Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pentagon: China’s Military Strengthening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentagon: China’s Military Strengthening
    Posted: 24-Jul-2005 at 20:20
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Genghis

The goal of any state is to secure as great a portion of the world's total power for themselves in the interest of security.  The geopolitical world is anarchic, no one defends the victims of international law, the only security is that which you provide yourself.  Thus the goal of any security seeking state is global hegemony, the ability to destroy any threat to themselves through ovewhelming superiority.  Global parity with any other power is inherently less secure than hegemony and therefore a worse situation to be in.

For that reason America must work to destory this nascent threat to our global hegemony.  Any other course of action is antithetical to our security interests.

Those are all fair tenets of the interplay of power in international politics. But my question is how is this "threat" meant to be destroyed? China has always been a massively powerful nation, for the vast bulk of its existence it was hugely more powerful than any other nation in the world. The period of Western superiority is something I look at as an interruption in that trend of primacy, something finally coming to an end after a period of 200 years. China has a government keen on utilizing every part of the country's resources for progress, has a large amount of territory and natural resources, is very receptive to global ideas and technology, and lives on memories that for the bulk of its existence saw it as the prime state in the world. So now China is finally, and rapidly, advancing through a combination of those above factors, which is perfectly natural. For China to sustain such a growth and to continue to become more and more powerful is perfectly sustainable. Like it or not, China is simply going to continue rising.

So the question is what do we do about it? Well the answer seems to be nothing, just sit back and let the inevitable happen. To actually try and DO something about China's strengthening, i.e. to prevent it , doesn't seem to me to be a viable option. To try and sabotage, invade, bomb, threaten the country would only make things worse. The only thing that seems to be available is to sit back, watch them grow, be uncomfortable about it and simply put up with it. What other option is there?

Well, I don't think China's rise is necessarily preordained (as Stalin said "everything in the world may change").  Egypt used to be very powerful yet that is not in the cards for the foreseeable future.  I think the Chinese will also have a hard time continuing their rapid rise indefinitely (kind of like what happened to Japan, they plateaued after a few decades).  That in my opinion doesn't make them any less of a threat.  A country that has gotten a taste of power might be violent in trying to get more.  Or like Japan, China is becoming very dependent on foreign raw materials like Arab oil, which like Imperial Japan could be bad for the world. 

To deal with this threat, I think initiatives like demanding currency reform to harm the Chinese economy are needed.  Political and military containment is needed to stop any military adventurism through alliances with India and the remilitarization of Japan.  Actions to inflame domestic tensions like those in Tibet and Xinjiang, and those current riots by workers and farmers  and undermining of the CCP would also be helpful.  If China does go through another revolution it would also be imperative to use the opportunity to lop off areas of China like Tibet, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, Manchuria, etc. and perhaps create a general fracturing of China into minor states as has happened in the past.  That's certainly not all that should be done, but I think you get the picture.

Member of IAEA
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 06:10
Not noble policies, but again international relations of power is not something often characterised by chivalrous interplay. Nothing is to say the rise of any nation is inevitable but we can only be hypothetical with the likely probabilities.

Most of these options dealing with the formation of alliances and diplomatic maneuvering seem quite viable in preventing Chinese hegemony on face value, yet with such tight government control and willingness to crush any hint of dissent (Tiananmen) I doubt the opportunity to fan the flames of local rebellion or a nation wide revolution will arise. Any moves that can be made, IMO, would result in a minor weakening of Chinese growth, yet I doubt would have any really decisive effect in preventing their overall march towards increasing their power. Unlike what we saw with the USSR, the Chinese government has proven to be very resilient in both maintaining its power and ensuring the success of China as a nation state which is steadily rising in prominence.

The Chinese may be becoming more dependent on foreign raw materials, yet many other powerful countries including the USA have this problem with the resource of oil. They always seem to find a way around such difficulties, and these days so many countries are heavilt reliant on trade with China that any idea of an economic alliance designed to starve the Chinese simply wouldn't work IMO.

