Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

China Warns the US nuclearwise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China Warns the US nuclearwise
    Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 07:27
from BBC

China general warns US on Taiwan
Two Taiwan Navy Knox-class frigates, June 21,2005.
The US is Taiwan's biggest arms supplier
A senior Chinese general has warned that China might respond with nuclear weapons against the US if Washington attacked his country over Taiwan.

Major General Zhu Chenghu is not directly involved in China's military strategy, but these comments could add to tensions with the US.

They come at a time when many US politicians are already concerned about China's military build-up.

Beijing considers Taiwan a renegade province of mainland China.

The US is currently Taiwan's biggest arms supplier and has indicated it would defend the island in the event of a Chinese invasion.

"If the Americans draw their missiles and position-guided ammunition onto the target zone on China's territory, I think we will have to respond with nuclear weapons," Maj Gen Zhu told an official briefing for foreign reporters.

The general said his comments were "my assessment, not the policy of the government," according to The Asian Wall Street Journal.

He added that he was confident the US and China would not go to war.

A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman told Reuters news agency the ministry was looking into the comments.

------------------------------------------------------

looks like China is getting fear less from the US, and talking about nuclear is not a good idea for both of them.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 07:38

Gung Ho Gung Ho Gung Ho

Reminds me of Dr. Strangelove and that very Gung Ho U.S. commander.  The Chinese commander is not going to stay in his position for a long time.  Expect him to be removed from his post quietly by the authorities.

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 09:01
Nah! He's surely expressing a official position while appearing to be a personal opinion. Very diplomatic.

I think that China will invade Taiwan in the near future and I also think that the USA will do nothing... after all it's an internal issue (when convenient). Taiwan is very important for China but not that much for the USA anymore. It has lost political relevance as happened with Yugoslavia before the war.
JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 11:06
I think China will not invade Taiwan, it will continue to isolate the Taiwanese Independence supporters and separate them from the general public and continue to develop ties with the Blue Line parties.  Thus we saw the leaders of 3 major parties visit China.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 23:04
I think America would defend Taiwan, more and more people are seeing China as a rival with the US for world hegemony, something Americans have grown fond of.
Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply