Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Korean and Japanese

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Korean and Japanese
    Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 17:23
Should they really be in the same group, and what Languages are they most similar too.

From what I know, Korean and Japanese are related gramtically...and the two most similar laguages to Korean Are Tamil and Turkish....
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 21:21

well I cant tell the difference when I look at them...lol

and thatsbad cause half of my family is Japanese.   But when I see an angry Asian lady I just assume she hasa hideously high pitched voice, and is a Dragon Lady,sorry. 

www.alllooksame.com

Edited by Tobodai
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 05:26

omg...on that website, I ended up selecting either Chinese or Japanese

Grrr..
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 16:58
I went there and now I think I did something wrong.......
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 17:39
12 out of 18...i'm decent
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 20:47
14 out of 18, thats pretty good I think, maybe Im better at telling than I thought.
-Alexander Hamilton
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 02:47
11/18...bah.. I'll wait till they speak to tell them apart
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 17:13

ok heres a questio...why do Chinese and Korean wors always seem to stay so monosylabic?

From what little I know you can tell the difference like this, Chinese sounds like "ching chang chong" (lol I bet those are real chinese ords too) and Korean has more of a vowel and y sound like "hyong myong dyeug" wheres Japanese strikes me as strange for its ords are very long and elaborate sounding.

-Alexander Hamilton
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 19:49
Some korean words seem very monosyllabic because they are borrowed from Chinese...ie the word country
Chinese:  Guo
Korean:  Gook
Japanes:  Goku

There are a lot or Korean words that are not monosyllabic like Grandfather:  Harabuji

BTW, Korean Names are not always 3 syllables....if you look at some of the ancient Korean names they sound a lot like Japanese names...well at least a few of them...

The longest Korean name I know of is of a king...it was Adalla Isagoom, followed by Ijinashi

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 20:00

Japanese language is very limited in terms of pronounciation. They tend to prounounce things very shallowly, without deep vowels, r's etc.

Olympic -> Olim-piku

Back -> Baku

Hot Tea -> Hoto...  (What kind of mutation is this one!?!?!?)

I hate this language. As a Persian in this forum said of Arabic, I find Japanese "the most disgusting language I have ever heard".  

Edited by Evildoer
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 08:37

gubuk: Isagum was a title meaning "king" not his name

and even today, there are names with 2 or 4 syllables

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 12:38
I think Vietnamese is the grossest laguage, especially because they have such nasty accents and high pitched-ness.
-Alexander Hamilton
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 17:00
Originally posted by Evildoer

Japanese language is very limited in terms of pronounciation. They tend to prounounce things very shallowly, without deep vowels, r's etc.

Olympic -> Olim-piku

Back -> Baku

Hot Tea -> Hoto...  (What kind of mutation is this one!?!?!?)

I hate this language. As a Persian in this forum said of Arabic, I find Japanese "the most disgusting language I have ever heard".  

for the first time, i agree with Evildoer...  japanese is indeed a very shallow and not too sophisticated.

and for those mutations of english words...i feel exactly the same!!!

i work in a japanese restaurant and i constantly have to put up with those mutations....no they don't say sushi set, they say sushi "seto"

an even funnier one is hot pot is pronounced as "HOTO POTO" lol

but they've been doing the same mutation/corruption thing for so long with chinese words already...they can't do that sudden stop in the pronounciation of a word that we have in chinese.

for example: baat=hachi

baak=hyaku

gok=koku/goku

the japanese chefs in my restaurant keep on insisting they hear this "mu" sound in the word kimchi...so kimchi in my restaurant in pronounced as "kimuchee"

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 22:46
oh yeah Ive heard that kim-oooooooooooooooooooooooooo-chee thing too
-Alexander Hamilton
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 14:01

Well, once again....  I refuse to accept the Mandarin should be used as the standard of Chinese pronounciation.  In more traditional Chinese the word for country is pronounced Gok.  It is a half tone work which is the essence of Chinese language but is missing from mandarin.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
phoenix_bladen View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote phoenix_bladen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 23:05

i thought japanese sound good........but iguess everyone has different tastes

but i think taiwanese mandarin sounds good

have you ever listened to some songs ?

korean....average...sometimes it sounds bad

and vietnamese sound really really bad...maybe cause i haven't gotten used to it...but ti is really really bad especially some songs turned me down....

o mannnn i hope cantonese doesn't sound bad but from what i heard it does........damn cause i'm native to it!!

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 13:30
I seem to have a Mongolian Language fetish...it just sounds so cool to me...
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 14:50

Me too

Mangkhol-un niucha tobcha'an

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Shifty Russian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 01:04

Far Out!!!

4/18

That's horrible - i claim my self to be the King of telling people apart. Especially now that I live in Sydney, CBD - where there's a large Asian population - Prodominantly Chinese, then Korean, Malaysian, Japanese and then Indonesian and Singaporean being the minorites in respective orders.

Personally i thought the test was pretty damn hard - And designed to be that way - because I think - a few seemed to be mixed-blood (most politically correct way of saying it i guess)obsorbed by other cultures and Westernised. (i'm not sure where they got their participants from) And don't take my words too lightly - a friend of mine who introduced me to this server is Chinese (babyblue) - I'm every day in an internet cafe 80% of the visitors of asian decent. And once had a Japanese girl friend (not to mention all the Asian friends I had in school)

11/18...bah.. I'll wait till they speak to tell them apart

I guess hearing them speak does help

Given my constant contact with people from an array of Asian countries - can any of you explain why i did so bad??

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 02:16

because u suck shifty...

Post Reply Post Reply