Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Empress Myeongseong (Queen Min)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Argentum Draconis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Argentum Draconis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Empress Myeongseong (Queen Min)
    Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 20:11
Can Korean members inform me about this person? It is said she was a great ruler but I dont know much about her. What did she do for inner and foreign matters and how did she die? I have seen two suggestions about her death one was her being killed by 2 assasins other was her being killed by 50 samurais which stormed the palace. Common idea is her being raped.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 22:11

I never understood why Koreans liked her. She was a reactionary in a time when reactionaries were dangerous and impeded modernization.  It was her staunch idiocy that in the long run led to a Japanese takeover of Korea through her failure to refrom and modernize.  She was killed by assains hired secretly by the Japanese consolate but there were no such thing as samurai in existence anymore when she was killed.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 00:08
She was also a staunch supporter of the pro-Russian group...I guess she wanted the counter the pro-Japanese group.

I think Koreans like her because she's a "martyr" of sorts..

Personally I think that if she had continued to live, she would have ended up as a Cixi type ruler and screwed over Korea anyways.

She did have nice hair though.
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 20:16

think about what it represents for Koreans..

a group of lowly gangsters from Japan gangraped and burned your queen(then called the mother of the country)

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 20:10
heh, nationalistists think is silly ways.  Theres nothing I would love more for some lowly gangsters from another country to have killed and raped some of Americas worst rulers.  Would anyone like to go back and kill Andrew Jackson?  I wish!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
doorman View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote doorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 18:31
I have mixed feelings about this woman. She was politically very astute  and had what it takes to be  a capable ruler on the other hand she  was not too keen on reform. 
oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 05:49
Originally posted by Tobodai

I never understood why Koreans liked her. She was a reactionary in a time when reactionaries were dangerous and impeded modernization.  It was her staunch idiocy that in the long run led to a Japanese takeover of Korea through her failure to refrom and modernize.  She was killed by assains hired secretly by the Japanese consolate but there were no such thing as samurai in existence anymore when she was killed.

Is it because of the popular TV play, which stirred up the fantacy of the queen?

Even the Chinese Central TV (CCTV) had introduced the TV play. In my memory, it is the first South Korean historical TV play that was ever broadcasted by this official TV channel, which seemed a little unusual.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 08:29
I don't like her, but Koreans like her because Japanese killed her and that single reason makes her a matyr.  She wasn't too good in politics, and the only thing she cared about was to stay in power, which she did with astounding skills.  She ended up bringing Qing, Japan, and Russia into Korea.  Japan defeated them one by one, killed the queen, and soon took over.
Grrr..
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 12:27
I just read the story of Queen Min.  Very tragic.
 Post Reply Post Reply