Also the solutions you raise to this issue beg some questions. China is not the only rising power in the world today, just the most noticeable. Though behind China, other nations may also rise to be a rival to US hegemony. As globalization sets in smaller nations may also pool their resources and converge together to better their chances of remaining viable. How does the USA intend to prevent this type of rising rival? Can the US, to preserve its hegemony, possibly try and frustrate a whole swathe of rising nations and converging confederacies all at once? In the future it is very much conceivable the USA will be looking across at half a dozen "Chinas" all trying to rise in economic strength and global prominence. One rising rival can be partly damaged and seriously annoyed, but how can hegemony be maintained in the face of a whole list of major blocs which come to form a majority of the world's people and resources? Surely the same underhanded and diplomatic solutions cannot be applied in stopping that sort of scenario.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 09:18

Constantine:

I would not be too concerned about "blocs" forming power centers.  Islamic states have been looked upon as a possible force such as this for some time, and there are so many tribal, ethnic and religious differences that it seems most unlikely.  Also, only one relatively concentrated geographical area holds most of the Islamic "world's" wealth, that being just one commodity.

Europe cannot agree on a fundamental form of organization, much to the frustration of elitist bEUROcrats who like to have others do what they say and acknowledge their exalted positions.  Western Europeans look down their snoots at Eastern Europeans (the Polish plumber syndrome), and the French, as usual, want to run everyTHING and succeed in annoying everyONE.  There is no way the British are going to be told what to do by Italians and Danes meeting in Brussels, Belgium.

Latin America has one of the largest states in the world in Brazil, but their official reality is in Portuguese, and the rest of them exist in Spanish.   Latin America has had 200 years with few (and no disastrous) wars to set them back, and they have not accomplished that much in the way of integration or cooperation.  Too many conflicting interests.

Asia......well that is the point of the thread.  In north Asia, I would see a Sino-Confucian power center with China and any dependencies (Korea, possibly Vietnam if they don't go to war with each other).  In south Asia, I would see an Indian-Hindu power center and these powers would inevitably be rivals.  Both are incompatible with 'militant' Islam.......there will be much conflict over all this.  It may be that all these powers will be busy with their own security concerns, and not as concerned with fighting the United States.  We are NOT going to invade China or India. 

Africa is a sad case.

It seems to me that the U.S. will mend the fences it needs to in order to contain any Chinese expansionism in Asia (which isn't very likely anyway considering their history).  Japan economically, and Australia culturally are attached to America.  They would be threatened by such expansionism, and both of them are certainly unsinkable aircraft carriers.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 21:00
Those are all good points and i agree with some of the analysis. Personally I don't see Africa becoming a centre of power in the world during my lifetime, Australia by itself has no desire to become powerful and will continue to pursue its less martial interests. But I do have to ask questions when it comes to the other areas of the world. None of these areas have yet risen to a position of prominence, but I am theorizing with the forces of globalization in mind.

From my perspective South American, possibly including some Central American, integration does not seem all that implausible. Excluding French Guinea and Guyana there are only two dominant languages spoken in South and Central America, Portugese and Spanish being two tongues very closely related. The lands there do possess a wealth of natural resources, including oil. Though much of their economy is agricultural, there are still areas like Argentine and Uruguay which possess a strong industrial base and excellant standards in education. As you mentioned the area has not destroyed itself with wars like Africa and the lack of bad blood would make integration much easier. The area is far less inhibited by language barriers than EU countries and the economic synergy from creating at least an economic bloc would be formidable.

India, well that most definitely is a rising power and will occupy a position like China's in the not too distant future.

Eastern Europe and Russia are problematic. I can see potential in them, but realistically they are simply too politically weak to be capable of uniting. I would wait at least 20 years before re-examining the ability of those nations to form a powerful bloc.

The Middle East is also too politically weak and forms such a heterogeneous combination of views on how to respond to the powerful West and globalization that I cannot see them seeing eye to eye. The only thing which they seem to have in common is a universal disatisfaction with Israel, and that by itself is not a strong enough force for unity.

The EU I am unsure about. As much as they stumble and struggle with unity though, I think eventually they will get around to it. The wealth of the world is slowly travelling to the developing nations who are rapidly emerging as more and more economically powerful. I have read some astounding figures in my Commerce books, which claim that in terms of gross resources we can look forward to seeing a total of 15% of it shifting from possession of the West to the major economic players in Asia between 2005 and 2020. As wealth trickles away from the developed world, and Europe especially, I predict they will not simply sit idly by and let it happen. Eventually they will put economic expediency ahead of their petty nationalistic grudges and simply get on with it.

