smaller one?

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 13:54
Good Day Cent:

I don't know about Islam, but I would certainly say that it did have an affect with christianity (at least with Catholicism), as I believe it was the first religion to teach the doctrines of "an individual judgment, Heaven and Hell, the future resurrection of the body, the general Last Judgment, and life everlasting for the reunited soul and body."   

According to Mary Boyce, who wrote a book about Zoaroast, "Zoroastrianism is the oldest of the revealed world-religions, and it has probably had more influence on mankind, directly and indirectly, than any other single faith."

Morty

Edited by morticia
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 13:59
Thank you very much Morticia!

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 16:19

yes the croats are the closest tied with zoroastrians as they are of iranic stock, with zoroastrism they were easily converted on catolicism

Mazdaism, ancient myths and religion of Croats
In addition to similarities in language, common cultural points can be pointed out as well. For example, reference can be made to the symbols belonging to the old-time Christians that resembled symbols of Mazdaism in the ancient Iran.

A study in this connection has drawn a parallel between the language used in Bosnia and littoral states and islands of the Adriatic Sea in two separate sections. The study further elaborates how followers of Mazda in ancient Iran converted to Christianity in Europe and how Mazdaism was spread in Europe by the migration of the inhabitants of the above-mentioned areas.

Other research works have studied the influence of traditions in ancient Iran on the symbols of the roots of old Christianity from the ancient time to the middle ages.

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 16:34
o great this guy again, well beside that

my friend is Zorastrian and tells me that the religion is one of the earliest to believe in one god
Shahanshah View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Shahanshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 21:41
Originally posted by hrwatman

yes the croats are the closest tied with zoroastrians as they are of iranic stock,

Hrwatman, croats probably have iranic background, but they are also were slavic, since they are mixed.

the bulgars in bulgaria (Bolgharistan in persian heh), were originally turkic, there are bulgars in russia today and they are turkic (i think they are turkic racially too im not sure),  but bulgars also have slavic and iranic background too. but it wil be ludacrous to say that bulgars are turkic, they are slavic now.

croats are probably more slavic than iranic.

back to the subject, i believe Mithrasm was a major factor and influence in Roman empire. whihc i think affected catholic christianity more.

King of Kings, The Great King, King of the world.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 22:18
Originally posted by Shahanshah

yes the croats are the closest tied with zoroastrians as they are of iranic stock,

Hrwatman, croats probably have iranic background, but they are also were slavic, since they are mixed.

the bulgars in bulgaria (Bolgharistan in persian heh), were originally turkic, there are bulgars in russia today and they are turkic (i think they are turkic racially too im not sure),  but bulgars also have slavic and iranic background too. but it wil be ludacrous to say that bulgars are turkic, they are slavic now.

back to the subject, i believe Mithrasm was a major factor and influence in Roman empire. whihc i think affected catholic christianity more.

all the bulgar friends i have consider them selves slavs
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2005 at 22:59
Originally posted by ill_teknique

Slavery is  wrong!!!!!!

Dari is a pimp master
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 00:08

Originally posted by Cent

Did Zoroastrianism have an affect on Islam and Christianity? I've heard it has but I'm not totally sure. Can you guys fill me in?

I would say that Zoroastrianism had a pretty big effect on Eastern Christianity during the late Roman and early Byzantine period.  It was a dualist religion, believing in two gods: one of light and spirit and the other of darkness and flesh. 

In Christianity it caused dualist heresies to develop.  One particularly nasty heresy was Manachism (initiated by a former Zoroastrian priest named Mani in the mid 2nd century AD), in which the practitioners were encouraged to commit ritual suicide in order to free themselves from their sinful flesh and the control of the god of darkness (whom they considered the god of the Old Testament to be). 

It took a while before the Byzantine church was able to stamp out the effects that this religion had on Christianity; probably until the time of Heraclius in the 7th century AD.  So it lasted for about 500 years in various forms. 

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 00:57
Originally posted by Dari

Slavery is  wrong!!!!!!

Yes, but he was referring to Slavs, not Slaves.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 07:09
Islam adopted the concept of 5 times a day prayer from Zaroastrianism.
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 07:23
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Dari

Slavery is  wrong!!!!!!

Yes, but he was referring to Slavs, not Slaves.

Well, some years ago, Bulgars considered themselves as slaves too...
CARRY NOTHING
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2005 at 13:08
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Originally posted by Cent

I would say that Zoroastrianism had a pretty big effect on Eastern Christianity during the late Roman and early Byzantine period.  It was a dualist religion, believing in two gods: one of light and spirit and the other of darkness and flesh. 

In Christianity it caused dualist heresies to develop.  One particularly nasty heresy was Manachism (initiated by a former Zoroastrian priest named Mani in the mid 2nd century AD), in which the practitioners were encouraged to commit ritual suicide in order to free themselves from their sinful flesh and the control of the god of darkness (whom they considered the god of the Old Testament to be). 

It took a while before the Byzantine church was able to stamp out the effects that this religion had on Christianity; probably until the time of Heraclius in the 7th century AD.  So it lasted for about 500 years in various forms. 

Dualism in Zoroastranism is very close to dualism in Christianity and Islam. There is a supreme creator or the good spirit(god) and there is an evil spirit (devil) In this concept the real difference between Christianity/Islam and Zoroastranism is that in Zoroastranism god is not the creator of the evil spirit

farohar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote farohar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 08:50

isn't it true that the name Slav is the Russian word for slave? I heard the Russians called the Slavic people Slav from the Russian word for slave.

I am deeply sorry if I am incorrect and apoplogise in advance, but it was something I heard in history class a while ago, I'm not even sure if it was the Russians...

Humata, Hukta, Huvarashta
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
farohar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote farohar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2005 at 09:10

and btw, Miller, I know there's a difference between Christianity/Islam and Zoroastranism in that the evil spirit isn't the creator of the evil spirit but that isn't really THAT big a difference.

I'm not religious and I don't wish to truly offend anyone... but isn't that kinda like getting watching a film and then deciding that you would have rather had the story go something like this...?

Edited by farohar
Humata, Hukta, Huvarashta
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Rakhsh View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Rakhsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 20:04
ohh the Zoroasterians get a raw deal, they are the reasons for angels and demons, reasons for many things including the greatest empire ever know
Never under estimate the predictablity of stupidity! - Bullet Tooth Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply