Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who were the (original) Slavs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who were the (original) Slavs?
    Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 02:13
Why is it inaccurate regarding Macedonia?
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 03:57
I don't find the map inaccurate. I find it rather peculiar.
All other regions are noted with plain, italic capitals, whereas Macedonia and Thrace are in block bold capitals. Why is there special interest shown for these regions? I wonder...
CARRY NOTHING
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2005 at 06:31
The communists have done their trick. Greater Macedonia and a Greter Thrace were always their dream thanks to dear old mamma Russia.
What I find equally interesting beside the block bold capitals in the names mentioned is that the ONLY city mentioned is that of Thessaloniki. Looks alot like some of the propaganda maps I've seen promoted by the FYROMians right after they issued the bank notes with the "White Tower" of Thessaloniki on them. 
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
philiptheuniter View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote philiptheuniter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 00:36
Originally posted by Paul

I always thought the Slav's were the ancient Greeks of Plato and Alexander's time.

After they got kicked out of ancient Greece they headed east, became nomadic barbarians for a few centuries and returned to Europe as the Slav's.

Is that a joke?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 01:40
Originally posted by Menippos

I don't find the map inaccurate. I find it rather peculiar.
All other regions are noted with plain, italic capitals, whereas Macedonia and Thrace are in block bold capitals. Why is there special interest shown for these regions? I wonder...

I think that has a logic explanation: all names in italics are names of peoples like Finns, Lithuanians or Bulgarians, while Macedonia and Thrace are names of geographical regions. Why did the author only name those regions and not others? That's another story. But for the sake of the topic I would try not to be so much nitty-picky.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 02:24
I think the reason for the scarcity of place-names is the size of the printed map itself.  It only measures 2 1/2" x 2 5/8" (6.3 x 6.7 cm) on paper.  With such a small space to work with, the publisher himself needed to make the print big enough for most to see with little difficulty, without overlapping other map labels.
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 03:39
Sharrukin saves the day!
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 03:53
I disagree. The author has a clear preference to these regions for some reason. I am sure that, regarding the development of slavic communities, there are more important regions than Macedonia and Thrace. Those should have been mentioned rather than the ones above.
CARRY NOTHING
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 23:00

If you were looking at this map compared to other maps in the entire atlas, you would probably not even notice the labeling, to draw such conclusions.  The atlas is concerned with the entire scope of world history, and it does an awesome job of doing that, with beautiful colored and detailed maps.   That particular map is so minor, compared to other maps in the atlas, some of which take two facing pages, that it's virtually ignorable!!!  It's really one of a handful of maps of the smallest scale in the entire atlas.  With that perspective, no one who casually uses this atlas, can draw such conclusions.  There is no conspiracy here.

The author chose to label regions using Slavic tribal names instead of place-names.  So what?  When it comes to Macedonia and Thrace, there really were not any major Slavic tribal group.  The historic sources simply called those Slavic groups in those two regions, Sclavini, "Slavs".  Yes, we read of such groups as the Melingi and the Ezerites, but they were so minor compared to the major tribal groups further north, that, on a map of this small scale their mention would have been very disproportionate to the regions they actually inhabited.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12