Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hagia Sofia-The jewel of the Byzantine Empire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hagia Sofia-The jewel of the Byzantine Empire
    Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 14:58

Its been much argued when the Roman empire became the Byzantine empire, the Oxford history of Byzantium suggests two periods.

The 4th century most probably 395 when the Roman empire was last ruled by a single Emperor.

OR

Between 575 and 650, applying to not long after Justinian the greats death to just after Heraclius' death.

Its really a matter of opinion because its impossible to pinpoint when Rome became Byzantium, however i'll make this compromise, Hagia Sophia was built by a Roman Emperor ruling over an ever increasing Greek empire, so is a combination of both civilisations.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 15:20
Wasn't it after the death of Constantine the Great (sometime around 330) that the empire was divided in 3 and ruled by his sons Constantine II, Flavius Julius Constantius and Flavius Julius Constans that took charge of West Middle and East 'districts/divisions'?
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 16:07

Yes the empire was divided between, Constantine who got Britannia Gaul and Hispania, Constans who got Italy Africa and the Balkans/Danube and Constantius who got Asia Minor, Syria and Egypt etc. It didnt last long though I think within 2 years, Constantine attempted to seize Constans' territory but was defeated and Constans was later killed by a usurper, leaving Constantius to decide on a western Emperor.

The point when the Roman empire ceased being Roman is widely open to debate.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 21:31
Really it was a process of gradual tranformation, though some aspects Rome and Byzantium always held in common such as their theological and religious ideologies. I think a transforming period rather than a precise date is the best way to view it, with the period 602-642 being the period that an attempt at regaining the full heritage of the Roman Empire failed and the Empire was subsequently reduced to being a medieval Greek state more or less confined to the Balkans, Anatolia and the East Mediterannean.
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 21:42
In my opinion, Romans ceased to be Romans when they accepted Christianity. Christianity drastically changed the Roman Way.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2005 at 21:56

Originally posted by Artaxiad

In my opinion, Romans ceased to be Romans when they accepted Christianity. Christianity drastically changed the Roman Way.

The Romans swapped a religion they adopted from the Greeks to a religion they adopted from the Judaeans. I don't see how they cease to be Romans because of that.

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 14:50
Originally posted by Constantine XI

....Interestingly with that clearer picture of the Emperor (not the one of John II Comnenus and his wife) there is a story behind its origins. The woman in the picture below him is Empress Zoe, the legitimate reigning monarch. She first married the man who became known as Romanus III and the picture was originally of him. When Romanus died, Zoe remarried the man who became Michael IV and so Michael's face was painted over that of Romanus. When Michael died and Zoe married Constantine IX, Constantine's face in turn replaced Michael's.

Luckily for Constantine IX, Zoe died before he did, so his face is preserved for all of us to see today.
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 15:04
Originally posted by Makros

What if they returned Hagia Sophia over to the greek orthodox patriarch, as a sign of peace and goodwill. anyways, they already have a better looking mosque next door. wouldn't that be cool.
Originally posted by Mortaza

isnt this much to want? We still  dont trust greek orthodox patriarch much, and you wish a sign of peace and goodwill(Priced much)

Ok, at the risk of starting something here - I would like you (Mortaza or any other Turk here) to expand on this.  Not being either Greek or Turkish, I am curious what is the source of this mistrust, and (more importantly) if it is current.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 15:15
Hagia Sofia is a wonderful building.

The architecture of Turkish mosques was inspired from it.

It think it should remain as a museum:

- Muslims have more than enough mosques.

- Orthodox people of Istanbul are not numerous enough.

Edited by Barış
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 17:30

I visited Hagia Sophia Today and took a few pictures at there.

+

+

Justinianus I : "Solomon! I have surpassed you!!" Solomon: "Lol."

And ofcourse Turkish one:

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

That's all. Thanks

Justinianus I, Isidorus, anthemious and the workers, thank you for this great building. Respect.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12