One area I think which has been neglected here is South East Asia though, a region which also has massive natural resources and population at its disposal. The first attempts to bring unity to this region were actually made by the US, creating SEATO in an effort to combat the spread of Communism. As someone who lives in this region and has a media ever watchful of its developments I have to say the chances of economic unity here are quite good. The countries here are already largely involved in an indepth trade agreement and have steadily been making huge leaps forward in their development of infrastructure and use of local resources. Their level of technical skill, infrastructure, education and industrialisation continue rapidly to rise. Though many countries in the region have one on one rivalries (e.g. Malaysia and Singapore) the governments in these countries seem to be very economically pragmatic, and even if an overarching governmental authority is not established here I am willing to bet they would be happy to form one for the regulation of economic affairs. Australia may even be included in such an integration. With one of the highest standards in education in the world Australia already trains an enormous amount of Asia's professional and highly skilled workers. Often sent here in their mid-late teens they learn English and their families pay heavily to give them the best quality education our universities provide. Education is, infact, our fourth largest export. Our government is a curious mixture of the Western liberal democratic state and the economically aggressive and pragmatic neighbouring countries in our region. Australia may be culturally tied to the US and UK to a lesser extent, but our government has no doubts as to where we need to trade. Last year the Australian government pressured Papua New Guinea into backing down from officially recognising Taiwan as an independent nation and was rewarded with a 100 billion dollar trade deal when the Chinese Premier paid his first visit to Canberra. I would not say an integration of powers will happen in my region in the next 5-10 years, but I hardly see it as an impossibility by 2020.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2005 at 23:10

As with Pikeshot, I don't see much of a threat from the limping European Union who seem to have merely taken a 50 year break from their thousand year old tradition of rivalry because of the Cold War.  The Middle East as well seems unlikely to form any such union.  I'm surprised to see that you think that Southeast Asia could organize itself into a bloc given the ancient rivalries between the Vietnamese, Cambodians, Burmese, etc. 

With regards to your saying that it will not be economically expedient to thwart the rise of China, I admit that is true, but I don't think it's impossible.  Nations fear danger more than they like money.  The British hurt their own economy with the Navigation Acts of 1651 because it hurt the Dutch more.  America today refuses to trade with Cuba or North Korea, and we refused to trade with the Soviet Union.  America is also now a competitor for the juicy global marketplace and will, IMHO, further chill our lukewarm relations.

In my anthropology class we talked much about globalization, which I don't think is only a force for integration, it can be a force for separation.  It exposes people to others who they are different from and compete with for resources and prestige and in a sense is a vehicle for the "othering" of foreign peoples.  Look at how the Arab nations and the West have been driven further apart in the time of globalization, and how the Eastern and Western Europeans turn cold shoulders to one another.  In a sense, the old equilibrium is maintained and I don't see a blending of states into provinces within regional blocs. 

As for domestic unrest in China, I don't think China's government and it's current state can remain in disharmony much longer, unless the Communist Party decides to just because fascist and capitalist.  Even if that happened it would almost certainly schism the party between hardliners and reformers.  About labor, I read in the report to Congress that is the subject of this thread, that in 2004 there were 58,000 riots by farmers and workers over mistreatment by local authorities.  I think a massive upheaval in the government of China is extremely likely, the question is how violent it will be.  If I were in charge of America, I would seek to make sure it was as violent as possible.  As you put in lightly "not noble", but necessary nonetheless.

As for your assertion that many other "Chinas" may form, that is certainly a possibility.  The only one I think could perhaps fit that description is India at the moment.  I don't really see them challenging us for global hegemony in the foreseeable future.  They still have much to do to get their house in order and will probably be worried more so with Pakistan than with making enemies with the US.  The Chinese GDP-PPP is also at this moment  is also about 52% that of the US (according to nationmaster.com), the Indian figure is only 25% of the American one and would take enormous growth relative to the US GDP for a very long amount of time to even come close to matching the US GDP.  A powerful India I also don't think would be bad for the US.  The Indian Ocean is not an important region to the US and having an ally there would be good for us.  We also both have much the same enemies, Jihadists (India in Kashmir and America across the globe) and the the Chinese.  Other than a very powerful India in the very distant future assuming there is a massive cooling off of our mutual relations, I see China as the only present or foreseeable threat to American hegemony for many years.

Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12